URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53840
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 4:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Railway Strikes at Euro 2016?
Posted By: ConorMac77
Subject: Railway Strikes at Euro 2016?
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:33pm
Ffs, this is all we need...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/euro-2016-fans-face-travel-7953892" rel="nofollow - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/euro-2016-fans-face-travel-7953892

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Replies:
Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:38pm
Glad I haven't booked any trains within France yet. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:42pm
As long as they stick to the Wednesday's and Thursday's!

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:49pm

there are train strikes here regularly enough. in fact the French go on strike for everything all of the time. nothing new on this and it'll be pot luck on what day strikes will happen or not

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I thought I was going to be affected as I'm booked to travel from Lille to Amsterdam Airport on the day after the Italy game but then remembered it's with Thalys.

In fact that's the day after the group stages finish so there'll be loads of fans from different countries travelling through different parts of France to get home that day alone whether their teams have qualified for the knockout stages or not. That could be absolute chaos. Ouch

-------------

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:25pm
Paging Dr SuperDave

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:49pm
Ticket allocation panic - check
Ticket delivery panic - check
transportation strike panic - check

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:19pm
What a load of bullocks. At least I'm not getting the train to lille

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

What a load of bullocks. At least I'm not getting the train to lille
Hope you're right and that it does turn out to be just a load of tabloid scaremongering but as Alihau said above strikes are common enough in France.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:51pm
PANIC!!!

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:51pm
had a look on Le Monde and has that article but with a bit more detail on it rather than the usual tabloid wank put out by the mirror. discussions are on-going and the move to striking for 48 hours is to try push it in their favour. they've been on strike a few times recently but it isn't all-out strike, but certainly can be down to 50% less trains

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:57pm
EVERYBODY STAY CALM....STAY f**kING CALM!!!

Posted By: BrenC
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:47pm
Planning a trip to Marseille and back on a Wednesday to see France v Albania game -  some pain in the hoop if the strike goes through. 

-------------
Team Emmet

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:28pm
Luckily none of the 5 trains I've booked are on a Wednesday or Thursday

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Paging Dr SuperDave

WHERE THE f**k IS SUPERDAVE

Nuke PANIC!!!! Nuke

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:41pm
SuperDave is currently in talks with France's transport minister. Updates to follow. Looks like he has it all covered

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:45pm
Take a LUAS driver with us, they will break a strike

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

+1, lucky not to have booked trains those days myself LOL

Could potentially impact travel plans if we were to make it to last 16, I guess waiting an extra day in Lille wouldn't be the end of the world.

Date Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:05am
If they go ahead can you still get a train on the same day it's just you might be delayed 5/6 hours?

Posted By: Seanachie
Date Posted: 14 May 2016 at 9:03am

If they go ahead can you still get a train on the same day it's just you might be delayed 5/6 hours?

Yeah, fairly likely. Rail strikes in France rarely shut down the whole network but reduce service to half or two-thirds of regular operations. It could be chaotic but you won't be stranded.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Ticket allocation panic - check
Ticket delivery panic - check
transportation strike panic - check

There was a thread a few weeks ago about an earthquake near to Bordeaux so I'd like to get that included.

Earthquake panic - check.

Also, won't someone please think of the children? That is all.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:42pm
As has been pointed out, chances are you'll be grand.

There are some issues with those booked on IDTGV and Ouigo services, as they are often only given a refund in the event of a cancellation, not a re-routing. Anyone on a normal TGV service should be given the option to re-route.

For the vast majority of us, this should not be an issue. Most people are travelling out to Paris at any stage from the Friday to the Monday: no issues there. Almost everyone is making their way down to Bordeaux / La Rochelle on the Tuesday: no issues there. Just about everyone is making their way back up to Lille on the Monday or the Tuesday, rather than the matchday Wednesday: no issues there.

The only potential problems are those that might occur on the 23rd June, the day after the last group match. Hopefully that won't be a problem, however, given that over 40% of trains should run.

There are also, potentially, problems for those planning on taking trains on the matchday on the 22nd to Lille. Advice would be to keep on top of it early, and re-route if necessary. Ordinary Belgian trains should be running to Kortrijk and Tournai, just over the border from Lille, which will be useful for those coming from Brussels. From Paris, the majority of TGVs should still be running, so it will be grand.

Also, the Lille metro is driverless, and I'd like to see even a French designed driverless metro try to go on strike.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:50pm
SD Clap

-------------

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 3:49pm
Great information Dave!
A question for you do you know if the Eurostar will be affected by this strike?

Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 3:52pm
Last time around, they apparently ran a "near normal" service. There could be one or two cancellations but you'll be able to rebook onto another train, quite likely on the same day.

I imagine if you are affected and plead with them enough, they'll bump you up a class if you really have to travel on an affected day.

If you aren't travelling on a Wednesday or Thursday, though, you have nothing to worry about, by the look of it.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Last time around, they apparently ran a "near normal" service. There could be one or two cancellations but you'll be able to rebook onto another train, quite likely on the same day.

I imagine if you are affected and plead with them enough, they'll bump you up a class if you really have to travel on an affected day.

If you aren't travelling on a Wednesday or Thursday, though, you have nothing to worry about, by the look of it.

Sadly I am travelling from Paris to bordeaux on a Thursday.

It's SNCF and a regular TGV.

On a side note the prices have gone from the 20 euro I paid to 148!

Date Posted: 16 May 2016 at 5:43pm
Well, you should be okay. It will be clear closer to the time, but if your train is cancelled, chances are you will be allowed to travel on any TGV on that date, albeit there could be some overcrowding and you might not be guaranteed a seat.

The voyages-sncf website will have more detail closer to the time. And sure the strike could even be called off in the meantime.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:21am
just to give an update on all the travel strikes going on at the moment:

Trains and public transport

The RATP, the company which organises Paris's public transport, is currently reporting a normal service on all of the RATP and SNCF lines on its website, although two Metro stations - Ecole Militaire and Varenne - are closed due to public demonstrations.

However, the SNCF has advised travellers to cancel or rearrange any train journeys planned for Wednesday or Thursday if possible, due to disruptions from the strike.

The rail strike, called by two of its workers' four unions (CGT et Sud Rail) will last from Wednesday until 8am on Friday morning, with a limited service running during that time. On the Marseille-Nice line, for example, just one out of eight scheduled trains will be running.

Rail workers are not only striking in protest of the labour laws, but also over long-running industry negotiations.

Workers said last week that planned to hold rolling strikes every Wednesday and Thursday from this week onward, right up until the Euro 2016 championships in July.

You can follow the SNCF's service updates on their http://www.ter.sncf.com/paca" rel="nofollow - - Le Monde . 20 percent of flights were cancelled at Orly Airport during the last strike, however the full impact the strike will have on Paris's airports is not yet known.

Roads

Early on Tuesday morning, truck drivers caused blockages around several roads, mainly in the north of the country, however by rush hour the majority of blockages had been cleared.

However, further road blocks are possible on Tuesday, particularly in Nantes, Caen, Marseille, Bordeaux and the north, but not in the Ile-de-France region.

Ports

Two 24-hour strikes have been called by port and dock workers' unions on Tuesday and Thursday, so disruptions to ferry routes are likely.

Posted By: moanermufc
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:47am
Looks like this will affect me getting from Saint Etienne to Bordeaux on the 15th after Portugal v Iceland. Will the Euro 2016 TGVs be affected by this proposed strike? Was hoping to get the 1am train on the 15th back to Paris then straight down to Bordeaux.

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:06pm
FFS. I hate the French enough already but I'm honestly never going back to France again after the euros.

So will the SNCF TGV from Paris to bordeaux be affected by this? This is going to cause f**king chaos for football fans travelling to the euros. What a bunch of ****s striking during this.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:23pm

FFS. I hate the French enough already but I'm honestly never going back to France again after the euros.

So will the SNCF TGV from Paris to bordeaux be affected by this? This is going to cause f**king chaos for football fans travelling to the euros. What a bunch of ****s striking during this.

Couldn't agree more

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:49pm
Buddy of mine lives in Northern Spain. He was due to fly over to me from Biarittz a few months ago and the air traffic controllers called a last minute strike. He received notification 12 hours before his flight was due to leave. The French are always at this.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Buddy of mine lives in Northern Spain. He was due to fly over to me from Biarittz a few months ago and the air traffic controllers called a last minute strike. He received notification 12 hours before his flight was due to leave. The French are always at this.

It's funny their economy is really struggling because the dim wits striked against any and every proposed cut during the recession. Even when they were obviously needed. Now the economy is stagnant and not growing and they're getting all pissy because they can't get whet they want. Makes me angry there are people starving in this world and these f**ks won't even do their jobs for already good money.

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:23pm
So our internal flights could be cancelled as well?

Not using the Orly to Bordeaux on the Tuesday (anyone wants to look at name change PM me... we have about 10 seats not been used) so could get a refund lol

Bordeaux to Lille, if that is cancelled will make the journey interesting

As other posters already said, I hate France, hope we never play them again or have to play in France. 

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It's funny their economy is really struggling because the dim wits striked against any and every proposed cut during the recession. Even when they were obviously needed. Now the economy is stagnant and not growing and they're getting all pissy because they can't get whet they want. Makes me angry there are people starving in this world and these f**ks won't even do their jobs for already good money.

This has nothing to do with more money and all to do with controversial labour law reforms which will adversely effect all French workers & as such is guaranteed to create industrial mayhem across all sectors - obviously the hope is that all will be sorted prior to the competition

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:34pm
Not travelling on a Wednesday or Thursday thank god so should be okay, wouldn't be surprised if this escalated closer to the tournament though.
f**king French, they ruined France

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Travelling on an SNCF train from Geneva to Lyon on Thursday June 16th. Anyone know if cross border train services will be affected?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Due to get a train on the Weds from Paris to Bordeaux, the f**k am I supposed to do if theres a strike on the Weds AND the Thurs?

Airbnb is for Weds-Sun.

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Due to get a train on the Weds from Paris to Bordeaux, the f**k am I supposed to do if theres a strike on the Weds AND the Thurs?

Airbnb is for Weds-Sun.

Could see if you could cancel your hotel for the lastnight and get the overnight ouibus for €9, leaves at 10.30 arrives at 6.30 am. Not ideal but mightn't be much more options

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:46pm
Cross border trains generally not affected so the Geneva Lyon one should be fine.

If you are on a normal TGV (not IDTGV, not Ouigo), you will almost certainly be allowed to travel on any other TGV on the same day or the following day, albeit you might not be guaranteed a seat.

Turn up and if your train is cancelled, you should be okay to get on the next one going the same route. Keep an eye on the website beforehand too.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:56pm

Cross border trains generally not affected so the Geneva Lyon one should be fine.

If you are on a normal TGV (not IDTGV, not Ouigo), you will almost certainly be allowed to travel on any other TGV on the same day or the following day, albeit you might not be guaranteed a seat.

Turn up and if your train is cancelled, you should be okay to get on the next one going the same route. Keep an eye on the website beforehand too.

We're travelling on a regular TGV thank God. It would be a pain in the arse having to wait a few hours for the next but it's far better than having to get an 8 hour bus down.

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 12:05am
Yeah, the IDTGV could end up being a simple refund, and the full price ones are over a hundred quid, which would be more than a pain in the arse.

Still, so long as they stick to Wednesdays and Thursdays, we'll all be grand.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 12:53am

Yeah, the IDTGV could end up being a simple refund, and the full price ones are over a hundred quid, which would be more than a pain in the arse.

Still, so long as they stick to Wednesdays and Thursdays, we'll all be grand.

We're travelling on a Thursday and I imagine a fair few will be on the Wednesday so not really!

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:32am
so is it just Wednesday and Thursday they striking on at the minute. if it is should be ok for all my transport as only tine travelling on either day is train back to amsterdam on the 23rd and assume it won't be affected seeing as it's a Thalys service

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: stiffler
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:41am
Will this affect the TGV Atlantic train from Paris to Bordeaux on Wed 15th June?

What's the alternatives if it is ?

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:51am

thanks SD. There's at least two more trains after mine that I can get which would still get me to Lyon in time for the Ukraine v NI match.

Of all the trains booked only one is an iDTGV train and that's on a Sunday. Everything will hopefully be OK.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: barryn466
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:23am
I am travelling on thursday the 16th june from paris to bordeaux on tgv at 12.24 will this be affected so?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:41am
How's France setup for intercity busses? Currently I'm on a Lourdes - Bordeaux train on the Thursday, could be at risk of the strikes. Would prefere to go via bus rather than miss a night in Bordeaux

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:45am
the controversial labour reforms are being pushed through by hollande and his ministry saying that previous governments failed to do it so they have to do it. it is changes to the way in which contracts are controlled etc. at the moment, it is near on impossible to fire someone in france and because of this companies are only willing to hire people on contracts rather than making them permanent. but those contracts can only last up to 18 months. realistically the changes should help solve issues with the high unemployment levels up those under 30, but typical French never accept change in any format. should try and check out videos of the protests (manifestations) from yesterday. the normal protesters were overtaken by proper rioters who came with bats, balaclavas, helmets etc. full out riot with the police!

and now the police are protesting today on the back of the all of the hatred towards them!!

the French eh...

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:02am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

the controversial labour reforms are being pushed through by hollande and his ministry saying that previous governments failed to do it so they have to do it. it is changes to the way in which contracts are controlled etc. at the moment, it is near on impossible to fire someone in france and because of this companies are only willing to hire people on contracts rather than making them permanent. but those contracts can only last up to 18 months. realistically the changes should help solve issues with the high unemployment levels up those under 30, but typical French never accept change in any format. should try and check out videos of the protests (manifestations) from yesterday. the normal protesters were overtaken by proper rioters who came with bats, balaclavas, helmets etc. full out riot with the police!

and now the police are protesting today on the back of the all of the hatred towards them!!

the French eh...

It’s the same here. I’ve been in and out of contract positions for the last 3 years with a jobridge thrown in for good measure.

My Euro’s trip is entirely dependent on my contract being renewed at the end of this month. The company I’m contracted with in my current placement only renew every 2 months.

Pain in the hole  Ouch

-------------

Posted By: MarkBeaumont
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 1:55pm
Some sources have reported that there will be an on-going SNCF strike on Wednesdays and Thursdays. This has not been confirmed by SNCF and so far is only speculative. If you are booked to travel within the coming few weeks, we recommend checking this page for updated information.

This is on the captaintrain site now.

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by barryn466 barryn466 wrote:

I am travelling on thursday the 16th june from paris to bordeaux on tgv at 12.24 will this be affected so?

As said just above those of us with TGV will have a chance our train is running and if it's not we will be allowed on another TGV later in the day although maybe not guaranteed a seat.

So considering your train is early and there's plenty after if it's cancelled you should be OK with just a few hour delay. Still a pain in the fookin hole

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by stiffler stiffler wrote:

Will this affect the TGV Atlantic train from Paris to Bordeaux on Wed 15th June?

What's the alternatives if it is ?

Answered this about four posts above:

The repetition of questions that have already been answered is really, really starting to annoy the f**k out of me.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:16pm
How reliable are Quibus?

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:21pm
Ouibus should be 100%.

While it is an SNCF company, I think they are completely separate and the drivers not unionised.

They aren't on strike at the minute, afaik, so you should be fine.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:28pm

Ouibus should be 100%.

While it is an SNCF company, I think they are completely separate and the drivers not unionised.

They aren't on strike at the minute, afaik, so you should be fine.

Cool looking at their prices and they seem very good compared to the trains

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:35pm
Yeah, except for the length of time they take. France is a big country. The TGV to Marseille takes 3 hours, compared to the eight hours the bus takes.

On price, though, they are incredible value.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:43pm

Yeah, except for the length of time they take. France is a big country. The TGV to Marseille takes 3 hours, compared to the eight hours the bus takes.

Was looking at the Bordeaux game getting the overnight bus seems best,  sleep on the bus Wink
Arrive on Match Day arrives @ 06:30 gives some time in city before game 22:45 bus back to Paris  same thing sleep on bus arrive back in Paris 06:45

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Was looking at the Bordeaux game getting the overnight bus seems best,  sleep on the bus Wink
Arrive on Match Day arrives @ 06:30 gives some time in city before game 22:45 bus back to Paris  same thing sleep on bus arrive back in Paris 06:45

THAT IS A SEPTIC JOURNEY!!!

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 3:19pm

I once did a 40 hour bus journey 1 way so it's not the worst. Although I said never again after the 4th time doing it. Trains and planes for me this time!

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 3:50pm

That's some journey! Could you not stay in Bordeaux the night of the game?

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 3:55pm

As long as the bus isn't full of loud obnoxious Irish fans should be grand Wink

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 21 May 2016 at 1:44pm
Anyone any further info on this?

Had a look around, inc french sites using translate and theres not a whole lot of clear info.

From what little I see it does appear it is going to be on going on every Weds/Thurs right through the Euros to July. Theres some protest / meetings with unions this week I believe and again on June 14th if they dont get anywhere.

I'm on a TGV Paris to Bordeaux Weds 15th, would I be right in saying I might just be delayed?

Considering booking a bus as back up.

Posted By: SRFCpaulie
Date Posted: 21 May 2016 at 2:03pm
I know it was mentioned earlier what the situation might be for the standard TGV trains but does anyone know about bookings with TGV Euro 2016 printed on the ticket.

My journey is a TGV Euro 2016 train from Bordeaux to Paris and  a TGV from Paris to Lille, all on the day of the Italy match. 

Date Posted: 21 May 2016 at 2:18pm
A national strike has been announced for June 14th and a date in may that doesn't affect us.

This could cause chaos as it's the day after the Ireland v sweden match.

http://www.languedocliving.com/new-strike-dates-announced-news-5312.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.languedocliving.com/new-strike-dates-announced-news-5312.html

Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 4:45pm
the situation is getting worse...

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160523/strikes-fuel-security-euro-2016-facing-major-headaches" rel="nofollow - http://www.thelocal.fr/20160523/strikes-fuel-security-euro-2016-facing-major-headaches

The hardline CGT union which is leading the protest against the labour reforms are ready to up the ante just as the football kicks off.

The union, backed by other leftist unions like Force Ouvriere and several student groups have called for two nationwide strikes to be held, the second of which is scheduled for June 14th - four days after the opening game.

The strikes have particularly affected rail transport with the CGT well represented among rail workers. What will make matters worse is that workers with French rail operator SNCF will also be staging walk-outs in a separate protest over pay and conditions.

Unions representing rail workers have already announced rolling strikes to take place every Wednesday and Thursday, but for the CGT, that will become every day from June 1st.

On Monday the CGT union also called for RATP transport workers in Paris to join an "unlimited" strike from June 2nd. That could see services affected in the capital, which will stage 12 matches.

These strikes have already prompted severe disruption throughout the rail network and if they continue to be strongly followed by workers throughout June then fans could face real difficulties in getting around

Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:19pm
****s!!!

-------------

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:16pm
Would there be refunds if trains are cancelled?

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:25pm
Going by air Frances records those of us that have booked flights down should be ok. They carried our 80% of their flights from paris airports during the last strike with only 2 flights to bordeaux being cancelled

Would imagine similar scenario happened with the trains with it being a reduced service and not 100% cancellation of all trains

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:31pm
This has the potential to cause absolute mayhem if it is not sorted, alternative arrangements will be a nightmare to sort

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:36pm
Indeed,SNCF train and bus journey booked to LR on Tuesday morning.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:40am
2 0f us booked CDG to Lille for the Italy game flying in air france and tgv on, as booked with AF they should have a duty to get us to destination

Bordeaux on the other hand flying to cdg swap to orly for Bordeaux at least the bus option is there

Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:48am
Leaving from Orly the day after the Sweden game, looks like it could be a mess now to get there. The RER train that goes there is one of the main culprits of the strike.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:44pm
Refunds are a disaster at the moment from sncf took 3 months to get one lately .

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: B Corrigan
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:52pm
We're going to be dying after the game on the 13th. The last thing we need is a bus ride to bordeaux. What a joke shop

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Leaving from Orly the day after the Sweden game, looks like it could be a mess now to get there. The RER train that goes there is one of the main culprits of the strike.

RER was €11.50, depending on how many of ye there is I got a quote off uber for €40. There is 4 of us so that's our option.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

RER was €11.50, depending on how many of ye there is I got a quote off uber for €40. There is 4 of us so that's our option.
uber are ****s when there's a strike. They've often double or tripled the rates during a strike in London. Just something to bear in mind.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:58pm

It might not be so bad after all. Only 1 in 5 RERs (and 1 in 4 TGVs) are going to be out of service in the general strike this Thursday, and it's unlikely to get any worse than 40 per cent operational on the 14th.

In a worst-case scenario you have other options, such as the Orlybus, Metro and tram (line 7 to Villejuif and then T7 to Orly, though this takes well over an hour and could also be affected by a separate strike). Don't bother with Uber as they will have price surges activated. Better to stick with regular taxis. The city of Paris recently mandated fixed taxi prices for the airports (50-55 euros to CDG depending on whether you are going from the left or right bank and 30-35 euros to Orly, depending on what side of the river). You can book via G7 or get your hotel to do it if you're staying in one.

https://www.g7.fr/en/" rel="nofollow - https://www.g7.fr/en/

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

It might not be so bad after all. Only 1 in 5 RERs (and 1 in 4 TGVs) are going to be out of service in the general strike this Thursday, and it's unlikely to get any worse than 40 per cent operational on the 14th.

In a worst-case scenario you have other options, such as the Orlybus, Metro and tram (line 7 to Villejuif and then T7 to Orly, though this takes well over an hour and could also be affected by a separate strike). Don't bother with Uber as they will have price surges activated. Better to stick with regular taxis. The city of Paris recently mandated fixed taxi prices for the airports (50-55 euros to CDG depending on whether you are going from the left or right bank and 30-35 euros to Orly, depending on what side of the river). You can book via G7 or get your hotel to do it if you're staying in one.

Thanks.  Are those prices fixed if you hop in a cab in Orly or only if you book in advance?

Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Thanks.  Are those prices fixed if you hop in a cab in Orly or only if you book in advance?

They're fixed if you hop in a cab too. The meter will go straight to the fixed rate. I took one I hailed on the street to CDG recently. Ironically, the fare would have been a lot less under the old rate because traffic was light but in heavier traffic you'll make a saving on the old rate and you won't be ripped off by drivers taking the scenic route.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 5:21pm
Due to travel to la Rochelle on the 14th myself this is all I need.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:23pm
expectations that RATP are going to go on indefinite strike from 2nd June. RATP is all of the metros, buses and trams around Paris. Only a couple of the metro lines are automated, unfortunately that isn't the 13 that goes out to St Denis. So unless there are significant changes to the current stand-off it could get very messy.

also, a suspect package was found on the RER A this morning. it didn't run for a couple of hours. haven't checked for an update yet as to whether it was a false alarm or not...

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:24pm

Orly airport is going to have a strike on the 14th june...

Orly Airport

When: Thursday, May 26th (and June 14th)
Where: Orly Airport in Paris
Why: The CGT union is protesting the labour laws. 
How serious: The DGAC, France's Civil Aviation Authority, has asked airlines to reduce their flight programmes by 15 percent in order to cope with the strike.

Posted By: barcabhoy
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:03pm
Ah no. I have a flight that day from there

-------------
For these games, you must keep a cold heart no, a warm heart and a cold mind no, head! So you must have a warm heart and (pause)a cold head.

Posted By: UpYePupYe
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by barcabhoy barcabhoy wrote:

Ah no. I have a flight that day from there

As do I, on Transvia back to Dublin that evening. Keep an eye on orly departures website tomorrow and we'll get an idea of disruption. Same strike is planned for tomorrow.

-------------
A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:19pm
Flying into Orly on the 17th, hopefully stays unaffected

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: UpYePupYe
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:27pm
Had a look at Transavia website there, Dublin flights cancelled for tomorrow. Balls. Not a good sign....might do the same for June 14th.

-------------
A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:51pm
Could be absolute chaos in Paris if this escalates.

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 2:56pm

Orly airport is going to have a strike on the 14th june...

Orly Airport

When: Thursday, May 26th (and June 14th)
Where: Orly Airport in Paris
Why: The CGT union is protesting the labour laws. 
How serious: The DGAC, France's Civil Aviation Authority, has asked airlines to reduce their flight programmes by 15 percent in order to cope with the strike.

Bollox Angry

Cheers for the info tho Thumbs Up

Posted By: Only2Keaneos
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:25pm

We have a train booked from Paris to La Rochelle via Nort. Is there any where we can check which trains are being affected? Such a shower of pricks.

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:05pm
Was talking to a French pal today. He thinks the government will step in and get it sorted (the strike) before the Euros. Fingers crossed, or it'll be mayhem

Posted By: HampshireDub
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:44pm
BBC reporting fuel shortages now with 1 in 5 garages having no stock !
For the love of Jaysus I hope they send the gendermerie in to sort it out.

I'm selfish like that me.
Couldn't give two hoots about somebody else's employment laws long as I can go the game and have cold beer

-------------
Draw me a compass I need a MAP

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

BBC reporting fuel shortages now with 1 in 5 garages having no stock !
For the love of Jaysus I hope they send the gendermerie in to sort it out.

I'm selfish like that me.
Couldn't give two hoots about somebody else's employment laws long as I can go the game and have cold beer

Reading in the paper today it's left of the left communists pushing all this. Only 3% of union workers are under them. But they have influence far beyond their power and they've gotten student groups and other unions helping them out now.

Could you imagine it escalated, no metros, no trains, no planes, ports blocked, no petrol to refuel the camper, taxi's gone on strike.

We've have to do a good old March on foot and horseback down through France like the good old days.

This sounds like leftist extremists taking the euros hostage. Sad.

Posted By: ColG
Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:38am
Plenty of flights cancelled today I see. Kind of been out of the loop on this whole situation. Are the strike dates planned? And if so are they available anywhere?

Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:56am
Originally posted by ColG ColG wrote:

Plenty of flights cancelled today I see. Kind of been out of the loop on this whole situation. Are the strike dates planned? And if so are they available anywhere?

In French, but this is useful, if far from comprehensive.

http://www.cestlagreve.fr/" rel="nofollow - http://www.cestlagreve.fr/

Today hasn't been that bad actually, both for trains and flights. It's more likely to mean delays than having to make alternate plans (unless, of course, you have to be somewhere at a particular hour, in which case it could be difficult).

Posted By: BillRawles
Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:03am
Originally posted by ColG ColG wrote:

Orly airport on the 14th (the day I'm flying back to Luton) is mentioned in some articles online

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:36am
The bad news is that these ****s are planning a strike on the 14th June

Not particularly great news for myself or many others i presume

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:44am
Thousands will be affected including myself. Need t oget back Tuesday so I can do a couple of days work before heading to Bordeaux on the Friday for a week. Not getting back Tuesday will make a bollocks of the whole thing.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:48am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Thousands will be affected including myself. Need t oget back Tuesday so I can do a couple of days work before heading to Bordeaux on the Friday for a week. Not getting back Tuesday will make a bollocks of the whole thing.

yea same here. nothing like a good oul panic to keep us on our toes!!!!

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:57am
typical French Thumbs Up if there is two things they are good at it's striking and surrendering

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net