Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54661
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Red Bull Swindon
Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Subject: Red Bull Swindon
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:41am
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this on here yet given what's going on in Germany this year. Red Bull are in "advanced talks" to take over at swindon.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Replies:
Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:52am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this on here yet given what's going on in Germany this year. Red Bull are in "advanced talks" to take over at swindon.
Don't think there is anything in it, for now at least, I imagine they are just sounding out, it is inevitable though. I would imagine they would try to get closer to London and Leeds has also been mentioned, the poor bastards.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:54am
Tim Sherwood appointed Swindon DoF yesterday. He looks like a Red Bull kind of guy.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:28am
Red Bull should make an approach for an Irish side. 

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:35am
Can anyone enlighten me as to where RB get their massive marketing spend? Who the fook is actually drinking their sh*te drink?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:37am
Don't think it'll work in the UK. They won't be allowed change the name, Hull tried it. The fans would just form their own club like Wimbledon did.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:39am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me as to where RB get their massive marketing spend? Who the fook is actually drinking their sh*te drink?

They had over €5bn Revenue in 2014.

English market is better for them as they would face less opposition from the association and fans I'd imagine. In terms of taking over an Irish team I'm sure I would love to hate RB Waterford but there's no upside for them really unless they bend the rules on fan-ownership again so all their teams can play in Europe.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:46am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Don't think it'll work in the UK. They won't be allowed change the name, Hull tried it. The fans would just form their own club like Wimbledon did.
Like Austria-Salzburg? They got lucky that a large city like Leipzig had a football team stumbling from crisis to crisis in the lower leagues, their first choice was St. Pauli, it didn't go down well.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Like Austria-Salzburg? They got lucky that a large city like Leipzig had a football team stumbling from crisis to crisis in the lower leagues, their first choice was St. Pauli, it didn't go down well.

Didn't go down well at all.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Red Bull Rovers

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Red Bull Athlone. Clap

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Red Bull is the highest-selling energy drink in the world, with 5.387 billion cans sold in 2013

That is 3 years ago...

In fairness I agree with you I can't stand it it gives me the sh*ts

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:07pm
R. Honigstein saying last week that the preferred option in England is Leeds.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:15pm

There's strong rules in England though.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:19pm

Just ask MK Dons, it was actually the EPL that stopped Hull changing it's name in a one off decision not the FA. Hardly precedent setting in League 1. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:26pm

Just ask MK Dons, it was actually the EPL that stopped Hull changing it's name in a one off decision not the FA. Hardly precedent setting in League 1. 
The FA couldn't give a flying f**k, as has been pointed out MK Dons and Hull but there are plenty more examples, it would be more difficult in Germany and they have managed it.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:38pm

The FA couldn't give a flying f**k, as has been pointed out MK Dons and Hull but there are plenty more examples, it would be more difficult in Germany and they have managed it.

Crafty buggers alright.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Didn't go down well at all.

hahahahahahaha of all the clubs to approach first 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 1:21pm
This is energy drink war, that's what this is.
Carabao get involved with Reading and now Red Bull want to get involved with their rivals. 
Scary times lads, scary times !

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:05pm

Very Clever in how they done it

The statutes of the DFB would not permit the corporate name to be included in the club name.Instead, the club adopted the unusual name "RasenBallsport", literally meaning "Lawn Ball Sports". But through the use of the initials "RB", which corresponds to the initials of the company,the corporate identity could still be recognized

Not sure if England has the same rules but would imagine they'd find some clever way to get around it just like the above

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:26pm

Very Clever in how they done it

The statutes of the DFB would not permit the corporate name to be included in the club name.Instead, the club adopted the unusual name "RasenBallsport", literally meaning "Lawn Ball Sports". But through the use of the initials "RB", which corresponds to the initials of the company,the corporate identity could still be recognized

Not sure if England has the same rules but would imagine they'd find some clever way to get around it just like the above
When you look at some of the dodgy owners in English football and some of the things that have happened then I doubt Red Bull would have much problem. Chelsea, for example, completely recreated their identity and brand since Roman times, they may as well have changed their name! I do very much doubt they would hit a small provincial town like Swindon over a side based in a bigger city. Leeds or Charlton seem much more logical.

-------------

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:39pm
Recreating an identity and brand is one thing, subjective and all as that is. Clubs grow, the area they serve changes demographics. Changing the name that has been there since 1883 (and I accept this is their third name) is a different gravy.

Closest I can think to this in England is (I know...) Cardiff and no-one in the FA batted an eyelid.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:57pm
I wouldn't mind Newcastle Red Bulls Wink  as long as St. James Park kept the name

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 4:14pm

I wouldn't mind Newcastle Red Bulls Wink  as long as St. James Park kept the name

You couldn't keep the name when Ashley took over man LOL

Anyways. We didn't mention it much cos it aint happening ! Twitter gossip about Red Bull coming to England happens annually.

It's a bit disappointing though to be promised Red Bull and you end up with Tim Sherwood instead.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You couldn't keep the name when Ashley took over man LOL

Anyways. We didn't mention it much cos it aint happening ! Twitter gossip about Red Bull coming to England happens annually.

It's a bit disappointing though to be promised Red Bull and you end up with Tim Sherwood instead.

I was joking hence the Wink

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:26am
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/11/leyton-orient-francesco-becchetti-owner-fans#comments" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/11/leyton-orient-francesco-becchetti-owner-fans

Just one of the great owners that passed the 'fit and proper person' test. 

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:37am
Swindon are certainly bland enough to sell their club to Red Bull. One of the worst places i have ever been not a dump just incredibly dull

Tim Sherwood rocking a red bull gillet as they roar through the Lower Divisions. Could work

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:43am
Swindon should be good on the wings now

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Swindon are certainly bland enough to sell their club to Red Bull. One of the worst places i have ever been not a dump just incredibly dull

Tim Sherwood rocking a red bull gillet as they roar through the Lower Divisions. Could work

As I said before, I doubt it will be Swindon. Leeds would not be hugely dissimilar to Leipzig, similar sized cities and the fans there have been through enough to see every new owner as a saviour, or a London team to build on. Swindon would explain Lee Power there fully though.

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:22am
Red Bull Leeds Clap

we are so proud we should out loud we love you red! bull! leeds!

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:02pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/11/leyton-orient-francesco-becchetti-owner-fans#comments" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/11/leyton-orient-francesco-becchetti-owner-fans

Just one of the great owners that passed the 'fit and proper person' test. 

a sad state of affairs at orient. been following them for the past 18/19 years or so (picked a random team in champ manager 97/98 and followed them since) and haven't seen them in worse shape as they are now. gutted when barry hearn sold up a couple of years back to this cowboy and it's been nothing but problems since. really was a great family club - the story about how kevin lisbie joined and that his wife would make sambos for the 1st team when they had away games, is all gone.

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:59pm
Guessing some on here don't know in league 1 there are strict rules on clubs only allowed to spend 60-65% of their turnover on wages and something similar on transfer fee's. Look at United, owned by richest family in the world who are worth TRILLIONS yet they can't get out of the feckin division as they aren't allowed to spend money on transfers despite having the biggest budget in the league every year so the owners have invested it in facilities and the pitch hoping it will eventually pay off. The last lot to throw money at getting out of the league were Bournemouth and still don't know how they didn't get done for breaking the transfer cap

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Guessing some on here don't know in league 1 there are strict rules on clubs only allowed to spend 60-65% of their turnover on wages and something similar on transfer fee's. Look at United, owned by richest family in the world who are worth TRILLIONS yet they can't get out of the feckin division as they aren't allowed to spend money on transfers despite having the biggest budget in the league every year so the owners have invested it in facilities and the pitch hoping it will eventually pay off. The last lot to throw money at getting out of the league were Bournemouth and still don't know how they didn't get done for breaking the transfer cap

Wouldn't Red Bull just pay x amount for shirt sponsorship and that'd increase the turnover?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm

I have no idea why the Blades haven't broken the cap, the punishment never fits the crime, unless they want to be seen to play by the rules after the Tevez affair. Just look at QPR as an example, the cap is an excellent idea but, like FFP, it is hardly ever enforced and when it is the consequences are laughable.

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:26pm

The last lot to throw money at getting out of the league were Bournemouth and still don't know how they didn't get done for breaking the transfer cap
Simple.

Bournemouth broke the FL Rules, but they can't take action whilst Bournemouth are in the EPL (i.e. a League can only discipline its own member clubs).

Was the same with QPR, until they got relegated back down again.

And although the FL have tried to throw the book at them, QPR's lawyers argue that the "book" has no validity in law, so it looks like they'll negotiate some sort of deal (if they haven't already done so).

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:49pm
PM, they're still 50% owned by McCabe and the Saudis and thankfully they don't seem interested in throwing money at things now and then being in the sh*t later down the road though I do think if they ever get out of the league they might throw the cash at the starting XI

Territorial, know what your saying but Bournemouth done it in league 1 and the championship and had sfa done to them while everyone else tried staying within the rules and I think their league 1 season was the year the rules came into effect so they got given a years grace on it and then done a qpr so can't see a Swindon being able to get away with it

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:44pm
Not even Red Bull can save these lot.

Currently 3-0 down to Conference side Eastleigh in the FA Cup LOL

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:39pm
Wasn't watching the game but apparently tim Sherwood came down from
The executive box And started managing the team? This true.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net