Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50140
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 4:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Heary to Sligo?
Posted By: Cotsy
Subject: Heary to Sligo?
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 12:41pm

Doing the rounds on twitter this morning.

Hope he stays. Has improved as a manager this season after an appalling start where i was one who thought his time was up.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Replies:
Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Doing the rounds on twitter this morning.

Hope he stays. Has improved as a manager this season after an appalling start where i was one who thought his time was up.

Done deal. (bar the paperwork!!!)
Offered the job last week and was given the weekend to decide. Niall Harrison and Gavin Dykes to be involved also.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 1:52pm

So he has accepted it? Disappointed i have to say. He will try and take our better players too i imagine.

As a firm Rodestant i obviously now hope the Messiah returns.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 2:23pm
He's been offered it. In fairness Costy I don't think he has fully accepted (depending on who you talk to) It is expected he will accept tho. Could be a young team for us next year if he does. He has a young team at Bohs and with Niall Harrison (ex u15 Ireland manager) and Dykes (currently Manager with Kelly of the Rovers underage set up) !!!

40 applications for the job. 15 of which were able to be considered.

Gary Boylan on trial in England too. Hudersfield I think, (Celtic trial also)hopefully the scholarship set up a few years ago is starting to bear fruit.

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm
A great move for Bohs

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:01pm

How do you figure? Are you being sarcastic? Or just not rate him?

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Posted By: starryplough
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:05pm
The rumours of Sligo's financial difficulties must be true if that is the caliber of manager they are after

-------------
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:05pm
What has he done to justify Sligo taking a punt on him?

-------------

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:09pm
Dont think it will happen (rumours)

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

The rumours of Sligo's financial difficulties must be true if that is the caliber of manager they are after
it's very much a downsizing move. Heary can sign a load of kids and underperform there too

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

it's very much a downsizing move. Heary can sign a load of kids and underperform there too

Yeah very odd one they must be really desperate, Bohs probably get some compo off this as well I'd say they can't believe their luck. Would be a bit of a change not seeing some annoying Englishman at Sligo though

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 3:56pm
We take a chance on young ambitious managers trying to make a name for themselves. We always have. Cook and Baraclough were in a very similar boat and look how that turned out!!! Sanchez, Cotteril and McStay are others that have got a start here. Its the way we've always done it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The only difference this time is that its from inside the league I suppose (if it happens of course).

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

We take a chance on young ambitious managers trying to make a name for themselves. We always have. Cook and Baraclough were in a very similar boat and look how that turned out!!! Sanchez, Cotteril and McStay are others that have got a start here. Its the way we've always done it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The only difference this time is that its from inside the league I suppose (if it happens of course).

So are Sligo fans in general behind this appointment if it goes ahead? To the outsider Heary would appear a bizarre choice though, a lot of Bohs fans seem to have no time for him.

-------------

Posted By: moose
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:27pm
Yep a good employee, if he goes so be it, we get someone else in and move on.

It would be a silly move for him IMO. Sligo are on the descent and Bohs will be challenging for trophies within a few years. Hes from Cabra, if he feels like travelling up and down to Sligo for training and matches well I wish him well. It may not happen as Im sure he knows whats going on behind the scenes at Bohs and Im sure hes well aware of what he could achieve at Bohs over the next few seasons.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:31pm

cook and baraclough all had experience, hearys new to managment.If he goes dont expect to much, with bohs there was no talk of winning things ,just stay up and build for the future

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by moose moose wrote:

It would be a silly move for him IMO. Sligo are on the descent and Bohs will be challenging for trophies within a few years. Hes from Cabra, if he feels like travelling up and down to Sligo for training and matches well I wish him well. It may not happen as Im sure he knows whats going on behind the scenes at Bohs and Im sure hes well aware of what he could achieve at Bohs over the next few seasons.

LOL I'm sorry I know this is a thread on Sligo but seriously? Bohs will be lucky to be still on the go in a few years, never mind trophies

-------------

Posted By: moose
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:42pm

LOL I'm sorry I know this is a thread on Sligo but seriously? Bohs will be lucky to be still on the go in a few years, never mind trophies

Oh yeah forgot about that. I dont know what came over me!!!

But Ill tell you one thing freindo, that €175k thats left in your bank account wont last long with Nutsy around. 

Now if you want to carry this on I think we should move to the Shams - Big Club Megathread

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:45pm
Don't really know where the idea Bohs are going to be winning trophies anytime soon is coming from. 

We're certainly in transition all the same. Not in any major financial difficulty I wouldn't think but if crowds continued the way they were then we certainly would be. Only had just over 1k at the last two home games. Chairman had an excellent interview on Ocean FM a few weeks ago. Basically saying they took the decision to get rid of Barraclough as they wanted to make sure that they got through a round in Europe and didn't feel he was certain to do it. Also said that 3.5k a week was saved on the wage bills by all the ins and outs that happened around June and July and that with the drop off in crowds that saving was badly needed. 

As for Heary, personally thought he'd done a decent enough job with Bohs. Just happy the Mitchell Brothers are gone.

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:46pm

DoneDeal (bar the paperwork!!!)

Offered the job last week and was given the weekend to decide. Niall Harrison and Gavin Dykes to be involved also.

Thought yis would of been using Ebay meself or that old reliable Ackrintin Staanlee website? 

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:48pm

Oh yeah forgot about that. I dont know what came over me!!!

But Ill tell you one thing freindo, that €175k thats left in your bank account wont last long with Nutsy around. 

Now if you want to carry this on I think we should move to the Shams - Big Club Megathread

Where are you getting your €175k figure from LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:02pm
Bohs got partial Rovers 2012 accounts and reckon we 'only' have €175k in savings. The fact it's the members club accounts and not the football club is irrelevant

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:14pm
But back on topic, what has he achieved to deserve a bigger job?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by brissy brissy wrote:

cook and baraclough all had experience, hearys new to managment.If he goes dont expect to much, with bohs there was no talk of winning things ,just stay up and build for the future

Nope.
Cook had 28 games as a manger with Southport.
Baraclough had 34 games as a manager with S****horpe.
Heary has a full season with Bohs.

If he's not based in Sligo then I wouldn't be interested.

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:23pm
This does seem like a move to suggest Sligo are finished with challenging for leagues for the moment, it happens every club in the league without exception! Just my opinion though

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:37pm
Cant see Heary moving to Sligo, hes a proper dub it would be a massive move for him. Rumours

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:38pm
We'll have to wait and see on that one Joey. I agree with ya tho, the LOI goes in circles, with clubs having different success. The club is in transition at the minute but a well run club has a good chance in this league, for that reason I think we will have a chance.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 11:00pm
Board want to see more players coming through the youth system and since the Rosenborg game the one good thing to come out has been the amount of under 19s who have been given a chance and in most cases performed pretty well

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:59pm

Sounds like a done deal.

Delighted, Sligo won't be a force for a few more seasons.

-------------

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:23pm
One thing I will say about Sligo, if they do scale back at least they will always have the new stand for their success which is more than most clubs have besides the couple of league wins

Posted By: BFC
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 4:16pm

f**k him, not as if he is irreplaceable

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 6:36pm

Sounds like a done deal.

Delighted, Sligo won't be a force for a few more seasons.

This fills me with hope!

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:11pm

Bohs boss Heary poised to replace Coleman in Sligo hotseat

Bohemians boss Owen Heary has agreed to become the new manager of Sligo Rovers.

The Dubliner is set to leave his current post and succeed John Coleman who left The Showgrounds to return to England after his brief spell in the hotseat following the departure of Ian Baraclough.

Sligo decided to look to a homegrown option to fill this vacancy and they identified Gypsies supremo Heary as their preferred candidate. He will be handed a two year deal to revive the fortunes of his new employers.

Ireland U19 boss Paul Doolin and ex-Shamrock Rovers supremo Trevor Croly were also floated as potential options for the position.

Heary took over at cash-strapped Bohemians midway through last season, although he lacked the requisite coaching qualifications to take the job on a full-time basis until this year.

The Dalymount Park side sit in eighth place heading into their final game of the season against Derry this Friday, six points behind fifth-placed Sligo, who have performed below expectations.

-------------

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:24pm
Of the three mentioned he is definitely the best candidate. Doolin ffs!

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Think his FAI gig is nearly up and is desperate for anything. It still doesn't make sense to me why Sligo wouldn't go after Mick Cooke, the only reason they appear not interested is because he isn't a young manager Confused. I think he'd be a good fit

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:33pm

Well he was their second choice... Wink

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:43pm
We went for doolin before we gave roddy the job. I'd have been happy with him tbh

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: 1980
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:49pm
Quietly optimistic. He stopped Bohs getting relegated and got into a safe mid table spot. With a few extra quid hopefully can improve on that.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:00pm

Think his FAI gig is nearly up and is desperate for anything. It still doesn't make sense to me why Sligo wouldn't go after Mick Cooke, the only reason they appear not interested is because he isn't a young manager Confused. I think he'd be a good fit

After watching the "style" of Coleman and Bell don't think there would have been too many going to watch a Mick Cooke team play every second week.

Boards plan is to begin to start getting players through from the youth system rather then bringing in a new batch of players every season. Been a long time since we brought anyone through from underage that was any good (Coleman was just found in a friendly match against St Catherines). Think Heary could be a good fit with that in mind but sure we'll see. 

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:04pm
Doolin is an awful hoofball merchant. Worst I have seen.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:55am
Best of luck to Owen Heary in his new job at Sligo

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 1980 1980 wrote:

Quietly optimistic. He stopped Bohs getting relegated and got into a safe mid table spot. With a few extra quid hopefully can improve on that.
But I think the point is that Sligo targetted Croly, failed to get him, then went for a rookie manager whose sum achievement has been not getting a team relegated. On the face of it that is a significiant lowering of expectations.

We have all heard stories that the finances in Sligo need reacting to and its good that Sligs are reacting with a downsize job, its just a pity that the boom and bust hit Sligo too.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:13pm

But I think the point is that Sligo targetted Croly, failed to get him, then went for a rookie manager whose sum achievement has been not getting a team relegated. On the face of it that is a significiant lowering of expectations.

We have all heard stories that the finances in Sligo need reacting to and its good that Sligs are reacting with a downsize job, its just a pity that the boom and bust hit Sligo too.

After a few years of competing and punching above their weight Sligo are reverting to their traditional place in Irish football, lower premier division/nowhere. Slig fans will probably argue it was worth it for them few brief years. I don't think they are in for anything pretty next season and Heary will end up looking to move back to Dublin anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm
I think you are being a little bit harsh. Sligs people see that they are facing a lean few years financially and are talking appropriate action. Better than trying to spend their way out of it again.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:46pm

After a few years of competing and punching above their weight Sligo are reverting to their traditional place in Irish football, lower premier division/nowhere. Slig fans will probably argue it was worth it for them few brief years. I don't think they are in for anything pretty next season and Heary will end up looking to move back to Dublin anyway

Even for you that is a nonsensical post

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:56pm
I am surprised Sligo have jumped into the loi merrygoround by appointing Heary and it may will be a case of cutting back financially but to suggest Rovers will not be a major player is crazy. The infrastructure they have in place makes them the most secure club in the league. They are really looking into player development, something they might feel Heary can improve. It might take a couple of years but I can't see them being away for too long.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:58pm
Why are they any more or less secure than anyone else?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:59pm

I think you are being a little bit harsh. Sligs people see that they are facing a lean few years financially and are talking appropriate action. Better than trying to spend their way out of it again.

Agree with this. It's only 6 years ago since we were begging for money to stay afloat.

On the appointment itself always felt Heary did a decent job at Bohs considering the circumstances. Happy enough with it. 

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:09pm

Why are they any more or less secure than anyone else?

Not just financially. Off the field they have everything in place

-------------

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:09pm
I see the muppet show has arrived here now

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:21pm

Not just financially. Off the field they have everything in place
Like what? Who was the last young player to come through their ranks? Unless I am missing something they have zero players they produced on their books - how is that better than Bohs, Cork, Rovers, Derry etc?

I amn't having a pop at them, but its quite the statement to suggest they have the best setup of all clubs.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:42pm
I amn't saying everything is perfect and they are the finished article but their ground is far superior to Bohs and Derry, their whole complex is the best in the league, in the heart of their town. City's youth system and local recruitment policy brought us to the last day of the season. From what I read elsewhere is that they seem to be adopting a similar approach. From what I can see, despite a disappointing season on the pitch, they have every reason to be positive about the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:53pm
Should we not wait and see if they produce any talent before we declare their youth system better than Derry, Cork, UCD etc?

I suppose what I am getting at is that I am surprised that yiou believe the line that Sligs have chosen to not have a competitive team and decided to play kids as some form of decision they have made from strength as opposed to a cost cutting excercise. There is nothing wrong with that decision, but lets call a spade a spade

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:59pm

Should we not wait and see if they produce any talent before we declare their youth system better than Derry, Cork, UCD etc?

I suppose what I am getting at is that I am surprised that yiou believe the line that Sligs have chosen to not have a competitive team and decided to play kids as some form of decision they have made from strength as opposed to a cost cutting excercise. There is nothing wrong with that decision, but lets call a spade a spade
The argument I was making was basted on SP's belief that they were going to fade into the backwater. They have cut their costs, after rebuilding a ground to exceptional standards and delivering top quality training facilities. I never declared their youth facilities a success, merely that it is the correct path to follow. They have arguably the best ground and facilities of any team, talking of their demise is premature.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 3:26pm
Well that isn't what you said, but I take your point.

But there is a difference between relying on your youth system because you trust it like Derry, UCD or Cork, or what Rovers want to be in a position to do with the 1st Division side and having to rely on youth like Bohs or what it appears Sligo will be doing because you are broke.

I can see them struggling very hard as the crowds decline. I can see them doing ok too. We will see what he has to work with and how stringent the cuts are.

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:25pm
Who is/has taken over at Bohs?

Posted By: LesVerts
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Who is/has taken over at Bohs?

Don't think anyone yet, a lot of bohs fans want roddy, trevor croly has been mentioned too.

-------------
SRFC 17/24

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 7:05pm
Johnny mc mentioned if Shels don't win the playoff

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:30pm

They won't win it

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

They won't win it

Think they will. Lump on them RTID!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:44pm
That might not be the freshest rumour I'll admit

-------------

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:53pm
This appointment must sound initially like your newly pregnant wife arriving home to tell you that she has decided your son/daughter will be named after a piece of fruit or such like she read of in a ditzy magazine
It jars initially but as you release your grip on the nearest lump hammer you realise the fit makes perfect sense to the occasion. 

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:14pm

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 10:02pm
I certainly hope you have changed your underwear since you heard it RTID

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:36am
Croly or Roddy LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:47am

Croly or Roddy LOL
If the bozo continues to have the expectation of survival only, then Croly may do a job.

Roddy will destroy them and for that reason I fully support him getting the job.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 2:04pm
Heary done an interview on local radio station. He spoke well. Some of what he talked about was: our budget not been as high and that local and youth players would play there part and it was a building process (he has a 2 year contract). The training facilities were excellent and would be a big draw for players looking for full time training.

From a Bohs perspective he mentioned that Bohs had done well this season but he felt that they would lose players and he thought that staying there would have meant building a whole new team for next season. He said Kevin Devaney is coming to Rovers and that training on the pitch from only 6 to 7.30 wasn't ideal.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:23am
I don't think anyone doubts its a good move for Heary. The questions are

a: has he done enough at Bohs to justify a bigger job and

b: what this says about Sligo and their ambition.

As for who replaces him, that will be a hoot. With Croly the boards target and Roddy the fans choice, it is going to be great auld fun.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:32am

As for who replaces him, that will be a hoot. With Croly the boards target and Roddy the fans choice, it is going to be great auld fun.

For me it says a lot that Bohs fans don't particularly care that he left, he was hardly known for expansive football either which won't go down well with the Sligs who think they are Ajax.

Apparently the third choice possibility is Long who just relegated Athlone LOL

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:39am

For me it says a lot that Bohs fans don't particularly care that he left, he was hardly known for expansive football either which won't go down well with the Sligs who think they are Ajax.

I think everyone would agree that Mick Cooke deserves all the credit for that one

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I think everyone would agree that Mick Cooke deserves all the credit for that one

Either way it shows what Bohs have returned to. One of them was on here the other day talking about winning trophies ffs

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 12:08pm
Gypoweb is absolutely hilarious at the moment. Even by their petty, bitter and paranoid standards its side splitting. Nearly all of them want Roddy on the basis that he will sign international stars, who will play samba football, massively increase their crowds, sponsors will flock and the Rovers dominated media will decide that Roddy is a legend and give the club massive PR.

For this reason I want Roddy in. They have a very interesting interpretation of Roddy and his time there. They won some stuff and crowds were better than today, so if they can just bring him back it will all fall into place.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 12:23pm
why do you read other clubs message boards?

-------------

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 1:01pm

Dont see why either but why even ask? Why does it matter?

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:15pm

As a rule I don't, but I make an exception for that place. It is an absolute hoot - whenever I am feeling down, 2 mins on there cheers me right up. It is literally like something from an outreach programme in a psychiatric hospital. Delusion, paranoia, fights, racism, homophobia and all round eejitry. Fantasic fun

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:17pm
each to their own i guess

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:26pm
Sounds like a bus man's holiday for a Shamrocker.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:35pm
Have a read of the place, its almost Follow Follow in its insanity.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 12:59pm

a. Whether he 'justifies' it doesn't really come into it. Its a risk for both sides. We take a chance on young ambitious managers, that's the way we've always done it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

b. Our 'ambition' hasn't changed at all really. We still want to win trophies and improve the Showgrounds. That will always be our 2 main aims. We're rebuilding at the moment and it looks like youth development will play a bigger part than it has in recent years.

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:10pm
I think Sligo could have done better in terms of a youth development manager than a guy whose hands were tied in many ways.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net