Print Page | Close Window

which ex international would you like to have a...

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52533
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 7:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: which ex international would you like to have a...
Posted By: liam_in_germany
Subject: which ex international would you like to have a...
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:12am
which ex ireland international would you like to have a pint with? and why?  or any interesting stories of having a pint with any?

mick McCarthy for me Smile

Replies:
Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 1:13am
sorry 'have a pint with` wouldnt  fit

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 3:06am
Jack grealish.....

Posted By: Eamonn68
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 8:44am
Mc Ateer or big Mick

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 8:51am
Roy,Denis or Packie 👍

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 3:26pm
Mcateer the craic you'd have and if you seen Jimmy White he could always get his attention

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 3:54pm
Was lucky enough to have a pint of coke LOL  (I was 16 at the time) with Kevin Moran in the Palace bar in levenshulme in Manchester whilst watching our WC 98 qualifier against Macedonia (the game we won 3-0 and McAteer scored a great goal)...
He was real sound and he bought me the coke Thumbs Up Just talking to him about his time at United, Playing for Ireland and winning an All Ireland, that for me would be the dream but doing it with Mayo of course but there's more than me dreaming of that...

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 4:52pm
We wouldn't be drinking anything stronger than lemonade, but big Paul McGrath. Fascinating life. GREAT player. 

Kevin Sheedy, Mick Mack and Kevin Moran would be up there too.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 5:09pm
Had a pint and a bit of a chat with McGrath before, he was in bad shape but was still very sound.
Had a pint with Jim Beglin in Mulligans one evening,think it was after the Wales game in Croker and he wasnt the complete t**ser I thought he would be.

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 5:25pm
Has to be Roy for the Wit and the Danger(excitement)

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:14pm
Was lucky enough to end up on the session with the squad in Seoul after we got beaten by Spain, generally all sound but Given, Gary Kelly and Niall Quinn in particular were great lads to have a drink with, really friendly and well able to handle the jar, some of the other lads were a bit messy on the roll over!

Had a drink with Giles a couple of times, absolute gent and a pleasure to talk to. First time was after his book launch and ended up in the old Berkley court with various ex players from his era, Mick Martin etc, all very nice. Bonner was there as well, very nice man. Had a brief chat with Brady, he was grand but a bit standoffish. Was fair enough, he didn't know me from Adam but the likes of Kelly and Quinn would chat to anyone.

I met McGrath that Friday night he was on a bad one around 2003 in O'Neills on Suffolk St early in the night. Sat with him for a while and got him a coffee, he was sh*t faced but was alright to talk to, was just very down. Still had a chat about his career and his young fella who was either on the books or had just been let go by Liverpool at the time. Had to leave him there as I'd arranged to meet a bird that I was going to break up with, think he ended up getting fooked out of Lillies that night and some coont took a picture of his having a slash on a side street which got splashed all over the Star if you'll excuse the pun.

Met McAteer, Babb a couple of times in The System night club around 95/96, both sound. Mark Kennedy was with them one night but he was acting the big time Charlie in there, came across as a dick but he was only a young lad at the time. McAteer was very funny, there used to be people handing out flyers for the DJ's playing the next few weeks as punters were leaving. First night he was in there he grabbed a load of flyers and was stood there at the exit handing them out. All these heads absolutely mashed on yokes coming out, taking the flyers and saying 'thanks mate' before doing a very confused double take and saying to their mates 'Is that Jason McAteer handing out flyers or am I seeing things?' or words to that effect!

Houghton is often about on away trips and is very approachable, met Cas after a home game on the street once but say he'd be a bit of craic to have a jar with. Bit left field but would actually like to have a chat with Mick Robinson, would be interesting to talk about how he became such a TV celeb in Spain.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:21pm
I could imagine McAteer handing out flyers and the reaction

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I could imagine McAteer handing out flyers and the reaction

Myself and a mate were a bit mashed ourselves and were stood over the other side of South Anne St pissing ourselves laughing for a good 5 minutes watching it!

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:14pm
Title of thread answer - Zvonimir Boban Cool

Or 

First post of thread answer - Alan Quinn, legend of a man Clap

Special mentions for Clinton as reckon he'd be the best craic and Joey Lapira just for the craic 

-------------

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:40pm
Served McAteer a pint in Newz bar on Water Street in Liverpool. He was on the pints with Robbie Fowler and Alex Navarro.

I'd personally like a pint with one of the Glasgow Irish to pick their brain about identity.

Have met Brendan Rodgers son in Reading and he informed me Shane Long was signing for Arsenal

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 9:38pm
Dunphy.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 9:41pm
Would have to say, David O Leary or Packie Bonner.

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 9:51pm
Giles/Chippy Brady/Ronnie Whelan

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm
John giles

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:49pm
Had a pint with StLedger in the Big Tree AllIreland Final day 2010...Sound lad. Chatted to Kilbane and McAteer in the Berkley last year for a couple of minutes, Kilbane is an absolute gent

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:51pm
Paul Butler.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:44pm
Many moons ago myself and my mate were in a pub in town where the whole squad were having a few post match pints. We got talking to Andy Townsend who was sound when Kevin Sheedy came over and asked what Andy wanted to drink. Townsend said something like "my shout" and headed off to the bar leaving us to bend Sheedys ear. Couple of minutes later Townsend arrived back over carrying a tray with pints for himself, Sheedy, me and me mate. Good bloke Townsend.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:56pm
Damien Duff. Seems a nice lad and a legend to boot.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:11am
Eamon Dunphy and John Giles.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:50am
John Aldridge

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 9:59am
Had a pint with Sheedy,Galvin & Whelan a couple of years ago at the 25th Euro '88 Anniv. in Dublin.
Three of the best left footers who put on an Irish shirt.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:30am
Got drunk with Houghton in London watching a Glasgow Derby. A true gentleman. Met Whelan briefly when he was in west Cork for a legends game, seemed to have time for everyone. Met McGrath when we were both having a bad day, was polite but I left him to it.

Kilbane is a legend I would love to have a pint with, seems like a gentleman. Sheridan another, I suppose they were my favourite players too! I have heard the craic with McAteer is mighty, the opposite of what I imagine it is with Dave O Leary. Quinn seems like he would be great craic too

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:47am
Terry Phelan

Posted By: HelloBarry
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by billybunter billybunter wrote:

Jack grealish.....

Big smileBig smileBig smile me too jack grealish! Beer

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Was lucky enough to end up on the session with the squad in Seoul after we got beaten by Spain, generally all sound but Given,.
what did given do?

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:01pm
Had a pint with Aiden McGeady and Darren O'Dea after the Euros. Strange experience. To say the two lads were devastated would be an understatement. McGeady just kept apologising to us.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Was lucky enough to end up on the session with the squad in Seoul after we got beaten by Spain, generally all sound but Given,.
what did given do?

??? Not sure if you're joking or picked it up wrong.

Sound lad, wound up arm in arm belting out a song with him on a table in Buck Mulligans that night. Himself, Kelly and Quinn were bang on in particular. He had his whole family around so was with them after. Ended up on the same table later that night / morning as Quinn and Kelly so chatted with them a lot longer.

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:29pm
Met Terry Conroy and Johnny Giles when I was a kid. Would love to have a pint with Kevin Kilbane.

Posted By: Greengunner
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:34pm
Stevie Ireland to ask him where it all went Wrong... :(

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:45pm
Would just love to have a leader. 

Posted By: Eamonn68
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

I'd personally like a pint with one of the Glasgow Irish to pick their brain about identity.

And end up getting schooled

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 1:52pm
Joey Lapira. I would just like to ask him how in Gods name did he end up fooling everyone into getting a cap.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: orourkeda
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:35pm
I'd love to go on the piss with Liam Daish.

He got booked for playing a toy trumpet whilst playing for Birmingham city

-------------
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Posted By: mickeyk6
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 1:01pm
Phil Babb & Mark Kennedy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net