How much did Euro 2012 cost altogether?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52928
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 6:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How much did Euro 2012 cost altogether?
Posted By: ShaneS14
Subject: How much did Euro 2012 cost altogether?
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:13pm
Was too young to go last time but keen on going to France, been going to the games regularly since 2010 and became a ST holder this year, was wondering how much it cost last time and how much you'd expect to bring to France taking into account Travel accommodation food and all the rest?

Replies:
Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:38pm
The cost to my liver and pancreas was the greatest cost of all.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:47pm
Poland was dirt cheap for living, beer/food was for nothing. Probably spent €60/day
Logistics wise, probably spent €250 on flights/trains
Accommodation about €30/night
Tickets €120/game

Total for me (2 games, 7 nights) probably a little over €1k

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:48pm
For 12 days I reckon about €2,500.
3 tickets = 300
Accom= 500
Flights = 250
Internal Travel = 200
Then youd want about 100 quid a day. Obviously can be done cheaper but I'd imagine there'll be some expensive nights out, so will probably average around that.

Posted By: Terry Mancicni
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:51pm
Completely incomparable between the 2. food/drink/accomodation/train etc. France will be at least twice as expensive for most things. Better off just looking at France as seeing how you can save a few bob here and there. Lads were going for 3 course meals in Poland every night due to how cheap it was. France will defo be more of a self-catering job. Buying bread, cans, wines from shops and trying to save money in that way. As even when the Polish double their prices to make the most of the fans money, it was still dirt cheap. Reckon France will be quite expensive.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:57pm
France will be way more expensive than Poland. I was at the 3 matches but flew home after the Spain match and flew back for a night for the Italy match. I'd say in all that I spent about €1.3K in total. That was €360 for match tickets, about €400 for flights & trains, €200 for accom and the rest on food & drink.

I'll only be going to 1 or 2 games max in France but I'd say I'll spend a good lot more than I did in Poland.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:04pm
Went to Poland for all three and cost aroud €1300. Going again this time but im guessing the cost will be closer to €2,000 or more but worth every cent

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:05pm
France will probably cost double what Poland Cost easy. We were in Poland for 16 days and we spent about €2,500 for 2 paying for everything.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:08pm
In the same boat as yourself.. Definitely looks like it will be upwards of 2k if you're going to all the group games.. The amount of travel in this doesn't help at all

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:16pm
Was away for 15 days for Poland and all in cost me in the region of €1300 for everything.

Fully expecting France to cost me at least €2000 this time around.

Whatever your spending money per day was in Poland you can treble it for France.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:17pm
Food and drink prices in France are likely to be 3-5 times greater than Poland. There'll be no 4zl/90c pints in France that's for sure.
Supermarkets/Campsites will keep the cost down. Eating and drinking in restaurants every night will cost a fortune.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:18pm
Carrefour for cans, McDonalds for eats.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:23pm
Stayed in Berlin for the two weeks. flights 180, tickets 360, accom 200, buses to games 150, spedning money 800. Great that theres something to do every day watching the matches.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:24pm
I was in france last summer on a campsite around 2 hours from Paris and a pint cost 7 euro, so you could imagine what it will be like in the city's 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:26pm
I wonder if the costs of things in France deter people from travelling without match tickets - Poland was different because everything was piss cheap and many who went with no intention of going to the games.

-------------

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:28pm
Poland cost me about 1500. expect to spend around 2000 for the group stages in france but be trying to keep costs down anyway I can

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:28pm
Reckon the guts of two grand would sort you out. If ye stick in the cans and cheap take always over there. Barely drank in the pubs in Poland as the craic was always out in the squares.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:32pm
Poland cost me 2.5K for 16 nights but that was including 2 nights in Germany and 2 in Austria.

Thank fook for Credit Unions in this country

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:51pm
Lads I can't see how France will cost €2500-3000 for a fortnight. Double Poland (1.3-2k) is what is being suggested.

Here's what I was hoping for a fortnight in France:
Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)
Tickets €150 (hopefully all 3 matches)

Total €1250

Please clarify where I am under budgeting?

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Lads I can't see how France will cost €2500-3000 for a fortnight. Double Poland (1.3-2k) is what is being suggested.

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

Where in gods name will you get 14 nights accomodation for €250?

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:00pm
flights will be more
Accomodation will be more
Tickets will more than likely be double or triple unless you get lucky
Tenner on drink a day? Have you ever been to France?

No way could you stick to that budget

You are talking around 2grand for France. 
Probably a bit less if your a right mane ****

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:02pm
Ten euro a day on drink for one!!
You plan on going to any nightclubs?

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

3 tickets = 300
Accom= 500
Flights = 250
Internal Travel = 200
Then youd want about 100 quid a day. Obviously can be done cheaper but I'd imagine there'll be some expensive nights out, so will probably average around that.

That's my exact budget plan too.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by ShaneS14 ShaneS14 wrote:

I was in france last summer on a campsite around 2 hours from Paris and a pint cost 7 euro, so you could imagine what it will be like in the city's 

Not forgetting 'Tarifs nuit' !!!

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:21pm

3 tickets = 300
Accom= 500
Flights = 250
Internal Travel = 200

I'm thinking along the same for the three group games. You will be there for 11 days minimum so think €2,500 will be what's needed.....and even at that it will be basic accommodation, very unlikely to be direct flights and I think you would have to be keeping an eye on what you're spending.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:22pm

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

If your talking 250 quid for two weeks of food thats 18 euro a day, France is proper expensive even in fast food places, think a big mac meal cost me 10 euro there last summer, you'd be talking 25 euro a day for food id say and the same for accommodation 18 euro a day wouldn't do you I don't think especially when places will raise the prices during the tournament 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by ShaneS14 ShaneS14 wrote:

Drinking in bars all the time in france will definitely put the cost up. Was able to do it in Poland as drink was cheap but id say most lads be on cans when in france

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:28pm

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

Firstly, flights will definitely be more than €150.

Car, €300? Are you hiring a car or driving over? Now you realize how big France is? You'll be filling it up regularly when we're moved around from city to city. Also if you're drinking how are you going to get back to the car? Taxis/Trains/Buses.

Accom at €250 for 13/14 days isn't even leaving €20 per night accom? Now best of luck if you can find somewhere every evening in every part of France near to where Ireland are playing for that. 

Drink €150? That's €10 a day on booze, so before you've even started you've ruled out any possibility of having the craic and banter in a pub because €10 a day will get you one or two pints max.

Tickets, €150? You may not get the €50 option ticket, what happens if the only tickets you can get are Cat 1's?

I'm sorry but you're being incredibly naive.  

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:30pm
250 for accom in France for 10 days ? You sleeping rough ?

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

250 for accom in France for 10 days ? You sleeping rough ?

It's for 14 days he's going LOL

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

Car, €300? You realize how big France is? You'll be filling it up regularly when we're move<span style="line-height: 1.4;">d around from city to city. Also if you're drinking how are you going to get back to the car? Taxis/Trains/Buses.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Drink €150? That's €10 a day on booze, so before you've even started you've ruled out any possibility of having the craic and banter in a pub because €10 a day will get you one or two pints max.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Tickets, €150? You may not get the €50 option ticket, what happens if the only tickets you can get are Cat 1's?</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm sorry but you're being incredibly naive.  </span>

10 quid a day on drink?!

I could only dream of having that much to spend on drink a day.

Redman you definitely must be the one that have sudden bladder control problems when his turn to buy a round.

Unless you'rd on the piss on Mi-Wadi with Jihadists next summer 10 quid won't last you very long.

-------------

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:36pm
Cans, wine and bread will be the only type of meals here👍wont mind coughing up a bit on match day. Can alway skimp a bit on accommodation with a night camping here and there! And splitting taxis also.

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:36pm
650eur for 9 nights flew via London to Berlin.
We stayed outside the main cities in Gniezo near Poznan and Elblag about an 1hr from Gdansk and spent a night in Berlin on the way and on the way home.

Dirt cheap for food and drink got three nights in hotel @ Gniezno for 30euro a night.
Think the Sheraton in Poznan was about 400eur a night during the tournament.

We met Ronnie Wood in Heathrow on the way home, he lifted the gloom.
Got my photo taken with him going through security...nice chap!!  

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:38pm
Are prices off the beaten track not reasonable in France? I always thought people siad well I got a meal and bottle of wine for cheap, maybe that's quiet parts of the South of France??

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

Car, €300? You realize how big France is? You'll be filling it up regularly when we're move<span style="line-height: 1.4;">d around from city to city. Also if you're drinking how are you going to get back to the car? Taxis/Trains/Buses.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Drink €150? That's €10 a day on booze, so before you've even started you've ruled out any possibility of having the craic and banter in a pub because €10 a day will get you one or two pints max.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Tickets, €150? You may not get the €50 option ticket, what happens if the only tickets you can get are Cat 1's?</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm sorry but you're being incredibly naive.  </span>

10 quid a day on drink?!

I could only dream of having that much to spend on drink a day.

Redman you definitely must be the one that have sudden bladder control problems when his turn to buy a round.

Unless you'rd on the piss on Mi-Wadi with Jihadists next summer 10 quid won't last you very long.

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Where in gods name will you get 14 nights accomodation for €250?

I have found campsites that are €150-200 for 3 nights for 5 people. I.e. €15 pp a night.

Ten euro a day on drink for one!!
You plan on going to any nightclubs?

As I said, cans not pubs. I can manage to spend €10 on drink on a night out in Ireland - just cans. We won't be getting hammered every single day, we'll be driving.

Car, €300? Are you hiring a car or driving over? Now you realize how big France is? You'll be filling it up regularly when we're moved around from city to city. Also if you're drinking how are you going to get back to the car? Taxis/Trains/Buses.

Tickets, €150? You may not get the €50 option ticket, what happens if the only tickets you can get are Cat 1's?

I've found flights for €150.

Car will be split between 5. The €300 each for car is including all surcharges. Petrol will be split between 5. Plus tolls which will be under €100 each I'd guess.

50% of tickets for 3 matches will be under €150. If you say one Cat 4 ticket, 1 cat 3 ticket and 1 Cat 2 ticket that is still only about €185.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:11pm
Found flights to where? Bearing in mind you could see Ireland down in the South of France first.

You're gone over budget on tickets already, if it rises over to €185? 

Also, how are you going to get from the camp site to the stadium and back out? Parking will be more or less impossible? 

IMO each to their own but personally I think you are leaving yourself with little or no margin for error, for the sake of saving an extra €400/€500 and being comfortable. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:13pm
There's no way you're going to stick to that budget. Also, you'll be lucky to get any tickets at all, never mind CAT 4 tickets for 3 games. Vast majority of tickets in Poland were CAT 1.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

There's no way you're going to stick to that budget. Also, you'll be lucky to get any tickets at all, never mind CAT 4 tickets for 3 games. Vast majority of tickets in Poland were CAT 1.

My thoughts exactly, as I said each to their own and of course you can limit yourself to circa €500 (hypothetical figure) for accommodation for argument sake but it is impossible to budget for food/drink/match tickets imo. 

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

Not a bad budget plan, unfortunately the Euro's are not in Calcutta.

Back in the real world.
Flights will cost approx 300
Accommodation will cost approx 40e per night.
You might get a car for 300 - then you have to add in petrol and since all 3 group games are in different cities - that will add to your bill and then you will have tolls and parking too.
Food will be approx 400.

The Euro's a once in a life time opportunity and you want to go over there and enjoy yourself.

Personally I'll be looking at budgetting about 2500 for 9 nights.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

Not a bad budget plan, unfortunately the Euro's are not in Calcutta.

Back in the real world.
Flights will cost approx 300
Accommodation will cost approx 40e per night.
You might get a car for 300 - then you have to add in petrol and since all 3 group games are in different cities - that will add to your bill and then you will have tolls and parking too.
Food will be approx 400.

The Euro's a once in a life time opportunity and you want to go over there and enjoy yourself.

Personally I'll be looking at budgetting about 2500 for 9 nights.

Reply of the year LOL

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:26pm
1300 wouldnt be a million miles off. Hard to know tbh.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:27pm

Found flights to where? Bearing in mind you could see Ireland down in the South of France first.

Also, how are you going to get from the camp site to the stadium and back out? Parking will be more or less impossible? 

IMO each to their own but personally I think you are leaving yourself with little or no margin for error, for the sake of saving an extra €400/€500 and being comfortable. 

Oh no, don't get me wrong, i'll be bringing the emergency extra €500 with me.

But that's what I'm planning to spend and wondering why some are planning on spending so much more.

Yes, if tickets come to €185 its's slightly over budget but they might come to €125 aswell if you're lucky.

Getting to and from stadium will be a subject of debate, but that is the same for everyone. We're young and will have cans so will park on outskirts of city and will walk 30-40 mins if needs be.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:29pm
Your on holidays ffs.

You go to a nightclub one night and you#'d be paying 20e at the door and up to 7e a drink.

You could easily drop 500 on one night alone.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:29pm
Got a down payment on the camper done today, should come to 400 each for three weeks without petrol (no idea how much that is, i don't drive, but thatll be transport/accommodation sorted). Tickets hopefully; no idea. Food and cans shouldn't break the wallet, cheap wine and cans of their finest piss water will do me grand

Will be there for 2/3 weeks, hoping it'll all come in at less than 2 grand but prepared for the worst

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm
been checkin out cheaper hotels outside of the Host cities and they are workin out at €900 at least for 14 nights 2 sharing big problem is that their is very little chance of having just one base like Poland. We are looking at booking in Cities with HGV connections which will be more expensive anyone thinking they will last the group games on Redmans budget will be Eating, Sleeping, Washing and Drinking on the beach or car.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:39pm
Let's face it , you can get class sandwiches over there for 5 euro, a crate of 18 stubbies of kronenberg for about 12 euro , you can save on accommodation by crashing with the lads in a tent and if lads can use busses or share a car then expenses won't be high.

But then you meet stretchryan and his mob and they are off to a "party" and you lose three days of your life and end up going back to the wife trying to explain that everyone gets a second mortgage to pay off their credit card these days

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:41pm

Your on holidays ffs.

You go to a nightclub one night and you#'d be paying 20e at the door and up to 7e a drink.

You could easily drop 500 on one night alone.

Jesus you'd want to me more carful if your dropping that kind of money around

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 6:50pm

But that's what I'm planning to spend and wondering why some are planning on spending so much more.

Yes, if tickets come to €185 its's slightly over budget but they might come to €125 aswell if you're lucky.

Getting to and from stadium will be a subject of debate, but that is the same for everyone. We're young and will have cans so will park on outskirts of city and will walk 30-40 mins if needs be.

You need to do more research on France Redman. Very expensive country. You may aswell just add that extra €500 in now because you will certainly need it!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:07pm

Everyone will have different budgets for this. You have probably under budgeted but if you think it's possible to be done then fair play. Not everyone going to have the same plans for eating and drinking over there so no one's budget going to be the same anyway.

We rented a car in Poland and always just tried park somewhere on side of the road for free be doing same if rent a car in france.

Tickets is hard to budget for but good to know max you be willing to spend on them. If like 2012 different priced tickets for the games will appear on the resale portal in months leading up to the finals

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm
14 days on the cheap will cost you €2500.

Doing it properly €4000.

I spent about €5k for 4 weeks at USA94.

You do the maths.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:40pm

Flights €150
Accom €250
Car €300
Food €250
Drink €150 (cans)

Total €1250

I'm going for 2 weeks and my budget is twice that

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:43pm
I'll be setting no budget! Wouldn't be much enjoyment on Redman's budget but each to their own I guess.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm
Yer it will be a tricky one for sure cash wise .
Everyone knows their own budget and hard to stick to it our downfall is where to stay as this cost  is the most , not a big one for drinking until 4am so save there for sure . 

Hey bottom line you win some and lose some but to go to France and eat Mc Ds for 2 weeks and drink a warm six pack every day is not what you can call living . Spend a bit more and enjoy yourself maybe the right way to think but hey what do i know .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Yer it will be a tricky one for sure cash wise .
Everyone knows their own budget and hard to stick to it our downfall is where to stay as this cost  is the most , not a big one for drinking until 4am so save there for sure . 

Hey bottom line you win some and lose some but to go to France and eat Mc Ds for 2 weeks and drink a warm six pack every day is not what you can call living . Spend a bit more and enjoy yourself maybe the right way to think but hey what do i know .

Spot on Murph...but not everyone can afford it
As an ol' git like you I need a little comfort and good food....good wine will be plentiful and inexpensive

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:35pm
1800 euro for everything. 14 days.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:37pm
about half what france will cost

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

ou need to do more research on France Redman. Very expensive country. You may aswell just add that extra €500 in now because you will certainly need it!

I've been to France 7 times. It's not that much more expensive than here.

Campsites in rural areas, split price of hired car, cans. Keeps costs down.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I'll be setting no budget! Wouldn't be much enjoyment on Redman's budget but each to their own I guess.

Can I clarify again: It's not by choice. We are students. We want to do this as cheap as we can.

Posted By: BradyBaby
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:41pm
I Spent around 2400 euro on a 14 day trip. however included in that 14 day trip was 2 nights In berlin and 1 night in Amsterdam - the 1 night in Amsterdam cost about as much as the rest put together Clap

Posted By: Sligo Hornet

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

ou need to do more research on France Redman. Very expensive country. You may aswell just add that extra €500 in now because you will certainly need it!

I've been to France 7 times. It's not that much more expensive than here.

Campsites in rural areas, split price of hired car, cans. Keeps costs down.

Don't forget that with all major tournaments everything goes up in price significantly....even outside of host cities

Posted By: BohsinMunich
France is not a big beer drinking country. A bit like Italy.

In supermarkets such as Carrefour, wine can most deffo be inexpensive (large selection and quality)
beer less of a selection and you won't be picking it up from a fridge

A day drinking lukewarm cans is not something I would look forward to.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Doing it properly €4000.

You do the maths.

see you picked up some local lingo Clap

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:46pm
I can't stomach cans anymore tbh. Beer goes flat a lot quicker in them.

As for drinking lukewarm cans. I'd consider it if I was 14 years old at the back of the community centre disco.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:47pm
Drinking f**king wine for 2 weeks will kill us.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:53pm
Vodka is cheaper France, all I will need

Posted By: BradyBaby
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:57pm
What's the whiskey prices over there ? , for us real men Tongue

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:58pm
A mattress or 2 in the back of the van, fridge and ice for the cans, baguette with ham and cheese from the supermarkets and we're sorted for the 2 weeks! I'm a student too and don't have the money to spending over 2k. Each to their own, I gurantee we'll have just as good as any of yous so get of those horses.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

A mattress or 2 in the back of the van, fridge and ice for the cans, baguette with ham and cheese from the supermarkets and we're sorted for the 2 weeks! I'm a student too and don't have the money to spending over 2k. Each to their own, I gurantee we'll have just as good as any of yous so get of those horses.

Well said lad. We will have an unreal time please God as we are relatively care free too. We can get by only spending half of what they spent. Will be a big family once we are there lads, doesn't matter how we do it! Smile YBIG!!!

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:13pm
I'm very disappointed by this thread. Not one of you have even considered the idea of hooking up with some French babe who has her own gaff. Is their no French version of tinder. Thought some of you would be well on top of this by now.

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:32pm
Think Poland came to € 1700 or so for me (never really looked, or wanted to look, too closely LOL) , but imagine double that for France. Fair play to all the lads doing it on a budget, most of us started off doing something similar too, but no point about being naiive about it either, Redman's budget looks too tight to me, even doing it on the cheap. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:35pm
Ya can get a decent bottle of white in Carrefour for 1 Euro, 15 Euro get ya 2 bottles a day, that il get the engine going rightly, could even go to Amsterdam do some importing/exporting

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Think Poland came to € 1700 or so for me (never really looked, or wanted to look, too closely LOL) , but imagine double that for France. Fair play to all the lads doing it on a budget, most of us started off doing something similar too, but no point about being naiive about it either, Redman's budget looks too tight to me, even doing it on the cheap. 

Agree, by all means do a budget but then add 20% and you'll be ok.

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:57pm
Anyone doing the trip in a car or van or camper should check out www.wildcamping.co.uk . Might help on costs when spinning around . I plan to use some of the locations when we find out our destinations .

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:03pm

High horses Confused

TBH i couldn't give a toss if you were staying in a skip for two weeks as it makes no odds to me, Redman asked for advice and was given it so I don't know why you think anyone is on a high horse. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Ya can get a decent bottle of white in Carrefour for 1 Euro, 15 Euro get ya 2 bottles a day, that il get the engine going rightly, could even go to Amsterdam do some importing/exporting

I'm not sure what you would classify as good wine .
I wouldn't put a paint brush in a 1e bottle of wine.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:11pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Can I clarify again: It's not by choice. We are students. We want to do this as cheap as we can.

Good man

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm

He must on the €1 wine judging by his maths LOL

€1 gets you one decent bottle of wine and €15 would get you two bottles LOL

-------------

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I'm very disappointed by this thread. Not one of you have even considered the idea of hooking up with some French babe who has her own gaff. Is their no French version of tinder. Thought some of you would be well on top of this by now.
Of all the nations of europe, France is probably one of a very few I've no contacts for Ouch (though did once live with a french burd who also had a mate who'd easily pass for model material but she fkn hated me cause I was always drunk)   I've already considered making a trip over in May to a few locations where games will be and going on an all out woman hunt for exactly as you've said Clap

Though the golden rule is make sure Deco stays at home as we dont want them saying, "No means no Deco, no means NO, NO means no Deco, no means NO" LOL

-------------

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:20pm

Lol yeah meant to type 14. But I sh*t you not was a decent bottle of wine, sure lidl does a drinkable bottle for 2.79 over here. comparative advantages are all that!

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:39pm

Ya can fcuk off if you think Im bringing the horse to France !!!

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 11:17pm
I think it cost me in the region of €1200-1500. That included 10 days over there, flights, hotels (~€30 for a double) and general living expenses. didn't get pissed once which i guess kept the cost down.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 11:29pm

I hate when that happens. Necking a 1e bottle of wine and it goes straight to the head ,and end up splashing out 14 on the second bottle. Has been an Irishmans downfall many a time in France.

Posted By: ObserwatorPZPN
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 11:32pm
Cost of Euro 2016 for fans will depend of how it will go regarding terrorism in France. If it will be quiet till the summer then obviously will be very expensive as Paris, and most France regions starting high season in june and will be packed regardless the Euros.
If there will be other attacks and constant threatening then, for first, many of the potenial non-football related tourist will give it up and many usual fooball travelers will surely choose comfort of the sofa instead of jihadi style clash or sth.
Then prices can go radiculously down (as in Egipt and lesser extent- Tunisia for example). But then again not many people will take advantage.

I personaly think about driving. Not that far away and interesting road trip through Germsmany. Got family friends in Paris so might be handy to sleep for free and also have local guides who help you to avoid the worst tourist traps. 
Closer to German border we play the better. Can even sleep in some german motel in some small city/off motorway, got sausage on the breakfast and leave early for the games.
In this scenario tickets for the game will be hardest for budget and also hard to get as demand might be overwhelming (still depend on the situation with terrorism).
If you drive you can`t drink too much so obvious saving here :). Petrol equaly or little bit more expensive.
Probably around february/march we will start serious preparations.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 12:16am
High season is not June.   In fact last year my brother got 2 weeks half price and an extra week free on a camping site in June.   France holidays in August.   

Lived in France for nearly a year.   Dijon. Between Lyon and Paris.   

Have inter railed around France too and been there for two Ireland games in paris..

As a result love to see Bordeaux and Toulouse.

Oh never calculated how much the trip to Poland cost. ,

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 1:07am

Ya can fcuk off if you think Im bringing the horse to France !!!

Ok, so who's gonna rent one off a local farmer and ride it into town with the flag flying (no piebalds..) LOLLOL

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 1:24am
Reckon about 1000 /1200€, drove up from Austria,night in Berlin,based ourselves in Gdansk for most of the trip in a campsite but opted for the luxury of a Sopot hotel for the last few nights and spent a night in Gniezno.

France will obviously cost more, renting apartments, trains,buses, more expensive booze etc.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 6:01am
Think it cost me about 1500 for 11 days

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:08am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think it cost me about 1500 for 11 days

It nearly cost them 2 turtles their lives tho!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Doing it properly €4000.

You do the maths.

see you picked up some local lingo Clap
You have to do the" Mathes ", hey my lingo is better than yours even thou i can't spell Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 1:52pm

High horses Confused

TBH i couldn't give a toss if you were staying in a skip for two weeks as it makes no odds to me, Redman asked for advice and was given it so I don't know why you think anyone is on a high horse. 

Don't think he meant it like that.

Some were telling us we won't enjoy it on a low budget which isn't correct. Thanks to all for input and advice. :)

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Got a down payment on the camper done today, should come to 400 each for three weeks without petrol (no idea how much that is, i don't drive, but thatll be transport/accommodation sorted). Tickets hopefully; no idea. Food and cans shouldn't break the wallet, cheap wine and cans of their finest piss water will do me grand

Will be there for 2/3 weeks, hoping it'll all come in at less than 2 grand but prepared for the worst

400e each for 3 weeks in a campervan?

My only experience of a campervan was in Poland and I think it worked out about 500 a week with everything included.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 5:10pm
Campervan and supermarket for cans and food be the way to keep the costs down. Otherwise I imagine it will cost a fortune.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

400e each for 3 weeks in a campervan?

My only experience of a campervan was in Poland and I think it worked out about 500 a week with everything included.

Yeah came to roughly 3 grand between 7 of us

-------------

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 12:57am
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-fans-get-in-gear-for-1-000-km-roadtrip-to-euro-2016-1.2433831

Stein Travel said here they could have a package for 10 nights 999Euro including flights, Accommodation, and Match Transfers, I'd say that's a complete underestimation but great if true  

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 9:27am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-fans-get-in-gear-for-1-000-km-roadtrip-to-euro-2016-1.2433831

Stein Travel said here they could have a package for 10 nights 999Euro including flights, Accommodation, and Match Transfers, I'd say that's a complete underestimation but great if true  

Not good for the Irish Times..he should have checked the Uefa site at least and seen that we're not guaranteed position 4 in the group.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Are prices off the beaten track not reasonable in France? I always thought people siad well I got a meal and bottle of wine for cheap, maybe that's quiet parts of the South of France??

There cheap enough. I remember drinking €2 bottles of wine under the eiffle tower before the playoff back in 09

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

There cheap enough. I remember drinking €2 bottles of wine under the eiffle tower before the playoff back in 09

Sure i was in Paris last year and i went for the fancy wine cause i'm not a wine drinker and didn't want to be disgusted by it, so i went for the €3 wine

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:31pm
Flights from Shannon to Stansted to Tours on the 9th and back the same way on the 23rd for €160 return. Tours is an ideal location (before knowing the draw) as it is in central France and there will be no 10 hr drives to the first venue. Halfway between Bordeaux (3.5hrs) and Paris (2.5hrs) and I make it there is a 9/18 or 50% chance our first game is in Paris or Bordeaux.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:34pm
It's 5/12.chance. 2.games in Bordeaux and 3 in Paris.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net