Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54190
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 5:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Political Leanings of LOI fans/clubs
Posted By: Green Man
Subject: Political Leanings of LOI fans/clubs
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 4:44pm
Are politics much of a feature with LOI fanbases? Only I have read varying things on Bohs having a big segment involved with the ANTIFA crowd. Read varying thing on Rovers. Know St Pats have Ultras. Shelbourne dont really know much regarding them, apparently they dont have much fans though

Any thoughts, from what I see its not big feature but just interested

Replies:
Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 10:07am
Derry, Cork, Pats, Rovers and Galway have always had left leaning fan groups, Derry and Rovers also very Republican. Bohs have rebranded as lefty hipster after 120 conservative and right wing years.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 10:11am
If Left wing is individuals organising in groups as wide, Inclusive as resources allow. Empowering through representation and providing accurate, relevant information in a timely matter.
If Right-wing is exclusion based on narrow ideas (e.g. 1. length of time watching a team 2. not distributing info to wider community 3.targeting individuuals who non-decision makers or have few resources). Exclude and target based on Equality grounds incld. Economic class (pricing).

Its possible to politicise by Left/Right spectrum almost any message to and from individual Fans or Supporter Groups.

Because of the natural adversial, competitve environment of Sport it might suit the Right wing mentality best. The Left wing mentality has to convince against the 'battle of the fittest' 'every man for himself' looking for info and access.

There is also a pretence that authentic Right wing attitudes are really Left wing. E.G. sl*gging off Football Followers going to matches in England or sl*gging Football Fans watching a game on the television on a seat in a Public House. These aren't Left wing complaints. But exclusionary, targetting individuals in the Sport and Right wing.

Equality exclusion can come from Left and Right wing views. The narrow compartments of Equality grounds allows for that.

Being anti-authority can be both Right and Left wing, although anti-authority can be presented as only left wing, but it depends on the language and ideas expressed.

I think far more Right wing ideas in Irish Football than some people care to admit. Rejecting empowerment for Football fans, allowing individuals or community of fans to be targeted. These are ideas at the top of YBIG and it should be a problem for those that rest of us.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 12:40pm
Ever notice how they only have political banners for things that happen abroad. It's all so they can post on Facebook and show off to people in Europe. You'd never see a banner about water bills.

Cork City has no political banners. They are banned. Some fella brought some right wing thing years ago and it made the club look bad.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Ever notice how they only have political banners for things that happen abroad. It's all so they can post on Facebook and show off to people in Europe. You'd never see a banner about water bills.

Cork City has no political banners. They are banned. Some fella brought some right wing thing years ago and it made the club look bad.

Political banners of any kind should be banned at all LOI grounds.
We need to cut out the possibility of head the balls like this latching on to clubs;
http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments" rel="nofollow - http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Part of the enjoyment of going to football matches is to get away from constant streams of sh*te about fracking or water bills.
The only banners inside football grounds should be football related.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

We need to cut out the possibility of head the balls like this latching on to clubs;
http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments" rel="nofollow - http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Part of the enjoyment of going to football matches is to get away from constant streams of sh*te about fracking or water bills.

Fully agree, politics only divides supporters. There could have been 500 people at that match that were pro life.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Green Man
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 4:58pm

http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments - http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Fully agree, politics only divides supporters. There could have been 500 people at that match that were pro life.

I totally agree fellas, I really think Politics have no place in football and it really divides people. I've seen some of the antics of that headbanger in Galway, he was on Liveline and pulled stunts in NUIG etc , really damages the rep of Galway and clubs when people like this become spokesmen for the fans. I dont think the LOI has the fanbase to be dividing people like that and giving people more reason not to attend games.

Only ask cos Im looking into team to follow (dont have one locally) and want to be aware of what Im getting into. I dont want to associate with people like that or the ANTIFA crowd (if they are big at Bohs??), if these guys call the shots in fanbases it wouldnt be for me. I dont believe they do for the most part but no harm looking into these things. Would probably be a Dublin side Id be looking at as its easiest to get to for me but just interesting to find out in general if its a big thing, I looked online and there wasnt much info.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 11:43pm
The only clubs in Ireland that try bring politics into sport are Derry, Sligo and Bohs. Support Rovers, that will annoy Bohs.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 11:49pm

The only clubs in Ireland that try bring politics into sport are Derry, Sligo and Bohs. Support Rovers, that will annoy Bohs.

Sligo? Elaborate....
I've been going to games for a few years now and I've never seen anything political from our fans.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:15am

Sligo? Elaborate....
I've been going to games for a few years now and I've never seen anything political from our fans.

Are they still at the AFA stuff? Are they not political? There's a difference between them and anti racism.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:18am

Sligo? Elaborate....

Are they still at the AFA stuff? Are they not political? There's a difference between them and anti racism.

https://m.facebook.com/arnireland/posts/558034670885196" rel="nofollow - https://m.facebook.com/arnireland/posts/558034670885196

This is all I can remember. Don't remember it being a major cause or anything. In fairness it was a very sad Irish case.

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments - http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

I totally agree fellas, I really think Politics have no place in football and it really divides people. I've seen some of the antics of that headbanger in Galway, he was on Liveline and pulled stunts in NUIG etc , really damages the rep of Galway and clubs when people like this become spokesmen for the fans. I dont think the LOI has the fanbase to be dividing people like that and giving people more reason not to attend games.

Only ask cos Im looking into team to follow (dont have one locally) and want to be aware of what Im getting into. I dont want to associate with people like that or the ANTIFA crowd (if they are big at Bohs??), if these guys call the shots in fanbases it wouldnt be for me. I dont believe they do for the most part but no harm looking into these things. Would probably be a Dublin side Id be looking at as its easiest to get to for me but just interesting to find out in general if its a big thing, I looked online and there wasnt much info.

Support your closest. I was in the same boat, obviously being from the North its abit different for some reason every Ireland football fan up here supports Cliftonville.. yet they play in the IFA LOL Dundalk is the nearest for me an hours drive from my hometown. Barely get to a game, but at least I've a LOI club more then can said for a majority of Irish football fans.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: RKBarmyArmy
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:09am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Derry, Cork, Pats, Rovers and Galway have always had left leaning fan groups, Derry and Rovers also very Republican. Bohs have rebranded as lefty hipster after 120 conservative and right wing years.

Dont be lobbing Cork in with those crustys, we have no left leaning fan groups. If someone tried to get political left or right in Turners Cross they would be told where to go fairly snappish. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:08am
No LOI club has a massive need to be anything but a local football club. I am a lefty and look for lefty teams, but I leave that at the door at Turners Cross. If you want to follow a team based on political pride I suggest you f**k off to Hamburg or Glasgow, if you want to follow one based on the very essence of the LOI, then I would suggest you get down to your local one and be proud of where you are from.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 3:10pm
Wasn't there a gang of Nazi's in the Brandywell a few years ago?

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:43am
I follow politics keenly "Green Man" but I leave it on the far side of the turnstile when I enter a football ground. I would disagree with my fellow Hoop "RTID" that Shamrock Rovers is a Republican club. It`s not. Unlike Glasgow Celtic, we don`t play on the island of Britain and it`s been 100 years since we`ve lived under the Crown.

There`s an element of Rovers fans who confuse our club for some kind of poor man`s Celtic. But we`re Dubs and identify more with the LOI than a far-off SPL. I can`t speak for Derry fans but I`m sure a lot of them would be Republican, based on the vibe I got from visiting the Brandywell over the years. All I can say is that there`s one Hoops in Ireland and it`s Rovers, not Celtic

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Posted By: 1980
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:45am
Shamrock Rovers and Bohs are the only two grounds i've seen banners relating to Politics/Current affairs. Unlike Celtic though SRFC don't chase the Green Euro and concentrate on what they are: A Tallaght/Dublin/Irish Club.

(Awaits "Bitter" comment from Horsebox)

Doesn't really seem to turn up anywhere else.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

I follow politics keenly "Green Man" but I leave it on the far side of the turnstile when I enter a football ground. I would disagree with my fellow Hoop "RTID" that Shamrock Rovers is a Republican club. It`s not. Unlike Glasgow Celtic, we don`t play on the island of Britain and it`s been 100 years since we`ve lived under the Crown.

There`s an element of Rovers fans who confuse our club for some kind of poor man`s Celtic. But we`re Dubs and identify more with the LOI than a far-off SPL. I can`t speak for Derry fans but I`m sure a lot of them would be Republican, based on the vibe I got from visiting the Brandywell over the years. All I can say is that there`s one Hoops in Ireland and it`s Rovers, not Celtic
with the greatest of respect, you have proven over a period of time that you know hee haw about the ins and outs of Rovers. The above makes absolutely no sense. What have Celtic got to do with it? There are no Republicans down South post partition?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:12pm
There was a fella telling me that Monaghan United rented out their pitch back in the 80s to the IRA for use as a firing range 

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

There was a fella telling me that Monaghan United rented out their pitch back in the 80s to the IRA for use as a firing range 
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Our pitch back in the 80s was Belgium Park. You could walk in there any time of the day or night 7 days a week virtually. It was in full view of the N2 road, and overlooked on 3 sides by housing/traffic. I think that the IRA, if they were into renting firing ranges would have opted for somewhere else than such a site some 500m from a Garda Station to start letting rounds off

Posted By: Twoinarow
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 4:47pm

Rovers republican??? Is that why your fans marched through Dundalk singing "Free State Bastards"

-------------
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Rovers republican??? Is that why your fans marched through Dundalk singing "Free State Bastards"

They are definately left leaning alright. 

I was out in Cuba for my holidays a few years back, and i got talking to the barman, and he was saying Fidel Castro is a huge Rovers fan. Says he can't to much games but keeps his eye on livescore and extratime.ie to see how they're getting on.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

They are definately left leaning alright. 

I was out in Cuba for my holidays a few years back, and i got talking to the barman, and he was saying Fidel Castro is a huge Rovers fan. Says he can't to much games but keeps his eye on livescore and extratime.ie to see how they're getting on.

Ffs

-------------

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 1:41am
Tbh "Green Man", LOI clubs are not defined by political leanings. Apart from Derry, who operate in a completely different environment, the rivalry between Southern clubs is based more on geographical location than any sectarian divide.

We`d have a few designer republicans among our fanbase who are really Bhoys at heart. And when they start singing a Millwall terrace chant of the 1980`s you quickly know they`re just that - designer republicans - and poles apart from Derry and Cliftonville fans on the republican front. They`ll bleat about post-partition but the vast majority of Rovers fans couldn`t be arsed about early 20th century history.   

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:33pm

Correct

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:46am

Posted By: EastStandMan
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:09pm
Its the understated way in which the lad assassinates his victims gives me a laugh . Like a cold blooded hit man from a mafia movie . Gots to admire the hoor ...............sometimes . 

-------------
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 10:36am
Cork fans singing IRA songs in Windsor

A Truely Republican club 😊

-------------

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 11:16am

There was a few Cliftonville lads in but even they weren't signing ira songs. To which song are you referring? My money's on bullsh*t

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

There was a few Cliftonville lads in but even they weren't signing ira songs. To which song are you referring? My money's on bullsh*t

Wind up mate and u bite

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Wind up mate and u bite
Hard to tell with you considering all you post is drivel

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 3:19pm
Cork City Fans behaved brilliantly at windsor last night if you are refering to the cork city version of the fields of anthenry that appears on twitter "sinn fein" is replaced by "city" and "ira" is replaced by "turners cross" As far as league of ireland clubs go CCFC actually deal with trouble makers.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: 1tombo
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:55pm
Throwing glass bottles at innocent celtic fans for celebrating a goal is what we need to fix before political opinions. Rovers have a history of being scum.

Posted By: Irishfootbalfan90
Date Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:36am
I know it's a very old thread that somebody created but I didn't want to make a new one. 

Lately you can notice loads of political movement arround League of Ireland. The lgbt for example is there a need for it? I never seen anyone being discriminated because of their sexuality as a player or a fan at the gate etc. Everyone has a right to do whatever she/he wants.

Do proper fans I mean ultras are accepting it? Or they don't mind that political movement is getting into football?

Secondly when you go to Bohs or Rovers stadium you see stickers, wall writings etc of "Love football hate racism" or "Love Rovers hate racism"  are these football fans connected with the movement ''antifa"?

I think stadium should be all about football doing this political campaigns when there is no problem whatsovere in our stadiums as Ireland is a very tolerant country doesn't make any sense. It's dissappointing for me because when I go to watch a football match all I want to see is football not the outside the football matters.

Again as I said, Irish people are neither homofobic or neither racist so I don't understand this at all..

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Irishfootbalfan90 Irishfootbalfan90 wrote:

I know it's a very old thread that somebody created but I didn't want to make a new one. 

Lately you can notice loads of political movement arround League of Ireland. The lgbt for example is there a need for it? I never seen anyone being discriminated because of their sexuality as a player or a fan at the gate etc. Everyone has a right to do whatever she/he wants.

Do proper fans I mean ultras are accepting it? Or they don't mind that political movement is getting into football?

Secondly when you go to Bohs or Rovers stadium you see stickers, wall writings etc of "Love football hate racism" or "Love Rovers hate racism"  are these football fans connected with the movement ''antifa"?

I think stadium should be all about football doing this political campaigns when there is no problem whatsovere in our stadiums as Ireland is a very tolerant country doesn't make any sense. It's dissappointing for me because when I go to watch a football match all I want to see is football not the outside the football matters.

Again as I said, Irish people are neither homofobic or neither racist so I don't understand this at all..

Funny time to say that after the events of last week

Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Irishfootbalfan90 Irishfootbalfan90 wrote:

Funny time to say that after the events of last week
Indeed, racist marches in various locations for months now, and semi regular homophobic attacks. 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 5:46pm
I reckon irishfootballfan90 likes to hang around industrial estates in Santry shouting at van drivers.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:49pm
My thoughts exactly.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 7:00pm
If people have a problem with campaigns like that, it demonstrates exactly why they're needed.

Also, being anti homophobic and anti racist isn't a political leaning 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 22 May 2023 at 7:34pm
Interestingly, this thread was established two days after the Brexit referendum. Much water has passed under the bridge since then, with people becoming more overtly political, albeit in a more tribal sense. I suspect this has influenced section of LOI support and the clubs in the meantime. They are just moving with the times, and society's mores and values. Historically, I would have thought the majority of teams were apolitical, even though there would be supporters of those clubs that would be strongly political.

Totally agree with nvidic that specific campaigns in football, like anti-racism platforms and policies are not political.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:01am
The same f*ckwits walking around with Celtic tops on. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:08am
Bohs are unionists.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Bohs are unionists.
Oh just f**king stop you twat

-------------
No Pasaran!

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:42am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Bohs are unionists.
Oh just f**king stop you twat

Are you anti-Unionist now? Unionists are people to!

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:10am
Dermot Desmond who bank rolls shamrock Rovers is a huge FF Supporter .

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:25am
As a straight white guy, I can confirm Ireland is not a racist or homophobic country as I've never had abuse aimed towards me.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net