Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54619
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prague
Posted By: bag of chips
Subject: Prague
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 5:34pm
Heading with the mrs at the end of January for 3 nights. Any recommendations for things to do while over there. Not into nightclubs

Replies:
Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 5:59pm
Leave the missus at home and bring a mate...

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 6:04pm
I wouldn't bother with nightclubs

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:07pm
Well to be fair she is getting the trip as a Christmas present to me so I kinda have to bring her. Booking it through click and go and getting flights and accommodation for €170 each, are click and go reputable?

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:16pm
If either of ye like drink,drugs and brazzers ye're sorted

In fairness it is a nice city,when it's not jammed with tourists

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

If either of ye like drink,drugs and brazzers ye're sorted

In fairness it is a nice city,when it's not jammed with tourists

When's it not jammed with tourists . Good city brought the misses last year . Trip up to the castle is worth doing

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:07pm
Nothing's 100% booked yet, was her idea to go to Prague. Definitely booking some place over the weekend, if not Prague where else would people recommend? Less than 3 hours flight and nowhere expensive.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:38pm
vienna is nice. Id recommend you go next month the weekend of the 12th.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

vienna is nice. Id recommend you go next month the weekend of the 12th.

Suspect the cost of flights might be a bit prohibitive

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 10:54pm
Over Charles Bridge and up the hill there is a nice palace and an unbelievable looking church (can't remember its name). Apart from that I would say you should spend most your time in the Old Town. There is a Chocolate Cafe called Choco Cafe I believe that is famous and is something the misses will probably enjoy.

I found the beer over there to be very good, not laced with chemicals so no hangovers for myself anyway.

They have the biggest nightclub in central Europe there as far as I remember.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:26pm
Prague is great for a weekend of wining and dinning.
Picturesque city and very cheap.

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Over Charles Bridge and up the hill there is a nice palace and an unbelievable looking church (can't remember its name). Apart from that I would say you should spend most your time in the Old Town. There is a Chocolate Cafe called Choco Cafe I believe that is famous and is something the misses will probably enjoy.

I found the beer over there to be very good, not laced with chemicals so no hangovers for myself anyway.

Karlovy lazne is the plus of that nightclub, some spot, impossible to get thrown out from

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:36pm

Go to Charles bridge early in the morning to avoid the crowds. John Lennons peace wall is near it. Prague Castle , St Vitus's Cathedral all worth a look. Great views of Prague there also and up on Petrin Hill. You can climb the observation tower there for a small fee for the best view. Went to Museum of Communism and though it was brilliant. Found a lovely little bar on the way down to Charles bridge from the Old town on the left. Very cheap and only locals there. Wouldn't rush back to Prague myself but nice to have seen it.

Posted By: de scientist
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 1:57am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Karlovy lazne is the plus of that nightclub, some spot, impossible to get thrown out from

i think a few of us here could tell you different..... we got tear gassed in there at 6am after the Czech game in 2007 because we wouldnt leave. LOL

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 7:53am
Originally posted by bag of chips bag of chips wrote:

Nothing's 100% booked yet, was her idea to go to Prague. Definitely booking some place over the weekend, if not Prague where else would people recommend? Less than 3 hours flight and nowhere expensive.

Prague is a great spot as is Krakow. Two very similar citie is. My preference would be Krakow. Just remember that the end of January is one of the coldest times of the year in central Europe.

There's more than likely to be a hell of a lot of snow (we're talking depths of feet not inches). Bring warm clothes & plenty of waterproof winter clothing with you, such as coats, hats, scarves and gloves ...oh and hill walking shoes if you have them.

Don't get me wrong as long as you're well wrapped up then you should really enjoy the Bohemian capital and it is really beautiful in winter. It's a different kind of cold to Ireland. The air is dry and crisp.

The upside to visiting Prague in January is there'll be only a few tourists kicking about.

Regards click and go. You can book flights and a hotel yourself for the same money if not for less. Flights on the last Friday to Monday at the end of January for €112 rtn each. If you can afford to throw another €90 on top of your budget then I recommend staying here: http://www.booking.com/hotel/cz/u-medvidku.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQKYAS64AQnIARHYAQPoAQGoAgM;sid=582c365571f09c50385d5c31bbdd4a2b;checkin=2017-01-27;checkout=2017-01-30;room1=A,A;matching_block_id=7763701_89028521_0_1_0;m_occ=2" rel="nofollow - http://www.booking.com/hotel/cz/u-medvidku.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQKYAS64AQnIARHYAQPoAQGoAgM;sid=582c365571f09c50385d5c31bbdd4a2b;checkin=2017-01-27;checkout=2017-01-30;room1=A,A;matching_block_id=7763701_89028521_0_1_0;m_occ=2

I stayed here previously and highly recommend it. They have a fantastic restaurant and make their own beer. Slap bang in the middle of the city as well.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 9:26am

I know you've said you're not into nightclubs, but worth going to the 80s floor in the five-floor nightclub

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:03am
Just be careful of the Absinthe Cocktails!! 

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:55pm
Absinthe in Prague - jesus that reminds me of the hangover over there Dead 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 11:35pm
Apparently the Czech Republic wants to be referred to as Czechia from now on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/czechia-czech-republic-new-name-english-speakers-a7323596.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/czechia-czech-republic-new-name-english-speakers-a7323596.html

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:20am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/czechia-czech-republic-new-name-english-speakers-a7323596.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/czechia-czech-republic-new-name-english-speakers-a7323596.html

What an utter load of bollocks Confused The govt even say the official name of the country is still Czech Republic but they want to change the short version for branding. They'd be as well to just call it Czechoslovakia, as most do anyway LOL

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

What an utter load of bollocks Confused The govt even say the official name of the country is still Czech Republic but they want to change the short version for branding. They'd be as well to just call it Czechoslovakia, as most do anyway LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxthFO-HWs&list=TLavNEAej7-V4" rel="nofollow - www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxthFO-HWs&list=TLavNEAej7-V4

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:43am
The thread title reminds me of Quey Cry

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:55am
Similar to the OP, heading there for the weekend with the missus, any sights to see outside of the big ticket items? Or local bars/restaurants worth trying.

Found a beer spa where you pay €100 to sit in a tub of beer for an hour Approve

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:57am
check out a restaurant called Kozicha (little Goat) on Kozí 918/1, 110 00 Staré Město, Czechia

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Similar to the OP, heading there for the weekend with the missus, any sights to see outside of the big ticket items? Or local bars/restaurants worth trying.

There is absolutely no limit to the stupidity of people! Why the f**k would you want to sit in beer? What level of bollocksology do you have to be at to sell the virtues of sitting in a tasty drink for an hour and fleece them for it?

Hats off to them though, if it is working!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:00am
Brilliant city. Make sure to do a walking tour. Steeped in history. One of the safest capital cities that i feel ive been to. No gougers Big smile

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There is absolutely no limit to the stupidity of people! Why the f**k would you want to sit in beer? What level of bollocksology do you have to be at to sell the virtues of sitting in a tasty drink for an hour and fleece them for it?

What's worse, this or the cup envy McG mentioned on another thread?

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

What's worse, this or the cup envy McG mentioned on another thread?
That’s a tough one. I am guessing this one is down the homeopathic style bullsh*t. The ‘cup envy’ thing is just people being ****s. Both are a sign of the failure of society.

-------------

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:40am
Taxi's are a rip off. Always use UBER

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:59am

Since you asked....

Medicinal effects and history
The beer spa contains many ingredients* that have been used in medicine since ancient times. Guests bathe in the natural extracts used to brew Czech Krušovice® beer: brewer’s yeast, selected varieties of Žatec hops, malt and the beer itself. The high content of hop oils helps open pores and contributes to overall vitality; the high doses of vitamin B and active enzymes in brewer's yeast have a salutary effect on skin regeneration. This unique combination of natural ingredients and the magical effect of royal oak, for ages a symbol of longevity and immunity, stimulate metabolism, help remove harmful substances from the body and ease fatigue and stress, thus resulting in ideal mental and physical relaxation.

The beneficial effects of the beer spa:
skin rejuvenation
absorption of vitamins, carbohydrates and proteins
soothing effect on the skin, hair and muscles
easing of muscle tension
reduction of stress
regeneration of the body and mind
improved blood circulation
detoxification - the removal of harmful substances from the body
treatment of back and joint pain
cleansing of pores
increased cardio activity
treatment of psoriasis, acne and cellulite

So yeah, absolute bolloxology

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:21pm
Top, top bollocksology! ClapClapClap

It is hard not to respect them for it, but maybe not so much those that actually do it.

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:24pm
Visit here often for work. 

Would agree with walking tour, you will really get to see all the main sites on this and there are plenty of kiosks along the way (even in the castle) to grab a can of beer to help enhance the experience. 

Uber coming to the city was great. Top recommendation would be to download the app as you can easily get around then cheaply. Although the metro is great too if the location you want to go to is served by it.

Old town is nice for you and the missus, very European rome-like feel to it from a wining and dining perspective. 

Wenceslas square is let's say where the main action happens in terms of stags/hens, but to be honest I don't like it. No great bars of note, more expensive and way more sleezy. You are with your missus but for example, last time I was approached by a lady of the night. I know you can get that in a lot tourist areas, but a bit strange for a modern european city for it to be so in your face. 

From an Irish bar perspective in case you are looking for sport or whatever, the Dubliner has good food and good for matches (I watched the Rugby there last year, it was jammed) but I don't really like the beer selection. Rocky O'Reilys also ok but a bit smaller. Both on the expensive end (for Prague).
Actually in general, the main let down for me in Prague is the beer, not mad on the local stuff. 

If your into it, there is a district called Andel that is nice to the west of the city. It's on the metro and there is a big shopping mall. The vibe is generally like students or young professionals. But what is great about it is the food and drink prices are even lower than the Old and New town. 
Worth the venture out in case you want to do a bit of shopping and grab something to eat. 
Recommendation: Potrefená husa, Smíchov-Smíchov CZ, Nádražní 222/23, Anděl, 150 00 Praha 5, Czechia

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

But then Uber are absolute ****s.

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Visit here often for work. 

Would agree with walking tour, you will really get to see all the main sites on this and there are plenty of kiosks along the way (even in the castle) to grab a can of beer to help enhance the experience

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 2:15pm

Not as big a **** as the taxi and his €40 3 mile journey. They are notorious for 'legally' ripping off customers. 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 2:28pm
Edit: nevermind. Thought it was a different thread

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 3:17pm
Q MAN knows a lot about Prague. He was always talking about it

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:23pm

Not as big a **** as the taxi and his €40 3 mile journey. They are notorious for 'legally' ripping off customers. 
No, they are way bigger ****s. Uber are an obnoxious company and can’t be compared to the average ‘ I useta folly the Rovehs and I blame da black lads’ you get in Dublin.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net