Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54611
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Belfast
Posted By: Gaz
Subject: Belfast
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:08am
Heading to Belfast with the missus for the long weekend. Staying Saturday and Sunday night.

Hotel is in City Centre but no parking included. Any advice on where is best/cheapest to park the car. Has an Irish reg as well Shocked

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:15am
Shankill Road. Can't see a problem with leaving a southern reg there

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:38am
Last time I was up I just parked in a Multi Storey overnight, Car was grand. The second night which was an unplanned stop over, I abandoned it on the street. Expected it to be on blocks at least the next morning but it was fine and it was parked near the Village Area, not the most welcoming area for us folk. 

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Heading to Belfast with the missus for the long weekend. Staying Saturday and Sunday night.

Hotel is in City Centre but no parking included. Any advice on where is best/cheapest to park the car. Has a southern reg as well Shocked

Where or what hotel are you staying in?

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:24am
'Has a southern reg as well' it will be fine.

Acres of places to park, depends where abouts in the city.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:55am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Hotel is in City Centre but no parking included. Any advice on where is best/cheapest to park the car. Has a southern reg as well Shocked

Travelodge on Brunswick St

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 12:04pm

There's loads of off street parking withing 150m of there Gaz. Why not email the hotel, they may have a rate agreed with a nearby car park

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

There's loads of off street parking withing 150m of there Gaz. Why not email the hotel, they may have a rate agreed with a nearby car park

Thumbs Up

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 1:19pm

You focking cheapskate

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 1:21pm
There's acres of parking with a 2 hour time limit until after 6.

There's a large car park near by top of great Victoria street, another one across from Dublin Road cinema right beside sunny days? I think the hotel is called.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 1:45pm
The carpark at Days Hotel maybe not the best for a southern reg. Theres a few multi storeys within 10 mins walk. Throw it in one of those. Cheap enough

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

The carpark at Days Hotel maybe not the best for a southern reg. Theres a few multi storeys within 10 mins walk. Throw it in one of those. Cheap enough

Yeah definately wouldn't park here, the Sandy Row crew will be out

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 2:02pm
Remember on street parking will be free from 6pm Saturday to 8am Monday

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 2:26pm

Remember on street parking will be free from 6pm Saturday to 8am Monday

Would it be asking for trouble parking on street with a southern reg though?

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 2:43pm
Never had a problem parking a southern reg car in Belfast.  

Those carparks can prove expensive though.  If you are just leaving the car for the weekend and just using it to go up/down then you might want to consider leaving it on Windsor Avenue just off the Lisburn Road.  It is a quiet leafy road with expensive houses.   It is a short bus/Taxi ride to your hotel or well within walking distance (1.5 miles).  

I've been parking there for Windsor Park since the 1980's and never had an issue.  Just cross the Lisburn Road and get a bus into town from there.  Now there may well be closer places but that is certainly safe.  Some of the other avenues closer to the centre are also fine I imagine.  Note don't park on the other side of the Lisburn Road.  

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 4:35pm
They have an agreement with City Car Park on Francis Street - £6 per 24 hours which is grand. That a safe enough spot?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm

They have an agreement with City Car Park on Francis Street - £6 per 24 hours which is grand. That a safe enough spot?

Tis one of the secure multi stories round by Castlecourt shopping centre. Be grand. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm

Aye thats beside Castlecourt Shopping Centre

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:00pm
Thanks lads - now on to the more important issues - what is the pickpocket situation?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:04pm

Thanks lads - now on to the more important issues - what is the pickpocket situation?
one word... Chronic. It's so bad that BSM refused to do a recce

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

one word... Chronic. It's so bad that BSM refused to do a recce
Correct.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:49pm
'Southern reg' 'pick pocket'

I don't know to laugh or cry.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:58pm
Im afraid I have to correct Sham on the Pickpocket situation.

Recently upgraded to cataclysmic.

I'd probably cancel. You'd be safer in Aleppo

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 6:12pm
What's Aleppo ?

If Byrner is trying to tell us there isn't a massive pickpocket problem then I reckon he is cahoots with them. 

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 6:48pm
The estates on Ormeau road are very handy for parking.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:57pm
The Hatfield on a Sunday-a night not to miss Gaz

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:17pm

Don't forget your GAA half zip to blend in with the students   

Our close family friends for many many years own that spot, the Graduate is a good shout for a lunch/dinner!

Lads some of yous have made Belfast sound like Aleppo it's a lovely city, one I can't wait to move back too personally. Loads to do, great places to shop, and for the quality of food you receive for the price too!

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:26pm
Trip to the Pony club for a scoop is a must too, its probably the safest place in Belfast for a man like yourself Gaz

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Our close family friends for many many years own that spot, the Graduate is a good shout for a lunch/dinner!

Lads some of yous have made Belfast sound like Aleppo it's a lovely city, one I can't wait to move back too personally. Loads to do, great places to shop, and for the quality of food you receive for the price too!

The Cassidys-a lovely bunch of lads so much in so I decided to donate to them several student loan instalments

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:19pm

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

The Cassidys-a lovely bunch of lads so much in so I decided to donate to them several student loan instalments

Couldn't meet a nicer family, I was at their weddings, 5am doing mass on Bora Bora beach in Malaga everyone pissed, great times
I'll not use their first names simply letters S,K,J. My father and the brothers would
go on trips to the states annually I need to go on one
Always amazes me how much students spent in there! I worked in it too when I was younger

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 5:13pm
thinking of moseying up tomorrow. Cathedral quarter the place to be? 
I remember seeing a lovely little narrow street with bars. Where’s that?

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Yea that’s Cathedral quarter!! Plenty of nice bars, most places have put prices up mind but still pints under a fiver in most places.

If you’re a Guinness head I would recommend Kelly’s Cellar (10mins from Cathedral quarter) for a few, wouldn’t hang about that area all night mind.

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Yea that’s Cathedral quarter!! Plenty of nice bars, most places have put prices up mind but still pints under a fiver in most places.

If you’re a Guinness head I would recommend Kelly’s Cellar (10mins from Cathedral quarter) for a few, wouldn’t hang about that area all night mind.
how come,pickpockets ?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm

how come,pickpockets ?

The worst pickpockets you will ever come across.

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:09pm
Lots of the best pubs in the city centre are in narrow little streets and historic 'entries', e.g. The Jailhouse ( where Henry Joy McCracken was incarcerated in 1798 before being hanged nearby ), Morning Star, Duke of York, etc. Some of the best ones have not opened up yet or are restricting hours. Kelly's Cellars remains one of the best. Hatfield probably quieter than usual without the students. I have lived in Belfast most of my life and never encountered a pickpocket. Plenty of murderers, cut-throats , crazed thugs and loons but that's enough about politics. This is not a good time of the year, there is always a lot of madness around the 12th.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 8:49am
none of the hotels have parking 😕booked grand central hotel,big tall yoke

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:05am

Go ahead big notes.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:23am

Go ahead big notes.
wha hi?

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:35am
Heading up to Belfast a couple of days before the 12th July 

Cool

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:53am
Even in a normal year its pretty quiet in the City Centre in July, people away or staying out of it due to the marching season. Will be even more quiet this year i'd imagine, bar the bigot-fest days

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 10:29am

The hotel will stamp your ticket, hand it in to the car park and you’ll pay a discounted price

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
I'm up the week after next on a trip around the North. Booked it a good while ago thinking restrictions down South would be extended so a good call! Doing Slieve Donard, Strangford Peninsula, couple of nights in Belfast, couple on Rathlin and visiting friends that live near Maghera and Banbridge.
Still do those black cab tours in Belfast? Have a great interest in the troubles and that would probably be the easiset way to do a bit of venturing I take it

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I'm up the week after next on a trip around the North. Booked it a good while ago thinking restrictions down South would be extended so a good call! Doing Slieve Donard, Strangford Peninsula, couple of nights in Belfast, couple on Rathlin and visiting friends that live near Maghera and Banbridge.
Still do those black cab tours in Belfast? Have a great interest in the troubles and that would probably be the easiset way to do a bit of venturing I take it

Strangford is nice if you get the weather, few good restuaurants, coffee shops and a couple of pubs. 

Yes the black cab tours are still going

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 2:03pm

variant spreading on that itinerary Confused

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Even in a normal year its pretty quiet in the City Centre in July, people away or staying out of it due to the marching season. Will be even more quiet this year i'd imagine, bar the bigot-fest days
busy enough today. Had a few scoops in Commerial Court. Very nice

-------------

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Strangford is nice if you get the weather, few good restuaurants, coffee shops and a couple of pubs. 

Yes the black cab tours are still going

Very little in-between with the cab drivers, I find. Once they hear the accent, some will talk your ears off and others won't say a word to you except to look at you like your chewing gum on the bottom of their shoe.

Though I did find it pretty amusing when my innocent ex didn't get the unspoken message and kept trying to make conversation with one to be polite when he clearly hated our guts.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:01pm
any steakhouse recommendations?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:07pm

Deanes Meat Locker. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:26pm

Stix and Stones, was there a few weeks back! Very nice.

Top blade is meant to be nice too but I haven’t been yet.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:37pm
All the nordies getting out of dodge this time of year & BSM spots a bargain ClapLOL

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

I'll stay locked up for the next 3 years then soThumbs Up I'd imagine the peak of Slieve Donard, Strangford Lough and Rathlin Island are covid hotspots alrightLOL

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 11:18pm

I'll stay locked up for the next 3 years then soThumbs Up I'd imagine the peak of Slieve Donard, Strangford Lough and Rathlin Island are covid hotspots alrightLOL

You should be up and down Donard  in about 4 1/2 hours -hope you get a decent view 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

All the nordies getting out of dodge this time of year & BSM spots a bargain ClapLOL
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

You should be up and down Donard  in about 4 1/2 hours -hope you get a decent view 

Cheers man. Looking forward to it, hope it's a good day now! One good thing about lockdowns has been I've done a lot more outdoorsy things like this

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 8:48pm
Fantastic hospitality everywhere we wentClap

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 11:03pm

The rural outdoors is famous for its covid alright, we should all stick to within 2k of where we live, original lockdown was the best of course. 

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 12:42am

Terri’s best mate. Expected nothing less!

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 1:18am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Terri’s best mate. Expected nothing less!
Terri and BSM meeting up for pints 

Shocked

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Patman Scoop
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:57pm
heading to Belfast this weekend, can I just walk into boozers and scoop away or do I need to be booking places? 

-------------
Why no wine??!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 10:01pm
Was there last night. You'd definitely want to be booking places. We got lucky enough to get a table in the Dirty Onion in the Cathedral Quarter. Every bar had queues to get in. Live music in most places too. 

The Duke of York, the Harp and a few other bars were closed for whatever reason. Some places are on random opening hours too (12-6pm).

I didn't think I'd need to have to book somewhere for a Tuesday night but for a weekend, I'd recommend booking somewhere to save the hassle of queueing and hoping people will be leaving so you can get in.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 10:09pm
we were in the Duke of York last week. Lovely spot
We rambled in everywhere no issues. I’d book if you are going for a meal though

-------------

Posted By: Patman Scoop
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 10:12pm
thanks gents, any recommendations for dinner, was looking at Henry's on the sat night, have top blade booked for Friday 

-------------
Why no wine??!

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

thanks gents, any recommendations for dinner, was looking at Henry's on the sat night, have top blade booked for Friday 
ended up having pub grub because we had nowhere booked! Didn’t bother me and grub was good. 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:08pm

we were in the Duke of York last week. Lovely spot
We rambled in everywhere no issues. I’d book if you are going for a meal though

Good spot for tinder dates Cool

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:56pm
Heading to Belfast for the weekend. 4 of us in total. Looking for somewhere to watch the match on Sat, somewhere with some decent pub grub and close enough to a few decent pubs to go to afterwards?
Any recommendations? 

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Duke of York is a fine pub. Not sure they do grub but definitely worth a drink 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
You wouldn’t be able to watch the match in the Duke of York, good bar all the same 
Actually don’t think many city centre bars or ones round the cathedral quarter would show the match - maybe Henry’s, or the Garrick
Are NI playin at the same time? 

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:35pm
Yeah you def won't get in the Duke of York. Henrys/Jailhouse or Franklin's would be your best bet..

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:27pm
Garrick be a good enough shout. Either that or Nancy Mulligans who will definitely be showing the game

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:07pm
cheers lads, will try them. Food isn't essential, once we get to see the game.

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: fr larry duff
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:48pm
Franklins is quality for football, it's a sports bar out the back of robinsons. Though I suspect it would be busy as norn iron are playing after us. 

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by kevjreilly kevjreilly wrote:

cheers lads, will try them. Food isn't essential, once we get to see the game.

Drink will probably be essential to get through it though

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:04pm
whereabouts are yis staying? all places mentioned will be showing the match but if you're nearer Botanic area I'd say the Empire might be showing it downstairs and they do a good pizza deal there. Town Square across from the Empire used to have a big screen but I dunno what the set up is now, haven't been since things opened up again. The Points may be showing it too, and maybe the Marcus Ward if you're getting closer to town from Botanic. 

Franklins or Henrys/Jailhouse your best bet if right in the city centre for the match, and the Garrick. NI are playing at 7:45 so shouldn't have any issues. Garrick does decent pub grub too. Ulster Sports Club might be showing it I'm not sure, bit of a old-man-bar-turned-hipster spot if that's your bag. The Deer's Head might show it, it only recently reopened and it used to be a good spot for the football when it was called the Berliner. 

I'd avoid Dirty Onion and Thirsty Goat tbh, Cathedral Quarter in general is a bit of a ripoff in my view. The Spaniard is a good wee bar and Duke of York is good but I'm not really a fan of the others around Hill Street. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net