Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50310
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 7:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: General Election 2016
Posted By: Guest
Subject: General Election 2016
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:29am
I know its a bit away but you never know with the way things are going in this country, a snap election could be called. I believe the last time this happened Fine Gael were in power.

They are not the most popular at the moment and i would not be at all surprised if the marches continue into the new year and either party doesn't settle on an agreement to either abolish the water charges or bring down the price (which i cant see happening either way) that we could have one.

If the pressure mounts on Government that will surely bring conflict into play. Lets hope it does before they announce anymore taxes and next years budget.

So who would you like to see in power and why?

Replies:
Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:58am
I would like Bela Doyle from Fair City to run the country

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 4:31am
2017 before Ze Germans have their next scheduled election, & sadly, most of us aren't eligible to vote in it. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

2017 before Ze Germans have their next scheduled election, & sadly, most of us aren't eligible to vote in it. 

I live here and pay my Taxes (Water also Wink) and still cant vote Angry

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:16pm
Is there still Polish here voting for Fine Gael?

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

What?

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:55pm

Far more disturbing is the fact there are still Irish voting for Fine Gael

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 7:29pm

Only Irish and British people can vote in national elections here.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 7:35pm
Who ever voted FF should be shot.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Oh i didn't know that, i presumed any other non Irish nationals with Irish citizenship could vote and there was a lot of Polish here.
Must of been all the farmers voting for Fine Gael so LOL. Why are people still voting for them???

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 8:28pm

Oh i didn't know that, i presumed any other non Irish nationals with Irish citizenship could vote and there was a lot of Polish here.
Must of been all the farmers voting for Fine Gael so LOL. Why are people still voting for them???

You cant be a non Irish national and have Irish citizenship. If you are an Irish citizen you are an Irish national regardless of whether you were born and brought up in another country. 

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 8:50pm

If you buy your citizenship, it gives you the right to vote at national elections.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: eire32
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:22pm
FF all the way

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 1:25pm
Spoken like a true Offaly man Thumbs Up

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm
Do you think they will go this side of Christmas? Bookies have it at 1/3 of a November election

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 11:00pm
Enda seems to have softened a bit on before xmas. I doubt that he will go for it until the banking enquiry is finished though.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 11:11pm
Fine Gael will piss the next election

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Yes, I think they will perform similarly to the Conservatives in the UK election. It will be very easy to discredit the opposition parties.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:17am
Surely the population is not stupid enough to vote them in again?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:36pm
20th Nov apparently

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:58pm

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:03pm

so you start a thread and poll asking people their opinions, and then call them stupid for not agreeing with yours. Quality.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm

So they were stupid enough to vote them in the first time were they, considering the state the previous gangsters left the country in.

Well done Clap

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

100%.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:39pm
Very hard to see past them

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:40pm
They're all gangsters in fairness. The sooner we are rid of completely outdated relics of the civil war such as FF and FG the better. With a bit of luck they'll be forced into government together (their 'divide and conquer' approach has up to this point been extremely successful) and that could hopefully be the beginning of the end for both....although I accept that is highly wishful thinking. It just seems so mental that even today, after ALL the sh*t, you still bump into the odd headcase who supports the likes of FF as if they were their local football team!

We've very few political options in this country and that has always been the case since I've been around. At least there are clear differences between the likes of the Republicans/Democrats in the U.S and the Tories/Labour in the U.K. Our main two parties have always been two cheeks of the same pimply arse.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 2:03pm
In fairness Dev, I don't envy either of the Us or the UK's political systems. 

I think FG, Lab will return to gov but will likely need some help. I don't think they'll piss it like the lads above think they will! Hard to know what to think with polls etc. Snap elections have historically not worked out for the govt who calls them. I would think the GE will be in Feb/March

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 2:13pm
Fine Gael majority in the next. Labour will be squeezed out and there will be no coalition.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 2:43pm
It will not be a FG majority. It'll be a FG/FF coalition, to keep out the nasty lefties. It'll be the only viable government, anyway. The only other alternative will be a FF/SF/Lab coalition, and even that might not have enough support. FG/Lab won't have enough between them but I wouldn't bet against the rump of Labour shacking up with FF/SF.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like FF will be kingmakers. There will be too many independents, FG will never deal with SF and whichever way FF turns will dictate the next government. The alternative is a FG/Lab minority government, with the support of a few independents, but that won't last.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Fine Gael majority in the next. Labour will be squeezed out and there will be no coalition.

I'd suggest that there is zero chance of that happening ever in my lifetime.

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

In fairness Dev, I don't envy either of the Us or the UK's political systems.

Ha, fair point!

Agree there is not a hope of an FG majority government. I would imagine the arrogance levels would break the stratosphere if that ever did happen. In some ways it's a shame it doesn't as the junior partner in government is nearly always used as the scapegoat for problems/issues.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 5:48pm
It makes sense to do it this side of Christmas if FG can orchestrate it. A kind budget when people are in good form heading into Christmas beats a gloomy February/March when people are smashed after Christmas. The other parties have their own issues too right now which could be used in FG campaign.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:00pm
The problem with the opposition is, is that they don't come across to the squeezed middle as having any good policies. 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:59pm
For me....

Fine Gael = took stingy with the money
Fine Fail = too carefree with the money
Labour = don't know what to make of them anymore. Lost their identity.
Sinn Fein = no sensible ideas/policies
Independents = too unpredictable 

Don't know what I want really, you'd think a FF/FG coalition would work on paper, probably the sensible.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:15pm

so you start a thread and poll asking people their opinions, and then call them stupid for not agreeing with yours. Quality.

Your good at twisting things, you know exactly what  i meant.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

So they were stupid enough to vote them in the first time were they, considering the state the previous gangsters left the country in.

Well done Clap

So you feel the decisions they made and not made so far are justified to vote them in again?

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

They're all gangsters in fairness. The sooner we are rid of completely outdated relics of the civil war such as FF and FG the better. With a bit of luck they'll be forced into government together (their 'divide and conquer' approach has up to this point been extremely successful) and that could hopefully be the beginning of the end for both....although I accept that is highly wishful thinking. It just seems so mental that even today, after ALL the sh*t, you still bump into the odd headcase who supports the likes of FF as if they were their local football team!

We've very few political options in this country and that has always been the case since I've been around. At least there are clear differences between the likes of the Republicans/Democrats in the U.S and the Tories/Labour in the U.K. Our main two parties have always been two cheeks of the same pimply arse.

Tbh Devrozex there isn't a huge difference between those two other than the democrats slightly being the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately they've adopted a more right wing approach in order to appeal to a Republican base who'll never vote them in anyway. It's nonsensical and inexcusable when they have one of the most articulate and intelligent presidents that have ever taken office and is probably a moderate at heart tbh.

Their saving grace is that ideologically they're not for shrinking the state which the Republicans and Libertarians want. I was on the dole for 6 months and 4 months and certainly glad we had a welfare system that supported me in circumstances that were beyond my control. I'd have been in the gutter over there through no fault of my own if the Republicans and Libertarians had their way.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:10pm

Well done Clap

So you feel the decisions they made and not made so far are justified to vote them in again?

Personally I feel they've done the best job possible given what they inherited.

No-one else would have gotten us out of such a mess, especially the gangsters who got us into it.
And certainly not SF who seem to think taxes grow on trees.

Just my opinion.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:56pm

Well done Clap

No-one else would have gotten us out of such a mess, especially the gangsters who got us into it.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you up to a point. Given the blurry lines and lack of distinction between FG and FF, I don't think FG have done that bad. I'm not ideologically or personally  persuaded by either but if it was FG that were the corrupt and incompetent government that facilitated the economic collapse,cronyism etc etc  then it could be a case of the opposite party being the ones who steadied the ship.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:16pm

Well done Clap

Absolutely , the current Coalition's performance has been absolutely stellar compared to the previous incumbent's miserable , corrupt , incompetent Governance.

Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:30pm
FG will be leading the next government but I doubt very much that Labour will be joining them as they are likely to get wiped out.

If SF get anywhere close to 20% to only stable government possible will be FG/FF. However FF will not have the balls and will support a FG minority government in return for a few of their policies in the programme for government.

Paddy Power normally come in handy for elections. Giving November election at odds on 1/6. The FG minority government I predict is 13/2.

-------------
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"

Posted By: G Me
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 11:39pm
Don't worry about it

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Jerryfromkerry Jerryfromkerry wrote:

FG will be leading the next government but I doubt very much that Labour will be joining them as they are likely to get wiped out.

If SF get anywhere close to 20% to only stable government possible will be FG/FF. However FF will not have the balls and will support a FG minority government in return for a few of their policies in the programme for government.

Paddy Power normally come in handy for elections. Giving November election at odds on 1/6. The FG minority government I predict is 13/2.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 11:44pm

Well done Clap

your opinion isn't wrongeverybody is entitled to their opinion

Just my opinion.

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Tbh Devrozex there isn't a huge difference between those two other than the democrats slightly being the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately they've adopted a more right wing approach in order to appeal to a Republican base who'll never vote them in anyway. It's nonsensical and inexcusable when they have one of the most articulate and intelligent presidents that have ever taken office and is probably a moderate at heart tbh.

Their saving grace is that ideologically they're not for shrinking the state which the Republicans and Libertarians want. I was on the dole for 6 months and 4 months and certainly glad we had a welfare system that supported me in circumstances that were beyond my control. I'd have been in the gutter over there through no fault of my own if the Republicans and Libertarians had their way.

There is damn all difference in any of the parties. In any 'western' country. You only need to look at Greece for proof. Or closer to home, Labour. Nothing changes no matter who gets in. People think we have democracy, when in reality we have Capitalism. Totally disillusioned with politics and seriously considering if it is even worth while voting anymore.

Ps. I've voted in every single election and referendum since coming of age.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Jerryfromkerry Jerryfromkerry wrote:

Yup that's a great call Gerry , going to get on that

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

There is damn all difference in any of the parties. In any 'western' country. You only need to look at Greece for proof. Or closer to home, Labour. Nothing changes no matter who gets in. People think we have democracy, when in reality we have Capitalism. Totally disillusioned with politics and seriously considering if it is even worth while voting anymore.

Ps. I've voted in every single election and referendum since coming of age.

Echoing my thoughts there eire77. Never not voted in an election or referendum. Gonna follow Carlin's line on it from now on though...

http://youtu.be/xIraCchPDhk?t=1m36s" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/xIraCchPDhk?t=1m36s

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:47pm
Haha, good link h2h.

On a more serious note there is a massive difference between being too lazy to engage and making a conscious decision to abstain from the paradigm altogether. I'm veering to the latter.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:52am
So Lowry has said he'll "act in the best interests of the country" after the next election. I'm not sure who it speaks worse of: him for assuming he'll be re-elected, or the gobdaws down in Tipp who have no problem voting him on the basis that he'll look after the roads or whatever, and who cares if he has previously engaged in outrageously corrupt financial transactions for his own good, to the cost of every single person in the country?

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0125/762795-government-independents/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0125/762795-government-independents/

This is a man, remember, who was found by the Moriarty Tribunal to be engaged in activities "profoundly corrupt to a degree that was nothing short of breathtaking".

And let's not forget 2013's Lowry tapes, where the man himself was revealed to have said the following, presumably referring to hundreds of thousands of euro in undeclared income:

"I'm asking you, Kevin, for f**k's sake will you protect me just a small bit. For jaysus sake don't land me in it. I'm destroyed as it f**king is. … I can't bring out that 200 – that 250 – again. If that comes out again I'm f**king ruined, I'm bankrupt. … They can't find that 200. I never declared it."

I despair.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:18am
It is actually unbelievable. What does he even do for Tipp that makes the electorate there forget about all this?

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:29am
Stroke politics and the maverick.  We love it.  Healy Raes, Tony Gregory, Ming, Mick Wallace, Michael Lowry.  I'd give Lowry my vote any day before I'd vote for that detestable little kunt Boyd Barret

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 11:48am
At least with the Healy Raes and Tony Gregory they got a lot from the Government for their areas. What specifically has Lowry brought to Tipperary that makes him such a popular figure? I just don't get it. Lads like this who are proven to be corrupt should be barred from public office in my view.

Can anyone from Tipperary explain to me what the electorate see in this corrupt individual? Better again, is there anyone on here from Tipperary who would vote for him and explain their reasons why?

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 11:54am
Its actually a disgrace that Lowry can run for public office.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Its actually a disgrace that Lowry can run for public office.

Agreed, he should be locked up.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 12:03pm
Finne Gael the best of a horrendous bunch. Would much rather see them in charge than any of the rest. Anything they've had to do has been as a way to make up for others mistakes.

Fianna Fail got us in this mess with their dirty dealings, Labour are a joke, Sinn Fein are the Brendan Rodgers of politics, all talk and no action, make their name literally by just disagreeing with what the government does without offering an alternative and that Anti Austerity shower are living in cuckoo land.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 12:21pm
^ spot on.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 12:29pm

Finne Gael the best of a horrendous bunch. Would much rather see them in charge than any of the rest. Anything they've had to do has been as a way to make up for others mistakes.

Fianna Fail got us in this mess with their dirty dealings, Labour are a joke, Sinn Fein are the Brendan Rodgers of politics, all talk and no action, make their name literally by just disagreeing with what the government does without offering an alternative and that Anti Austerity shower are living in cuckoo land.

👍
Hard to disagree with this

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 12:40pm
I'm with ShamtheRam on this.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:08pm

I actually dont think there is any decent party.Fine Gael just implemented the plan handed down to them from EU the very same as if FF had got back into power.The same plan they criticized when in opposition.

Irish Politics is rotten to the core.

My one hope for this election is that The Labour party get absolutely annihilated in the polls and cease to exist.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:10pm

I actually dont think there is any decent party.Fine Gael just implemented the plan handed down to them from EU the very same as if FF had got back into power.The same plan they criticized when in opposition.

My one hope for this election is that The Labour party get absolutely annihilated in the polls and cease to exist.

Why ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:20pm
AnyOne who votes Fine Gael is a grade A ****. Might aswell throw on the three lions and belt out god save the Queen too. They are an Irish based wing of the Tories

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:22pm
looking forward immensely to telling Moan Burton to get the fcuk off my doorstep

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:25pm
Very harsh comparison there, the Tories do it to protect England's class system, the Blue Shirts are doing it to get themselves comfortable jobs in Europe.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:28pm
Will be voting labour myself.

Will give the social democrat candidate a transfer. Depending on polls nearer the time I'd look at possibly a transfer to fg to help keep fianna fail out.

Labour down from two sitting candidates to running only one in Dublin mid west.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

AnyOne who votes Fine Gael is a grade A ****. Might aswell throw on the three lions and belt out god save the Queen too. They are an Irish based wing of the Tories

I will be voting FG, and I put it to you the you, sir, are the ****

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm

As is, the numbers suggest that the only viable govt is FG/FF. But will either go for that? FG being twice the size of FF, would it be a death sentence for their party?

FG/Lab numbers falling just short

FF/SF numbers not close enough

Hung Dáil is very possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:34pm
Sadly, I have no one to vote for once again.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:37pm

I would imagine that a lot of people will say 'when the horse is winning, don't change the jockey.' I'm not giving an opinion but that is the opinion of many people.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:41pm

As is, the numbers suggest that the only viable govt is FG/FF. But will either go for that? FG being twice the size of FF, would it be a death sentence for their party?

Wouldn't be surprised if FG did a little better than the polls are suggesting and we end up with FG + whatever is left of Labour backed by Independents.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Sadly, I have no one to vote for once again.

Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:43pm
Forgive me, not being Irish for butting in but I'm curious about something.

As Green/eco-socialist parties across Europe are picking up more votes than ever before, why is the Green Party in Ireland struggling to make any impact ?

I'm just curious about this.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:43pm
They can all go f**k themselves as far as I'm concerned, I've decided to stop perpetuating the bullsh*t.

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

As Green/eco-socialist parties across Europe are picking up more votes than ever before, why is the Green Party in Ireland struggling to make any impact ?

They were part of the a collation which were in power during the bust in Ireland.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:46pm

They formed a government as a junior partner with Fianna Fáil, a very unpopular government, and were obliterated in the following election

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:48pm

I would imagine that a lot of people will say 'when the horse is winning, don't change the jockey.' I'm not giving an opinion but that is the opinion of many people.

True, reckon it'll be the same again, probably after a second election. Don't think die hard Labour voters in the privacy of the ballot hall will bring themselves to switch to FF or SF.

Strange thing is a lot of people are blaming FF for the destruction of the economy over the recent years which no doubt they were complicate in, yet few mention it was FF who were at the helm during the biggest boom the country ever had. During those times of fiscal recklessness the mantra of "if its not broke don't fix it" was very much en vogue. Not a million miles away from the winning jockey metaphor of today.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if FG did a little better than the polls are suggesting and we end up with FG + whatever is left of Labour backed by Independents.

I would agree. I think there is some movement left in the polls, and the pact they have with labour will help in some small way.

Mayo has 3 FG running for 4 seats. 2 of them are nearly guaranteed. The last one will be counting on transfers. I imagine it will be a similar story elsewhere.

If a govt does form, my prediction was and still is FG/Lab/Renua Otherwise, think we will have to do it over again

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:57pm
Could there be a scenario where we see a mirrored situation to that of the Conservative party in the last election in the UK?

All the opinion polls pointed to the Conservatives losing seats and heading toward another coalition yet they managed to get a majority win. Could we see a similar situation in Ireland with Fine Gael??

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:58pm

True, reckon it'll be the same again, probably after a second election. Don't think die hard Labour voters in the privacy of the ballot hall will bring themselves to switch to FF or SF.

Strange thing is a lot of people are blaming FF for the destruction of the economy over the recent years which no doubt they were complicate in, yet few mention it was FF who were at the helm during the biggest boom the country ever had. During those times of fiscal recklessness the mantra of "if its not broke don't fix it" was very much en vogue. Not a million miles away from the winning jockey metaphor of today.

Remember how well they did in 2007 even when McWilliams and Eddie Hobbs were telling us Armageddon was around the corner and Bertie was telling us anyone talking down the boom should commit suicide? Fun times.

"In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve" - Joseph de Maistre

At the time, I put them at the very bottom, even below the Christian Democratic Party (whoever the f**k they are/were). Not voting for anyone this time. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:59pm
Majority for FG is highly doubtful but still reckon they'll probably do slightly better than the polls are suggesting

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:00pm
80 seats is the magic number It will be interesting, no doubt!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:01pm
We are f**ked lads. Too many lobbyist groups and an anti-government of the day media, with no balance.

Fine Gael are supposed to be the most right wing mainstream party we have. So what has happened over the last few years is the furthest right we will go. Yet people are still paying an obcene amount of tax. Not just on income but with stealth taxes and VAT. Now the potential new leader of Fine Gael wants to bring in Nanny State Taxes for Sugar and alcohol.

Now we have lobby groups and the media wanting to spend more money all sorts. In the last week alone we have had whinging about more money needed for, mental health-more tax, hospital beds-more tax, free council houses-more tax, more halting sites for pikeys to wreck-more tax, LUAS drivers on strike-more tax.

Next week there will be a sh*tload of new stuff. We will tax ourselves into a stagnant economy. It's near impossible to live in Dublin as a single person on a good wage. We will end up with a massive brain-drain and a welfare state economy.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:03pm
I reckon FG mid to high 60's,Labour on about 10 with a number of independents pushing them over the line

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

We are f**ked lads. Too many lobbyist groups and an anti-government of the day media, with no balance.

Fine Gael are supposed to be the most right wing mainstream party we have. So what has happened over the last few years is the furthest right we will go. Yet people are still paying an obcene amount of tax. Not just on income but with stealth taxes and VAT. Now the potential new leader of Fine Gael wants to bring in Nanny State Taxes for Sugar and alcohol.

Now we have lobby groups and the media wanting to spend more money all sorts. In the last week alone we have had whinging about more money needed for, mental health-more tax, hospital beds-more tax, free council houses-more tax, more halting sites for pikeys to wreck-more tax, LUAS drivers on strike-more tax.

Next week there will be a sh*tload of new stuff. We will tax ourselves into a stagnant economy. It's near impossible to live in Dublin as a single person on a good wage. We will end up with a massive brain-drain and a welfare state economy.
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3217494/7092073/KS-DU-15-001-EN-N.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3217494/7092073/KS-DU-15-001-EN-N.pdf
I'm not sure where you're getting this high tax idea.

In 2012, we collected 28.7% of GDP in tax. The EU average is closer to 40%.

It truth FG/labour are looking to erode the tax base. Especially with the abolition of USC for low and middle income earners. Personally, I don't have a problem paying tax for public services and social programmes. I'd much rather live under a Nordic model, with good public services funded by tax, than a US style one, with low tax and people being given food stamps etc.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:23pm

Why ?

They won seats on their promise to be different,they could be trusted to implement the pre election policies.I expect a party to talk sh*t pre election but labour abandoned their manifesto 100% to jump into powerwith FG and have been nothing more than a lapdog.

They could have done a good job in opposition but were willing to take scraps off FG and get a few ministerial positions.They f**ked over the core of the party to get into that coalition and I cant wait for it to backfire totally on them.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:41pm

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

I would agree. I think there is some movement left in the polls, and the pact they have with labour will help in some small way.

Mayo has 3 FG running for 4 seats. 2 of them are nearly guaranteed. The last one will be counting on transfers. I imagine it will be a similar story elsewhere.

If a govt does form, my prediction was and still is FG/Lab/Renua Otherwise, think we will have to do it over again
Ring will top the poll in Mayo, Kenny will probably make it second, FF will take a seat aswell! Hopefully Michelle Mulheirn loses out we haven't forgotten the phone calls to Africa!

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:42pm

It's near impossible to live in Dublin as a single person on a good wage.
I manage it quite comfortably thank you very much.

MON THE BLUESHIRTS !!!!!
ERIN GO BRIT.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:52pm

MON THE BLUESHIRTS !!!!!
ERIN GO BRIT.

You are in your 40s? Already have a house?

There are people leaving college now that are going into jobs that will be paying well in a few years time but will be barely be able to afford rent and will have no chance to save up the 20% needed to get a mortgage on a house.

Anybody under the age of 30 has missed the boat.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:54pm
@seanyshuffler & Mayo Mark 

Thanks for the reply. Thumbs Up

At least you guys in Ireland are lucky you don't have a far-right "send the buggers back" party like UKIP harvesting votes from the gullible.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:54pm

MON THE BLUESHIRTS !!!!!
ERIN GO BRIT.

There are people leaving college now that are going into jobs that will be paying well in a few years time but will be barely be able to afford rent and will have no chance to save up the 20% needed to get a mortgage on a house.

They can do what I had to do in the 80s/90s under the Haughey Regime - emigrate.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:57pm
Already have, in their thousands

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:57pm

One of it's prominent members told another member of parliament in the Dail chamber - "Fcuk you Deputy Stagg, fcuk you".

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:00pm

One of it's prominent members told another member of parliament in the Dail chamber - "Fcuk you Deputy Stagg, fcuk you".

Which was rather ironic given what Deputy Stagg allegedly got up to in the Phoenix Park

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm
Usually vote for some non descript independent but I don't think I'll bother for the first time in an election. 

I don't think politics is the answer to bettering your own circumstances...had work and doing it yourself is. 

f**k da system up da rahBig smile

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:07pm

Aye I've seen that on youtube -"Deputy Gogarty, that is most unparliamentary language"

Have seen a few videos too of various TD's having verbal scraps with Mr Barrett the Ceann Comhairle which was LOL

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:10pm
Would struggle to know who to vote for if I was at home.
Went on one of those guidance sites last week which asks you to answer some questions based on current issues and then points you at a candidate who most closely represents your views : I got some independent who is described as "Author, Model, Academic" ?!?!

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:13pm

MON THE BLUESHIRTS !!!!!
ERIN GO BRIT.

They can do what I had to do in the 80s/90s under the Haughey Regime - emigrate.

That's where my point of a brain drain comes from. During the last mass migration 6-7 years ago it was construction and trades people leaving. There was no market for them in Ireland.

Now we are talking about highly skilled financial/science/medical people that will leave because of the tax rates and cost of living in Dublin. There is still a market for those people,  they just won't want the jobs and those people are not replacable. They will emigrate. The economy will stagnate and jobs for trades people and construction workers are gone again.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:18pm
@ LD
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/unemployment-continues-to-decline-as-economy-recovers-1.2415298

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:24pm

The trilogy of evil there...Fine Gael do absolutely NOTHING for the promotion and protection of Irish culture. A horrible party full of horrible slimy West British f**kers (varadker aside). A suicide epidemic around the country has broken out on their watch, something that unfortunately came close too home recently. They shipped out a whole generation of our citizens to other countries. The health service is an absolute disgrace for a supposed developed country and it's only getting worse. Homelessness is the national shame of the current administration too.

As for Labour...They have betrayed their ideals for a seat at the top table. The biggest ****s of all

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:27pm

Don't think die hard Labour voters in the privacy of the ballot hall will bring themselves to switch to FF or SF.

Labour have never had a strong die hard vote. 

The 1992 and 2011 elections were very much historical anomalies where Labour achieved a much higher number of seats than normal by capturing a lot of the floating vote due to disillusionment with Fianna Fail (and Fine Gael in 1992).

In a 166 seat Dail their historical average was around 17 seats. 

They'll be doing well to get more than 10 this time.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:28pm

@seanyshuffler & Mayo Mark 

Thanks for the reply. Thumbs Up

At least you guys in Ireland are lucky you don't have a far-right "send the buggers back" party like UKIP harvesting votes from the gullible.

They are far left here.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net