Are we the team nobody cares about?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50530
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Are we the team nobody cares about?
Posted By: ABFC
Subject: Are we the team nobody cares about?
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:49pm
The rugby lads beat Australia in a friendly and twitter is about to explode from people going on about it. I can't help but feel the football team are like the red headed step child in this country.

Replies:
Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:52pm
Ya. Im shocked twitter isnt still flooded with tweets about our heroic win against the might of the USMNT on Tuesday

Great thread

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Ya. Im shocked twitter isnt still flooded with tweets about our heroic win against the might of the USMNT on Tuesday

Great thread

When we drew to the World Champions last month there was nowhere near the same reaction

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Great thread

When we drew to the World Champions last month there was nowhere near the same reaction

That is probably down to who you follow on twitterConfused

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:56pm

Great thread

Irish personalities in general fawning over a friendly win over Australia. Last minute goal against the world champs and nothing.

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:56pm

Great thread

Exactly. Ny twitter was nuts. Then again I predominantly follow people interested in or involved in, Irish football. If you follow Ryle Nugent then you deserve everything you get. 

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 9:31pm
Ah think that's a bit unfair. The football is different the rugby is 'All of Ireland' you've another near 2 million cheering them on let's not forget. I Think a lot of the rugby hype is bandwagoning to be honest, I know many people who don't know what a prop is or hooker don't support a club yet go mad for Ireland games.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 9:38pm
Plus the bitches prefer rugby than football for some reason.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

It's more animalistic I guess. The whole chomping at the ear kind of thing.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

They're well spoken too. It's a snobbery thing. Would a moth rather Rob Kearney or James McClean?

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:05pm

It is, essentially, their equivalent of beach volleyball.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:06pm

They're well spoken too. It's a snobbery thing. Would a moth rather Rob Kearney or James McClean?

For the looks it would be Kearney but for the dosh it would be McLean. Mclean wins.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: moatehoop
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:08pm
Nonsense compare the country when ireland play in a world cup or european championship to when the egg chasers play in their so called world cup. Put it this way if the football lads were playing would pubs have another sport on as well like today with arsenal and united.

Posted By: Locke
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:10pm
Soccer can't compete with rugby in this country (or GAA) and rightly so to be fair.
Rugby lads put the soccer lads to shame IMO.

-------------
Ivan Locke: "I'm not going to turn back. I have made my decision."

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:12pm

Well i just I asked my missus and although she prefers the rugby players, she much prefers football as a sport.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:13pm
The buzz would come back if we qualified for France. There's definitely a lot of interest in MON and Keane.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Locke Locke wrote:

Soccer can't compete with rugby in this country (or GAA) and rightly so to be fair.
Rugby lads put the soccer lads to shame IMO.

Why do they put them to shame?

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:14pm
I'm really glad this topic came up. It's rarely spoken of and always throws up interesting views and opinions. *

*May or may not be utter horsesh*t 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:19pm
Rugby

f**kin stupid game.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:23pm
The egg chasers put the football lads to shame LOL!!!! the egg chasers play in a small minority sport that in world terms is irrelevant. They win a friendly against a load of aussie tourists on the beer and now they are world beaters. This is a team that lets not forget has never got beyond a world cup quarter final. The football lads compete in a true world sport not some mickey mouse game that 99% of the world know nothing about.

Posted By: garretjoseph
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:27pm
I support both Football & Rugby. Doesn't bother me which one gets more twitter hits or likes on Facebook or any of that stupid stuff. Both great sports and I don't care what sport it is but if they have the Green Jersey on I'm going to follow and cheer. I'm heading to Dallas next month for the 2nd ever Roller Derby World Cup and will cheer the girls in green on. 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by moatehoop moatehoop wrote:

The egg chasers put the football lads to shame LOL!!!! the egg chasers play in a small minority sport that in world terms is irrelevant. They win a friendly against a load of aussie tourists on the beer and now they are world beaters. This is a team that lets not forget has never got beyond a world cup quarter final. The football lads compete in a true world sport not some mickey mouse game that 99% of the world know nothing about.

A bit harsh. The game against Australia would be nearer to what we would call a competitive match in football, especially as northern and southern hemisphere sides can only meet in Cup competition every four years.....both teams were at absolute full strength today and went hell for leather at each other. It's true that our record in the RWC is poor, but if anyone is going to take an Irish team into a semi final, it's going to be Schmidt.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by garretjoseph garretjoseph wrote:

I support both Football & Rugby. Doesn't bother me which one gets more twitter hits or likes on Facebook or any of that stupid stuff. Both great sports and I don't care what sport it is but if they have the Green Jersey on I'm going to follow and cheer. I'm heading to Dallas next month for the 2nd ever Roller Derby World Cup and will cheer the girls in green on. 

It's mad popular with the lesbians in Scotland. Is it the same in Ireland?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:46pm
No offense but could not give a toss about the egg chasers or their game.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:52pm

No offense but could not give a toss about the egg chasers or their game.

Hear Hear Clap Say no to egg chasing!

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

A bit harsh. The game against Australia would be nearer to what we would call a competitive match in football, especially as northern and southern hemisphere sides can only meet in Cup competition every four years.....both teams were at absolute full strength today and went hell for leather at each other. It's true that our record in the RWC is poor, but if anyone is going to take an Irish team into a semi final, it's going to be Schmidt.

Its a friendly and it should be treated as one and cant be compared to a competitive game.

We have played Australia 18 times in the last 20 years.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:19pm
Test Match=Friendly Match with a name to suggest it has some importance and Guinness market these friendlies as vital.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:25pm
Some amount of jealousy on here lads.

And most of ya probably love de Gah which is played by two countries in the World and we're second best.

Ironic.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:27pm
The fact that they've never got past the last 8 in a world cup that has about 10-11 teams that actually properly play rugby says it all really.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Its a friendly and it should be treated as one and cant be compared to a competitive game.

Not exactly. The autumn internationals are usually played at a similar level of competiveness to any 6 Nations match. We haven't done a clean sweep of the autumn internationals since 2006 which tells us the southern hemisphere teams come here meaning business, not just for a friendly stroll in the park and an 80 minute work out. The games against New Zealand last year and Australia today were played with ferocious intensity....you couldn't possibly compare them to a typical ROI friendly at the Aviva.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:41pm
Ireland reaching a major championship eclipses anything else that happens in sport here. Just enjoy when our teams do well. It's annoying when there are constant comparisons but thats the way it goes.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:42pm
At the end of the day, what matters is what Ireland do competitively. Today meant f**k all. Getting knocked out of the last 8 of a competition where only 8 teams actually compete is mediocre at best. Lets see if they can better that

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Ireland reaching a major championship eclipses anything else that happens in sport here. Just enjoy when our teams do well. It's annoying when there are constant comparisons but thats the way it goes.

I'd agree with this despite the poor results of Euro 2012 the attention and media and atmosphere around the country far surpasses any other sporting tournament, and you're right it's impossible to compare just like comparing Robbie Keane to Brian O'driscoll etc.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: isengard
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:48pm
ah lads, lets not go down the same road as our current govt and spend all our time knockin the other crowd...and blaming them for all our woes...i like all sports, and support all teams in green, as someone once said there is probably a bit of snobbery attached to the oval ball...but c'est la vie...lets concentrate on supporting our team.... ybig....

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:02am
Anyone who gives a f**k what's on Twitter is a halfwit.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:03am

Not exactly. The autumn internationals are usually played at a similar level of competiveness to any 6 Nations match. We haven't done a clean sweep of the autumn internationals since 2006 which tells us the southern hemisphere teams come here meaning business, not just for a friendly stroll in the park and an 80 minute work out. The games against New Zealand last year and Australia today were played with ferocious intensity....you couldn't possibly compare them to a typical ROI friendly at the Aviva.

Doesn't matter how you dress it up its still not a competitive game.There is nothing at stake .Ireland need to be proving themselves in the 6nation and the WC.
I'm not having a go at Rugby I always want Ireland to do well in any sports they take part in but people are going way over board about this result.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

And most of ya probably love de Gah which is played by two countries in the World and we're second best.

Ironic.

That sh*te that was on this morning isn't Gaelic Football and its about time it was abolished.I doubt anyone would miss it bar the lads getting a few weeks holidays.Terrible concept.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:00am

Ironic.

That sh*te that was on this morning isn't Gaelic Football and its about time it was abolished.I doubt anyone would miss it bar the lads getting a few weeks holidays.Terrible concept.

ClapClap We watched Aussie Rules mixed with Gaelic and bit of Rugby, its awful to watch. Always has been, the fights are the usually the best bit,

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:22am

Doesn't matter how you dress it up its still not a competitive game.There is nothing at stake .Ireland need to be proving themselves in the 6nation and the WC.
I'm not having a go at Rugby I always want Ireland to do well in any sports they take part in but people are going way over board about this result.

Yes but you only have to see how the players celebrated at the end of the match today to see what it meant to them. These type of test matches against the rugby heavyweights like NZ, Australia and SA can't really be compared to a bog standard ROI friendly against the likes of Serbia or Chile at the Aviva.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:36am
Genuine great victory for the egg lads today, fair play to them, but the plaudits are coming a year early.  Ultimately, it was primarily a great victory for a team self belief point of view rather than anything that actually matters being achieved, but to be fair to them, the players will probably recognise that too & not rest on their laurels, whatever about the ever excitable egg chasing media bandwagon. 

I would be as sceptical as anyone out there as regard the merits of these autumn friendlies, but I think this time it could actually be different, Ireland do appear to have the best coach in world egg chasing at their disposal, and he could make all the difference when it comes to getting past the QF's of the RWC. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 5:16am
Ireland-Scotland and Ireland-Australia would have had similar tv reasons as each other. Both teams are very relevant but the Irish rugby team are the most loved sports team on the land.

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

the Irish rugby team are the most loved sports team on the land.

No they're not. Manchester United are!

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:35am

Both teams are very relevant but the Irish rugby team are the most loved sports team on the land.

Rugby lads turn up for matches.
They dont feign injury.
They're grannies dont die on a regular basis.
They dont do Starsky and Hutch on Harcourt Street.
They dont beat up Elvis impersonators.
They're intelligent and articulate, even the Munster lads.
They dont have a prick for a CEO.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:47am

Yes but you only have to see how the players celebrated at the end of the match today to see what it meant to them. These type of test matches against the rugby heavyweights like NZ, Australia and SA can't really be compared to a bog standard ROI friendly against the likes of Serbia or Chile at the Aviva.

What about a friendly v England? Or Brazil or Argentina? Australia are a world heavyweight team in rugby, you can't compare it to Serbia or Chile in soccer, it's still a friendly though. And a friendly in a niche sport in world terms where there's only about 8 decent teams.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:48am

Both teams are very relevant but the Irish rugby team are the most loved sports team on the land.

They dont feign injury.

even the munster lads if ya dont have admiration for the way the lads put there bodies on the line yesterday yas havent got a baldy, look at the state of murray and sexton when they where hauled off against there will then look at james mc carthy against scotland. the people care about the team because the players do you could argue some of the footballers dont

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

They dont feign injury.

even the munster lads if ya dont have admiration for the way the lads put there bodies on the line yesterday yas havent got a baldy, look at the state of murray and sexton when they where hauled off against there will then look at james mc carthy against scotland. the people care about the team because the players do you could argue some of the footballers dont

Am I wrong in saying that the rugby lads' main source of income is the IRFU?? Complete opposite to the FAI. Not comparing like with like.

Anyway, this is another cringey thread on this topic.

People like rugby, people don't like rugby. Who cares

Posted By: starryplough
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:19am
Strange thread. Nobody really cares about rugby in this country, playing numbers are well below football as well. Rugby is just bandwagoning and catches the public's attention through a few well commericialised "events" throughout the year. The recent growth of rugby was jumped on by people who previously had little or no interest in sport and used it as a commerical activity basically. The players are largely made up of lads who can't play a decent sport. About 7 countries in the world play it but thankfully we are still sh*t at it no matter what the Indo or Ryle Nugent tell us. Fcuk Rugby

-------------
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others

Posted By: Mullingar
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:20am
That's not an Irish teams Irish teams play the Anthem home and away

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:36am
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Strange thread. Nobody really cares about rugby in this country, playing numbers are well below football as well. Rugby is just bandwagoning and catches the public's attention through a few well commericialised "events" throughout the year. The recent growth of rugby was jumped on by people who previously had little or no interest in sport and used it as a commerical activity basically. The players are largely made up of lads who can't play a decent sport. About 7 countries in the world play it but thankfully we are still sh*t at it no matter what the Indo or Ryle Nugent tell us. Fcuk Rugby

3rd in the world rankings and just beaten SA and The Ozzies, Joe Schmidt probably the best manager around too.

But yeah you're right

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:40am

Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

[QUOTE=Landon Donovan]Both teams are very relevant but the Irish rugby team are the most loved sports team on the land.
mit
They dont feign injury.

Am I wrong in saying that the rugby lads' main source of income is the IRFU?? Complete opposite to the FAI. Not comparing like with like.

Anyway, this is another cringey thread on this topic.
People like rugby, people don't like rugby. Who cares[/QUO
TE] No thats fair enough its not a like for like comparsion considering the irfus central contracts, I was just using james mc carthy as the most recent example. the reason rugby garners so much support is the obvious physical commitment the players make, everyone understands this and admires it, laying down your body for your country, blood sacirfices etc etc. compare with the cry offs and supposed injuries from footballers, exceptionally rich ones, its a massive detractor to game

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:48am

Absolute horsesh*t...rugby in munster anyway has far greater numbers to the soccer. And my son goes to both.
No comparison between facilities and coaching rugby wins out Everytime.
I'm into both sports but facts are facts.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:54am

Absolute horsesh*t...rugby in munster anyway has far greater numbers to the soccer. And my son goes to both.

You have a son

Poor f**ker.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

3rd in the world rankings and just beaten SA and The Ozzies, Joe Schmidt probably the best manager around too.

But yeah you're right

So beat 2 of the other 6 teams that play it at any sort of high level? Well done, it will be the usual collapse whenever their WC comes around. Probably even crap themselves in the annual six nations friendlies actually before that Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:03am

I'd like to see figures for that statement, it goes against the rest of the country thats for sure. Aren't Munster Rugby losing loads of money year on year?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:04am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You have a son

Poor f**ker.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:06am

I'd like to see figures for that statement, it goes against the rest of the country thats for sure. Aren't Munster Rugby losing loads of money year on year?

Rugby set up is fantastic in Cork, go to any training sessions of a Saturday huge numbers of kids signed up.
Brilliant coaching IMO to in comparison to the soccer which is a bit hit and miss.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:11am

Rugby set up is fantastic in Cork, go to any training sessions of a Saturday huge numbers of kids signed up.
Brilliant coaching IMO to in comparison to the soccer which is a bit hit and miss.

Anything to back up these "far greater numbers"?

What do you need to coach in rugby? Run and grab each others arses. Very little to no skill involved apart from about 3 players on each team. Football coaching involves training an actual skill, hence why it mightn't be as easy to coach

-------------

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:29am
Football v Rugby on here that is a first. 

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:35am
Who cares what a load of overweight gym freak male mud wrestlers done yesterday. If the game is so popular why would pubs have to show united arsenal at the same time. Do you thing an egg chaser game from england would get an audience if the football lads where playing?. Its a nothing sport played by eight nations and the irfu team means little if anything to most outside of d4 and limerick.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 11:39am

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:52pm

Where in Munster are these rugby players?  The ESRI study albeit from a few years back would have football as by far the biggest participant sport in the country. 

Limerick is generally considered to be a hotbed of rugby in this country yet playing numbers are dwarfed by those of football.  There are 8 divisions of Junior football not to mind all the underage leagues. 

http://www.limerickjuniorsoccer.com/league-tables" rel="nofollow - http://www.limerickjuniorsoccer.com/league-tables

How many adult rugby teams play in Limerick every week?

Now of course rugby is a far bigger spectator sport in this country as indeed is GAA.     

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:52pm
Are you applauding you own post moatehoop? LOL

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Where in Munster are these rugby players?  The ESRI study albeit from a few years back would have football as by far the biggest participant sport in the country. 

Limerick is generally considered to be a hotbed of rugby in this country yet playing numbers are dwarfed by those of football.  There are 8 divisions of Junior football not to mind all the underage leagues. 

http://www.limerickjuniorsoccer.com/league-tables" rel="nofollow - http://www.limerickjuniorsoccer.com/league-tables

How many adult rugby teams play in Limerick every week?

Now of course rugby is a far bigger spectator sport in this country as indeed is GAA.     

Yeah Junior football in Limerick is huge from what I can see. I know Im always hoping our club at home avoids meeting a Limerick team in the early rounds of the Junior Cup

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Are you applauding you own post moatehoop? LOL
nope was meant for starryplough

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:22pm
A rugby game and an All Ireland final are the biggest bandwagon games. The All Ireland is unreal amount of people who are in Croke Park for the first time or haven't been all year is crazy. 

And what is about GAA people that they dislike football so much where as they would watch rugby no problem?

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:27pm
[QUOTE=Locke]Soccer can't compete with rugby in this country (or GAA) and rightly so to be fair.
Rugby lads put the soccer lads to shame IMO.[/QUOTE]And you sir put village idiots to shame

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

What about a friendly v England? Or Brazil or Argentina? Australia are a world heavyweight team in rugby, you can't compare it to Serbia or Chile in soccer, it's still a friendly though. And a friendly in a niche sport in world terms where there's only about 8 decent teams.

Well yes, but the autumn internationals would be the equivalent of us playing a full strength Brazil, Argentina and England every November in front of 50,000 at the Aviva. Would people say those matches were "only a friendly" and of no consequence whether we won or lost?

Posted By: BlackKat
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:34pm
Well there was a  big reaction to O'Shea's goal, I really don't see that much of a difference it's just that the Ireland ruby team is better at rugby than the Irish football team is at football so it's natural that people would be more optimistic about them as they have a chance at winning the world cup

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:35pm
'Three Autumn Soccer International Test Series'

Ireland vs Brazil
Ireland vs Netherlands
Ireland vs France

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:38pm
Congratulations on a great performance yesterday by the Irish rugby team and fcuk the begrudgers. 

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:40pm

You have a son

Poor f**ker.

LOL brightened up a bad morning for me

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I'm really glad this topic came up. It's rarely spoken of and always throws up interesting views and opinions. *

*May or may not be utter horsesh*t 

harsh but true AM

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:40pm
We are the FANS nobody cares about

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Congratulations on a great performance yesterday by the Irish rugby team and fcuk the begrudgers. 

It's amazing the amount of ejits we have on here bad mouthing rugby.
The irony is lost on them, especially since our soccer team tried to beat Scotland attempting to play in a rugby vain.
Badly at that may i add.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:43pm

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:46pm
As much as soccer supporters wish the the rugby lads well I always get the impression the rugby fans couldn't give two sh*ts about the football team.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:51pm
The reason the bog ballers and egg chasers like each other is because they cannot stand that football is not only the no1 sport in this country but is in the world. There sports will never come close to the levels of football and it really really gets to them. On a personal level i hate both gaa and egg chasing.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:57pm

As much as soccer supporters wish the the rugby lads well I always get the impression the rugby fans couldn't give two sh*ts about the football team.
in fairness the egg chasers are only irish team i always want to lose. Its a mixture of hate for their awful fans and the sick media love in for their team.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:57pm

The reason the bog ballers and egg chasers like each other is because they cannot stand that football is not only the no1 sport in this country but is in the world. There sports will never come close to the levels of football and it really really gets to them. On a personal level i hate both gaa and egg chasing.

Go way. Shocked

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:02pm
Rugby, big posh brutes who get their rocks off smelling the holes off each other in an on field huddle and have the fckin ball kicked out of shape

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:07pm

Of course they don't give a sh*t about the football team why would they we are muck... It's very difficult supporting the soccer
last good result we has was in 2002 against the Dutch.
Why would neutrals be interested in a team that never really achieves anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Rugby, big posh brutes who get their rocks off smelling the holes off each other in an on field huddle and have the fckin ball kicked out of shape

Football players largely uneducated guys that roll around the ground crying when no contact us even made.
When was the last rugby players charged with rape or sleep with team mates missus.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:14pm

Football players largely uneducated guys that roll around the ground crying when no contact us even made.
When was the last rugby players charged with rape or sleep with team mates missus.

How did you come to the conclustion that footballers are uneducated?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-leagues-dirtiest-acts/story-fni3fbgz-1226696188482?nk=af44d66b6bfb985ce144ca1d117d1d4d" rel="nofollow - Rugby player shoves his finger up his opponents hole.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:17pm
I'd say horse your found of a bit of rugby yourself.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Well yes, but the autumn internationals would be the equivalent of us playing a full strength Brazil, Argentina and England every November in front of 50,000 at the Aviva. Would people say those matches were "only a friendly" and of no consequence whether we won or lost?

That is exactly want I would say.I obviously want Ireland to win every game they play but I wouldn't for a minute talk up a friendly for more than it is, no matter who its against.
I suppose these games in Rugby mean more because there is so little competitive teams around.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:23pm
Years ago we used to play the big nations in friendlies all the time. Since Lansdowne was redeveloped we have only played Argentina and the rest have been nations that wouldn't catch the publics imagination.
Surely it would be in the FAI's interest to lure, Brazil, Spain, Holland, France, Argentina, Portugal, Italy etc to Dublin.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:24pm

How many football players have been charged with rape?
Plenty of rugby players have affairs just that its a much lower profile sport it won't get the coverage a football player would.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:26pm

Of course they don't give a sh*t about the football team why would they we are muck... It's very difficult supporting the soccer

Every single post you write is either incorrect or you spouting lies or negative rubbish.

The result against the USA was a good result and so too was the 1-1 draw against Germany.

Can you actually back up anything you say?
Have you anything factual about footballers being uneducated?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:30pm

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:35pm

Every single post you write is either incorrect or you spouting lies or negative rubbish.

The result against the USA was a good result and so too was the 1-1 draw against Germany.

Sure how could he Horse he is pulling all his fact's from the exact same spot that rugby gimp stuck his finger

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:37pm
The greatest sporting event ever to happen in the history of this country was the 1990 World Cup. It was a pure spontaneous occurrence, a coming together as a nation to celebrate and support our football team. The GAA and IRFU will never ever be able to come close to that. And by the way, how is irish rugby legends Messrs Tweed and Falvey these days.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:39pm

Wrong year idiot.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:41pm

The result against a weak usa team was a good result ...is this what it has come to.
Germany away I was thrilled with and was a good result but we were outplayed, out tought and got lucky.

Uneducated might be unfair but look at all the EPLs top players over the years Terry,Rooney, Robbie and Roy the list goes on. You can be damn sure they have no education. fair play however they are very rich.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Wrong year idiot.
LOL you could not even dream of inventing a goon like this unbelievable jeff LOL

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:11pm

So they are just bandwagoners as already stated that will only follow us if we do well? They aren't sports fans so. "Last good results we had was in 2002" LOL. I apologise for them being born Irish and we can't guarantee them a World Cup every four years. If Rugby is so liked then how come during the last RWC I could get away with not following any of it, the people don't actually care about it. Compare that to the hype with the Euro's, different world altogether 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:21pm

Can you imagine the furore if two footballers had been linked to the incident in the Shelbourne last year, we'd still be hearing about it, instead it was quickly brushed under the carpet and they couldn't be named we were told Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:31pm
Everyone knows who the 2 rugby players that were involved in this, what's your point exactly starry?

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:37pm
Ross ocarroll kelly a perfect symbol of a typical irfu fan. A game invented by a cheat for fat overweight freaks who are incapable of playing a proper sport.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Everyone knows who the 2 rugby players that were involved in this, what's your point exactly starry?

And we all remember the media refusing to go to town on it so? If two Irish footballers done the same we would still be hearing about it everytime they were in public. Instead these pair couldn't be named for legal reasons and it blew away, the poor young one got all the flak. Different reporting/scrutiny when its the rugby lads

-------------

Posted By: HgRx
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:39pm
Unreal the amount of bitterness, jealousy and insecurity in this topic. Referring to other folks' sports as "bog ball" and "egg chasing" - worry about your own patch, rather than trying to snipe at others.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net