Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Athlone Town
Posted By: 9fingers
Subject: Athlone Town
Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:23pm
ATHLONE TOWN STADIUM SITUATION 'COMPLETELY UNTENABLE' - MAJORITY SHAREHOLDER
21st May 2014
The majority shareholder of Athlone Town stadium says as things stand the gates won't be able to remain open past September 20th - the date of renewal for insurance.

In a letter to this week's Westmeath Independent, Declan Molloy says the club have so far paid no rent on the facility this year.

Mr Molloy invested over 500 thousand Euro to clear debts on the stadium in November 2011, he claims the current situation is 'completely untenable'.

Replies:
Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:38pm
Sounds like they are in big trouble.

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 22 May 2014 at 10:34am
If Athlone go to the wall might aswell scrap first division seriously, if they keep it up its a farce

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: nice triangles
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
Apparently Declan Molloy wrote a letter into the Athlone Topic last week further highlighting his frustrations with the club. Continuing non payment of rent was mentioned and possibility of locking gates to stadium. Does anyone have a copy of the letter, and could they share here if possible?

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 1:35pm
Matthews and 5 players quit with apparently the entire senior squad likely to follow suit.

Their chairman didn't bother showing up to the meeting with the FAI investigator.

Serious question marks over whether they'll be able to restart after the break.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 10:52pm
What is wrong with Athlone? This once proud football town failed to full fill a fixture before the break and I see 140 FANS turned up for last weeks game. Yet 2 of the best Junior in the Country are from the Town so football is alive and well on the banks of the Shannon. It's such a shame I'm from a neighbouring town and used to love going to St Mels to see the Town with Larkin, Clarke, Nicholson, Quinn and the O Connors playing. I know it is a long time ago but it's part of your history. Will we ever here the Athlone fans again sing Did ye ever, Did ye ever, play Milan.   

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:17pm
The Athlone supporters trust have told the FAI they`ll be applying for a FD license.
The board still don't want to step down so there could potentially be 2 clubs from Athlone applying for a FD license.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

The Athlone supporters trust have told the FAI they`ll be applying for a FD license.
The board still don't want to step down so there could potentially be 2 clubs from Athlone applying for a FD license.

Clearly just a game of who blinks first, I mean realistically where are the ST team going to play and where are they going to raise the entry fee and the cost of keeping a team running. Also wouldn't they have to run their own underage teams also? Not even the remotest chance of this happening

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 6:20pm
There are ways around every issue you raise there.
It happened before in Limerick and there were 2 clubs operating out of Galway not to long ago.
Nothing would surprise me in this league.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:45pm
Any truth to the rumours of match fixing I am reading about elsewhere? It all seems a bit flimsy but it seems a couple of their newly arrived foreign lads have history in this regard.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:32pm
Still odds on PP for Friday's game anyways. Supposedly three of the new players and the coach were involved with a corrupt team in Portugal. Funny things going on down there can only see it ending in a seven team first division.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:02pm
I think the hardcore Athlone fans would only be delighted if the current Athlone went to the wall. Its been hijacked by head bangers a long time ago and they`ve long since stopped attending games. There is a fans group there willing to take over the club but they`ve been blocked by the current administration.
The current "investors" were involved in a club in Lithuania called "Dainava" that finished with a -131 goal difference in a 10 team league!

Coupled with the fact there was zero questions asked by the FAI, Fran Gavin came out and said he`s no idea what their plans are, betting starts to become the only thing that makes sense.
From what I`ve heard LOI betting is quite big business in eastern Europe and Asia.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm
Saw them vs Ramblers a couple of weeks ago and something was definitely a bit out of the ordinary with the whole occasion. Giving away ridiculous penalties, the keeper allowing himself to be tackled by an outfielder when acres of space, etc...

Fill yer boots on Cabinteely in the meantime!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Saw them vs Ramblers a couple of weeks ago and something was definitely a bit out of the ordinary with the whole occasion. Giving away ridiculous penalties, the keeper allowing himself to be tackled by an outfielder when acres of space, etc...

Fill yer boots on Cabinteely in the meantime!
Cost me my acca, it was 3-1 with a few minutes to go!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:28pm
Screwed me aswell....had a good lump on them -1...joke

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:10pm
More talk of dodgy goals and Asian betting markets in relation to the game at Longford.

-------------

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Amazing nothing is being done yet

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:04pm
http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-on-athlone-town-afc " rel="nofollow - http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-on-athlone-town-afc  ;

Soon to be a 7 team first division. Joke shop in Athlone! 

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:05pm
And there we have it :

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-on-athlone-town-afc" rel="nofollow - http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-on-athlone-town-afc

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:15pm
So even after Gavin made the presentation on match fixing it still allegedly happend

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:22pm
I'll bet Fran won't be claiming the credit for creating the atmosphere for this to happen !

Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I'll bet Fran won't be claiming the credit for creating the atmosphere for this to happen !
He will find some ridiculous way to spin it as a positive for d'association.

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:39pm
At least there's a bit of interest in Athlone again!

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 7:59pm
the fai's very own waylon smithers strikes again. didn't gavin say at the start of the season we will be keeping a close eye on the new owners of athlone town to make sure they do things in a correct manner. four different first team coaches, a bus load of dodgy foreign signings and local lads asking to be released from their contracts. yeah its going well so far.  

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:30pm
Did anyone see the second goal from the other day? LOL

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Did anyone see the second goal from the other day? LOL

He may as well have stopped it, done a few keepy-uppys and volleyed it home. It still couldn't have looked more suspicious. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:02pm
If this is the end of Athlone town surely it's near the end of the first division also. Reading Fran Gavin's comments on Athlone when the new owners took over now is brilliant

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:27am
What they need to to to these rougue traders is treat them the same way as Tom Coughlan at Cork City, A lenghty ban from all football activity, try and get uefa to come down heavy on them too.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:33am
A lengthy ban for the administrators who allowed this to happen to a club with 130 years of history would be preferable.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:27am
The same administrators who 2 months ago were telling everyone how they have met the new investors that they were ambitious. Shame they never asked them what they're ambitions were. 

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

The same administrators who 2 months ago were telling everyone how they have met the new investors that they were ambitious. Shame they never asked them what they're ambitions were. 

"I have met Athlone's new investors and they are quite ambitious," said Gavin.

"We've never experienced that type of investment in a club where they're bringing players in from all over Europe.

"You would wonder what is their motivation. That's something we've to look at very carefully."

-Fran Gavin

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:30pm
Well now you know Fran.

Who would santion any takeover or investment in a LOI club?

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:37pm
FAI Integrity Officer LOLLOLLOL

You couldn't make that sh*t up.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

A lengthy ban for the administrators who allowed this to happen to a club with 130 years of history would be preferable.
In one. There is a reason they picked Athlone.

-------------

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:09pm
Very sad to see a club in such a mess. Good football people in athlone but something is wrong there in a long while. No name on the stadium failed to ful fill a fixture last season. Yet the club's underage teams are doing well in the ddsl and fai cups.

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:27pm
The clubs statement said they were "Shocked" - I think ye were the only one's lads Wacko

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:30pm
The betting farce is only a sideshow of what the FAI have allowed go on in Athlone for the last 2 years and anyone from Athlone will tell you that. The Investors have never been named so who exactly did Fran Gavin meet ??

I went to games in Athlone before Galway Rovers Joined the league and it was a proud club with a great history so I feel for all the genuine Football People in Athlone who kept the show on the road and of course the fans who have been ignored by the powers that be for the last 2 years.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:42pm
How the fk can owners be allowed to stay anonymous?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36203418" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36203418

Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:21pm
Are we lumping on Cobh tomorrow night boys???

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:04pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/athlone-game-attracted-bets-in-the-region-of-400-000-1.3071865?mode=amp" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/athlone-game-attracted-bets-in-the-region-of-400-000-1.3071865?mode=amp

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Mr Stupid
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

The betting farce is only a sideshow of what the FAI have allowed go on in Athlone for the last 2 years and anyone from Athlone will tell you that. The Investors have never been named so who exactly did Fran Gavin meet ??

I went to games in Athlone before Galway Rovers Joined the league and it was a proud club with a great history so I feel for all the genuine Football People in Athlone who kept the show on the road and of course the fans who have been ignored by the powers that be for the last 2 years.
This 100%

-------------
Stupid like a fox

Posted By: adineen98
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:49pm
Just read on the Athlone Town FC Fans Facebook page that rumours are going around that the club could be expelled from the league

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

Just read on the Athlone Town FC Fans Facebook page that rumours are going around that the club could be expelled from the league

That's the equivalent of JD sending the problem child off to the bold boys home and not returning

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

That's the equivalent of JD sending the problem child off to the bold boys home and not returning

No doubt:

'Didn't we give them ethics training? Nothing to do with us.'

Who awards licences? Easy money accepted to avoid noise. Shame.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:55am
Tbh its the best thing that could happen Athlone now is to be expelled and award a new licence to a supporters trust for next season.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:42am
Getting away from the FAI bashing...

Is the general idea here....
1. Italians buy a club that nobody cares much about for a bit of money.
2. Sign a bunch of foreign players that seem to be open to a bit of corruption.
3. Some big bets on matches that are fixed returns the investment to the Italians.

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:56am
It would seem so, also rumours they could be Russian

Amazed all the bookies are taking bets on their match tonight.

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Are we lumping on Cobh tomorrow night boys???
All the bets seem to have been related to the 'overs' market. In saying that, I think Cobh's form and the state of things at Athlone means 3/5 is a pretty decent bet.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:24pm
Things going from bad to worse for Athlone

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/954490/athlone-town-want-roddy-collins-to-return-for-a-second-spell-as-manager-of-the-club/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/954490/athlone-town-want-roddy-collins-to-return-for-a-second-spell-as-manager-of-the-club/

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:33pm

Things going from bad to worse for Athlone

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/954490/athlone-town-want-roddy-collins-to-return-for-a-second-spell-as-manager-of-the-club/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/954490/athlone-town-want-roddy-collins-to-return-for-a-second-spell-as-manager-of-the-club/
Wherever there is a crisis in Irish football there is a Roddy.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:14pm
Two more Athlone matches being investigated unsurprisingly

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No doubt one of them the game they played away to Cobh.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:53pm
Embarrassing defeat for Ramblers. Can't even beat a team wanting to lose.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:54pm

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:00pm
Backed over 1.5 goals. Clap

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Hardly a great price on that with all due respect......

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Hardly a great price on that with all due respect......
Wasn't a single. Thumbs Up

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:32pm
The headline here is how a club got a licence without knowing who owns it. That's the real tough question.

GardaI are involved so any phone or email traffic is now in the mix.

Does anybody know what the price was to buy them?

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

The headline here is how a club got a licence without knowing who owns it. That's the real tough question.

5/2

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:35pm

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 1:47am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Love to know but someone sold the heart cheap to unknowns.

Posted By: Richmond Ultra
Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:14am

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No doubt one of them the game they played away to Cobh.

I would say more likely to be UCD and Shelbourne. A few tactical changes were a bit bizarre whereas against Cobh they were just crap.

-------------
Omnia Causa Fiunt

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:59am
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-4480776/Chinese-fixing-syndicate-real-new-threat-football.html%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-4480776/Chinese-fixing-syndicate-real-new-threat-football.html

The FAI are to blame here as much as anyone else. How do they let this happen and seeminlhy throw a blind eye to it until UEFA come calling

Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-4480776/Chinese-fixing-syndicate-real-new-threat-football.html%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-4480776/Chinese-fixing-syndicate-real-new-threat-football.html

The FAI are to blame here as much as anyone else. How do they let this happen and seeminlhy throw a blind eye to it until UEFA come calling

Shock f**king horror. FAI sitting on their

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:51am
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/eamonn-sweeney-league-of-ireland-fans-insulted-and-betrayed-by-athlone-debacle-35687742.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/eamonn-sweeney-league-of-ireland-fans-insulted-and-betrayed-by-athlone-debacle-35687742.html

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:18am
Athlone statement here. 

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/07/4139616-fresh-statement-by-athlone-town-fc-on-allegations/" rel="nofollow - http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/07/4139616-fresh-statement-by-athlone-town-fc-on-allegations/

Hard to know if the FAI related bit is an implied threat, it wouldn't be causing great happiness in HQ anyway. 

Athlone Town has called for a further investigations to be launched into what it said were 'match-fixing allegations' surrounding the club.

It said it wanted An Garda Siochana, Europol, interpol and UEFA to open parallel investigations to the one being conducted by the FAI.

In an open letter posted on its facebook page tonight, the club also reiterated that it would work side by side with the FAI to ensure the full truth emerges.

It repeated that it was "disgusted and angry that games in which the club played might have been unduly influenced, or that match-fixing has occurred".

And it said the FAI had ratified its arrangement with its investor.

"... the FAI has received all documents pertaining to the investor agreement. That arrangement was discussed at a number of meetings with, and ratified by, the FAI."

The full text of the open letter is:

Open Letter from the Board and Management Committee of Athlone Town AFC re Match Fixing Allegations.

To all our supporters, friends within the football family, and the people of Athlone, the board of Athlone Town AFC would like to take this opportunity to address as best it can the controversy currently surrounding the club.

First of all the board wishes to restate in the strongest possible terms that we are disgusted and angry that games in which the club played might have been unduly influenced, or that match-fixing has occurred.

Indeed given the extensive media coverage and potential ramifications for our club, the League, and football’s governing bodies, the Athlone Town AFC wants relevant police forces to investigate these serious allegations.

We want An Garda Síochána, Europol, Interpol and UEFA itself to immediately open parallel investigations to the one being currently conducted by the Football Association of Ireland.

It is our strong opinion that no stone should be left unturned in relation to these very damaging claims.

The club fully accepts and believes in the principle of ‘innocent until proven guilty’.

However, Athlone Town AFC will not be found wanting in regards to the sanctions it will impose if anyone associated with the club is found to have engaged in match fixing.

If any of the allegations are upheld it is not just the club and its supporters, but also the FAI and football itself that will have been duped.

We have already stated publically, and can only repeat, that everyone involved in the club who has been asked to participate will cooperate with the FAI during the course of its investigation.

The club will work side by side with the FAI to ensure that the full truth and all the surrounding facts concerning these allegations of match fixing, which is a blight on the game, emerge.

It has always been our intention to work with the FAI in relation to our affairs.

Indeed the FAI has received all documents pertaining to the investor agreement. That arrangement was discussed at a number of meetings with, and ratified by, the FAI.

Finally, it has been a difficult week for everyone at the club.

The many decent and hard working individuals involved at various levels with the club have been left in a state of shock and are appalled that something like this may have happened to a proud club like Athlone Town AFC.

In particular it has been hard for those from the locality who have given their time and services to Athlone Town AFC for nothing other than a love of the game.

The board will continue to work on behalf of the club and do its utmost to ensure that the club gets through this dark chapter in our history.

Signed The Board and Management Committee of Athlone Town AFC.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:56pm
You know how this is going to play out. If the allegations are found to be true then there will be heavy punishment of Athlone Town by the FAI. And the FAI will say they did everything correctly, and the supporters of Athlone will be the ones to suffer, and the FAI will move on because they are answerable to no one.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/eamonn-sweeney-league-of-ireland-fans-insulted-and-betrayed-by-athlone-debacle-35687742.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/eamonn-sweeney-league-of-ireland-fans-insulted-and-betrayed-by-athlone-debacle-35687742.html

That's a great piece alright, don't always agree with his opinions but that piece is really good.

Fair few long-odds co-incidences involving those players all suddenly arriving in Athlone of all places and an anonymous investor.

Jaysus fooking wept Gavin, you fell asleep at the poxy wheel.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:03pm
What grounds would the FAI have had to block these Chinese investors buying a small stake in the club? All well and good with hindsight. 

And if the FAI had of blocked it, then what would the headlines have been? 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

That's a great piece alright, don't always agree with his opinions but that piece is really good.

Fair few long-odds co-incidences involving those players all suddenly arriving in Athlone of all places and an anonymous investor.

Whether you agree with him or not, I often don't, he is far and away the best sports writer in Ireland. Although, to be fair, the competition isn't exactly amazing.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

What grounds would the FAI have had to block these Chinese investors buying a small stake in the club? All well and good with hindsight. 

The fact that they wanted to remain anonymous would have been enough. The headlines would have been along the lines of:
 'FAI Blocks Anonymous Owners From Portugal, Who Have Suddenly Developed a Massive Interest in the Irish First Division, Particularly in the Basket Case Club of Athlone, Having Previously Been Told to f**k Right Off by Cobh and Shels. It is Believed That the Lisbon Branch of the Athlone Town Supporters Club is "Devastated" By the News.

Something along those lines.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:57pm
I'd love to see the goals they're talking about.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:18pm

The fact that they wanted to remain anonymous would have been enough. The headlines would have been along the lines of:
 'FAI Blocks Anonymous Owners From Portugal, Who Have Suddenly Developed a Massive Interest in the Irish First Division, Particularly in the Basket Case Club of Athlone, Having Previously Been Told to f**k Right Off by Cobh and Shels. It is Believed That the Lisbon Branch of the Athlone Town Supporters Club is "Devastated" By the News.

I don't know anything about the investors - was the above openly known about them?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:25pm

I don't know anything about the investors - was the above openly known about them?
It may actually have been Bohs, the point remains. You would have to ask yourself the reason why an anonymous Portuguese front for Chinese and Italian businessmen fancied wiping out Athlone's debt, why other clubs chased them away and that the one that didn't has been a basket case for a few years. I know my default position is one of cynicism, but surely alarm bells must have been ringing.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 5:05pm
Gavin even said it weeks (months?) ago, we are concerned at why they're investing and will monitor events.  Great job Fran.

The unlikely co-incidences in Sweeney's first couple of sentences, Christ almighty, alarm bells is an understatement.

Wonder will Gavin be on Soccer Republic later?  Should give Joanne Cantwell that gig, she wouldn't shirk the questions that wouldn't remotely occur to Collins.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 5:09pm

Gavin even said it weeks (months?) ago, we are concerned at why they're investing and will monitor events.  Great job Fran.

The unlikely co-incidences in Sweeney's first couple of sentences, Christ almighty, alarm bells is an understatement.

Wonder will Gavin be on Soccer Republic later?  Should give Joanne Cantwell that gig, she wouldn't shirk the questions that wouldn't remotely occur to Collins.

Hope Kerr is on with him. Kerr gave him a hard time previously IIRC

-------------

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 5:24pm
I can't see him ever appearing on Soccer Republic again after he was shown up the last time. The Kaiser wouldn't have been happy. 

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:19pm
Be interested to hear the reason why the other clubs told them to f--k off when they were approached. As FW said it would be great to see the goals in question, no reason why they cant be seen.
If you're bring in a company like Trackchamp then you need to be all over it, no chance.

Posted By: Mr Stupid
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:23pm
Good Article by Sweeney except omitting a mention of Turlough O'Connor and having sympathy for the Board.

Probably a better article by Declan Lynch in the Sindo. 

His father wrote a book on the History of the Club. 

Although I am not sure how he can believe the club when it said it was 'absolutely shocked' when he also says the dogs on the street knew.

-------------
Stupid like a fox

Posted By: Richmond Ultra
Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Be interested to hear the reason why the other clubs told them to f--k off when they were approached. As FW said it would be great to see the goals in question, no reason why they cant be seen.
If you're bring in a company like Trackchamp then you need to be all over it, no chance.

Trackchamp have been in League of Ireland football since 2014. I know this because I work for them. Them, running ball and performa sports provide statistics on all matches in LOI.
Organisations use different providers depending on their needs. Trackchamp would provide all the LSL and MSL in play betting.

-------------
Omnia Causa Fiunt

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Richmond Ultra Richmond Ultra wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Trackchamp have been in League of Ireland football since 2014. I know this because I work for them. Them, running ball and performa sports provide statistics on all matches in LOI.
Organisations use different providers depending on their needs. Trackchamp would provide all the LSL and MSL in play betting.
I think most of us know that without working for them!

Most of those goals are fairly easy to track down on line lads, look at the Athlone Town fans social media pages etc.

-------------

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:28am
Good discussion on OTB last night about it all, worth a listen

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:57am
The tweets from fans saying these goals are a farce in other games. Are those games been investigated? 

-------------

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:21pm

Whether you agree with him or not, I often don't, he is far and away the best sports writer in Ireland. Although, to be fair, the competition isn't exactly amazing.

Well, the former holder of that title was Tom Humphries!

Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Well, the former holder of that title was Tom Humphries!

He was very good alright, whatever about anything else. I think Sweeney is better though, 'There is Only One Red Army' is as good a book as you will read about being a football fan.

-------------

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:03pm
" One red army " - a cracking read which as well as football featured prodigious drinking feats !

Date Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:18pm
Roddy Collins appointed as manager and will be announced tomorrow according to social media.

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Roddy Collins appointed as manager and will be announced tomorrow according to social media.
Appealing state of affairs when Big Rod (who knew) will steady the ship and bring sanity to the party.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:01am
http://www.atimes.com/article/athlone-town-soccer-scandal-shows-no-game-small-rig//" rel="nofollow - http://www.atimes.com/article/athlone-town-soccer-scandal-shows-no-game-small-rig//

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:05am
Here's a bit about the alleged owners/investors in Athlone. It doesn't make for pretty reading. 

http://www.atimes.com/article/athlone-town-soccer-scandal-shows-no-game-small-rig//" rel="nofollow - http://www.atimes.com/article/athlone-town-soccer-scandal-shows-no-game-small-rig//

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Here's a bit about the alleged owners/investors in Athlone. It doesn't make for pretty reading. 

A very interesting article although it's credibility was in danger early on when it described Athlone as a "historic, pretty and bustling riverside town sitting at the geographic center of Ireland."  It recovered well though

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:18pm
Athlone Town have revealed their stadium, the aptly-named Athlone Town Stadium, was burgled over the weekend.

In a club statement released on their official Facebook page, the First Division club explained that a small sum of cash was taken during the robbery, and that "files were ransacked and scattered around."

The club have also confirmed that club officials are currently scouring these ransacked and scattered files in an attempt to determine if any might have been stolen during the incident.

They have also asked anybody who witnessed the crime to report it to the local gardaí.

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 2:44pm
http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2017/07/08/fai-release-statement-athlone-town/" rel="nofollow - http://leagueofireland.ie/index.php/2017/07/08/fai-release-statement-athlone-town/

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 5:58pm
http://www.the42.ie/athlone-town-statement-2-3496664-Jul2017/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the42.ie/athlone-town-statement-2-3496664-Jul2017/

Very strong statement here from the Athlone board slamming the recent investigations

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 3:04pm
Best place to watch the Georgia match in Athlone?

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:22am
Igors Labuts and Dragos Sfrijan have been banned from all football activities for 12 months for betting and match fixing

-------------
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:31pm
Is there some reason why the manager initially installed at the start of the season has not been implicated in all this??

Some of his 'tactical decisions' surely played a major part in aiding the match fixing.

In the games I saw it was Srijan being moved from cm to cb was the cue for the flood gates to open and that happened A LOT!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:43pm
9 matches played in the First Division, 1 draw, 8 losses, 6 goals scored, 39 conceded. Last night was the second time this season they've conceded 7 in one match. According to the Athlone Town FC Fans Facebook page, their last league win was on the 5th May, 2017. Since then, they've drawn 5 and lost 21, with a goal difference of -71. Last year, they had an average attendance of 182, the lowest of all 20 league clubs. Mad to think they were in the Premier Division in 2014, what a difference 4 years makes.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:13pm
Lad in work who played for them a while back said he'd heard 24 went to one game this year, not sure how true that is 

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Lad in work who played for them a while back said he'd heard 24 went to one game this year, not sure how true that is 

One post on the Facebook page mentioned above suggested there was 27 in attendance for the Finn Harps home match (might be the match the fella you know was on about), while another fella said he was the only one who travelled to Tolka Park when they lost 7-0. Sad state of affairs for the players and fans really. It seems as if the people currently in charge of the club are running it into the ground.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net