Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55030
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Trumpet
Posted By: corkery
Subject: Trumpet
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:36pm
Is this to drown out anti FAI songs? Something similar was tried at the cup final. It sounds awful on the television.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Replies:
Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:38pm
If it's an attempt to give the atmosphere a boost, the intention is good, but christ above it sounded awful

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:10pm
Need to get another one for Tuesday

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Need to get another one for Tuesday

And a couple of vuvuzelas too Clap

Posted By: Richmond Ultra
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:22pm
It was like listening to the French Rugby World Cup in 2007 with the trumpet every few minutes to get the crowd going.

-------------
Omnia Causa Fiunt

Posted By: irish boogie
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Richmond Ultra Richmond Ultra wrote:

It was like listening to the French Rugby World Cup in 2007 with the trumpet every few minutes to get the crowd going.

Whatever is sounded like on tv have to say I thought it worked in stadium and I would've been totally against the drummers and trumpets before

-------------
Thank You Torun and Tyskie

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:34pm
Absolutely pathetic. I thought the FAI were getting drummers ? That's bad enough as it is without a f**king trumpet.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:37pm
Couldn't hold a tune, sounded like a 40 a day man the way he ran out of wind .......goal music and trumpets that's todays football for you

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:43pm
It was okay but it needed to be more in synch with what the fans were singing. He was playing ybig too quickly for example, the pace of the song is supposed to slow right down as you go into each chorus.

Stand Up For The Boys In Green worked well though.

Overall it wasn't a bad idea and was okay mostly

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Couldn't hold a tune, sounded like a 40 a day man the way he ran out of wind .......goal music and trumpets that's todays football for you
Id prefer flares  , smokebombs and a hostile stadium tbh

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:55pm
Had to mute the tv everytime it came on. f**kin awful.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:58pm
What f**king ejit of a west Brit came up the idea of a trumpet?

Pathetic stuff

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Id prefer flares  , smokebombs and a hostile stadium tbh

Sounds like a Dortmund home game, nothing wrong with that ......this trumpet business is the reason I can't watch alot of Spanish/Latin football always some idiot with something most notably a loudspeaker.........and I won't even mention Englands God awful 'band'

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm
That was embarrassing...Hopefully it's shelved pretty lively!!Disapprove

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:45pm
It was mortifying LOL

Wasn't the tune on a CD played over the speakers and then the trumpet player just happened to play the same tune ffs LOL

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Had to mute the tv everytime it came on. f**kin awful.
exactly. So fcuking annoying.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:25am
I've been to many stadiums, world wide.

The worst I've ever seen is the MLS, f**k we were competing with it tonight pathetic I started laughing at stages.

Whoever came up with that idea needs shot. Annoying as hell, couldn't hear the crowd, good intentions I'm sure but f**k sake. Ulster rugby have it spot on, this lad couldn't even get ybig in time

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:49am
Agree with the lads, f**king awful!!

Tuesday night will be some craic. f**king viking claps (Don't usually mind 1 and at a stretch 2 per match) and trumpets all night!! 

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:40am
Was painful to listen to. Reminded me of the band that England have at their matches. Has to go.

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: johnp30133
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:44am
It might have got the crowd going in parts, but it sounded horrendous. I'm no audiophile, but it was really "tinny" over the PA.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:52am
Is there not some rule against using the PA to rile the crowd up?

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:53am
Terrible. It was like an ad for an Old El Paso dinner kit. After all the work done behind the scenes the last few years it's embarrassing that that is the end result. I suppose when you are more interested in silencing people you reap what you sow ..

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:58am
Trumpet wasn't even discussed when we met the FAI. Didn't someone offer to do it on here? Wouldn't be a fan. Don't think it was that bad though, atmosphere was good last night despite how sh*t the game was. They don't need people in front of the south lower though, it's tvs test of the stadium that's the problem.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:45am

One of the best things I've seen on twitter in a long time

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:57pm
Agree it sounded absolutely dreadful. It was embarrassing hearing it over the PA, the Welsh fans were laughing at us when it came on.

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:50pm
Be better if it was a rusty trombone

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:56pm
Get rid

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:12pm
f**king sh*te has to go, all that it was good for was a cheap chuckle

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:14pm
f**king awful

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:53pm
Playing piped music was embarrassing bin it. Where were all the Tifo's????

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:57pm
Get rid of it. Awful crap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:58pm
Out.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 6:56pm
Didn't go down well but at least something was tried . It would be worse if we were not trying . Also another thing . The Viking clap or our own version long before the Vikings robbed it from another club .. what's with the howling ? Stick to our original

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:17pm
Thanks to the FAI for creating the atmosphere for the team to succeedLOL

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:19pm
Annoying fcuking thing, that trumpet. 

There are a few things here though, firstly, whether anyone liked it or not, the crowd did join in. 

Second, and this has been said many times before, there is something wrong with the accoustics in the North stand. I was high in the West Upper, above the corner flag, so close enough to the SS. Could look down & see the SS fairly hopping, but couldn't hear a fcuking thing. Could hear the Welsh lads at the other end of the ground no bother at all when they started singing/chanting. No idea how to solve that one. 

Third, the reason the band is there in the first place is that (bar the few hundred in the SS and a few individuals/small groups dotted around elsewhere in the stadium) we are piss poor as fans at creating any atmosphere. No idea how to solve that one either. 

We are fairly good at reacting to what is going on on the pitch though, and the atmosphere noticably improved in the last 20 mins when we were attempting to attack, so maybe the key to the atmosphere is to attack at all times. We'll have to change manager to solve that one. 

Apropos of nothing in particular, I fcuking hate that miserable dirge/lament The Fields of Athenry so much that if I ever get me hands on a time travelling DeLorean, the first thing I'll do is go back & stop Trevaleyn's lads from taking Michael away. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Playing piped music was embarrassing bin it. Where were all the Tifo's????

+1
Embarrassing and tacky, ditch it please and leave that sort of nonsense to the tanks (and the rugby)! Ffs they'll have cheerleaders next

Mind you, I've a feeling there would no doubt be some characters in 114 who wouldn't be complaining

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

One of the best things I've seen on twitter in a long time

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:54pm
Don't go to home games so was at home watching it -
f**king sounds terrible on the tv. That siad it did seem to get fans singing around the ground, but in the big games that usually happens anyway.

So the trumpet needs be shoved up his hole and never darkens Lansdowne Road again. 

He started to play a team of Gary Breen at one stage - get your coat.

Althoiugh he'd get a serious slap on the back if he played Just Cant Get Enough just to see Newrep's eye twitch to Angry Nordy level 10LOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Didn't go down well but at least something was tried . It would be worse if we were not trying . Also another thing . The Viking clap or our own version long before the Vikings robbed it from another club .. what's with the howling ? Stick to our original

That's normally fair enough but not with something objectively and foreseeably bad like this.

-------------

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:32am
Jaysus even worse on the TV wonder which bright spark at the Jedi Council Confederation came up with that sh*te. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

f**king sounds terrible on the tv. That siad it did seem to get fans singing around the ground, but in the big games that usually happens anyway.

So the trumpet needs be shoved up his hole and never darkens Lansdowne Road again. 

Althoiugh he'd get a serious slap on the back if he played Just Cant Get Enough just to see Newrep's eye twitch to Angry Nordy level 10LOL

That's those lads default setting Bob, NR's angry level goes up to about 18 out of 10.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

That's those lads default setting Bob, NR's angry level goes up to about 18 out of 10.

😡😡😡

My Moldova protests against ijcge will be resurrected

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:41pm
Horrendous. Whoever came up with that is a person with no interest in football. Pure PR person Shiite

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:54pm
All of which beg's the question what the fck was the meeting with the faiL all about with the various fans from sections of SC's and ybig ? where the fck was the singer(s) for the Grace song ? why was Grace only half played over the tannoy at a fckin stupid time ?( and it failed fckin miseribly) Was the fact that the faiL had this fckin abomination(fckin fajita band) up their sleeve the reason that they would not let the Barry Horns in ? where is Mr green faiL forever ?

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:04pm
A cynic would suggest they were in place to start pumping out trumpet when any anti jd stuff was sang. Only reason for such nonsense . And fajita band , couldn't have put it better myself

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: CSCD
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:53pm
Never again please.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:19pm
did I hear right that crowd noises were relayed over the PA ? sweet mother of God have we sunk that low

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:23pm
Yes over the PA. Was sitting directly under a speaker and it was quite clearly coming out of the speaker

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Yes over the PA. Was sitting directly under a speaker and it was quite clearly coming out of the speaker

The band had a microphone on a tripod placed in front of it . When they moved along side the front of the stands the tripod was transported along the side . So when the band played the crowd that was closest to the mic was picked up

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:30pm

clearly we have , beyond embarrassing

-------------

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
That mariachi band was wojous. I never want to hear them again. Whoever is closest to them in the South Stand if they turn up again, please pelt them with rotten vegetables.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Totally.

Did I not hear or read somewhere (possibly on here) that you're not actually allowed to use the stadium pa system to encourage crowd support? Maybe a fine from UEFA/FIFA will put the FAI off such a braindead notion?

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Totally.

Did I not hear or read somewhere (possibly on here) that you're not actually allowed to use the stadium pa system to encourage crowd support? Maybe a fine from UEFA/FIFA will put the FAI off such a braindead notion?
I was always under that impression but I assume the FAI would have checked this out , wouldn't they?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Totally.

I was always under that impression but I assume the FAI would have checked this out , wouldn't they?

Any other competent association would, yeah, but this is the FAI we're talking about...

...You know, the same FAI that started having music played over the pa system at the old LR during the Euro 2004 qualifiers only to then be shocked at being handed a huge bill from the Performing Rights Society for playing music to the public.

But surely they've learned from that...???

-------------

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:59pm
Whoever came up with this brain fart wants f**kin slapped

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

A cynic would suggest they were in place to start pumping out trumpet when any anti jd stuff was sang. Only reason for such nonsense .

Moldova away (not sure about Austria), FAI cup final - and low and behold trumpet drowning turns up for the first big game of 2018. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:17pm
Was there anti JD stuff being sang on Friday?

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:18pm
No

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

All of which beg's the question what the fck was the meeting with the faiL all about with the various fans from sections of SC's and ybig ? where the fck was the singer(s) for the Grace song ? why was Grace only half played over the tannoy at a fckin stupid time ?( and it failed fckin miseribly) Was the fact that the faiL had this fckin abomination(fckin fajita band) up their sleeve the reason that they would not let the Barry Horns in ? where is Mr green faiL forever ?

Shocking when you think there was a meeting and that was what came out of it, fai don't care once they sell out games.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:41pm

Totally.

We assumed they had checked out it was ok for 1916 to be commenerated until we found out they hadn't when the Tans ratted us out when they got done over the poppy in November

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:43pm
Hope they get rattled with a hefty fine. f**k them. Awful idea and probably to show once again dissent will not be tolerated

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:44pm

Totally.

We assumed they had checked out it was ok for 1916 to be commenerated until we found out they hadn't when the Tans ratted us out when they got done over the poppy in November
There was more than a hint of sarcasm to that post, I would imagine they thought this was a genius idea without really thinking at all!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by irish boogie irish boogie wrote:

Shocking when you think there was a meeting and that was what came out of it, fai don't care once they sell out games.

There was no talk of a brass band at the meeting, I'm pretty sure that a poster on here offered to do that a couple of weeks later on a thread somewhere. I replied that I wouldn't be a fan and it was associated with England as well but there certainly wasn't a load of moany old wans objecting to it like we have on this thread.

If people in the rest of the ground actually bothered their whole chanting and joined in then there wouldn't be any need for any discussion about it. Easy to bitch, not seeing any suggestions to improve it though. I wouldn't be a fan of bands or drums to improve atmosphere, I'd prefer what you see on the continent where you have lads with megaphones and sh*t like that but I don't really see that working here. Whatever gets tried you'll have some fcukers moaning online about it.....    

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:04pm
Look let's be honest here the only 1 part of the ground that does not need to be prompted to sing is the fckin SS christ on a fckin bike, so why are those usless coonts playing with their instruments not told to fck off to the East or West stand and annoy them

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:10pm

Look let's be honest here the only 1 part of the ground that does not need to be prompted to sing is the fckin SS christ on a fckin bike, so why are those usless coonts playing with their instruments not told to fck off to the East or West stand and annoy them

Said the exact same on Friday. Far as I know the suggestion for drummers was to have them spread across the ground. Was surprised to see them all gathered in front of the south. Dunno if that was because they were miked up. Much as I'm not a fan at least they hit the fcuking things in time unlike the one that's normally at it.

The suggestion that it was there to drown out any anti JD chants is laughable, that's Jim Corr levels of conspiracy sh*te there lads!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Said the exact same on Friday. Far as I know the suggestion for drummers was to have them spread across the ground. Was surprised to see them all gathered in front of the south. Dunno if that was because they were miked up. Much as I'm not a fan at least they hit the fcuking things in time unlike the one that's normally at it.

The suggestion that it was there to drown out any anti JD chants is laughable, that's Jim Corr levels of conspiracy sh*te there lads!
Totally agree about the bangers in the crowd there is more rhythm in a fckin corpse LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:50pm

There was no talk of a brass band at the meeting, I'm pretty sure that a poster on here offered to do that a couple of weeks later on a thread somewhere. I replied that I wouldn't be a fan and it was associated with England as well but there certainly wasn't a load of moany old wans objecting to it like we have on this thread.

If people in the rest of the ground actually bothered their whole chanting and joined in then there wouldn't be any need for any discussion about it. Easy to bitch, not seeing any suggestions to improve it though. I wouldn't be a fan of bands or drums to improve atmosphere, I'd prefer what you see on the continent where you have lads with megaphones and sh*t like that but I don't really see that working here. Whatever gets tried you'll have some fcukers moaning online about it.....    
The west and east stands needs a group of 20-30 supporters with a drum and megaphone to orchestrate the crowd there and get them up off their holes. The only involvement the FAI should have in it is to guarantee relaxed stewarding in those sections to allow them stand. Basically start forming new singing sections in those stands. As the trumpet did show , the people in those stands got involved when they had something to follow. The only problem is getting willing supporters to do this as 114 has a discounted st and lads like going there now for the atmosphere. Prehaps the supporters clubs could step in here but who knows.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:59pm

The west and east stands needs a group of 20-30 supporters with a drum and megaphone to orchestrate the crowd there and get them up off their holes. The only involvement the FAI should have in it is to guarantee relaxed stewarding in those sections to allow them stand. Basically start forming new singing sections in those stands. As the trumpet did show , the people in those stands got involved when they had something to follow. The only problem is getting willing supporters to do this as 114 has a discounted st and lads like going there now for the atmosphere. Prehaps the supporters clubs could step in here but who knows.

That's not a bad idea, but for God's sake, not over the pa system.

Don't know about everyone else on here, but I thought that was just tacky, not to mention something that could get the FAI in trouble with the authorities.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:05pm

Don't know about everyone else on here, but I thought that was just tacky, not to mention something that could get the FAI in trouble with the authorities.

As much as people not liking it , I was in west upper that can be dead at times and when Your man on the trumpet started most got involved and in fairness most of stadium dis as well so as cringe and crap the idea is it worked

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:06pm

I can't see that working because I don't think people in the East & West have any desire to stand or spend the match singing. The only way I can see anything happening is all of the south stand.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:09pm

As much as people not liking it , I was in west upper that can be dead at times and when Your man on the trumpet started most got involved and in fairness most of stadium dis as well so as cringe and crap the idea is it worked

I agree, I definitely think it made more people get involved. It's sad that it's come to this but something needs to be done.

-------------

Posted By: ncafc87
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:10pm
It got the whole stadium up at times throughout the game especially with stand up for the boys in green so with that regard it worked. A few times though it was like a damp squib.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by ncafc87 ncafc87 wrote:

It got the whole stadium up at times throughout the game especially with stand up for the boys in green so with that regard it worked. A few times though it was like a damp squib.
It worked a couple of time and after that it didn't . I think the fact it sounded so awful was part of the reason it didn't work all the time. A trumpet doesn't evoke passion in a football fan , rather the passion of going permanently deaf.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:16pm

It was the first time anything like that was tried. It's going to be trial and error. We suggested getting fans with megaphones and that may be tried in future if people volunteer to do it. Atmosphere builds over time, it's going to take more than one game. The hysterical reaction on here is priceless.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:17pm

One other thing I could say in its favour touches on what D69er said earlier - it was better than those clowns who were banging away randomly on their drums, out of sync with 114 (and each other for that matter!) and ruining the chants and songs that the SS were trying to get going.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:19pm
I don't see anyone being hysterical but football fans being embarrassed again by their FA.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:25pm

I don't see anyone being hysterical but football fans being embarrassed again by their FA.

On the scale of embarrassment this is way below the likes of seeing a CEO being carried shoulder high off a boozy train journey or a gang of lads serenading a nun in France for a start.

-------------

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:51am
I don't understand where this obsession with 'creating an atmosphere' has come from? An atmosphere creates itself, usually in reaction to what happens on the pitch, and can not/should not be artificially created by some langer with a trumpet or a drum or a flute or whatever. And who says the atmosphere at Irish games is bad anyway? At home to Germany and Poland in the last qualification campaign was pretty much as good as I have ever experienced. 

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:13am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

I don't understand where this obsession with 'creating an atmosphere' has come from? An atmosphere creates itself, usually in reaction to what happens on the pitch, and can not/should not be artificially created by some langer with a trumpet or a drum or a flute or whatever. And who says the atmosphere at Irish games is bad anyway? At home to Germany and Poland in the last qualification campaign was pretty much as good as I have ever experienced. 

The first hour against Germany was pretty dead though (mainly because they were laying siege to our goal). The place only came alive after Long scored.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:18am
Its great to see something being tried, and from watching on tv it certainly seemed to work a couple of Times but it shouldn't be a brass band ffs and certainly shouldn't be played over the tannoy.
From about 25 mins it started to get really f**king annoying.
The original plan of a few drummers would've been far superior

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:11am
we were stuck up in the gods where there was zero atmosphere. trumpet sounded terrible. please no more trumpet... 

and as for the island fans clapping thing... for the love of god stop!!!

Posted By: shakeyshamrock
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

The first hour against Germany was pretty dead though (mainly because they were laying siege to our goal). The place only came alive after Long scored.

Exactly.. The noise of the crowd reflects what happens on the pitch. We have a singing section for those who want to sing all game long regardless of what's going on in the game. The rest will cheer or sing in response to the action, as it should be. That means the noise level (which is what people seem to call 'atmosphere') will be louder when the game has more action or more excitement in it. These shouts and songs are born of passion and emotion and that's why it's a great feeling. You can't manufacture it. 

Posted By: bananarepublic
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
The whole band standing on the YBIG tricolour was a bigger crime.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

am not sure that's right, we were up against the WC holders and fair enough we had a few scares and should of been 2-3 0 down but I think the crowd appreciated the effort  against a superior side

Having said that there does need to be something on the pitch for us to get behind otherwise the life just gets drained out crowd. Thought we were rubbish for up until the sending off

Now if only we have a decent song or two...............

-------------

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:14am
the issue I had with the trumpet was that it drowned out hearing any singing. also the fact that the trumpet playing went on for longer than any singing. surely the reason it's used is to start a chant, then allow the supporters to carry it on

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:23am

On the scale of embarrassment this is way below the likes of seeing a CEO being carried shoulder high off a boozy train journey or a gang of lads serenading a nun in France for a start.

Is there potential for a list here? 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

we were stuck up in the gods where there was zero atmosphere. trumpet sounded terrible. please no more trumpet... 

and as for the island fans clapping thing... for the love of god stop!!!

That has come from the Junky Pats fans coming to Ireland games (which is fine, but not that stupid clap thing)........not a fan either.

The Trumpet can piss off and all.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:56am
I can understand the need for something to lift the atmosphere but everytime the band stood up, they were blocking my view of the full left side of the pitch. I had to take drastic action to bring attention to it. After that they asked me before they stood up but the next time was when Seamus was on the ground. We told them where to go of course - our captain's been floored and you want to blast a fcking trumpet! Its debatable whether a trumpet should be used but the location for anything on the pitch has to be carefully chosen, one of corners between south and east or west maybe. A group standing in front of SS means those in front in that section can see nothing across most of the pitch.

Its always better if songs develop naturally from the crowd reacting to whats happening on the pitch of course but if we're trying to fill silences, just a couple of bars to start and leave it to the crowd after that. And there were too many times where a song was building naturally and they started playing something else.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:03am

For most people at the ground going to football isn't a regular event so are happy to just sit and watch and not partake. Different with the Scotland fans although they had a dreadful attendance last night. Nearly the whole ground stands and takes part in the singing. Even from my time in the SS, not that many people in it actually sing. If everyone contributed in there the atmoshere would sound great and it might actually spread. Should be non stop singing but sadly people don't really get involved bar the odd rendition of TFOA or ybig

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
Do you know what would help the atmosphere? Good football on the pitch

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Exactly.  The atmosphere generated itself in the last few minutes when we laid seige to the Welsh goal.  That's what'll get the crowd going.  As for the drummers, wrong king of drums.  You need a big bass drum a la Manolo banging out a rythmn for everyone to chant along to, not snare drums from a marching band accompanying a trumpeter who can sod off.  I half expected him to play The Great Escape...  

Posted By: RayHoughton
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:55am
The whole thing was Grim. 

-------------
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:54pm
1. Why were they facing the South Stand
2. Why would they try and get other songs going when we were building chants
3. Had the trumpet player ever heard anyone sing YBIG before? Way too fast
4. f**k off with the trumpet

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:37pm
Just watched the highlights sounds even worse than live if that is possible

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: opa01
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:38pm

Fran Gavin

-------------
Will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest?

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:49pm
I think no matter what is done for home game re atmosphere it's not gonna suit everyone. But the other night was cringe. I really hope there is no repeat of the piped music for the Austria game.

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by opa01 opa01 wrote:

[QUOTE=1874eire]I don't understand where this obsession with 'creating an atmosphere' has come from? An atmosphere creates itself, usually in reaction to what happens on the pitch, and can not/should not be artificially created by some langer with a trumpet or a drum or a flute or whatever. And who says the atmosphere at Irish games is bad anyway? At home to Germany and Poland in the last qualification campaign was pretty much as good as I have ever experienced. 

100%, react to what's happening on the field, I don't see why everyone has to adopt some eastern European gimp ultra culture or follow whatever the epl daytrippers bring home. Can't we just have a pint, wave a tricolor and shout when appropriate.

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Doesn't even require that.

Trying to score a goal and win the game is usually enough. Slowing the game down at every opportunity and playing for a draw is not great for the aul' atmosphere.

And how can you have a trumpeter at a football game not play the Grand March from Aida?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvchHfziDSg" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvchHfziDSg

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

I think no matter what is done for home game re atmosphere it's not gonna suit everyone. But the other night was cringe. I really hope there is no repeat of the piped music for the Austria game.

Exactly. It's a cop out to say "at least theyre trying something // people would complain regardless". The trumpet and mic'ing it up to the PA system was objectively pure sh*te and has been roundly mocked by everyone who commented on it including various news outlets, so it's not just a minority on here complaining. 
It wasn't a good atmosphere, bad game where we created little and a lot of morons seemed to be about the amount of which hadn't been seen since the England friendly. Atmosphere was excellent against Germany, Bosnia, Scotland and Poland last year so let it happen organically. It livened up after the red card after we started actually trying to play.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
surely dedication what we need ?Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net