URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53707
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 7:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bataclan Theatre - We shall remember
Posted By: baresi41
Subject: Bataclan Theatre - We shall remember
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 2:13pm
Folks,

As we're heading to Paris in about seven weeks time, I thought it would be nice to pay respects to the people who perished on Friday, 13th of November 2015 in the   http://www.france24.com/en/20151114-paris-attacks-shootings-there-was-blood-everywhere-bataclan" rel="nofollow - Bataclan  concert hall. It took place the same night we played Bosnia - Herzegovina in Zenica. Those of us who were at the match knew nothing about the event in general until we returned to Zarajevo. Understandably, we were shocked and horrified at what had happened. Other incidents took place in Paris the same night.

Also, a team of three other bombers failed in their attempt to storm the Stade de France stadium north of Paris, where the French national team were playing Germany in a friendly match watched by President François Hollande. They were ordinary football fans like us attending a match, supporting their team.

As a gesture from Irish fans travelling to Paris for the first game, it would be wonderful if they visited the venue, laid a flower, card etc. to show these people are not forgotten. I certainly intend doing a visit. I know it's not for everyone, but a show of solidarity among football fans to say we will not be intimidated would be appreciated by the French people.

-------------
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade

Replies:
Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Folks,

As we're heading to Paris in about seven weeks time, I thought it would be nice to pay respects to the people who perished on Friday, 13th of November 2015 in the <span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;"> </span> http://www.france24.com/en/20151114-paris-attacks-shootings-there-was-blood-everywhere-bataclan" rel="nofollow - Bataclan <span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;"> concert hall. It took place the same night we played Bosnia - Herzegovina in Zenica. Those of us who were at the match knew nothing about the event in general until we returned to Zarajevo. Understandably, we were shocked and horrified at what had happened. Other incidents took place in Paris the same night.</span>
<span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;">Also, a team of three other bombers failed in their attempt to storm the Stade de France stadium north of Paris, where the French national team were playing Germany in a friendly match watched by President François Hollande. They were ordinary football fans like us attending a match, supporting their team.</span>
<span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;">As a gesture from Irish fans travelling to Paris for the first game, it would be wonderful if they visited the venue, laid a flower, card etc. to show these people are not forgotten. I certainly intend doing a visit. I know it's not for everyone, but a show of solidarity among football fans to say we will not be intimidated would be appreciated by the French people.</span>

Is there a permanent memorial there?

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:16am
This quiet show of respect is a much better idea than the loud pub crawl through the bars and cafes that were attacked, which someone suggested.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:16am
Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Folks,

As we're heading to Paris in about seven weeks time, I thought it would be nice to pay respects to the people who perished on Friday, 13th of November 2015 in the <span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;"> </span> http://www.france24.com/en/20151114-paris-attacks-shootings-there-was-blood-everywhere-bataclan" rel="nofollow - Bataclan <span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;"> concert hall. It took place the same night we played Bosnia - Herzegovina in Zenica. Those of us who were at the match knew nothing about the event in general until we returned to Zarajevo. Understandably, we were shocked and horrified at what had happened. Other incidents took place in Paris the same night.</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;">Also, a team of three other bombers failed in their attempt to storm the Stade de France stadium north of Paris, where the French national team were playing Germany in a friendly match watched by President François Hollande. They were ordinary football fans like us attending a match, supporting their team.</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb25, 25, 25; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing: 0.08px; line-height: 22px;">As a gesture from Irish fans travelling to Paris for the first game, it would be wonderful if they visited the venue, laid a flower, card etc. to show these people are not forgotten. I certainly intend doing a visit. I know it's not for everyone, but a show of solidarity among football fans to say we will not be intimidated would be appreciated by the French people.</span>

Is there a permanent memorial there?

No. Just a quiet moment. I intend leaving an Ireland  scarf outside as a mark of respect.

-------------

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:41am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

This quiet show of respect is a much better idea than the loud pub crawl through the bars and cafes that were attacked, which someone suggested.

Think you might be referring to my suggestion I made on the Paris thread about drinking at the bars that were attacked.

First of all, I did NOT say go for a loud pub crawl.  I proffered the idea of going for a drink at Le Carillon, La Belle Equipe etc. show a bit of solidarity with the the places that, if they have reopened, have become morbid places that are quite likely experiencing a drop in earnings.  But you know what?  As insensitive the idea may seem, maybe a pub crawl might not be such a bad idea after all?  

Think about it; rather than being places to be avoided or visited mournfully.  I dare say those bar owners would quite like their establishments to return to being what they were.  Somewhere people go live it up, have a craic, enjoy themselves.  And yes, maybe even get langered.  As if those terrible events of the 13th of November never happened.

I realise this is a sensitive subject and I not entirely sure I've worded this right.  But I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Think you might be referring to my suggestion I made on the Paris thread about drinking at the bars that were attacked.

First of all, I did NOT say go for a loud pub crawl.  I proffered the idea of going for a drink at Le Carillon, La Belle Equipe etc. show a bit of solidarity with the the places that, if they have reopened, have become morbid places that are quite likely experiencing a drop in earnings.  But you know what?  As insensitive the idea may seem, maybe a pub crawl might not be such a bad idea after all?  

Think about it; rather than being places to be avoided or visited mournfully.  I dare say those bar owners would quite like their establishments to return to being what they were.  Somewhere people go live it up, have a craic, enjoy themselves.  And yes, maybe even get langered.  As if those terrible events of the 13th of November never happened.

I realise this is a sensitive subject and I not entirely sure I've worded this right.  But I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

NR. a show of solidarity among football fans to say we will not be intimidated would be appreciated by the French people, bar owners et all. If it's a pint in one of the pubs so be it. Wear the green jersey with pride, it's never been seen worldwide as a threat. We are after all ambassadors of our own country when we're away. 

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:28am
Did Byrner not visit the site on behalf of YBIG that time he was in Paris? Laid a reath and everything.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Newry your suggestion was fine but others went too far suggesting a pub crawl.

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 4:00pm

Newry your suggestion was fine but others went too far suggesting a pub crawl.

Well alright, maybe not a pub crawl.  But certainly drinking and enjoying yourselves as you would at any other bar, definitely.  For the reasons stated.  No?

Posted By: KenSRFC
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:13pm

No, let's not assist financially the bar and cafe owners that had their businesses destroyed for a number of weeks, and in some cases longer. 

We should spend all our money on the Moulin Rouge.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:28pm
At this point I feel the need to give ISIS credit, no other organisation could have made anybody feel sympathy for Paris Café owners.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:32pm
Congrats for telling everyone about your quiet show of respect

Welcome to 2016, where you have to tell people about every good deed you do and be seen to grieve more than others

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

At this point I feel the need to give ISIS credit, no other organisation could have made anybody feel sympathy for Paris Café owners.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Congrats for telling everyone about your quiet show of respect

Welcome to 2016, where you have to tell people about every good deed you do and be seen to grieve more than others

Spot on.

When I seen the title of this thread I thought it was another 'look at me look at me' from Sbyrne.

It seems white Europeans that die in terrorist attacks are more deserving of sympathy to the grief junkies.

-------------

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Did Byrner not visit the site on behalf of YBIG that time he was in Paris? Laid a reath and everything.

Wearing a French jersey and shedding a single tear. It was poignant and struck a chord with everyone on the forum when he posted it!

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:12pm

Is the lad not allowed to make a suggestion on the forum?

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Off course he is but we're also allowed to pull people up on selective grieving.

What has the Paris attacks got to do with Irish football supporters anyway?!

It would be one thing if there were Irish supporters who were killed in one of the bars while watching a match and a tribute to them but this just smacks of grief junkiesm.

-------------

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Off course he is but we're also allowed to pull people up on selective grieving.

What has the Paris attacks got to do with Irish football supporters anyway?!

It would be one thing if there were Irish supporters who were killed in one of the bars while watching a match and a tribute to them but this just smacks of grief junkiesm.

I don't think it's fair to say "what has it got to do with irish football supporters anyway?. Surely is a an issue for humanity. Agree with u about selective grieving though. There have been many equal or worse massacres the world over in recent times and i don't see anybody falling over themselves to pay their respects to the victims of those. Personally if i am in the area i may pay my respects

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:27pm
Wasn't there an Irish man shot there?

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

I don't think it's fair to say "what has it got to do with irish football supporters anyway?. Surely is a an issue for humanity. Agree with u about selective grieving though. There have been many equal or worse massacres the world over in recent times and i don't see anybody falling over themselves to pay their respects to the victims of those. Personally if i am in the area i may pay my respects

Seems people are forgetting that on the night in question there was an attack on Stade de France where thankfully they didn't get in.

Up to each of us to decide what we want to do or not do.

But won't criticise someone for suggesting it.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:28am
The problem I have is its selective grieving. There have been many instances in Paris in recent years. If you mourn one you should mourn them all.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: KenSRFC
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:46am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

The problem I have is its selective grieving. There have been many instances in Paris in recent years. If you mourn one you should mourn them all.

Why should people mourn them all? If thats a problem you have you musnt have much to be bothering you

Can people not make personal choices these days without others passing judgement?

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:32am
Originally posted by KenSRFC KenSRFC wrote:

Why should people mourn them all? If thats a problem you have you musnt have much to be bothering you

Can people not make personal choices these days without others passing judgement?
because every human life is equal. FOUR HUNDRED people drowned in the Med last week and there wasn't a wimper on ybig about it. Prince dies and the place goes into meltdown. An attack in Paris and the place goes into meltdown.

Will lads go to the kosher supermarket to pay respects? Maybe buy a loaf of bread while there to show solidarity. Maybe visit the gas factory where the boss had hos chopped off? It's all bollocks. The very fact we're going to France at all is a big f**k you to Isis and their extremist pals.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 9:37am
I am not saying the OP here is doing it but people like to boost their own egos by saying that they are going to do something after a tragedy happens and people tell them how great they are for doing so . Usually the ones that go quietly about their mourning or donations are the most sincere .

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 9:48am

The very fact we're going to France at all is a big f**k you to Isis and their extremist pals.

I think you're being quite harsh to the OP of this thread Coleman, he should be able to suggest what he has without being admonished for it, however you are spot on with the above line. At the end of the day that's the most important thing for everyone to remember.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The very fact we're going to France at all is a big f**k you to Isis and their extremist pals.

I think you're being quite harsh to the OP of this thread Coleman, he should be able to suggest what he has without being admonished for it, however you are spot on with the above line. At the end of the day that's the most important thing for everyone to remember.

Don't listen to him, sure he got an annual subscription to Charlie Hebdo, 'for the cause'.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net