URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55095
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 12:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My roadtrip
Posted By: niall76
Subject: My roadtrip
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:40am
Hello everyone,
I'm Niall. I live in Perth, Western Australia but am originally from Belfast. I always enjoy getting to matches when I'm back in Belfast and have flown over to Liverpool and Glasgow for them and seen some good matches at Cliftonville including in the Setanta Cup.
In June I'm back for my cousin's wedding and am taking the opportunity to see more of Ireland than I have and to watch some football at the same time.
I'm going to get around completely by bus and train and setting off from Belfast on June 28/29 will stay in Killybegs then get to Ballybofey for Finn Harps v Derry City on June 30. When setting up this trip I saw that Sligo don't play Shamrock Rovers til the Sunday so I'm going to get to that match and needing a Saturday game, I saw that the easiest to get to is Longford Town v Cabinteely. Now, can anyone tell me if Longford's ground is within walking distance of the town centre - it  doesn't look bad on google maps and also, can anyone recommend somewhere to stay the night in Longford before I head off to Sligo. I know most away supporters probably just drive to the match and back but in case anyone has stayed overnight in Ballybofey/Sligo does anyone have anywhere they can recommend?
I'm looking forward to reading through the threads and sorry about the long post to start with!
Niall

Replies:
Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:47pm
Longford v Cabo?  Jaysus Niall, fair play lad, you're clearly insane. LOL 
Have a good LOI Road Trip, brilliant idea. Clap

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Los Aros
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:04pm
Derry play in Europe on the 29th so the game against harps will be moved. Sligo v Rovers is down for the Saturday but will be moved as well. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:20pm
Guilty as charged, Freewheeler!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:30pm
Crap, I'm glad I asked. I hadn't thought of Europe. It looks like Longford Town might be the only one moved. Damn. Well, i'd better hold fire on accommodation etc til the draws are made - I know that was about June 20 last year. I'll be in Belfast then so it'll be more to look forward to.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:36pm
That's a pity if the harps game is moved. Always a great occasion and atmoshere without the scumbags that you see at other derbies. Have a good trip anyway man

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 3:35pm
The Harps game will definitely be moved but you might have a European game on the 29th.  Surely a couple (at least)  of Coleraine/Cliftonville/Linfield/Crusaders not to mention Derry City/Shamrock Rovers or Cork City will be drawn at home.  Note Derry City will most likely play in Dundalk or Sligo.  Huge potential distances but you did say a roadtrip.

I'll be at Drogheda v Limerick if you need a lift back to Dublin afterwards.  Although Bray v Dundalk on the DART might be attractive as well if you decide to go to the Dublin area.  

Longford's ground is walkable from the town centre.  Bit of a trek but easy to find.  Ask around and someone will surely drop you back into town after the game.  

There is also a 50/50 chance Linfield/Crusaders will be at home in the champions league on the 27th/28th.  

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 4:21pm
gspain Clap, YBIG, a great bunch of lads. Hug

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

That's a pity if the harps game is moved. Always a great occasion and atmoshere without the scumbags that you see at other derbies. Have a good trip anyway man
Thanks very much, I will.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The Harps game will definitely be moved but you might have a European game on the 29th.  Surely a couple (at least)  of Coleraine/Cliftonville/Linfield/Crusaders not to mention Derry City/Shamrock Rovers or Cork City will be drawn at home.  Note Derry City will most likely play in Dundalk or Sligo.  Huge potential distances but you did say a roadtrip.

I'll be at Drogheda v Limerick if you need a lift back to Dublin afterwards.  Although Bray v Dundalk on the DART might be attractive as well if you decide to go to the Dublin area.  

Longford's ground is walkable from the town centre.  Bit of a trek but easy to find.  Ask around and someone will surely drop you back into town after the game.  

There is also a 50/50 chance Linfield/Crusaders will be at home in the champions league on the 27th/28th.  

Yeah, actually there's a host of matches. I saw that The Showgrounds is "financially nonviable" for Derry so it'll be Oriel. It'd be good to go up to Coleraine if they're at home then I can visit the north west. I'll probably stay well clear of Seaview and Windsor although Seaview is only a 5min bus ride away. Thanks for the kind offer re Drogheda - I'll keep it in mind - would be a good option.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net