Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52681
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?
Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Subject: Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:52pm
I overheard two lads talking about the Aviva, saying architects plans are there to put more tiers at the north end (old Havelock). Is it true that it could be made into a proper bowl with an extra smaller tier and corporate boxes etc? They said the IRFU and FAI had been buying houses behind the north end (and were now renting them out) and when they had enough they would apply for planning permission to finish it off properly????

Replies:
Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

I overheard two lads talking about the Aviva, saying architects plans are there to put more tiers at the north end (old Havelock). Is it true that it could be made into a proper bowl with an extra smaller tier and corporate boxes etc? They said the IRFU and FAI had been buying houses behind the north end (and were now renting them out) and when they had enough they would apply for planning permission to finish it off properly????

You're talking out of your HughJarse

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:00pm
No need for the extra capacity 50k is fine. The only time there is demand is when we play the like of Germany or if we're in a playoff. There won't be a sell out in the next campaign for instance. Wales might come close but won't sell out IMO

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No need for the extra capacity 50k is fine. The only time there is demand is when we play the like of Germany or if we're in a playoff. There won't be a sell out in the next campaign for instance. Wales might come close but won't sell out IMO

The rugby could easily get another few thousand more than we would easily

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
True but it's souless enough as it is when were playing the likes Gibraltar and Faroes and there's only 25k there. Would be even worse with only 20/25k in a 60k seater.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: ontheball
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:10pm
Makes sense in the long term. Due to planning problems in regards to houses behind the North of the site, the North Stand could only be built to the level it is now.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:12pm
Metro North will be running before the Aviva is extended.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:15pm
Yes but now that the recession is over if you look back at Croke Park Euro 2008 home qualifiers attendances

72,000 v Wales
71,000 v Slovakia
67,000 v Germany
and finally for a meaningless match
54,000 v Cyprus

I value everyone's opinion but just want to know is it actually feasible???

"Build it and they will come"

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:20pm
It's built . Not many of them come

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Metro North will be running before the Aviva is extended.
...and Baldrick will run the Dublin Marathon in under 3 hours before both of the above.

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
We only build 3/4 stadiums in this country. Imagine Croke park as a bowl . As it is it looks sh*te . aviva isn't much better..
To be honest though we need a smaller stadium with perhaps 25k with a sliding roof for friendly matches , smaller games other sports concerts etc.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:25pm
For the Rugby I would say probably. For the football no when you condiser they'd probably only have one game at most that would potentially get 50k+ in a campaign (Providing they get a Germany,Spain,Italy etc.. and not a Greece) or unless we're in with a chance with automatic qualification in the final home game or we were to draw the Poles again and be outnumbered at home again

-------------

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:28pm
I love LR despite the north tier. One of my favourite stadiums. I also like Citroën C3 Picassos though so I might have strange tastes. The fact that it isn't 'normal' appeals to me.

I agree with a smaller second stadium and would suggest properly renovating the likes of Dayler, Tallagh or something in Cork, the West or one of the meath towns.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:31pm
Ireland need a 35,000 capacity stadium for all but the big games. Bring back Eircom Park!  Dalymount rebuilt into a 35,000 would be class

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:31pm
could defo do with a 25/30k stadium for the lesser games esp friendlies 

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:37pm
What is the plan with dalyer or is it another pie in the sky job? How much will it hold?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:40pm
10k I think idea is for it to be ready by Euro 2020 so it can be used for teams training

-------------

Posted By: DavidMan
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:03pm
Really. They build a state of the art stadium and people are still giving out. Cry babies.
Regarding CRoke park the hill is a wonderful idea even if it doesn't look good. The atmosphere it creates is great and most people want a standing terrace but when there is one somewhere else depechemode you'll complain

-------------
We March On

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:11pm
Off topic but South Dublin county council have been quoted in the Tallaght Echo today saying that extra funds have been made available to build a 2.5k stand at the Square end of tallaght stadium...building to commence in 2017

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by DavidMan DavidMan wrote:

Really. They build a state of the art stadium and people are still giving out. Cry babies.
Regarding CRoke park the hill is a wonderful idea even if it doesn't look good. The atmosphere it creates is great and most people want a standing terrace but when there is one somewhere else depechemode you'll complain

It might have an atmosphere but the hill attracts some scum bags too. Planning permission would never happen anyway .
It has a fantastic history but it's still half finished looking. Aviva slightly better

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:30pm
AVIVA stadium is a bad design when you compare it to stadiums around the world. The pitch in the lower tiers is too shallow giving terrible views from the SS. The acoustics are horrific. I haven't seen a stadium where you cant hear the crowd down the other end nor the stadium announcer. Compare it to similar size stadiums like the Friends Arena, Schalke, Poland's stadium...  They offer better views from the lower tiers.

-------------

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:44pm
Its probably the worst modern stadium in the world

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:49pm
To answer the question yes the north end could be completed to make a full bowl . The way stadiums are designed in the last ten years is so that expanding capacity can be done so with very little work required to the existing structure . To complete the bowl shape you'd probable need 12 months . But a bit like the same situation as Croke park great idea , completely possible but very likely to never happen

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:05pm
It would be pointless. It was a very silly idea to rebuilt the stadium on that site. They should have tried to go to the Poolbeg Site just up the road.

The stadium was outdated before it was even opened. Concessions are a disaster, the views from the lower stands are a waste of a ticket, the north stand in its entiretly is a pointless excercise, there are only 2 big screens (which are not very big), it doesnt have a retractable roof, the exits from the centre of East Upper is a safety hazard. All of the exits on the top tier are quite hazardous if there needs to be an emergency evacuation.

The life-span of this stadium will be short

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:08pm
It's the worst modern stadium I've been in...No love for it at all...Actually it looks well on the outside and is deadly looking from the Point theatre

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:36pm
Not to mention the toilet entrances are cramped, not suited to the numbers of people coming and going at half time and generally encourage congestion and crushes. There should be an entrance and exit to every toilet but there isn't.

-------------

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:00am
I think municipal stadia were the way to go. Of course it's probably too late now.
It would have been great to have a 30-50k all seater stadia in Galway, Cork and Dublin.
GAA teams and our international sides and maybe even some of the provincial sides could play their games in them.
When public money was being handed out to the GAA making municipal stadiums should have been a condition of it.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:24am
At least Tallaght stadium went to Rovers despite the gaa and Thomas Davis trying to derail it a few years ago..

Posted By: The Fly
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I think municipal stadia were the way to go. Of course it's probably too late now.
It would have been great to have a 30-50k all seater stadia in Galway, Cork and Dublin.
GAA teams and our international sides and maybe even some of the provincial sides could play their games in them.
When public money was being handed out to the GAA making municipal stadiums should have been a condition of it.

I'm glad this didn't happen. 

Watching football in a stadium, when the closest seat is 20 meters from the pitch Ouch

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:36am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Not to mention the toilet entrances are cramped, not suited to the numbers of people coming and going at half time and generally encourage congestion and crushes. There should be an entrance and exit to every toilet but there isn't.

For a stadium built only a few years ago, the toilet situation is shocking altogether. How the feck they managed to design that aspect of the stadium so badly is beyond me.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:02am
Originally posted by The Fly The Fly wrote:

I'm glad this didn't happen. 

Watching football in a stadium, when the closest seat is 20 meters from the pitch Ouch

As opposed to being at the back of a poorly designed stadium? The new landsdowne Road ( I refuse to call it the Aviva as that's a marketing ploy and Aviva are a shower of bastards)
Is hardly a perfect design. Admittedly it wouldn't be ideal but there's plenty of country that do have running tracks around their pitches (particularly eastern European countries)

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:14am
We've had a loud and very good atmosphere for the games in this campaign for the first time in a long period. I personally can't stand stadia with a running track around them. My biggest issue with the Aviva is that the first two rows in the lower stand appear to be somehow slightly below the pitch. 

I'd be in favour of the north stand being completed. we could have good home support in that north stand and put the away fans miles up into the sky somewhere in a corner of the stadium, if only the brits hadn't torn up our stadium from above 20 years ago Thumbs Down

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: ontheball
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

For a stadium built only a few years ago, the toilet situation is shocking altogether. How the feck they managed to design that aspect of the stadium so badly is beyond me.

It must have been a design fault of European Stadia building of the past few years as the toilets in the Warsaw Stadium were even worse. It was Chaotic at half time trying to get into the jacks.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:15am
I do actually like the Aviva despite the poor acoustics. It looks class from the outside.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

It's the worst modern stadium I've been in...No love for it at all...Actually it looks well on the outside and is deadly looking from the Point theatre

Spot on

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

To answer the question yes the north end could be completed to make a full bowl . The way stadiums are designed in the last ten years is so that expanding capacity can be done so with very little work required to the existing structure . To complete the bowl shape you'd probable need 12 months . But a bit like the same situation as Croke park great idea , completely possible but very likely to never happen

There speaks a man who knows !!!!

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:22am
There is no way the FAI have been buying houses behind the north end. They don't have the funds to do that. Its possible the IRFU might be. It is their stadium. 

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:31am

Yeah but it looks fking ridiculous .....3/4 Champions league 1/4 united Sunday churches league

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

There is no way the FAI have been buying houses behind the north end. They don't have the funds to do that. Its possible the IRFU might be. It is their stadium. 

It's IRFU land but the stadium is split, bit of a strange situation really. It's a pure rugby stadium though. Seating not steep enough on lower tiers, way to many premium seats and in one of the most affluent areas in the country. 

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:55am

As a number of people have said it looks great from the outside but that's about it. The Nou Camp looks fairly sh*te on the outside however I know which stadium I'd prefer to have!

I wish we built something as good as the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Fans right on top of the pitch, seats tiered really well so almost everywhere in the stadium has a great view and then a retractable roof to really ramp up the atmosphere.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:56am

I've heard that the price that the residence where asking was one of the reasons is was never done then along with the light issues to the remaining ones  

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:04am

There is no way the FAI have been buying houses behind the north end. They don't have the funds to do that. Its possible the IRFU might be. It is their stadium
No its not.

To answer the question, of course the expansion could happen, but with the IRFU having severe financial issues and the FAI struggling I find it very hard to believe they are buying up property in D4.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">There is no way the</span><span style="line-height: 16.8px;"> FAI have been buying houses behind the north end. They don't have the funds to do that. Its possible the IRFU might be. It is their stadium. </span>

No its not.

To answer the question, of course the expansion could happen, but with the IRFU having severe financial issues and the FAI struggling I find it very hard to believe they are buying up property in D4.

It more or less is. The supposed "Joint Ownership" is only for 50 years then it reverts to the full ownership of the IRFU

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:13am

So people who own their apartments don't actually own them as there is a finite lifespan?

-------------

Posted By: bannerboy95
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:17pm
fai definately wouldn't have the funds to be splashing out on houses especially at the moment.....no need to extend the capacity in the aviva it is as fine a set up as any out there

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:04pm
Yeah, the toilets in Warsaw were also odd.... the frickin' doors! Who thought that was a good idea? The ones in Croker are excellent: a big entrance and a big exit, no doors, and just a chicane type deal so you can't see in from the outside. From what I recall, Gelsenkirchen also had opening and closing doors. It really is not hard to get right, so you'd wonder why it is so often got so wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:37pm

Yeah, the toilets in Warsaw were also odd.... the frickin' doors! Who thought that was a good idea? The ones in Croker are excellent: a big entrance and a big exit, no doors, and just a chicane type deal so you can't see in from the outside. From what I recall, Gelsenkirchen also had opening and closing doors. It really is not hard to get right, so you'd wonder why it is so often got so wrong.

In Poland there seems to be a tradition of having doors in public toilets.  At the airport you have to open a door to enter the sink area then open another door to get to the urinals.

It doesn't suit a stadium though and it was a disaster at half time trying to go to the jacks.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:41pm
If you build it.....they will come

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In Poland there seems to be a tradition of having doors in public toilets.  At the airport you have to open a door to enter the sink area then open another door to get to the urinals.

It doesn't suit a stadium though and it was a disaster at half time trying to go to the jacks.

Think it might be more a building regulation , but you're right doesn't work well in stadiums 

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

It really is. To have a blank sheet of paper and come up with that stadium is criminal. 

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

It really is. To have a blank sheet of paper and come up with that stadium is criminal. 

Not really a blank sheet the site had a few restrictions which affected the design. The Design has won a few awards as well . But i would agree they could have done a lot better 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:43pm
Definitely not a blank sheet. Restricted by surrounding buildings, the dart line etc. It was a reasonable job considering the restrictions they were working with.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:15pm
It's a 1,000 times better than the old Lansdowne and you know it. I can't remember people praising the jacks in that stadium, or the wooden seats that the English fans ripped up and used as missiles, or the weird wall in the middle of the North Terrace. 

The only reason the atmosphere is sometimes sh!te is when there's no fcuker in the place. There was nothing wrong with the atmosphere when Shane Long belted that ball past Neuer.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:44pm

It more or less is. The supposed "Joint Ownership" is only for 50 years then it reverts to the full ownership of the IRFU

What? Why would the FAI put themselves 50million in the hole? They'll just about have paid off the debt when the IRFU get it back

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:52pm

So people who own their apartments don't actually own them as there is a finite lifespan?

Correct. Long leases. Usually 99 years and the management company are transferred ownership of the land, structure and common areas upon completion / disposal of all units within the development.

However people who "purchase" the apartments usually become shareholders in the management company. This didn't always happen though particularly when developers went bust before developments were complete / sold.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:01pm

What? Why would the FAI put themselves 50million in the hole? They'll just about have paid off the debt when the IRFU get it back

Because the IRFU owned the land that the stadium was to be built on, and continue to do so

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:01pm
We've no need for more capacity. The reason it is like it is is to get the most people in with the restrictions that were there. The North Stand is lower to allow the sun get to those houses (ie through the gap). 

As someone said, with the restrictions they had (loads of houses, dart alongside), it's the best they could have done. 

People seem to be asking for two things at once here, steeper stands fo less capacity, but also increase capacity.

Posted By: Gryan
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:04pm
Can't see it being too high on the priorities list, the money would be better off being invested elsewhere in Irish football, plenty of infrastructure in dire need of it! 

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Because the IRFU owned the land that the stadium was to be built on, and continue to do so

Unlike its predecessor, which was solely owned by the IRFU, the current stadium is controlled by the IRFU and the FAI through a 50:50 joint venture known as the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company (LRSDC). The joint venture has a 60-year lease on the stadium; on expiry the stadium will return to the exclusive ownership of the IRFU. 

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:15pm

What do you reckon the sum total of the rent for the place over 60 years would be? At least when the mortgage is paid in 2020 (I know...) they make money off the place,

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:15pm
Its too big for football.  I would have preferred a 35,000 stadium that we could fill every game. Wales are playing their games in Cardiff City's ground and it has helped them rather than playing in a vast empty Millenium Stadium.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Correct. Long leases. Usually 99 years and the management company are transferred ownership of the land, structure and common areas upon completion / disposal of all units within the development.

However people who "purchase" the apartments usually become shareholders in the management company. This didn't always happen though particularly when developers went bust before developments were complete / sold.
Correct. But its still their apartment and they have ownership rights etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:17pm

Unlike its predecessor, which was solely owned by the IRFU, the current stadium is controlled by the IRFU and the FAI through a 50:50 joint venture known as the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company (LRSDC). The joint venture has a 60-year lease on the stadium; on expiry the stadium will return to the exclusive ownership of the IRFU. 

By the time this happens it will be time for the ground to be re-developed again and the cycle will start all over again i imagine  

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:35pm

Its too big for football.  I would have preferred a 35,000 stadium that we could fill every game. Wales are playing their games in Cardiff City's ground and it has helped them rather than playing in a vast empty Millenium Stadium.

I was saying at the time that it was too small when building it!I thought we could sustain Croke Park attendences...How wrong was I?!

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:42pm

By the time this happens it will be time for the ground to be re-developed again and the cycle will start all over again i imagine  

I'd say that was the thinking behind it. It also means the IRFU hang on to the valuable asset of the land. IF the FAI get their house in order over the next 55 years and make the league competitive and popular, they could look at building their own stadium for 2070! I wouldn't bet on that though. 

Posted By: tobymcclure
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:43pm
there must have been a novelty factor for watching soccer in croke park,
hence the big attendances.

playing games against smaller teams in a smaller venue seems like a no-brainer! i think it would lead to a more effective 12th man, loud and intimidating.......... plus it would be more craic!  

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:52pm
Why would they want to do that though? The setup works, they have a good relationship with the IRFU and have halved the risk.

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:58pm

We've had 3 sellouts this campaign out of 5 and are likely to get a fourth against Bosnia, it certainly isn't too big for football generally. But for the smaller games a 30,000 seater would be nice. it'd be good for the team to always have a packed house, even if it requires building another smaller house

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:14pm

Im shocked that you didnt know this.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Stonesy114
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:29pm
Would love to have a stadium like the millennium alright. By far the nicest I've been too and the best in the world in my opinion,, The fans are right in on top of the pitch

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:41pm

Not going to get into in on here  again as i think its in a thread from a few years ago but it's not financially feasible in CP.Also the overall capacity would be 83k (assuming they built the hill the same as the canal) it's current capacity is 82,300.Some people talk awful sh1te on here.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:55pm
Makes you a bit sick when you see the millennium stadium was built for 125m pounds and is an awesome stadium with huge capacity and retractable roof whereas landsdowne cost 3 times that and has an unfinished feel about it.

I'm glad we didn't build the Bertie bowl which might have been a nice stadium but it was all purpose so would have been a running track or huge pitch to accomadate GAA, wouldn't have worked.

What probably would have worked best in terms of the stadium itself was Eircom Park. That was going to be a 45,000 seater stadium I think. It was being talked about around the time Wales were building millennium stadium and if I rmemeber the cost was not so high. They'd be no doubt be making money off it now anyway! What was the main reason it fell through?

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Not going to get into in on here  again as i think its in a thread from a few years ago but it's not financially feasible in CP.Also the overall capacity would be 83k (assuming they built the hill the same as the canal) it's current capacity is 82,300.Some people talk awful sh1te on here.

would assume if they built it they would leave the bottom tier standing

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
Yes Eircom Park was correctly scrapped by Delaney because it would put the FAI in serious debt for years !!!

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

The hill would remain as is with the removal of the big screen and the upper tier section completed to make the bowl . This would push the capacity up to 90,000. To do this you would need to by the houses behind the hill with the train line incorporated into the stand similar to what's at landsdown road now . Yea financially it wouldn't be cheap but it's not like the gaa are short of a few quid .

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:53pm
Would mean taking the entire roof off and rebuilding it €€€€€€

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Makes you a bit sick when you see the millennium stadium was built for 125m pounds and is an awesome stadium with huge capacity and retractable roof whereas landsdowne cost 3 times that and has an unfinished feel about it.

I'm glad we didn't build the Bertie bowl which might have been a nice stadium but it was all purpose so would have been a running track or huge pitch to accomadate GAA, wouldn't have worked.

What probably would have worked best in terms of the stadium itself was Eircom Park. That was going to be a 45,000 seater stadium I think. It was being talked about around the time Wales were building millennium stadium and if I rmemeber the cost was not so high. They'd be no doubt be making money off it now anyway! What was the main reason it fell through?

Typical that in Ireland when we finally got our sh1t together to build a stadium, we did so right at the peak of a boom yet when it came to selling tickets our glorious leader turned down a third party offer that would have cleared the debt in one fell swoop because he thought he could make an extra 40 or 50 million selling them himself. Right when the arse fell out of the economy.

Eircom Park would have been built long before then only for Bertie Ahern putting every obstacle possibly in its way so he could get the FAI on board his vanity project. He even went to the length of throwing circa 40 million unprompted to the GAA just before an initial vote on the foreign sports ban in Croker when the FAI were looking to move bigger attendance games there. Needless to say the extra few bob prevented the motion being passed on that occasion
I'm certain Eircom Park debt would be less than the Lansdowne debt at this stage.

The original plan for Lansdowne was to turn the pitch 90 degrees like the did with the Millennium but a small number of residents wouldn't sell up which meant they had to build with a restricted north end. The stadium is crap down that end due to that. It looks decent from the outside but I'm not a fan. That said, view is fine from where I stand in the SS, No better or worse from behind the goal in anywhere else I've ever gone to games in. View from the north is awful due to the tiny number of rows.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 4:04pm
better to be in a smaller full house than a half empty big house .......... or as we are used to lately a half empty small houseBeer

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 5:59pm
They should have dug down to a level where the highest current part of the stadium would come up to the level of the North stand.

We would of then got a finished stadium and the resident would still get their light. It probably would have tripled the price but it would be a lot better!

What they ended up with is sh*te. 

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Bertie shafted the FAI. If Eircom Park, Croker and LR all existed then he wouldn't have gotten anyone to use the Bertie Bowl which was to be his 'legacy'. Suddenly you had the likes of the Air Corps demanding reviews because it was within 10k of Baldonnell and all sorts of blockages. The message was received.  In the end the PD's nixed the Bertie Bowl and the LR project had been priced and the IRFU realised they needed the FAI involved and they went that way.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes Eircom Park was correctly scrapped by Delaney because it would put the FAI in serious debt for years !!!
Was he involved back then? It was Bernard O'Brien's baby and Bertie squashed it.

It is an interesting discussion. Would the FAI have been better off with a greenfield site in Clondalkin or the situation we are in now which is a half share of a city centre location?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net