Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52962
Printed Date: 03 May 2024 at 6:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Belfast Restaurant
Posted By: athlonecelt
Subject: Belfast Restaurant
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:51pm
Group of us staying in Belfast Friday week. Staying in The Clayton hotel(used to be Holiday inn ) on Ormeau ave
Can anyone recommend a nice place for a bit of grub for a group near here.

Replies:
Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:04pm
I was in both Deane's Meat Locker and Howard Street recently (they are beside one another, about a ten minute walk from the hotel). I preferred Howard Street, some of the others preferred Meat Locker, but they were both very good and decent value on the early bird.

James Street South is meant to be nice as well.

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:28pm
Houlihans buddy. Best spot in Belfast on Oxford Street, although as SD mentioned Howard Street is a lovely spot so is Flame literally next door I personally prefer Flame large Argentinian grill where the chefs cook the food In front of you fantastic range of local fish and meats.

James Street south has had its name for a number of years now, I personally wouldn't recommend Deanes it's not what it use to be! In my opinion.

If you're looking a fish dish.. Mourne Seafood, is the best place to go. Hard to beat, local fresh fish daily from Ardglass Kilkeel etc my local area!

Belfast has some excellent food at great value.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: An Tiobraideach
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:58am
Will you be staying in the city all during your stay?
I just thought I'd mention these few places where I've been to just in case you plan on visiting anywhere outside of Belfast City,and if you like your fish and chips.

Fáilte Restaurant,Falls Road.
Pretty upmarket but not too expensive,and this establishment was set up by former Celtic player Niall McGinn.

Bia,Cultúrlann McAdam Ó Fiaich,Falls Road.
Lovely place,lovely staff and great food.As well as that,they will speak Irish with you.

Michelles Fish and Chips,Ardoyne.
Fish is absolutely gorgeous here.

-------------
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:09am
Originally posted by An Tiobraideach An Tiobraideach wrote:

I just thought I'd mention these few places where I've been to just in case you plan on visiting anywhere outside of Belfast City,and if you like your fish and chips.

Pretty upmarket but not too expensive,and this establishment was set up by former Celtic player Niall McGinn.

Lovely place,lovely staff and great food.As well as that,they will speak Irish with you.

There is another Fáilte now above the Hercules bar at the back of Castle Court/ 500m past Primark its a well known bar ask anyone they'll point you in the right direction. Great bar too actually where my GAA tickets come from! LOL

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: An Tiobraideach
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 1:24am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Originally posted by An Tiobraideach An Tiobraideach wrote:

There is another Fáilte now above the Hercules bar at the back of Castle Court/ 500m past Primark its a well known bar ask anyone they'll point you in the right direction. Great bar too actually where my GAA tickets come from! LOL

-------------
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:01am
Cosmo is like a buffet style restaurant that is suppose to be good. Haven't been myself but have heard others talking about. Suppose to have plenty of variety.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Cosmo is like a buffet style restaurant that is suppose to be good. Haven't been myself but have heard others talking about. Suppose to have plenty of variety.

Is that a chain restaurant? If it is they are f**king horrible.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:50am
'Coco' is a great spot too

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:56am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Is that a chain restaurant? If it is they are f**king horrible.

Yeah, it's a chain. There is one here in Reading also. It's OK and no more than that.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:24am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Group of us staying in Belfast Friday week. Staying in The Clayton hotel(used to be Holiday inn ) on Ormeau ave
Can anyone recommend a nice place for a bit of grub for a group near here.

Pop in to the Pony Club while you are there for kulture and a chat with the locals.
#NoSurrender#IstandwithIsrael#TaigsOut#UlsterSalute

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:31am
Villa Italia near Queen's is nice. Good honest Italian fair and a business I would support as they were here in the dark days when many people wouldn't have dreamed of opening a business in Belfast.

James Street South mentioned above is good. As is Mourne Seafood bar. Pop into Kelly's and you will likely meet Olympic boxer Paddy Barnes who seems to be in there every time I go. (Drinking a coffee and having a chat)

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:40am
Cosmo in Reading is an abomination. Full of fat sl*gs with 7 kids hanging off their tits shovelling as much cold food onto their plate as possible.

If you like facial tattoos Cosmos is for you.

Given that state of the clientele in the Reading one god only knows what the Belfast Cosmos

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Cosmo in Reading is an abomination. Full of fat sl*gs with 7 kids hanging off their tits shovelling as much cold food onto their plate as possible.

Given that state of the clientele in the Reading one god only knows what the Belfast Cosmos

I second that,

The one in Belfast is over looked by TGI Fridays... When you look across chaos is unfolding.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:06am
Cosmos certainly isn't for aspirational young professionals like yourself and myself Byrner.

The thought of rolling out of it and going across the road to the Hope Tap Wetherspoons in Reading makes me feel physically sick.

The sense of desperation from the fellow punters in both places is contagious.

The day of the Germany game we had a Gatwick train to catch and my mate insisted we go into a pint in Wetherspoons at 9am. I refused. Not for people like us Byrner

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:09am

The last time I was in there we were getting a free feed so I was able to tolerate the rest of it !

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:10am

Cosmos certainly isn't for aspirational young professionals like yourself and myself Byrner.

The thought of rolling out of it and going across the road to the Hope Tap Wetherspoons in Reading makes me feel physically sick.

The day of the Germany game we had a Gatwick train to catch and my mate insisted we go into a pint in Wetherspoons at 9am. I refused. Not for people like us Byrner

Is Weatherspoons ever a great idea ?? The one thing I would say in The Hope Tap's favour is that it isn't The Monk's Retreat !

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:20am
The Horn in Reading...... went in there once and witness a chap catch and kill a pigeon in the yard.

Went in a second time and some drunken Mick Builder called me Calvin Klein because i was wearing a suit and started shouting at me across the bar angling for a fight.

Monks retreat never been. Some filthy pubs in Reading.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:20am

Clap

Cosmos annoys me particularly, the folk eating there are simply there for greet as for the same price they could have a decent two course meal in a restaurant with fresh local produce but N.o. They'd prefer to have portion after portion going from an Indian to a Mexican, finished with a French desert (x3) until they feel sick. You have to look at the clientele, walking in with the Air Max and latest Adidas tracksuit or McKenzie with the rose gold watch.

Ah jaysus, Wetherspoons... It's on its own platform, ding ding city. I don't believe you could call a Wetherspoons 'chef' a chef.... he's more of a Microwave expert. Horrible spots.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:21am
Fintan you seem to have misread the title of the thread. 
Belfast, not Reading 

Wink

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:24am

The Horn in Reading...... went in there once and witness a chap catch and kill a pigeon in the yard.

Went in a second time and some drunken Mick Builder called me Calvin Klein because i was wearing a suit and started shouting at me across the bar angling for a fight.

Sounds like you should leave and move to Belfast !

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:24am

I'm laughing at that LOL

Whatever is in Reading... there is worse in Belfast! 

Our family business is in Pubs back home, I remember about 10 years ago going with my father to a bar on the Newtonards Road at Christmas... I got greeted by a Christmas tree with christmas balls.. all the balls had faces of ex UVF soldiers who had been killed with a 8 foot photo of the Queen. 

Borussia although I've no plans to return home any time soon, or ever. Belfast sounds like an improvement on Reading! 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:36am
I would be back in Belfast at the drop of a hat Borussia. No place for an Irishman in this town. She who must be obeyed won't permit it though. Is addicted to her salary. When i do move back I will live in Ardglass and eat in VillaItalia

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:41am

I would be back in Belfast at the drop of a hat Borussia. No place for an Irishman in this town. She who must be obeyed won't permit it though. Is addicted to her salary. When i do move back I will live in Ardglass and eat in VillaItalia

We're all in the same boat...  LOL

As for Ardglass.... Fintan, really? 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:45am
I like Ardglass. More specifically I like the sea and it is the only commutable seaside town from Belfast that I would live in. Absolutely no way I'm living in Bangor or Carrick.

Once me and my crew had a bit of a scrap with the HOFA back in our teenage days....not sure if I can go back might get gunned down in a drive by.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:51am

I like Ardglass. More specifically I like the sea and it is the only commutable seaside town from Belfast that I would live in. Absolutely no way I'm living in Bangor or Carrick.

Once me and my crew had a bit of a scrap with the HOFA back in our teenage days....not sure if I can go back might get gunned down in a drive by.

I was brought up from 5 mins outside Ardglass, Can't say It would be high up on my priority lists! Never forget their GAA pitch. Although... you've Aldos (Another good restaurant for those heading to beautiful county of Down) and the Golf Course Clap

If I was to move home again being the North, Hillsborough would more then likely be my destination. We're destined to return to Wicklow or Dublin, no way I'm living in Wicklow.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:56am
Loads of fit milfs in Hillsborough granted....nice professionals like us mainly but no sea.

The sea is the kicker for me. Can see it from my family home in Belfast. Our places in Donegal and Majorca. My Polish property doesn't have a sea view and despite being the nicest pad....misses out.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:59am
By our places i mean places we holiday in on a regular basis.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:04pm

You're obviously not hanging out in the right places !!!
Should have come out for a pint with McShane and Quinn to watch the Bosnia game !

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:06pm

Loads of fit milfs in Hillsborough granted....nice professionals like us mainly but no sea.

The sea is the kicker for me. Can see it from my family home in Belfast. Our places in Donegal and Majorca. My Polish property doesn't have a sea view and despite being the nicest pad....misses out.

Makes perfect sense now, when I first arrived in England I believe living in Bournemouth killed my love of sea side villages in Ireland/UK. 

I could defiantly live on the coast in Croatia particularly Rovinj however Tyrella on a breezy day doesn't have the same appeal.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:15pm
I was sitting on the chair next to young McShane. Was sittin with a black lad. Him, Quinn and young Sweeney were at tthe end of the bar.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:19pm

I was sitting on the chair next to young McShane. Was sittin with a black lad. Him, Quinn and young Sweeney were at tthe end of the bar.
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 9:24pm
Ended up in The Allotment and Flame..Both lovely. Drank in Morrisons , Weatherspoons and Madissons...Great weekend.
The lack of heroin addicts in your face was great. The only homeless people i saw were foreigners / Roma types.

Will def be back

Posted By: Bohsfan84
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Ended up in The Allotment and Flame..Both lovely. Drank in Morrisons , Weatherspoons and Madissons...Great weekend.
The lack of heroin addicts in your face was great. The only homeless people i saw were foreigners / Roma types.

Will def be back

Ran into two people shooting up in McDonald's toilet in O'Connell Street.

Scary enough being in such a confined space with them.

I didn't wash my hands that time.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:14pm
They have a containment program in Belfast for addicts....A safe place where they can use....And then a very visible police presence in the main tourist areas. I didnt feel intimidated once.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:17pm
You went to Belfast and ended up in Wwtherspoons.....that's the equivalent of me going to home to see the holy father and drinking from an actual toilet bowl.

Glad you enjoyed yourself though.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 11:39pm
Yeah ha....It was incredibly busy in town around 6pm yesterday...Was never in a Weatherspoons before so wanted to check it out

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 11:43pm
Pity you didn't go for a few round the Cathedral quarter. Really cool area now but yeah, everywhere rammed this weekend. Flame is nice and the allotment is interesting looking. Some smashing restaurants in town these days. Glad you had a good time.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net