Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50932
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 8:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ireland Vs. Yugoslavia October 1955
Posted By: Diarmuid1
Subject: Ireland Vs. Yugoslavia October 1955
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 11:56am
Hi. Firstly, I am aware that there have been a few posts like this up here recently so I apologise for continuing that particular trend. 
I am currently undertaking a dissertation about a soccer match between the Republic of Ireland and Yugoslavia, which took place in 1955. For those not familiar with this game, Yugoslavia at the time was a communist country led by Marshall Tito and the Archbishop of Dublin, John Charles McQuaid was venomously opposed to the game taking place; a view which involved him convincing the government to pull out of attending and attempt to ban the match from happening. It did not and 21,400 people went along. (We lost 4-1!) 
Basically, I'm looking to talk/write to anyone who may have been there or would have stories or memories about the match or even that time. I'm aware that the rough age I would need for this is about 75 or so, so most people on this won't have been alive around then. BUT if you know of anyone who may be able to help and could either reply here or drop me a private message then I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance! Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:49pm
Watch green is the colour dvd episode 2 I think. It covers this game in a fair amount of detail.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 11:31pm

well before my time but feel free to use this if any use.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 8:10am
I'll ask me Da was he at it

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: AlanH
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 9:44am
Eamon Dunphy discussed this fixture in some detail in his book, 'The Rocky Road'. To be fair to Dunphy, he provided an interesting commentary on the socio-political factors surrounding the game.

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 10:09am
A few of the older lads on here might remember it.

Posted By: Declanus
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 10:10am
I know my Da was at it. I'll ask him about it. Interesting on the ticket above the give the price as 20 schillings as opposed to a pound. (€1.27 in todays currency).

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 10:40am
AidoM was at that match , but I think he had to leave just after half time as he was working night shifts that week.

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

AidoM was at that match , but I think he had to leave just after half time as he was working night shifts that week.
LOL

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 4:56pm
My Dad was at this match. I remember him telling me that he bunked off Gaelic football training to go. He said he wasn't going to miss the chance to see one of the best teams in the world. His school threatened him with suspension for missing the training and he had to bring his Mam in to convince them to let him off.

Unfortunately he won't be able to tell you any of this because he passed away 6 years ago.

Posted By: Diarmuid1
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 2:46pm
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your responses so far. I'll send out a few private messages shortly to some people about points they have brought up! if anyone else can help still then that would be amazing. 

Posted By: ontheball
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:42pm
It was yesterday, exactly 60 years ago that this game took place which was probably the first time that 22000 Irish people defied the might of the Church. The infamous Archbishop McQuaid did everything to stop the match going ahead and then forbade His flock to attend.

The President Sean T O'Kelly backed out of attending the match after McQuaid put pressure on the Taoiseach. Like a scene from Fr Ted, the Army Band withdrew and then RTE cancelled its commentary after its commentator Philip Greene refused to commentate on religious grounds.

President of the FAI at the time was 1916 Veteran Oscar Traynor who ensured the match would go ahead, a man with balls as was the FAI Board of Management who voted 7 to 1 for the game to proceed. Also in attendance as an act of defiance was the legendary republican Dan Breen.

Posted By: macdog
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:49am
Hi Diarmuid1,  Hope you are well. I am making a programme about this whole saga for Irish Language Programmes in RTE and was wondering if I could have a chat to see how you got on and if you might be intersested in participating in the programme. My email is macdog@rte.ie.
Tnanks
Garry

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net