Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=49319
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 10:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: LOI Premier - Your Predictions
Posted By: Xpro
Subject: LOI Premier - Your Predictions
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:20am
We`re just past half way (or half time) and it`s shaping up to be a great 2nd half to the league. Dundalk are on 40 pts, Cork are on 39 with a game in hand, Pats are on 36, while Rovers also have a game in hand on 34 pts. Talk about a tight race to the finish in October, as I cant see any of these 4 dropping off!

Sligo are on 25 pts with a game in hand. Win that and they`re 12 pts behind Dundalk with 48 pts still up for grabs. If Sligo get all their injured players back, they could go on a winning run and take pts off all the Top 4. In fact they could even win the league if they got the right momentum going, though they`ve some serious catching up to do.

Of the rest, (and as a Hoops fan), it`s nice to see Bohs find their level among fellow relegation strugglers Big smile 

Replies:
Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:30am
Incredible season for City already and I'm too afraid to predict anything but with a couple of the rumoured signing I would expect us to be even better on paper in the second half. That said some players are making themselves undroppable Mark O' Sullivan for example has completely shocked everyone. Head says well come 3rd but hopefully we continue on our good form and can have two massive back to back games against Dundalk an St. Pats at the start of August in a sold out Cross. Great times, long may they last.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:31am
Also hope Athlone catch UCD, I've covered some of there games this season and while a great nursery most will be happy to see them go down.

-------------

Posted By: gazelle.
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 9:29am
I think it will finish like this at the top

Dundalk
Pats
Cork City
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by gazelle. gazelle. wrote:

I think it will finish like this at the top

Dundalk
Pats
Cork City
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo
same as.   Hopefully it will go down to the last day with it all to play for

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 11:16am
Still think pats will win it, but they will have to up their game! Pats look likely to be out of Europe 1st time of asking so a run for Dundalk may help us! I also think it will develop into a 2 horse race soon enough!

It's exciting at the minute though

Posted By: KingswoodRover
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 2:08pm
Would not rule Rovers out of it if they can beat Pats and Dundalk in the coming days it is game on.......saying this more in hope rather than with conviction......maybe Trevor's computer might get a nasty virus...now there is an idea.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 2:15pm
I think Athlone will stay up.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I think Athlone will stay up.

Athlone Longford playoff would be fairly tasty

-------------

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 3:02pm
Hopefully Rovers can kick on a bit. It'd be great to have 2 of the bigger clubs( City and Rovers) involved in the Title Race. It would only be a good thing for the league.

Posted By: EastStandMan
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 5:12pm
Next two weeks for Rovers are huge . No one expects us and I have my doubts too but if we can take the  points from our next two games that could start a run . Hoopers take notice of fixture changes btw . 

-------------
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 5:28pm
Still think pats will win it in the end. We haven't really got going yet and have plenty in the tank. That said I think we need to start the run now. A win over rovers and bohs will put is right in the mix.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Richmond Ultra
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Incredible season for City already and I'm too afraid to predict anything but with a couple of the rumoured signing I would expect us to be even better on paper in the second half. That said some players are making themselves undroppable Mark O' Sullivan for example has completely shocked everyone. Head says well come 3rd but hopefully we continue on our good form and can have two massive back to back games against Dundalk an St. Pats at the start of August in a sold out Cross. Great times, long may they last.

I know the Dundalk game will be huge but there's not a chance it will be a sell out. It's on the August weekend, people are away on holidays. If we got 4,000 that would be a good crowd.

-------------
Omnia Causa Fiunt

Posted By: starryplough
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by KingswoodRover KingswoodRover wrote:

Would not rule Rovers out of it if they can beat Pats and Dundalk in the coming days it is game on.......saying this more in hope rather than with conviction......maybe Trevor's computer might get a nasty virus...now there is an idea.

Bar a Croly lookalike taking over for the next two matches we will not get near to six points

-------------
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 1:20am
Not sure I agree with "saintjoey" that the league will develop into a 2-horse race. Maybe one of the Top 4 will drop off the pace after a losing streak but I can see the title race going right down to the proverbial wire. Let`s hope it does to keep up our interest...

Cork are certainly the surprise package this season as everyone expected them to consolidate a mid-table position, after only being promoted last season. Caulfield is proving to be a great motivator and between Buckley, O`Sullivan and the Dennehys, along with the experience of Murray in defence, City will put it up to any team - especially at Turners.

SK has "unfinished business" at Oriel, after his disastrous stint at Tallaght. Pats have the players, no question, but havent yet shown that consistent hunger to regain the title. Rovers have the players as well but I worry about their firepower and where the goals will come from when they`re up against a Top 4 side. Mc Cabe and Finn are silky players but dont relax in front of goal. Where`s the Twigg in the team, who can chill out in front of goal and put away chances? 

Posted By: gazelle.
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 12:09pm
Cork were promoted in 2011 Xpro, not last year.

Posted By: skinnymalinx
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 1:03pm
dundalk will run away with the league, with Rovers & pats fighting it out for 2nd/3rd.

drogs are already dead and gone it would seem.

-------------
beware the ides of march

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 4:27pm
not as confident as the other pats fans that we will win it. if we lose to rovers next week, they go ahead of us with a game in hand. we have no margin for error at this stage. i think we accomodated fahey too much in the first part of the season.

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 2:12am
Apologies to the poster "Gazelle". Cork were promoted further back than l remembered. They were largely anonymous on their 1st season back under Tommy Dunne and it`s only since Caulfield took over that City are suddenly contenders.

Dundalk are well organised and confident and SK has done a brilliant job at Oriel. Other teams will raise their game to beat them, just as Derry almost did at the Brandywell on Friday. Pats have enough talent to be at the finishing line in October, but whether they have the hunger to defend their title is anyone`s guess.

As for the Hoops, a home draw against Limerick and a home defeat against Cork doesnt exactly inspire belief. I was at the Belfield Bowl last Friday and while it ended as a routine win against the students, I was more concerned about the chances missed. We need a predator up front or we may as well kiss goodbye to a title challenge...

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 9:45am
transfer time starts today i think, come on Trevor get us a "fox in the box"........."computer says no"

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 10:22am
1. Dundalk
2. Pats
3. Cork
4. Sligo
5. Rovers

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:33pm
Next few weeks with European action and juggling with domestic games will tell us a lot. Shame because without Croly I'd fancy us to have a real crack at this league as its a strange one, Dundalk are bottlers, Pats haven't hit top form by their own admission and Cork are the inexperienced darkhorses picking up the wins but whether they can keep this up remains to be seen

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:43pm
Croly is a good coach by all accounts, i would love to see him develop as a manager and hope fully he does. At the home game v Cork the biggest cheer from us was when we put in 2 strong challenges  and won the ball, as a team we just dont seem hungry enough, enough of the time. Attack attack attack.

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Next few weeks with European action and juggling with domestic games will tell us a lot. Shame because without Croly I'd fancy us to have a real crack at this league as its a strange one, Dundalk are bottlers, Pats haven't hit top form by their own admission and Cork are the inexperienced darkhorses picking up the wins but whether they can keep this up remains to be seen

Confused

Murray, Healy , Dennehey, Kearney , O Flynn, Hoggy , Davoren, have all won League Titles. 

Caulfield has won plenty of honours as a player and a manager. He knows what it takes to win. 

We havent been beaten at home in nearly 14 months. 

We may fall short of the title but to call us inexperienced darkhorses is wrong imo. 

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:45pm
Cork are well in this race lads 13 goals against and the crowd well up for it.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Confused

Murray, Healy , Dennehey, Kearney , O Flynn, Hoggy , Davoren, have all won League Titles. 

Caulfield has won plenty of honours as a player and a manager. He knows what it takes to win. 

We havent been beaten at home in nearly 14 months. 

We may fall short of the title but to call us inexperienced darkhorses is wrong imo. 

I predicted a strong showing from Cork on here at the start of the season, so I'm not that surprised. You remind me of Rovers in 2009, a couple more signings aided with the lack of a European distraction and you could really push it to the wire

-------------

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 2:48pm
John O'Flynn signed back today!

Looks like we will be going gung ho 4-2-4 Louis Van Gaal style for the rest of the season Thumbs Up

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:28am
Great win for the Hoops tonight in the southside derby. It was tight and Pats are by no means out of the title race. Havent checked their next fixture but wouldnt like to be facing the Saints as they`ll be hurting from tonight`s defeat :)

Just as any of the last 4 in the WC could win it, the same could be said for the Top 4 in the LOI. Dundalk and Pats may get distracted by their involvement in Europe if they make progression, while Cork and Rovers can afford to concentrate on domestic games. So far so good, with only 4 points seperating the Top 4 teams after 18 games.  

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 1:46am
Ok I`ll put my neck on the line here and will accept the sl*gging if I get it completely wrong come October:
1) Rovers
2) Cork
3) Pats
4) Dundalk
5) Sligo

No European distraction for Rovers and Cork. Every side will be up to take points off Pats as title holders and Dundalk will hit a wobbly period where even their plastic pitch wont come to their rescue. Sligo will recover under John Coleman and start snapping at the Top 4 to gain back some credibility, so the Showgrounds will once again become a tough venue to visit.

This is all Crystal Ball stuff and after tonight`s Brazil 1 - Germany 7, who among us has a clue how games will pan out... 

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 8:45am
Hope this comes to pass, cant see it myself Rovers simply do not have the firepower at the moment.

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Ok I`ll put my neck on the line here and will accept the sl*gging if I get it completely wrong come October:
1) Rovers
2) Cork
3) Pats
4) Dundalk
5) Sligo

No European distraction for Rovers and Cork. Every side will be up to take points off Pats as title holders and Dundalk will hit a wobbly period where even their plastic pitch wont come to their rescue. Sligo will recover under John Coleman and start snapping at the Top 4 to gain back some credibility, so the Showgrounds will once again become a tough venue to visit.

This is all Crystal Ball stuff and after tonight`s Brazil 1 - Germany 7, who among us has a clue how games will pan out... 

Dundalk 4th? That's sticking your neck on the line!

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 1:41pm

1) Rovers
2) Cork
3) Pats
4) Dundalk
5) Sligo

It would be great to have Irelands two biggest clubs fighting it out for the title!

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:06pm
Dundalk
Pats
Shamrock
Cork

Be good to see the 2 best footballing sides going head to head for the title !!

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: EastStandMan
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 8:29pm
Twill be close and any of the above four can go on a run and be champions . We should have beaten Dundalk up there with ten men ffs and just took 3 points off Pats . Hard to call this season --so far. Langers look strong . 

-------------
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .

Posted By: Yellow Belly
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:02am
Wexford Youths to push hard for promotion.LOL

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:14am

1) Rovers
2) Cork
3) Pats
4) Dundalk
5) Sligo

More crystal swing than ball I'd say LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 1:10am
After yesterday`s result against Dundalk I`m inclined to agree with you, Starryplough!

Two words sprung to mind as I watched the Hoops go through a limp and lifeless performance: tense and tentative. There was no creativity in midfield and with players like Finn, Brennan, Robinson and Mc Cabe across the middle of the park, wtf is going on here?

Kieran Marty Waters was a revelation with Bray for creating chances. But he never even came off the bench in yesterday`s game. That`s 3 defeats out of the last 4 games against Dundalk and the Hoops (imo)took to the park yesterday with a completely wrong attitude. They were completely wound up and tense - hence the 9 frees in the opening 10 mins.

Rovers have the players, no question, but like England at the WC, they`re more a collective of individual talent than a cohesive team. Caulfield and SK have cracked the importance of the team side of things.

But there are still 14 games or 42 points up for grabs. I`d love to see a mini-league table based on those games that have already taken place between the Top 4. Any stats heads out there who`ve already compiled such a mini-league? I`d say Dundalk would be on top   

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:02am
We have 8 points from six games against the top sides

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:32am
11 from 5 games against the top 6

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 10:48am
The table as it stands now won't be far off how it will finish. The only thing I can see stopping Dudnalk winning the league is if (A) Towell gets injured/sold to Ipswich,etc or (B) they progress a few rounds in Europe and that extra travel/games takes it's toll. 
I don't think Cork have been given the respect they are due & have strengthened their squad as the season has gone on. A second place finish & I could see them reaching one of the Cup finals, no problemo. A Rovers v Cork FAI Cup final Thumbs Up
Athlone to escape relegation sending UCD down on a nerve jangling last day.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 1:50am
While travelling down to Bray tonight I was trying to make sense of Rovers hot & cold season so far. The players are there, there`s great competition for places, but the final product - a winning mentality - doesnt seem apparent across the whole team.

I`ve the utmost respect for TC as I think he`s an excellent training ground coach. From what I`ve heard, he`s also overseeing the youth and underage development at the club and this is all vital work for the Hoops future progression.

We won tonight - in the 2nd half - and I certainly wont complain. But the 1st half answered more questions about the team`s indifferent form. Bray were energetic and well in the game, and could easily have snitched a goal or two before the scoreless halftime.

Two words sprung to mind yet again during that 1st half: tense and tentative. As the great Brian Clough once said: "I try to send them out relaxed, as nervous footballers cant truly express themselves and are prone to making mistakes". I wish TC would bear this in mind as his players leave the changing room...   

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 12:28pm
Nutsy Fenlon

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 12:13am
If the Hoops are to progress as a club then the benchmark is success in Europe. Michael O`Neill achieved this by getting Rovers to the group stages of the Europa Cup and at the same time, raising the profile of the domestic league.

Fenlon knows the LOI inside out and would prob even win the title with the current Rovers squad. But his track record in Europe is absolutely dire and just a few examples show this: one of his league-winning teams lost to a team from Malta in the early rounds of the CL; his Bohs team got thrashed by The New Saints - a part-time outfit from Wales - in another CL campaign; and his Hibs team lost 9-0 on aggregate to Malmo in the Europa Cup - an embarrassing Scottish record.

So while Nutsy might get a better response from the Rovers players than TC on the field of play, he`d be found out yet again on the bigger stage of Europe.

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:57am
Roddy had a decent record in Europe........

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

Roddy had a decent record in Europe........

Theres still time for a Lazarus like return to save the newco tonight..

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:08am
I`d have Roddy back tomorrow, he`d be licking his lips with excitement at the prospect of working with this current squad of players. I`m sorry but TC is not management material - he`s a training ground coach and an excellent one at that - and I only wish the Rovers board could distinguish between the two roles.

Last season it was draw after draw. This season it`s win, draw, win, lose...etc. There`s no consistency there and no settled starting eleven. At Bray it was a 4-4-2, with Kieran Marty Waters starting the game and a 3-0 win should`ve been a platform to build from in order to get some kind of winning momentum going.

Tonight it was a 4-2-3-1 and the starting line-up was changed. Why fix it when it aint broke, as that tired old cliche goes? I appreciate that TC is juggling with a competitive squad and trying to keep everyone happy. But given Rovers` resources as opposed to Drogheda`s, that result tonight is embarrassing.

Roddy as manager, Trevor as coach? What`s Roddy`s record in Europe? I vaguely remember he got some huge result for Bohs against a Bundesliga side away - was it 1-0 against Kaiserlautern?   

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

aaaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaha

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 1:20am
Rovers have all the pieces of the jigsaw in place except the manager - that elusive inspirational figure who`ll organise the team into a winning unit, like SK at Dundalk.

But there`s now no scapegoat like a Louis Kilcoyne to point a finger at. Instead it`s the fans who make up the board and for the past few seasons they`ve been making a complete dog`s dinner of their management appointments.

Fans of the club outside this gilded inner circle are feeling short-changed, as we feel that complete muppets are making the key decisions in the running of the club. Talk about too many chefs in the kitchen?! The fans voiced their frustration on Fri night against Drogheda, but whether this gilded inner circle will take their views on board is doubtful, to say the least... [

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:51pm
You say that Rovers have all the pieces of the jigsaw i agree but as Eric Morecombe argued when playing a piano concerto badly "i am playing all the right notes but not neccesarily in the right order"
A managerr who can motivate/inspire a team to do the jigsaw now that would be something.

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:11pm

I`d have Roddy back tomorrow, he`d be licking his lips with excitement at the prospect of working with this current squad of players. I`m sorry but TC is not management material - he`s a training ground coach and an excellent one at that - and I only wish the Rovers board could distinguish between the two roles.

Last season it was draw after draw. This season it`s win, draw, win, lose...etc. There`s no consistency there and no settled starting eleven. At Bray it was a 4-4-2, with Kieran Marty Waters starting the game and a 3-0 win should`ve been a platform to build from in order to get some kind of winning momentum going.

Tonight it was a 4-2-3-1 and the starting line-up was changed. Why fix it when it aint broke, as that tired old cliche goes? I appreciate that TC is juggling with a competitive squad and trying to keep everyone happy. But given Rovers` resources as opposed to Drogheda`s, that result tonight is embarrassing.

Roddy as manager, Trevor as coach? What`s Roddy`s record in Europe? I vaguely remember he got some huge result for Bohs against a Bundesliga side away - was it 1-0 against Kaiserlautern?   

Is this RODDY COLLINS we are talking about??? Are you outta your loop-the-loop???!!!

Some of the criticism of him was OTT and he has some decent achievements in football that shouldn't be belittled. But he is total loose cannon with a questionable record. Such an appointment wouldn't even start well, never mind end well. Total Non-runner.
If we are gonna pick from the LOI internal circus, then Fenlon or Kerr are the only options and I doubt the latter would want the job. He seems happy enough with the media work.

Hold onto Trevor as a coach if he is not too proud to refuse or another LOI head as assistant. But for a manager we should be looking further afield. Héctor Cúper?? LOL

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 6:47pm
if i could only choose between Roddy and Trevor as manager i would let the grounds man pick the team.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 9:58am

I have to stop you there, your argument loses all credence when you start off with that...things are bad but sweet Jaysus

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:53am
Starryplough, I was completely exasperated with the Rover`s management when I mentioned that: "I`d have Roddy back tomorrow". I like the guy as a person but he`s certainly not what the club needs right now to move forward. I was shooting from the hip out of complete frustration with TC and as I mentioned in a previous post, I`d have liked Rovers to have been a little more imaginative and adventurous and to have appointed a manager from outside the LOI.

As for the topic of this thread, I kept expecting Dundalk to have a wobbly and to suddenly panic in the run-in. They lost Friday night to Pats and by all accounts, they didnt deserve anything from the game. But then they blew Derry away 5-0 in their next game on Monday night and you`re left thinking: these guys have the mental strength to win the league   

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 7:49am
They beat Derry reserves five nil in fairness. I assume this game was brought forward for league cup final? It fell well for them after Friday

-------------

Posted By: dudnalkfc10
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

They beat Derry reserves five nil in fairness. I assume this game was brought forward for league cup final? It fell well for them after Friday

Stephen Kenny was in the local papers last week giving out about the Derry game being arranged other night. He wanted it later in the season! The FAI refused the request!

Worked out well for us, but in fairness the way we played Monday night we would have beat anyone at home by at least 2

-------------
Dundalk FC Irelands Number 1

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 12:58pm

1) Rovers
2) Cork
3) Pats
4) Dundalk
5) Sligo

JAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSUSLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 1:14am
Ok "scottyccfc", I got it wrong, but at least I attempted a Top 5 prediction. Where was yours? Or do you prefer to sit on the fence till the season is over before making one? Tongue

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:04am

Ok "scottyccfc", I got it wrong, but at least I attempted a Top 5 prediction. Where was yours? Or do you prefer to sit on the fence till the season is over before making one? Tongue

Ooohhhhhh Good comeback! LOL

So much for accepting the sl*gging

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 12:09am
No problem with the sl*gging seeing as you lot, like Rovers, will be also-rans Big smile

You`ve Limerick and Dundalk away, Sligo and Bohs at home. Dundalk have UCD, Athlone and Bray to look forward to. Looks like the Republic of Cork will have to dream on...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net