Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54959
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 3:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kieran O'Hara
Posted By: bear
Subject: Kieran O'Hara
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
20 year goalkeeper who called up for the Manchester United squad forthe game in Russia. Anyone know if he is any good or if he wants to play for us? He has Irish grandparents.

-------------
"You cannot afford to rely on history, you have to make it" - Martin O'Neill

Replies:
Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:01pm
Already plays for us. This is good news

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:08pm
http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/manchester-uniteds-kieran-oharas-delight-at-u21-call%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/manchester-uniteds-kieran-oharas-delight-at-u21-call

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 4:17pm
Scarlet for ya................

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:13pm

Updated / Tuesday, 7 Mar 2017 21:44

Ireland hopeful Kieran O’Hara was named in Manchester United’s squad for the away trip to Rostov for Thursday’s Europa League last-16 clash.

The Manchester-born goalkeeper has declared for Ireland, qualifying through his Irish grandparents, and was selected in the 20-man squad that flew out to Russia this afternoon.

O’Hara has yet to play a senior game for United and the 20-year-old will, no doubt, be behind Sergio Romero and David de Gea in the pecking order for Thursday’s encounter but the selection is certainly a nod of approval from Red Devils manager Jose Mourinho.

The 6ft 3in shot-stopper was previously called into the Ireland Under-21 squad last September after impressing while on loan at Morecambe.

“I always thought about the possibility of declaring for Ireland and my Dad was always keen for me to do so,” said O’Hara, talking to the FAI last September after his call-up.

“We’d have a bit of banter about the England or Ireland thing but it was always something I knew was possible and to get the call from Noel [King] was an honour.

“I spoke to Noel and he knew I had relatives from Galway and was eligible to play. I was delighted. I then get my Irish citizenship and the passport and I’m delighted it has all come through.

“My grandparents on my father’s side were both from Galway. My Dad was very pleased. His side of the family are really proud and so is my Mum, of course.

“We’ve still got relatives in Ireland. My Dad’s aunt is still living in Galway and we’d always go to visit her when I was younger. She lives on a farm. I’d always have a Galway GAA shirt as well when I was a kid.”

And O’Hara believes that he is now learning from the best in the business as he gets to train alongside David De Gea on a daily basis.

“In my opinion David De Gea is one of if not the best goalkeepers in the world right now so to get to see him every day and to get the privilege to train with him sometimes and learn from him can only improve me as a goalkeeper.”

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:20pm
It will be great news for some of the lads on here that he is eligible for England, as they can now spend the next 4 years urging MON to call him up, and post stuff about the English FA possibly 'stealing' him back from us if MON does not comply with their wishes. 

Other than the inevitable nonsense that will follow, Jose is a decent judge of a Keeper, he rarely has bad ones, called Casillas' decline early enough too, so the fact he thinks O'Hara is worthy of being 3rd choice for Man U is an encouraging sign for the youngfella. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:43pm
Even if the young lad ends up in League 1 or wherever next season, it wouldn't be any harm in O'Neill looking at getting him involved in training camps.

We've a real lack of goalkeepers coming through. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

It will be great news for some of the lads on here that he is eligible for England, as they can now spend the next 4 years urging MON to call him up, and post stuff about the English FA possibly 'stealing' him back from us if MON does not comply with their wishes. 

Betting market opens at Under/Over 7.5 "Can we move this to the ROW section" posts

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:41am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Other than the inevitable nonsense that will follow, Jose is a decent judge of a Keeper, he rarely has bad ones, called Casillas' decline early enough too, so the fact he thinks O'Hara is worthy of being 3rd choice for Man U is an encouraging sign for the youngfella. 
Joel Pereira and Dean Henderson are injured and Sam Johnstone is on loan at Villa.
Best of luck to the lad but he`s probably still 5 or 6th choice there.
You will however have the inevitable crew calling for his inclusion in Ireland squads purely because he has 2 hands.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Even if the young lad ends up in League 1 or wherever next season, it wouldn't be any harm in O'Neill looking at getting him involved in training camps.

We've a real lack of goalkeepers coming through. 

Do we?

At present we have

Randolph (29)
Elliot (30)
Westwood (32)
Henderson (28)
Murphy (33)

All either premier league or championship regulars with anywhere from 5-10 years left in them.

Already trained with the senior squad

Ian Lawlor (22), now playing regular ball in league 2, will be league 1 next season.
Danny Murphy (22), back playing second fiddle at Aberdeen but was doing well out on loan.

Then you've players from our U21's
Liam Bossin (20) trying to breakthrough at Anderlecht, doning well in their youth team & on loan

on top of this lad at United.

I think we're doing alright, keepers tend not to establish themselves until mid 20's these days.

Randolph is good example, spent most of his early career in league 2 and conference, before joining Motherwell which subsequently led to Birmingham signing him at 26. 2 good seasons the got him a PL move at 28, before finally establishing himself at 29.

Of the 4 lads above, under the age of 22, id be confident of one of them makig the breakthrough. My money on Lawlor.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 5:15pm
We're not in dire straights when it comes to keepers certainly, but we aren't overflowing with options either. Bar Westwood and Randolph(recently) , we don't have any other guaranteed starters in the top two divisions. There's plenty of lads like Henderson, Murphy, Bunn and Lonergan who are in-and-out of their club sides, but I wouldn't really want to be relying on any of them if we had a few injuries going into a big qualifying match. Having a young keeper coming through at a big club can only help.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:07pm
On the bench today vs Palace

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 3:30pm
In the squad for the United game against West Brom on Sunday 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:03pm
Whenever I see his name I get 'Spanish Sahara' by The Foals stuck in my head.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Whenever I see his name I get 'Spanish Sahara' by The Foals stuck in my head.

Tune Clap

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:52pm
Saved four pens today, including three in a shoot out to see them through Clap

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
Cap him or it will be Grealish Mark III this time next year!

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

It won't be. Kieran unfortunately isn't anywhere near as talented as Rice or Grealish.

United's other under-23s 'keeper Dean Henderson, was sent out on loan to the Championship, while O'Hara is at a League 2 club, I think that says plenty about how he is rated at Old Trafford.

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:35pm
watched the highlights on sky website, O'hara looks about 5ft 8, looked very small for a keeper anyway. wikipedia says 6ft 3, no way.

Posted By: The Tribesman
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

watched the highlights on sky website, O'hara looks about 5ft 8, looked very small for a keeper anyway. wikipedia says 6ft 3, no way.

I haven't seen him and I doubt he's only 5ft 8ins, in The premiership a goalie @ 6ft 2ins like Shay is considered 'small'!

Posted By: The Tribesman
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

It won't be. Kieran unfortunately isn't anywhere near as talented as Rice or Grealish.

United's other under-23s 'keeper Dean Henderson, was sent out on loan to the Championship, while O'Hara is at a League 2 club, I think that says plenty about how he is rated at Old Trafford.

Kieran will probably end up in a Championship club full time down the line and he would definitely be a better goalie than either Grealish or Rice!Big smile

But what of young 'Henderson' surely Irish Blood there somewhere along the line too?

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 2:54pm
It is bad enough that we have lads scouting for every lad with an Irish name, now we are starting on the Scottish ones!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

He is 6'2-6'3, definitely not small.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:31am
Seems to be doing well, via AP

Had it not been for Kieran O'Hara's heroics, the margin of the Railwaymen's victory would have been greater.

The on-loan Manchester United keeper kept out Bowery's first-time shot with his legs and blocked a near-post effort from the striker late in the first half.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 4:47pm
sky sports singing his praises today, seems to be doing well despite them not getting results 

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 7:12pm
Dropped to the bench of late for Macclesfield, who've won for the first time in 36 League matches today.

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 7:26pm
Fiacre Kelleher dropped aswell

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:20pm
Not a great sign, albeit he has apparently been playing well. Haven't heard much good or bad about Kelleher.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:23pm
He was poor for us against Germany at home and should have done better for Israel’s second goal last week.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Not a great sign, albeit he has apparently been playing well. Haven't heard much good or bad about Kelleher.

Kelleher was out injured recent. Hopefully he kicks on.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Kelleher was out injured recent. Hopefully he kicks on.

Fiacre Kelleher who's also on loan at Macclesfield, not Caoimhin.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 1:23pm
Caoimhin Kelleher playing for liverpool u23's v Derby County live on lfctv today. Ben Woodburn of wales playing too.

-------------

Posted By: PaddyDaCulchie
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:12pm
O'Hara and Kelleher on bench again for Macclesfield

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:32pm
And they're 4-0 down before HT...

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 4:45am
It'll be very hard to get any sense of what O'Hara is actually like as Macclesfield seem to be that poor. 

Shows the importance of picking the right loan moves for young players looking to get first team experience.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 7:05am
At least that shows they aren't the main problems.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:17pm
Shows ManU didn't put a lot of care into this decision also.

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 4:13pm
Well if you were going to place him in a league club  that would be easiest to get first team action  you would think it would be Macclesfield to be honest.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 9:53am
Macclesfield pulled off a miracle to stay up and Kieran won all three player of the year awards at the club, not bad 

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 10:26am
people will probably laugh because it’s league two, but being a no.1 at any football league club is a serious achievement at his age.

Our goalkeeping prospects look really good with him, Bazunu, Kelleher and Travers

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

people will probably laugh because it’s league two, but being a no.1 at any football league club is a serious achievement at his age.

Our goalkeeping prospects look really good with him, Bazunu, Kelleher and Travers

KOH is 23. Hardly a baby.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:45am
Also Fiacre kelleher whos been a main stay at centre half on loan from Oxford is there. Hes very high up for Defensive stats in the league and hopefully can go back to Oxford next season and get in the team.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 12:39pm
I think he'll make a decent keeper, probably has the potential to make it in Championship. You always have to consider that it can be easier for a goalkeeper to look good when they're playing for a struggling team though, simply due to the volume of shots they face.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 12:15pm
Signed for Burton Albion. (Season long loan) 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 3:15pm
Good move for him, still very young for a keeper and working his way up the leagues.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:20am

Good move for him, still very young for a keeper and working his way up the leagues.

i think its a good move as well, seems like he did quite well at macclesfield, interested to see how he does in league one in a side that could challenge for promotion as opposed to the relegation fight he was in last year

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 7:47am
He's gone a bit under the radar but is having an excellent season with Burton by all accounts. Strong argument to suggest that on form he's number two behind Randolph now. 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 11:57am
Watching the highlights of the game vs Leicester and he made some quality saves Clap hopefully he's not happy being a squad player at a big club though. Needs to keep clocking up those league games. Could have a very good league career ahead of him.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Andrew00
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 4:28pm
Made League1 Team of the Week again despite conceding 2 goals so he must be doing something right 

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:16pm
Released by United

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:31pm
Would certainly have given them a bit more bite at the back.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:27pm
Wouldn't be too worried, was never going to make the breakthrough there but should pick up a L1 or maybe even Championship club easy enough

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:49pm
Championship hopefully, continue his progression up the leagues. We need a goalkeeper who is playing. Randolph has never let us down but is warming the bench at West Ham and could be doing it in the Championship next season. Travers is third choice at Bournemouth and they look like going down too. Westwood''s future is unknown, Elliot likewise, Kelleher needs to play and go on loan next season to get experience.

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:47pm
Would Celtic look at him as cheap backup for Foster if he stays?

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:50pm
I'd rather keep any more of our younger talents away from Lennon, he's not exactly a champion of youth.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 1:06pm
Taylor, Nitcham, Johnston, Édouard, Frimpong, and Ajer are all younger than O'Hara.

O'Hara is 24, he's not a youth player.

He should go to any club regardless of division and play first team football. If he's good enough he'll earn an opportunity to play at a higher level.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Taylor, Nitcham, Johnston, Édouard, Frimpong, and Ajer are all younger than O'Hara.

He should go to any club regardless of division and play first team football. If he's good enough he'll earn an opportunity to play at a higher level.

Either way there are more than enough Irish players wasting away their careers at Celtic already without O'Hara going there to warm the bench as well.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 1:37pm
If their good enough they'll play.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 1:39pm

And all of them bar Frimpong and Taylor were in situ prior to Lennon taking over. Lennon does not favour bringing through young players, he sticks with experience. And a 24 year old goalkeeper is more akin to a 20 year old outfielder, so I'd definitely still class him as a young player.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 1:55pm

And all of them bar Frimpong and Taylor were in situ prior to Lennon taking over. Lennon does not favour bringing through young players, he sticks with experience. And a 24 year old goalkeeper is more akin to a 20 year old outfielder, so I'd definitely still class him as a young player.

Like HB said, if they’re good enough they will play.

He doesn’t stick with experience, he plays the best players available to him.

The Irish lads there are simply not good enough at the moment.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 2:55pm
The bigger question which hasn't been asked yet why would you even think about a backup role when you've just played a full season in L1, unless he's also suffering from Rob Elliot Syndrome.

He's 24, L1 clubs and SPL clubs and most Championship clubs are skint because of COVID so they'll be looking for free agents mostly and he has a full season of L1 football on his CV, he's going to get offers.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Like HB said, if they’re good enough they will play.

He doesn’t stick with experience, he plays the best players available to him.

The Irish lads there are simply not good enough at the moment.

Players will only develop if given opportunity to do so. That opportunity comes in the form of minutes on the pitch.

If Lennon isn't picking them they will never come on. A good manager is able to rotate his squad effectively to ensure that young players can get opportunities to develop in the correct games.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 4:05pm
I've not seen goal keeper rotation in any team when playing league games.

Some players would play their second choice keeper in 'some' cup games.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 5:04pm

I've not seen goal keeper rotation in any team when playing league games.

Some players would play their second choice keeper in 'some' cup games.

And Lennon wouldn't even do that. Just look at Conor Hazard, he's had a few good loan spells but can't get a sniff of gametime in any competition for Celtic. It's all moot in any case, there's no suggestion O'Hara is heading to Celtic thankfully.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 5:58pm
He's not 2nd choice. He's third choice. So Bain and Gordon have played.

Celtic have always put a out a strong side in the league cup.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm

He's not 2nd choice. He's third choice. So Bain and Gordon have played.

Celtic have always put a out a strong side in the league cup.

Which is another way of saying what? That Lennon trusts experienced players (like Bain) over giving a chance to a promising young player like Hazard..... There's nothing wrong with that, so I'm not sure why you're trying to deny the fact? It's simply a managerial preference, and in this case it's a preference that is relevant to any inexperienced player looking to join Celtic.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
Which is a way of saying he's probably not good enough either.

If Hazard was good enough he'd get a chance. A bit like the 6 other youngsters who play on a regular basis.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:13pm
So when's the Celtic move going to be confirmed?

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:22pm
Seemingly Blackburn are the front runners at the moment for his signature, Lincoln and Birmingham are also interested.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:27pm
Blackburn or Birmingham would both be good moves. Birmingham have 35 year old Lee Camp in goal and the Blackburn keeper is on loan from Brighton. So a good chance to get the jersey at both clubs.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Blackburn or Birmingham would both be good moves. Birmingham have 35 year old Lee Camp in goal and the Blackburn keeper is on loan from Brighton. So a good chance to get the jersey at both clubs.

Camp is horrific, baffling how he keeps starting for clubs at that level

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:37pm
Blackburn tried to sign Jon McLoughlin from Sunderland before Rangers got him so they're definitely in the market for a goalkeeper who's not going to cost them a transfer fee. It would be a good move for O'Hara, they're a strong enough side and could make the play-offs.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 12:51am
Has trained with Shrewsbury and trialed with Swindon; links with Blackburn described as tenuous.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-ohara-transfer-18781064" rel="nofollow - https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-ohara-transfer-18781064

This article suggests that League One is his ceiling.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 8:11am
Shrewsbury still have Joe Murphy I think, though he's near 40 now and they brought in Max O'Leary on loan ahead of him. Max might get a chance in the Bristol City first team, if so he would be another Irish option. O'Hara should look for better than League 1 at this stage of his career. Fairly scathing assessment of him in the article, others may have a different view.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Shrewsbury still have Joe Murphy I think, though he's near 40 now and they brought in Max O'Leary on loan ahead of him. Max might get a chance in the Bristol City first team, if so he would be another Irish option. O'Hara should look for better than League 1 at this stage of his career. Fairly scathing assessment of him in the article, others may have a different view.
But again it must be fairly obvious that he might have to accept that this is the best he can do. Irish fans online might have a higher opinion of all these lads, but that doesn't seem to tally with the clubs interested in them. 
If he, or the likes of O'Connor, are that good there will be a host of better clubs in for them in 12 months...

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:22am
I think this is a different situation to O'Connor to be fair, O'Connor is a player who has made poor club choices, especially in going to Celtic, and has suffered as a result. The only positive is that it will be a lesson for other young Irish players when they get that option in future - they will know not to go to Celtic hopefully.

The article quoted on O'Hara is probably just a realistic viewpoint of where he is at, given his age. He may step up in future, but I think League 1 is his level for now.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:42am
O'Connor has been a disappointment at Celtic. It would appear he is nowhere near the level required and had a poor loan spell in the second tier in Scotland. He can still turn it around but there is a reason he is at Tranmere.
The hyperbole on here is incredible, even when considering the over-the-top reaction of football fans. Troy Parrott should score 25 goals next season despite never making a league start. He should also retire because his friend has a father who is dodgy and bought a car. 
Kieran O'Hara should be getting a move much higher than the only clubs who want to sign him and Lee O'Connor should throw the toys out of the pram because he hasn't been good enough for the club that signed him.

-------------

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 11:09am
A lot of emerging Irish players tend to be massively overhyped on here, its always been the way, usually based on reserve or lower league appearances that nobody has ever seen, so easy to distort their personal impact to say they are excelling when in fact that is not the case because there is nobody watching to contradict it. Playing in a foreign league - Bulgaria, Slovakia, Poland,  etc is another useful way to create this narrative for those who like to create their agenda. 
At least with the likes of Connolly making his way in the Premier league you can see first hand his potential, as well as his struggles, though even then many will see through their green tinted specs and make him out to be the star player in the team when he's not touched the ball all game.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 11:37am
O'Hara hasn't yet shown enough to suggest he's more than a L1 keeper. There's no point in him going to a Championship side and sitting on the bench all season. Another year playing regularly in L1 is the best thing for him. It's not as if he's in a rush, still loads of time for him to move up the ladder as a goalkeeper.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

O'Connor has been a disappointment at Celtic. It would appear he is nowhere near the level required and had a poor loan spell in the second tier in Scotland. He can still turn it around but there is a reason he is at Tranmere.
The hyperbole on here is incredible, even when considering the over-the-top reaction of football fans. Troy Parrott should score 25 goals next season despite never making a league start. He should also retire because his friend has a father who is dodgy and bought a car. 
Kieran O'Hara should be getting a move much higher than the only clubs who want to sign him and Lee O'Connor should throw the toys out of the pram because he hasn't been good enough for the club that signed him.

Your bang on we do obviously overhype our own and the talent around the 21s/19s is only serving to excelerate that.
I strongly disagree with the Celtic comments as the 5 lads up there really have no hope besides getting out. O’Connor is a prime example in that him getting 30-40 at a decent League 2 side is far better for him then being at Celtic stuck playing kids football. I have no issue with him going to Tranmere they will be pushing for promotion for League 2 and the lad is only turned 20 he has plenty time to move up the ladder which he will if good enough at him and O’Haras ages playing men’s football even if only at League 1 or 2 is the name of the game.

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I strongly disagree with the Celtic comments as the 5 lads up there really have no hope besides getting out. O’Connor is a prime example in that him getting 30-40 at a decent League 2 side is far better for him then being at Celtic stuck playing kids football. I have no issue with him going to Tranmere they will be pushing for promotion for League 2 and the lad is only turned 20 he has plenty time to move up the ladder which he will if good enough at him and O’Haras ages playing men’s football even if only at League 1 or 2 is the name of the game.

Yep, we can hype players all day who have yet to really do anything.
Best to get these lads playing senior football somewhere and then we can see their potential.
If Parrott or Idah play lots of games this season and flop, well, that's a good indication they were massively over-hyped.
Same with O'Connor and O'Hara here.

The best way to shut us all up with the hype is for us all to see these lads actually play regularly.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Yep, we can hype players all day who have yet to really do anything.
Best to get these lads playing senior football somewhere and then we can see their potential.
If Parrott or Idah play lots of games this season and flop, well, that's a good indication they were massively over-hyped.
Same with O'Connor and O'Hara here.

The best way to shut us all up with the hype is for us all to see these lads actually play regularly.

Bang on young players learn by going out and playing men’s football the level is irrelevant the first 2/3 years from 18-21. 
That’s another thing if Parrott or Idah let’s say don’t catch fire or flop that doesn’t mean they are to be written off at 18/19. they still are young they could end up still being outstanding down the line and vice versa they could rip it up score 20 goals and have everyone thinking they will be top class and could be back playing League 1 by 26. This season is important for them for games to get rolling but it won’t define their careers. 

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 3:17pm
Very strange he hasn't a club yet 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Very strange he hasn't a club yet 
Maybe the biting incident is a factor.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:27pm
Never did Hannibal Lecter any harm. He sat out training with Ireland ' as a precaution ', so I assume he must be carrying some sort of injury. Lockjaw, maybe. As he is a free agent he can presumably sign for a new club anytime.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 2:01pm
Dropped by Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:29am
Signs a one year contract with Colchester in League 2. He's 26 now so needs this move to be a success if he is going to continue as a keeper in the football league. Looking very unlikely that he'll add to his couple of Ireland caps at this stage.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net