Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wrongly pronounced GAA Names by RTE commentators
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Subject: Wrongly pronounced GAA Names by RTE commentators
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:54pm
Donal Vaughan - pronounced Donal Vauckin

Bonar or Anthony Maher - pronounced Bonar (Anthony) Marr

Benny Coulter - pronounced Benny Cooolter

Anthony Thompson -  the "Th" at the start of the surname is pronounced. Why is the H pronounced here and not in the word 'three' for example. If he scored 0-3 in a game the commentator would probably say "Thhhompson has now scored tree"

Walter Walsh - pronounced Walter Welsh Confused probably the strangest of the lot that one

Any others? Im sure there are more im forgetting

Replies:
Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:56pm
They can't seem to tell the difference between Walsh and Welch. 

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:57pm
Welsh is how they say Walsh down around KK for some bizarre reason

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:00pm
Walsh is pronounced Welsh in a load of places in Ireland. Strange one alright, very confusing

Also, Keane being pronounced "Kane".

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:01pm
I forgot the great Donegal half back Carol Lacey

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:12pm
My last name is Walsh,4th most common name in Ireland.Pronounced Welsh in many parts of the west and also Kilkenny.

Staunton is also pronounced Stanton,keane as Kane,lots of examples of this. 

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:22pm
As far as I know (and I could be very wrong) the Irish version of Walsh is Breathnach which means Welsh man or something like that and is probably why Walsh is pronounced as Welsh. I didn’t realise it was pronounced like that in Kilkenny, it routinely is in the west. Personally I would still pronounce Walsh as Walsh unless someone introduced themselves to me as Welsh.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think its meant to be spelt Karol and thats where the confusion lies Id imagine. I know a lad from Donegal with that name but its pronounced Karl. Id say Ringerbell could shed more light on that

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Walsh is pronounced Welsh in a load of places in Ireland. Strange one alright, very confusing

Also, Keane being pronounced "Kane".
not really when the name breathnach originates from the one from wales

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:41pm
Also waterford see brick walsh

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Also waterford see brick walsh

That would be Brick Welsh, who plays home hurling games in Welsh Park. Referred to as nothing else around here, anyone with that surname pronouncing it as 'Walsh' would be seen as someone with notions about thereselves LOL

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think its meant to be spelt Karol and thats where the confusion lies Id imagine. I know a lad from Donegal with that name but its pronounced Karl. Id say Ringerbell could shed more light on that
No it is Karl alright

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:20pm
Just listen to David Brady or James Nallen speak and how they pronounce names in that ultra bog man accent

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Just listen to David Brady or James Nallen speak and how they pronounce names in that ultra bog man accent

Any chance you could characterise what constitutes a bog man accent? By virtue of it coming from the west perhaps? You are fully entitled to your little smiley face, you clearly dont like the west of Ireland accent and that is purely a subjective opinion that you are more than entitled to. However, I would like to know what makes a lad from from Carlow/Laois/Tipperary think it is acceptable to throw stones inside the old glass house as regards the whole "bog man" thing. Aren't the best bogs from that part of the country?

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:59am

Any chance you could characterise what constitutes a bog man accent? By virtue of it coming from the west perhaps? You are fully entitled to your little smiley face, you clearly dont like the west of Ireland accent and that is purely a subjective opinion that you are more than entitled to. However, I would like to know what makes a lad from from Carlow/Laois/Tipperary think it is acceptable to throw stones inside the old glass house as regards the whole "bog man" thing. Aren't the best bogs from that part of the country?

Hark at the urban sophisticate Walls LOL. Fcuk whatever accent ya have, the starting point is knowing what county yer from Wink...........

Those Tipp bogs ?? Aye, they still kind of exist, but co-exist with eco-warrior windmills, all 758 of them dotted around the flatlands outside Thurles after a full year's spinning would just about be enough to power the main beam on yer rothar for about 20 minutes, that is, if you had a rothar in the first place. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 7:53am
Whelan pronounced weelan in most places is pronounced waylan in the South East. Something similar happens with Phelan. Pronounced faylan in the SE.

A strange one that i never understood.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Hark at the urban sophisticate Walls LOL. Fcuk whatever accent ya have, the starting point is knowing what county yer from Wink...........

Those Tipp bogs ?? Aye, they still kind of exist, but co-exist with eco-warrior windmills, all 758 of them dotted around the flatlands outside Thurles after a full year's spinning would just about be enough to power the main beam on yer rothar for about 20 minutes, that is, if you had a rothar in the first place. 

Far, far from it LOL

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:46am

thinking the same walls. GIve me your dulcet western tone over the sound of banjo country anyday

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

thinking the same walls. GIve me your dulcet western tone over the sound of banjo country anyday

Thanks LOL

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 1:23pm
Certain county accents are very flat. This is mainly in what I call "the Barrow corridor", stretching from Offaly through Laois, Kildare, West Wicklow, Carlow, Kilkenny and Waaahfud. 

All these counties have very flah haccents, so dee dew, but the throatiness of the accent gradually descends into a more nasal whine as you go further south.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm

My accent is mild and has a very low tone, the Western accent is rugged and very deep for the most part. It basically has a rough and ready sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_kZspsp1o" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_kZspsp1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNBPn2-3Kc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNBPn2-3Kc

Also, I'm not from Tipperary, never once claimed to be either? There's f**k all bogs in Carlow btw

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
nice edit btw...i was just about to post this:  http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-walk-abbeyleix-bog-loop-co-laois-1.1959278" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-walk-abbeyleix-bog-loop-co-laois-1.1959278  LOL

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

nice edit btw...i was just about to post this:  http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-walk-abbeyleix-bog-loop-co-laois-1.1959278" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-walk-abbeyleix-bog-loop-co-laois-1.1959278  LOL

Laois has nowhere near as much bog land per square mile than even the likes of Offaly has which is county pretty similar in size to Laois.

Land from Portlaoise down to my village on the Carlow border has probably the best farming land in the country.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:13pm

My accent is mild and has a very low tone, the Western accent is rugged and very deep for the most part. It basically has a rough and ready sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_kZspsp1o" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_kZspsp1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNBPn2-3Kc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNBPn2-3Kc

Also, I'm not from Tipperary, never once claimed to be either? There's f**k all bogs in Carlow btw

So essentially by virtue of it being different its "bogman"? Sound

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:33pm
I'm from Laois and work in Kilkenny and the amount of different pronunciations is unreal considering there's only a few miles between me and most of the lads I work with.
Walsh is pronounced Welsh by everyone
Phelan is whaylan
O'Neills are Nails
Skehan is Skayan
Healy is Hayley
And it's not just all the "ee" sounds are pronounced "ay" because O'Dea is still O'Dea and Deegan is Deegan.
In north Laois where my oul lad is from, Matthews is Mattis.
Dowling is Doolin with some of the real mountain men! I dunno, the joys of being a bogger isn't it walls/GD?!

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 5:56pm
Today it was Maher and Maar.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Today it was Maher and Maar.

Sure that's the right way to say Maher.

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 10:27pm
Paul Shootay. 

-------------