Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 2:43pm
22 years ago today ..

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Replies:
Posted By: greengooner
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 2:51pm
Thanks for that BB!

That was an "intense" game to say the least......IIRC I remember the devastation in George Hamilton's voice when he smacked it home....LOLLOLLOLLOL 

I vaguely remember pints 6 and 7, then after that...it all got a bit messy to say the least.....EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Alan, Alan....who the **** is Alan?

-------------
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 2:55pm
Very bad atmosphere at that one, probably the most hostile we ever faced.

Wasn't a great game of football and we didn't play well, but neither did they. 1-1 was a fair result.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 2:57pm
And then we had to watch the last few mins from Seville hoping the Danes wouldnt score.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

And then we had to watch the last few mins from Seville hoping the Danes wouldnt score.

Yes, the Spain game went on for a good five minutes longer and worse still, the Danes were still putting Spain under ferocious pressure right until the final whistle (Spain were down to 10 men and barely hanging on).

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:02pm
I think a paper the next day had a pic of both scorers with the caption -
HERO and HIERRO

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Killowen Celtic
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:03pm
http://mattleslie74.weebly.com/blog/and-somewhere-a-football-match-took-place" rel="nofollow - http://mattleslie74.weebly.com/blog/and-somewhere-a-football-match-took-place

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:06pm

I think a paper the next day had a pic of both scorers with the caption -
HERO and HIERRO

"Fernando Hierro is the Irish hero" was the headline Smile

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:08pm
Great night of football that was. Paul Bodin blowing it for Wales against Romania, David Ginola's overhit cross and Bulgaria's last minute goal to knock out the French. David Gualtieri scoring after 7 seconds against England.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

22 years ago today ..

God i remember watching it, was around 12 at the time. Good few changes since then in peoples lives i'd imagine.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:13pm

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:13pm
On a side note..had a browse at OWC forum today. They're a bitter bunch about us qualifiying!

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:17pm
Watched it downstairs in The Harp on O'Connell bridge after cancelling plans to travel due to the escalation of the troubles and the resultant lack of tickets. Place absolutely errupted when McLoughlin scored. Remember wearing the face off a real howya at full time before going up and dancing in the floozie in the jacuzzi and then going upstairs into McGraths where Murrays is now till the early hours. Good times. Think I still have the papers from the next day in the attic somewhere.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

On a side note..had a browse at OWC forum today. They're a bitter bunch about us qualifiying!

If they're such great, family-friendly fans why do they have to protect their forum? Can only imagine the bile

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

If they're such great, family-friendly fans why do they have to protect their forum? Can only imagine the bile

Which is why I, for one, am glad we can't get drawn into the same group as them. Would also prefer if the draw works out that they'll be in different parts of the country from us on any given day of the tournament tbh. We're definitely both gonna be in pot 4 tho aren't we? Thought I read that elsewhere on this forum.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:24pm

I thought at the time that game would never end, absolute agony that was.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:28pm
It's McLoughlin not McGloughlin. You look like a damned fool when you spell it wrong!

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:46pm
Seen that yeah, shocking

-------------

Posted By: An Tiobraideach
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:01pm
I'll always remember McLoughlin's goal-not only how great it was but the joy and relief I felt when it went in the back of the net-twas late enough in the game if I remember correctly.
Eddie McGoldrick was my favourite Ireland player at the time but McLoughlin instantly became my hero that night!!

-------------
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:11pm

Seen that yeah, shocking

And it was in 93 LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm

22 years ago today ..

Holy f**k making me feel old and I ain't 30 for another few months

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: tobymcclure
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:02am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Which is why I, for one, am glad we can't get drawn into the same group as them. Would also prefer if the draw works out that they'll be in different parts of the country from us on any given day of the tournament tbh. We're definitely both gonna be in pot 4 tho aren't we? Thought I read that elsewhere on this forum.

Thank god we did qualify though! once they did, we had to!! 

-------------
Row F, bird with the viking hat- check out the size of her b**bs            

Posted By: An Tiobraideach
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:11am
Didn't Steve Staunton score directly from a corner kick against them at Lansdowne Road in that qualifying campaign?

-------------
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:13am

Yeah in the home game v NI, about 3 mins in 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2qpdhI6BQ" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2qpdhI6BQ

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:32am
Originally posted by An Tiobraideach An Tiobraideach wrote:

Didn't Steve Staunton score directly from a corner kick against them at Lansdowne Road in that qualifying campaign?

He did indeed.

Interestingly, that game may have sparked off the foul atmosphere at Windsor six months later. When the Republic went 3-0, the Irish fans started singing "There's only team in Ireland". A bit cheeky maybe, but I don't think they meant any malice. However it seems the NI supporters were absolutely seething and viewed it as provocative in the extreme. The atmosphere in Belfast was horrendous but in the eyes of Billy Bingham, "the Irish supporters gave us some stick in Dublin and now they're getting some stick back". In reality it was a night of sectarian bigotry.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:43am
As there was no tv coverage in England I listened to this game on a crackling connection on RTE in my brothers car radio in Sunderland .
His neighbours were most bemused when we running up and down the street celebrating the famous goal.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:53am
Why changed to '94 ??!! Mods are taking the piss here

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:11am

Why changed to '94 ??!! Mods are taking the piss here
Sorted

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

He did indeed.

Interestingly, that game may have sparked off the foul atmosphere at Windsor six months later. When the Republic went 3-0, the Irish fans started singing "There's only team in Ireland". A bit cheeky maybe, but I don't think they meant any malice. However it seems the NI supporters were absolutely seething and viewed it as provocative in the extreme. The atmosphere in Belfast was horrendous but in the eyes of Billy Bingham, "the Irish supporters gave us some stick in Dublin and now they're getting some stick back". In reality it was a night of sectarian bigotry.

That chant was only a football chant but yes it didn't help and it was returned with interest after Jimmy Quinn's goal.

Other factors were the efforts by the FAI to get the game moved.  England was muted and there was a rumour it was to be played in Munich. 

It was also an incredibly tense time in NI.  Greysteel and the Shankhill Road bombings had just happened and there were real fears of more sectarian tit for tat killings.  The IRA/INLA had also targeted 2 other NI home games in the previous decade.  

There is no doubt it was a tense atmosphere and there was plenty of sectarianism such as "fenian bastards", Billy Boys etc.  However this was totally overblown at the time.  I didn't realise how bad it was until I got back to work in Galway the following day.  I was in the lower deck of the North Stand with the home fans and lost it completely when Alan McLoughlin scored.  However I was in no way threatened or harmed.  Indeed the guy in front of me who had ben leading the chants looked pretty sheepish.  

The big factor was most people here though NI would want us to win and would let us win.  The whole country was watching not just football fans. 

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
Awful game, unbearable tension, unbridled joy when Alan Who scored and more brown jocks waiting on Spain to hang on.

Did give rise however to Declan O'Brien's masterpiece monologue on the occasion 👏👏😀

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:54am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Awful game, unbearable tension, unbridled joy when Alan Who scored and more brown jocks waiting on Spain to hang on.

Did give rise however to Declan O'Brien's masterpiece monologue on the occasion 👏👏😀

Hopefully a certain ybigger will give it an airing in France for us next year Wink

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:32am
What a night that was. Even in all the big nights and games since, I don't remember tension like the second half of that game and waiting for the result in Spain. It was absolute torture. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Danes had equalised late on against Spain, it didn't matter to Spain as the draw would have done them? I remember thinking 'those Spanish c*nts will have heard our result and won't try a leg in the last few mins'. Thank christ they did!!

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

What a night that was. Even in all the big nights and games since, I don't remember tension like the second half of that game and waiting for the result in Spain. It was absolute torture. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Danes had equalised late on against Spain, it didn't matter to Spain as the draw would have done them? I remember thinking 'those Spanish c*nts will have heard our result and won't try a leg in the last few mins'. Thank christ they did!!
Yeah, Spain only needed a draw.  Zubizaretta was sent off early on, Canizares came on and had an unbelievable game. Hierro got the all important goal. I believe that Spain where a bogey team for Denmark at the time. I saw the highlights of that game recently and Denmark put serious pressure on Spain.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:34pm

Interestingly, that game may have sparked off the foul atmosphere at Windsor six months later. When the Republic went 3-0, the Irish fans started singing "There's only team in Ireland". A bit cheeky maybe, but I don't think they meant any malice. However it seems the NI supporters were absolutely seething and viewed it as provocative in the extreme.

What our fans sang is correct. We just reminded the brits in green (or purple) of that fact. Not our fault if they couldn't take it.

The atmosphere at the game in the UK was purely because of the multiple terrorist incidents in the weeks up there beforehand. It was Bingham's last game in charge, so they were never going to surrender to us. We had to go up there and earn the result to put us through.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

He did indeed.

That chant was only a football chant but yes it didn't help and it was returned with interest after Jimmy Quinn's goal.

Other factors were the efforts by the FAI to get the game moved.  England was muted and there was a rumour it was to be played in Munich. 

It was also an incredibly tense time in NI.  Greysteel and the Shankhill Road bombings had just happened and there were real fears of more sectarian tit for tat killings.  The IRA/INLA had also targeted 2 other NI home games in the previous decade.  

There is no doubt it was a tense atmosphere and there was plenty of sectarianism such as "fenian bastards", Billy Boys etc.  However this was totally overblown at the time.  I didn't realise how bad it was until I got back to work in Galway the following day.  I was in the lower deck of the North Stand with the home fans and lost it completely when Alan McLoughlin scored.  However I was in no way threatened or harmed.  Indeed the guy in front of me who had ben leading the chants looked pretty sheepish.  

The big factor was most people here though NI would want us to win and would let us win.  The whole country was watching not just football fans. 

On the other hand, there were the monkey chants for Paul McGrath and Terry Phelan (completely audible on TV) and McGrath said in his autobiography it was by far the worst atmosphere he had ever encountered in his entire career. I'm convinced the NI fans turned up with the sole reason of watching their team stop the Republic qualifying, there was a real negative energy to the evening and there was nothing of the normal local derby about it (it was more akin to the Serbia - Albania clash last year).

Undoubtedly the recent atrocities fuelled up the tension and the bad atmosphere, I think the Shankill Road bombings and the Greysteel massacre had happened shortly beforehand. Bingham of course was reckless in the extreme in cranking up the tension in the days before the game and during the match itself. He single handedly destroyed his reputation that night. Most people in the Republic up until then viewed him as a kindly grandfather figure smoking his pipe who had performed miracles with NI. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:57pm

Apparently Spain were under the impression that NI and the Republic were friendly and that the north would allow the ROI to win. This was the real reason they went all out for the win. There's a brilliant article about that night, not just the Belfast game but all the qualifiers played that evening, one of the best football articles I've ever read :

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:03pm

Apparently Spain were under the impression that NI and the Republic were friendly and that the north would allow the ROI to win. This was the real reason they went all out for the win. There's a brilliant article about that night, not just the Belfast game but all the qualifiers played that evening, one of the best football articles I've ever read :
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993" rel="nofollow -
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

was just going to post this article, fantastic read Clap something you would never get again with all the playoffs

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

As there was no tv coverage in England
I watched it in a packed pub in London.
One of the very first Setanta broadcasts.

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Yeah, Spain only needed a draw.  Zubizaretta was sent off early on, Canizares came on and had an unbelievable game. Hierro got the all important goal. I believe that Spain where a bogey team for Denmark at the time. I saw the highlights of that game recently and Denmark put serious pressure on Spain.
Danes had just won the Euros so it was a great result to get out of the group

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Won it after not qualifying originally due to Yugoslavia not competing. Still think that was our best chance at winning a tournament had we qualified, team was at it's peak and was better than Denmark in my opinion. Finals still only had 8 teams in it back then. Never should have finished behind England, should have beaten them at Wembley, threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 15 minutes away to Poland and that boz eyed little prick Dennis Wise punched the ball in away to Turkey to give them a one nil win over there. Such a shame we didn't make it.

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
Yes we could have won Euro92.

Only decent team that year were the Dutch who bottled it against the Danes, van Basten missing a penalty.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Won it after not qualifying originally due to Yugoslavia not competing. Still think that was our best chance at winning a tournament had we qualified, team was at it's peak and was better than Denmark in my opinion. Finals still only had 8 teams in it back then. Never should have finished behind England, should have beaten them at Wembley, threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 15 minutes away to Poland and that boz eyed little prick Dennis Wise punched the ball in away to Turkey to give them a one nil win over there. Such a shame we didn't make it.

England were so jammy in qualifying but while we had a pretty good team, we were our own worst enemies at times, not just Ray Houghton blowing that chance at Wembley and wasting a 2-goal lead in Poland but there was also our failure to beat Poland on an awful pitch at Lansdowne Road.

Such a shame because I'd say we would have got our act together and made a decent go at the tournament.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:37pm
It was a very different Poznan back in 1991 compared to 2012.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:53pm

England were so jammy in qualifying but while we had a pretty good team, we were our own worst enemies at times, not just Ray Houghton blowing that chance at Wembley and wasting a 2-goal lead in Poland but there was also our failure to beat Poland on an awful pitch at Lansdowne Road.

Such a shame because I'd say we would have got our act together and made a decent go at the tournament.

We failed to win a single one of the four games against England or Poland, and that is what cost us.

England ran out of luck though two years later with Graham Taylor's infamous "Do I not like that" whilst we had a touch of fortune in getting through to the USA in the way we did.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:04am
The draw at home to the Poles done us. They came here with no intention of winning the game, and the keeper was down every couple of minutes to waste more time to get their point.

Ireland and England got draws in Poland. England beat them at home on the first day of the group. We didn't. The extra point made the difference.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It was a very different Poznan back in 1991 compared to 2012.

How so ?

The city or the fans ?

Heard there was trouble.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The draw at home to the Poles done us. They came here with no intention of winning the game, and the keeper was down every couple of minutes to waste more time to get their point.

Ireland and England got draws in Poland. England beat them at home on the first day of the group. We didn't. The extra point made the difference.

Though you could argue failing to finish England off at Wembley was just as bad : we were all over them and could have won 3-1.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 2:03am

We failed to win a single one of the four games against England or Poland, and that is what cost us.

England ran out of luck though two years later with Graham Taylor's infamous "Do I not like that" whilst we had a touch of fortune in getting through to the USA in the way we did.

Can't say we were unlucky in 94 qualifying, had a perfectly good winner from Aldridge disallowed in Spain and got the results we deserved otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:16am

Sorry I meant itv/bbc etc.

It must have been jumping in the pub that night.

-------------

Posted By: greengooner
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:44am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993
ClapClapClap

Not only comedy gold, but historical gold.

I'd forgotten about poor old Wales that night. CryCry

Brilliant Article

-------------
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:56am

Poland home was really frustrating.  While we should have won that we had the game won in Poznan and gifted them 2 goals. 

I recall Poznan as being pretty grim in 1991 and the stadium was falling apart.  Other than that I can't say much.

Poland were denied a nailed on penalty when 1-0 v England which would have also put us through had they won on the last day.

I agree it probably was the peak of that team. For USA94 we started very well.  Great scoreless draw in Denmark in a cracking game in a cracking atmosphere.  Then had Aldo's goal disallowed in Seville (he was a yard onside) but again a decent point.  We battered NI in March. Denmark deserved their draw in Dublin and we were virtually through when we got the 3 away wins in the summer of 1993 in Albania, Latvia and Lithuania. 

We stumbled over the line though after that. Spain home was horrific.  Still we got there on goals scored having the same goal difference as Denmark.  We seemed to be heading for decline then but the three amigos appeared on the scene (Babb, Kelly and McAteer) and we had a great run in to America.  We beat the Dutch and Germans on their own patch in warm ups and then beat Italy in the opening match.  We were serious contenders to win the thing then.      

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

ClapClapClap

Brilliant Article

That's brilliant about Kostadinov not even meant to be in the country at the time he scored the goals LOL

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:27pm

Sorry I meant itv/bbc etc.

It must have been jumping in the pub that night.
English girl from work came with us that night, just for the craic, no interest in football at all.
Pub was so packed that she had to stand where she couldnt see the telly, yes young lads only wee tellies in those days, anyway when McLoughlin scored, an almighty roar went up that nearly took the roof off the place. She got such a shock, trauma to the ear drums, that she walked out and went home LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

ClapClapClap

Brilliant Article

Reading the article, I'm not so sure the missed penalty for Wales was the game changer that people think. It happened in the 63rd minute, meaning there was still half an hour to go and we know that Romania kept piling forward and creating chances for that last half hour. It would have been different if Bodin had missed the penalty in the 88th minute. Even if the penalty had gone in, there's no guarantee whatsoever the Welsh would have been able to hang to that lead......their defence on the night was looking very shaky.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:01am

Though you could argue failing to finish England off at Wembley was just as bad : we were all over them and could have won 3-1.

Not really tbh.

All the other results bar the Poland games, cancelled each other out. Don't forget we had to come from behind just to get our points against England, one of them very late on.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:12am
Responding to Gary Mc about Poznan in 1991...
It was quite an eerie and bleak place with lots of dilapidated buildings. The locals were quite guarded and reluctant to engage. It was a midweek game in a dreary old stadium. In retrospect I suppose they were still in the communist mindset. The change in 2012 was drastic.

As for trouble I don't remember much although there were stories of Poles fighting with the Police.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Not really tbh.

All the other results bar the Poland games, cancelled each other out. Don't forget we had to come from behind just to get our points against England, one of them very late on.

I still think we should have won comfortably at Wembley. The England goal was deflected right at the start of the match and then we were all over them for the rest of the match. Having said that, the fact that we couldn't win any of the four matches might suggest we weren't the finished article......I actually think the Mick McCarthy side of ten years later was a better one.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:06am
A nursing home that I used to work in are raffling the football associated with the 93 game against Northern Ireland when Ireland qualified for the 94 World Cup & the match programme & autographed photo of Alan Mc Loughlin. Tickets only €10.  https://t.co/TLgjtepLKa" rel="nofollow - https://t.co/TLgjtepLKa  

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 9:32am
https://twitter.com/4afmac/status/1375006494790459392?s=21" rel="nofollow -  https://twitter.com/4afmac/status/1375006494790459392?s=21

Awful news Cry

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 9:34am
Really, one of life's true gents. I was lucky to meet him twice. You just know he is a good guy.

Best wishes to him in his battle. f**king Cancer Angry

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:39am
F*ck that's very sad.

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:01am
He’s having a rough ride. Strength and power to him

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:05pm
His book was a good, honest read.  All the best Macca.  

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
Good luck to him in his health battles. Will always be an Irish cult hero. 🙌🏼☘️

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

His book was a good, honest read.  All the best Macca.  
He certainly came across in it well. He seems like a good lad and was a fine player, besides that goal. He is certainly well thought of by Portsmouth and Swindon fans.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:16pm
Jesus that's rough what he has. Poor lad and he's very nice in person. 

-------------

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

It's McLoughlin not McGloughlin. You look like a damned fool when you spell it wrong!

is this Billy Bingham s***ing out a video of Alan MCs goal that was shoved down his throat.

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:47pm
Passed away apparently. No age. Awful sad news. 

https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/soccer-former-republic-of-ireland-international-alan-mcloughlin-passes-away/" rel="nofollow - https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/soccer-former-republic-of-ireland-international-alan-mcloughlin-passes-away/

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Passed away apparently. No age. Awful sad news. 

https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/soccer-former-republic-of-ireland-international-alan-mcloughlin-passes-away/" rel="nofollow - https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/soccer-former-republic-of-ireland-international-alan-mcloughlin-passes-away/

Sad news

He’ll always be remembered fondly for that goal. 
RIP.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:03pm
Very sad news
RIP

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:05pm
Nothing official yet and only being reported by Galway Bay fm. His Da was from Galway. 

-------------

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:12pm
RIP

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:16pm
RIP Cry

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:16pm
Very very sad news. RIP. Will always be a legend for that goal

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:20pm
If true, very sad. His was one of the greatest Irish sporting moments. 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:21pm
Only Galway bay fm reporting it is a bit odd. 

Very sad, he’s had a rough few years. 

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:27pm
Very sad news, RIP. 

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:46pm
Awful news. RIP Alan.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:51pm
So sad.

RIP.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:21pm
RIP Alan Cry

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:27pm
RIP Alan.

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:27pm
awh lads that's sad. and him only releasing a statement very recently. RIP Alan. Who will ever forget his goal at Winsor Cry

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:34pm
RIP - only 54 too - very young to go but will always be remembered for his goal against the North.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

RIP - only 54 too - very young to go but will always be remembered for his goal against the North.

Unforgettable magical moment against the North forever etched in the memory.

-------------

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:44pm
Sad news indeed. His goal in Belfast led to many a party.

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:10pm
Just seeing this now. Poor lad.

Awful news. An absolute gentleman and his goal is up there with all our famous winners against Germany/England & Italy. 

RIP.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:00pm
RIP to a true legend of Irish football. Always delighted he got a real run after MM took over.

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:03pm
Awful news. Will always be remembered fondly.

-------------

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:06pm
Such sad news. Will always be fondly remembered, particularly for THAT goal. RIP

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:09pm
Sad i must say 

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:15pm
A big tribute deserved, along with big Jack, as soon as crowds are back for the next home game

-------------

Posted By: Jack City
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:19pm
RIP Alan

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:24pm
Tragic. Gave us an amazing moment we will never forget, but was by all accounts a great pro and a gentleman also. RIP.

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:37pm

A big tribute deserved, along with big Jack, as soon as crowds are back for the next home game

+1

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

+1

+2.

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:02pm
RIP

LEGEND

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:59pm
RIP Alan.

Came across as very brave while dealing with his illness.

Will always be remembered for that goal, but he made a considerable amount of caps also.

Sad news

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:15pm

Yes 100% would be great. Hopefully be some movement on crowds by September.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:21pm
Dreadfully sad. Horrible illness 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: nordlingen
Date Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:59pm
A sad day......RIP Alan....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net