Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50262
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:58pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Healthy meals easy to prepare
Posted By: Gavintheslob
Subject: Healthy meals easy to prepare
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 10:56pm
find myself coming homing and making unhealthy meals, just because they are quick and easy to prepare

Anyone know easy healthy meals to prepare as an alternative

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Replies:
Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:15pm
Chicken/beef/lamb stir fry, 30 mins in prep and cooking. Easiest meal in the world to cook and very healthy.

Omlettes. Really healthy, really quick.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:18pm
Pasta is the winner here.

For breakfast I do something basic with beans - Beans are rich in fibre.

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Beans on Toast? Or building Lego?

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Beans on Toast? Or building Lego?

Haha. Yeah like toast or toasties

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:26pm
Stir fry is by far the quickest.

Boil the kettle and put on wok on full heat.

Chop, chilli, garlic and ginger, chicken\beef\port , onion, carrot strips, bell peppers, courgette and green beans, mangetoute or whatever you want.

Oil on pan - add chilli, garlic and ginger, meat and onion quickly and then add the rest.

Add in some chicken stock too and then finish with soy sauce.

Serve with rice or noodles. Noodles takes about 5 mins to cook.

You can mix it up a bit too by adding bean sprouts, broccoli, cashew nuts, pretty much anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Fajitas or any other mexican dish takes minutes.

Anything with potatoes will take a long time to cook unless you pre cook them.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:37pm
Rice, veg and some passatta, 12 mins top to cook and ruddy bloody good

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 12:01am
[QUOTE=9fingers] Chicken/beef/lamb stir fry, 30 mins in prep and cooking. Easiest meal in the world to cook and very healthy.

Make some extra stir fry (with no sauce)and keep for next day in fridge , whack it into a wrap/burrito and bang it on the toasted sandwich maker or George fornby!!

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 12:05am
Bang it on a ukulele?

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 1:09am
When your cleaning windows...:)

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Bang it on a ukulele?

No. Off a rusty Trombone. Think it's called a "Croque Monsieur" €3.99 get your arse rimmed down in Smithfield. fcukin bargaintown!

Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:16am
Stick salmon, asparagus and big Mushrooms in the oven, only takes 20mins! Can have wholegrain rice with it. Tasty as f**k when you add a bit of teriyaki sauce. Often have a poached egg with it too Thumbs Up

-------------
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:21am
salmon is the key to healthy eating. great stuff.

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Chop, chilli, garlic and ginger, chicken\beef\port , onion, carrot strips, bell peppers, courgette and green beans, mangetoute or whatever you want.

Oil on pan - add chilli, garlic and ginger, meat and onion quickly and then add the rest.

You can mix it up a bit too by adding bean sprouts, broccoli, cashew nuts, pretty much anything.

you know what, i have never had a stirfry, it sounds lovely tho

might give that a go

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:32am
rice,salmon/chicken and veg

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:50am
Spaghetti, prawns, rocket and cherry tomatoes.

Cook the spaghetti, throw a handful of prawns on the pan with some garlic and chilli and then mix with the spaghetti along with some rocket, parmasan cheese and cherry tomatoes.

Bit of pepper and some lemon juice if you have it handy - prep and cook 15 mins.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:52am
Steak is the tastiest healthy option imo and veryquick. Can buy it in bulk and keep in the freezer, just take one out each morning to defrost. Have sweet potato with it instead of normal spuds. Steam a bit of veg and you have yourself a tasty healthy meal in under 15 mins.

Another one of my favourites is chilli. Get some 95% lean beef/turkey mince fry it up with some kidney beans, tomato passata, onions, chilli powder and some fresh chillis. Boil some wholegrain brown rice and theres another good meal in well under 1/2 an hour.

As mentioned before, stir fry is by far the easiest and if you mix it up with the meat/fish you use it doesn't get too repetitive.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 12:29pm

Do this all the time and it's helped me lose 3st in less than a year. I normally add a heap of curry powder in to the chicken stock too, give it a nice singapore noodle like taste.

I use frylight spray instead of oil as it's v low in cals and much less waste.

Thse websites are great for recipes

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/  or http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy-eating/non-vegetarian/day-1.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy-eating/non-vegetarian/day-1.aspx

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Steak is the tastiest healthy option imo and veryquick. Can buy it in bulk and keep in the freezer, just take one out each morning to defrost. Have sweet potato with it instead of normal spuds. Steam a bit of veg and you have yourself a tasty healthy meal in under 15 mins.

Another one of my favourites is chilli. Get some 95% lean beef/turkey mince fry it up with some kidney beans, tomato passata, onions, chilli powder and some fresh chillis. Boil some wholegrain brown rice and theres another good meal in well under 1/2 an hour.

As mentioned before, stir fry is by far the easiest and if you mix it up with the meat/fish you use it doesn't get too repetitive.

Have a look at the Jamie Oliver chilli recipe .

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 1:42pm
Salmon used to be great. So hard to get proper stuff, all bland farmed rubbish.
You CANNOT freeze steak. You absolutely destroy it, you also have to have at least medium well which is just over cooking it.
Horse's prawn pasta is lovely and so quick.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Salmon used to be great. So hard to get proper stuff, all bland farmed rubbish.
You CANNOT freeze steak. You absolutely destroy it, you also have to have at least medium well which is just over cooking it.
Horse's prawn pasta is lovely and so quick.

Yeah I agree with you there, I usually buy a 4 pack of fillet steaks for 2 of us and I'd eat them on the day and the day after so I can have them medium rare. 

I have on occasion bought them to freeze though when they are on a good deal in butchers because of the use by date approaching, definitely no where near as good to eat from frozen but still if you don't mind a medium/well steak they're still a great & healthy dinner.

Musgraves is great for good value filets of steak.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:08pm
If you like a well done steak, save your money. There are plenty cheaper cuts you can cremate

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:24am
Bump

for people who take lunches into work.... what would you normally take?

I'm always taking in the hang sandwiches but want something healthier but easy to make in the evening/morning.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:29am
on a bit of a smoothie buzz at the minute myself

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: newrygreen
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:38am
Usually take rice and chicken/turkey. Or I would have rice/lettuce/onion/peppers/sweetcorn with chicken as well. Quick to prepare and has helped me lose 2 and a half stone. Used to eat sandwiches everyday. Not eating bread has helped a lot.

-------------
Twitter: @50SavesOfDeGea

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:43am
Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

Bump

I'm always taking in the hang sandwiches but want something healthier but easy to make in the evening/morning.

I make a chicken, ham and peppers 2 egg omelette every morning for breakfast.
For lunch sometimes I will have whatever is left over from my dinner - stir fry, curry etc all made with spices and brown rice Or I would make a chicken or salmon salad

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:47am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Bump

For lunch sometimes I will have whatever is left over from my dinner - stir fry, curry etc all made with spices and brown rice Or I would make a chicken or salmon salad

that sounds like a pain in the arse every morning!
I stick to the cup of strong black coffee and about 4 ciggies

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:50am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Bump

I stick to the cup of strong black coffee and about 4 ciggies

It is but its worth it. I used to be a 2 cups of tea and 3 ciggies gal myself but not anymore!!

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:55am
Smoothie, or a pita with chicken, iceberg lettuce and salad cream for lunch

Mornings usually scrambled egg with a small amount of Low low cheese in a wholemeal tortilla eat my breakfast driving usually unless I'm off so its handy 

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:59am

Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Bump

For lunch sometimes I will have whatever is left over from my dinner - stir fry, curry etc all made with spices and brown rice <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Or I would make a chicken or salmon salad</span>

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I stick to the cup of strong black coffee and about 4 ciggies</span>

It is but its worth it. I used to be a 2 cups of tea and 3 ciggies gal myself but not anymore!!

I just cut up a couple of onions and mushrooms and leave them in a lunchbox in the fridge so in the morning it saves me time cutting it all up again. Omelettes are very handy and quick to make and pretty healthy as well

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:04am
And if you want to be very lazy and have healthy lunch options, just bulk cook on a Sunday, put three meals in lunchboxes in the fridge and two in the freezer and that's your prep for the week sorted. I've done it for years (I'd actually cook all my lunches and dinners for the week on a Sunday - about 14 meals) and have all my cooking/washing up done in about 1.5 hours, and don't need to worry about it till the following week

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:11am
Re-heated food is rank.

A lot of food you can't freeze and reheat properly.

Mash and some soups.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:22am
http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/spaghetti-carbonara.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/spaghetti-carbonara.aspx
Had this the other day and it was a really nice. It's got fat free fromais frais in it instead of cream but I can't taste the difference.

Back dieting again after a mad couple of weeks celebrating, I've lost 3lbs this week.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/spaghetti-carbonara.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/spaghetti-carbonara.aspx
Had this the other day and it was a really nice. It's got fat free fromais frais in it instead of cream but I can't taste the difference.

Back dieting again after a mad couple of weeks celebrating, I've lost 3lbs this week.

Their curry is amazing Heart

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:34am

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Their curry is amazing Heart

Thumbs Up Love the curry. There's some great recipes and I've actually started enjoying cooking. Whereas before I used to survive on sandwiches and pints.

http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/chilli-con-carne.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/chilli-con-carne.aspx

This is lovely too.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:52am
Been very bad with me dinners since she started working evenings at the start of the year.
When it was two of us there I had more time to get the food and prepare and she would keep me in check in terms of us eating more healthy dinners for us and kids. But now she works evenings we find ourselves rushing around Like mad things and by the Time i finally get home from work, collect the kids and get settled I am often just going for the frozen food option for me and the kids. Need to get on board with some or the quick healthy options which have been thrown up here!

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Been very bad with me dinners since she started working evenings at the start of the year.
When it was two of us there I had more time to get the food and prepare and she would keep me in check in terms of us eating more healthy dinners for us and kids. But now she works evenings we find ourselves rushing around Like mad things and by the Time i finally get home from work, collect the kids and get settled I am often just going for the frozen food option for me and the kids. Need to get on board with some or the quick healthy options which have been thrown up here!

I'd definitely recommend doing the whole making a big pot of something and freezing it thing. If you've not got the time in the evening then you can just throw something in the microwave.

That chilli I just put up is a great one for freezing.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:33pm
Make a big pot of their curry and freeze that bad boy!!

Also their KFC chicken and SW chips are amazing 

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 6:37pm

Make a big pot of their curry and freeze that bad boy!!

Also their KFC chicken and SW chips are amazing 

Their KFC chicken is outstanding.. Embarrassed along with their Mexican chilli chicken... its great. 

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Smoothie, or a pita with chicken, iceberg lettuce and salad cream for lunch

Mornings usually scrambled egg with a small amount of Low low cheese in a wholemeal tortilla eat my breakfast driving usually unless I'm off so its handy 

That just reminded me of the "strange things people do" thread where someone said they used to hear a crunching noise in the office and it turned out it was a colleague used to sit at his desk munching away on an iceberg lettuce LOL

@Horsebox - have to disagree, some stuff is nicer heated up; steak/chicken casseroles, sheperds pie are all well nicer re-heated.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:57pm

Re-heated food is rank.

A lot of food you can't freeze and reheat properly.

Mash and some soups.

It beats eating shyte every evening you little pup

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 10:38pm
The easiest ? Cut up some peppers , asparagus and courgette . Roll them around in rapeseed oil and season with salt pepper and paprika . Bundle them in the oven for 20 mins gas mark 6 . . Grill a bit of fish with it . Grand job

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net