Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=48931
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 12:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Patrick O'Connell
Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Subject: Patrick O'Connell
Date Posted: 07 May 2014 at 10:31pm

The name of PATRICK O'CONNELL is well known throughout Irish, British and Spanish football, but more people need to know of his contribution to the history of the sport. Born in Drumcondra, north of Dublin, O'Connell had a very varied and distinguished football career as player and manager for many clubs including BELFAST CELTIC, MANCHESTER UNITED (Captain 1915- ), REAL BETIS (Winning the club's one and only La Liga title in 1935) and, perhaps most famously, FC BARCELONA during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. What makes the story so more fascinating and tragic is that O'Connell died, homeless and destitute, many years later in London, and is buried their in an unmarked grave to this day...... This MEMORIAL FUND PAGE represents the campaign that relatives and supporters are now running to give the name of O'Connell the respect it deserves...By raising funds to improve the grave site in London and provide it with a new headstone, AND to commission the building of a STATUE in his memory, in either Ireland or the UK.
Above is a picture taken by football writer and campaigner Anthony Higgins of Mr. O'Connell's unmarked grave in London.

All I ask is you like our facebook page below and spread the word and watch out for donations from legends of the game as well as upcoming events on the page.
Also we are working with filmmakers Julian Phelan and Jeff Healey who are planning on making a film about Mr. O'Connell's life and if commissioned they will donate the entire production fee to this cause.
Mike O'Connell Grandson of Patrick and his wife Sue are also behind the campaign.

It's a long road,it's a good cause....thanks for your time.

https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial - please like and spread the word.

Replies:
Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 11:50am
Not being a smart arse but have any of the clubs been contacted about contributing towards this? And where in London is the grave?

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:01pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHcPZ7KRtc

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:58pm
Your point is valid and to date the FAI and Belfast Celtic(now defunct) have made donations, and we would personally love it if a former club stumped up the cash but alas not so far but we shall persevere.
Nowadays owners and football clubs are more interested in the brand e.g. Tan at Cardiff, Hull City etc

I can't access youtube but I'm thinking you've stuck up the TNAG documentary - to note the people who produced this are also supportive and involved in this campaign.

If not I apologise.

We are hoping to get a very large Irish flag commissioned as part of the campaign - it would read:

'Paddy Don Patricio O'Connell'
Fear Eireannach
Imreoir do na Ceiltigh Beal Feiriste
Leader of Real Betis
Saviour of Barcelona
Facebook page - please support'

I'm just wondering if there would be anybody on here who is travelling to Georgia and Germany would be willing to take the flag with them and obviously return it safely.Wink

We are heading to Glasgow and obviously be at Gibraltar. 

PM me if you can help - thanks again.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:34pm
Has anyone contacted Barca and Betis ?

Surely the Qatari Foundation !!!!

Why not start a petition/fundraiser ourselves.

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:44pm
I dont mean to sound disrespectful or anything, but why are the family not taking care of this?

By this, I mean the grave

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:49pm
Interesting viewing on this in terms of his family...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwN2i8baWHE
he left them behind...

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

I dont mean to sound disrespectful or anything, but why are the family not taking care of this?

By this, I mean the grave

He died destitute so Im assumed they were estranged.

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Has anyone contacted Barca and Betis ?

Surely the Qatari Foundation !!!!

Why not start a petition/fundraiser ourselves.

Yep we are awaiting replies from Barca and Betis and the Qatar foundation....fingers crossed!!

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 7:57pm
Just to keep you all updated Cruyff,Keane,O'Neill,Marchisio,Pirlo,Balotelli have all signed shirts in the last few weeks...pics on page below please 'like' if you get a chance - more legends in the coming weeks...
https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 10:45pm
The Northern Ireland team told us about this campaign as he played for both teams. I'm sure if you get the right contacts in Spain the clubs will stump up the money.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:06am
Just invited all facebook ybiggers from my page to like it. Might help bump up the numbers before you go hit up the Spaniards.

Best of luck Clap

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Not being a smart arse but have any of the clubs been contacted about contributing towards this? And where in London is the grave?
somewhere in kilburn...

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 9:54pm
Cheers McG.

Interesting post about Mark Lawrenson and Sir Tom Finney on O'Connell Facebook page detailed above,worth a read.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Just to keep you all updated Cruyff,Keane,O'Neill,Marchisio,Pirlo,Balotelli have all signed shirts in the last few weeks...pics on page below please 'like' if you get a chance - more legends in the coming weeks...
https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial

Hows ths going GG?

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:22pm
Going well The Irish Post in the UK have covered the cause in this weeks edition(out today I believe in the UK and in Easons here tomorrow or Friday) and advertised our meeting.

Oliver Kahn signed a Bayern Munich GK shirt in Germany last week, winging its way to Ireland as I type.

The page is updated with news on a daily basis..thanks to all who have supported to date.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:39pm

Going well The Irish Post in the UK have covered the cause in this weeks edition(out today I believe in the UK and in Easons here tomorrow or Friday) and advertised our meeting.

Oliver Kahn signed a Bayern Munich GK shirt in Germany last week, winging its way to Ireland as I type.

The page is updated with news on a daily basis..thanks to all who have supported to date.

is the Facebook page still going tried to get on it there but got an error message. Best of luck with it all

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:42pm
I will be picking up a copy of the Irish Post later and will look out for it.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:56pm
Excellent article on 'Don Patricio' on the back page of todays Irish Post.

" Patrick is revered at the Nou Camp ( without this guy there would be no Barcelona as he is credited with saving them from General Franco) where there is a bust of him there.  He was manager of Real Betis when they won their first and only La Liga."

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 1:23am
Some of the legends who have supported us to date are on here.

'Football is not about brands but history...'

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 11:28pm
Article by Sevilles newspaper ABC de Sevilla about the cause and a journalist from Inside Spanish football from Spain has also done a piece.
Details on Facebook page.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 7:12pm
Some of our team are at The Britannia Stadium tonight and have successfully handed over a England WC 1966 shirt to Jon Sidaway of Stoke City FC for Gordon Banks to sign gor the POC Memorial Fund prior to tonights friendly between Real Betis v Stoke City.

The shirt will be signed by Mr. Banks in the coming weeks and presented to some of our team before the Stoke City v Aston Villa match on Sat. the 16th of August.

Our team then heads to the NE tomorrow night for Sunderland v Real Betis.

Further details on the Facebook page.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 6:34am

Some of our team are at The Britannia Stadium tonight and have successfully handed over a England WC 1966 shirt to Jon Sidaway of Stoke City FC for Gordon Banks to sign gor the POC Memorial Fund prior to tonights friendly between Real Betis v Stoke City.

The shirt will be signed by Mr. Banks in the coming weeks and presented to some of our team before the Stoke City v Aston Villa match on Sat. the 16th of August.

Our team then heads to the NE tomorrow night for Sunderland v Real Betis.

Further details on the Facebook page.

Hope you have a good night at Bishop Auckland tonight bud.

-------------

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 3:39pm
Great cause this, well done all involved Clap

Don't use facebook, is there any other way to get in touch to throw a few yoyos to this??

Probably been put up before, but TG4 had a documentary on this some time ago. I wonder has the LOI angle been looked at for fundraising, he played with one of the founding clubs of the League.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Great cause this, well done all involved Clap

Don't use facebook, is there any other way to get in touch to throw a few yoyos to this??

Probably been put up before, but TG4 had a documentary on this some time ago. I wonder has the LOI angle been looked at for fundraising, he played with one of the founding clubs of the League.

ClapClapClap 

In similar boat re facebook are cheques being accepted for this worthy cause?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
We are officially launching at The Belfast Celtic museum on the 30th of this month.
Our fund will also launch an official donation page.

DM on a personal note thanks for your help re tickests.
Great night last night double shirt presentation pitch side which has been covered by Real Betis official website, the people at Sunderland AFC were extremely welcoming and supportive.

More on Facebook page....

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 12:39am

We are officially launching at The Belfast Celtic museum on the 30th of this month.
Our fund will also launch an official donation page.

DM on a personal note thanks for your help re tickets.
Great night last night double shirt presentation pitch side which has been covered by Real Betis official website, the people at Sunderland AFC were extremely welcoming and supportive.

More on Facebook page....

Sounds like you had a good night any photos?

Pleased to hear you got a good response from the SAFC fans and officals. No problem re tickets anytime. Good luck with the campaign.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 10:32pm
http://www.realbetisbalompie.es/es/noticias/actualidad/2929/el-real-betis-participa-en-la-patrick-oconnell-fund

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 12:58pm

http://blythspartansafc.co.uk/new_php/?p=11298" rel="nofollow - Spartans supporters continue Betis links

Posted on August 12th, 2014 by Mark

There are many strange sights in pre-season friendlies but for supporters of Stoke City and Sunderland seeing Spartans supporters following Real Betis must rank at the top of any list. However as Spartans supporter Simon Needham explains the links with the Spanish club are becoming more and more prominent.
betis.bmp
Spanish club Real Betis Balompie were in Northumberland last week and fans of Blyth Spartans were on hand to give them a welcome to the region.

The Liga Adelante team, recently relegated from Spain’s top flight, embarked on a three game pre-season tour of England and Scotland after setting up camp here in the North East at Slaley Hall’s prestigious hotel and training facilities outside Hexham.

The side from Seville, Andalucía, started their campaign with an impressive 3-0 victory over Scottish oufit Motherwell on 2nd August. However they found the going more difficult against Premiership opposition, with a 2-0 defeat against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium last Wednesday and a similar scoreline against Sunderland at Heritage Park, Bishop Auckland the following day, before flying back to Spain last Friday.

The tour gave the many Betis fans living here in the UK the chance to see their team, and that included supporters of our own “Blyth Spartans - Real Betis Peña Betica.”

The group was formed three years ago by Blyth fans keen on Spanish football and looking to build links and friendships with the Spanish team and is based on our joint tradition of the famous green and white striped kit. When the tour was announced we made sure that we had a presence at two of the games and this happened at Stoke and against Sunderland.

As Peña Secretary I made the long journey down to Stoke last Wednesday, carrying the group´s banner, along with an assortment of Real Betis and Blyth Spartans flags which were proudly displayed in the Britannia Stadium.

Then it was back up to Newcastle to meet up with other Blyth fans and a number of Spanish Real Betis fans living and working here in the region, to travel in a small fleet of cars to Heritage Park in Bishop Auckland to see the Sunderland game.

Despite the 2-0 defeat, The group had a very enjoyable evening, with the highlight coming through the Peña’s link to the “Patrick O´Connell Memorial Campaign” and the presentation before the match of a Real Betis shirt, signed by members of the squad, and an Ireland shirt signed by Sunderland hero Charlie Hurley, to raise funds for the cause. The group received the handover of the shirts on the pitch before the game from Real Betis legend and former President, Rafael Gordillo.

As for the season ahead, the feeling amongst Betis fans is that their team is in transition, with some quality players from last season staying at the club (for example strikers Ruben Castro and Jorge Molina, plus goalkeeper Adan) and many talented youngsters now making the step up into the side. This is happening under the guidance of a new, highly rated young manager Julio Velazquez.

As for the Blyth Peña, the match at Bishop Auckland was a great chance to publicise the link up between the two clubs in the region, with a number of Blyth Spartans and Real Betis flags decorating the stadium which provoked a slightly bemused, but generally interested and supportive response from the Sunderland fans.

And the group also spent time getting to know the Betis fans from the region, and plan to build links and friendships further with the Spanish community by inviting them to a game at Blyth in the near future.

With Blyth Spartans signing forward Sammy Perez in the past week there is definitely a Spanish flavour to life at Croft Park!
betis-2.bmp

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:54pm
Our Fund Member Simon Needham being presented with our Irish legends shirt by Maurice Hepworth SAFC which was signed the day before by Charles Hurley and a signed Real Betis shirt by the current squad presented by Rafael Godillio Betis legend prior to Thursday nights game.

The Irish shirt is signed by:
Given,Irwin,Staunton,McGrath,Hurley,Giles,Brady,Roy Keane,Ray Houghton,Frank Stapleton and will be completed by Robbie Keane prior to the Gibraltar home game in October.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:57pm
ClapCoolClap

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 5:02pm
Would there be a christian on here who would be travelling to Georgia and willing to take a flag for this project to Georgia.
We have a flag commissioned.

I'm based in the sunny south east but am in Dublin a couple of days of the week.

All help very much appreciated.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 6:44pm
From the fb page you seem to building quite a shirt collection signed by serious legends. But tell me this, how much needs to be raised in order to repair the grave and that? Ball park figure.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:43pm
10k to have the grave cleaned,stonework, headstone and maintenance etc.
John McKenna sculptor has quoted 35k sterling for a sculptured monument Mr McKenna sculpted the Jock Stein and Jimmy Johnston statues at Celtic Park.

Are you going to Georgia?

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 10:17am

10k to have the grave cleaned,stonework, headstone and maintenance etc.
John McKenna sculptor has quoted 35k sterling for a sculptured monument Mr McKenna sculpted the Jock Stein and Jimmy Johnston statues at Celtic Park.

Are you going to Georgia?

Whats your timescale to raise the money bud?

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 12:55pm

Would there be a christian on here who would be travelling to Georgia and willing to take a flag for this project to Georgia.
We have a flag commissioned.

I'm based in the sunny south east but am in Dublin a couple of days of the week.

All help very much appreciated.

Go into the Georgia Away thread, you'll get someone in there no problems

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 1:51pm
Cheers BH.

DM the plan is to have the grave all done by next year as it's Mr. O'Connell's Centenary anniversary as Man Utd captain 1915 and the 80th anniversary of him leading Betis to La Liga 1935.
Here's hoping....

Major feature in today's 'The Irish News' newspaper on page 2 and 3.

All roads lead to Belfast Saturday week....

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:42am
Shame theres no online link from the Irish News piece.

Good look with the timescale GG.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 9:21am
Best I can do DM.Wink

Glenda Jackson MP for Kilburn North London and her office have endorsed the project so we may make The House of Commons yet.LOL

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 10:17am

Best I can do DM.Wink

Glenda Jackson MP for Kilburn North London and her office have endorsed the project so we may make The House of Commons yet.LOL

Good piece. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 12:44pm
Now arrived in Twitterland can find us @PatricioFund

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 3:45pm
Spanish football magazine Inside Spanish Football have done an article on the fund.
See link attached for story.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/121900/supporting-patrick-oconnells-memory/" rel="nofollow - http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/121900/supporting-patrick-oconnells-memory/

Dan McDonnell did a small piece in todays Indo.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 1:04pm
Sue O'Connell GrandDaughter in law to Patrick O'Connell will be on Liveline today(Joe Duffy Show) for those near a wireless; show kicks off at 1:45.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 4:21pm
Launched on Saturday in Belfast.

TG4 cameras came along apparently on the TnaG news tonight @ 7pm....

TG4 Súil éileClap

Posted By: Amby Fogarty
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:55am

TG4 Súil éileClap

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 8:59am

TG4 Súil éileClap

Great work & exposure of such a worthy cause. Comhghairdeas Clap

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 5:01pm
http://www.pocfund.com/

Website launched above - account opening this week and donation page to be added.
See website for upcoming fundraising events.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 5:02pm
Go raibh maith agat.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:59am

http://www.pocfund.com/

Website launched above - account opening this week and donation page to be added.
See website for upcoming fundraising events.

ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 8:52pm
Thanks to Catman on here and Póg mo Goal magazine for doing a piece on the fund.

http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/reviving-the-legacy-of-don-patricio-oconnell/19943/

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 4:48pm
http://backpagefootball.com/patrick-oconnell-forgotten-saviour/84017/" rel="nofollow - http://backpagefootball.com/patrick-oconnell-forgotten-saviour/84017/

Thanks to Matthew Coyle from BackpageFootball.com for the attached article.

Gordon Taylor and the PFA in England have agreed to support this project.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 5:28pm
Good to hear.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:45pm
http://www.pocfund.com/donate.html

Donation page up and running with paypal facility/account details available etc.

All donations very much welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 12:51pm
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/30/forgotten-story-patrick-oconnell-saved-barcelona

From today's Guardian newspaper Paul Doyle has written a superb article.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 1:28pm
Fascinating read. Enjoyed that and great to see the campaign grow legs Thumbs Up

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Declanus
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 2:18pm
Thats a really good article in the Guardian. Well doneThumbs Up

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:11pm
Quality piece. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:01am
Irish Times run with the story today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/patrick-o-connell-the-irish-saviour-of-barcelona-1.1947007

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:17am

Irish Times run with the story today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/patrick-o-connell-the-irish-saviour-of-barcelona-1.1947007

ClapCoolClap

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:21am
Fair play to you Gashley the campaign has really done well. You should get enough for a really decent memorial and it's also brought O'Connell back into the limelight. Many more people know about him now than did 12 months ago.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 9:28pm
John Delaney in todays Irish Post " Its a fascinating story about a guy who played for Man U and then went onto Spain and went on to win the league as manager.
If the FAI can help in any way then we'd be very keen to do so no question about that."

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 8:34am
This Saturday@ the  https://www.facebook.com/BelfastCelticSociety" rel="nofollow - Belfast Celtic Society  museum the POCMF will launch a fundraising event entitled 'Un Paseo Por Don Patricio' to commemorate Patrick O'Connell leading Ireland to the British Home Championship a century ago 1914-2014 @ Windsor Park - the event will be staged on Nov 17th-18th and will see two CarrickFergus,Co. Antrim marathon runners Gary Connolly and Gillian Grant from Seapark AC walk/run from Windsor Park via Belfast Celtic Museum to Lansdowne Rd - given we are trying to shine a light on a life the two runners will take a battery operated candle with them to signify this.The event has been backed by FAI President John Delaney and IFA president Jim Shaw.Jim Shaw will be in attendance at the launch in Belfast on Saturday. All donations welcome - http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pocfund.com%2Fdonate.html&h=AAQHffo7O&s=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.pocfund.com/donate.html

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 12:53pm
Thanks to Real Madrid and Welsh Winger Gareth Bale who donated his signed RM shirt the latest supporter of the Patrick O'Connell Memorial Fund - www.pocfund.com 

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 12:54pm
ClapCoolClap

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:38pm
Bump.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 10:35am
Thanks to Mike Walters Daily Mirror UK for today's piece on the Mirror's website about Patrick and the fund - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/barcelona-saviour-patrick-oconnell-one-4417256

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 12:44pm

From Today's UK Mirror 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 12:46pm
Great stuff bud.

ClapCoolClap

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:43am
Top article in the paper copy of todays Irish Post with Patricks grandson Mike O'Connell.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Top article in the paper copy of todays Irish Post with Patricks grandson Mike O'Connell.

Cheers DM.

Robert Mulherne and his paper have been very supportive.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 6:51am

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Cheers DM.

Robert Mulherne and his paper have been very supportive.

Robert is a quality journo. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:31am

< id=search-2 method=get =http://www.irishpost.co.uk/>< id=s value="Search site" name=s> < id=search- =>
http://www.irishpost.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - Home   >   http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport" rel="nofollow - Sport   >   The story behind the forgotten Irishman who managed Barcelona and captained United

The story behind the forgotten Irishman who managed Barcelona and captained United

By http://www.irishpost.co.uk/author/robert-mulhern" rel="nofollow - Robert Mulhern on October 23, 2014
  • //www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?guid=x4JqmQzF_0Nn-1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishpost.co.uk%2Fsport%2Firishman-managed-barcelona-legacy-failed-follow&media=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishpost.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F10%2Fpatrick-oconnell-f.jpg&description=The%20story%20behind%20the%20forgotten%20Irishman%20who%20managed%20Barcelona%20and%20captained%20United%20-%20The%20Irish%20Post" rel="nofollow - -
patrick oconnell-n

Former Manchester United captain and Barcelona manager Patrick O’Connell

WHO would have ever noticed the old picture? There were only a couple of people in the bar of the social club in Ashington. It was a dreary afternoon only eight years ago. Glum.

It was probably like this every day. Mike O’Connell reckoned the picture always went unnoticed.

There was nothing remarkable about the still; nothing to suggest the framed face of his grandfather, the man with the strong features, had done anything, been anyone. Or that years later, a recognition campaign would find support with names like David Beckham, Roy Keane, Gareth Bale, Franz Beckenbauer, Johan Cruyff, Bobby Charlton et al.

This was Ashington in the North of England, a place the Charltons, Bobby and Jack, helped to put on the map — a tough mining town to cut your managerial teeth.

Patrick O’Connell had captained Manchester United before he arrived. When he signed at Old Trafford in 1914, the £1,000 fee was the second highest in United’s history. It’s the type of fact that could frame a sportsman, if there weren’t others far more noteworthy. Because the picture on the wall would not go unnoticed in the north of Spain.

In clubs like Real Betis and Barcelona, the Dubliner, the one they call ‘Don Patricio’ is revered and respected, his memory preserved by a La Liga title in 1935; his pivotal role in preserving Barcelona football club when manager, secure.

It’s Wednesday evening and Mike O’Connell wants to share just one more story about his Dublin-born grandfather.

“My wife is telling me to shut up now,” he said. “But you have to talk to Sue… Sue has done all the research into him, me granddad, she has enough to write a book.

“The family grew up in Manchester, but then he just disappeared. The only clue they had was that small amounts of money were coming from Spain.”

After playing with Belfast Celtic, Patrick O’Connell moved to Britain and signed with Sheffield Wednesday before joining Hull and then going on to captain Manchester United. There were sojourns at Dumbarton in Scotland and then the player-manager role at Third Division Ashington — the setting for the picture frame.

Mike and Sue don’t know why he left for Spain but regardless of O’Connell’s reasoning, it would have taken courage to make such a move, said Sue.

“At that time it would have been like going to the dark side of the Moon. There was hardly anyone there [from England]. It would have been quite brave.”

Family commitments aside, fortune favoured O’Connell. In 1922 he succeeded Englishman Fred Pentland as manager of Racing Santander, guiding the team to five regional titles before becoming one of the founding fathers of La Liga.

In 1931 he would take charge of Real Betis, leading the side to their first and only La Liga title. The win sparked interest from Barcelona who signed O’Connell just as Spain was descending into civil war. With the league suspended, and amid mounting debt, Barcelona and O’Connell accepted an offer to tour Mexico in 1937 and play a series of exhibition matches. The estimated $15,000 they earned secured the future of the club.

Of the 20 players that toured, just four returned. The rest went into exile in Mexico and France.

“They stopped off in Cuba,” explained Mike. “When they were there, some street urchins challenged the Barcelona players to a game — and Patrick accepted. But they were beaten 1-0.”

At Seville, the contradictions of the chain-smoking manager were framed by a strict no-smoking policy. “He forbid it,” said Mike. “He caught one player smoking and banned him for two weeks.”

But the complications weren’t only professional. Patrick O’Connell had a family in England and a son keen to renew the relationship with his estranged father.

“When he was manager of Seville, his son contacted the club by letter and an arrangement was made to meet,” said Mike.

“When they did meet, Patrick was under the impression he was meeting his nephew — he had married for a second time! But when he did, the first thing he asked his son was: ‘How were United doing?’ It was different times. Information didn’t move like it does today.”

However O’Connell would leave Spain and return to London, moving into the attic room of his brother’s home in Argyll Street.

“He had had his day,” said Mike. “He was getting poor. He moved in with his brother who worked for the British Civil Service.”

But now removed to England, O’Connell’s legacy failed to follow.

“He was a celebrity with some of the neighbours, but he wasn’t really known,” said Sue. “News didn’t travel then. It was tragic really; he would end up claiming assistance.”

The Patrick O’Connell memorial fund are campaigning for a statue to be erected in honour of Don Patricio in Belfast. Sheffield Wednesday will hold an event to honour their former player in February 2015. To contribute to the campaign, log-on to www.pocfund.com

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:12pm
I realise ticketgate is going on here but just to let you know:
Colm Farry a Film Producer from Sligo now based in Seville and the club EireOgSevilla kindly donated a polo shirt from their club to the POCMF.
The shirt will be signed by GAA legends such as Henry Shefflin,Brian Cody,Michael Murphy,Paul Flynn and others in the coming weeks.
All-Ireland winning(1996) Wexford manager Liam Griffin signed the shirt today,see above.

The shirt will be auctioned off at a fundraising event in Seville following the Real Betis v Racing Santander game on Dec 21st to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Patrick O'Connell winning La Liga 1934/35 - 2014/15.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:28pm
The One they call 'King'!!

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 6:29pm
Quality.
Thumbs UpCoolThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:00pm
Thanks to the Irish Examiner for this piece today which mentions an up and coming fundraising event from Windsor Park to Lansdowne Road 'Un Paseo Por Don Patricio' - Two marathon runners from CarrickFergus Co. Antrim will run 105 miles on Nov 17th to be in time for the friendly v USA on Nov 18th to raise funds and to commemorate Ireland's first trophy win the British Home Championship a century ago in 1914 - Mr. O'Connell captained Ireland to a 3-0 win v England at Ayresome Park in the championship and played with a broken arm when Ireland won the C'ship at Windsor Park v Scotland.
Full details here: http://www.pocfund.com/events.html

Sporting legends support memorial fundraiser for Irish footballer

Legends from soccer, GAA and rugby have come out in support of a campaign to raise funds for a memorial for an Irish footballer who had immense success in the game.

Patrick O'Connell, from Dublin, was the first Irishman to play and captain Manchester United before steering Real Betis to their only La Liga title in 1935 as their manager.

Mr O'Connell also managed Barcelona, saving them from extinction during the Franco era.

Johann Cruyff signing a Barcelona shirt for the Patrick O'Connell Memorial Fund.

Big names from the world of soccer such as Franz Beckenbauer, Johan Cruyff, Sir Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks and Luis Figo have signed and donated shirts to be auctioned to raise money for a memorial befitting Mr O'Connell's football achievements in London.

Luis Figo said: "Please convey to the family my wishes that they raise enough money to honour their grandfather."

Franz Beckenbauer signing a Germany shirt for the Patrick O'Connell Memorial Fund.

Sadly despite all this success Mr O'Connell died destitute in London in 1959 and is buried in an unmarked grave at St Mary's Cemetery, Kensal Road, London.

The unmarked grave of Patrick O'Connell.

Other football stars to contribute signed jerseys are Roy Keane, Paul McGrath, Paolo Maldini, Patrick Kluivert, Marco Van Basten, Frank Rjikaard, Gheorge Hagi, David Beckham, Gareth Bale and Wayne Rooney.

The shirts are on display at the Belfast Celtic Museum in Belfast.

There is also a GAA legends shirt which has been signed by the likes of Brian Cody, Henry Shefflin and Liam Griffin, while London Irish rugby club have donated a shirt signed by rugby icons JJ Williams, Mike Gibson, Ollie Campbell and Lawrence Dalagllio.

On Monday, November 17, two runners from Carrickfergus in Co. Antrim will run 105 miles from Windsor Park in Belfast to the Aviva Stadium in Dublin to raise funds.

The run by Gary Connolly and Gillian Cordner will also commemorate Ireland winning their first ever title - the 1914 British Home Championship.

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill signing a N. Ireland shirt for the Patrick O'Connell Memorial Fund.

Mr O'Connell captained Ireland to a 3-0 victory against England at Ayresome Park and was part of the team that clinched the title at Windsor Park against Scotland.

The event, 'Un Paseo Por Don Patricio', is hoped to be completed by the time of the Republic of Ireland's friendly game against the USA on Tuesday, November 18.

Full details are on their website:  http://www.pocfund.com/" rel="nofollow - www.pocfund.com .

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 8:28am
The greatest hurling manager of them all.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 9:09am
That's brilliant work. Well done

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 1:42am
Good stuff.
Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 8:15am
http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/patrick-o-connell-the-football-legend-time-forgot-1.1409570

Thanks to Jason Pettigrove and Gulf News one of the largest English speaking newspapers in the Middle East who have covered this project this weekend.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 7:08pm
London based Journalist & Barca Fan Jason Pettigrove with a copy of Saturday's Gulf News and the article he wrote about Patrick O'Connell.
This project has now had some amazing interest from the Middle East region.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 9:48pm
Un Paseo Por Don Patricio - Gary Connolly and Gillian Cordner who left Windsor Park this morning and have arrived at the half way point Dundalk tonight - that's 55 miles a double marathon in one day - another 55 miles tomorrow to Lansdowne Road for kick off of the Ireland v USA match tomorrow night - an unbelievable effort - Thanks to Ken Greer & Andrew Conn Linfield FC and Paul Robinson The Park Centre Belfast and Marty Flynn Belfast Celtic for their help today and thanks to those runners in Belfast and Newry and Dundalk who joined Gary and Gillian on the road....roll on tomorrow!!
Gary and Gillian will be introduced to the crowd tomorrow night at half time.
Full details here - http://www.pocfund.com/events.html & photo on here https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial?ref=bookmarks

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:15pm

Un Paseo Por Don Patricio - Gary Connolly and Gillian Cordner who left Windsor Park this morning and have arrived at the half way point Dundalk tonight - that's 55 miles a double marathon in one day - another 55 miles tomorrow to Lansdowne Road for kick off of the Ireland v USA match tomorrow night - an unbelievable effort - Thanks to Ken Greer & Andrew Conn Linfield FC and Paul Robinson The Park Centre Belfast and Marty Flynn Belfast Celtic for their help today and thanks to those runners in Belfast and Newry and Dundalk who joined Gary and Gillian on the road....roll on tomorrow!!
Gary and Gillian will be introduced to the crowd tomorrow night at half time.
Full details here - http://www.pocfund.com/events.html & photo on here https://www.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial?ref=bookmarks

All good stuff bud.
Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 11:07pm
Well done to Gillian and Gary who completed Un Paseo Por Don Patricio this evening at Lansdowne Road Dublin from Windsor Park Belfast - Gary and Gillian are pictured with Mike(Patrick's Grandson) and Sue O'Connell in the hospitality suite at The Aviva Stadium,Dublin tonight prior to the Ireland v USA game.Well done to both on a fantastic achievement.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:35pm
I realise Rebel songs and the  ticket fiasco are the major talking points on here but thanks to Paul Galvin(Footballer of the Year 2009 and multiple AI winner) for taking time out of a book signing to sign our GAA legends Eire Og Sevilla shirt, the shirt was also signed by Kingdom legends Seamus Moynihan(Footballer of the Year 2000 & Multiple AI winner),Marc O'Sé (Footballer of the year 2007 & multiple AI winner),Mike McCarthy(AI multiple winner & All Star winner) and Dara O'Cinneide(Kerry Captain 2005 and AI multiple winner) - Le meas do Dara O'Cinneide TG4 agus Radio Na Gaeltachta.

Shirt is now heading north to Donegal...

Posted By: Declanus
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:49pm
fair amount of signatures on it now. well done.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 1:00pm
Great stuff GG Clap  Only suprised Galvin didn't head for the nearest fitting rooms.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 11:43pm
Eire Og Sevilla shirt now doing the rounds in the hills of Donegal pic of Donegal footballer Leo McCloone attached.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 4:46pm
The POCMF and Wednesdayite(SWFC SC) have organised a star studded fundraising event for next Feb at Hillsborough - Patrick's first club Sheffield Wednesday have kindly donated there 1867 function room @ Hillsborough for the night.

Full details and tickets available here:
http://www.wednesdayite.com/index.php/services/wednesdayite-events/item/1726-poc-event-feb15

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 5:34am

The POCMF and Wednesdayite(SWFC SC) have organised a star studded fundraising event for next Feb at Hillsborough - Patrick's first club Sheffield Wednesday have kindly donated there 1867 function room @ Hillsborough for the night.

Full details and tickets available here:
http://www.wednesdayite.com/index.php/services/wednesdayite-events/item/1726-poc-event-feb15

Sounds like its going well bud.
Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 11:19pm
From the Man United official website:

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fanzone/News-And-Blogs/2014/Dec/The-Patrick-O%27Connell-fund.aspx

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 11:20pm
Great continued work & coverage GG Clap

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 7:30am
Top man GG.
Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 10:09pm
Thanks to Oliver McKeown @ the Northern Ireland Tourist Board who have agreed to include The Patrick O'Connell Story and The Belfast Celtic Museum as a listed attraction on their database for tourists and locals in the North of Ireland. Clap
Promoting it through social media etc.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 10:12pm

Thanks to Oliver McKeown @ the Northern Ireland Tourist Board who have agreed to include The Patrick O'Connell Story and The Belfast Celtic Museum as a listed attraction on their database for tourists and locals in the North of Ireland. Clap
Promoting it through social media etc.

ClapCoolClap

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 12:47pm

http://www.pocfund.com/events/32-symbolic-poc-fundraiser-seville-21st-december.html" rel="nofollow - Symbolic POC Fundraiser - Seville, 21st December

• http://www.pocfund.com/events/32-symbolic-poc-fundraiser-seville-21st-december.html?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=" rel="nofollow -
  •  
  • http://www.pocfund.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&template=rt_nuance&link=ef0c73403c749a3f9a0d3c4af1d1ee0b43e493c4" rel="nofollow -

http://www.pocfund.com/images/POC/Championship5.jpg" rel="nofollow">Patrick OConnell 1935 On Sunday, 21st of December, the Patrick O'Connell Memorial Fund will be have a fundraising event in Seville to commemorate Patrick O'Connell's greatest success as a manager, when he won La Liga with Real Betis in 1935.

The Real Betis vs Racing Club de Santander match of that weekend holds great symbolic significance due to the fact that O'Connell managed both teams and maintained great affection for each of them. Moreover, Real Betis won the league in 1935 after beating Santander 0-5 in the final match of the season. O'Connell spent more than 15 years living in the Andalusian capital and during his time there was much loved amongst the locals.

To mark the occasion, the POC fund will be presenting a short video on the life of O'Connell prior to the match at the Benito Villamarín stadium in Seville. We have a number of signed football jerseys which we will present at the stadium and then auction or raffle at a post-match function in the Merchant Malt House Irish Bar in Seville.

Amongst the jerseys there will be Real Betis and Racing Club de Santander shirts signed by both teams, an Irish rugby shirt signed by the whole team, a Glasgow Celtic shirt signed by members of the victorious European Cup "Lisbon Lions" team from 1967 which was signed in Lisbon prior to last seasons all Madrid CL final, an Éire Óg Seville GAA shirt signed by a number of Irish GAA All-Stars including Henry Shefflin, Brian Cody, Marc Ó'Sé, Paul Galvin, Leo McCloone, and Dara O'Cinneide.

GAA Signed Shirt

Glasgow Celtic Signed ShirtReal Betis Signed Shirt

The POC FUND hopes to rebuild the name of Patrick “Don Patricio” O'Connell in a city where he left such an enormous mark.

The honourable David Cooney, The Irish Ambassador to Spain, Ignacio de la Oliva Agulló, the Honourary Irish Consul to Seville, representatives of Real Betis Balompie and Racing Club de Santander, and family members of the Real Betis team of 1935 will be in attendance at the event. 

Due to the size of the venue, the occasion will be an invitation-only evening limited to around 100 people. However, we will shortly be announcing details on how fans can participate and bid for a number of the shirts, both before and after the event.

Donations can also be made at  http://www.pocfund.com/donate.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.pocfund.com/donate.html

Thanks for your time.

http://www.pocfund.com/events/32-symbolic-poc-fundraiser-seville-20th-december.html

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 1:57pm
Mates brother owns that boozer Gashley. Great spot!

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm
Small world McG - should be a great day and night.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 12:54pm
Journalist Andy Mitten has kindly done a piece about this project in Man United's Fanzine 'United We Stand' to be published in the next edition.

Below is a piece added today on the Real Betis historian site manquepierda.com in advance of the POCMF fundraising event this day week in Seville.
This piece was written in 1954 two days before a benefit game for Mr. O'Connell it is translated from Spanish google style.:-)
It gives a feeling of how both football clubs of Seville hold Mr. O'Connell in high regard as he managed both Real Betis and Sevilla FC.

----------------------
As we saw  http://www.manquepierda.com/historiarealbetis/5473-homenaje-oconnell-1954/" rel="nofollow - - Patrick O'Connell received a game tribute from Real Betis in September 1954.

Two days earlier in the evening newspaper Sevilla this article dedicated to "the boss", which is how he met in Seville, in addition to Don Patricio is published.

We take the occasion to inform that next Betis-Racing de Santander's Charitable Fund in memory of Patrick O'Connell develop a series of activities that are available  http://pocfund.com/espanol/34-fiesta-benefica-sevilla-el-domingo-21-de-diciembre-de-2014.html" rel="nofollow -  
 Seville football fans know that by "the boss" we mean Patrick O'Connell, the Irish stout fatherly air so aptly addressed the two top teams in our city. He enjoyed his triumphs and setbacks hurt with such a Sevillian more.
In love with this blessed land where so many triumphs harvested, took Sevilla, and thus to Spain, as his second home.
 He lives under our sun and would live if the vicissitudes of life not impelled him towards the green Eire his birth.
 But his memory will live, because I knew the seed sown came a sports title with features unmatched to date.Patrick O'Connell is linked to Real Betis, because he could carve with unsurpassed master the most dazzling bright verdiblanca glorious history.
 Appreciate who know him, because he gained this creditor. Caballero inside and outside the sport, he delighted in the service of football and he consumed his prime. His dignified and pronounced chin made themselves popular in the fields of Spain bald. Great psychologist and coach, knew how to take each athlete maximum performance with parental and timely reprimands or with wise counsel.
 It is deep possession football knowledge taught them methodically and simply, without algebraic embotamientos, as harmful as those currently in circulation.
 We are confident that the Seville fans, are what the colors under which militate, united by the noble motto of gratitude, they go to Stadium eager to show the "mister" Heliopolis, to "Mr.", sincere thanks are to this hobby unparalleled professes.
 On the other hand, the encounter is surrounded by the best attractions such as the presentation of new verdiblancas acquisitions and strong team that has to face them. This will contribute handsomely to tribute.So ... until Sunday at Heliopolis.

Source: Adolfo Sánchez in Seville September 3, 1954

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 6:23am
ClapCoolClap

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net