Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53566
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 10:57pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Roddy Collins fined E1500 for speaking the truth
Posted By: Bitored
Subject: Roddy Collins fined E1500 for speaking the truth
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:24pm
The FAI strikes again fining Roddy E1500. I know Rodderick wouldn't have a big fan base but he's absolutely in the right here.
http://buzz.ie/just-why-is-roddy-collins-on-his-way-to-the-bold-boys-corner/" rel="nofollow - http://buzz.ie/just-why-is-roddy-collins-on-his-way-to-the-bold-boys-corner/

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:32pm
When JD arrives for a board meeting

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 10:58pm
Shocking stuff again. Similar happened when he was with us.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:21pm
Ridiculous, the man is a spoofer of the highest order, but he speaks the truth here. The fact they are censoring him here just proves him right.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 11:39pm
Incredible. Every word of this is truth. Again, incredible.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:04am
***Removed. Top secret ****

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:07am
The Rodster really is a genius. Criticizes the Fai, gets fined, receives some publicity, people fell sorry for him and everyone forgets the big spoofer is doing a terrible job at Waterford Utd and how bad he was at Derry City. LOLLOL  

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:08am

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:28am
If the truth hurts, then it clearly pains those in Abbotstown charged with running our league. Roddy has made enemies throughout FAI officialdom for merely speaking the truth and when he once accused that body of treating the LOI as an inconvenience, the blazers closed rank and went on the offensive - in this case a hefty fine.  

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

The Rodster really is a genius. Criticizes the Fai, gets fined, receives some publicity, people fell sorry for him and everyone forgets the big spoofer is doing a terrible job at Waterford Utd and how bad he was at Derry City. LOLLOL  
and so what if that is the case? He speaks the truth and the powers that be go all North Korea on it. That should be the one and only concern of any LOI supporter.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

When JD arrives for a board meeting

Very funny DI

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:43am
Do the clubs still have their barrister? Something needs to be done collectively about this

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:41am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Do the clubs still have their barrister? Something needs to be done collectively about this

That's a good point. 
It's a nonsense that someone can be fined for giving their opinion. No one has been defamed here. He's not bringing the game into disrepute. 

Another example of the dictatorial reign of our Dear Leader JD. 

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:51am
LOI clubs must agree not to "defame" the FAI as part of the terms of registration into the league . That's what I've been told anyway .. Kim John Delaney !!!

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

I think most reasonable Blues fans would dispute that , money is tight & the panel generally is young & inexperienced so a gradual improvement is all we can ask for .

Back on topic , his comments are , of course , correct & the FAI's response has been not only draconian but they also smack of unwarranted censorship.

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 2:31pm
noun: disrepute
  1. the state of being held in low esteem by the public.

This state has applied to the FAI for many years and been self-inflicted.

Does anyone know which rule was used? Both of the below from the rulebook are wide open to interpretation..

I assume the divide and conquer bone throwing leadership approach means that a united voice has not emerged from the loi clubs.

Thats the only way forward without fear of individual sanction.

RULE 94. BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE

Any Member or Participant who has brought the game of football or the FAI into disrepute by any means, written, verbal, by action or otherwise shall be sanctioned with a suspension and/or fine and/or a ban on performing any football related activity or other sanction deemed appropriate.

RULE 95. DISPARAGING COMMENTS AND/OR ACTIONS

1. Public comment and/or actions of the following nature may result in disciplinary sanction:

a) Comments and/or actions which are offensive or threatening in any way and/or;

b) Comments and/or actions causing damage to the game or the FAI or bringing the game or the FAI into disrepute and/or;

c) Unsubstantiated allegations or comments which question the integrity of any person or body or are disparaging in any way;

d) Publication of material which questions the integrity of any person or body or are disparaging in any way.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

It's a nonsense that someone can be fined for giving their opinion.
no, its the real world. criticise your employers or professional body in the media and let me know how you get on.

Roddy hadn't been in the press for ages, Roddy decides to get himself publicity. Roddv v the system. The fact that this man has done immeasurable damage to Irish football over the years is irrelevant of course...

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 2:56pm
You lot are utterly deluded if you think clubs will band together to defend Roddy's right to not have the rules apply to him.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

You lot are utterly deluded if you think clubs will band together to defend Roddy's right to not have the rules apply to him.

Thats not what was meant but I think you know that...

I'm no fan of Roddy's approach. There are vaild concerns about the league and grassroots development that need to be raised in a more coherent and united manner.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:28pm
And they are. The Premier Club Alliance for example.

Roddy has a voice within the FAI to be heard. He chose martyrdom.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:32pm
Glad to hear it.

He should have been ignored so.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:42pm
Personally I agree, the FAI should have simply ignored him

-------------

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:53pm
Bucket collection before the game tomorrow evening to help Rodster pay the fine 👍

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:09am
Get with the consensus "RTID". We can`t all be wrong in our conclusion that the FAI have failed miserably over the years in promoting the LOI. If you have friends/acquaintances within that organisation then please own up, as you appear to be an unashamed apologist in your posts so far.

Roddy has been the butt of heavy criticism for many years now and on the managerial front, much of it has been justified. He`s vocal, a strong personality with strident and passionate views, and many will dismiss him lazily as a spoofer or chancer.

I don`t have access to his column or comment in the tabloid press as I don`t buy newspapers, (apart from the Sunday Times every fortnight), but I`ve read enough through social media over the past week to convince me that he`s speaking an uncomfortable truth.     

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 9:53am
He is dismissed as a spoofer and a chancer because he is a spoofer and a chancer.

Roderick has managed around 13 seasons in the LoI. He has had more opportunity than most to implement some of the things he decries not being in place. He has access to FAI committees to lobby for change.

I am not in any way shape or form defending the FAI, substantively Roderick is right.  The problem is how self serving he is and the fact he is not a credible martyr for change.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:15am
Fair comment "RTID" and I certainly agree with some of your points - especially that Roddy has access to FAI commitees to lobby for change.

I just thought the FAI were heavy-handed in the way they dealt with this issue. 1500 Euro is a hefty fine in the context of LOI wages and a 6-game touchline ban is excessive so early in the season. Surely the FAI could`ve foreseen the backlash from fans and treated this case with more sensitivity?

Yes, Roddy is managing a LOI club and there`s a charter of rules in place, so he knows the consequences. But he spoke in his capacity as a newspaper columnist and merely expressed his opinion. The FAI should`ve copped this distinction - Roddy speaking as a columnist and expressing his views, as opposed to Roddy speaking out as manager of Waterford Utd. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 8:48am
Write a newspaper column criticising your employers, by name, and let me know how you get on with that distinction

-------------

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 2:37pm

Write a newspaper column criticising your employers, by name, and let me know how you get on with that distinction

If it was Waterford board he was criticising I'd agree with you. However, the fai aren't his employers regardless of how you want to paint it.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of roddy, the bigger picture is the fai attempting to silence any dissent within the league. It's an absolute joke.

Though the other side of it is the idiots in all the clubs signed up to this agreement. They should have backbone and all not sign up to the league until they can get free speech. Openly questioning things is healthy.

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 2:42pm
So explain why Graham Barrett's comments weren't silenced?

-------------

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 7:28pm

So explain why Graham Barrett's comments weren't silenced?

You'll have to direct that one to the fai. If there's one thing the fai is consistent about, it is been inconsistent.

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:37am
I still think it`s an own goal from the FAI, at a time when they need all the goodwill they can get from fans of domestic football. Roddy has been blunt in his criticism of that body for several years now but they over reacted by throwing the proverbial book at him. Gagging criticism without addressing it is not the way to go. 

-------------

Posted By: pateen11
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:06pm

Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

It's a nonsense that someone can be fined for giving their opinion.
no, its the real world. criticise your employers or professional body in the media and let me know how you get on.

Roddy hadn't been in the press for ages, Roddy decides to get himself publicity. Roddv v the system. The fact that this man has done immeasurable damage to Irish football over the years is irrelevant of course...

The first is interesting though the FAI wouldn't be true employers as such, just the governing body.

The second point about immeasurable damage I not sure I get

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:46pm
What immeasurable  damage has Roddy Collins done to the L.O.I ? The only damage done to a league that is and has always been on its knees is by its Guardians ! Obviously Clubs who have had a bad expierience with Roddy are of another opinion, its a sad day when instead of engaging with people on the ground they resort to a fine and case closed !(Then again they dont engage....Full Stop).

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: SRFCpaulie
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:33am
This ban is crazy!!! The problem is that a lot of people(managers and players included) feel the exact same way about LOI, they just don't have the newspaper column to express their opinions.

If any ex-LOI player or manager wrote the same thing, I'd presume there's nothing the FAI can do. It's simply journalism and they're not connected to any club

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net