Print Page | Close Window

Scotland vs Poland - What result do you want?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52385
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 3:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scotland vs Poland - What result do you want?
Posted By: ABFC
Subject: Scotland vs Poland - What result do you want?
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:59pm
A Polish win in Glasgow will secure us a play off before we even arrive in Warsaw and will be make the fixture somewhat of a friendly.

A draw in Glasgow will make it a bit strange. A win in Warsaw & we qualify automatically or do we play for a draw to send us both home reasonably happy?

Replies:
Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:02am
Poland to win so we can relax in poland knowing that we have a playoff spot secure and hope for the best in the draw

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:04am
Poland to win in Glasgow would be ideal...However I see a draw there
I see us drawing in Warsaw & that would be exactly what I'd take from that

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: CoffeeBean
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:11am
Scotland will beat Poland in glasgow. They stood toe to toe with Germany tonight but the result didn't go their way, they gave Germany a hell of a game!!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:15am
Large scale rioting to see both teams deducted three points

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:18am
Originally posted by CoffeeBean CoffeeBean wrote:

Scotland will beat Poland in glasgow. They stood toe to toe with Germany tonight but the result didn't go their way, they gave Germany a hell of a game!!

The Germans were definitely the better side though. 72% possession and had six shots on target to Scotland's two.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

The Germans were definitely the better side though. 72% possession and had six shots on target to Scotland's two.

Germany are world champions and easily the best team in our group but scotland went for it tonight and I commend them for that.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:24am
I'm quite shocked by the poll results. A draw would be the best result surely.

I rather we go to Poland and win and claim automatic qualification than hope for the luck of the draw in the play offs.

We have a chance right now why not try and take it?

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

I rather we go to Poland and win and claim automatic qualification than hope for the luck of the draw in the play offs.

I'd really only want to answer the poll question if I already knew the Ireland - Germany result. At the moment, we're just guessing what would be a good outcome.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:27am

You must be mental to think anything other than a Polish win is good for us. If they have to get a win in Warsaw as a result of drawing in Glasgow they will get it. Poland winning is the ideal scenario for us

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:31am

Nah, a draw for Scotland means we absolutely have to get something from the Germany or Poland games. Tonight we struggled to beat Georgia, I think we've reached our final points total for the group.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:32am
Well look at it like this if Poland win there through. A point for us against Germany and Poland is all to play for in Warsaw if they draw

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Nah, a draw for Scotland means we absolutely have to get something from the Germany or Poland games. Tonight we struggled to beat Georgia, I think we've reached our final points total for the group.

We haven't beaten a top team at home for 14 years and we haven't beaten a top team away for 28 years and with this current set-up I don't see that changing.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:36am
Like O Neill said its in our own hands and not depending on results elsewhere. Scotland will take something from Poland or there gone

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:38am
I'm pretty sure we won't lose our last two games. We'll pick up one point minimum, maybe more.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:38am

A point for us against Germany

Yeah, that should be straight forward enough. Why settle for just a point though?

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

A point for us against Germany

Yeah, that should be straight forward enough. Why settle for just a point though?

Of course it won't be straight forward but we managed it already. A win makes things easier LOL

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:43am
If we can draw with Germany, a draw in Glasgow will obviously suit best, as we would be guaranteed third spot and would have a free swipe at Poland for second place. But if we lose as expected when Germany roll into town, clearly a Polish win would be best. Pity both games will be on at the same fine.
Not in the poll, but under no circumstance do we want a Scottish win.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

If we can draw with Germany, a draw in Glasgow will obviously suit best, as we would be guaranteed third spot and would have a free swipe at Poland for second place. But if we lose as expected when Germany roll into town, clearly a Polish win would be best. Pity both games will be on at the same fine.
Not in the poll, but under no circumstance do we want a Scottish win.

A Scotland win and we'll probably see the back on Martin O Neill, so not all bad.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

If we can draw with Germany, a draw in Glasgow will obviously suit best, as we would be guaranteed third spot and would have a free swipe at Poland for second place.

That's what i'm saying. Still reckon we can get at least a draw. Keep it narrow, flood the midfield and leave Long up on his own

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:55am
Germans need a point to qualify. Gentlemen's agreement and all that. I'll take a draw between Buckie and Tyskie and take our chances in Warsaw.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:58am
Scotland will beat Poland in glasgow, will be a cracking game I bet. 

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:59am
Us to draw against Germany and Poland to draw against Scotland. Scotland are out, we have a free shot at Poland to try and take automatic qualification from them with no pressure whatsoever on us. That's the dream

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:30am
Scotland are in the driving seat here, 

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:31am

I'm not so sure. I see the Scottish fans are talking up the fact that they 'only' have to beat Poland in order to get third place, but a defeat in Glasgow would be a very bad result for the Poles and could even leave them at risk of complete non qualification, never mind a play off spot. I reckon Poland will really go for this one and try and win it.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:42am
Poland will go out to win in Glasgow but I think scotland will get the 3 points. 

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 4:07am

Poland will go out to win in Glasgow but I think scotland will get the 3 points. 

Poland are playing for automatic qualification and Scotland for a play off place at best. There's not much doubt who the form team would be here.

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 4:10am
0-0 please

Posted By: ncafc87
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:11am
Got to be a polish win - would take a playoff now. Would be no surprise if we don't get another point.

However I don't see a polish win in Scotland, can see Scotland winning, if that happens we'll be 4th.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:10am
Poland win and let's take our chances in a play off.
We would have taken that after the home match v Scotland.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:15am

Sure they have all the momentum behind them. 1pt out of the last 9 is table topping stuff.

-------------

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:24am
We need to focus on the German game and aim to take something from it. We can't affect what happens in Glasgow only what happens in Dublin. At the start of the campaign my hope was that we could go into the final game still with something to play for and we're in that position. But hopefully the Poles can do us a favor and take all 3 points from the Scots and help guarantee us at least a playoff.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:46am
I cannot see us getting anything out of our remaining two games therefore a Polish win is vital to us securing a playoff spot.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:07am
Poland win every time though I could see us getting a draw in Warsaw if we need it with Poland already qualified ? Or have I read that wrong

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:43am
We will lose to Germany and Scotland will beat Poland . Have to go to Warsaw to win ...

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: greengooner
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:47am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

We will lose to Germany and Scotland will beat Poland . Have to go to Warsaw to win ...
Ah Jaysus BB, where's your spirit of adventure and positivity gone??!!!

WinkWink

I don't believe Scotland will beat Poland.

I think they will draw, then we will draw with Germany and then go to Poland needing a draw for Poland to finish 2nd and us to finish 3rd.......Italia 90 Vs Holland beckons again...... EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

-------------
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:58am

I think Poland will come away from Glasgow with at least a point. Scotland are mediocre and have been massively overrated by many on here who have been talking Strachan up as the second coming of Busby/Shankly/Stein. If we can grind out another draw against Germany we'll be heading to Warsaw with a playoff in the bag and maybe even a winner takes all shot at automatic qualification.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

I think Poland will come away from Glasgow with at least a point. Scotland are mediocre and have been massively overrated by many on here who have been talking Strachan up as the second coming of Busby/Shankly/Stein. If we can grind out another draw against Germany we'll be heading to Warsaw with a playoff in the bag and maybe even a winner takes all shot at automatic qualification.

If we draw with Germany and Scotland draw with Poland we go into last game guaranteed a playoff with a victory giving us automatic qualification ?

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:22am
So if we match the Scotland result in the next game, we are guaranteed 3rd place playoff. Cant see us beating ze Germans and hoping for a draw, so a polish win is what we're after, but fancy the draw in that.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:27am

Did nothing of the sort, had the game on the pooter while watching the Ireland game.....Germans played around them for 90mins in 2nd gear, Scots scored from an og and a corner other than that had nothing on goal.....The Poles have Lewandowski while the Jocks have Fletcher I know who my money is on .....the Poles stood toe to toe with Germany last Friday and I'm banking on them winning this one ....anyone hoping for any other result is just playing the lottery with Irelands hopes

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:54am
Wow.

I wish I had the confidence of those 6 individuals who reckon a draw is the best result! We have quite simply displayed nothing in our performances so far to suggest that we can beat Germany at home or Poland away.

In fact, I think we'll be doing seriously well to take just one point from those two fixtures. With that in mind, anything other than a Polish win in Glasgow would be a terrible result for us imo. Our real chance to qualify will be similar to 2012 - getting a handy draw in a play-off.

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:10am
People bang on about Ireland not taking a big scalp since the Dutch in 2001 maybe the Germans are ripe for picking.Big smile

If we can play with that second half intensity from the off in with a chance.
Shane Long must start.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

People bang on about Ireland not taking a big scalp since the Dutch in 2001 maybe the Germans are ripe for picking.Big smile

If we can play with that second half intensity from the off in with a chance.
Shane Long must start.

100%

He might be one of the least clinical strikers going, but he causes the opposition all sorts of problems. If I was German I would be more than happy to see him not starting.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:52pm
  1. A Polish win puts Scotland OUT, but it also means we have little chance of second, unless we could also beat both Germany and Poland. 
  2. A draw is OK too, but it would still leave us needing one more point.
This game is shaping up to be the defining game in the group not just for Scotland and Poland but for us too. 
  • It's win or bust for Scotland, so they'll be throwing the kitchen sink at it if they are not winning come the final 20 minutes. Under no circumstance do we want a Scottish win, as this means we will have to beat either Germany or Poland.
  • If Poland win, we're guaranteed third.
  • If it's a draw, Poland are guaranteed at least third place. A draw against Germany or in Warsaw sees us third. A win in Warsaw sees us snatch second. No more points would leave us 4th.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:12pm
If we are playing Poland and a draw suits both teams, it will be a draw and I will be backing that result heavily.

It could be LIKE that infamous game in the World Cup where both teams played out an obvious draw agreed beforehand

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:26pm
WE NEED POLAND TO WIN OR DRAW FFS, I'd snap the hand off for a play off even now let alone before this weeks games!!

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:36pm
Poland win. Unless we can grab a point v Germany, in that case a draw.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

If we are playing Poland and a draw suits both teams, it will be a draw and I will be backing that result heavily.

It could be LIKE that infamous game in the World Cup where both teams played out an obvious draw agreed beforehand

We could have a shot with nothing to lose if we are best

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:49pm
Scotland have to win next time out. They cannot think that four points will be enough to catch us. I mean, they will have a real fear that if they draw, even if we lose to Germany, there is a real risk of the cynical, mutually beneficial draw between ourselves and Poland (however likely or not that might be). There are other reasons too.

If they get six points from their next two games, they'll know we need three v Germany to keep it out of their hands (plus Poland not losing at home to us, of course): if we don't beat Germany, it's back in Scotland's hands. With a win over Poland, they only result they need is us not to beat Germany (say we draw, the table is Ger 20 / Pol 17 / Ire 16 / Sco 14, and 3 points for Scotland v Gibraltar is enough for them to finish third, come what may, given Scotland's superior head to head against both us and Poland, as one of us will finish on 17 or lower).

There's no denying the next game is massive for Scotland. A draw doesn't necessarily leave them out but a win leaves them relying on just one result (us not to win v Germany), not the two they need if they draw (us to get no more points at all). The difference, from their perspective, is absolutely massive. They'll know this and it makes me fear that they will be seriously up for the fight. They can't settle for a draw. Poland, on the other hand, will know they have a fall back if they do fail in Scotland (i.e. the home game v us), which could inspire complacency there. They can happily settle for the draw, knowing they need only one point at home to us, even if we somehow beat Germany, and so long as the draw is 2-2 or lower.

I'm seriously worried Scotland will win, in other words, given what is at stake for both teams, or at very least get a draw. There is so much more at stake for Scotland, whereas a draw for Poland is far from the end of the world, nor is a defeat. I mean, from Poland's perspective, there is little difference between a draw and a defeat in Scotland: in all likelihood, either leaves them needing just a single point at home to us to qualify automatically. While it does mean another defeat to us would see them eliminated entirely (as opposed to in the playoffs), it is clear the game in Warsaw is the bigger game for them. Obviously they know that a win will send them in, but they also know that a point at home to us will be enough too, and that's an easy fall back position.

Now, the question of the result we ought to want in that game is different: obviously in an ideal world, they draw, we draw, and we get a shot at Poland for free. However, they draw, we lose to Germany, and we have to win in Poland: not a pleasant prospect, albeit of course we have the chance of the beneficial draw.

I suppose it turns on this: if that game is a draw and we lose, do you reckon we would still have a chance at a mutually beneficial draw v Poland? Maybe: but likely not. Remember, Poland would well know that if we won, they would be in the playoff and I don't think they'd take the risk of playing out a friendly draw. I imagine they'd play for the win, albeit maybe ease off at 1-0 up, knowing it would take two goals to eliminate them.

This all leaves aside the downside of a Poland win of course: we basically cannot qualify automatically if that happens. Poland were not brilliant here, remember, and playing a dead rubber there, guaranteed a playoff but playing for nothing, would be a bit anti-climactic. While, of course, I would prefer to have a free crack at them (i.e. we both draw our next games), having a chance to win and qualify there, but only needing a draw for the playoffs, would not be the end of the world, even if a loss would knock us out. It's the three outcome win and in, draw and playoff and lose and out, that does give a little fear, but we can avoid that with a point against Germany.

So what do I actually want? Us to draw with Germany (who only need a point, remember), Scotland to draw with Poland, and a free shot in Warsaw. Hell, even if we don't make it, at least we'd actually have to play attacking football in an effort to win the game. What will happen? Pfft, who knows?

-------------

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Wow.

I wish I had the confidence of those 6 individuals who reckon a draw is the best result! We have quite simply displayed nothing in our performances so far to suggest that we can beat Germany at home or Poland away.

In fact, I think we'll be doing seriously well to take just one point from those two fixtures. With that in mind, anything other than a Polish win in Glasgow would be a terrible result for us imo. Our real chance to qualify will be similar to 2012 - getting a handy draw in a play-off.

Spot on.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

But thats the point of the question.
We know whats needed.

But the point is the games you refer to are played simultaneously; and so the question is what do you hope for in the other game.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

But thats the point of the question.
We know whats needed.

But the point is the games you refer to are played simultaneously; and so the question is what do you hope for in the other game.

Ha, probably should have said I voted for the Poland win alright!

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:02pm
I see James Morrison will be suspended v Poland. He's usually a goodish player for them.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:04pm
Maloney doubtful with a hamstring injury

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 4:03pm
It's been a great group for drama and excitment. It's going to come down to the very last match I fear. A win for Poland I pray just to give us a chance.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:27pm
Im going for a draw, f**k it, id rather we go out guns blazing than go out in a play-off.

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:32pm
Sorry for the repost!

Everybody is hoping for a Poland win. The safe bet! I hope Scotland draw with or beat Poland. 

We draw against Germany and Poland/Scotland is a draw. We go into the last game with Poland on 18, Ireland on 16 and Scotland on 12. We have the safety of a play off place which means we have nothing to lose and go all out for the win in Poland that will give us that second spot. This is the ideal scenario.

We draw against Germany and Scotland beat Poland. We go into the last game with Poland on 17, Ireland on 16 and Scotland on 14. The Scots are guaranteed 3 points so finish on 17. Do or die, all or nothing for us. We beat Poland and we go through automatically. We draw or lose and we are out. The beauty of football. I would prefer to take the chance of going through automatically or finishing fourth to hoping for Poland knocking Scotland out of the equation and we ending up needing less points to finish in a play off position. Our history in play offs is not good. 

So we need a draw or even better that elusive win against a big nation against Germany. A draw is certainly possible. That said it is as likely going by recent history that we lose the Germany and get one point against Poland. I fear that fans/media will overhype Poland in the lead up to the last match which we always do with teams similar to us. We have played them a few times in the last few years and we are evenly matched. Their position in the table does not lie, they have performed better than us or Scotland but all three countries are the same ability wise.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Im going for a draw, f**k it, id rather we go out guns blazing than go out in a play-off.

This. This is what I was trying to say LOL High noon.....guns blazing. 

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:46pm
The Germans were happy with a point in Croker in 2007. Here's hoping they'll be happy with one again

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

This. This is what I was trying to say LOL High noon.....guns blazing. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:59pm
Bon Jovi have no place on this forum....or anywhere for that matter. Of course it will come down to the last match....that's the way we do it😰

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:05pm
Poland win, hands down, get to a playoff and worry then. Poland in our last game needing some sort of a result would be worse than a 2 leg game against the teams we could possibly draw in a playoff at the moment.
Poland win, and we go for a party in Warsaw,

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 11:36am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3227582/Pat-Nevin-blasts-Scottish-FA-players-forced-eat-Burger-King-European-qualifier-defeat-Georgia.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3227582/Pat-Nevin-blasts-Scottish-FA-players-forced-eat-Burger-King-European-qualifier-defeat-Georgia.html

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 11:39am
Scotland's Harry Ramsden's moment ?

-------------

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:35pm
Poland win, hands down

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:35pm
If ourselves and Poland end up on 19 points who wins the head to head?

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:40pm
Poland to hammer them. Asking for a scottish win is madness.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

If ourselves and Poland end up on 19 points who wins the head to head?

Well, given that the only way Poland can get to 19 is by drawing both their games, that implies we would have to beat Germany and draw with them.

If that happens, it goes to head to head. We would have 2 points each. Then head to head goal difference. Square. Then head to head away goals. We lose unless we draw 3-3 or higher out there. If we draw 2-2, it goes to overall goal difference. We would likely lose on that count unless we beat Germany 11-0. If we draw 1-1 or 0-0 it doesn't matter if we beat Germany 15-0, we lose out on away goals.

This all assumes Germany don't lose to Georgia. If we all end up level on 19 points (i.e. we beat Germany and draw with Poland, Poland draw both games and Germany lose both games) then, on head to head points, we would have 6 (1W, 3D, 0L), Poland 5 (1W, 2D, 1L) and Germany 4(1W, 1D, 2L) and we would top the group with Poland second and Germany in the playoffs.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 3:57pm
In such a scenario, a two all draw would qualify us Dave

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Killer K
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 8:33pm
I have changed my mind. I originally voted for a Poland victory. However upon reflection why would we want to qualify for a tournament due to our rivals imploding and us not having played well at all. We haven't played well against the weaker teams not to mention the better teams. When we see Wales and NI beating teams ranked above them, you feel they deserve to qualify. So far we have done nothing that would make one say we deserve to qualify. Beating Poland in Warsaw and qualifying automatically would change that!

Posted By: magnumpi
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 11:11am
Germans would be happy with a point against us as it guarantees them automatic qualifying.

plus, it would give us a free crack at the poles (assuming they draw with Scotland) for the 2nd place, which would also help Germany.

No idea why people are writing the German game off as a loss.  Definitely a draw there for the taking.

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:57am
Scotland are poor, Poland are the better side, would gladly take a playoff now. However it would be a bonus if we matched their result so as to give us a chance of automatic qualification in Warsaw. But to be a seeded team for playoffs we need some result from both matches, otherwise we'll have a playoff against Russia/Sweden/Netherlands/Turkey/Ukraine

Posted By: BriMurt
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 9:19pm
Basically, in the Scotland-Poland game, I want the same result for the home team that the home team gets in the Ireland-Germany game. So if Ireland are to lose, I want Scotland to lose because this would seal 3rd place for Ireland, and they wouldn't have to worry about going to Warsaw NEEDING a result as this does not usually turn out well. If Ireland can hold on to a draw, a draw in Scotland would guarantee Ireland at least 3rd place, but also give them a free shot at automatic qualification with no worry of being eliminated entirely. T'would be a great opportunity for Ireland to really let their hair down and go for broke, although cautious O'Neill would probably play a cagey game all the same. In the event that Ireland could break their almost 15 year duck and beat a top team in competition, then I would like to see Scotland win because that would give them an outside chance of still making 3rd place, if Ireland could also beat Poland in Warsaw (dare to imagine that for an end to Ireland's campaign) and the two sets of fans could share drinks and hearty banter in France.

Posted By: Cliffs of Dover
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 12:49pm
Poland to win, certainly. Any other preference would be madness. However, given Scotland's impressive form, it is anything but inevitable.

Posted By: conord97
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:30pm
A draw for sure

Posted By: DavidMan
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:04pm
POLAND WIN

-------------
We March On

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:47pm
People seem to forget that Poland, like scotland are also famous for bottling it. The scots have nothing to lose now, i think they have a more than reasonable chance of beating them. id rather a draw between the two, if we cannot get a point in the last two matches, we frankly don't deserve a playoff spot.

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net