Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53691
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 11:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 'Sweden are a one-man team & Zlatan is past it'
Posted By: davekoolhill
Subject: 'Sweden are a one-man team & Zlatan is past it'
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:08pm
Those were the strong views from our panel on the YBIG Football Show this week!

I spoke to Sweden-based Irish journalist Philip O'Connor and Joe McCarthy of the Irish Abroad Website.

http://www.benchwarmers.ie/bench/podcast-sweden-are-a-one-man-team-and-zlatan-is-past-it/52885/#.VxUFDTCLQ2w" rel="nofollow - Listen to the show here

Hope you enjoy. 

Remember if you would like to come on the show, mail Dave@TalkingSport.org. 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Replies:
Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:53pm
Clap Clap Clap

that's up on the twitter and facebook pages 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:56pm
Brilliant, thanks a mill. 

I tried to keep the show short, snappy and sexy! 

-------------

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 5:02pm
uncensored?? 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:43pm
Enjoyed listening as always! Thumbs Up

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:21pm
Good listen

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:41pm
Thanks lads :) glad you liked it. 

Remember, I will be recording weekly with the lead up to the Euro's so anyone available this week, let me know. 

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:31pm
32 goals in 27 league games for Zlatan this season, wouldn't mind having a player that's past it of that nature in our side. 

His stats are still outrageous and he is a match winner and will be hard to keep quiet in June. 

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

32 goals in 27 league games for Zlatan this season, wouldn't mind having a player that's past it of that nature in our side. 

His stats are still outrageous and he is a match winner and will be hard to keep quiet in June. 

+1

Can't see any reason to suggest "he's past it" , he could beat us on his own if he's in the mood.

Granted his powers in his overall play may not be what they used to be, but all he needs is one chance to punish any side in world football. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:39pm
If he doesn't score at least two when playing an English club he is past it. He is blamed, bizarrely, for the European defeats of every club he has played for

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:14am
Cue Zlatan to get a hat trick against us!

He knows it's most likely his last major tournament before he heads off to the great retirement home in America.
He'll definitely be out to have a good one.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:19am
Completed the Sweden team in the Euro sticker album last night

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:42am
Far from past it, having one of his best season's in his entire career.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

But in a piss poor league

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If he doesn't score at least two when playing an English club he is past it. He is blamed, bizarrely, for the European defeats of every club he has played for

SmileSmile Unfortunately a lot of blinkered EPL fans think this way. I work with a fella (Life long Liverpool "supporter" who is in his 50s and never once been to Anfield) who for years has maintained Zlatan is sh*te because there were a couple of times he played Liverpool and didn't score. This was evidence that he "never performs in the big games"

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 11:42am
Zlatan is far from sh*te, or past it.

But he does rely on others to be feed the balls in. The quality of the PSG midfield allows it all game long. Sweden not so much. They've a 34 year old Kallstrum and an out of form bench warmer at Sunderland.

To stop Zlatan, stop their midfield.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Zlatan is far from sh*te, or past it.

But he does rely on others to be feed the balls in. The quality of the PSG midfield allows it all game long. Sweden not so much. They've a 34 year old Kallstrum and an out of form bench warmer at Sunderland.

To stop Zlatan, stop their midfield.

Both are proven performers for Sweden though, with around 200 odd caps between them. Seb has missed a lot of the season due to injury, but on Saturday he set up a goal at the weekend when he came on and will more than likely start vs Arsenal this weekend coming!

I'd also expect Sweden to start with more energy in midfield with Ekdal to start, they've also a very good winger in Durmaz who is a speed merchant on the wing. Zengin is also a nice option for them too!

On a side note they have slowly but surely decreased the average age of their team due to the emergence of the under 21 European Championship winning side. We saw Victor Lindeolf play against Bayern last week in the CL last 8. Hijlemark earned a move to Serie A on the back of winning the European Championship (haven't seen much of this season but was a good player for PSV)! 

I have a bit of an obsession with Sweden Embarrassed Basically whenever they're playing I'll watch them over any other side (bar Ireland) and they are more dangerous than people are giving them credit for. 

We shouldn't be in awe of them mind or fear them at the same time. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I love how this argument is never used to describe the MLS.
Of course, Robbie Keane up near the top of their goal scoring charts has nothing to do with it.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Of course, Robbie Keane up near the top of their goal scoring charts has nothing to do with it.

Well if it wasn't widely acknowledged as a piss poor league there'd be absolute outrage whenever Robbie doesn't start

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:15pm
Must be joking, all that a lot of posters seem to do is lambast the standard of the MLS....

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: (._.)
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:24pm
We are better team now than Sweden,just hope we can go out and show it.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:49am
Lads, I'd love to have some of you come on the show this week. Drop me a mail. 

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:09am
I would strongly fancy us to beat Sweden

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

What are you talking about LOL

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 3:12pm
Even the most optimistic poster would acknowledge that we very well could come away with 0 points from our 2nd and 3rd games. But taking off the green-tinted glasses here as much as i can, i do think overall we are a significantly better side than they are. Most of the previews of the tournament done so far have placed Ireland ahead of Sweden in the group predictions as well. 

Of course Sweden's unpredictability factor is Zlatan and he could win them any game on his day, but i genuinely do think that man for man this is a team we should be beating, and i'm fairly confident that we will. Could say 'we are just building ourselves up like 2012 again' but I think this team is in significantly better shape than the 2012 team, and that Croatia side would absolutely decimate this Sweden one. We're a better team than Sweden I think, and i'd back us to show it. Zlatan certainly isn't past it yet but Sweden are a one-man team, with the next best being a couple of decent pros like Wernbloom and Larsson

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 3:24pm
I think both teams are pretty even. If you consider the qualifying that both countries had, I think both would have performed fairly identical had our respective positions been reversed. I think we would have also finished third in a group with Russia and Austria, and I can't imagine that Sweden would have finished higher than third in our group. There won't be much between us in St. Denis but we're due a lucky bounce in that place after 2004 and 2009. Hopefully that bounce is off Big Johnny Walters arse and into the Swedish net for a 92nd minute winner.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net