Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55264
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 8:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Euro 2020 - Venues
Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Subject: Euro 2020 - Venues
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:24pm
Belgium may be in trouble having their stadium ready for Euro 2020.
Not sure if it is a new one or a renovation of the Brussels Baudioun.

Saw an article that suggested Millenium Stadium in Cardiff may be asked to fill the gap.

P.s. Couldn't find a Euro 2020 thread, looked thru 20 pages.
YBIG "search" has never worked for me.

Replies:
Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Belgium may be in trouble having their stadium ready for Euro 2020.
Not sure if it is a new one or a renovation of the Brussels Baudioun.
No, it's meant to be a brand new 60k "Eurostadium", not the 50k King Baudouin Stadium (i.e. the re-built Heysel).

Seems Anderlecht don't want to use the new stadium and the local authorities are getting "cold feet":
http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/sports/belgium-soccer-official-doubts-euro-2020-stadium-project-article-1.3113817" rel="nofollow - http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/sports/belgium-soccer-official-doubts-euro-2020-stadium-project-article-1.3113817

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Saw an article that suggested Millenium Stadium in Cardiff may be asked to fill the gap.
Or some of the French Euro2016 stadia (above article).

If NI were involved, I'd be happy with either (so long as we weren't playing the Welsh in Cardiff).

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:47pm
Based on the cities selected, the "pairs" for group matches should be as follows:

St Petersburg - Baku (Baku is a disaster no matter who it is paired with)
Munich - Rome
Amsterdam - Copenhagen
Glasgow - Dublin
Budapest - Bucharest
and
Bilbao - Brussels

That being the case, Bilbao should be paired with somewhere closer to there, maybe Bordeaux. That would be a great base for a group.

There are other potential pairs, like Brussels - Amsterdam, Copenhagen - Munich and Rome - Bilbao, but no matter which you cut it, some of the pairs are a pain in the arse.

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:58pm
Guaranteed 3 home games for us should we qualify so because there is no chance of Scotland making it.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:58pm

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:30am
I wonder would FAI season ticket holders for 19/20 season given first option any games in Dublin?

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I wonder would FAI season ticket holders for 19/20 season given first option any games in Dublin?

No, the tickets would be handled in the same was as any tournament - FAI would have no control over ticketing outside of the allocation they would receive if we are taking part in a game. 

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

No, the tickets would be handled in the same was as any tournament - FAI would have no control over ticketing outside of the allocation they would receive if we are taking part in a game. 

So it would be public tickets sold via UEFA site for any non FA tickets

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:52am

So it would be public tickets sold via UEFA site for any non FA tickets

Both participating FAs would get an allocation, there would be a public ballot and then tickets to sponsors etc.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:54am
Anyone think it will be a disaster ? Looking forward to the concept of visiting the other cities following Ireland but I think it could end up being expensive with airlines shafting people on shortish notice for flights

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Anyone think it will be a disaster ? Looking forward to the concept of visiting the other cities following Ireland but I think it could end up being expensive with airlines shafting people on shortish notice for flights

So the same as all previous tournaments so.

I remember that being the worst part about France not knowing until pretty much just before kickoff where we'd be if I remember correctly we could have played in Lyon or Toulouse.

I think that the group stage will be fine as that will be set but going forward depending on other results I'd agree it could well cause a bit of a shafting especially for countries like ourselves not linked via land.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Based on the cities selected, the "pairs" for group matches should be as follows:

St Petersburg - Baku (Baku is a disaster no matter who it is paired with)
Purely football-wise, there are far worse cities than Baku to base yourself - NI fans had a great time there earlier in the month.

And having been to St. Peterburg (though not for a match), I liked it too.

Anyhow, I've just checked and it seems AZAL (low cost subsidiary of Azerbaijan Airlines) have non-stop flights between the two cities. It's around 4 hours, but they don't look to be too expensive. Baku is cheap, too.

The other host city with non-stop flights to Baku is Budapest (v.cheap with Wizzair). London too, obviously.

Tbh, I'd even take that, too, if need be - the Wizzair flights out to Baku are overnight, so if nothing else it saves you a hotel bed.

Posted By: Darraghn92
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:39pm
According to UEFA, "The twelve venues hosting group stage matches will be divided into six pairs, with each pair hosting one group. UEFA will draw up five or six lists of pairings, taking into account of sporting strength (assuming all host teams qualify), geography, and security/political constraints, and one list of pairings will be selected by draw in November/December 2017"

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
if we qualify are we definetly playing in Dublin ?

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I believe I have read that if we qualify then we would have 2 games in Dublin and 1 at the other group location. 

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:14pm
So on short notice after qualifying and flights through the roof we could be looking at YBig buses from Dublin Port to main land Europe

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:16pm

I believe I have read that if we qualify then we would have 2 games in Dublin and 1 at the other group location. 

We have 2 guaranteed if we qualify and 3 if the country we are paired with doesn't qualify.  If both countries qualify then it is not clear to me who will have home advantage.  It may be the highest ranked or it may be a draw.

I'd highly recommend Baku as a place to visit.  

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

We have 2 guaranteed if we qualify and 3 if the country we are paired with doesn't qualify.  If both countries qualify then it is not clear to me who will have home advantage.  It may be the highest ranked or it may be a draw.
Assuming we got paired with Scotland, I presume if we both qualified they'd arrange the draw so we couldn't be in the same group. Then we'd have 2 games in the Aviva, and one in Hamden. Scots would have 2 in Hamden and 1 in Aviva. 

That's just how I understood it to work

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Assuming we got paired with Scotland, I presume if we both qualified they'd arrange the draw so we couldn't be in the same group. Then we'd have 2 games in the Aviva, and one in Hamden. Scots would have 2 in Hamden and 1 in Aviva. 

That's just how I understood it to work

Woukd obviously prefer to travel - except Glasgow

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:28pm
Actually, with a pair of host cities hosting a group, you always end up with one team playing three games in one city, and everyone else playing two in one city and one in the other (against the team who play all their games there). So if Scotland qualified along with us, either us or Scotland would have three games at home, and the other would have two at home and one away (against the other).

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
So in that sense would there even be a draw? Or would games and venues be assigned after the draw?

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
There'd have to be a draw for the other teams who aren't hosts.

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
Cardiff man at well be allocated as a host city due to Brussels looking like they may not have their stadium ready.
If they do it shouldn't be a problem separating teams as it is highly unlikely that all 3 of Ireland/Scotland/Wales will qualify.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:58pm
They are pairing cities approx 2 hours apart (or less) by plane.  They will have to be flexible with Baku.

We could get paired with  a number of different cities eg Glasgow, Brussels, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Munich, Copenhagen etc  This can be done after the draw - just ensure 3 host countries don't end up in the same group.  

My understanding is that hosts will only play away to other hosts in the group stages.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:49am
Looking like Brussels is in serious trouble. Construction of the stadium still hasn't started. UEFA have given them to the 22nd Nov to present all the relevant permits. Decision on any possible replacement venue will be made on 7th Dec with Cardiff,London and Stockholm in the running

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:11am
Stockholm should be the option. It gives a group with Stockholm and Copenhagen. London is certainly capable of hosting them but it's not really fair for them to get seven games. It doesn't make it a proper Euros for Europe if that's the case. The same sort of holds for Cardiff: it gives these islands 15 games from 51: that's a heap and probably too many in one part of Europe, assuming you give the concept some weight.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 12:00pm

Stockholm should be the option. It gives a group with Stockholm and Copenhagen. London is certainly capable of hosting them but it's not really fair for them to get seven games. It doesn't make it a proper Euros for Europe if that's the case. The same sort of holds for Cardiff: it gives these islands 15 games from 51: that's a heap and probably too many in one part of Europe, assuming you give the concept some weight.

Wasn't there some reason why Stockholm failed in their bid?

Accommodation or could have been transport as I remember when we played there was no direct link to the Friends Arena now I'd guess this has been fixed by now.

I'd agree with the that if London or Cardiff were to get allocated games it would defeat the purpose

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 1:23pm

I'd agree with the that if London or Cardiff were to get allocated games it would defeat the purpose
The "purpose" was to spread the tournament between their Member Associations. That way, smaller Associations who wouldn't normally be able to host entire tournaments on their own (eg FAW or FAI) would be able to host at least some games.

Assuming the IFA had an adequate stadium, would you oppose our applying on the basis that "Ireland" has already got games in the AVIVA?

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The "purpose" was to spread the tournament between their Member Associations.

Assuming the IFA had an adequate stadium, would you oppose our applying on the basis that "Ireland" has already got games in the AVIVA?

Well I can't obviously oppose anything as I don't have a say.

Though I would say though that UEFA when deciding who was successful did have in mind not have certain regional areas holding a certain number of games, and I think in terms of as you say purpose is to spread tournament out between members and Europe it played a part.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The "purpose" was to spread the tournament between their Member Associations.

Well I can't obviously oppose anything as I don't have a say.
OK, delete "oppose" and replace with "express a contrary opinion".

Though I would say though that UEFA when deciding who was successful did have in mind not have certain regional areas holding a certain number of games, and I think in terms of as you say purpose is to spread tournament out between members and Europe it played a part.
So you're saying that UEFA don't just want to share the Finals between Associations, but also to achieve a geographical spread?

Fair enough, except that that should have mitigated against Brussels in the first place, seeing as how it is already so close to Amsterdam and London, with the 13 venues showing a clear "bias" towards NW Europe as it is - Brussels, Amsterdam, London, Munich, Copenhagen, Glasgow and Dublin - leaving whole swathes of Central, Southern and Eastern Europe out of it. (Besides which, Brussels and Amsterdam have already hosted a Finals between them, plus London and Munich individually).

But in any case UEFA expressed a third consideration:
"Fans' considerations were also taken into account. Consequently, travel distances will be factored in when assigning hosting teams to tournament groups – and where feasible, flights will not exceed two hours' duration between host cities."
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2389885.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2389885.html
So if Brussels cannot now host games, then Cardiff is a suitable replacement candidate, what with its multiple/convenient transport links to London, Glasgow and Dublin, plus sub-two hour flights to Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Munich.

I guess what I'm saying is that with Brussels itself having been a compromise between the three selection criteria, then in the absence of Brussels, Cardiff would be an equally acceptable compromise, were it to be selected.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
 Cardiff ? I don't even particulariy want to go to Cardiff this campaignSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:11pm
I actually had something about the regions in my initial reply but deleted as I thought it confused matters.

I myself would have no issues with it being in any of the countries I just think it the area of as you stated above regional wise Stockholm would make more sense.

I do think the current setup does favour Western Europe more then the rest

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm
Brussels have lost their games and they have been given to Wembley instead. 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:36pm
Rome will host the opening match

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm

Brussels have lost their games and they have been given to Wembley instead. 
Hmmmmm.
"Speaking in Nyon, Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said the decision of Uefa's executive committee had been unanimous."

Let me see now, a choice of squeezing all the Blazers into the Celtic Manor for a week in Cardiff?

Or.

A choice of any number of five star hotels for an extra week in London?

Tough one, that. LOL

Meanwhile, there was me thinking the whole point about Euro2020 was to spread it out as widely as possible amongst UEFA's different Member Associations...Confused

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:55pm

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:37am
Only Parken in Denmark is smaller than LR in the venues for this. Compare that to Euro 2016 - 7 of the 10 venues there were smaller. 5 of the 8 in Euro 2012 were smaller, and 7 of the 8 in 2008, 2004 and 2000.

This will be the best attended Euros ever, and by some margin.

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:18am
Really is a horrible Euros though. Just pure garbage having it spread everywhere. The last Euros was bad enough, in that all teams had a match in 3 separate cities. Security reasons or whatever, it was the heads of football defecating all over fans. This Euros spread all over Europe is another cod, and a giant slap in the face for fans again.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:27am

Only Parken in Denmark is smaller than LR in the venues for this. Compare that to Euro 2016 - 7 of the 10 venues there were smaller. 5 of the 8 in Euro 2012 were smaller, and 7 of the 8 in 2008, 2004 and 2000.

Assuming the grounds are full...

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 8:22am
As a one off, I don't think it's a bad idea. We'll never get to host a tournament on our own, it's great to have four matches here.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Really is a horrible Euros though. Just pure garbage having it spread everywhere. The last Euros was bad enough, in that all teams had a match in 3 separate cities. Security reasons or whatever, it was the heads of football defecating all over fans. This Euros spread all over Europe is another cod, and a giant slap in the face for fans again.
Barstool fans don't care where the games are, it's all the same to them. 

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:35pm

What's barstool fans got to do with anything??

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Assuming the grounds are full...

Well, the tickets will be sold.

Every chump here will buy tickets before the tournament when they first go on sale. If we don't qualify and it's Slovenia v Czech Republic, I don't expect the place to be full, but the tickets will all be sold.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:13pm

That's where all the money comes from fans sitting at home watching it 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

But there will massive numbers of fans sitting at home watching these tournament s either way. Whether they are based in 1 country or 10 countries, the viewing figures on TV will be massive and much the same I would think. For fans attending Euro 2016, having group stages based in 3 cities instead of 2 was a big slap in the face to fans attending. Also totally ruins the vibe of the tournament for fans imo. 2020 is a far bigger sh*t show than 2016 imo, feels like a write off of a tournament.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:53pm
Having a group based in 3 cities instead of 2 for Euro 2016 was a bonus for me : Got to see different cities I hadn't been to before and all easily reachable by train. Don't see any downside.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:17pm

Having a group based in 3 cities instead of 2 for Euro 2016 was a bonus for me : Got to see different cities I hadn't been to before and all easily reachable by train. Don't see any downside.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the majority of fans like to have a base city, then travel to the 2nd group game game for the day or whatever, and back to the base city. The travel involved in the movement between 3 different cities in a group stage is ludicrous. Then you have fans who will stay for knockouts if possible, which with a 24 team euros only knowing 8 teams out at the group stage is very likely to happen. Look at Ireland in Euro 2016 ( Paris to Bordeaux to Lille to Lyon). That is a farcical amount of travel imo for fans attending games.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:41pm

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the majority of fans like to have a base city, then travel to the 2nd group game game for the day or whatever, and back to the base city. The travel involved in the movement between 3 different cities in a group stage is ludicrous. Then you have fans who will stay for knockouts if possible, which with a 24 team euros only knowing 8 teams out at the group stage is very likely to happen. Look at Ireland in Euro 2016 ( Paris to Bordeaux to Lille to Lyon). That is a farcical amount of travel imo for fans attending games.

The travelling was one of the best parts of the trip I would have hated to have had to stay in the one place! 4 nights in Paris, 6 nights in La Rochelle, 4 nights in Lille and 3 nights in Lyon was great.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:00pm

I enjoyed the camper road trips and the changes of venue Thumbs Up

On the tournament being a slap in the face: yes and no. It's a sh*t workaround to a sh*t problem - that being that the only serious offer was from Turkey. This is better than that alternative. 

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:41pm

But there will massive numbers of fans sitting at home watching these tournament s either way. Whether they are based in 1 country or 10 countries, the viewing figures on TV will be massive and much the same I would think. For fans attending Euro 2016, having group stages based in 3 cities instead of 2 was a big slap in the face to fans attending. Also totally ruins the vibe of the tournament for fans imo. 2020 is a far bigger sh*t show than 2016 imo, feels like a write off of a tournament.

whoosh. Who cares about the fans attending Confused certainly not FIFA or UEFA it's all about money. And most people will be watching it on TV, so they wont give a toss which city the game is in 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 5:36pm

whoosh. Who cares about the fans attending Confused certainly not FIFA or UEFA it's all about money. And most people will be watching it on TV, so they wont give a toss which city the game is in 
Is that not exactly my point? The clearly don't give a f*ck about attending fans? Imo that is the ruination of the tournament. I agree with the above posts, that plenty enjoyed the change of cities every few days. In saying that, I don't think when a country has a really big traveling contingent for 2 weeks or so, that the majority want that or can handle the cost of that. If the setup was the way it used to be (2 group matches in 1 city, the other in a second city), you'd still have the option of travelling to other cities for tourist trips or other matches. The main point being it doesn't become a necessity though, it's a choice.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:47am

Is that not exactly my point? The clearly don't give a f*ck about attending fans? Imo that is the ruination of the tournament. I agree with the above posts, that plenty enjoyed the change of cities every few days. In saying that, I don't think when a country has a really big traveling contingent for 2 weeks or so, that the majority want that or can handle the cost of that. If the setup was the way it used to be (2 group matches in 1 city, the other in a second city), you'd still have the option of travelling to other cities for tourist trips or other matches. The main point being it doesn't become a necessity though, it's a choice.
Hans you're thinking of fans as the ones that travel to the games. The vast majority of viewers don't hence my point of it's all the same when you're watching at home.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:24am
I understand your point Shedite. The tv figures will be what they are whether the tournament is on in one place or 10 places. From an attending fans perspective I think they're destroying the Euros slowly but surely.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:24am
Wasn’t fond of the three city’s 3 matches - too much travelling as was said better 3 games in 2 city’s Poland got it right

Hopefully it’s a headache we have in the not too distant future

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:28am

Wasn’t fond of the three city’s 3 matches - too much travelling as was said better 3 games in 2 city’s Poland got it right

Hopefully it’s a headache we have in the not too distant future
I could be wrong but I'm guessing that would be the sentiment of the vast majority attending the Euros, of all fans btw not just the Irish contingent. Am I wrong in saying that until recently, almost all tournaments in recent times had a team play 2 group matches in 1 city? Just makes the logistics of it all way easier for fans. Poznan in '12 we'd 2 group matches. New York '94 we'd 2 group matches.

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:50am
But we will have 2 matches in one city if we qualify (Dublin) and then one in north Spain 2 hour flight.

In USA we had 2 in New Jersey and one in Orlando which is a 3 hour flight.

This tournament is actually the most accessible to the average fan logistically....on paper.
It's going to a nightmare to get tickets for due to the accessibility. Some of the more regular fans will be getting shafted left right and centre by fair weather fans who know the right people

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:57am
Ah the next tournament is a stand alone tournament (I would hope), and I wouldn't compare the travelling set up to anything that has gone before. The setup of 2 games in 1 city in the group stage is easily the most accessible for all fans imo. Security issues may be why they've changed that up, but I think they've lessened the tournament by it. The 2020 format is just comical tbh, no host is a farce. Seems like a non event almost.

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:07am

Ah the next tournament is a stand alone tournament (I would hope), and I wouldn't compare the travelling set up to anything that has gone before. The setup of 2 games in 1 city in the group stage is easily the most accessible for all fans imo. Security issues may be why they've changed that up, but I think they've lessened the tournament by it. The 2020 format is just comical tbh, no host is a farce. Seems like a non event almost.

These are the lengths they went to keep it away from turkey.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:42am

It gives countries that would never be able to host a tournament on their own a chance to host tournament games. I don’t understand the negativity from you about it. Two group games in Dublin for us if we qualify. It should be brilliant.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:37pm
Just having a look at the format for the next European Nations Cup. 

Each qualified host nation will be guaranteed a minimum of two games at home in the finals.

That means England will be playing at least twice at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, London in Group D. 

The winner of Group D plays its Round of 16 game at the Dublin Arena, Dublin, Eire against the second placed team in Group F, which will include Germany. 

England supporters can be assured of a warm welcome and lots of local support in Dublin that night, especially given that it looks highly unlikely Eire will be involved in the tournament.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm

Just looking at some of the Euro2020 scheduling, I understand they can't call it the Aviva Stadium for sponsorship reasons, but sureley if they were looking for another name for it they'd just have used "Lansdowne Road" Confused

Was there any pushback in 2010 for the Europa League final? Just wondering if it was an FAI thing at the time to try to stop people using Lansdowne (think the Aviva deal justs started around 2010).

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:37am
They called it "Dublin Arena" then as well.

You'd imagine it is up to the hosts to decide the name of their stadium. You'd also imagine that that really means Aviva get to decide and Aviva certainly wouldn't want it called "Lansdowne Road", for fear of it catching on. Presumably that's why it ends up with a sh*te name like "Dublin Arena".

Hell, the very fact we're having the conversation probably shows that it makes sense for Aviva to want it to be called something other than Lansdowne Road.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:21pm

They called it "Dublin Arena" then as well.

You'd imagine it is up to the hosts to decide the name of their stadium. You'd also imagine that that really means Aviva get to decide and Aviva certainly wouldn't want it called "Lansdowne Road", for fear of it catching on. Presumably that's why it ends up with a sh*te name like "Dublin Arena".

Hell, the very fact we're having the conversation probably shows that it makes sense for Aviva to want it to be called something other than Lansdowne Road.
Yep, "Dublin Arena" for the same reasons as WHU are playing in the "London Stadium", or Spurs are waiting to move into the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium", rather than WHL i.e. future sponsors don't want to make the same mistake eg as BT made with Boro.

At Middlesboro, the fans originally chose the name "Riverside" in a poll, so when BT tried calling it the "Cellnet Riverside Stadium" (later the "BT Cellnet Riverside Stadium"), they eventually had to give up when they realised that the Riverside bit had stuck, at the expense of "Cellnet".

It is now simply "The Riverside Stadium".

Posted By: Jackal
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 4:02pm
Well it looks like Dublin, Munich and Bilbao are out. What do we think will be the replacements? For Dublin, it will be somewhere close. I'm going to guess the Principality stadium. Would Windsor park be completely out of the question?

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:46pm
Late possiblity  is that Munich will keep the group games but give up the quarter final.

Hard to see how they can commit to it at this stage but I guess uefa will bend over backwards to have them involved.

The link is is in German

Medien: München behält deutsche EURO-Spiele via @OneFootball. Read it here:

https://1.ftb.al/cxSjS3SKFfb" rel="nofollow - https://1.ftb.al/cxSjS3SKFfb

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:25pm
Laporte switching allegiance to play for Spain

Has never been capped by France 

Date Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Think he used this bait stick before after he was left out of the Euro 2016 squad. 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:16pm
He’d do well for Spain

Eric Garcia starts for them who’s nowhere near as good 

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:42pm
He's basque iirc. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not surprised seeing France’s strength in depth at CB.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 3:24pm
Bilbao to be compensated with the Europa League final and a Womens CL Final

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/bilbao-to-be-compensated-after-being-dropped-as-euro-2020-host-1208944" rel="nofollow - https://www.otbsports.com/sport/bilbao-to-be-compensated-after-being-dropped-as-euro-2020-host-1208944

Presumably something similar for us then 

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:50pm
Absolute pony having so many teams playing at home. Dead 
Hopefully this sh*te tournament idea will never ever be repeated. 
Delighted Delaney could never see a game in Dublin 

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

It was Michel Platini's baby - intended to celebrate the tournament's 60th anniversary. 

Thankfully, he's gone from office and the next Euros will be in Germany. Thumbs Up

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:06am

Looking at my bets for the tournament, I definitely should have paid more attention to teams playing at home. looks like they'll all have a big advantage.

Might even be enough of an advantage to get England up to France/Portugal's level

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

It was Michel Platini's baby - intended to celebrate the tournament's 60th anniversary. 

Thankfully, he's gone from office and the next Euros will be in Germany. Thumbs Up

More a case of Turkey being the only country to bid to host Euro 2020.  Not wanint to award the tournament to Turkey, UEFA came up with this spurious 'celebration' of 60 years of European Championships by playing the 2020 one continent wide.

Would it really have been so bad if Turkey hosted Euro 2020?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net