Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50326
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 1:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The team linking arms for our anthem
Posted By: ABFC
Subject: The team linking arms for our anthem
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:15pm
It might be a small thing i've noticed the team no longer turn around and face the flag during the anthem. Anyone think they should now link arms for the anthem? It would display a bit of passion that non football people seem to think our team is lacking.

Replies:
Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:39pm
No linking of the arms for me. As it is people don't know how to stand properly to sing it, supposed to stand to attention but people aren't aware of that.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

No linking of the arms for me. As it is people don't know how to stand properly to sing it, supposed to stand to attention but people aren't aware of that.

+1 Stand Up, Hands Behind the Back and Bellow itThumbs Up

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:53pm
Linking arms shows passion
Stand up, hands behind the back and sing it loud and proud.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:22am
Since when have they stopped facing the tricolour?

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:28am
If we're being pedantic, I always thought the proper way to salute the anthem is facing the flag with hands by the side

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:42am
I think they should have one arm by their side with the other clenching the crest while roaring out the anthem and a flood of tears streaming down their cheeks. I also think that any new players not from this soil should come over earlier than the rest of the team and locked in a room with a few of us until they can actually sing it.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:50am
I think they should hold hands and caress each other gently. Rodgering each other during the opposition's anthem is optional

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: GreenArmy!
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 1:44am
Stand up straight with hands behind the back and sing it loud and clear.
Wouldn't be a fan of linking arms but they should all be singing it at least.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 2:36am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Since when have they stopped facing the tricolour?

Didn't notice they'd stopped either

Posted By: Cookie Monster
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 4:59am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

It might be a small thing i've noticed the team no longer turn around and face the flag during the anthem. Anyone think they should now link arms for the anthem? It would display a bit of passion that non football people seem to think our team is lacking.

I'd settle for all the players actually knowing the words! It's a disgrace to see most of them mouthing "nothing" that makes sense, even our captain Robbie Keane. It's hard to understand how guys that play for their country can't be bothered to learn the National Anthem

-------------
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I

Posted By: GreenArmy!
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster wrote:

I'd settle for all the players actually knowing the words! It's a disgrace to see most of them mouthing "nothing" that makes sense, even our captain Robbie Keane. It's hard to understand how guys that play for their country can't be bothered to learn the National Anthem

Keane sings the anthem, sure you can always hear him when the camera goes by him, loud and proud.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If we're being pedantic, I always thought the proper way to salute the anthem is facing the flag with hands by the side
Correct, not behind your back or one hand over your chest. Stand straight, head up, arms by the side and belt out that bad boy is the official protocol for Amhran na bhfiann 

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 7:45am

not as much of a disgrace as the property tax or the water charges we have to pay. Lots of our fans cant sing it either. More of a pity than a disgrace

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 8:28am
Sing the anthem properly and sing the field s of athenry properly.   

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 8:33am

Explain?

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 8:37am
Not sure what the linking of the arms adds to the situation TBH.

Anything that is choreographed should not have part in football. Whether it is the walkout of the teams, the anthems or the goalscoring celebrations. Football should be spontaneous. That's emotion.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 8:54am
They haven't stopped facing the tricolour?

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:08am
Linking arms not for me. And they face the tri colour don't they?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:13am
By linking arms do ya mean over the shoulders? Like the rugby team?

This was the way to do it...

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Classic duffer facing the wrong way!!

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:40am
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

For all of this years qualifiers they just faced the camera

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 10:23am

In Georgia and Germany flags were in main stand behind camera

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Correct Mark, hands behind the back is incorrect.  Standing to attention is the official way (and for me the most respectful) and that is how I was taught and is how I always sing it.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:55am
It annoys me when people don't remove their hats either Angry

I'd rather if the team actually learned the words, never mind this linking arms malark

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
They should have their arms behind their back and sing like Liam Gallagher pretending their a microphone ij front of them and thrn when the anthem is finished do that little soccer am Manchester dance.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 1:53pm
If they learned the words and sang it twud be a start. Unpatriotic coonts

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Good man duffer, facing the singing section in stead of the flag

Posted By: Danny Invincible
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:41am

Because the tricolour has been on the pitch right in front of them. The team have always faced the tricolour and still do, in accordance with customary protocol.

Mind you, all in attendance are also officially advised to salute the flag until the final note of the anthem: http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/The%20National%20Flag.pdf

Defacement of the flag with slogans or lettering is also officially frowned upon. 

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

not as much of a disgrace as the property tax or the water charges we have to pay. Lots of our fans cant sing it either. More of a pity than a disgrace

Eh..what has the water charges and property tax got to do with singing or not singing our national anthem? Confused

I disagree, it IS a disgrace if players representing their country do not know the words of the anthem. It should be a no brainer to know it. As for Robbie keane, someone mentioned earlier he sings it loud and proud, well I have to disagree there too because his lip sync is usually way off when you see him "singing" it, as it is when most people open their mouths pretending to sing but haven't a clue of the words. 

-------------

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:45pm
so you want him to start blaring it out and beating his chest like a nut!

jaysus wept,this place gets worse by the day

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

so you want him to start blaring it out and beating his chest like a nut!

jaysus wept,this place gets worse by the day

Don't think I said that anywhere but feel free to have an unprovoked ridiculous rant stating things that were never said if it makes you feel better. Jesus wept is right. Is it your time of the month or wha

-------------

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:55pm

Eh..what has the water charges and property tax got to do with singing or not singing our national anthem? Confused

I disagree, it IS a disgrace if players representing their country do not know the words of the anthem. It should be a no brainer to know it. As for Robbie keane, someone mentioned earlier he sings it loud and proud, well I have to disagree there too because his lip sync is usually way off when you see him "singing" it, as it is when most people open their mouths pretending to sing but haven't a clue of the words. 

LOL
For f**k sake ya can hear him singing it when the mic goes past him.
Just seems outta sync because the size of the stadium.
By your reckoning, all Irish fans mime the anthem as they're always outta sync when ya see on tv

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:01pm
This thread

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

LOL
For f**k sake ya can hear him singing it when the mic goes past him.
Just seems outta sync because the size of the stadium.
By your reckoning, all Irish fans mime the anthem as they're always outta sync when ya see on tv

so the size of the stadium puts him out of sync when the mic passes him that is being relayed directly on the TV LOL. Brilliant einstein. I wonder how Tony O'Donohue isn't out of sync then in his interviews. 

-------------

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:27pm
Seems outta sync compared to the rest of the stadium, Ted

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

I think they should hold hands and caress each other gently. Rodgering each other during the opposition's anthem is optional

You'd want to be careful though. In some cultures the Rodgering is frowned upon I think.

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 2:36pm

I think they should all line up and give each other dutch rudders.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 2:39pm
I am just glad that everything is fine in Irish football and that we can debate openly and honestly about the things that matter.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: amazaballs
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 5:51pm
i think they should change the anthem to something abit more current

Posted By: AidoM
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:15pm
Mentioned the players not turning to face the flag for the Anthem for the last few games to Roy at the hotel this evening.

He said there had been confusion as to where the flag was for these games but it would be sorted for Friday

-------------
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by AidoM AidoM wrote:

Mentioned the players not turning to face the flag for the Anthem for the last few games to Roy at the hotel this evening.

He said there had been confusion as to where the flag was for these games but it would be sorted for Friday sorted for Friday

What were you doing in the hotel with Roy?

Posted By: AidoM
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:18pm

He said there had been confusion as to where the flag was for these games but it would be sorted for Friday sorted for Friday

What were you doing in the hotel with Roy?

Stalking

-------------
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

Posted By: AaronFever
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 8:32am
Until we sew them together in some kind of football centipede I think we can all agree that these players who represent our country are unpatriotic abominations

-------------
played three, won one, lost two, scored none

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:14am
I'd prefer if they linked up well and played with some passion, over Singing a song loudly, correctly, facing the sun, facing a flag and thinking of Brian Boru have not been known to win matches despite what overweight balding middle aged men in the stands think.

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:20am

He said there had been confusion as to where the flag was for these games but it would be sorted for Friday

Ohh friends! Roy friend!

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

Ohh friends! Roy friend!
footballing friendLOL

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 2:11pm
There's a perception by bar stoolers and the general public that they don't care as much as the rugby players do , especially after the crying game that went on in Croker before they beat England.
It doesn't help though that we still get regarded as England B.

As for Robbie, he's the only one that belts it out and is a proud Irishman . Loves playing for his country and it's a pity we dont have more like him

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

There's a perception by bar stoolers and the general public that they don't care as much as the rugby players do , especially after the crying game that went on in Croker before they beat England.
It doesn't help though that we still get regarded as England B.

As for Robbie, he's the only one that belts it out and is a proud Irishman . Loves playing for his country and it's a pity we dont have more like him
That is true. The rugby lads like Trimble, the Bests, Mike Gibson and of corse Davy Tweed, all famously belted out the national anthem

-------------

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 6:54pm
Mind you when we are going down the granny rule thing again which we are don't expect any of them to sing or know the words. Facing the flag is about the best we can hope for.

Cud be worse though , it's better than that joke "Ireland's call " then the anthem after it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net