Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54157
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 2:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Drunken Idoits
Posted By: damo21
Subject: Drunken Idoits
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 2:05am
I do not care what people say about us but let's face. It there are without doubt a lot of drunken fools over here in France without a f**kin clue about football, pricks , what do you think ?

-------------
he who lies down with the dog will come up with fleas

Replies:
Posted By: Dhudson485
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 2:09am
I think ur right lad, on a more serious note.... Any tickets for the game?????

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:54am
100%
I' met a friend in Paris who I'd hadn't seen in years, never remember him going to any type of football match either over for the as long as we're in it. I was gob smacked.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:56am
Originally posted by damo21 damo21 wrote:

I do not care what people say about us but let's face. It there are without doubt a lot of drunken fools over here in France without a f**kin clue about football, pricks , what do you think ?

Go to sleep.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 7:50am
Best just stick to your own friends and let the drunks keep to their own .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:19am
Some of them are more interested in rocking a baby to sleep on a train than Ireland winning a match

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Best just stick to your own friends and let the drunks keep to their own .

What happens if your friends are drunk :)

Although no chance of your mates getting drunk as none buy a pint :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Some of them are more interested in rocking a baby to sleep on a train than Ireland winning a match

How are these these two unconnected things in competition.

Fans have little impact on result of the game other than creating atmosphere on the stadium. Behaviour in pubs and trains is irrelevant to the game but good behaviour is good to see.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: eire28
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:34am
No problem with drunken lads over for the laugh as long as they don't do the bouncy, sing ten German bombers, or any other behaviour that dilutes or image as supporters. 

I thought that video of the fans signing a baby to sleep was hilarious. Also the video of the guy with the horse mask kicking the ball in a window was exceptional. 

Aside from some cringy self praise stuff, we've been a credit to our mammies and the Irish public in general! Clap

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:38am
Posting at 2 in the morning and spelling 'idiot' wrong...........

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

How are these these two unconnected things in competition.

Fans have little impact on result of the game other than creating atmosphere on the stadium. Behaviour in pubs and trains is irrelevant to the game but good behaviour is good to see.

It was a joke.
It was a feeling I got when over there, it was more like an Oxegen crowd. I got the feeling a lot of them couldn't give two fooks about the football.

Posted By: johnp30133
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Could it be French?

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:55am
Originally posted by johnp30133 johnp30133 wrote:

Could it be French?

Defo French.

-------------

Posted By: johnp30133
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:57am

Could it be French?

Defo French.

Posted By: Portal
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:04am
I don't do the Irish pub thing at away matches but in my experience the number of drunk messers at the actual matches is far less than in Poland.

-------------
The mole, my hole - Just Saying Like

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:28am

Could it be French?

Defo French.

LOL Fair play, Damo. Hope the hangover isn't too bad!

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:31am
One of our own threw an empty bottle of beer high into the crowd outside O'Scotland last night and smashed a French guys face in. He had a cut and black eye.
The lowest I've ever felt at an away game.
Some savages on this trip.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

One of our own threw an empty bottle of beer high into the crowd outside O'Scotland last night and smashed a French guys face in. He had a cut and black eye.
Stupid prick......sadly, always on the cards with some of the neds over there.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

F*cking scumbag. Dead

Bet that won't be going viral amongst the f*ckwit community on Facebook and Joe.ie.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by eire28 eire28 wrote:

No problem with drunken lads over for the laugh as long as they don't do the bouncy, sing ten German bombers, or any other behaviour that dilutes or image as supporters. 

I thought that video of the fans signing a baby to sleep was hilarious. Also the video of the guy with the horse mask kicking the ball in a window was exceptional. 

Aside from some cringy self praise stuff, we've been a credit to our mammies and the Irish public in general! Clap

Agreed here, their behaviour has been very good.

It's almost as if they know they are ambassadors for their country while they are abroad. This an area where the English fans often fall down (including the ones who are not rioting) - not really caring what the locals think of them or showing much respect to their local customs.

Posted By: Pendlebury07
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:30pm
Its a tough one really. I can see both sides to be honest. I'm an Irish fan & season ticket holder and losing to Belgium really got me down. Football first & foremost.

I was in the fan zone and the mood certainly dipped for a while. Met a few over there who were honest in saying they weren't there for the football but the craic and they were nothing but decent to us, even spotted us a few bottles on the train to Bordeuax. 

If it was the case that lads went over and caused bother I might feel differently, I dont think it'll be the same story if we get to Russia! 

-------------
Danger Here!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:43pm
Pendlebury!? You from Clon?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yup, living in Dublin! Brother is still in Clon.

-------------
Danger Here!

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:05pm
Without going into a sob story, I couldn't make the Euros. People who can go should enjoy themselves. There will always be those there for the piss.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Pendlebury07 Pendlebury07 wrote:

Know your brother well!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:11pm

Know your brother well!

So who are you when your at home? Brother curious out now LOL

-------------
Danger Here!

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:52pm

Could it be French?

Defo French.

LOL Fair play, Damo. Hope the hangover isn't too bad!

Grand thanks for asking.

-------------

Posted By: muscles
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 2:37pm

If it was the case that lads went over and caused bother I might feel differently, I dont think it'll be the same story if we get to Russia! 

I hope the scumbags do go to Russia. Wink I also met a couple of lads from home in Paris, neither been at an international before but so f**king what? they were having a good time and in fact were a bit blown away by the atmosphere and general crack.

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:16pm
Whats the craic with ****s singing the kolo toure song

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

I know.

Picking up some random Uncle Tom and signing to them.

Surely this is racist ?

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:28pm
First video I saw of it was slightly amusing
When I saw the second one first thing i thought was, this is racist, are they just singing this to every black man that they see now?

Some of them would sing anything, like a darts crowd.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

I'm not so sure. They certainly seem to be well meaning when they do it, there's no malice behind it or suggestion that they're mocking the man they're doing it with (it's meant to be a song of praise after all)

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

I'm not so sure. They certainly seem to be well meaning when they do it, there's no malice behind it or suggestion that they're mocking the man they're doing it with (it's meant to be a song of praise after all)

Would you be offended if you were picked up in Ghana and they sang Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Neville. Philo oh oh Philo oh oh Philo Neville? 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:21pm
Of course you would. It's the f**king Neville brothers

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:31pm
If people want to travel for the craic then I have no problem with that. I have gone to a GAA match and a couple of rallies just for the beer even though I have no interest in them.

The only time it becomes a problem for me is when real football fans can't get tickets for games over the people who mainly go for the crack.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

If people want to travel for the craic then I have no problem with that. I have gone to a GAA match and a couple of rallies just for the beer even though I have no interest in them.

The only time it becomes a problem for me is when real football fans can't get tickets for games over the people who mainly go for the crack.

Genuine question, what is a "real football fan?" Its so unascertainable in many respects, and at the highest level, it eliminates anybody who is not a National League, and International Season Ticket Holder. Equally, there are those who don't attend games (for numerous reasons), but are incredibly active at grass roots level, be it with the clubs or in administration. They support football in a different way. But that is a very small number, which can potentially be vaulted by balloting sensibly, or utilising package deals.

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Genuine question, what is a "real football fan?" Its so unascertainable in many respects, and at the highest level, it eliminates anybody who is not a National League, and International Season Ticket Holder. Equally, there are those who don't attend games (for numerous reasons), but are incredibly active at grass roots level, be it with the clubs or in administration. They support football in a different way. But that is a very small number, which can potentially be vaulted by balloting sensibly, or utilising package deals.

Merely suggesting that there should be a proper system to allocate tickets based on previous record as they have with any modern sporting organisation. At the moment there's a lot of ticket's that fall into dubious hands, I saw a few lads with FAI tickets that has been sold to them over the odds by the people they had been awarded too. Reported every person after the game, maybe they'll do nothing but at least I tried.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

Would you be offended if you were picked up in Ghana and they sang Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Neville. Philo oh oh Philo oh oh Philo Neville? 

If they were all smiling and happy, I wouldn't interpret it as a hostile or 'racist' gesture at all

Posted By: Skipper
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:38pm
Get drunken idiots everywhere even in town on a Wednesday ..... Some people go to the euros just to get smashed.

Thing I hate is when you see lads who are sloppy falling into a table where locals are having a meal or going up to an elderly couple who are having lunch and trying to get high fives off them when they just want to be left alone.

It's annoying and a tad embarrassing but being drunk sloppy and loud still beats smashing up a pub or coffee shop

Posted By: Skipper
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

If they were all smiling and happy, I wouldn't interpret it as a hostile or 'racist' gesture at all

Young lad of Asian background at a dubs game and the chat jayo jayo jayo (Sherlock) rang out.....not racist just banter. I look Eastern European and wouldn't find it offensive if people in France pretended I was Russian and hid their chairs from me.   

Check it out : https://i1.wp.com/theshake.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/offended.jpg" rel="nofollow - https://i1.wp.com/theshake.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/offended.jpg

-------------
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:54pm
The simply fact is the majority of regular match day goers are there to be seen and not heard outside of the footballing side of things. I.E. not causing trouble or acting the pup.

I had my hotels, match tickets etc all sorted for the Euro's but unfortunately I couldn't go due to a high work load (such is life) yeah sure I'm jealous I couldn't go to France, don't begrudge anyone there whether they're regulars or bandwagoners. 

But don't tell me "we're the best fans in the world" because we're nowhere near it, a couple of blokes picking up rubbish or singing to a woman is all well and good for the camera, but where the hell will these be on a cold night in November when we've a friendly against Latvia or Estonia?

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
Irish people are the biggest bunch of bandwagon jumpers around. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Irish people are the biggest bunch of bandwagon jumpers around. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Ah yea but we are sound great craic and everyone loves us

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 8:11pm
A special word of praise to the lad in Smile nightclub in Lille in a jersey with 'HOULAHAN' on the backClap

-------------

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 9:56pm

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

Embarrassing every single time

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:14pm

A special word of praise to the lad in Smile nightclub in Lille in a jersey with 'HOULAHAN' on the backClap

What were you doing in a nightclub? Wink

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:23pm
Lads, we've all acted foolishly and done stupid sh*t when we were young . You learn from it . I agree it's a bit annoying but for most of these lads it's their first time at the rodeo ! We are all just getting that but older ! I'd rather them be there than not .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Lads, we've all acted foolishly and done stupid sh*t when we were young . You learn from it . I agree it's a bit annoying but for most of these lads it's their first time at the rodeo ! We are all just getting that but older ! I'd rather them be there than not .
fair play BB i think you have it in one .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:40pm
As long as they don't get tickets over away trip regulars, I don't mind them as long as they stay out trouble. Who knows, maybe they will get the supporting our national team bug and frequent Lansdowne more often. I for one could count on 2 hands the amount of times I'd been in Lansdowne prior to the WC '10 qualifiers and I live in Dublin. Can't really explain why I stayed away for so long but my 1st away game was Paris '09 and swore I'd never miss a home or away game I was around for after it. Emigration has dictated I can't go anymore but it took a massive away game for me to start going regular and hopefully it'll rub off on some in France and we get Lansdowne rocking like it used to

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:04pm
Found myself using the phrase "Maybe I'm getting old" a number of times on this trip (I don't see myself as that old !) in relation to the conduct of some people. Definitely thought it was messier than Poland and say a few things that annoyed me : People robbing ice creams from a shop that was selling cans near Moulin Rouge, people happily singing and dancing away after we had just get beaten by Belgium. 

It's mostly all good natured and most enjoyable but some aspects of things do annoy me.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Found myself using the phrase "Maybe I'm getting old" a number of times on this trip (I don't see myself as that old !) in relation to the conduct of some people. Definitely thought it was messier than Poland and say a few things that annoyed me : People robbing ice creams from a shop that was selling cans near Moulin Rouge, people happily singing and dancing away after we had just get beaten by Belgium. 

It's mostly all good natured and most enjoyable but some aspects of things do annoy me.

100% agree that the carry on after Belgium bet us was a joke . Another thing was seeing lads slumped in the streets outside MC Donald's on that afternoon . Anyone who didn't have a ticket for Bordeaux were drinking all day non stop and it wasn't great to see their condition . Very somber mood for me for a few hours after . Each to their own but I think more genuine lads were a bit taken by the score line

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:42pm
With about 5 mins to go I left my seat in the belgium game and watched from the stairs as couldnt put up with the group in front of me jumping and singing as if we've won. Game really put me in a bad mood for a while after. A lack of sleep and a torturous journey home straight after probably added to it in fairness though. 

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:49pm
Be first to admit I have drank way way too much at away game previously but have deffo got older and wiser and appreciate it even more now

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:53pm
I was as gutted as anyone after the Belgium game but I decided I wasn't gonna wallow in self pity. We only lost a game of ball so I downed several pints back in La Rochelle and I'm glad I did.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Thedoc
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:04am
Came across this in the Irish Times Letters.
Greatest fans in the world?

Wed, Jun 22, 2016, 01:02 t

Sir, – These people are not fans; they are just holidaymakers. The football is incidental to these people, as proved by their celebrations in Bordeaux on Saturday night after getting spanked by Belgium. The excessive drinking and the interactions between these holidaymakers and locals has been embarrassing, not funny.

Media outlets are perpetuating this “greatest fans in the world” myth with idiotic stories and online videos. The fact is that these people know little or anything about the Irish team. Look at the amount of Irish people leaving the stadium early on Saturday against Belgium. We have met Irish fans in France who attend games home and away and who are the real fans but sadly they are in the minority, and have no voice in the media.

Will these people be in the Aviva come the World Cup qualifiers? I doubt it, and a part of me hopes they stay away.

Binge-drinking and idiotic behaviour are not pretty and have nothing to do with football.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:27am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I was as gutted as anyone after the Belgium game but I decided I wasn't gonna wallow in self pity. We only lost a game of ball so I downed several pints back in La Rochelle and I'm glad I did.

Spot on FW
We didn't share a pints in La Rochelle.....too many w**kers ......plus they had a newly elected mayor ( Ex Galway ) renowned to be a hard liner

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 1:23am

I understand the point you are making above and agree totally with the getting older and all the stuff we did when we were younger but even tonight in Lyon there a right few muppets about.

-------------

Posted By: Salmon of Knowledge
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 2:15am
Green Devil nailed it on previous page. Lots of Irish think they're great fans and travel in the hundreds of thousands if they think there's a bit of craic to be had, but how often has the aviva been sold out for the qualifiers in the past several years? It's fair to say that a substantial proportion of the "fans" over in France now don't regularly attend "normal" Ireland matches.

Also, the constant trying to be everybody's best friend act is cringeworthy. Cleaning up after a piss-up? Come on, that's all for show for the world media, "look how great we are"! When we all know those people would never in a million years do the same thing were they attending a match/concert/festival at home! Just comes across as a bit needy - a lot of our fans desperately crave the praise of the world media. Ok, it's better than smashing up the place and fighting with the local cops, but still cringe worthy all the same.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 7:22am
Theres always going to be a drunken element involved when you travel in such huge numbers as Ireland do.
That said I met some quality Irish fans and there was a massive goodwill to the Irish from the French.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: eamonn88
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 8:55am

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

oh the f'cking irony

I am sure he would be more offended at being called an Uncle Tom

Than some lads singing

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:37am
Was in london for the belgium game leaving back the campers as only went to france for a week, result totally broke my heart. Seen 1 of the party i was travelling with smiling like a cheshire cat. When i enquired why he was so happy. He showed me he had put a £1 on lukaku 3-0 at 145/1.Moral of the story is that some people just couldn't give a fudge, was angry for a while and then just accepted it that to some the result is secondary

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

Was in london for the belgium game leaving back the campers as only went to france for a week, result totally broke my heart. Seen 1 of the party i was travelling with smiling like a cheshire cat. When i enquired why he was so happy. He showed me he had put a £1 on lukaku 3-0 at 145/1.Moral of the story is that some people just couldn't give a fudge, was angry for a while and then just accepted it that to some the result is secondary

****. Would never bet against Ireland

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

What were you doing in a nightclub? Wink

I'm an alcoholic, it was five in the morning, it is all pretty self explanatory really!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by eamonn88 eamonn88 wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

oh the f'cking irony

Than some lads singing

Indeed.

There's a video of a young lad being carried for the Yaya song and he has his mobile out and is filming the fans and he clearly finds it hilarious

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 11:34am

Originally posted by eamonn88 eamonn88 wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

oh the f'cking irony

Than some lads singing

Indeed.

There's a video of a young lad being carried for the Yaya song and he has his mobile out and is filming the fans and he clearly finds it hilarious

He was interviewed after and said it more than made up for the lack of birthday cake last year.

-------------

Posted By: jpbb03
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:42pm
One of the thing I really accepted and appreciated on this trip was the atmosphere at the square in Lille.  Yes, the young lads got crazy, but overall the crowd was composed.  We just got our asses handed to us by Belgium.  The atmosphere was there, but very little singing, dancing, etc.  I appreciated that the fans knew where we stood in the group.  
It would have been half embarrassing if the square was full of chants and songs after what Belgium had done to us.  We saved everything for the stadium, which was perfect.  The best match of my life and I saw 94 vs Italy and 2002 vs Germany.   2016 in Lille is my fondest memory.

Posted By: jpbb03
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:43pm
by the way, next time, bring some green dye to make all the foundations flow green. That would have been class!!!!

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:51pm

Was that the sweatbox club we were in??

Posted By: orourkeda
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Thedoc Thedoc wrote:

Came across this in the Irish Times Letters.
Greatest fans in the world?

Wed, Jun 22, 2016, 01:02 t

Sir, – These people are not fans; they are just holidaymakers. The football is incidental to these people, as proved by their celebrations in Bordeaux on Saturday night after getting spanked by Belgium. The excessive drinking and the interactions between these holidaymakers and locals has been embarrassing, not funny.

Media outlets are perpetuating this “greatest fans in the world” myth with idiotic stories and online videos. The fact is that these people know little or anything about the Irish team. Look at the amount of Irish people leaving the stadium early on Saturday against Belgium. We have met Irish fans in France who attend games home and away and who are the real fans but sadly they are in the minority, and have no voice in the media.

Will these people be in the Aviva come the World Cup qualifiers? I doubt it, and a part of me hopes they stay away.

Binge-drinking and idiotic behaviour are not pretty and have nothing to do with football.

I thought it was just me who thought like this.

-------------
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:01pm
Only 27,000 at a crucial qualifier against Georgia. Would be great to have an atmosphere at all home games like the one created at the games in France.

Posted By: orourkeda
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

Only 27,000 at a crucial qualifier against Georgia. Would be great to have an atmosphere at all home games like the one created at the games in France.

That will never happen in a million years.

I hate to say it but we're not the best fans in the world.

I think a more accurate statement would be we are a well behaved set of fans when we turn out at tournaments. The best fans in the world would never leave their home stadium half full for a crucial qualifier.

-------------
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Was that the sweatbox club we were in??

Yeah, pretty sure that was the name of it

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:40pm

Was he an Armagh GAA fan?

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm

Was he an Armagh GAA fan?

Ireland home jersey

-------------

Posted By: JimboM34
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 4:59pm

Have to agree with this one.
In 2012 it was my first rodeo Tongue, had very little interest in Trapp but went for "the craic" in the camper anyway. Been to an awful lot of games since then and would have to say I think it was seeing the atmosphere over in Poland that got me hooked!

This time around was still mental but with being 4 years older (but not too much wiser) you were able to appreciate it a lot more. I'd be hoping that out of all the so called band wagoners at least a small percentage will now show up at the Aviva on a regular basis  

Posted By: ShaneH10
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 5:04pm
Does anyone know what happened to the car outside Kellys in Lyon the night of the France game? Walked past it about 9pm and saw it was closed and one of the staff saying they had to close because of the damage done to the car outside.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by JimboM34 JimboM34 wrote:

Have to agree with this one.
In 2012 it was my first rodeo Tongue, had very little interest in Trapp but went for "the craic" in the camper anyway. Been to an awful lot of games since then and would have to say I think it was seeing the atmosphere over in Poland that got me hooked!

This time around was still mental but with being 4 years older (but not too much wiser) you were able to appreciate it a lot more. I'd be hoping that out of all the so called band wagoners at least a small percentage will now show up at the Aviva on a regular basis  

I would expect attendances to definitely increase for the WC qualifiers. After Euro 88, we got a full house at Lansdowne for the four qualifiers, even Malta. The Euro qualifiers just gone always had an air of doubt or uncertainty hanging over them and a question of whether this current Irish squad were up to much and whether MON and Keano were the right men for the job.

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 6:35pm
I remember that match V Malta . Full house Indeed .

If we get off to a good start the crowds will be there . A good sign is when chancers on adverts.ie aren't selling premiem level tickets they got free off a suit somewhere

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by ShaneH10 ShaneH10 wrote:

Does anyone know what happened to the car outside Kellys in Lyon the night of the France game? Walked past it about 9pm and saw it was closed and one of the staff saying they had to close because of the damage done to the car outside.
Some drunken idiot fell from the scaffolding above it onto the car and when the cops showed up they told Kellys to close.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: HampshireDub
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm
Shame that.

The only thing I personally saw which I found utterly embarrassing was people pissing wherever they wanted.
Appreciate the French don't exactly go for toilets in a big way but I always made the effort of just popping into a bistro and asking.
Was only refused once.

I did meet a few clowns from Limerick the day of Belgium game who openly admitted they were only there for the craic. That's part and parcel however and as long as they don't make arses of themselves I've no real problem with that.
Quite a few lads singing hardcore rebel songs in Bordeaux one night. Again I don't have a particular issue with that but I do think there is a time and a place and that wasn't it.

-------------
Draw me a compass I need a MAP

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Shame that.

The only thing I personally saw which I found utterly embarrassing was people pissing wherever they wanted.
Appreciate the French don't exactly go for toilets in a big way but I always made the effort of just popping into a bistro and asking.
Was only refused once.

I did meet a few clowns from Limerick the day of Belgium game who openly admitted they were only there for the craic. That's part and parcel however and as long as they don't make arses of themselves I've no real problem with that.
Quite a few lads singing hardcore rebel songs in Bordeaux one night. Again I don't have a particular issue with that but I do think there is a time and a place and that wasn't it.

lads singing rebel songs on an away trip? Surely not?

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:23pm

I would expect attendances to definitely increase for the WC qualifiers. After Euro 88, we got a full house at Lansdowne for the four qualifiers, even Malta. The Euro qualifiers just gone always had an air of doubt or uncertainty hanging over them and a question of whether this current Irish squad were up to much and whether MON and Keano were the right men for the job.

The crap performance in 2012 was a major issue in destroying the moral and mentality amongst the fans, and ensured that nobody who was not already a season ticket holder was rushing to take up their allocation. I remember friendlies against Greece etc, which were ghost towns.

Posted By: DubCulture
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:25pm
Maybe he had his own surname on back. Seem plenty of gobsh*tes with the same.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Shame that.

Was only refused once.

lads singing rebel songs on an away trip? Surely not?

Rebel songs>>>>> Shane longs on fire, don't take me home and almost all the rest of the regurgitated sh*te our fans sing

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by NorthDubWFTA NorthDubWFTA wrote:

Maybe he had his own surname on back. Seem plenty of gobsh*tes with the same.

With the number 20 on back?

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:37pm
Out come the West Brits.

Go back to Kingstown and support Rugby instead.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Out come the West Brits.

Go back to Kingstown and support Rugby instead.

Wacko

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:57pm
we were not singing dont take me home were we??????

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

we were not singing dont take me home were we??????

I heard a group singing it in Lille. Funnier was the group of locals singing it in an English pub as Iceland got their second.

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:02pm
The reason for no portaloos was the terrorism threat.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:04pm
Where did this 'dont take me home' song come from?  Never heard it until a couple of weeks ago.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:08pm
Honest question ... What do lads think of us (Irish) singing that song don't take me home song ?

I f**king hate it to be honest

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

The reason for no portaloos was the terrorism threat.

It wouldn't have been as bad with no Guinness

-------------

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Where did this 'dont take me home' song come from?  Never heard it until a couple of weeks ago.

England i believe one of the club sides had it first Newcastle possibly

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:11pm
IT is possibly the worst song ever sung at a football match

-------------

Posted By: Deco
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:20pm
One of the drunken idiots I saw near moulin rouge, he fell into a bush with the sprinklers on and got soaked. Good enough for him to get himself into that state. 

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:09pm

And worst when its tritely improvised to some happening or dealing prevalent at a football club.

Its grating on most fans at the best of times.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

And worst when its tritely improvised to some happening or dealing prevalent at a football club.

Its grating on most fans at the best of times.

Like a lot of tunes used, I found it amusing and original when first used by Celtic fans about Paddy McCourt. Like everything else, it gets butchered and becomes used as an irritant. See Grigg, Will.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:25pm
I was in Paris , La Rochelle, Bordeaux and Lille and there was Irish fans singing in that don't take me home song in all those places. the English fans started it,

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:50pm

its not even the worse song sung by some of our fans

and consign that on fire song as well

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net