Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51003
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 2:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: LOI U17
Posted By: Yellow Belly
Subject: LOI U17
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:57pm
LOI U17 any news if this league going to start at all this year or is it going to be put back for the 2 year? What LOI Clubs putting teams in and what Junior/Schoolboy Clubs are going to enter it if they're allowed?

-------------
get me out of hear

Replies:
Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:21pm
It is my understanding it happens next season and is LoI only and all LoI clubs have to enter a team.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: John W
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:28pm
Correct as part of the licensing agreement all LOI sides must have an u17 side, I would much prefer if they started at u11 and worked there way up to u17 rather take a full squad of players from local leagues just fulfill an obligation.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by John W John W wrote:

Correct as part of the licensing agreement all LOI sides must have an u17 side, I would much prefer if they started at u11 and worked there way up to u17 rather take a full squad of players from local leagues just fulfill an obligation.
That will happen in time. The FAI have to take a gradual approach to stop the schoolboy clubs openly revolting.

I fear a number of clubs will see it as an obligation and vote it out in time, like the reserve league, U21's, A championship etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:32pm
Isn't it suppose to start in September? From what I've heard U16's will still be able to play with their own schoolboy team and also play LOI U17 is this true.

-------------
get me out of hear

Posted By: sullo-bohs
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:42pm
http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-seeks-expressions-of-interest-for-national-u17-league

Says here FAI are looking for other clubs to express interest who are non-LOI. Would imagine it will be similar to current under 19 league in terms of teams. There are only 3 non LOI teams in the under 19s though so can't imagine under 17s will have anymore (Letterkenny, Salthill and Mervue).

Also says it starts August 2015.

-------------
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:44pm
Would these be in a full time league or similar to the old League Cup with a small group and then knockout?

Posted By: sullo-bohs
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:48pm
Well the 19s is two divisions, north and south so can't see why they would move away from that. What would make sense is to try and have the same teams in both 17s and 19s leagues and have the same fixtures on same days, makes it easier for clubs to travel long distance plus at least there be some kind of crowd for the kids to play in front of.

-------------
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 4:26pm
Only LoI clubs will be entering this for the first year, and then non-League clubs will be considered. Starting this year.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 4:53pm
[QUOTE=MayoMark] Only LoI clubs will be entering this for the first year, and then non-League clubs will be considered. Starting this year.

But wasn't advertised as expression of interest from Clubs not just league of Ireland clubs.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 6:26pm
It was indeed YB, but that's the call we got here.

-------------

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 7:40pm
Understand it's to start in September with a short season to December. Then to bring it into line with the new calendar year set up to start again in March. But I don't knew if the players who play in this short season will be under age for the new season in March. If they are not it's a pity we have been waiting for this for 3years.Why not wait until March and start then.

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:37am
But doesn't the U19 LOI run from Sept to March so why can't the U17. Does anyone know if U16 schoolboys can still play with their own clubs and also play U17 LOI I heard this is the case but not sure how correct is the information.

A junior club I know express an interest in joining the U17 leagues but were told that it could not happen as a LOI team was so close to their caption area it couldn't sustain two LOI teams. The junior team don't want to pass their schoolboys players on to a LOI club after spending years putting time and effort into these players for them to reap the rewards. I'm sure this is going to be the same all around the country.

-------------
get me out of hear

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 4:54am
Originally posted by Yellow Belly Yellow Belly wrote:

Does anyone know if U16 schoolboys can still play with their own clubs and also play U17 LOI I heard this is the case but not sure how correct is the information.

Surely U-17 will have to be a case of dual registration or the junior clubs will go daft.

I actually think this is a really good idea if its done properly.

[/QUOTE] I fear a number of clubs will see it as an obligation and vote it out in time, like the reserve league, U21's, A championship etc.[/QUOTE]

The underage teams idea is coming from Ruud Dokter (FAI performance director) its his plan to go to U-15 next and id imagine after they are established U-13 and U-11 leagues wont be far behind. Its unlikely clubs will be let vote it out as it would look bad for Dokter.

Its accepted by all the top coaches in the world that if a kid hasn't been taught the basics by 12 years old he's not going to learn them after that. The Irish underage coaches regularly talk about getting 16 and 17 year old lads into teams and having to teach them how to take a touch, its the equivalent of going to secondary school and having to be taught how to add and subtract.

It also makes far more sense to spend a bit of money on developing a few youth teams that a club could get a couple of players out of every year than giving some has been 2 grand a week.

Posted By: deise
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 1:28pm
What's the feelings regard the new League from the leading Schoolboy clubs in Dublin the likes of Skbfc Joey's Belvo etc are they going to oppose it.
Not much info about the new league.

-------------
bla bla bla

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:03pm
The Kerry district league unanimously agreed last night to enter a team for the U17s after an invitation from the FAI. The KDL will be in discussions with the FAI in the coming days and weeks about this but from what iv heard from the KDL chairman, he expects duel registration to be allowed. Id be pretty sure the KDL would have being informed of this from the FAI as the clubs would have opposed it otherwise. Great news for Kerry football and a step in the right direction. Funding from the FAI was mentioned for costs such as travelling but I don't have a clue how this would work or will it be granted   

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

The Kerry district league unanimously agreed last night to enter a team for the U17s after an invitation from the FAI. The KDL will be in discussions with the FAI in the coming days and weeks about this but from what iv heard from the KDL chairman, he expects duel registration to be allowed. Id be pretty sure the KDL would have being informed of this from the FAI as the clubs would have opposed it otherwise. Great news for Kerry football and a step in the right direction. Funding from the FAI was mentioned for costs such as travelling but I don't have a clue how this would work or will it be granted   

That's superb news and could be a serious development for the league as a whole. If we could get the likes of the Mayo League, Tipperary League etc to follow suit getting them to put a senior side in the league would be the next logical step.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 2:34pm
Joeys have linked up with UCD to enter a team in this by all accounts.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 2:00pm
Speaking to a football league official today told Duel Registration is not going to be allowed in U19 and U17 LOI.
Why don't the FAI come out with a statement and let us know what's happening etc, too many unanswered questions in regard the new LOI U17.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Yellow Belly Yellow Belly wrote:

Speaking to a football league official today told Duel Registration is not going to be allowed in U19 and U17 LOI.
Why don't the FAI come out with a statement and let us know what's happening etc, too many unanswered questions in regard the new LOI U17.

They would want to tell the Kerry league about it because that's one of the 2 reasons they are entering the U17 league the other being the FAI are going to help them out with travel expenses.
You can listen to Kerry District League Secretary John O’Regan (From about 1min 30 onwards) saying just that;
https://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/kerry-set-to-compete-in-under-17-national-league/" rel="nofollow - https://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/kerry-set-to-compete-in-under-17-national-league/

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:17pm
Take everything the FAI / JD tell you with a pinch of salt I was told Wexford Youths U19 won't be able to use their players in the domestic league and that could be a problem for them.
That's why the FAI should make an announcement to clear things up so Junior clubs and LOI clubs know where they stand and not have them at each others throats. It would also clear up the uncertainty facing the young players and their parents you know what's it like when you get caught in between Junior/schoolboys and whether to make the move to join LOI. A few parents have asked me about it and can't seem to find definite answers   

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:30pm
If there isn't dual registration there wont be an U17 league. Its as simple as that.
UCD, Youths, KDL to name but a few wont be able to field a team.
Not to mention it would just be stupid.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:35pm
Youths have no underage structure have been relying on county U16 going to them. UCD have Joeys linked with them for LOI U17 and I think they have or had a affiliation with Mt Merrion schoolboys.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 7:38pm
Isn't the U17 LOI not going to feed out of the FAI ETP program.

-------------
get me out of hear

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 11:57pm
Does anyone know if mervue or salthill will have a team in the u17 league?

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: country cousin
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 12:36pm
What's the anount needed  to  finance an LOI U17 team for the year does anyone Know and how much does the FAI put towards it?

-------------
county couz

Date Posted: 06 May 2015 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Does anyone know if mervue or salthill will have a team in the u17 league?
Bump 
Or anyone know what galway based teams will be in the u19 league for next season?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:12am
Any dates + times on trials for the new U17 with LOI clubs ? 

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:37pm
U17 league to start on the 9th August 2015 and end in December 2015  also the U19 has the same starting date and finishing date.

-------------
get me out of hear

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 10:07pm
Any link to any info, can't find anything on line?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If was on FAI Facebook page this morning.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:03pm
You dont happen to know what teams are entering into the u17 and u19 leagues, or when they will be announced?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:05pm
Assume the u19s is same as this year.

And Id assume most of the big LOI clubs are entering the u17s also.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If was on FAI Facebook page this morning.

feck all info there though.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:21pm
Look at LOI 19.com  that's where I got some info

-------------
get me out of hear

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 2:21am
End in December and then start again in March is it?

Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 9:38am
Yea to bring them in line with the senior LOI I think.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 9:51am
Correct.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 9:59am
I see a LOI club advertising U17 trials on the 1st june can they hold trials as the players are this years u16's' and U15's are still signed to their schoolboy clubs until the 30th June.  Thought players can only trial for other clubs on the 1st of July and after that date.

-------------
bla bla bla

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 10:14am
Originally posted by deise deise wrote:

I see a LOI club advertising U17 trials on the 1st june can they hold trials as the players are this years u16's' and U15's are still signed to their schoolboy clubs until the 30th June.  Thought players can only trial for other clubs on the 1st of July and after that date.
I think the U-17 League allows for dual-registration so that may bypass this rule.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 10:35am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

I think the U-17 League allows for dual-registration so that may bypass this rule.

Yes similar to Cabinteely raiding the LSL outside the transfer window.
Different rules for 'summer' leagues.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:20pm

Yes similar to Cabinteely raiding the LSL outside the tranfer window.

I can understand the one re LSL but with schoolboys aren't allowed to trial until July why are the FAI not providing info on the LOI U17 and how it going to affect schoolboy  and Junior clubs.  What are these players suppose to do to avoid the usual flak that's going to come from their schoolboy/junior clubs if they turn up in June for U17 trials.

-------------
bla bla bla

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 14 May 2015 at 3:46pm
Private loi19.com announce that FAI have announced Interim U19 season 9 August 2015 to December 2015
http://loi19.com/index.php/latest-news/256-interim-season-information" rel="nofollow - http://loi19.com/index.php/latest-news/256-interim-season-information

YOB: 1996, 1997 and 1998

new u17loi online info and Social media contact
http://loi19.com/index.php/latest-news/257-loi17-com-is-born" rel="nofollow - http://loi19.com/index.php/latest-news/257-loi17-com-is-born

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Posted By: harps1954
Date Posted: 14 May 2015 at 4:56pm

Checked this out the last day - no dual-registration.  Only allowed to sign for the LOI side.  You can sign for a side when their "window" is open.  So, if LOI window is open in June/July, clubs can sign players then. 

Date Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by harps1954 harps1954 wrote:

Checked this out the last day - no dual-registration.  Only allowed to sign for the LOI side.  You can sign for a side when their "window" is open.  So, if LOI window is open in June/July, clubs can sign players then. 

So there can be no backlash from schoolboys clubs when their players go for U17 trials?

-------------
bla bla bla

Posted By: harps1954
Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 10:13am

Originally posted by harps1954 harps1954 wrote:

So there can be no backlash from schoolboys clubs when their players go for U17 trials?

That's a different matter altogether. 

There is no dual-registration, so the player will have to either sign for the LOI club or the Schoolboy club.  As for the trials, that's probably up to the player themselves (or the schoolboy club).  A bit like players going across the water I'm sure who are signed with clubs but go on trial at the cross-channel clubs. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 11:16am
For trials you have to get clearance from FAI (DDSL).
Same as travelling for Easter tournaments.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 4:12pm
15th May 2015

The Football Association of Ireland today named the clubs which will participate in its new SSE Airtricity U17 National League.

The new National League will provide another step on Ireland’s elite player pathway. Its establishment will bridge the gap between schoolboy football which runs up to U16 level and the SSE Airtricity U19 league which is now firmly established as a springboard for young talented players into adult football.

The SSE Airtricity U17 National League will offer elite players, many of whom will have graduated from the FAI’s Emerging Talent Programme, their first opportunity to play in a national league, as well as a chance to train, practice and play at an elite level in this age group.

For players at 16 years of age who do not sign for cross channel clubs, it provides an opportunity to move to elite level within Ireland, following in the footsteps of the many players who have gone on to successful professional and international careers after committing to continuing their development through the SSE Airtricity League.

Following receipt of expressions of interest, the U17 National League working group has been engaged in a detailed assessment phase during recent months. The working group reviewed aspects such as facilities, coaching qualifications, and in particular player pathway, with an emphasis on structures linking to senior football. The working group also took geographical location and strategic development of the game nationally into account when making its decisions.

In all, 22 clubs will compete, including 19 SSE Airtricity League clubs (excluding Galway United), as well as Mervue United, Salthill Devon, and the Monaghan United Cavan Football Partnership.

The first season will be truncated, running from August to December, to facilitate the move to a single calendar season. The second season will run alongside the SSE Airtricity League season, from April to November 2016. Clubs will compete in three sections nationally, as shown below:

Section 1: Bray Wanderers, UCD, Cork City, Cobh Ramblers, Limerick, Waterford United, Wexford Youths, Cabinteely

Section 2: Shamrock Rovers, St Patrick's Athletic, Mervue United, Salthill Devon, Athlone Town, Longford Town, Sligo Rovers

Section 3: Derry City, Finn Harps, Shelbourne, Monaghan United Cavan FP, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Bohemians

Each team will play the other teams in their Group on a home and away basis in the first truncated season comprising twelve fixtures.  The top two teams in each Group plus the two best third-placed teams will qualify for the quarter finals and the knock out stages.

Speaking today, FAI High Performance Director, Ruud Dokter said,

“This is an important improvement to the elite player pathway. With the reforms to the Emerging Talent Programme that came in last September catering for the U11 to U16 age groups, the SSE Airtricity U17 National League will give elite players a national platform to play, and develop in Ireland.

“Previously, we might have lost some elite players at this age group, if they didn’t progress into cross channel academy structures.  The SSE Airtricity U17 National League will provide an appropriate pathway for these elite players to continue their development on the pathway, through the SSE Airtricity U19 League to a senior career in professional football.”

In addition, the FAI Board has approved new regulation for Domestic Compensation following discussions with representatives from schoolboy football and the SSE Airtricity League clubs.

This will bring about two changes.

Firstly, under the previous regulation, the club(s) which trained a player from the age of 12 to the age when that player became professional were entitled to €500 per season.

This amount has now been reduced on an agreed sliding scale as follows:

Registered with Club for:

Season of player’s 12th birthday: €400

Season of player’s 13th birthday: €400

Season of player’s 14th birthday: €300

Season of player’s 15th birthday: €300

Season of player’s 16th birthday: €150

Season of player’s 17th birthday: €150

Season of player’s 18th birthday: €150

Season of player’s 19th birthday: €150

Season of player’s 20th birthday: €150

Season of player’s 21st birthday: €150

Season of player’s 22nd birthday: €150

Season of player’s 23rd birthday: €150

Does not apply after season of a player’s 23rd birthday.

Secondly, under the new agreement, if the player is transferred between Associations after becoming professional, the training clubs will receive up to 60% of the transfer fee as follows:

Player is transferred within 12 months of change of status: 60% of transfer fee

Player is transferred within 24 months of change of status: 45% of transfer fee

Player is transferred within 36 months of change of status: 20% of transfer fee

Player is transferred within 48 months of change of status: 10% of transfer fee

This new agreement has been approved by the FAI Board of Management and ratified by FIFA.

END

No  Kerry Team promise of dual registration must have been a white lie from FAI.

-------------
bla bla bla

Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 4:41pm
So they have a Sligo team, 2 Galway teams and refused a Mayo team. Yeah, they are very serious about Elite development. 

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 5:51pm
Mons

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Mons

G'wan the Partnership.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 15 May 2015 at 6:03pm
Oh when the partnership goes marching in

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:07am
Thanks for that detailed breakdown of the U-17 league "deise". Didnt know much about it till I read a piece on the Hoops website. Sounds like a great idea and hopefully it`ll help more kids to stay at home and finish their education, instead of taking a punt at some academy across the water and drifting into oblivion. The Cavan/Monaghan merger should be interesting, considering that pair knock the bejaysis out of each other on a gaa pitch :)

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:30am
The Monaghan United Cavan Football Partnership (or MUCkers) are delighted to announce a formal educational link shortly with The Caavan College of Furder Spud Peelin' hoy..

Good to see Mons involved, and finally we get some sensible regionalisation that needs application to the Premier Division Sub-leagues next..

Date Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:48am
I get as far as Ruud Dokter and get a fit of the giggles. Every time

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:58pm
UCD are holding trials for U17 LOI on this Saturday

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 2:04pm
Season starts 9 August. There are 3 groups non LOI teams are Monaghan, Mervue and Salthill. Short season from August till December. Season 2016 will be in line with Senior season and start March 2016.

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 2:14pm
quick question are players 1999 able to play next season at U17 LOI staring inApril was told theY couldn't.  

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 6:17pm
Are any of the LOI clubs still looking for players for this age group?  

-------------
bla bla bla

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:10am
Very disappointing there is no kerry league side after there was so much talk that there would be. Also the fact there's no mayo team is a joke. Maybe rovers will take the best of the talent from there.
The groups also seem very strange surely rovers Mervue Salthill harps and derry and possibly even mons/cavan should be in the same group.
Despite that I think this is the best idea in a very long time. It was ridiculous that there hasn't been a proper youth structure in the league.
The monaghan/cavan partnership looks very promising. Hopefully it's the foundation for their return to senior football.
The setting down of financial payment between loi and junior clubs is welcome too and the fact they have a stake in the player if he's sold on in a big transfer makes it in junior clubs interests to produce loi players

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Also the fact there's no mayo team is a joke. Maybe rovers will take the best of the talent from there.

No maybe about it. Their last 3 years of U19 have been by far made up of a majority Mayo lads. I find it incredible that a club who haven't had a youth team in their near 100 year existence can get into this over a club who has been producing most of their young talent. Absolutely ridiculous.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:34am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Also the fact there's no mayo team is a joke. Maybe rovers will take the best of the talent from there.

No maybe about it. Their last 3 years of U19 have been by far made up of a majority Mayo lads. I find it incredible that a club who haven't had a youth team in their near 100 year existence can get into this over a club who has been producing most of their young talent. Absolutely ridiculous.

Sligo rovers has a lot of supporters in mayo so it's not that ridiculous and until mayo has a club in the LOI Rovers are the nearest senior club

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:50am
It's not ridiculous that they looked for expressions of interest from clubs and rejected ours on no grounds whatsoever? What on earth has fan base got to do with an U17 league? Is this about development or what? We are working our holes off down here and it's not so we can be a feeder club for Sligo Rovers.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 3:00am
I have absolutely nothing to do with the FAI or their decisions so I can't answer that. The only guess I can make is funding would be a big issue or perhaps they thought there was a pathway there already for players in mayo/sligo/leitrim with rovers. The point of the U17 league is to feed players into senior league of Ireland sides. Until there's a senior alternative based in mayo rovers are the next best thing. My reference to the fan base is very relevant as I'm sure rovers supporters in mayo of which their are many would be much happier with local players playing for rovers and progressing into the senior team like boylan has recently rather than going to some other club they don't support.
I believe there should be a mayo team in the league it's just too big of a county with a good underage structure not to have a senior side. I doubt Castlebar Celtic or Mayo league would be out of their depth in the first division. Saying that a team from there would always be up against with GAA. That's unfortunately why it hasnt happened. I'd love to see a kerry and tipp team too but they won't happen for the same reasons.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 7:59am
Wasn't Kerry promised dual registration by the fai and a help out with travel expenses read it on here a while back maybe that was the deal breaker why they didn't enter a U17 side. They won the Kennedy Cup as well this year and produce good talented players down there another cock up by somebody probably the usual suspects.

-------------
get me out of hear

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 8:55am

It's not ridiculous that they looked for expressions of interest from clubs and rejected ours on no grounds whatsoever? What on earth has fan base got to do with an U17 league? Is this about development or what? We are working our holes off down here and it's not so we can be a feeder club for Sligo Rovers.

Not having a dig here but have ye ever contemplated trying to join the league? Obviously would be a massive expense but was just wondering.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:12am
Seems some of the better DDSL u16 players are going to play in the u17.
Looks like the value of the u16 Premier will be devalued some what

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

Not having a dig here but have ye ever contemplated trying to join the league? Obviously would be a massive expense but was just wondering.

Yeah I think that's the point here. What is needed is an integrated approach from u17 through u19 to senior in the one club. Afaik u15 is on the cards too down the line.

However, as Mon/Cavan and the GUFC, Salthill & Mervue situation already provide anomalies to this then perhaps a Mayo team should have been entered. That said, I have it on impeccable authority that the Fai have no time whatsoever for Castlebar Celtic. Not sure what happened but was told so in the past in relation to another matter.

As for dual registrations, it couldn't be allowed in Kerry and then not throughout the league. I'm glad they haven't been allowed as it would have resulted in clubs just fielding teams and not actually having any underage structure in place at all.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 11:59am
Well, I can put it on the record that I have no time for them either

@ nah nah, no, there's no way Celtic could enter the senior LOI. It would just be way too much in terms of expense. However, who knows what will happen in future. The U17 league is more that doable for us. 

@BitOfRed, the reason there is no LOI team in Mayo is not because of the GAA. It is because of expense. We tried our luck in the LOI A Championship. It was a pathetic competition. Terribly run, a total shambles. And with the expense (Not least the ridiculous affiliation fees) nearly floored us. I'd say if the FAI are pissed at us, it's because we pulled out of that. It's a good job we did pull out. A waste of time. No means to an end. 

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 12:04pm
Many scouts at these games lads?

I was playing with Kilkenny City in the old under 20s LOI league a good few years back and there were plenty of scouts attending games.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Seems some of the better DDSL u16 players are going to play in the u17.
Looks like the value of the u16 Premier will be devalued some what

Yes this was what I expected.

We've recently made contact with a LOI club in Dublin to propose a link (pathway) for our players as per the FAI PDP.

They said we are the first club to contact them !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 2:06am

the reason there is no LOI team in Mayo is not because of the GAA. It is because of expense. We tried our luck in the LOI A Championship. It was a pathetic competition. Terribly run, a total shambles. And with the expense (Not least the ridiculous affiliation fees) nearly floored us. 

I agree with you about the A championship. It was a joke to put reserve sides in with LOI. Proper provincial/regional leagues with promotion into the first division would have been much more useful. The affiliation fees are crippling long established league clubs so there's no way new teams could afford them.
But GAA is the reason there is no interest in a league club in mayo apart from with committed people like yourself. Obviously it's not as simple as that and the leagues problems have alot to do too

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 3:38pm
List of Fixtures for upcoming season  on FAI website today.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:03pm
I would hope when the U-19 and U-17 leagues kick off together in march next year that the fixture will be on the same day. Would take a bit of plannin but would be great to have U-17 U-19 games on the same day as senior games. I know the youth teams usually dont play on main pitchs so its very possible to do and would save alot on travel expenses. It would be great to have young lads around older players too.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:31pm

I would hope when the U-19 and U-17 leagues kick off together in march next year that the fixture will be on the same day. Would take a bit of plannin but would be great to have U-17 U-19 games on the same day as senior games. I know the youth teams usually dont play on main pitchs so its very possible to do and would save alot on travel expenses. It would be great to have young lads around older players too.

Should be do able because they hopefully be playing in decent weather and pitches won't be getting plough up and I think the U17 and u19 are starting in April but would save a lot on expenses if two teams travelled on the same day to away games.

-------------
get me out of hear

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:46am
Heard Martin Russell on newstalk tonight saying he and pat o sullivan were doing up the cost of the U17 and 19 sides and came up with a figure of 190k. Now he did say that's for the half season this year and the full season next but your still talking 150k to run both sides every year.
That's a serious outlay and will require massive investment and help from the FAI or the whole thing will be very short lived.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:39pm
Anywhere to view the u17 squads?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:59pm
Looking forward to the U/17 league. Hope it gets a bit more coverage than the U/19.Also a representative team from the league should be selected and play a few games against academies in England.

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: outsider
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:07pm
[QUOTE=BigStrongMan] Anywhere to view the u17 squads?

LOI U17.com some squads announced on it and Bray wanderers have squad on their site/facebook

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 10:25am
Originally posted by outsider outsider wrote:

[QUOTE=BigStrongMan] Anywhere to view the u17 squads?

LOI U17.com some squads announced on it and Bray wanderers have squad on their site/facebook
can't find that site,any link to it?

-------------

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 12:36pm
I worry about these leagues especially the U17 one.

Both Pats and Rovers are paying players to play for them in this league that could be playing U16 Premier. Also I would suggest the most managers and coaches in the league are also getting paid.

I will give you an example of the club I am closest to.
Last year St Joseph's Boys 15P were the best team in Ireland. All Ireland winners against another excellent team in St Kevin's. I believe the two were 1 and 2 in the league too.

In the set up their team have one Uefa A and two Uefa B coaches as well as a general manager type figure with years of experience in developing players. These are volunteers. They're there because they love being involved in producing talented teams,footballers and people.There's no real pressure on them to win leagues or cups. It is all about the development of players. The management team have been coaching young players successfully for many years.

Contrast that to the new LOI set up. A lot of clubs will probably have coaches of an equal standard and the off the pitch set up in terms of equipment, gear, training areas will probably be better in most cases. However, with managers and coaches getting paid, an expectation of results then comes into things. Instead of player development, emphasis on results comes into play. If you look at the LOI Premier Division a lot of teams are set up to frustrate the opposition and don't play a good brand of football. Is that how we want U17s to play?

I believe Ger O'Brien and Aidan Price are Pats and Rovers managers. I know both have been involved in schoolboy football with Francis and Cherry Orchard and have coaching qualifications but are they really better equipped to produce players than the volunteers at Joes, Kevin's, Home Farm etc? I'm not so sure.

A fella high up in Cabinteely told me they expect the U17s to cost them 30k this year. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see this as being sustainable.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 1:28pm

http://loi17.com/

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

A fella high up in Cabinteely told me they expect the U17s to cost them 30k this year. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see this as being sustainable.
If they sell one player in ten years for 300k then its paid for.

I do take your point though, some coaches arent fully qualified and are being rushed through the system.
They do not have the experience of said coaches you mention.

Time will tell.

-------------

Posted By: TheCoach
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 3:02pm
The U17 league will be streets ahead of DDSL Premier in terms of player development. To suggest that managers will put preference on winning over player development is wrong. Every manager/coaches job is to produce players capable of playing at a higher level. Look at the manner in which the U19 league is played, massively technically based with focus on development and this is at the age where winning and competition should be made important.

Qualified, professional coaches working at this level is vital. I know for a fact that not all coaches are being paid at U17/19 level, meaning every coach at this level is their through love of football. Any volunteer coach with the necessary qualifications would be mad not to want to work at the highest level in this country, particularly with U15 and U13 about to follow.

Also, there is no chance players at U17 or U19 are getting paid, unless they're making first team appearances.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 4:28pm
[QUOTE=The Boy Z

Both Pats and Rovers are paying players to play for them in this league that could be playing U16 Premier

How much are they getting paid? I know of one lad who's gone to rovers and I'm sure he getting looked after he's has a 200 mile round trip from S/east to make training and matches.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 4:06pm
Youths have no Qualified B license coach doing anything with their U17 squad but have three good lads looking after them I've been told this from one of parents with son involved and not getting paid.

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 4:23pm
Mervue United beat Shamrock Rovers 4-3 in their opening match this afternoon.

Posted By: Benteke
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm
As far as I know the U17 LOI concludes in December. Can those U17 players then transfer/play for the same club in the local schoolboy leagues?

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Benteke Benteke wrote:

As far as I know the U17 LOI concludes in December. Can those U17 players then transfer/play for the same club in the local schoolboy leagues?

If they are signed up to a LOI club then no. There's no dual registration.
If they want to return to the local club then that's their choice.
It's an either or situation.

-------------

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:07pm

Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

If they sell one player in ten years for 300k then its paid for.

I do take your point though, some coaches arent fully qualified and are being rushed through the system.
They do not have the experience of said coaches you mention.

Time will tell.

Fair point. I'm not sure every club will produce a player that an overseas club will pay 300k for within 10 years. English clubs are less likely to take an Irish kid over now at 15-17 because they'll have to pay 100s of thousands to LOI clubs rather than 10s of thousands to DDSL clubs.

On the flip side, we'll hopefully be producing better players if the aims of the league are achieved.

Originally posted by TheCoach TheCoach wrote:

The U17 league will be streets ahead of DDSL Premier in terms of player development. To suggest that managers will put preference on winning over player development is wrong. Every manager/coaches job is to produce players capable of playing at a higher level. Look at the manner in which the U19 league is played, massively technically based with focus on development and this is at the age where winning and competition should be made important.

Qualified, professional coaches working at this level is vital. I know for a fact that not all coaches are being paid at U17/19 level, meaning every coach at this level is their through love of football. Any volunteer coach with the necessary qualifications would be mad not to want to work at the highest level in this country, particularly with U15 and U13 about to follow.

Also, there is no chance players at U17 or U19 are getting paid, unless they're making first team appearances.

You are wrong about this. I have spoken directly to 2 players getting paid to play for the U17 teams.

And I don't agree that you can vouch for every manager/coach in the league as to what their ambitions for their teams are. 

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 3:18pm
What club(s) is paying 16 year old players?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 3:29pm
If clubs are paying youth players a wage then said clubs would want to take a good look at themselves.
To run youth teams without paying them is going to set back most clubs in the league 100k+ a season. To add in the expense of paying players that the odds say may never even make it in the game is beyond belief.

Fair enough given players expenses because I understand some players` closest LOI club may be in Dublin which could be still be a good distance from them.
But giving a lad a wage at 16 who has been playing local football up to that stage is nuts. If a young lad hasn't attracted the interest of a decent academy in England its in his interest to play in an academy here.
I don't believe players are being paid and maybe people are confusing expenses for payment.

I also read this week that 4 lads picked Stevenages academy over going into the LOI set up. That's very worrying.

-------------

Posted By: TheCoach
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 10:34pm
I've heard of one case where a U17 player has turned down a deal in England and taken a pro deal with a LOI club, but after that I highly doubt clubs are paying anything beyond expenses for players.

Most coaches within the league are their on merit and it would be up to the clubs to research and pick a coach with development as his main priority. This isn't the case within school boy systems where coaches prioritise winning at all costs just to feed parents egos so they don't move to the next club down the road after a strop.

Having worked at both levels, the LOI set up is streets ahead of any school boy system for developing our best young players.

Posted By: Xpro
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 11:39pm
I heard the same only today "Bitored". Four of our most promising 16-year-olds have recently signed for Stevenage. Now if it was Southampton or Crewe I could understand, as those clubs have two of the best academy structures in England. But Stevenage?

I love the idea of this U-17 league and it`s not before it`s time. The rest of Europe has been pumping millions into youth infrastructure and Iceland now has 9 fully-covered arenas for the development of youth football. The FAI are playing catch-up but at least they`re finally addressing the problem of developing players here at home.   

-------------
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 1:43pm
I know there has only been two rounds of games for most teams so far, but just wondering if anyone who has been to a game has seen any players worth keeping an eye on.

Posted By: grassrooths
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 8:51pm
i have been told that mervue and salthill devon can play there loi u17 players in the schoolboy league in galway surely this is unfair as the other teams would not have a chance against them and would get demoralised.

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:27am
Originally posted by outsider outsider wrote:

[QUOTE=The Boy Z

Both Pats and Rovers are paying players to play for them in this league that could be playing U16 Premier

How much are they getting paid? I know of one lad who's gone to rovers and I'm sure he getting looked after he's has a 200 mile round trip from S/east to make training and matches.
What's happened to that 80km rule or is that gone now?

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Thats only for schoolboys football.

The FAI u17 is a higher level than that so does not apply.

-------------

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 1:10pm

Thanks

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: country cousin
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 7:45pm

Thanks
Reading the FAI rules lbefore Im sure the 80km rule applies to all U16 players it doesn't state that LOI is exempt.

-------------
county couz

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net