URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=49838
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 12:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Android TV Box
Posted By: rossieman
Subject: Android TV Box
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 9:27pm
Anyone here have one ?

I have been thinking for a while about buying one.Very handy for streaming sports and also for watching TV shows and Films.

I downloaded xbmc and added mashup and istream to a tablet I have and its great so will take the plunge and get the android tv box.

anyone recommend me a good one or what sites to buy from ?

Replies:
Posted By: irishmale0399
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 9:53pm
I have a RaspberryPI here. Had it setup with xbmc and used it to stream films from a friends server using a vpn network. Worked grand but after a few weeks the novelty was gone. Use it now as a vpn server to access my router etc. from abroad. Sky Germany and Sky Ireland are enough for me TV wise.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 9:56pm
Jail broken Apple TV , dogs dangly's . XBMC is the business. Was watching the Inbetweeners 2 in the gaff while other were paying into the flicks eating overpriced popcorn

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:11pm
My only reservation with buying one ,is that after a few weeks all I will be using it for is a 3pm game on Saturday's.
I can get all the films and TV shows I need on torrents ,so what other uses could I get from this ?

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:39am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

My only reservation with buying one ,is that after a few weeks all I will be using it for is a 3pm game on Saturday's.
I can get all the films and TV shows I need on torrents ,so what other uses could I get from this ?

Plus wan. Can't aerial rreception in my apartment so if it doesn't have live TV not sure it's worth it. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:59am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Plus wan. Can't aerial rreception in my apartment so if it doesn't have live TV not sure it's worth it. 

It does have live TV but I already have all the sky channels so not sure what I would use it for bar 3pm ko's and games not on sky/setanta/BT.

Do you have an android phone or tablet ?

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:01am
Aye,  have an android phone 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by irishmale0399 irishmale0399 wrote:

I have a RaspberryPI here. Had it setup with xbmc and used it to stream films from a friends server using a vpn network. Worked grand but after a few weeks the novelty was gone. Use it now as a vpn server to access my router etc. from abroad. Sky Germany and Sky Ireland are enough for me TV wise.

I haven't a clue what you are talking aboutEmbarrassed   Kids and technology eh? Us old fogies got left behindCryLOL

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 11:07am
Jibberish to me too TJ

How do I jailbreak my Apple TV lads?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: irishmale0399
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by irishmale0399 irishmale0399 wrote:

I haven't a clue what you are talking aboutEmbarrassed   Kids and technology eh? Us old fogies got left behindCryLOL

Google.....RaspberryPI...promise it aint a box with red fruits in it.......then Google XBMC....that aint the new BMX bike for the kids and then finally the advantages of openvpn networks when doing things you aint supposed to when you are online.......Wink

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Jibberish to me too TJ

How do I jailbreak my Apple TV lads?
you need an Apple TV 2 or previous version. Google season pass or simply jailbreak Apple TV and down load season pass to the laptop. It's ham and cheesy to do. You will need a cable to connect the Apple TV to the laptop, think it takes the same connection as an Alcatel or Samsung phone

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:39pm
Riddle me this Shamster, it has zero impact on watching Netflix etc etc?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:41pm

Anyone with a android phone or tablet should check out this.sets up xbmc and is the easiest way I have seen.
http://koditime.com/" rel="nofollow - http://koditime.com/

It takes about 5 minutes to set up and will give you a huge library of TV/films and streams.

An android TV box is the same thing really.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:55pm

you'll just have to log in again is all when it's all done.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Thing is you wont need netflix afterwards as you will have access to every film/tv show you could want and its free.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:01pm
Sounds Fcuking amazing

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:01pm

Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Thing is you wont need netflix afterwards as you will have access to every film/tv show you could want and its free.
exactamundo

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:09pm

Sounds Fcuking amazing

click on that link I posted above and download the apk.That is basically the same as what you will get on the TV box.

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 10:03pm

Anyone with a android phone or tablet should check out this.sets up xbmc and is the easiest way I have seen.
http://koditime.com/" rel="nofollow - http://koditime.com/

It takes about 5 minutes to set up and will give you a huge library of TV/films and streams.

An android TV box is the same thing really.

I've downloaded that to my Nexus.what next, do I need any other hatrdwatre.

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 10:06pm
No xbmc detected it says. Is it not just an app like mobdro

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

No xbmc detected it says. Is it not just an app like mobdro

download XBMC if you dont have it  but it should give you that prompt.Much better than mobdro.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:07pm
Bump for IM

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:15pm

That site must be down because it just says error.

I just have Showbox and Mobdro on my phone and a £2 HDMI lead off of ebay. Hook my S4 up to my tv and away i go.

-------------
Tea???? FECK!!!!!

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I just have Showbox and Mobdro on my phone and a £2 HDMI lead off of ebay. Hook my S4 up to my tv and away i go.
They have changed the name/site recently but still the same set up.I have it on the phone and android box and its excellent.

http://aidymp.weebly.com/" rel="nofollow - http://aidymp.weebly.com/

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:31pm

Yea i tried that and it gave me 4 boxes up in XBMC. Would that interface be developed more for the phones or the set top boxes they make? The interface itself was laggy on my S4 and i didnt know where to start looking for streams. There was Mash Up and stuff but is it better than Shwobox/Mobdro? I couldnt find Sky Sports or TV Episodes

-------------
Tea???? FECK!!!!!

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:42pm

They have changed the name/site recently but still the same set up.I have it on the phone and android box and its excellent.

What's the android box you got Rossie? 

I assume I'll have to download xbmc for the PC and control it via that.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:01pm

Yea i tried that and it gave me 4 boxes up in XBMC. Would that interface be developed more for the phones or the set top boxes they make? The interface itself was laggy on my S4 and i didnt know where to start looking for streams. There was Mash Up and stuff but is it better than Shwobox/Mobdro? I couldnt find Sky Sports or TV Episodes

It works perfect on both my phone and box.I can post a screenshot at the moment but will later to show you my home screen.
my set up has all the sky channels and loads of foreign sports and tv stations.I think its much better than mobdro.
I think the others are similar to showbox but you can put showbox/popcorn time etc onto it anyway.I dont use mine for anything bar sports so havent looked at tv/movies too often on it but they seem perfect.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

What's the android box you got Rossie? 

I assume I'll have to download xbmc for the PC and control it via that.
I bought a Minix Neo X8-H.
XBMC will come preloaded on it and then you can add the different apps/programs that you want.You dont need a PC for this,it will be plugged into your router and TV and is all controlled via the remote.
some places also sell these boxes preloaded with all the different programs which is handy if you dont want the hassle of installation but its pretty straighforward . 

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 5:16pm
One of my buddies is looking to buy the android box that I have, but the guy that sold it to me for 80 notes has gone underground.

He's been looking at a '4Life' smartstick in Currys.
Anybody tried this? Any use?
Got mixed reviews on boards.ie, but reviews a little dated too.

Any other suggestions around the ton mark?

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 1:33am
You could get an M8 box for around €70 - €80 and it looks to be very good for that price.Plenty of sellers on amazon and the site gearbest have them for cheaper but they coming from China so might get caught to pay customs.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:39pm
Box arrived today. Xbmc uploaded to it already. Any other apps I should download? Also does anyone have any idea how to resize screen? Some of it is being cut off.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:42pm
Streaming is extremley slow. I'm using a wifi connection rather than an cable, however I never have that problem with netflix on the smart tv. Any ideas?

Posted By: Zico
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:55pm
Change the wifi channel to 1 or 15.
Are you using AC, G or N or what?

How far away is the box from the wireless router.
Whose your ISP?
What are your speeds here? http://www.broadbandspeedtest.ie/

-------------
I want to eat your ....

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 9:33pm
http://www.grabone.ie/search?q=android+box&r=dublin

Highlights

• €105 for a M8 Android 4.4 KitKat Smart TV Box and wireless remote.
  • Access to millions of apps on the Google play store including Netflix and YouTube with access to 100's of TV channels and movies.
  • Delivery charge of €5.50 applies per unit ordered.

Description

It's January and you most likely spent the last few weeks eating tins of Roses, boxes of Pringles and drinking a lot! So you're going to want to spend the next few months sitting in with the telly feeling good about yourself.

Access thousands upon thousands of movies and TV shows with this handy box.

Features:

• Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat
  • Thousands of movies, TV shows, live news, sports channels and more
  • Access to any app on the Google Play Store
  • Including Netflix, YouTube, Spotify and more.
  • Browse your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds
  • Memory: 2GB (with memory card slot for added storage)
  • Includes HDMI, 2 x USB 2.0 and SD card inputs
  • Stream content from your phone or tablet
  • All you need is an internet connection

In the box:

• Android TV box
  • HDMI cable
  • Remote control
  • User Manual
  • USB cable
  • Power adapter 
  • Wireless remote

eFindBest

Conditions

Limit: 4 for you and 2 gifts for others
Subject to availability. Provide full address when ordering. Delivery charge of €5.50 applies per unit ordered. Delivery within ROI only.
  Delivery Timeframe: 2 days

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Zico Zico wrote:

Change the wifi channel to 1 or 15.
Are you using AC, G or N or what?

How far away is the box from the wireless router.
Whose your ISP?
What are your speeds here? http://www.broadbandspeedtest.ie/

The box is next to the router. The provider is Sky. Wouldn't have a clue about anything else.
What does ac g and n mean?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 9:26am
AC, G or N are wireless bandwidth speeds.

All home broadband routers are set to auto and usually communicate on bands 5 to 10. You can set this at a different band that is not being used like 1 or 11. This will help avoid any interference.

Anyway, reading over your issue again I doubt it's an internal wireless issue. I'd check the android boards for similar issues.

-------------
I want to eat your ....

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:49pm
www.jarvisbox.com 

I'm buying from the above address €180 for the box (extra €10 for next day) delivery.  This isn't an android box claims to be better for live sport they offer a subscription for €50 a year which is free for two months when buying the box and also have live TV RTE/BBC/ITV etc. They have an fb page with very good reviews seem genuine based in Ashbourne. Hopefully mine will be here by Thursday I'll report back Smile

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

www.jarvisbox.com 

I'm buying from the above address €180 for the box (extra €10 for next day) delivery.  This isn't an android box claims to be better for live sport they offer a subscription for €50 a year which is free for two months when buying the box and also have live TV RTE/BBC/ITV etc. They have an fb page with very good reviews seem genuine based in Ashbourne. Hopefully mine will be here by Thursday I'll report back Smile

I dont know anything about that Armada box but they are way over priced for the other boxes they are selling.They are fleecing anyone who buys the M8 or MX box.
They seem to be letting on they are selling all these extra's but they are all easy to load onto the box yourself.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 7:40am

www.jarvisbox.com 

I dont know anything about that Armada box but they are way over priced for the other boxes they are selling.They are fleecing anyone who buys the M8 or MX box.
They seem to be letting on they are selling all these extra's but they are all easy to load onto the box yourself.
Yeah way over priced there. You can get M8 and MX for less than half that yourself elsewhere. Either way let us know anyway

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 11:22am
Did a broadband check there, with Sky and then on another website.

It's coming up as 15.4Mbps with Sky's version and between circa 10Mbps to 13Mbps with the other site.

The Sky package we're on says up to speeds of 24Mbps, so I'm wondering is there anyway of increasing the speed?

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

It's coming up as 15.4Mbps with Sky's version and between circa 10Mbps to 13Mbps with the other site.

The Sky package we're on says up to speeds of 24Mbps, so I'm wondering is there anyway of increasing the speed?

Thats plenty so there shouldn't be lag/freeze.
The box might need a firmware update and make sure you have the box powered through the wall socket and not through the TV/USB connection.

Nothing you can really do about the speed but connect the box using a ethernet cable should be better than wireless.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 12:45pm

Thats plenty so there shouldn't be lag/freeze.
The box might need a firmware update and make sure you have the box powered through the wall socket and not through the TV/USB connection.

Nothing you can really do about the speed but connect the box using a ethernet cable should be better than wireless.

Cheers

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 4:49pm
Anyone here ever use WiFi dongles instead of home plugs?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 5:10pm
There is an android box that can be got for around 20 quid .I used one yesterday and its excellent for the money.
I'm on the phone so can't post a link but will post it up later on.
If anyone is thinking of buying a android box this is definitely worth looking at ,for the price its no big deal if its not used too often.
Be ideal for a first android box or to be used in a bedroom.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 8:39pm
Rossieman what broadband provider do you have and at what speeds if you don't mind me asking? I've got Eircom and its pretty bad any of the websites I do test on give me 3.50 mbps, I should note I already have a dreambox for TV already and at times I develop lag.  Thinking about switching to UPC 240mb. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 8:45pm

Rossieman what broadband provider do you have and at what speeds if you don't mind me asking? I've got Eircom and its pretty bad any of the websites I do test on give me 3.50 mbps, I should note I already have a dreambox for TV already and at times I develop lag.  Thinking about switching to UPC 240mb. 

I'm on Vodafone get around 8mbs ,3.5 probably is a bit on the slow side for the android boxes.I was told a minimum of 6mbs is needed.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 9:08pm

I'm on Vodafone get around 8mbs ,3.5 probably is a bit on the slow side for the android boxes.I was told a minimum of 6mbs is needed.

I had Vodafone before and it was pretty bad for me, I'll defiantly be switching thanks SmileSmile

-------------

Posted By: ParkLife
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 9:41am

There is an android box that can be got for around 20 quid .I used one yesterday and its excellent for the money.
If anyone is thinking of buying a android box this is definitely worth looking at ,for the price its no big deal if its not used too often.

Where would I get one of these? I'm gonna do a test run on the android boxes, I'm very skeptical about them,  lag, sh*te quality etc so wouldn't mind checking one out for 20 quid.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 9:46am
Watched the last Hobbit on mine last night. Very good quality. Only problem was I left it load for circa 90 mins before I started to watch it to ensure it didn't lag.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 10:34pm

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_124593.html#vip=15465" rel="nofollow - http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_124593.html#vip=15465

That is the tv box I was talking about.They seem to have gotten more expensive since xmas but if you use the coupon code GBMK808B it works out around €24 .
The delivery is very slow(about 5 weeks) if you go for the free option but for an extra $0.99 Netherlands Post will have it delivered within 3 weeks.
Set these up using a usb stick ,straightforward to put XBMC/Mobdro/Showtime on them .
You can use a smartphone app as a remote control or a wireless mouse.That site also sells controllers for it for less than $10.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 1:24am
I'm very impressed with my ARMADA 8 definitely recommend it if you're not very techy, Rossieman you sound like you know you're stuff but I haven'a clue so this works well for me :)

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 8:26am

I'm very impressed with my ARMADA 8 definitely recommend it if you're not very techy, Rossieman you sound like you know you're stuff but I haven'a clue so this works well for me :)

Good stuff.
I didn't know anything about these a few months ago but after reading up on them and trial and error I built up a bit of knowledge. Not an awful lot to them .

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 3:54pm
Anyone else's xbmc not working? My app Kees crashing when I try to upload it.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 4:19pm

was working on my Apple TV earlier ok

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 4:46pm

Mines working.Watching United on it,they are so sh*te be probably better off if it wasn't working.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 5:19pm
How does one install the remote keyboard?

I've enabled it in the advanced settings and I've installed 3 apps in my android phone, but none will connect to the MK808B device - do I need to install the same app on the MK808B box?

I can't install anything yet bacause I can't tab down to install the application and most if not all remote apps require a purchase.

How does this actually function if you can only have a mouse OR keyboard connected?

-------------
I want to eat your ....

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 5:52pm
What App's have you tried ?

Yatse  and RKR remoteapp should work fine with it.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 6:13pm
Yatse didn't work as i didn't get to install it on the box and it was looking for a web server port etc..
RemoteIME worked though.

You really need a decent keyboard and mouse to have this working.

How does one stream football games?

-------------
I want to eat your ....

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Zico Zico wrote:

Yatse didn't work as i didn't get to install it on the box and it was looking for a web server port etc..
RemoteIME worked though.

You really need a decent keyboard and mouse to have this working.

How does one stream football games?

You can buy a remote for around €10 that will work fine.I will send a link to you later.
XBMC is loaded onto the box but needs to have the different addons put onto it.

I will send you on details about it later on .Its very straightforward and will have you sorted in ten minutes.

Do a speed test on your PC to see what speed your BB is.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 8:26pm
http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/" rel="nofollow - http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/
Just follow the steps and you're sorted.
But it on a USB stick and load it onto the box,it will only take about 5 minutes,when its downloaded you will have most of the addons loaded.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:52pm
Watched an episode of SOA today and the quality was perfect.

The missus watched something last night and said it was unwatchable.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Spudgunn1980
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:04pm
I've had a Raspberry pi and jail broken Apple TV. Bought a Minix X8-Plus on Monday and none of my previous come anywhere near it. If you've got decent broadband, 10mb +, i wouldn't bother with anything else. Watched the game last night in HD and stream buffered once in the 2nd half for about 20/30 seconds. If your thinking of buying, pay the extra €10/15 to have it come preloaded with XBMC and all the other various Android apps etc.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:14pm
I have the Minix X-8H and its brilliant.I only really use mine for 3pm kick off and the odd other games that aren't on sky/BT.I have watched  some tv box sets on it without fault as well

I would advise anyone thinking of buying an android box to maybe consider the MX808 I posted about a few days ago.It costs €25 delivered so isnt a big loss if you decide its not for you or don't like using it.I'm sure you could flog it for a few quid anyways,whereas the x-8H will cost around €100-€120.

@horsebox 

it can be a bit hit and miss with streams but there is usually loads of different options so its rare you wont get a good quality one to watch.Was it freeze/lag or was the actual stream bad quality ?

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Fair City?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Fair City?
Nope it was Debbie does Dallas Approve

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 5:41pm
Unusable now trying to watch SOA.

Pretty much everything on Genesis didn't work. Netflix worked fine though.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 10:58pm
I'm very Impressed with my box, the quality of live sport is outstanding if you have good broadband. Review of the box below Thumbs UpThumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bi_7Bucr2Q&feature=youtu.be

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:06pm
Anyone find a good stream/app for its always sunny in Philadelphia?

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:14pm

I have the Minix X-8H and its brilliant.I only really use mine for 3pm kick off and the odd other games that aren't on sky/BT.I have watched  some tv box sets on it without fault as well

I would advise anyone thinking of buying an android box to maybe consider the MX808 I posted about a few days ago.It costs €25 delivered so isnt a big loss if you decide its not for you or don't like using it.I'm sure you could flog it for a few quid anyways,whereas the x-8H will cost around €100-€120.

Clap
Took me a bit of getting used too to find the right streams but its brilliant now,really enjoy it.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 2:15pm

Just checked and I've a 30mb UPC connection and testing that speed I am getting 22mb plus.

Yet I can't stream anything. Looking at buffering issues says you can set your advancedsettings.xml file to cachemembuffer=0

However that is already done. Do others have streaming issues?

Any recommendations of what add on's to use for films and boxettes?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 2:52pm

Just checked and I've a 30mb UPC connection and testing that speed I am getting 22mb plus.

Yet I can't stream anything. Looking at buffering issues says you can set your advancedsettings.xml file to cachemembuffer=0

However that is already done. Do others have streaming issues?

Any recommendations of what add on's to use for films and boxettes?

22mb should be perfect for streaming.Showbox is a good app.

maybe update the firmware on your box .

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 3:29pm
Use Showbox for movies and shows. Mobdro for TV streaming.

XBMC always seems to give me freezing issues, but I have seen it working fine on other peoples set ups.
Hopefully will be better with the faster UPC speeds.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm
I'd have thought that UPC would provide the best circuit for streaming. UPC IMO provide the best internet service.

@ Rossieman - what is the latest version of firmware for the MK808B? and where do you source it from? I did look at this last night but any firmware links were to China and were old links too.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 3:42pm

I'd have thought that UPC would provide the best circuit for streaming. UPC IMO provide the best internet service.

@ Rossieman - what is the latest version of firmware for the MK808B? and where do you source it from? I did look at this last night but any firmware links were to China and were old links too.

I will send you on a link later on HB.there are a few different firmware you can use.
Download showbox and see how you get on with it,its usually perfect for films/TV.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 3:53pm
Can't find the XBMC video add on for showbox.

Just checked there and it's currently running v4.4.2 - 107k4 - 3.10.33

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 4:20pm

Can't find the XBMC video add on for showbox.

Just checked there and it's currently running v4.4.2 - 107k4 - 3.10.33

you can just download the apk file and put it on the box with a usb stick or use the web browser on the box and get the apk file that way.

did you do the speed test on your pc/laptop or on the android box?Try it on the box and see what speed s you are getting.

Do you have the box powered from the TV or from a wall socket ?

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:36am
WTV on cloudworld for anyone who has is it streams very impressive sky sports. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:24am
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Cccam-Cline-Iks-with-1-year-Subscription-Support-SD-Sky-Germany-Sky-UK-SKY-it-Freesat/324037_32246240128.html

Anyone know anything about this ??

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:47am

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Cccam-Cline-Iks-with-1-year-Subscription-Support-SD-Sky-Germany-Sky-UK-SKY-it-Freesat/324037_32246240128.html

Its codes for card sharing.we would be buying Sky UK unless you had a motorised/large dish to pick up other satellites.
It's what makes a dodgy box pick up the encrypted channels.You use this code on a linux/programmable box and your broadband to watch paid TV.

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:03am
So would I be better to get a dodgy box or one of these?
Can get all the 3pm kick offs live and stream sky on these?

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:15am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

If I had to make the choice I would go for a dodgy box.They usually come ready to plug and play and if you don't want a recordable box it can be done for around €70 + whatever the sub is (usually between €100 - €150 per year )

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 3:56pm

Its codes for card sharing.we would be buying Sky UK unless you had a motorised/large dish to pick up other satellites.
It's what makes a dodgy box pick up the encrypted channels.You use this code on a linux/programmable box and your broadband to watch paid TV.

Alrighty I already have a dreambox anyway. 

-------------

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:21pm

If I had to make the choice I would go for a dodgy box.They usually come ready to plug and play and if you don't want a recordable box it can be done for around €70 + whatever the sub is (usually between €100 - €150 per year )

I don't have a satellite dish though.
Does the android box not give the same quality sky sports or are you just streaming off the internet?

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:36pm

I don't have a satellite dish though.
Does the android box not give the same quality sky sports or are you just streaming off the internet?

android box can be good quality but not guaranteed and cant be compared to the quality you get with sky/freesat.
If you are allowed to put up a dish where you live I would go with a dodgy box.
I use my android box for watching sports that arent on live here and some films but its no comparison to having all the regular channels.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 6:17pm
A mate of mine is using chromecast to display Netfix on is TV.

He wants to know how can he display an iPAD app called filmon from his iPAD to his TV?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:55am
Film on has chromecast compatibility built in on android and ios apps

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:40am
I saw that on the android version but not too sure if it works on the apple version.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 2:32pm
Is it possible to put a tv show from the minix x8 onto a usb stick and if so how do you do it?

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

Is it possible to put a tv show from the minix x8 onto a usb stick and if so how do you do it?

No I wouldnt think so,you would need some downloading/conversion software like utorrent (I think)

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:46pm
Ok thanks

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 12:30am
@Rossieman Would you say this Wifi dongle would work on a dreambox like skyboxf3 which has a USB port??

https://store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-devices/pay-as-you-go/huawei-e3272-stick

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:22am
What Android box would you recommend to somebody not tech savy? i.e. the father in law.

He is looking to get an Androx box, pre loaded to get rid of his sky subscription etc..

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:25am
Was going to ask the same question as horsebox, something easy to setup and use.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:12am
I wouldn't go with an android box unless you are willing to update/load repo's.Its straightforward to do but someone that isn't tech savy just wont be bothered and in a few months they will have plenty of problems.

If they just want a box for TV channels get a dodgy box instead.If you just want a box that doesn't pause,rewind ,record its very cheap to do.If you already have broadband and a dish you can get a box and sub for around €150.You will have a full sky sub + BT package and some channels will be HD.

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 11:16am
Just seeing your post now Rossie, he has the broadband and an old sky dish, any sites you could reccommend for picking up ome of those box and sub things.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 12:37am
Do many of yous have a box like this looking at getting 1 to put in the bedroom. Have installed xbmc/kodi on my galaxy s5 so familiar with how to install/update the apps. Would yous recommend just going with a preloaded box saved all the hassle

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 12:42am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Do many of yous have a box like this looking at getting 1 to put in the bedroom. Have installed xbmc/kodi on my galaxy s5 so familiar with how to install/update the apps. Would yous recommend just going with a preloaded box saved all the hassle

I set one up yesterday for a friend,takes 5 minutes.Just put Kodi on a USB stick and load onto the box/stick.

It was a cheap stick from China takes about a month to deliver but is only €20  and pick up a remote for another tenner.
Excellent set up for the price and a very easy to use interface.AS long as you have decent speeds on broadband/wifi these will work perfect without spending much.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 12:47am

I set one up yesterday for a friend,takes 5 minutes.Just put Kodi on a USB stick and load onto the box/stick.

It was a cheap stick from China takes about a month to deliver but is only €20  and pick up a remote for another tenner.
Excellent set up for the price and a very easy to use interface.AS long as you have decent speeds on broadband/wifi these will work perfect without spending much.

Yeah the wifi was the only worry I had so thought would test it out on the phone 1st. Kodi working fine on it using the wifi at home doesn't buffet or anything so might just go ahead and buy a cheap box from china instead of forking out the €100 odd euro people are charging for the boxes preloaded.

Any add on's you recommend for them rossie

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 1:16am

Yeah the wifi was the only worry I had so thought would test it out on the phone 1st. Kodi working fine on it using the wifi at home doesn't buffet or anything so might just go ahead and buy a cheap box from china instead of forking out the €100 odd euro people are charging for the boxes preloaded.

Any add on's you recommend for them rossie

I can send you on the link to the set up I used that should have most things you need on it but add Sports Devil as well.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808B-Plus-Amlogic-M805-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Mini-TV-Dongle-1G-8G-WIFI-H-265-HW-Decode-Bluetooth-DLNA-Miracast---Black-337068.html" rel="nofollow - Android box
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-TSM-01-Air-Mouse---Keyboard-for-TV-Box---PC---Motion-Sensing-Games-317283.html" rel="nofollow - remote
They are the links to the box and remote.The exchange rate has pushed the price right up since xmas.The box was less than €20 before xmas but keep a look out for discount codes or you might get it cheaper from Aliexpress.
Also if you cannot pick up a good and strong wifi signal you can buy a Ethernet cable/adopter for that box for €2-3  euro.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:06pm
Can you use that amiko alien across two tvs on wifi?

Also, when the box comes with enigma, is it plug and play or wil I have to download the apps?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net