Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50995
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 3:42pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Islamic State - Ruthless Beyond Belief
Posted By: heyirish
Subject: Islamic State - Ruthless Beyond Belief
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:00pm
the Jordanian pilot captured in December has been burned alive. Video/images posted on internet. I actually feel sick

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:09pm
f**king vile animals

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:10pm
Openly supported by Saudia Arabia, whose leader the West were fawning over last week.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:12pm
its not as if they set him alight and killed him shortly after. They let him burn. Jaysus I knew they were bad but this is shocking

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:14pm
Why did you watch it? Did it pop up in the middle of Bela and Charlie having a pint in McCoys?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:16pm
How can people watch this and beheadings Unhappy

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:16pm
People get curious. You need a really hard stomach to watch that stuff.

Although technically it's against the law viewing that sort of content it's not like you're gonna be telling someone in the middle of Starbucks about it.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why did you watch it? Did it pop up in the middle of Bela and Charlie having a pint in McCoys?

I didn't watch it!! just looking at the news reports.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:23pm
Fair enough HeyIrish.

Coyne,curious? Curious? I am as curious as they come but I have got a rough idea what happens when you burn somebody to death or cut their head off.
Curious is trying anal or tofu, that is f**ked up.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:24pm
Fair enough PM. That made me laugh though LOL

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

the Jordanian pilot captured in December has been burned alive. Video/images posted on internet. I actually feel sick

PM me on the link there.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

PM me on the link there.

Have it on disc. I can burn you a copy and fire it in the post?

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:30pm
FFS

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm
Was killed a month ago. f**kers we're trying to con the Jordanians into releasing the female suicide bomber only the Jordanians looked for a proof a life

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:33pm
These kunts are doing everything possible to provoke a certain type of reaction.  I hope cool heads prevail. 

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:48pm
I saw a graphic earlier indicating that there are 30 people that have travelled from Ireland to assist IS. Hopefully they are identified and restricted re-entry. Or they just meet Mr Mayhem.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

These kunts are doing everything possible to provoke a certain type of reaction.  I hope cool heads prevail. 

That's pretty much all they've got though. Shock value. Their PR and marketing is top notch. As a fighting force though, they're mainly incompetent and poorly trained, their Chechen force (1,000+ fighters) aside.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I saw a graphic earlier indicating that there are 30 people that have travelled from Ireland to assist IS. Hopefully they are identified and restricted re-entry. Or they just meet Mr Mayhem.

F*ck that. Hopefully the stupid ****s meet a grizzly end.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:17pm
They f*cked a lad off a multi-storey building too because he was gay, don't know how he survived the fall.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

They f*cked a lad off a multi-storey building too because he was gay, don't know how he survived the fall.

He survived.. But the people watching down below watching f**ked him even more tossing rocks at him Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

F*ck that. Hopefully the stupid ****s meet a grizzly end.

Would say a good few of these ****s are getting unmerciful beatings off the Jordanian prison guards as we speak

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

He survived.. But the people watching down below watching f**ked him even more and were tossing their rocks over him Thumbs Down
Shocked

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:11pm
Jordanians aren't f**king around the failed female suicide bomber is to be executed tomorrow

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Jordanians aren't f**king around the failed female suicide bomber is to be executed tomorrow

Probably not the best punishment for an attempted suicide bomber

The king of Jordan has cut short his visit to the US. Shizzo is going to go dizzo.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:26pm
Rioting in the Pilot's hometown - The city is known for being very against the Coalition.. If handled wrongly it could turn ugly

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

He survived.. But the people watching down below watching f**ked him even more and were tossing their rocks over him Thumbs Down
Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:58pm
It is a really out there theory but maybe if we(the west), stopped selling them weapons........

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:09pm
The West isn't selling I.S. weapons, but the Saudis and Qataris are just giving them to them, along with cash. The West had been training them though (funnily enough, in Jordan!) and allowing aid to get to them through Turkey. 

They also got most of their tanks and hardware when they scared the life out of the most half-assed army in the M.E., the Iraqi Army.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:25pm

The West isn't selling I.S. weapons, but the Saudis and Qataris are just giving them to them, along with cash. The West had been training them though (funnily enough, in Jordan!) and allowing aid to get to them through Turkey. 

They also got most of their tanks and hardware when they scared the life out of the most half-assed army in the M.E., the Iraqi Army.

And who sells them to the Saudis knowing that they openly support Isis?
When I say them, I mean the whole middle east, trying to work out which side the west is on in the whole thing is deliberately indecipherable, as long as arms are sold.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:30pm
...s'pose so! Approve

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:31pm

And who sells them to the Saudis knowing that they openly support Isis?
When I say them, I mean the whole middle east, trying to work out which side the west is on in the whole thing is deliberately indecipherable, as long as arms are sold.

You can't just say the west as a general thing either, if the Brits and yanks won't sell you can be damn sure the frog will try and sell them their sh*te

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:34pm
Why not? You just backed up why I can! There are also China, Russia and worryingly now Belarus, among the top arms exporters

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:37pm
*Makes note to add Belarussian arms manufacturers to shares portfolio* 

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:38pm

Why not? You just backed up why I can! There are also China, Russia and worryingly now Belarus, among the top arms exporters

Yeah no shortage of suppliers or cash

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
If you want to buy shares, lockheed Martin and Halliburton are the way to go. As long as there is chaos in the middle east and the likelihood of a republican government in Washington, shares will rise. A much safer bet than a megalomaniac in Minsk

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:48pm

If you want to buy shares, lockheed Martin and Halliburton are the way to go. As long as there is chaos in the middle east and the likelihood of a republican government in Washington, shares will rise. A much safer bet than a megalomaniac in Minsk

Ahh, I was being facetious. I couldn't ethically or morally ever allow myself to profit off something so inherently vile and evil as weapons manufacturing. I'll stick to good, wholesome industries like big pharma, oil and the tobacco industry, thank you very much..!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:53pm
So was I! I should have added just don't watch the news

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:01pm
As an aside, there's some very illuminating pieces about ISIS and other Middle Easty type things in this guys blog. Well worth a nose...

http://pando.com/author/garybrecher/

-------------

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:58pm

The Raytheon Massachusetts employees showed up at the protest against Operation Iraqi Freedom at Boston Common in March 2003, they were trying to start fights with the protesters.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 11:00pm

As an aside, there's some very illuminating pieces about ISIS and other Middle Easty type things in this guys blog. Well worth a nose...

http://pando.com/author/garybrecher/

P A N D O     there's only one P A N D O there's only one....

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 11:21pm
Hahaha!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 11:22pm
That'll never get old!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:08am
That blogger has a decent knowledge of the situation but his writing style grates, he is far more interested in being right than beingiinteresting and is awfully hypocritical

-------------

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:27am

That blogger has a decent knowledge of the situation but his writing style grates, he is far more interested in being right than beingiinteresting and is awfully hypocritical
Sounds like a few people here.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:31am
Surely that is the whole point ofva forum!

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:39am
Watching a former Jordanian general on Newsnight yesterday he implied that they would become more actively involved in the war against IS. 
He spoke of the need for 'boots on the ground'. Jordan may become a front runner in any ground offensive.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:43am
In fairness she has two fine weapons

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 11:29am

Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

That's pretty much all they've got though. Shock value. Their PR and marketing is top notch. As a fighting force though, they're mainly incompetent and poorly trained, their Chechen force (1,000+ fighters) aside.

I'm not sure what you base that on.  These lads had taken over huge swathes of Syria and Iraq before the world even knew they existed.  

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 11:46am
The Americans knew about them, they just hadn't worked out in which way they would be most beneficial.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 11:52am

The Americans knew about them, they just hadn't worked out in which way they would be most beneficial

So have they worked it out now?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:29pm
Kind of, the gist I get is this. It is extremely complex.
The US is allied with Saudi Arabia because they front a peaceful middle east and Barry and co. Like their oil. SA support ISIS and give them weapons for free because they share a similar view of the region.
America supports the Iraqi government against ISIS but not the Syrian government against ISIS, though they don't openly support ISIS, there is some evidence of both the USA and UK selling ISIS weapons to fight Assad back when Assad was the eternal enemy, he is still the enemy but the eternal enemy is now isis

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:21pm

Kind of, the gist I get is this. It is extremely complex.
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Fancy that to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog;
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I don't know how she swallowed a cow;
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
There was an old lady who swallowed a horse...
She's dead, of course!

Thanks PM I think I understand it now.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:32pm
That is pretty close! Modern warfare is all about divide and confuse

-------------

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:01am
For what's it worth on a football forum, condolences to the Jordanian pilot who was murdered, horrific viewing for his family. RIP 

It's truly remarkable how "sophisticated" and Hollywood-esque these horror shows have become. It's interesting to watch in their last moments just how complicit and almost docile the captives become as "willing actors". I guess they are already resigned to their fate and just playing out the final scene numbly. 
There is a clear attempt on the part of ISIS with these slick sick videos to draw the viewers attention to the co-relation between the impact of Jordan's participation in the "Coalition" with the callous repercussions that will befall those who target ISIS and their heartland.

Hussein walks an extremely delicate tightrope right now. Any rash fcuk-up to further keep the White House & Whitehall impressed with his "loyalty" and he risks upsetting not only the extremely complex ethnic balance in his own country but also risks ending the elaborate apparatus & hegemony of power he, his extended family and the tribal groups he has long since bought off have carefully and astutely developed. 
About half the population of Jordan are Palestinian. There are also significant numbers of Iraqis in addition to minorities of Syrians, Lebanese & Chechen's. All largely Sunni and not exactly fans of Assad. There is very little appetite amongst Jordanian citizens for a Military Invasion of Syria and for good reason.
The view of Jordan ironically in the West is largely that of a plucky, benign, moderate, largely well functioning democracy craved and admired by all "progressive" peace loving Arabs of the region. This isn't the reality at all. Palestinian friends of mine explained long before the current Syrian Conflict erupted that in fact Syria (ironically under an Alawite in Assad) was the country long looked up to in the Arab World (by all sects) for it's diversity, tolerance of intellectual discussion throughout all levels of society, a thriving art scene, film industry, relaxed social norms and relative freedom.  Isn't it ironic therefore that the West has now found itself opposing that secularist tolerance it itself lauds & espouses yet often itself falls genuinely short of?

Hussein and his old man before him have very clearly and unashamedly nailed their colours to the Western mast in recent decades, feeding that cycle of Western "backing" in return for the purchase of vast quantities of Western made weapons. That is the heavily conditional quid pro quo nature of Western "help"; there's no altruistic free lunch at this drive-thru. 
The U.S., France and U.K. are the largest sellers of military equipment to Jordan, and not just to Jordan in that region. At a very bottom dollar realpolitik financial level, it is in these nations interests to continue those arms sales, but those arms must at some point be used, i.e. to kill other humans,  otherwise there will eventually be a clamour from the citizens in countries such as Jordan who have to pay for them as to why they are being purchased at all.
Equally, these same Western Nations for which the arms industry is a significant component of their domestic economies, also need a reason, an excuse if you will, to explain mass production and procurement of eye-wateringly expensive weapon systems to their own citizens. 

If you look back over U.S. history since Independence it's very interesting because you won't find a single decade where either the U.S. or U.K. didn't fight a war somewhere in the World and in addition frequently supplied weapons to allow other compatible like-minded Nations/paramilitaries/guerrilla groups to fight devastating proxy wars on their behalf, which were manipulated, directed and controlled at the very highest state levels. 
For just a cursory understanding of this see U.S. involvement in Central America/Sub-Saharan Africa in the 70s & 80s or U.K. exploitation of Arab divisions in the period between WW1 up to the creation of the State of Israel or alot closer to home the circuitous supply of weapons thru Brian Nelson & the UDA and the UK State orchestrated terror groups such as the Loyalist & UDR staffed Glennane Gang that terrorised the Nationalist community and attempted to reduce Native support for armed resistance to foreign armed occupation.  The human repercussions of these policies of both Washington and London are scattered throughout the World in graves from Newry to Nicaragua.
So there is nothing fanciful or conspiratorial in what I am saying, the evidence is there in spades if one cares to educate oneself rather than be educated by the same elements that provide cover for said States.

In short, Nations who continue in 2015 to act with Imperialistic fervour in the moral belief that they must endure the 21st Century's version of the White Man's Burden, need to pick a fight every few years to justify their internal structures, foreign policy stance and arms production and proliferation. 

Isn't is ironic then that the very countries such as the U.S., U.K., France & Russia who will benefit from arms proliferation that increases conflict in the Middle East & in the case of Israel the subsequent depletion of it's Arab Neighbours Military capabilities, are the very same States who will ultimately assume the moral right when it comes to divvy up the spoils of War?  

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:23am
Superb post Madferret.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm
This lad is getting to be an expert at these interviews. Latest one from the BBC and if you have watched the others (CNN, ABC, RAI Italian) they all soon develop into a similar vein. He could put a tape recorder & cardboard cut-out wearing an Arsenal jersey in the chair at this stage and I doubt many of these dummies would know the difference. This is probably the worse interview so far where the reporter still hasn't realised the interviewee should do more talking than you.

Love or hate him, you have to say Assad is sharp as a tack, great sense of humour and love's the ladies. Be some craic down the pub watching Winning Streak.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 2:34pm
Just watched that. He did well. Jeremy Bowen is no fool either and I thought his interview style was alright.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 2:41pm
Yeah, but if you've seen all the other Assad interviews, you'd think Bowen would changed tack and tackle him a different way. Instead Assad got to re-hash his by now standard lines. 
I like Assad. I mean no doubt elements of his regime have been guilty of individual actions which could be classed as War crimes, but these almost pale into insignificance when you consider what ISIS, etc are up to. I think he is genuine & consistent in admitting that the Syrian Military have been responsible for isolated atrocities (which he claims have subsequently been punished) but that is not government policy.
I wonder would he run in the new Tipperary 5 seater and get rid of Lowry?? Assad for Taoiseach Clap

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 2:51pm
I dunno. I imagine he would do anything to cling to power. He's an intelligent guy and dictators are rarely let retire to a pile in the countryside. They tend to end their reigns either through natural or unnatural death. A dictator will die one of three ways: in power, of old age; in power, but in a bunker by his own hand; or having just been deposed and then swung from the nearest chandelier or else taken out back and shot.

The Russians, and I mean Gorbachev, and Pinochet (who died under house arrest) are the only ones I can think of who are an exception to this. It tends not to end nicely, no matter what.

I reckon Assad has done a lot more than he lets on in the interview. Chlorine in every house in the land? Please. Sure, you can make it with bleach and a few other chemicals, but the ability to make and deploy it on an industrial scale is a strength held by only one side of that conflict.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 2:53pm
Somebody interviewing Assad will have their questions vetted and approved. Any deviation to the plans and it is game over, hand over the tapes and leave without fuss.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 2:54pm
Well, there is obviously the "stepping aside" and letting a successor rule approach (see Chile) but I mean after a transition to another form of rule, be in democracy or something else. Dictators don't tend to survive revolution and will tend to do anything to protect their regime.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 3:03pm
Is Dictator a fair description tho I wonder Dave? I mean, I'm not trying to downplay some of the actions of of his or his father's government, but can we compare him to a Stalin, Hitler or Mary Harney?
That the upper echelons of Syrian military & political apparatus are dominated largely by Alawites there is no question but you are into arguements of representative democratic legitimacy imo, not questions of dictatorship.
No doubt there is a certain cult of personality around him too, but that is very much par for the course in that part of the World and almost expected, even by the local population. We do it here too, (Bertie, Charlie, etc) only it's a bit more subtle. 
He said something very interesting in another interview. He was questioned if the Syrian State, even with the limited reforms he has introduced, was truly democratic. His answer was he didn't claim it was and I think that's something people in the West find it hard to get their head around where our version of democracy is seen as the holy grail.  

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 3:05pm
Well, do you think those opposed to him in Syria see him as a dictator? His dad was in power for 30 years and he has been there for 15. Benevolent or not, I reckon that's a dictatorship.

No mistake, if the war ends with him losing power, he won't be living a trouble free life for long.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 3:13pm
Can't agree with you on this Dave. The length of time he is in Power does not necessarily make him a Dictator. I would argue the actions of a leader would qualify them as a dictator, not their length of time in office.
Yes, to us with the model of society we have become accustomed, it does seem strange that someone would assume power in such a way and hold it for so long. But plenty of leaders in World History have been "democratically" elected and held power coercively for relatively short periods of history and still been guilty of terrible atrocities.
I would focus more on how benign his actions as leader were rather than the length of time in office.

Edit; I should have given at least one example of what I was referring to above in bold. Nixon was "democratically" elected (if you consider a two party state with whoever spends the most buying the election as democratic) and look at his record ; Napalm bombing of Cambodia which killed tens of thousands of civilians in the most horrific manner, the Madman theory, training & supply of weapons and finance to right-wing paramilitary groups so as to destabilise & overthrow democratic governments whose politics Washington didn't approve of such as in Chile, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Colombia, the support of companies like Chiquita (now combined with Fyffes) which effectively ran slave plantations in Central America and bribed local Officials, State espionage against Newspapers & opposition activists domestically (Watergate), the supply of weapons to foment proxy wars in Africa, the backing of corrupt regimes such as the Saudi's, I could go on all day....

Nixon was only in power 5 years Dave, Assad 15 years. But I know who I think acted more akin to a "Dictator".   

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 3:46pm
I must say Dave and MF are very good at debating as i find it hard to know who i would go with .
Am i right in saying that the Americans were close to siding with the oppssition who ever they were at the time when Assad's forces used chemcals weapons ?
Was this Isi or some other group ?

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 3:50pm
Another hostage dead. The friendly fire from the Jordanian warplanes hitting Raqqa IS were claiming been confirmed true. Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 4:06pm
To the best of my knowledge Murph, Washington has backed the secular rebels, for want of another description, since the get-go, that is the Free Syrian Army who are largely Sunni. There is greater politics at play here, that is Assad is an ally to Iran and emotionally to the current government in Bagdad.  Of course Washington isn't too fond of Tehran so it's in their interests that a triple alliance of Syria/Iraq/Iran doesn't emerge in such a strategic location, especially given their own oil dependence. Such a scenario terrifies Washington because if the Kurds broke away (they won't because the US backs Turkey thru NATO to use as eyes and ears on the Russians), and you had effectively a Shia State in Iraq, then the potential for US influence would dwindle. Naturally Israel wouldn't be too happy with that either.
It's all murky jockeying for position. See over 100 years ago and the "Great powers" arbitrarily dividing up those lands into "protectorates" over a Gin & Tonic and game of chess. Some things never change.
The Americans and to a lesser extent the UK and France want enough instability in that region that it keeps everyone on their toes and they can play each off the other in addition to support their own massive domestic arms industries, but of course they don't want TOO much instability that strong Independent leaders emerge tht give them the long term two fingers. 

I have read a fair & seen a fair bit on how the US, UK, other Western govts aswell as Middle Eastern states, such as the Saudi's & Qatar have both armed and trained these groups. I'm referring to both the secular and Jihadi groups. Imo, the Western powers shouldn't be getting involved at all. I even seen a video with an ISIS "Brigade" training in a camp with RPG's using US Aid tents. Not saying they were supplied directly but it is rather curious. Jihadi interviewees themselves have said they received "Western" training in both Saudi & Qatar.
What we see is not what we see. The US have boots on the ground aswell as eyes in the sky, we just don't know the full extent of it yet.

Thanks for the compliment btw, I like debating with SuperDave and reading his posts. He is always respectful and honest in his arguements no matter the topic. I've a lot of time for him.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I dunno. I imagine he would do anything to cling to power. He's an intelligent guy and dictators are rarely let retire to a pile in the countryside. They tend to end their reigns either through natural or unnatural death. A dictator will die one of three ways: in power, of old age; in power, but in a bunker by his own hand; or having just been deposed and then swung from the nearest chandelier or else taken out back and shot.

4.: Exile in a benevolent country.

Examples include the Shah of Iran, Duvalier in Haiti, Marcos in the Philippines and Idi Amin in Uganda.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Can't agree with you on this Dave. The length of time he is in Power does not necessarily make him a Dictator. I would argue the actions of a leader would qualify them as a dictator, not their length of time in office.
Yes, to us with the model of society we have become accustomed, it does seem strange that someone would assume power in such a way and hold it for so long. But plenty of leaders in World History have been "democratically" elected and held power coercively for relatively short periods of history and still been guilty of terrible atrocities.
I would focus more on how benign his actions as leader were rather than the length of time in office.

Edit; I should have given at least one example of what I was referring to above in bold. Nixon was "democratically" elected (if you consider a two party state with whoever spends the most buying the election as democratic) and look at his record ; Napalm bombing of Cambodia which killed tens of thousands of civilians in the most horrific manner, the Madman theory, training & supply of weapons and finance to right-wing paramilitary groups so as to destabilise & overthrow democratic governments whose politics Washington didn't approve of such as in Chile, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Colombia, the support of companies like Chiquita (now combined with Fyffes) which effectively ran slave plantations in Central America and bribed local Officials, State espionage against Newspapers & opposition activists domestically (Watergate), the supply of weapons to foment proxy wars in Africa, the backing of corrupt regimes such as the Saudi's, I could go on all day....

Nixon was only in power 5 years Dave, Assad 15 years. But I know who I think acted more akin to a "Dictator".   

Nixon wasn't doing that to his own people (at least not the vast majority of it). He may qualify as a tyrant but he wasn't a dictator. Dictators generally don't relinquish power willingly. Nixon resigned and, if he hadn't been caught on Watergate, there is no suggestion he wasn't going to abide by the two term limit or somehow seek to circumvent it.

I see where you are coming from and it may be fair to say Assad is not a tyrant but it doesn't mean he isn't a dictator. He effectively rules by decree, as did his father before him. Power is concentrated in his hands and his hands alone and there is no sign of that changing because the system is set up in such a way as to perpetuate his rule. That makes him a dictator, not the moral qualities of his actions. Nixon didn't rule by decree and still had to deal with Congress and the Supreme Court (as do all US Presidents).

It's not length of time that matters, it's not even the actions. You can have benevolent dictators. It's whether the system is set up to protect the President from the People. In the US, it isn't (aside from the Secret Service). In Syria, it seems very much that it is.

Assad is a dictator. He might not be the worst of them, but he is a dictator. It's not even necessarily a bad thing that he is a dictator (if the people don't mind him, although that doesn't seem to be the case) and nobody said that democracy protects you from tyranny (as you point out, plenty of tyrants have been democratically elected) but the Assad regime is designed to protect Assad, not Syrians.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 4:18pm
One other thing: the tar sands oil in Canada along with shale gas are well on their way to making the US energy independent (well, North America). That could lead to a period of US foreign relations being more isolationist. It's unlikely at the minute (as a lot of mindsets need to change in the administration) but a new Republican president with a tea party mentality behind it (and potentially one that isn't keen on spending huge amounts of "taxpayers' money" on the military industrial complex) could see a retreat from the interventionist US approach. The Canadian economy is already showing signs of becoming a petrodollar economy and they aren't necessarily loving it.

It's just a theory but it is a possibility. The interesting thing is that the democrats have generally been quicker to oppose the military industrial complex than republicans (save where jobs in their own states are concerned, of course) but if fiscally conservative republicans get behind it, it'll be interesting.

From the Koch Brothers perspective, it is probably better than US consumers consume US and Canadian oil and gas, and they bankroll any number of tea party hacks through PACs. They would probably prefer the US out of the Middle East militarily, for any number of reasons. It impacts supply reliability (and encourages volatility of supply and increases their chances of making money), it reduces federal spending (and plays into their small government, libertarian ideology) and it increases investment in domestic energy security (which definitely helps their interests).

I wouldn't be surprised to see the US becoming more isolationist over the next few years, no matter who wins the next election.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 4:24pm
Great, informed debate there lads  Clap

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 4:25pm
Some great replies there Dave, informative as ever and unfortunately I'm almost out of time on my daily YBIG quota so to be continued... suffice to say whilst I'd disagree over some points I think we can agree Assad is using the military & political apparatus to save his own ass. But, with just 15% of the population and about 20% if you throw in the Christians, Druze & Ismaili's then I guess what option is he left with, except to piss off to Tahiti with a copy of Keano the biography. 

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

One other thing: the tar sands oil in Canada along with shale gas are well on their way to making the US energy independent (well, North America). That could lead to a period of US foreign relations being more isolationist. It's unlikely at the minute (as a lot of mindsets need to change in the administration) but a new Republican president with a tea party mentality behind it (and potentially one that isn't keen on spending huge amounts of "taxpayers' money" on the military industrial complex) could see a retreat from the interventionist US approach. The Canadian economy is already showing signs of becoming a petrodollar economy and they aren't necessarily loving it.

It's just a theory but it is a possibility. The interesting thing is that the democrats have generally been quicker to oppose the military industrial complex than republicans (save where jobs in their own states are concerned, of course) but if fiscally conservative republicans get behind it, it'll be interesting.

From the Koch Brothers perspective, it is probably better than US consumers consume US and Canadian oil and gas, and they bankroll any number of tea party hacks through PACs. They would probably prefer the US out of the Middle East militarily, for any number of reasons. It impacts supply reliability (and encourages volatility of supply and increases their chances of making money), it reduces federal spending (and plays into their small government, libertarian ideology) and it increases investment in domestic energy security (which definitely helps their interests).

I wouldn't be surprised to see the US becoming more isolationist over the next few years, no matter who wins the next election.

The Saudi's reduced the price of oil, so that it would be put fracking business's out of business. As there profit lines are based on a barrel at $115, where it's around 50 odd now. So I'm not sure the Yanks will be giving up their addiction to the filthy black lucre of the Middle East any time soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 6:15pm
Well, the Saudi increase in production has had the benefit of smacking down the Russians. The increase in production has harmed the Russians a hell of a lot more than US and Canadian production.

Oil sands has have attracted a lot of investment and while there are sunken capital costs, the actual production costs are not greater than the current price of oil, afaik, and there is little benefit to leaving the oil in the ground once the capital has been committed. There are a number of projects already on line in Alberta, and producing, with more to come. If Keystone XL gets built, US gulf refineries will have supply options both from the Canadians and the Saudis (not to mention domestic and Venezuala and wherever else).

The other thing is that the Saudis may only be playing as US lackies with their production at the minute, to screw Russia. The Saudis could scale back production on a whim, either at US request, or of their own volition, to protect the long term economic security of the country. The US wants greater energy security (who doesn't?) and the Canadians and Keystone XL gives them that at a price that isn't too much to pay.

Fracking is more about gas than oil, too, and it has seriously increased US domestic gas supply (and it is domestic, rather than Canadian like the oil), to such an extent that the US no longer need to import that much gas (though they still import a decent amount of oil). The combined petrochemical net import graph paints an interesting picture:

https://www.uschamber.com/sites/default/files/eia_net-imports-of-crude-oil-and-petroleum-products_800px.png" rel="nofollow - https://www.uschamber.com/sites/default/files/eia_net-imports-of-crude-oil-and-petroleum-products_800px.png

Net energy imports also paints the same picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/US_Net_Energy_Imports.png" rel="nofollow - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/US_Net_Energy_Imports.png

As they move towards energy neutrality (and remembering the difficulties they have and will continue to have in exporting energy products), an isolationist stance in respect of the middle east becomes increasingly likely. This doesn't take account of the impact of the Israeli lobbyist movement in the US (which is strong) nor the freeze in relations with Netanyahu (although who knows if he will survive the next elections) which is at this stage very hard to predict. The US obviously doesn't want a Syria - Iran - Iraq power block, which is a possibility, but the level at which they care may well decrease in line with their energy security position.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 1:12am
Good graphs. Serious turnaround in the last 20 years

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:00am
Jaysus....looking at those graphs one could be forgiven for thinking the 'War On Terror' was actually not about fictional weapons of mass destruction at all....the shock! Shocked

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Jaysus....looking at those graphs one could be forgiven for thinking the 'War On Terror' was actually not about fictional weapons of mass destruction at all....the shock! Shocked

WHAT?? don't Be silly with your conspiracy theories.

The war (i forget which actual one) is 100% about protecting our freedom and "preserving our way of life". Landon, tell him...

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:27pm
Found this by pure fluke looking for something else, ISIS is everywhere LOL  Not a bad short synopsis by yer man.

Posted By: jonny8619
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:19pm
Have a look at the Vice News videos about ISIS. Interesting documentaries.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:32pm
Found this interesting. An about turn from a former hawk. Kinda lays some context to the narrative and shows just how absurd the whole thing is.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/02/18/257024/once-a-top-booster-ex-us-envoy.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/02/18/257024/once-a-top-booster-ex-us-envoy.html

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:08pm

Found this interesting. An about turn from a former hawk. Kinda lays some context to the narrative and shows just how absurd the whole thing is.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/02/18/257024/once-a-top-booster-ex-us-envoy.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/02/18/257024/once-a-top-booster-ex-us-envoy.html
Very interesting. cheers for posting Thumbs Up

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm
Bitter lake is a great documentary recently shown on BBC. I've posted recently about it in another thread. A must watch: 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 2:06am
What do ye think of the 3 girls supposedly gone to Syria? I'll bet they'll be begging to go home by Easter. Did they not see how women are treated over there especially from foreign fighters. I'm amazed they got as far as they did without being stopped.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

What do ye think of the 3 girls supposedly gone to Syria? I'll bet they'll be begging to go home by Easter. Did they not see how women are treated over there especially from foreign fighters. I'm amazed they got as far as they did without being stopped.

The bigger question is how were they allowed on as you're not allowed on without an adult if you're under 18 when the 3 girls were 15 years old, 1 of them just turned 16.
The passports surely must of been checked in this day and age with terror alerts all over the place, there's clearly more to it.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but the smallest of airports never mind Heathrow where they travelled from literally scan you head to toe.

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 4:32am

[QUOTE=Guest]What do ye think of the 3 girls supposedly gone to Syria? I'll bet they'll be begging to go home by Easter. Did they not see how women are treated over there especially from foreign fighters. I'm amazed they got as far as they did without being stopped.

The thing about the "death cult" as David Cameron has started to refer to ISIS, is they prey on young people similar to a sexual predator. Every child is told never to talk to strangers and don't get into vans etc. But with modern technology young people are in more danger sitting in front of their laptop/mobile device than they are while walking down the street. If you take vulnerable young people, such as these 3 girls. They are very intelligent "A" students as the news reported. They appeared well to do (I'm judging this on the area of London they were from and the school they attended but stand to be corrected) But clearly they had something missing from their lives, more than likely a sense of belonging. They were part of immigrant families and were more than likely curious about their ancestry. If you take all this into account they become very easy prey for a predator. Getting these girls to leave the UK/west and go to Syria is a propaganda coup for ISIS. It also does exactly what a terrorist group wants to do by creating terror in the west as every country is aware ISIS`s network is worldwide.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:28am
Doesn't really explain how they were actually able to board a plane. You need to be 18 to be unsupervised they were 15 and 16.

If it was a domestic flight I can give some sort of leniency, I even sometimes get stopped at Dublin immigration control although Aer Lingus class Dublin as a domestic flight unlike BA etc. Istanbul as a young girl is a bit too suspicious.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 7:20am
There are no fixed laws in relation to the age at which a person may travel on an airplane without an accompanying adult.  Thousands of 16 year old and even younger teenagers go on post exam holidays every year including to Turkey and nobody bats an eyelid.  Here's the Aer Lingus statement in relation to it

Unaccompanied Minors
Aer Lingus does not accept reservations for unaccompanied children under 12 years of age for travel on Aer Lingus scheduled services.
Children under 12 years of age cannot travel unless accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or older, who will take responsibility for the child.
Aer Lingus will accept unaccompanied passengers aged 12-15 years inclusive but will not provide special assistance for these passengers. A Form of Indemnity must be completed by a parent/guardian with respect to such passengers at each airport of departure.
For Aer Lingus - JetBlue Airways connecting flights unaccompanied minors under the age of 14 will not be accepted for travel by either carrier for any part of the journey.
Unaccompanied minors under the age of 14 departing Italy will not be accepted for travel.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 11:38am
coyne their documents would only have been checked at the boarding gate at Gatwick. There's nothing unusual about three muslim girls flying to a muslim country. In fact i've never seen a teenager stopped and asked who is accompanying them and i've flown over 500 times.

Even if they had to be 18 to fly unsupervised, as i said above, there is only one time their documents are checked and that is at the boarding gate. That particular member of staff is only checking to see if the name on the passport matches that of the person on the passenger list.

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 12:05pm
Three f**king idiots. They'll be married off to somebody as soon as they arrive and will probably be dead within a year. I've absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Three f**king idiots. They'll be married off to somebody as soon as they arrive and will probably be dead within a year. I've absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever.

LOL

Are you busy these days with your victims of domestic violence helpline?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

LOL

Are you busy these days with your victims of domestic violence helpline?
Since these three are in Turkey, Syria, Iraq or wherever, any violence against them is a foreign matter rather than a domestic one.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

coyne their documents would only have been checked at the boarding gate at Gatwick. There's nothing unusual about three muslim girls flying to a muslim country. In fact i've never seen a teenager stopped and asked who is accompanying them and i've flown over 500 times.

Even if they had to be 18 to fly unsupervised, as i said above, there is only one time their documents are checked and that is at the boarding gate. That particular member of staff is only checking to see if the name on the passport matches that of the person on the passenger list.

Fair enough. I just thought being stopped at a domestic flight it would be perfectly logical to do the same on an International flight.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 5:42pm
I watched a report on Sky News about it and they were shocked at how they were able to board the flight at such a young age. Has Heathrow got any age restrictions unless accompanied by an adult?

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

I watched a report on Sky News about it and they were shocked at how they were able to board the flight at such a young age. Has Heathrow got any age restrictions unless accompanied by an adult?

Enough said.

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:10pm
Anyone see the video clipof the middle aged woman being executed for wearing a red top? Was on facebook for a brief time before being taken down.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 9:15am
Seen  this Arab run Internet cafe at Salzburg train station LOL

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Seen  this Arab run Internet cafe at Salzburg train station LOL

LOL

There's a boozer in Sunderland City Center called ISIS also, poor bastards losing business for something they haven't done. LOL

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:46pm

Great spot lilly

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:08pm
Wasn't there a dog called ISIS in Downton Abbey?
And a cat called Taliban?

And a woman in America called Isis Martinez got very annoyed

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:15pm
Ddon't forget Ann Summers' ISIS range of lingerie - guaranteed female genital mutilation or your money back.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/isis-underwear-range-launched-by-ann-summers-9686103.html

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net