Print Page | Close Window

Schoolboy football

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: Get your nicks and socks on!
Forum Name: The Coaches Room
Forum Description: Training ideas / moany players / moany parents / Coaching badges etc
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55353
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 2:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Schoolboy football
Posted By: BigStrongMan
Subject: Schoolboy football
Date Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:17am
The old thread is locked.
Is there a transfer window in DDSL from July 1st?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Replies:
Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:13pm
There will be a window for 17s and 18s but no others.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: DylanCCFC
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 2:43pm
Anyone at the Kennedy Cup? What's the standard like?

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
Didn't make it down this year, just keeping an eye on the results the last few days. Quarter Finals on at 5pm:
A- DDSL v Athlone
B -NDSL v Sligo/Leitrim
C - Kildare v Galway
D - Limerick Desmond v Cork

Semi Finals tomorrow
A v D
B v C

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 4:18pm
As usual the DDSL will win it and probably not concede a single goal.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 4:28pm

What's the story with the DDSL Gary. Someone told me that there's fook all teams in it after u16's so I went and checked their website. There is currently four 17's divisions and only two 18's divisions. 

Now it's nearly 20 years since I was a schoolboy but there was way more divisions in the DDSL back then. What's happening? Are participation rates dropping or are other leagues (NDSL etc) growing? 
I imagine the LOI underage structure may be having an impact on some of the top clubs

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:05am
Firstly - it always tails off after u16s.

Secondly - since the calendar year change u18s is now u17s and so on.

Thirdly - you cant get the fcukers out of bed on a Sunday morning so most play LSL on Sat afternoon

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Firstly - it always tails off after u16s.

Secondly - since the calendar year change u18s is now u17s and so on.

Thirdly - you cant get the fcukers out of bed on a Sunday morning so most play LSL on Sat afternoon

Nice one for that. That makes sense. 

This year in the LSL loads of team went bang during the season, it seemed to be more than usual, and I wonder are participation rates in general (adult) lower than they were. 
I know a lot of fellas who are good players but they just want to play astro once a week and keep the weekends free. 

Anyway, that's prob a discussion for another thread. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:09pm

Anyone watching the live steam of the Kennedy cup final between DDSL and Sligo/Leitrim? It's on the FAI facebook page now

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:06pm
Yeah was watching a bit of it. DDSL look very comfortable, others not getting a look in really. 2-0 the last time I looked

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 4:04pm
Won 2-0, their 14th win since the turn of the century

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 4:43pm
Imagine being the DDSL coach that didn't win it

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by DylanCCFC DylanCCFC wrote:

I remember it. Was it S Rice?Kerry won it 2/3 years ago

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

I remember it. Was it S Rice?Kerry won it 2/3 years ago

Correct.

Also about 10 years ago the NDSL won it when John Devine coached the DDSL.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 9:21am
Kevin's allowed into the new u15's national league I hear .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 1:54pm
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/st-kevins-boys-firmly-in-the-frame-for-new-u15-league-as-decisions-loom-35868957.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/st-kevins-boys-firmly-in-the-frame-for-new-u15-league-as-decisions-loom-35868957.html
Strange that others have been turned down but they seem to be getting in. Another team from Dublin isn't really needed in fairness

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
This will cause absolute murder.

Another shambles by the FAI.

Another thing I saw yesterday was the DDSL introducing matches for clubs academy teams.
These are for 5s and 6s. An absolute fcuking joke.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:21pm

I’d imagine the bigger Dublin schoolboy clubs are gonna lose their sh*t over this 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm
I can't wait to hear the FAI try to justify this one! There will be absolute mayhem if this goes through.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:48pm
Be killings and rightly so. What they even thinking?

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:57pm

The FAI never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm
Money is power and Kevins have an abundance of money, no doubt some underhand dealing going on again, kevins single handedly killed schoolboy football a long time ago

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

kevins single handedly killed schoolboy football a long time ago
Can you expand on this ?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:49am
I thought that the reason for the underage LOI was to provide a pathway to the senior team? Where are the Kevins players gonna go after U15? Madness from the FAI.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:20am

I thought that the reason for the underage LOI was to provide a pathway to the senior team? Where are the Kevins players gonna go after U15? Madness from the FAI.
This is the thing you see.

SKB players will then go across the water like they do now, for a small consideration  of course Wink

SKB can still host their u13 Academy Cup against the cream of Europe every Easter.

Status quo maintained, everyone's a winner Rodders.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:29am

This is the thing you see.

SKB players will then go across the water like they do now, for a small consideration  of course Wink

SKB can still host their u13 Academy Cup against the cream of Europe every Easter.

Status quo maintained, everyone's a winner Rodders.

So the FAI absolutely bottle the big decision at the first sight of trouble. This makes a mockery of the underage LOI plans.  

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

So the FAI absolutely bottle the big decision at the first sight of trouble. This makes a mockery of the underage LOI plans.  
Exactly.

Player Pathway me bollix.

Every other club has implemented these recommendations and now its been thrown back in their face. 

-------------

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:10pm

Can you expand on this ?

I've two kids playing at St. Kevins and haven't a bad word to say about them. People complain about them that they're all about the money etc. and this and that but the coaching, facilities and opportunities the kids get is second to none. The kids are also emersed in a level of professionalism that helps prepare them if they pursue a professional career in football.      

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

Can you expand on this ?

I've two kids playing at St. Kevins and haven't a bad word to say about them. People complain about them that they're all about the money etc. and this and that but the coaching, facilities and opportunities the kids get is second to none. The kids are also emersed in a level of professionalism that helps prepare them if they pursue a professional career in football.      

That's grand for Kevins and the kids there if they are good enough. However, SKB are going against the plan for the development of the Irish game. We have a dearth of young talent coming through and the underage LOI structure has been put in place to try and address that. SKB are taking the piss out of it and now can continue to punt young lads to Stevenage and Fleetwood for a few bob to the detriment of the rest of Irish football. 

Case in point 

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fourth-tier-comes-first-for-kevins-35650746.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fourth-tier-comes-first-for-kevins-35650746.html

Finally when it looked like something good was happening at underage level, it has been completely undermined. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:57pm

Can you expand on this ?

That's grand for Kevins and the kids there if they are good enough. However, SKB are going against the plan for the development of the Irish game. We have a dearth of young talent coming through and the underage LOI structure has been put in place to try and address that. SKB are taking the piss out of it and now can continue to punt young lads to Stevenage and Fleetwood for a few bob to the detriment of the rest of Irish football. 

Case in point 

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fourth-tier-comes-first-for-kevins-35650746.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fourth-tier-comes-first-for-kevins-35650746.html

Finally when it looked like something good was happening at underage level, it has been completely undermined. 
They're not the only ones. The Summer Soccer was always going to be the big one in the Development Plan. Kildare were due to change from this month and a week before the season was to start it was pulled. They're reverting to the standard season commencing in August as they normally would. Looks like that part of it will never get off the ground.
There are leagues not even implementing the first few recommended steps yet

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm

Imagine we had a football governing body who had a bit of bollox and actually enforced their plans. 
You can be sure if there supporters or reporters were giving the main men in the FAI grief then they would be put in their place as we have seen in the past. 
I wonder why they can't make the clubs and the leagues tow the line in the same manner? (That was a rhetorical question by the way) 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:49pm

Can you expand on this ?
I've no issue with SKB at all and have attended two of the last 3 Academy Cups.

But to say that other clubs don't have the same coaching, facilities and opportunities is wrong.
There is also a 'level of professionalism' at a lot of clubs even those outside the elite formally so-called 'Big 6'.

SKB still use two council pitches and share an astro with a school.

This is the FAI's cock up not SKB's.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:20pm

Exactly.

Player Pathway me bollix.

Every other club has implemented these recommendations and now its been thrown back in their face. 

Spot on from MCH and GMcK. You'd swear SKB were the only show in town when it comes to development of elite players. They shouted loudest and with the most consistency against this and the spineless t*ssers in the FAI folded when they just needed to show a tiny bit of f*cking backbone - it wouldn't have taken much fortitude for the FAI to simply inform SKB that all schoolboy clubs must get on board with the structures laid out in the development plan. Ah well, at least we can look forward to a full and frank discussion (awkward questions and dissenting voices welcome as always) on the subject at the annual North Korea themed AGM next month .

-------------

Posted By: Yoco Santos
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:13pm

Can you expand on this ?

Case in point 

I believe one of those lads has been let go at the end of the season there. 

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 2:10pm
Confirmed that SKB are in.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 3:08pm

Confirmed that SKB are in.
Under the premise that they talk to Bohs.

Yeah right !!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 3:20pm

Pretty much sums up the FAI

-------------

Posted By: Row Z
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:43pm
Absolute bottle job by the FAI once again. 
all other schoolboy clubs rowed in with the plan and sorted out link up's with LOI sides, even Joeys and Bray and there was no love lost there historically. 

I seen that the North Dublin Schoolboys League have issued a statement questioning any proposed link up as they have a link in with Bohs for past number of years. 

-------------
"Just put it up there..."

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm

No surprises here.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1258354/schoolboy-clubs-threaten-to-sever-link-ups-with-sse-airtricity-league-clubs-in-protest-at-st-kevins-boys-admission-to-u15-league/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/1258354/schoolboy-clubs-threaten-to-sever-link-ups-with-sse-airtricity-league-clubs-in-protest-at-st-kevins-boys-admission-to-u15-league/

For those who don't want to give The Sun the clicks, I've C+Ped it here

ADMISSION ROW 

Schoolboy clubs threaten to sever link-ups with SSE Airtricity League clubs in protest at St Kevin’s Boys’ admission to U15 league

The FAI’s decision to allow Kevin’s join the new underage league on the basis of a commitment by them to try to agree a partnership with Bohemians has gone down badly

SCHOOLBOY clubs have threatened to sever their link-ups with SSE Airtricity League clubs in protest at St Kevin’s Boys’ admission to the under-15 league.

The FAI’s decision to allow Kevin’s join the new underage league on the basis of a commitment by them to try to agree a partnership with Bohemians has gone down badly with rival clubs.

Many of the leading nurseries around the country had already linked up with senior outfits having been told by the FAI this was the only way for them to remain part of the elite player pathway.

Leading Dublin clubs such as Belvedere, Cherry Orchard, Crumlin United, Home Farm and Malahide United met in the capital over the weekend.

And they have warned the FAI they may not release players to their affiliated clubs next month when the league is due to start.

Belvo, Orchard and Crumlin have a link-up with St Pat’s, Home Farm have an agreement with Drogheda United with Malahide partners with Dundalk.

The Dublin clubs have also told the Association that they will formally sever their links if St Kevin’s are allowed to compete in the new league in their own right.

Clubs in Cork and Limerick are believed to have issued similar warnings.

It is a major headache for the FAI who agreed the compromise with Kevin’s after talks between the Santry club and Bohs, St Pat’s, Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne ended without an agreement.

Although the running costs are high for clubs which are already struggling financially, the introduction of under-19 and under-17 leagues have been largely welcomed as a step in the right direction for player development.

But it is now unclear if the introduction of the under-15 league – which in time is to be followed by one at under-13 level – can go ahead as planned

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:41pm
I do believe cluster f**k is the right phrase here   This isn't going to go away. The FAI really know how to make a bollox of things clowns

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:02am

The FAI really know how to make a bollox of things clowns
Yes indeed.

Everything was running smoothly with the clubs despite their opposition to the u15 league. 

They were just waiting for the FAI to fcuk up and like Dougal pressing the red button they duly obliged.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 12:04pm

The FAI really know how to make a bollox of things clowns
Yes indeed.

Everything was running smoothly with the clubs despite their opposition to the u15 league. 

They were just waiting for the FAI to fcuk up and like Dougal pressing the red button they duly obliged.

Dougal couldn't have made any more of a f*cking mess of this than the FAI have. It's depressing when you look at the calibre of clown we have making decisions at this level of the game. This one, sadly, will run and run.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:00am

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0628/886324-delaney-lauds-record-year-for-fai-and-eyes-future-plans/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0628/886324-delaney-lauds-record-year-for-fai-and-eyes-future-plans/

From Il Duce: 
"Twenty million euros went into grass-roots football and underage football last year, so we fund the game significantly."

That's a lot of €€€, does anyone have an idea of where specifically it was spent? 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:00pm
Gary McKay....any truth to the rumour that a certain ex Irish international called to a players house in your neck of the woods?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:56am

Gary McKay....any truth to the rumour that a certain ex Irish international called to a players house in your neck of the woods?
I heard that too.

Armed with a Rovers jersey ?

Not sure how true it is.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 1:04pm

I heard that too.

Not sure how true it is.

yeah. A good source told me the same. Btw there are other birds circling,as I'm sure you are aware

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 1:20pm
Do tell....

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 12:26pm

I heard that too.

Not sure how true it is.
yeah. A good source told me the same. Btw there are other birds circling,as I'm sure you are aware
Yes indeed which is why they didn't initially select the kid for the DDSL Elite squad to force him to transfer to a 'Big 6' club.

It didn't work, we got him into the squad and he's probably the best player.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:19pm
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/schoolboy-clubs-told-summer-football-must-be-fully-operational-by-2020-but-some-leagues-forecast-problems-36395196.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/schoolboy-clubs-told-summer-football-must-be-fully-operational-by-2020-but-some-leagues-forecast-problems-36395196.html

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/schoolboy-clubs-told-summer-football-must-be-fully-operational-by-2020-but-some-leagues-forecast-problems-36395196.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/schoolboy-clubs-told-summer-football-must-be-fully-operational-by-2020-but-some-leagues-forecast-problems-36395196.html
That tournament also includes Chelsea, Liverpool and Ajax.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:52pm

I heard that too.

Not sure how true it is.
Signed for Rovers.

Delighted he didn't go elsewhere.
Good path for him.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:26am
Shocking news ;
https://www.irishtimes.com/topics/topics-7.1213540?article=true&tag_organisation=Shelbourne+FC" rel="nofollow -

Dezu collapsed during a Dublin and District Schoolboys Under-16 match against St Kevin’s Boys on Tuesday night.

Paramedics from Dublin Fire Brigade worked on Dezu at the Athletic Union League (AUL) Complex, before he was pronounced dead at Beaumont Hospital.

A statement from Shelbourne read: “We are heartbroken to have to confirm the news that our Academy U16 player, Izzy Dezu, collapsed and died during a match last night.

“The thoughts of everyone at Shelbourne FC are with his family and friends who have been devastated by his tragic loss. May he rest in peace.”

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:27am

Very sad news last night. A Shelbourne u16 player died on the pitch in a DDSL match against St Kevins Boys. That's incredibly tough for anyone involved. RIP to the young lad

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:40am
RIP, terrible news

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:33am
God that’s horrific. RIP Izzy

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:27am
His brother plays for our u14s.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:33am

His brother plays for our u14s.

That's tough. Sorry to hear that Gary. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:42am
Awful news.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:53am
Terrible news - RIP. 

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 12:44pm
Two interesting articles in the Irish Examiner this week.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/where-are-the-players-rebuilding-the-supply-of-talent-in-irish-football-464661.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/where-are-the-players-rebuilding-the-supply-of-talent-in-irish-football-464661.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/doomsday-scenario-is-we-arent-producing-players-and-the-uk-is-no-longer-helping-us-464729.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/doomsday-scenario-is-we-arent-producing-players-and-the-uk-is-no-longer-helping-us-464729.html

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/where-are-the-players-rebuilding-the-supply-of-talent-in-irish-football-464661.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/where-are-the-players-rebuilding-the-supply-of-talent-in-irish-football-464661.html
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/doomsday-scenario-is-we-arent-producing-players-and-the-uk-is-no-longer-helping-us-464729.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/doomsday-scenario-is-we-arent-producing-players-and-the-uk-is-no-longer-helping-us-464729.html
A lot of interesting points but also contradictions and conflicting opinions.

It's gotta change though.

-------------

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 7:48pm

Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

A lot of interesting points but also contradictions and conflicting opinions.

It's gotta change though.

Yeah, Brady just very negative. The scout seemed to have some very strange opinions which diverged greatly from the general view. Most were positive on the LOI clubs being the best pathway in the long term.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:16am
Another young tragedy. RIP
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tributes-paid-after-death-of-bray-soccer-player-12-1.3347442" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tributes-paid-after-death-of-bray-soccer-player-12-1.3347442

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:49pm
Alan Caffrey not painting a very pretty picture but many of his comments are true.

https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/its-not-just-the-faithe-blame-must-be-taken-by-us-all-but-were-too-nice-in-ireland-caffrey-37402274.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/its-not-just-the-faithe-blame-must-be-taken-by-us-all-but-were-too-nice-in-ireland-caffrey-37402274.html

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:15pm
I've seen in Spain and in France that there are loads of 5 a side pitches in housing estates and there are none here. It might just a be concrete or dust patch but they're everywhere. There's nothing like that in Ireland. It would be such an easy thing to do in new builds and it gives kids something to do. You can double it up as a basketball court also. I cannot understand why County Councils don't insist on something like that on new developments.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:43pm

Alan Caffrey not painting a very pretty picture but many of his comments are true.

https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/its-not-just-the-faithe-blame-must-be-taken-by-us-all-but-were-too-nice-in-ireland-caffrey-37402274.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/its-not-just-the-faithe-blame-must-be-taken-by-us-all-but-were-too-nice-in-ireland-caffrey-37402274.html
Cliches and soundbites.

True about kids being too soft though.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I've seen in Spain and in France that there are loads of 5 a side pitches in housing estates and there are none here. It might just a be concrete or dust patch but they're everywhere. There's nothing like that in Ireland. It would be such an easy thing to do in new builds and it gives kids something to do. You can double it up as a basketball court also. I cannot understand why County Councils don't insist on something like that on new developments.
And Cruijff Courts in Holland and Spain.

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm

Which is incorrect.

There are a fair few of these pitches in housing estates scattered around the South East alone!

Private housing estates could do with them as much as the council estates and deprived areas imo.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Which is incorrect.

There are a fair few of these pitches in housing estates scattered around the South East alone!

Private housing estates could do with them as much as the council estates and deprived areas imo.

Dublin.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:10pm
You were talking about countries and in the same breath said "here" so one would assume it was Ireland you meant not Dublin so you weren't very specific.

Hard to know would these astro pitches be maintained and left from ruin/being burnt out in the worst areas in Dublin. 

Which is sad to say in 2018. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:53am
The man's a True Legend ;

http://www.cruyff-foundation.org%2Fen%2Factivities%2Fcruyff-courts&usg=AOvVaw2B7eWKL7ANJBcoZ2Lq3MI6" rel="nofollow - www.cruyff-foundation.org%2Fen%2Factivities%2Fcruyff-courts&usg=AOvVaw2B7eWKL7ANJBcoZ2Lq3MI6

-------------

Posted By: NearPost88
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:12pm
I don't know if kids these days actually want it enough, if i'm being honest. I'd seriously question the mentality these days of the majority. Maybe its just me but look at any top, top player this country has had. Look at their demeanour and the way they interview or conduct themselves on a pitch. Most of the good ones we've had in the last few years (when I say few, I mean maybe a decade and a half or so) have actually captained Premier League clubs. That's no small feat.

Where are THOSE kinda mindsets coming from these days?

Posted By: Spudgunn1980
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:43am
"There are a fair few of these pitches in housing estates scattered around the South East alone!"

I'd struggle to name 5 in Dublin. 

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by NearPost88 NearPost88 wrote:

I don't know if kids these days actually want it enough, if i'm being honest. I'd seriously question the mentality these days of the majority. Maybe its just me but look at any top, top player this country has had. Look at their demeanour and the way they interview or conduct themselves on a pitch. Most of the good ones we've had in the last few years (when I say few, I mean maybe a decade and a half or so) have actually captained Premier League clubs. That's no small feat.

Id have to agree. I see it underage all the time. My young lad plays under 11 and they dont see to have that extra bit of drive. Its all teams not just his, they seem to loose a match and its forgotten about as soon as they step off the pitch. Now of course participation is hugely important and they are just kids at the end of the day and of course accepting defeat (and victory) is important. But you see the odd young lad who during the game is really up for it and wants to win and actually cares. These are few and far between tho. 

Posted By: NearPost88
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
Same. Winning isn't the be all and end all and I appreciate that maybe 1% might go on to play at even a high senior level, but when did everyone stop caring about losing? 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Originally posted by NearPost88 NearPost88 wrote:

Id have to agree. I see it underage all the time. My young lad plays under 11 and they dont see to have that extra bit of drive. Its all teams not just his, they seem to loose a match and its forgotten about as soon as they step off the pitch. Now of course participation is hugely important and they are just kids at the end of the day and of course accepting defeat (and victory) is important. But you see the odd young lad who during the game is really up for it and wants to win and actually cares. These are few and far between tho. 

To put it into perspective going back to when I was still playing Youths football 06/07 season the majority of my team (roughly 9/10 players) either played with the mens A or B Team within the club on a Sunday.

I currently manage a Premier Division club in Carlow and between our A & B Team we have 1 youth playing.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm
Killarney Celtic. Generally a strong club down that way?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:31pm

Think Panteira might be your man to ask, he’s from that neck of the woods 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:43pm

Think Panteira might be your man to ask, he’s from that neck of the woods 
Looking for someone to do a scouting mission😁

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 4:06pm
Kiltimagh Knock Utd. Strong schoolboy club down that way in general?? Mayo Mark etc...?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:51am
markooooo^^

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Anyone in Cork fancy a scouting mission in the morning. Ringmahon. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 2:02pm

Looks like the DDSL are pulling the plug on Summer football. How is this going to work in relation to the LOI underage structure?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-player-development-plan-in-tatters-as-schoolboy-leagues-call-time-on-summer-football-38060158.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-player-development-plan-in-tatters-as-schoolboy-leagues-call-time-on-summer-football-38060158.html

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
Fantastic news and thankfully the Carlow League are following suit too.

It was a stupid decision in the first place, when you factor in how many kids play GAA as well as Soccer.

I know for a fact that plenty of clubs down here were going to have to pull teams as they wouldn't have had the numbers due to the high volume of kids playing GAA.

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:50am

It was a stupid decision in the first place, when you factor in how many kids play GAA as well as Soccer.

I know for a fact that plenty of clubs down here were going to have to pull teams as they wouldn't have had the numbers due to the high volume of kids playing GAA.

Shortsighted. I'm from a country club and have the same issues but at least the players you are left with get better pitches, weather, and general conditions. Yes we will lose some players but others will gain. I get it that some teams will struggle to field but alternative solutions need to be looked at in these areas.

Also if kids are playing gaa if u have any sort of relationship with the gaa club u can arrange training on different evenings. Probably can concentrate on technical stuff coz they will be fir from the other sports! 

Now i fully understand u could be dealing with some dinosaurs that won't use common sense, i've dealt with a few......but i don't think this is a good enough reason to get rid of summer soccer.

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Shortsighted. I'm from a country club and have the same issues but at least the players you are left with get better pitches, weather, and general conditions. Yes we will lose some players but others will gain. I get it that some teams will struggle to field but alternative solutions need to be looked at in these areas.

Also if kids are playing gaa if u have any sort of relationship with the gaa club u can arrange training on different evenings. Probably can concentrate on technical stuff coz they will be fir from the other sports! 

Now i fully understand u could be dealing with some dinosaurs that won't use common sense, i've dealt with a few......but i don't think this is a good enough reason to get rid of summer soccer.

It's not shortsighted at all, it was the most logical decision to make.

There were numerous clubs in the Carlow League on the verge of losing the majority if not all of their whole juvenile set up in some cases.

The GAA season finishes in late September in Laois/Carlow/Wicklow/Kildare (teams from 4 counties play in Carlow) so there's minimal to no impact on the soccer, whereas if it went summer soccer down here you would have minimum 4 or 5 less teams in each underage division which would kill the league.

Most clubs have their own astro turf pitches around Carlow which is a godsend for training, any progressive club/clubs will communicate with the GAA clubs anyhow and swap training times/nights to make sure kids can play both also.

I'm currently running my local clubs academy, believe me even as a traditional big town club you could be sure we wouldn't have even half the teams we have now if summer soccer came in.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

It's not shortsighted at all, it was the most logical decision to make.

There were numerous clubs in the Carlow League on the verge of losing the majority if not all of their whole juvenile set up in some cases.

The GAA season finishes in late September in Laois/Carlow/Wicklow/Kildare (teams from 4 counties play in Carlow) so there's minimal to no impact on the soccer, whereas if it went summer soccer down here you would have minimum 4 or 5 less teams in each underage division which would kill the league.

Most clubs have their own astro turf pitches around Carlow which is a godsend for training, any progressive club/clubs will communicate with the GAA clubs anyhow and swap training times/nights to make sure kids can play both also.

I'm currently running my local clubs academy, believe me even as a traditional big town club you could be sure we wouldn't have even half the teams we have now if summer soccer came in.

Agreed. We're pulling out of 4/5 different gaa clubs too, would never have worked if it had gone ahead. Some of the coaches do both too which wouldn't have continued. In theory, summer makes sense. In reality, no

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net