Print Page | Close Window

Is Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Rest of The World
Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=48799
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 12:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?
Posted By: Landon Donovan
Subject: Is Raheem Sterling better than Messaldo at 19?
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 12:54pm
I think he's better than CR7 at 19 but he was a player that needed to gain physical stature before he fulfilled his potential.

Messi would be more comparable due to size. I think he is on a par with him at 19.

EDIT

Sterling (Aged 19) Versus Messi/Ronaldo (Aged 19) Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 12:56pm
What have you been smoking lad??

Posted By: Jackthelad
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 12:57pm
Sweet Vincent

-------------
Oh Poland we loved you.....

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

Sweet Vincent

Kompany? He made a show of him last week

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:11pm
Here, you're listing to far too much Sky Sports.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:12pm
Messi scored a hat trick against Real Madrid in a 3-3 draw at the age of 19.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Here, you're listing to far too much Sky Sports.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Messi scored a hat trick against Real Madrid in a 3-3 draw at the age of 19.

The Ster hasn't played against Real Madrid yet. He can still achieve that feat should they draw Madrid in the UCL next season

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 1:21pm
The Ster

Posted By: JohnnyD87
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 3:37pm
No way

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 3:42pm
f**k sake

I think some people will only realise that Messi is the greatest ever when he's long gone..

Raheem Sterling better than him at 19 ? Liverpool fans

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 4:09pm
ermmmmmm, no

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:05pm
It's far from an outlandish comparison. Sterling has got better and better and has probably been Liverpool's best player since December. He's driving Liverpool to the title for the first time in 24 years. That kind of thing is unheard of for a player who only recently turned 19.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:43pm
Hilarious...liverpool fans = funny bastards.

Sterling....i see a pan....and a flash...ego warrior going through good form.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:49pm
Where are these Liverpool fans?

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 5:54pm
The liverpool fans from ireland who supported liverpool as young boys and when utd started winning everything they changed teams and followed utd...now dat utd are muck...the liverpool sympathies appear LANDON.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:22pm
Thread was not started by a Liverpool supporter.

Anyway I don't think he is as good as Mess I or Ronaldo at that age but they are two of the best footballers ever. Sterling has a massive future though. Suarez and sturidge have not been at their brilliant best the last 4 games but Sterling has stepped up to the plate.
Matured remarkably over the last year. So strong for a small bloke too

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:26pm
You on the beer today Windbag? LOL

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:28pm
The question is not whether Sterling will be as good as Messi or Ronaldo at 26, the question is whether he is as good at 19 as Messi and Ronaldo were at that age.

I would say he's currently at least around the same level Messi was at at 19 ie the 2006/07 season and ahead of where Ronaldo was at at 19 ie the calendar year of 2004.

-------------

Posted By: Man from Del Monte
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:34pm

-------------
say yes

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The question is not whether Sterling will be as good as Messi or Ronaldo at 26, the question is whether he is as good at 19 as Messi and Ronaldo were at that age.

I would say he's currently at least around the same level Messi was at at 19 ie the 2006/07 season and ahead of where Ronaldo was at at 19 ie the calendar year of 2004.

Its very hypothetical. But I think Sterling can aspire to be world class, he is getting better all the time.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Man from Del Monte Man from Del Monte wrote:

this

Posted By: stuffer
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

What have you been smoking lad??

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:55pm
@LANDON....YES....yes i am. I am 7 BSM approved beers into it..

And i think u are too hip to be square...

Better question for ya....Rooney or Sterling at 19...who was better?..

Flip that question to the other mugs...... sorry Andy.. Rooney never fulfilled his supposed potential (world class) nor will Raheem 'The Queen' Sterling. .

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Man from Del Monte Man from Del Monte wrote:

Here mate, in the words of Neil Young, go and ride my llama!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Flip that question to the other mugs...... sorry Andy.. Rooney never fulfilled his supposed potential (world class) nor will Raheem 'The Queen' Sterling. .
Here, mate. I've been predicting Liverpool to win the league since August and regularly predicting we'll win matches 5-0. 

Guess what, we're going to win the league and we're going to score 100 goals!

Mugs? LOL

Blow into your bag of wind!

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:06pm

That bit is worth highlighting, because it seems from the responses that people are reading LD's question as '' Is Sterling better than Ronaldo or Messi'' and responding to that, not the question he asked. 

He is better than Ronaldo was @ 19 (and that does not imply that he will turn out to be anywhere near as good as Ronaldo, just that he is better now than Ronaldo was at the same age, nothing more), Messi probably a harder comparison to make as his main skill is/was dribbling and close control, whereas both Sterling & Ronaldo, while having excellent dribbling ability at 19, are/were probably a shade less accomplished than Messi in that particular skill, but both of them have the searing pace that isn't part of Messi's game. 

For so many people to rubbish the question is alarming, either they didn't read the question in the first place, or they are looking at some other Raheem Sterling that I'm not aware of, but the one playing for Liverpool has been one of the best in the world in his position (and unlike Ronaldo @ 19, he has shown the maturity to play in more than one position successfully)  since Christmas. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:06pm

It is a close one. Rooney was a very good 19 year old, even better than Ronaldo. Looking at Sterling, I think he has a much higher football IQ than Rooney. Plus Rooney was quite physically developed for a 19 year old.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:09pm
Bojan Krkic was also a fookin AWESOME 19 year old....Barca ranked him high and then he did a Rooney...i.e. was not that good

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm

Bojan Krkic was also a fookin AWESOME 19 year old....Barca ranked him high and then he did a Rooney...i.e. was not that good

But Rooney is good WB, I know what you probably mean in the sense that @ 19 Rooney looked better than maybe both Ronaldo or Messi, and has not quite managed to live up to those standards he once looked capable of every week (I'm thinking when I saw him get the hat trick V Fenerbache all those years ago, he looked THE best player in the world that night) but Rooneys head goes more often than Ronaldos or Messis, he is too easily frustrated, which is one of the reasons he is not at their level. 

I think most Liverpool fans would be happy if Sterling turned out to be as good as Rooney, but at the moment, the way Sterling is going, it seems there is a possibility he could be even better than that. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 7:26pm
@ deise....
1st...thank you
2nd...COP THE FOOK ON...sterling...Messi is way better..so is Selcuk Tidim...FACT

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:18pm
Top fishing by LD Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

f**k sake

now you realise how stupid everyone thinks you are when you post Thumbs Up

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Top fishing by LD Clap

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

That bit is worth highlighting, because it seems from the responses that people are reading LD's question as '' Is Sterling better than Ronaldo or Messi'' and responding to that, not the question he asked. 

He is better than Ronaldo was @ 19 (and that does not imply that he will turn out to be anywhere near as good as Ronaldo, just that he is better now than Ronaldo was at the same age, nothing more), Messi probably a harder comparison to make as his main skill is/was dribbling and close control, whereas both Sterling & Ronaldo, while having excellent dribbling ability at 19, are/were probably a shade less accomplished than Messi in that particular skill, but both of them have the searing pace that isn't part of Messi's game. 

For so many people to rubbish the question is alarming, either they didn't read the question in the first place, or they are looking at some other Raheem Sterling that I'm not aware of, but the one playing for Liverpool has been one of the best in the world in his position (and unlike Ronaldo @ 19, he has shown the maturity to play in more than one position successfully)  since Christmas. 

I really dont think people can mentally comprehend the question

Yeah, I think he may be superior to Ronaldo. People forget that a lot of questions hung over Ronaldo's actual potential until the 06-07 season. TBH when him and Rooney had their little World Cup spat, I would have probably chose Rooney if Fergie had to chuck one out.

Messi is a bit similar to Sterling but I actually think Sterling may have a better allround game compared to a 19 year old Messi.

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:28am
Rooney at every age > Sterling at any age

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 4:34am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Rooney at every age > Sterling at any age

Eh, Sterling is 19 chief, and I think it is safe to assume he is currently at his best, meaning like he hasn't disimproved since he was, say, 14 or 15. If you are comparing a 26 yr old Sterling to a 26 year old Rooney, I'll have a go of your DeLorean when yer done with it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Top fishing by LD Clap

Me bollix, a perfectly valid and topical comparison by LD, for all those who responded with 'fcuk off' or a load of 'LOL' , tell us exactly why ya think this isn't the case ?? Even allowing for club/personal bias, here is a BBC link to Brendan Rogers' (the manager of the year) opinion, he states that Sterling is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment.  http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27096737" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27096737

If Tribal Army comes on here and nominates some 18 yr old in the Romanian 3rd division, I will defer to his superior knowledge, other than that, start shouting some names of other 19 year old footballers producing better football and on a more consistent basis than Sterling. 

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:45am
Cortois who is 21 possibly. But Sterling is on some form at the moment.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

Sweet Vincent

I am guilty of skimming the question originally so heartfelt apologies to LD who asked a perfectly legitimate question bar his use of the word messaldo   

In response I think he's possibly better than Ronaldo was at that age, hard to call.
But not messi.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:38am

Top fishing by LD Clap

Me bollix, a perfectly valid and topical comparison by LD, for all those who responded with 'fcuk off' or a load of 'LOL' , tell us exactly why ya think this isn't the case ?? Even allowing for club/personal bias, here is a BBC link to Brendan Rogers' (the manager of the year) opinion, he states that Sterling is arguably the best young player in Europe at the moment.  http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27096737" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27096737

If Tribal Army comes on here and nominates some 18 yr old in the Romanian 3rd division, I will defer to his superior knowledge, other than that, start shouting some names of other 19 year old footballers producing better football and on a more consistent basis than Sterling. 

The question wasn't is Sterling one of the best young players in Europe. At the moment he is showing maturity beyond his age and is very effective. He's still not comparable to Ronaldo or Messi when they were 19. Not a chance

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:42am

BSM approved beers

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 11:43am

Top fishing by LD Clap

how do you manage to post such sense at 445am posting links aswel I'm doing well to string 2 words together at that hour!

-------------

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:06pm
Ronaldo was quite poor at that age, I remember him being referred to riverdance due to the number of unnecessary stepovers and lack of end product. Sterling has been a very influential force in this team, Rodgers has curbed his lifestyle traits and made him a player who can play many different roles, so he clearly is adaptable and has a footballing brain to go with his pace and deceptive strength. Messi at 19 was on a different level though and it was pretty obvious he was going to be the world's best.
Oh and I am not sure what was meant by the 'Rooney' comparisons,but give me Sterling now over the brainless lad running around Goodison Park yesterday.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:09pm
Good question this.
Exceptional talent is sterling.
Better than ronaldo at 19, not messi

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:19pm
Just read back my opening post. I really should have clarified Sterling aged 19 V Messi/CR7 aged 19 LOL

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 12:20pm

Just read back my opening post. I really should have clarified Sterling aged 19 V Messi/CR7 aged 19 LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:08pm
Ya your right actually LD, I take back my earlier apology, ya gobsh*te

-------------

Posted By: Boban
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:17pm
Ronaldo was awfully inconsistent at that age and infuriating to watch alot of the time.I don't think it's laughable to compare him at that age and Sterling,as some on here seem to.I would question whether Ronaldo at 19 would have performed as well as Sterling did last week against City in such a huge game.He had a habit of going missing in those type of games earlier in his career.

Messi at 19?I don't think Ronaldo or Sterling at that age even come close.

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:39pm
Messi was 19 for the first half of 2007. That's the first year he came in the top 3 for the Balon D'Or(he won it the next year).
I don't think Sterling has shown yet that he's close to being as good as Messi was at 19.

Posted By: Ludwig von Drake
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 9:56pm
Messi was sensational in 2007, this was his goal against Getafe. 

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 10:10pm
Neither. People forgetting Ronaldo was one of the players of the tournament in Euro 2004 at the age of 19 when Portugal got the the final. Sterling has 2 England caps and isn't even guaranteed a starting place this years World Cup in a very average England team.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 10:10pm
amazing

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 10:33am

Top fishing by LD Clap

In fairness there is no way Sterling (who hasn't even played in the CL, nor made a big impression for England) could be mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo or Messi at 19.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: Shamrock
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:08am
I think he is better than Ronaldo was at 19. When you look at Sterling's end product compared to Ronaldo at that age - Sterling wins out for me. However, will he be better than Ronaldo is? Only time will tell.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:15am
Slightly off topic, but what club did he come from?
I heard recently Liverpool paid a record fee for him as a 15 year old but didn't hear from who they got him? Also how much is a record fee for a 15 year old these days?

Posted By: Shamrock
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:18am
QPR

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Shamrock Shamrock wrote:

QPR
Thumbs Up

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:21am
he is a brilliant player , surely a starter for england.

i dont think i saw messi or ronaldo when they were 19 but i would hazard a guess messi was better, i think fergie made ronaldo what he is.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:38am
Ronaldo was named in the team of the tournament in Euro 2004 at 19.

If Sterling plays a big part in Englands world cup campaign, then maybe but Ronaldo provided 2 goals and 2 assists en route to getting Portugal to the final of that tournament.

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:41am
And we accuse the Brits of bigging up their players !!!!

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 1:26am
Top top player

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 10:15am
Agreed. England's stand out last night. Needs to get Rooney's agent!

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 10:20am
Yup brilliant

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 3:31pm
9 league goals for Sterling so far as a 19 year old.
Messi score 14 league goals as a 19 year old.

Sterling turns 20 on the 8th of december.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 3:26pm
Another MOTM. 4 more goals to match Messi's total as a 19 year old.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 3:29pm
Clap

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 4:16pm
He should have scored 2 more goals.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 4:18pm
Horsebox, have a beer, touch yourself and enjoy life a little.

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:26pm
Incredible improvement under Guardiola

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
*Southgate

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:10pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49333642" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49333642

I think he has it in him to have a 40+ goals in a season (all competitions)
He gets into fantastic positions. 

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:48pm
Geeat shout from myself picking him to be top goalscorer Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net