Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52094
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 7:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wedding Venue
Posted By: Butch
Subject: Wedding Venue
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:41am
I was planning to get married in Ireland but that sh*t weather is putting me off . Anyone recommend good locations in Europe ? I'm thinking that this way people will be going on a holiday but going to a wedding while there . Probably looking at 60-100 guests . Wedding is not for awhile (maybe Sept 2017) . Any suggestions appreciated

Replies:
Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I was planning to get married in Ireland but that sh*t weather is putting me off . Anyone recommend good locations in Europe ? I'm thinking that this way people will be going on a holiday but going to a wedding while there . Probably looking at 60-100 guests . Wedding is not for awhile (maybe Sept 2017) . Any suggestions appreciated
Tbilisi 

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:51am
Tbilisi is a great shout !

Outside of that, some friends of mine got married in September 2011 in Ravello on the Amalfi coast in Italy.
One of the most picturesque places I have ever been. Everybody really enjoyed it. 

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:04pm
My best buddy got married in San Pedro Malaga, best wedding I've ever been at. Married on a beach, we were there for the week. Night of the wedding 50 of us went skinny dipping on the beach Thumbs Up personally thats what i plan to do one day, one of the best weeks of my life.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Tbilisi 

We saw a wedding in Tbilisi last time and everything Clap

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Tbilisi 

We saw a wedding in Tbilisi last time and everything Clap
LOL great craic chasing them around

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:33pm
Just booked our wedding for Doolin. f**k the weather I'm delighted to be getting married back in Ireland it'll be a proper piss up. Worked out cheap as f**k with the £ to € at the moment although we've only paid the deposit so far.

We were thinking of getting married in Italy. Outside Naples looks great and it works out much cheaper although we were worried about the language barrier.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:35pm
I got married in Vegas 3 years ago.

All my mates who got married in Ireland all said they should have done the same, little or no organisation involved and very little cost too.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:56pm
Just back from a wedding near Toulouse, the venue was an entire village that you rent exclusively (I've no idea on price but they wouldn't be a flashy couple, this isn't P. Diddy money) 

It has a kinda main street where all of the accom is, townhouses with 3-4 bedrooms each, a chapel at the top, a pool at the bottom and a few other buildings, all surrounded by a fortified wall

Website is here: http://www.lagarde.org/

It really was an amazing place for a wedding, they put on a pig on a spit thing on the Sunday which was pretty quality too, food was class the whole time.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:01pm
Friends got married in Portugal, villamoura region was amazing, they had bbq in villa on Saturday, wedding after same place on Monday was amazing highly recommended

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:21pm
Was at a wedding 2 weeks ago in La Cala Golf Resort,it's in LA Cala de Mijas
About 15 mins for Fuengirola
Top top spot,and some excellent golf courses on site

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:53pm
McG got hooked a few weeks back in Spain and it looked the balls.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:21pm
I will give Tbilisi a miss lads , as much as I would want to give ye a day out while we are there for the game I don't think she would be too impressed . I get to go & do what I want whenever I want but for this day she will be having the most input . Old Town Marbella came to mind & someone I was talking to said the Basque region of Spain had some nice venues . Early days yet but I would like a good few options . Cheers for the suggestions , Lagarde.org looks good & Almalfi coast is a good shout too

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:26pm
Was also at a wedding in Vilamoura 2 years back and was savage craic and not silly money either.

Posted By: spook09
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:35pm
Was at my cousins wedding in Lake Bled, Slovenia, absolutely beautiful. Nice food, bit of activities to do and scenery that has to be seen to be believed. Food/Drink cheap.. Top place

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Just booked our wedding for Doolin. f**k the weather I'm delighted to be getting married back in Ireland it'll be a proper piss up. Worked out cheap as f**k with the £ to € at the moment although we've only paid the deposit so far.

We were thinking of getting married in Italy. Outside Naples looks great and it works out much cheaper although we were worried about the language barrier.

I am pretty sure no matter where you get married you won't understand your missus :)

Neil

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:51pm
I can see why marrying out foreign appeals to more and more people.

Weddings in Ireland aren't all that intimate for the most part, you're basically inviting a good number of family members who you rarely if ever see or talk too, also "friends" who you hardly see or spend time with.

At least if you get married out foreign, people you want there and who themselves want to attend will be there. Unlike many of people at local weddings who just go for the free food and piss ups.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I can see why marrying out foreign appeals to more and more people.

Weddings in Ireland aren't all that intimate for the most part, you're basically inviting a good number of family members who you rarely if ever see or talk too, also "friends" who you hardly see or spend time with.

At least if you get married out foreign, people you want there and who themselves want to attend will be there. Unlike many of people at local weddings who just go for the free food and piss ups.

On the money there GD . All we want is 6-10 of my close mates & their plus 1 -  then 6-10 of her mates & their plus 1 & then the rest of our brothers & sisters & their plus 1 . Parents & a couple of cousins - Aunts & Uncles . Fcuk the rest of them . I would much rather a bit of sun , get married & have close friends & families around us & chill out after the wedding with everyone . I wouldnt expect anything from anyone but for them to turn up for the wedding as it would be dear enough getting out there & taking time off work

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:58pm
Fordeign weddings are better, the people you don't want to go probably wont go, the people going can make a few days holidays of it. Its cheaper for the couple getting married, the craic is better. 

Although I was at one wedding in Ibiza, jayzuzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 

If you can ditch the Catholic church cult ceremony, even better. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:01pm
Have a look at Nerja in Spain. Go over there quite a bit, nice town and church. Seems to be quite popular for Irish weddings. Last year we went and there was one on but it was pissing out of the heavens, the bride was in an awful state to which me self and the Missis thought it was hilarious.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Have a look at Nerja in Spain. Go over there quite a bit, nice town and church. Seems to be quite popular for Irish weddings. Last year we went and there was one on but it was pissing out of the heavens, the bride was in an awful state to which me self and the Missis thought it was hilarious.

Was groomsman at my mates one in Calpe last September. Lovely little church in the middle of a town inaccessible by car. You had a good 10 minute walk down a hill from the buses on the road into the town. It was gas looking at my pal getting absolutely ballooned out of it just before he walked into the church on "the happiest day of his life" by all the old kunts and birds who weren't able for the trek or were in heels. He was on the brink of a meltdown. Tears in the eyes and big puffy red face. That's what you want at a wedding. A bit of drama to liven things up 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:18pm
I was at a wedding near Wroclaw in Poland a couple of years ago. The couple rented an entire country house complete amazing gardens for a whole weekend. Similar to the old English country houses in Ireland.

The place was class with food laid on from about 4 in the evening to about 1am with lots and lots of vodka in between. Free bar and accommodation provided as well. Now this couple aren't the flashy kind and i was told it cost half of what a wedding in Meath where they live would cost. Now the chances of your mrs to be being polish is minimal but I would still check it out.

http://en.palackonary.pl/" rel="nofollow - en.palackonary.pl/

also Ryanair do deals for groups of people. something you could also look into.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:22pm

I go there fairly often myself so maybe that is why I prob wouldn't want to get married there but never say never .

The brother stopped off @Bled on the way to the Euro's & said it was a great spot but there is no direct flights unless I charter SByrne Airways for the lot of us

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by spook09 spook09 wrote:

Was at my cousins wedding in Lake Bled, Slovenia, absolutely beautiful. Nice food, bit of activities to do and scenery that has to be seen to be believed. Food/Drink cheap.. Top place

Stayed in Bohinj not far from there. Fantastic

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:44pm

Greengooner had his honeymoon in Nerja and it pissed rain as well.  Mind you it was October.......

Amalfi Coast is spectularly nice but it's expensive.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:51pm
Drop me a PM if you want info on my gig in Spain Butch. Can put you in touch with the planner etc. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

I am pretty sure no matter where you get married you won't understand your missus :)

Neil

Ah it's alright Baldy. She understands me Big smile

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 7:19pm
I'd prefer a wedding abroad. As has been mentioned above, the people you want to go will make the effort and go. I'd say it would cut the numbers down from about 120 to 60.
But the missus is not for it, thinks it's not fair on people, but I think the people who do make the effort will be glad they did, have to say the best weddings I've ever been at are the couple where we went abroad.

So I will continue to try and convince her for the next few months before we book somewhere.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd prefer a wedding abroad. As has been mentioned above, the people you want to go will make the effort and go. I'd say it would cut the numbers down from about 120 to 60.
But the missus is not for it, thinks it's not fair on people, but I think the people who do make the effort will be glad they did, have to say the best weddings I've ever been at are the couple where we went abroad.

So I will continue to try and convince her for the next few months before we book somewhere.

And if you can't verbally convince her Andy there's always a fine set of God given knuckles (on both hands) in reserve

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:33am
were you drunk  earlier Muff?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Eh no.

Should've added in the winky face I suppose.

Obviously taking the piss

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:39am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Eh no.

Tell that to me missus up in tallaght hospital

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:53am

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Eh no.

Tell that to me missus up in tallaght hospital

Wait am I missing something here?

Your missus in hospital? Oh sh*te sorry

-------------

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 8:05am
My next holiday is going to be in Lake Bled. Heard its amazing Heart

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 8:33am
Do you not go there every month

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:38am

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:18am

LOLDead

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:18am

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:56pm
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:57pm
BSM I saw photos of the wedding you were at a few weeks ago. Think I caught a glimpse of you in one Heart

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:53am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

My next holiday is going to be in Lake Bled. Heard its amazing Heart

Went there interrailing a couple of years ago, couldn't recommend it enough.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:13am
Unreal SGB. You won't be disappointed, Wedding we went to was on the island in the middle of the lake, one of the nicest places I've ever been Clap

-------------
I have been blessed with many things in this life – an arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python, and the mind of a f*cking scientist.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:17am
Originally posted by spook09 spook09 wrote:

Unreal SGB. You won't be disappointed, Wedding we went to was on the island in the middle of the lake, one of the nicest places I've ever been Clap

Heart

Ive heard great things. Where did you fly to?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:31am
We flew in Salzburg in Austria, then it took us about 2 1/2 hours to Bled.. I really can't speak more highly of it, if you do eventually go, throw it up here and i'll try give you a little more info Smile

-------------
I have been blessed with many things in this life – an arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python, and the mind of a f*cking scientist.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:34am
Ljubljana is the nearest airport . No direct flights there as far as I remember unless you do a package deal .... Crystal holidays are your man for a package to Bled / Bohinj ...

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:56am
Thanks lads. Would it be freezing there around New Years?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:02am
Crystal holidays is who i went as far as i know Thumbs Up we went wedding package holiday.
Yeah it gets pretty cool at winter, slopes are used for sjkiing, summer its used for tobogganing, its some laugh

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:29pm
SGB the nearest airport is Ljubljana which is about an hour away from bled and then lake bled is a short taxi journey from the train station. I'm not sure what accessibility would be like around the place in winter as someone said its a ski resort in winter, not sure if that would be a potential issue. Beautiful place though. If you're not dead set on NYE, they have a local festival there around 17th July (I think) where there's a 15 minute firework display and then a floating candle display all over the lake, it's brilliant to look at.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:54pm
Was in lake bled before gorgeous spot. If was summer time and I was inter railing around europe at the time. Skirts were high and tops were low.

Off to Ljubljana next Thursday for a few days looking forward to to it.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: green.dragon
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:06pm
Looking to hear from those who got married abroad or attended one. Good locations etc or any other tips or ideas? I know with Covid it wont be this year but maybe the tail end of summer 2022. 

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:41pm
Moved your post here GD, some decent locations mentioned.

Posted By: green.dragon
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:06pm
Thanks Sham 157. I tried to find the thread but thanks anyway. 

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 4:09pm
Was due to have a wedding reception in October last year and of course Covid put a stop to it.
However from 2021 the venue was becoming vat registered, she said she would keep the same rate for us but we'd have to pay the vat.

Plans changed for us a few months ago and told her we'd have to push it back the next year instead and she told us that she couldn't keep the same rate and would have to be 2022 rates, which is double what we have originally agreed. Things have changed again and we probably could have it this year but you still never know with covid and the amount of people you're allow have. 
Ok I get that places have been closed and have to make the money back, but double the price!
Any one else getting shafted who's has to change their plans?

My brother who is in a wedding band said they're keeping all their existing bookings at the same rate but an extra 100 or 200 for new bookings and not double the cost.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
fookin hell Daz that is taking the piss. you have to wonder is it worth the hassle at the moment. postponed my own wedding twice now and hesitant to make any more decisions until this fookin thing is well and truly under control. 

herself is talking about getting the deed done at a registry office and then throw a garden party once we know we can host an event for a sizable number of guests. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 5:16pm
My own wedding was a humanist ceremony in a hotel. Only 19 of us at it. Had a party two days later for everyone else. Very hassle free. 

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
might look into the humanist option as the registry office in Cork looks grim from the outside.

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 6:55pm
As soon as we get sign off that we can go ahead with 50, we're doing it. Even if it's at 2 or 3 weeks notice. Hope to god it will be this summer, the stress hanging over us the last year is almost unbearable.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Was due to have a wedding reception in October last year and of course Covid put a stop to it.
However from 2021 the venue was becoming vat registered, she said she would keep the same rate for us but we'd have to pay the vat.

Plans changed for us a few months ago and told her we'd have to push it back the next year instead and she told us that she couldn't keep the same rate and would have to be 2022 rates, which is double what we have originally agreed. Things have changed again and we probably could have it this year but you still never know with covid and the amount of people you're allow have. 
Ok I get that places have been closed and have to make the money back, but double the price!
Any one else getting shafted who's has to change their plans?

My brother who is in a wedding band said they're keeping all their existing bookings at the same rate but an extra 100 or 200 for new bookings and not double the cost.

In the same boat , on to are third new date for next summer. We sign a contract with the venue in 2019 and will be getting them rates regardless of when it is thanks to having that . Bit like your self if the vat goes up or down is the only think that will fluctuate the price. 

Have heard of one or two places doing what you've said now but few and far between now

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

My own wedding was a humanist ceremony in a hotel. Only 19 of us at it. Had a party two days later for everyone else. Very hassle free. 
We looked into that effort, while I can see why it would be much more tailored to yourself, it looked far more hassle to organise everything. At least with the church/hotel there's a set template that ya just book.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

My own wedding was a humanist ceremony in a hotel. Only 19 of us at it. Had a party two days later for everyone else. Very hassle free

I regret not getting drunker and causing a commotion then.

My registry part I moved from April to October. Didn't want a big celebration then but her parents wouldn't have been able to come so pointless. The celebration we postponed from this June bank holiday to next on her family farm in Wicklow. Made the call around January so we wouldn't have to stress the next few months whether it would be a runner and all the vendors, photographer band etc can do the new date so happy days!

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:46am
The one in charge of the venue must be reading this cos I haven't heard from her in weeks and then yesterday emails me to say she doesn't have an updated signed contract from us.
Now she wants 30% peyment 3 months before the date. But sure we don't know if it could go ahead 3 months beforehand.
And if we are to push it back to next year I really don't want to be paying double. It's left a bad taste with the place and I think I'd prefer to look at other places.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 2:14pm
yeah tell them to gtf

places now ripping the arse out of everything, weddings were crazy enough before

2002 all over again, save your cash where you can

you will need it in the coming years

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net