Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54180
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 9:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Additional Midfield Options
Posted By: Dugs
Subject: Additional Midfield Options
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:59am
so from next season on we have Arter to come back in. Plus if Jack Byrne seals his move to Blackburn id expect him to play regularly. There is already Darragh Lenihan at Blackburn, got some game time last year under Lambert. Hourihane will be playing championship football with Barnsley(could possibly move to another championship side). Possibly O'Dowda if he plays well enough or he could also potentially get a move. And there is also Alan Judge to come back into contention. All good options hopefully along with the players already there. If only we had a few promising young strikers coming through we'd be laughing...Clap

Replies:
Posted By: rebelbrowser
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:09pm
Alan Browne at Preston too....

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 3:07pm
Don't kill me for saying this but apart from Arter the players you are excited about are all championship players, add duffy, keogh, Brady, Hendrick and Murphy from the starting lineup the other night we have a lot of players playing at a low level. A few years ago the argument was we did not have enough players competing in the champions league now the argument is we don't have enough in the premier league which is very worrying.

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:05pm
Alan Browne of Preston too.....Josh Cullen might progress even further next year..Had a good loan spell at Bradford last season

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:07pm
I'd suspect Josh Cullen will at a championship club next season.

I'd love a few more guts to try and play in an EU country ie Germany or France/Spain.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:08pm
browne   byrne  okane  hourihane  d lenihan  and arter  maybe that odowda and  crowley

doherty as left back or right back  and that  williams fellow at bristol city can be the new delaney

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:31pm
Its the striking options that worry me. Keane should retire, and Murphy seems like goals just won't come for him on the international stage. This leaves us currently with Shane Long, and an ageing and increasingly injured Jon Walters. Anthony Stokes' move to Blackburn is a sound one, but he will need to knuckle down, and play well in a savage Championship this season. Kevin Doyle looks like he is out of consideration, while David McGoldrick seems to be more suited to playing off the strikers.

With Arter, O'Kane, Judge, and Pilkington all available, and if Gibson can force his way into Koeman's plans at Everton we should be ok from a midfield point of view. Naturally, I want Brady, Hendrick, and Wes to get PL moves, as they need to be playing PL, while Whelan and McCarthy need to keep starting for their respective Clubs. Im also hopeful that a PL team might take a punt on McGeady. Just a shame Judge's injury prevented that from happening to him.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Don't kill me for saying this but apart from Arter the players you are excited about are all championship players, add duffy, keogh, Brady, Hendrick and Murphy from the starting lineup the other night we have a lot of players playing at a low level. A few years ago the argument was we did not have enough players competing in the champions league now the argument is we don't have enough in the premier league which is very worrying.

Alan Judge could definitely play in the PL and if he didn't break his leg, I've no doubt some clubs would have been in for him over the summer.

Brady is Premiership class which isn't in doubt even if he spends a year in the Championship.

Hendrick is a Premiership player in the making and if Derby are prepared to sell for a reasonable price, he may get his move.

I wouldn't worry about Keogh or Duffy, we've always had players who were lining out in Englands second tier, not to forget both of those would be in the higher tier of defender in the division unlike an Alex Pearce or a Paul McShane.

This is the first time in a long we should be positive with what's coming through or whats in and around the squad. You've Pilkington, McGoldrick, O'Kane, Gibson, Mason, Hogan etc all on the fringes of the squad as genuine options attacking and midfield. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:09am
Just to add to GDs point. We've some bloody excellent goalkeepers also, Rob Elliot, Randolph, Westwood could start week in week out for a lot of PL sides. Below that we've Danny Rogers. Henderson and young defenders like Toner who hopefully gets a chance to shine now in the championship.

And we've left out our next big star, Callum O'Dowda what a player we have in our set up. Will go above and beyond anything Jack Grealish will ever accomplish.

Hopefully we nick Bamford he'd be super to have with Hogan coming into the set up as two new young youthful strikers.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:23am
Keepers.

1.Westwood
2.Randolph
3.Elliott
4.Henderson

Defenders
1.Coleman
2.Ward
3.Christie
4.Wilson
5.Duffy
6.Keogh
7.Clark
8.McShane
9.Doherty
10.Cunningham

Midfielders
1.McCarthy
2.Whelan
3.Brady
4.Hoolihan
5.Judge
6.Hendrick
7.Arter
8.Quinn
9.McGeady
10.McClean.
11.O'Kane
12.Meyler
13.Gibson
14.Pilkington

Forwards
1.Long
2.Walters
3.Stokes
4.Murphy
5.McGoldrick

I think they are the primary players who will be in MON's line of vision.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:29am
Think/hope we'll end up getting Bamford while his stock is low - in the next 12 months anyway. That would give us a solid option for the foreseeable future.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:37am
Nathan Redmond is an interesting one, publically announced he'd be interested in representing ourselves or Jamica.. He's now in the championship, it's time we start snapping the heals of these guys. Although Redmond would be a tough one, having Martin O'Neill and Keane will always be a pull factor though. If you look at Redmonds Twitter which he uses daily when we win he'll always pass comment, maybe there is hope.

Bamford is a must in my opinion, he'll eventually settle in the PL and bang them in just hasn't found the right club. He should never of left Boro..

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:39am
Id love to get Bamford and Redmond.

Funnily enough, I feel Norwich were relegated in spite of them, along with Hoolahan and Brady.

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:42am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Nathan Redmond is an interesting one, publically announced he'd be interested in representing ourselves or Jamica.. He's now in the championship, it's time we start snapping the heals of these guys. Although Redmond would be a tough one, having Martin O'Neill and Keane will always be a pull factor though. If you look at Redmonds Twitter which he uses daily when we win he'll always pass comment, maybe there is hope.

Bamford is a must in my opinion, he'll eventually settle in the PL and bang them in just hasn't found the right club. He should never of left Boro..

Not sure if youve purposely ignored what these players have said. Both redmond and bamford have said they want to play for england. Both these players are 22 and one is currently with chelsea while another is being strongly linked with southampton. I cant see either of them even considering ireland until 
a) they are 24/25
b) they quickly fall down the leagues
c) ireland suddenly become a footballing powerhouse

It alright to say we should be "snapping at the heals of these guys" but the reality is they dont want to play for us until they see 0% chance left with england

"Bamford is a must in my opinion, he'll eventually settle in the PL and bang them in just hasn't found the right club."

Im pretty sure he thinks this about himself as well which is why would he commit to ireland when he could play for england once he settles at a PL team

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:50am
Bamford will go to the Championship, has flopped at Norwhich and Palace in the PL so far another bad move could be awful for his career. Bamford may well come good when he's 26/27, it's upto the FAI and MON to convince the guy Ireland is the place for him to place his football at get him to sit down with Aldridge, Keogh, Walters, Christie all English born. Right now and next season Bamford has no England career, he also said he'd play for Ireland. He didn't come out and say 'Here listen I'm never playing for Ireland'. It's upto the FAI and management like we always did to convince such players their future lie in a green jersey and performing at major tournaments with a high profile management set up strengthens our case.

Now Redmond has also said he'd play for Ireland or Jamica, if he had no future with England. Englands team is very young there isn't a lot of places up for grabs. Southampton don't have a manager, I'll wait till they have a manger before I look at their transfer rumours. He's currently in the championship and it's hard to see him getting in the current England set up before Russia, at least. 'So when the time hopefully comes to play international football, I’ll have to decide [between England, Jamaica and the Republic of Ireland' oh and him and Robbie Brady are close pals.

Will Keane totally closed the door, Grealish the same these two haven't.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Coleman esque
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:58am

Redmond is on the verge of joining Southampton..

And someone mentioned young Kev Toner above, unfortunately Villa have signed Tommy Elpick from Bournemouth so there goes Toner's chances next season

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:02am
This thread is very interesting though, I like it

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Coleman esque Coleman esque wrote:

And someone mentioned young Kev Toner above, unfortunately Villa have signed Tommy Elpick from Bournemouth so there goes Toner's chances next season

I just seen the story.. 11m.

How do you know that? Clark will be sold, Richards/Lescott the same id suspect due to their wages. If not you'd imagine he'll be loaned out to a championship club.

I'm also hoping we pinch young Lavery from Everton, great one for the future if he can keep it up.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:04am
And Redmond has no interest in playing for us anyway judging by this tweet https://twitter.com/nathanredmond22/status/743473334835380224" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/nathanredmond22/status/743473334835380224

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:07am

And Redmond has no interest in playing for us anyway judging by this tweet https://twitter.com/nathanredmond22/status/743473334835380224" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/nathanredmond22/status/743473334835380224

I seen that earlier

Redmond was always at a push, as I said.

Bamford should be our priority, before he starts banging goals in for fun again. Scott Hogan and himself would be fantastic additions for Russia replacing Doyle, Murphy etc although I'd say Mason is more suited to the hoof it up approach Murphy gives us.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:07am

I just seen the story.. 11m.

How do you know that? Clark will be sold, Richards/Lescott the same id suspect due to their wages. If not you'd imagine he'll be loaned out to a championship club.

I'm also hoping we pinch young Lavery from Everton, great one for the future if he can keep it up.
Agreed that Lavery is a top prospect tbf.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:08am

I seen that earlier

Redmond was always at a push, as I said.

Bamford should be our priority, before he starts banging goals in for fun again. Scott Hogan and himself would be fantastic additions for Russia replacing Doyle, Murphy etc although I'd say Mason is more suited to the hoof it up approach Murphy gives us.
Let's hope that goal machine Ronan Hale breaks through at Birmingham next season. Eoghan Stokes at Leeds too!

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:11am
"If England do well I might watch an England game or if we're away and it's on. I can't see myself getting too many games."

Heres a nice quote from scott hogan just before the euros. Will be intersting to see his response to a call up should he get one for the next matches.

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

"<span style="color: rgb73, 73, 73; font-family: "PT Sans", sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px;">If England do well I might watch an England game or if we're away and it's on. I can't see myself getting too many games."</span>
<span style="color: rgb73, 73, 73; font-family: "PT Sans", sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px;">
</span>
[COLOR=#494949" face="PT Sans, sans-serif]<span style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px;]Heres a nice quote from scott hogan just before the euros. Will be intersting to see his response to a call up should he get one for the next matches.</span>[/COLOR]
interesting tweet from him here too https://twitter.com/scotthogan92/status/426396187651235840" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/scotthogan92/status/426396187651235840

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:16am
Scott Hogan will be called up during this campaign it goes without saying, I live in Brentford the locals expect the lad to lead the line next season he looks like he's about to live up to his potential.

Here's another quote '
Then there is the Ireland thing, which again is a surprise. Roy Keane was at Huddersfield on Saturday apparently and if Roy Keane rang me up, I couldn’t say no to Roy Keane. He is one of my heroes.

I don't give a toss about him saying he'll see any England game during the Euros tbh. If he scores v Serbia/Wales/Austria no one will care.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:21am
We have to face a reality here. Bamford/Hogan don't currently feel Irish, it goes without saying.. Clinton Morrison didn't either until he arrived and seen the place, experienced what it means to wear a green jersey and how much it means to people like us.

Cyrus Christie had never been in Dublin until last year, couldn't pronounce Clontarf fs I bet he loves every moment of it now. Ideally we produce lads in Ireland and then we get the likes of O'Dowda and Walters/Keogh/Kilbane who are Irish despite their accent, but we also need guys who well aren't Irish but they embrace our culture and learn to love it and come the day they retire from a green jersey it's the best moments of their career.

Look how we got McGoldrick, he'd never even met his birth mother never mind her parents. But he wears the Green and he's done well when asked.. our strike force is aging and come Russia we do need reinforcements.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:27am

We have to face a reality here. Bamford/Hogan don't currently feel Irish, it goes without saying.. Clinton Morrison didn't either until he arrived and seen the place, experienced what it means to wear a green jersey and how much it means to people like us.

Cyrus Christie had never been in Dublin until last year, couldn't pronounce Clontarf fs I bet he loves every moment of it now. Ideally we produce lads in Ireland and then we get the likes of O'Dowda and Walters/Keogh/Kilbane who are Irish despite their accent, but we also need guys who well aren't Irish but they embrace our culture and learn to love it and come the day they retire from a green jersey it's the best moments of their career.

Completely agree. I'm just saying, if I was English and my maternal gran was Irish, I still wouldn't feel Irish one bit I'd imagine. But say if both my parents were Irish or at least one of them I think you'd have a better sense of Irishness. It's obviously hard for players with just one Irish grandparent to feel Irish you know, goes without saying...

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:35am

Completely agree. I'm just saying, if I was English and my maternal gran was Irish, I still wouldn't feel Irish one bit I'd imagine. But say if both my parents were Irish or at least one of them I think you'd have a better sense of Irishness. It's obviously hard for players with just one Irish grandparent to feel Irish you know, goes without saying...

Exactly it's different if one of your parents is Irish you Defiently get a feel for the culture through playing GAA, music and watching nights like we experienced v Italy this week. Unless you're close to your grandparent it's different, the best we can hope for is players initially see it as a career move and hopefully along the way fall in love with it and are proud to call themselves Irish. I seen Clinton Morrison referring to himself as Irish after Mick convinced him, the list goes on..you'd be amazed how many fellas/women with deep London accents or anywhere else for that matter call themselves Irish, it's truly astonishing.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 11:54am

I get your point, but Clinton Morrison was always very proud of his Irish heritage. Same with a lot of people in London with Irish and Caribbean backgrounds.

Bamford seems like a smart lad though. Sure he'd appreciate the value of an Irish passport right now

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 2:16pm

That's not confirmation of anything really.....Ciaran Clarke played for England at an u20's Championship I bet he celebrated their wins in the same fashion there......I'd wager alot of the England players were watching and cheered on Ireland's goal against Italy......none of it mean anything

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 2:35pm
Dan crowley be a great coup if we could pull that off

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Dan crowley be a great coup if we could pull that off

100% Crowley would be a fantastic one. He's aware of his irish routes that's for sure, there's a picture of himself and his younger brother with the brother wearing an Ireland top.

Bamford does seem an intelligent fella alright, he'd be my main target right now.. We've a number of midfielders we're crying out for strikers. Bamford and Hogan would be nice options to have.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:35pm
We were on about Redmond last night on here.
He's just signed for Southampton, wouldn't be surprised to see Brady go there as Mane will join Liverpool

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net