Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53830
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Squad v Netherlands
Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Subject: Squad v Netherlands
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:34am

Delighted he's getting O'Dowda involved. Anytime I've seem him live he's been class and I'd fully expect him to move up the leagues this summer's. Obviously won't go to France but good for the future. On the same token it's strange he hasn't gotten Byrne involved

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Replies:
Posted By: pinkfloyd2016
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:38am
Why didn't he call up Dan Crowley?.

Posted By: Andy_Eire
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:38am
Pearce, Quinn, Meyler, McShane and Hayes for fu*k sake

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:39am
Think I heard that Alan Browne was invited to train with the squad maybe Byrne was too.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Andy_Eire
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:39am
Happy with O'Dowda and McGoldrick

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 11:51am
Delighted to see Callum O'Dowda given recognition. Looks a terrific player!

Shame about Jack Byrne not being in it tho.

No matter what anyone says, there are a handful of players in the squad who offer much less than Byrne.

Wouldnt be bringing Byrne to France but I'd liked to have seen him get a proper opportunity to show what he can do at least.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by pinkfloyd2016 pinkfloyd2016 wrote:

Why didn't he call up Dan Crowley?.
Because he's played around 10 games in league 1.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:09pm
Absolutely delighted to see O'Dowda called up, class oozes from this guy would have no problem in a lower PL side or high championship side coming from league 2. 

I'd of liked to off seen Crawley called up also, but he's barely played needs to make an impact somewhere playing first team football.

I'd of liked to off seen Mason or Scott Hogan called up for the training squad as id imagine one or both of them will be in the squad that goes to Serbia.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:18pm
No chance of much experimentation with the strikers with the squad for Holland game. With the euros only around the corner the most important thing is to make sure that your stalwarts are there, getting minutes on the pitch and getting chances in front of goal.

The next squad Ireland pick after the Euros will be very different to what we are used to I would say.

Dont know much about O'Dowda but MON must think highly of him to bring him along. Possibly sees him as a key contributor on the next campaign? Saying that though MON will probably cut him before the squad meets up.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:18pm
A quick search on twitter 'Callum O'Dowda' and you will see numerous folks who have no idea who O'Dowda is Dead

Same crowd who have no idea who Scott Hogan is id suspect, don't look past the glorious Premier League.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:19pm
think its fair enough that this squad is focused on Euro's rather than blooding players for the future. on that basis u would have to assume that all players called up including odowda (who i have never seen play) have some chance of making the squad.

re dan crowley.....he probably can't be in the squad anyway as paperwork to change countries takes time (if he has even decided to join us). 

re inviting lads to train with them i.e. jack byrne - at least he is being straight up and saying "i dont see u making the euro squad" (not saying i agree or otherwise) but u are the future.

will be an interesting squad when finalised. needs to have a couple of utility players and then a couple that can give u something different.....and maybe something new ie odowda?

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:22pm
Bet they know when to use the word have though.

Think it has all come a bit soon for Hogan, another month or two of form half as good and he couldn't have been ignored. Would liked to have seen a new forward in though, we are lacking options. Well done to O'Dowda!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

A quick search on twitter 'Callum O'Dowda' and you will see numerous folks who have no idea who O'Dowda is Dead

Same crowd who have no idea who Scott Hogan is id suspect, don't look past the glorious Premier League.
TObe fair, there's only so many hours in the day. If I started following the Championship the same way I follow other leagues, god knows what would suffer.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:26pm
Great to see ODowda and McGoldrick involved. Hopefully there will be a few more names involved in the training sessions

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:27pm
Can see Hogan,O'Dowda and Byrne being involved for the Serbia game

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:30pm
Ireland's 35 man squad anmounced, #14 may shock and surprise you

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:35pm
Danny Rogers won't be far away, depending were he goes in the summer he was named in the team of the year. This is definitely Givens, Fordes last hurrah. 

Hogan, Forrester, Byrne, Mason, O'Dowda, Browne, Crawley, Cullen, Toner  all have a big part to play over the next few years not forgetting lads like Kiernan who could see themselves replacing the likes McShane/Pearce in the squads . O'Dowda/Hogan the two that could easily start v Serbia. 

Whats the story with Redmond, he's been relegated (again) surely we have to start chasing this guy he hasn't ruled us out either not forgetting Paddy Bamford, Callum Wilson. Havent seen much of Sean Scannell to even make a case for him.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:36pm

Delighted for O'Dowda, has really impressed me over the last couple of years.

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:38pm
David Crawley is about forty, he will have no involvement in the next campaign.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:45pm
Crazy that Cunnigham can't get a look in. Player of the year for Preston in our main problem position

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 2:51pm

Absolutely delighted to see O'Dowda called up, class oozes from this guy would have no problem in a lower PL side or high championship side coming from league 2. 

I'd of liked to off seen Crawley called up also, but he's barely played needs to make an impact somewhere playing first team football.

I'd of liked to off seen Mason or Scott Hogan called up for the training squad as id imagine one or both of them will be in the squad that goes to Serbia.

Embarrassed

I think your appalling grammar is actually attention seeking behaviour at this stage, and you actually know how to use of, off and have.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 3:01pm
It has only been pointed out to him umpteen times too. It is the Mac keyboard.

-------------

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:26pm
we dont even knw will MON and Roy still be in charge after the euros so why do they care about the future ???

the last thing we want is going to serbia with Noel King in charge

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 4:50pm
Did o neill say anything about crowley at anytime today

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Crazy that Cunnigham can't get a look in. Player of the year for Preston in our main problem position

Agreed. Pretty frustrating.

Forrester maybe a little unlucky to miss out as well?

Posted By: Peter1986
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:46pm
I think o'dowda def one for the future but is this the squad that is comingover to train for Holland match or will o'neill do his usual and drop 7 names before they assemble.If so o'dowda will prob be dropped like forrester was from the last squad.
Would prob be a bit annopyed if I was Byrne played a whole year in the dutch premier division maybe with a weak team but still was one of there better players and hes not called up to the squad. 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 5:58pm
Presumably Crowley rejected a call-up then?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Peter1986 Peter1986 wrote:

I think o'dowda def one for the future but is this the squad that is comingover to train for Holland match or will o'neill do his usual and drop 7 names before they assemble.If so o'dowda will prob be dropped like forrester was from the last squad.
Would prob be a bit annopyed if I was Byrne played a whole year in the dutch premier division maybe with a weak team but still was one of there better players and hes not called up to the squad. 
For Cambuur, a side Oxford would probably beat ffs.  

I always worry whenever I see Wilson's name near a squad, surely Cunningham was worth a look in these two games? Surprised at McGoldrick too, surely Mason was worth a punt ahead of him? Even Hogan, as flimsy as it is to call someone up on a month's form, would surely have been worth a gamble? Hopefully Pilkington gets a run up front. We are really light on options up front.

-------------

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:44pm

Danny Rogers won't be far away, depending were he goes in the summer he was named in the team of the year. This is definitely Givens, Fordes last hurrah. 

Hogan, Forrester, Byrne, Mason, O'Dowda, Browne, Crawley, Cullen, Toner  all have a big part to play over the next few years not forgetting lads like Kiernan who could see themselves replacing the likes McShane/Pearce in the squads . O'Dowda/Hogan the two that could easily start v Serbia. 

Whats the story with Redmond, he's been relegated (again) surely we have to start chasing this guy he hasn't ruled us out either not forgetting Paddy Bamford, Callum Wilson. Havent seen much of Sean Scannell to even make a case for him.

A bit much of you to be having a go at people not knowing who callum o dowda is yet you not knowing that premier league player callum wilson isnt eligible EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed  LOLLOLLOL

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: Lansdown Roar
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:49pm
Seeing the inclusion of O'Dowda which is great and all as he is a promising player, but leaves me question why the likes of Cunningham, Byrne, Forrester or Doherty weren't included. I know you can't include them all but another 1 or 2 of the lads I mentioned could of been looked at.

-------------
They've only gone and done it

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Peter1986 Peter1986 wrote:

Its typical of O' Neill he spent the past week with his begging bowl out to Crowley who probably told him to do one . All the while snubbing his most technically gifted player who has the potential to be a great midfield player for Ireland.  Byrne is the real deal 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:06pm
You're just another prick in the wall.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Lansdown Roar Lansdown Roar wrote:

Seeing the inclusion of O'Dowda which is great and all as he is a promising player, but leaves me question why the likes of Cunningham, Byrne, Forrester or Doherty weren't included. I know you can't include them all but another 1 or 2 of the lads I mentioned could of been looked at.

O' Neill is a clown calling up a player who plys his trade in league two, while ignoring byrne who has got man of the match awards against world class teams like Ajax and PSV Eindoven

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

LOLLOL

This Byrne thing fascinates me. He isn't ready, did anybody see him against the Italian under 21s? O' Dowda was the one that stood out. He is physically more developed than Byrne. The reason people are getting excited about Byrne is because he plays in the Eredivisie, a league that has dropped an awful in quality in the past few years. Not only has the league dropped in quality, he was playing for far and away the worst team in it, a team that if they were playing Oxford United in a competitive game I know where my tenner would be going. This constant need to use the fact he plays on the continent does not mean he should be picked over anyone else, the reverse also applies of course. Next season is a big year for Jack, he did ok with a poor club this season and the spell in a different culture, on and off the pitch, will stand him in good stead. Hopefully he can get a loan deal to a better club next season and force his way into the Irish senior set-up.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:15pm
Agree with your opinion of Byrne and O'Dowda. I saw Jack Byrne a few times myself playing U21 for Ireland and thought he had a long way to go tbh. 

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It has only been pointed out to him umpteen times too. It is the Mac keyboard.

PICNIC

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:43pm

LOLLOL

This Byrne thing fascinates me. He isn't ready, did anybody see him against the Italian under 21s? O' Dowda was the one that stood out. He is physically more developed than Byrne. The reason people are getting excited about Byrne is because he plays in the Eredivisie, a league that has dropped an awful in quality in the past few years. Not only has the league dropped in quality, he was playing for far and away the worst team in it, a team that if they were playing Oxford United in a competitive game I know where my tenner would be going. This constant need to use the fact he plays on the continent does not mean he should be picked over anyone else, the reverse also applies of course. Next season is a big year for Jack, he did ok with a poor club this season and the spell in a different culture, on and off the pitch, will stand him in good stead. Hopefully he can get a loan deal to a better club next season and force his way into the Irish senior set-up.

Byrne is a player who Patrick Viera has compared favourbly with Paul Scholes. From what I have seen of Byrne . It is a justifiable comparison . Byrne has everything you want in a creative midfielder . He has great close control, can dribble , great cross field pass, vision , decision making, can score spectacular goals . He can see things on the pitch that few other players can see,. What really strikes me is the maturity in his game he plays the game like he is a veteran , he so calm and assured on the ball. He is a better player than Hoolohan already . 

O' Dowda is a pub player in comparison . He is a poor mans Mcgeady he hasn't got the football brain to make it in a top league . Championship level is his standard. I say at best he will get to Pilkingtons level . Pilkington looked a world beater in the championship but when he went to the premier league he was a journey man . Pikikgton is a more talented footballer than O' Dowd.

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 7:44pm

LOLLOL

Byrne is a player who Patrick Viera has compared favourbly with Paul Scholes. From what I have seen of Byrne . It is a justifiable comparison . Byrne has everything you want in a creative midfielder . He has great close control, can dribble , great cross field pass, vision , decision making, can score spectacular goals . He can see things on the pitch that few other players can see,. What really strikes me is the maturity in his game he plays the game like he is a veteran , he so calm and assured on the ball. He is a better player than Hoolohan already . 

O' Dowda is a pub player in comparison . He is a poor mans Mcgeady he hasn't got the football brain to make it in a top league . Championship level is his standard. I say at best he will get to Pilkingtons level . Pilkington looked a world beater in the championship but when he went to the premier league he was a journey man . Pikikgton is a more talented footballer than O' Dowd.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:18pm

LOLLOL

I've read some nonsense on here, that is right up there. O'Dowda is being tacked by Spurs, United, Derby, WHU, Liverpool among others... don't go into football scouting thats for sure. I've watched him live a few times and previously stated he is the future of Irish football I stand by that comment the fact he was called up today playing L2 just reinforces that point. How many minutes of football have you watched O'Dowda play? He give the Italian u21s the run around playing for Oxford while they play for Milan etc.
Byrne is physically weak there is a reason he didn't get a chance at City this year but Iheanacho did judging by your summary Byrne should be playing for Barcelona putting Iniesta on the bench. Chris Forrester is a better player at this point and playing for a better side in Peterborough. The guy has attributes that will allow him to get to Wes Hoolahans ability without doubt, when he's playing for Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord in the Dutch league then i'll take notice personally. 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by Lansdown Roar Lansdown Roar wrote:

O' Neill is a clown calling up a player who plys his trade in league two, while ignoring byrne who has got man of the match awards against world class teams like Ajax and PSV Eindoven

Yeah, World Class.Most recently in the 90's for Ajax, and early 2000's for PSV.. still wouldn't call that PSV team world class.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:29pm

LOLLOL

I've read some nonsense on here, that is right up there. O'Dowda is being tacked by Spurs, United, Derby, WHU, Liverpool among others... don't go into football scouting thats for sure. I've watched him live a few times and previously stated he is the future of Irish football I stand by that comment the fact he was called up today playing L2 just reinforces that point. How many minutes of football have you watched O'Dowda play? He give the Italian u21s the run around playing for Oxford while they play for Milan etc.
Byrne is physically weak there is a reason he didn't get a chance at City this year but Iheanacho did judging by your summary Byrne should be playing for Barcelona putting Iniesta on the bench. Chris Forrester is a better player at this point and playing for a better side in Peterborough. The guy has attributes that will allow him to get to Wes Hoolahans ability without doubt, when he's playing for Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord in the Dutch league then i'll take notice personally. 
Topper, this will surprise you as much as it does me, but that is spot on.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:01pm

LOLLOL

Topper, this will surprise you as much as it does me, but that is spot on.

Oddly...I wholeheartedly agree too

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:46pm
Pinkfloyd, the poster to finally bring PM and SB together.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Pinkfloyd, the poster to finally bring PM and SB together.
I would have said the poster that makes Topper seem sane!

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 10:14pm
Chap has been here before anyway, pretty effective troll for a while - run down Irish players, while giving a favourable impression of lads who aren't in the squad who have never played for us (therefore difficult to contradict, at least in his own head). 

The criticisms of Long are actually meaningless, and the reason why is the other strikers in the squad, only Walters (who doesn't play for us as a striker half the time) is even fit to be talked about in the same category. Long has to get his place in front of a years past his best Keane, a fella who has never really looked like an international footballer in Murphy, and possibly Doyle, another one whose best days are behind him. Shouldn't be too difficult for him. 

This crap about Vardy, Benteke, Radamel Falcao, whoever else ya like to mention & goals to games ratios is equally irrelevant, none of them play for us. Whether Long is top 4 EPL club material, or lucky to be at Southampton makes no difference at all in the context of Murphy, Doyle & Keane. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 12 May 2016 at 10:20pm

LOLLOL

I haven't seen as much as you have seen of him . But from what I have seen of him I don't see anything special in him . His decision making , crossing, reading of the game, ability to beat players is poor . If you want to talk about wingers with top class ability who have potential . Lets start with Pat Roberts . O' Dowda from a technical stand point is light years behind Roberts . The way you talk about him it is like he is the next damien duff . Perhaps if I see more of him I will change my mind  but I don't think so.

Anyways, Its just my opinion . For example I rate Will Hughes I think he is one of the best midfielders one day . Others think he is light weight and is just a championship player . Anyways time will tell which of us is right about O' Dowda.

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:28am

LOLLOL

Agree with this!

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:33am

LOLLOL

Amazes me seeing people write off young players, do you honestly believe this nonsence or are you just another wind up merchant?

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOLLOL

Amazes me seeing people write off young players, do you honestly believe this nonsence or are you just another wind up merchant?

So having a different opinion is a wind up merchant now.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net