Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51543
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 7:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cheapest place for a TV
Posted By: SByrne24
Subject: Cheapest place for a TV
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:01pm
Folks ned a new TV, looking for one of those 4k jobs seen one in Currys picture was something else. Along with its price tag, near needed a seat. Where's the cheapest spot online? 

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:09pm
I think 4K is a waste of money at the moment.Very little content for all that extra cash.Maybe in a couple of years it might be worth it but not now.
Amazon do have some superb deals and there was an excellent sale on in Sony centre's a few weeks back.
What size TV you looking for ?

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:12pm
I was thinking 55. 
I was for buying a Sony one, always thought their picture was the best. 

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:24pm
If you dont go for a 4K TV you should get an excellent TV for less than a grand.I know its all personal taste/choice but I don't see the point getting a 4K or even bothering with a smart TV.You can buy a android box for your TV for a €100 that will do everything a smart TV does and a whole lot more.

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:28pm
Got a 4k Panasonic and love it. Limited content alright but will do me years.

Best picture and build quality are Panasonic and Sony.

Picture wise never been impressed with Samsung.

Wouldn't bother with smart either Tbh but most mid to top range tv's will have it regardless.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Wouldn't bother with smart either Tbh but most mid to top range tv's will have it regardless.

The thing with buying a 4K now is the lack of content and the extra costs.Could be better off buying cheaper and be able to upgrade in 2 or 3 years time if there is a big jump in features..
Your right about the smart as well I never use the features on mine but they all seem to have them now.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:39pm
Welcome Home the Celtic Tiger

" Cheapest place for a TV"

but it's got to be 4k and 45-55"
😄😄😄😄

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

The thing with buying a 4K now is the lack of content and the extra costs.Could be better off buying cheaper and be able to upgrade in 2 or 3 years time if there is a big jump in features..
Your right about the smart as well I never use the features on mine but they all seem to have them now.

Agree totally. Got mine in a sale just after Christmas for a price I couldn't look past , think it was 50 quid or so more than I was prepared to pay for a decent full hd, so made sense. Wouldn't pay big money for 4K at this point in time

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 9:40pm

Agree totally. Got mine in a sale just after Christmas for a price I couldn't look past , think it was 50 quid or so more than I was prepared to pay for a decent full hd, so made sense. Wouldn't pay big money for 4K at this point in time

I was in today in Currys like i said , i got quoted 3k for their 4k one with build in speakers....... Why not Confused
 That's why I'm asking, never been impressed by Samsung, their screens have a reflection and i find their sound rubbish compared to Sony and Panasonic.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:06pm
I agree with AntrimMAn.  I think Pananasonic have the best picture quality.  Not saying there are others arent as good but from my shopping around for a tv 2 years ago I went a  bit mad checking out tv's and stuff.

I have a plasma panasonic I bought for 500 beans and HD on upc for sport and its better than anything I see in the shops or at the sky hd stalls.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Wee James
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:12pm
4 k wtf, are ye gone mental lads? Jaysus i wouldnt consider spending more than 1 k.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:26pm
Bitored spending 50E on a toothbrush and Byrne 4k on a tv ... fml

Looks like these 2 weren't hit by the recession

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

Bitored spending 50E on a toothbrush and Byrne 4k on a tv ... fml

Looks like these 2 weren't hit by the recession

I didn't spend 4k on a TV... Fs i wish. This is some TV mind you, you're women in the shop starting tell me it has a camera and a touch screen remote! I just want to watch football and Netflix LOL 

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:32pm
4k is the picture resolution! not bloody 4 grand  LOL 

Posted By: Wee James
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:36pm
Well thank god for that LOL   what is this 4 k thing about? I dont care whats on my tv as long as it works.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:37pm
Get yourself a Samsung 42inch for about 500e
Eastenders will look the same on that as it will on a 4grand gold plated telly
With the 3,500 you save,have yourself a nice holiday,maybe Vegas for 10days...jobs a goodun👍

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 11:02pm
Christ the f**king night. 4k is not the price. It's approx 4000 pixels horizontal....Ultra HD if you will

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 11:17pm
oops LOL

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:11am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

4k is the picture resolution! not bloody 4 grand  LOL 

f**kin hell i was thinking to myself there's some flash cxnts on here LOL LG has a great picture quality i find

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 01 May 2015 at 6:15am
Haha😂😂

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:45pm
looking for a decent tv myself, they all advertise getting the irish channels thru the tv, but without an aeriel i take it that's not possible as saorview doesn't work without one?

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:51pm
As far as I know anything less than 50in and you can't actually discern a difference between 4k and HD.Unless you are getting a big screen for your stadium I can't see the reason for it.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

looking for a decent tv myself, they all advertise getting the irish channels thru the tv, but without an aeriel i take it that's not possible as saorview doesn't work without one?

Yes you need an aerial but the indoor aerial are supposed to work with it fine.
Tesco were selling a Samsung 32" Full HD TV for €199.Maybe check in store see what they have left.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:20pm
http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/led-tvs/lg-98-4k-smart-led-tv-98ub980v.html" rel="nofollow - Harvey Norman

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/led-tvs/lg-98-4k-smart-led-tv-98ub980v.html" rel="nofollow - Harvey Norman

LOL

Probably as big as his sitting room.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Yes you need an aerial but the indoor aerial are supposed to work with it fine.
Tesco were selling a Samsung 32" Full HD TV for €199.Maybe check in store see what they have left.

you learn somethin new evry day, did not know these still existed!

Bit below my budget hbLOL

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 7:28am
Now sure it was in Colenge but Loger said he had just saw a TV in a shop window for €39.999 , yep 40k for a TV Pinch

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:09pm
Check here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105 

The threads with clearance items have some great deals, they do them every couple of months but there may be still some good tellys in the last one available

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:32pm
Tv for 450-500. Any recommends lads?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 12:39am
Power City and im sure the rest have some 48-50 inch tellys with saorview and satellite tuners built in for that price. With the satellite tuner, just plug in the cable from the sky dish and you get all the UK freesat channels for ..well free.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 12:47am
Amazon have a Sharp 40" TV for £179.Saorview/Freeview built in and is full HD.A great bargain at that price.

Edit: sorry ,deal is over now its back to full price ,not a bargain anymore Cry

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:58am
Power City is your best bet.

I had my eye on a couple of TV's and Power City was the cheapest and handiest too.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:38am
Id hardly get a tv that size for that money Shamster?

Ill look on their website now.

Edit - ok i would LOL

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:41am
Can one of you lads recommend one? Rossie, Shame, HB>?

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-14&cat=Vision%20+%20Computing&action=brandstory" rel="nofollow - http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-14&cat=Vision%20+%20Computing&action=brandstory

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 9:09am
pricespy.ie is a great site, compares all the Irish stores. If you know what TV you want they'll point you where to buy it cheaper, otherwise just browse by TV.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 10:50am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-14&cat=Vision%20+%20Computing&action=brandstory" rel="nofollow - http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-14&cat=Vision%20+%20Computing&action=brandstory
nordmende is a great brand McG. They fell away in prominence with Samsung etc rising but they have always been around and build great stuff. The only one id personally avoid is the LG. I have the 32 inch version in my bedroom and I just dont find it as smooth to operate as my Samsung in the sitting room or the Bush 18inch I had in my room previously. Actually the bush was a great telly in fairness. Its in the young lads room now and not a bother on it.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

nordmende is a great brand McG. They fell away in prominence with Samsung etc rising but they have always been around and build great stuff. The only one id personally avoid is the LG. I have the 32 inch version in my bedroom and I just dont find it as smooth to operate as my Samsung in the sitting room or the Bush 18inch I had in my room previously. Actually the bush was a great telly in fairness. Its in the young lads room now and not a bother on it.

Thanks Sham.

Heading down on lunch so will have a look at the Nordmende.

My main tv is an LG, and have found it fine but i'm not fussy so wouldnt even know about tvs being smooth etc. but take your point.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 12:20pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-40R453C-Full-Inch-Model/dp/B00TH5D0DS" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-40R453C-Full-Inch-Model/dp/B00TH5D0DS

Thats a fine TV for the price.Saorview/Freeview built in. Works out about €370 delivered.
Its in Powercity as well but it €70 dearer.

Depends what you need the TV for,will it be the main TV in house ?If you looking for a second TV/bedroom TV then the above one is perfect,you might want to go more expensive if you to replace your main tv.

Richersounds have a Sony Bravia Smart TV for €500ish and it comes with 6 year guarantee .

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:47pm
ok quick bump on this thread, looking for a new tv, but may hold off till the january sales looking at spending €900 - €1000, 50/55" screen.  not very techy so someone might explain whats better oled or 4k led. all recommendations appreciated. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm
PowerCity is usually the cheapest.

I got a UltraHA\4k TV -

This looks like a decent TV - http://powercity.ie/?par=10-14-218651" rel="nofollow - http://powercity.ie/?par=10-14-218651

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 4:11pm
There is often great deals on Amazon for TV's.RicherSounds another good place to look.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 4:31pm
Your neighbour's front room.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 6:30pm
Usually very decent one-day sales on Black Friday (last Friday in November) if you can hold off

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 6:51pm
A fella in power city once told me that UK TVs don't always work here. He was speaking sh#t, right? With sterling the way it is, theres serious bargains to be had on loads of things for a few weeks at least until suppliers up the costs and it gets passed on.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

A fella in power city once told me that UK TVs don't always work here. He was speaking sh#t, right? With sterling the way it is, theres serious bargains to be had on loads of things for a few weeks at least until suppliers up the costs and it gets passed on.

He might have meant some UK TVs wouldn't be able to display Saorview ,they just wouldn't have that tuner built in .Other than that a UK TV will work here.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 7:31pm

He might have meant some UK TVs wouldn't be able to display Saorview ,they just wouldn't have that tuner built in .Other than that a UK TV will work here.

Thanks, stupid question maybe but if I got a UK TV and then decide to get rid of Sky in the future, how would I get RTE then?

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 8:12pm

Thanks, stupid question maybe but if I got a UK TV and then decide to get rid of Sky in the future, how would I get RTE then?

would need to get a decoder.Best thing to do is find a TV you want and then its fairly straightforward to find out if it will decode Saorview.
You are as well to buy a tv that is saorview compatible,a huge amount of them are now anyways.I have bought a few TV's from UK the last few years and always got saorview compatible .

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 8:21pm
Sound, thanks.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net