URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=48776
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 12:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anglo trial
Posted By: Gaz
Subject: Anglo trial
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 5:21pm
Seanny Fitz found not guilty on all charges brought against him

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0416/609310-anglo-irish-bank-trial/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0416/609310-anglo-irish-bank-trial/

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Replies:
Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 5:22pm
Angry Beyond pathetic, and the saddest part of all is that it's not really that surprising either. Cry

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 5:39pm
Not surprised at all.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 5:55pm
Banana Republic.
Nothing changes.

Posted By: stuffer
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 5:57pm
in fairness it was only a small petty crime, its not like he is a real criminal who didn't pay his TV licence or someone who imported garlic labelled as apples

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by stuffer stuffer wrote:

in fairness it was only a small petty crime, its not like he is a real criminal who didn't pay his TV licence or someone who imported garlic labelled as apples
Those were by the the same Judge. However, the Judge had no say in this one, it was a Jury.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: EastStandMan
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:25pm
The judge directed the jury to more or less find the individual not guilty in his closing comments as the they retired ffs . We live in a sewer where the wealthy elites instruct their government muppets on how to ""run the place"" . 

-------------
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:30pm
He should be awarded damages now for the damage done to his good name

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:31pm
Vinny B might be worth a looksee tonight Smile . 

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 7:32pm
So depressingly predictable alright.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:45pm
Unfortunately you cant blame the man himself for this one.

Apparently he had resigned himself a couple of months ago amongst close friends and family that he'd be spending around 3 months in prison. That he got off with not even being convicted of any wrongdoing is laughable but unsurprising. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:28pm
Not surprised.

Whose paying his legal fees?

I doubt Michael O'Higgons comes cheap.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:51pm
So it's not bad enough that we have to stump up €35 odd billion but now we are left with another bill fur a botched investigation and probable legal costs. What a joke

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:56pm
People will be giving out about this big time over pints at the weekend,the internet will be very angry too for a while.Then it'll be forgotten about.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 10:37pm
How proud are you to be Irish today ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

People will be giving out about this big time over pints at the weekend,the internet will be very angry too for a while.Then it'll be forgotten about.

Spot on. Sure Paddy doesn't ever protest. That's the job of hippies and students. But Paddy will do fierce giving out about it over a pint.. and then give out about the price of the pint!

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:36pm
He won it for his court mate Clap

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:03am
There is another trial upcoming concerning the loans to Irish Nationwide that concealed the losses on the balance sheet. Those are much more serious charges and part of the reason for having this trial first was to find out what was going on with those charges - a fishing expedition of sorts. Seanie Fitz is not out of the woods yet, and I wouldn't write off convictions in the next trial.

But yeah, it is kind of depressing that no-one has been convicted (yet) in respect of one of the biggest reasons for the bailout and the decades of penury it has subjected the country to.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 12:51am
Seany Fitz is a legend and should be rewarded

-------------

Posted By: Shamrock
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:00am
What can you say really. What sort of system lets a **** like him go scot free? There are many who are complicit in this from law makers to politicians. Reflects very badly on this government who came in on the promise of change and a lot of goodwill but have done a steady if very unspectacular job.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 1:26am
Enda Kenny is making him Minister for Finance

-------------

Posted By: da scientist
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

So it's not bad enough that we have to stump up €35 odd billion but now we are left with another bill fur a botched investigation and probable legal costs. What a joke

vote no.1 the labour party!!

-------------
The main thing is not to panic

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Enda Kenny is making him Minister for Finance

Couldn't be worse than Charlie McReevy. A far bigger gangster than Seanie Fitz

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:37am
Not surprised but still disgusted. All we can hope now is that he gets done on the other charges that SD talked about there.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:16am
In fairness, he wasn't involved in the day to day running of the bank at the time. Had David Drumm been on trial rather than hiding in 'Murica, I'd say we'd have the lynching some are looking for.

Thankfully though, we have the rule of law and a jury that have sat through twelve weeks of a trial, heard all the evidence proffered by the State and deliberated on it for days have reached a verdict on that basis, rather than on the basis of what the populist papers and tv news soundbites tell them.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

In fairness, he wasn't involved in the day to day running of the bank at the time. Had David Drumm been on trial rather than hiding in 'Murica, I'd say we'd have the lynching some are looking for.

Thankfully though, we have the rule of law and a jury that have sat through twelve weeks of a trial, heard all the evidence proffered by the State and deliberated on it for days have reached a verdict on that basis, rather than on the basis of what the populist papers and tv news soundbites tell them.

I'm afraid this country's 'rule of law' is a sad joke, and this has only been further evidenced by the outcome to this trail. Seems all too easy for those convicted of severe white collar crime to slime away via one avenue or another. Surely if this trial took place in somewhere like the States, under US law, these three absolute chancers would be looking at some serious jail time.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that Seanie Fitz doesn't pay some minor fine or other - he should be hunted down like a dog then. Stern Smile

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I'm afraid this country's 'rule of law' is a sad joke, and this has only been further evidenced by the outcome to this trail. Seems all too easy for those convicted of severe white collar crime to slime away via one avenue or another. Surely if this trial took place in somewhere like the States, under US law, these three absolute chancers would be looking at some serious jail time.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that Seanie Fitz doesn't pay some minor fine or other - he should be hunted down like a dog then. Stern Smile

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/se%C3%A1n-fitzpatrick-acquittal-defence-rested-on-his-hands-off-role-at-anglo-1.1764390" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/se%C3%A1n-fitzpatrick-acquittal-defence-rested-on-his-hands-off-role-at-anglo-1.1764390

Seanie wasn't guilty here: Drumm was the main man. Seanie was a non-executive Chairman, not involved in the day to day running of the business. More to the point, this trial isn't over. The jury are still deliberating in respect of the other two lads. In respect of your bit in bold, two questions: 1) did you sit through the twelve weeks of evidence along with the jury; 2) do you not have faith in trial by a jury of your peers? If the answer to the first one is no, then what are you basing your lack of faith in the verdict on, and if the answer to the second one is no, then why not, where the jury have sat through all the evidence first hand and you haven't? It's very, very easy to criticise the jury system but it's very very hard to prove, from a distance, that the decision was wrong.

Seanie hasn't been convicted on anything, at least in respect of the Maple 10 and Quinn loans, after a trial by a jury of his peers. The fact is that the loans to Irish Nationwide issue is still outstanding.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:23am
1) I was not. 2) I have exceptionally little faith in our legal and indeed political system, more so than the jury that arrived at this verdict.

As you say the issue with the loans to IN is still in the pipeline, but I think it's safe to say that I, and I would imagine many others, are not expecting a different result. This trial has received global coverage and yet again we have made ourselves into an absolute laughing stock. As another poster has pointed out also once again it'll be left to Mr. Taxpayer to foot the bill for this show trial. Between all this garbage and the incumbent government's current policies it's amazing there aren't even more people emigrating imo.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

1) I was not. 2) I have exceptionally little faith in our legal and indeed political system, more so than the jury that arrived at this verdict.

As you say the issue with the loans to IN is still in the pipeline, but I think it's safe to say that I, and I would imagine many others, are not expecting a different result. This trial has received global coverage and yet again we have made ourselves into an absolute laughing stock. As another poster has pointed out also once again it'll be left to Mr. Taxpayer to foot the bill for this show trial. Between all this garbage and the incumbent government's current policies it's amazing there aren't even more people emigrating imo.

If it was a show trial in the traditional sense, Seanie wouldn't have got a fair hearing and would have been summarily convicted. As it was, he received a fair trial and was acquitted by a jury of his peers. I have no difficulty with the result.

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 2:31pm
I thought the judge directed an acquittal rather than the jury deliberating on the evidence and finding him not guilty.

To be fair I haven't really been followingit just picking up bits here and there

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by da scientist da scientist wrote:

what Have labour got to do with it? Wasn't on this watch and they were the only party who voted against the guarantee.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 3:54pm
Whelan and McAteer guilty on charges of providing unlawful loans to the maple 10, not guilty on chaeges of providing unlawful loans to the Quinns.

Sentencing on the 28th.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Whelan and McAteer guilty on charges of providing unlawful loans to the maple 10, not guilty on chaeges of providing unlawful loans to the Quinns.

Sentencing on the 28th.

What sort of sentence are they looking at?

No doubt a suspended one

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 4:48pm

The Government and the Judiciary are completely seperate.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:08pm
[e.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That's the theory anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That's the theory anyway
In fairness it is like. The Judges often give less than 10 years for Drugs just to let the government know who's in charge.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 4:42am

what Have labour got to do with it? Wasn't on this watch and they were the only party who voted against the guarantee.

Will ya stop boy. They have sold themselves out more times than a shoe shop first week of September.

-------------

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:41pm
Not having heard all the eviedence it is quiet probable that the Jury got it 100% right and there is no evidence linking Fitzpatrick to the loans.

I'm pretty sure he is a very smart man and while most likely well aware of what was happening it was not possible to prove it.

Hopefully there is enough evidence to convict in the forthcoming trial re the Nationwide loans.

If the judge has any balls he'll impose maximum sentences as they contested the charges, and leave it to an appeal court to decide if the sentence is too heavy.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:47pm
He already hinted he wouldn't as the regulator knew what was going on and let it go, he should be in the dock too

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Not having heard all the eviedence it is quiet probable that the Jury got it 100% right and there is no evidence linking Fitzpatrick to the loans.

I'm pretty sure he is a very smart man and while most likely well aware of what was happening it was not possible to prove it.

Hopefully there is enough evidence to convict in the forthcoming trial re the Nationwide loans.

If the judge has any balls he'll impose maximum sentences as they contested the charges, and leave it to an appeal court to decide if the sentence is too heavy.

Just browsing over the Times today and it was Drumm who was the main man doing the deals with the Maple 10.

Fitz was not aware of who these people were but was told by Drumm that it was all above board and in compliance.

Any reason why Drumm is not extradited over here to face trial?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Just browsing over the Times today and it was Drumm who was the main man doing the deals with the Maple 10.

Fitz was not aware of who these people were but was told by Drumm that it was all above board and in compliance.

One of the lawyers said the trial without Drumm was like Hamlet without the prince. 

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This is the question I keep asking. Is there any reason why he isn't being sought for extradition?

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 6:26am
Relations are not good between the 2 countries when it comes to extradition. A well known republican who I know caused serious damage to the US economy and the irish state wouldn't grant the extradition because of his political status. I wouldn't be surprised if the irish government did look for it because of his profile the US might tell the state to get f**ked

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 4:43pm
BUMP

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 4:43pm
what a joke

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0429/613158-anglo-trial/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0429/613158-anglo-trial/  

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 4:53pm
Unbelieveable but at the same time depressingly predictable. Official Ireland has circled the wagons and now it's time to ride again. 

If you come from a certain background in this country, you're untouchable. 

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 6:45pm
Ireland, the best little sewer on the planet to do business in . The koonts imprisoned folk for not having a tv licence ffs . What a disgusting little kip they have made of our country . Elites are a cancer .

-------------

Posted By: Ludwig von Drake
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 7:47pm
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/mcateer-and-whelan-spared-jail-in-anglo-case-1.1777520" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/mcateer-and-whelan-spared-jail-in-anglo-case-1.1777520
He said it would be unjust to jail the two men given “a State agency had led them into error and illegality”.

Presumably in other countries the appropriate state agents would be brought to justice but unfortunately this is Ireland, where the buck stops nowhere. A true banana republic.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 8:30pm
It's Martin Nolan, he always does this. They've been giving him the hint for years to get lost.

-------------

Posted By: finnanselbow
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:17pm
They'll happily blame the guy who has retired with a healthy pension and can't be touched now. Joke

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:18am
Bob Geldof could have wrote Banana Republic last week, only he had a funeral to attend (RIP).

Hundreds of people six foot in the ground by suicide and families financially & emotionally destroyed by the fiscal reductions required in government budgeting to get us out of financial lunacy and We haven't learned a fcukin thing. The same cnunts are in charge of the fun-house folks.

After finding these two shysters guilty of giving illegal loans to 10 developers to buy shares in their own bank, (presumably with the hope of codding other investors as to the banks prospects), the Judge Martin Nolan said yesterday, and I quote from source; 

• Both men were executive directors of the bank and had an obligation to ensure the bank behaved in a lawful manner and they had signally failed to do this. 
  • They had a duty to stop this scheme he said.
  • Their acts were a blatant affront to Section 60 of the Companies Act, no matter what the motivation was or what necessity was perceived. 
  • It was a breach of the law and necessity did not give parties the right to break the law.
  • his was not a victimless crime as anyone buying Anglo shares in July 2008 would not have been aware of the true state of the bank.
And then what did he do; he adjourned sentencing to consider if he might give them a few hours of community service. Aaah sure jaysus Enda, can't we not rightfully claim now "we are the best little country in the World to do business".

If anyone is looking for Justice Nolan today, I've already been told by his secretary he will not be answering any questions as he is busy playing a few rounds of crazy golf up at Portmarnock. Mssrs McAteer & Whelan have agreed to pay for lunch. 

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Ludwig von Drake Ludwig von Drake wrote:

countries the appropriate state agents would be brought to justice but unfortunately this is Ireland, where the buck stops nowhere. A true banana republic.

So true. If you know the 'right' people and are high enough up the elite chain you have absolutely zero responsibility to worry about. Sure look at the John Tierney lad - made an absolute balls of the Poolbeg incinerator - cost the taxpayer 100 odd million or whatever it was, then just walks right into the next cushy little number as head of Irish Water. Patrick Neary - the regulator who happily approved these illegal loans - simply just stands down and retains his pension. No criminal charges brought his way, despite the fact the Judge hung him out to dry in an effort to save the skin of these two absolute dzopes.

Apart from the odiousness of it all, what sort of message does it send out to the youth of the country? "Out ya go lads - f*ck over as many people as ya can on the way up - and don't worry if ya mess up at all 'cos they'll be absolutely no repercussions!" To say this country has gone to the dogs would be a severe understatement.

On a side note, I received an 80 Euro fine this morning for doing 61 in a 50 zone (in a non-built up area). Those two Anglo gangsters got a suspended jail sentence and no fine. In effect, I therefore received a sterner financial punishment for my crime. Sweet, sweet justice - Irish style!

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:01pm
The Anglo lads haven't been sentenced yet. They're probably going to get 240 hours community service.

-------------

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:05pm
Keep the crime white collar and join the right golf club and you'll be fine.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 1:44pm
Another proud day for Ireland.........

"Shoes off for the Anglo Boys"........

Sure they only did it in the national interest.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 4:45pm
Date fixed for the next trial, February 2nd, 2015.... mad delays in the Circuit Court at the minute with a few long trials in particular delaying things. It was originally fixed for October but has been pushed back. The next one is to do with the alleged failure to disclose loans from Irish Nationwide to him. From the Irish Times:

"He faces 12 counts of failing to disclose to auditors Ernst & Young the true value of loans worth at least €139 million given to him or people connected to him, by Irish http://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540?tag_organisation=Nationwide%20Building%20Society&article=true" rel="nofollow - Nationwide Building Society from 2002 to 2007 while he was an officer of the bank."

Link: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/se%C3%A1n-fitzpatrick-trial-over-139m-loans-put-back-1.1803755" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/se%C3%A1n-fitzpatrick-trial-over-139m-loans-put-back-1.1803755

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 21 May 2014 at 5:36pm
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cha-ching for the legal firms Beer

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 11:50pm
David Drumm found guilty of conspiracy to defraud. Don't think tis time to celebrate yet before the inevitable appeal, then the collapse of the 2nd trial for, ah, reasons or whatever the usual is for these lads who seemingly can't get a fair trial in this country, but not a bad start all the same. Can't get a cent out of him of course, because as is also the norm, as he transferred most of his wealth to his wife, a resident of the USA, like he was himself for a while before he was extradited. 

Any more of this carry on and we might become a properly functioning country, it's just not on. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:59am
He was always going to be the fall guy as he left the country. Still a few years (probably months) in jail is better than nothing.

Seanie Fitz should be in there with him

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:38pm
Sentenced to 6 years......until his appeal comes through..

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:44pm
Don't see him getting anything off it on appeal IMO 

6 years is what I was expecting him to get

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: cardwizzard
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:00pm
Its a truly shocking sentence IMO. Its the same amount of time as the lad who was caught declaring garlic as carrots or some spoof like that... this hure helped cripple the country which we'll still be paying back in 40yrs and then done a runner. 

Typical shennanigans of the courts. 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:36pm
He will get off on appeal because its making him depressed

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:51pm
Why are people always harping on about the garlic case?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Because it has left a bad taste in peoples mouths

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:58pm
Especially when it was reduced on appeal.

It was €5m of tax evasion, ffs. That is very serious and, for an individual, a very high amount of tax to evade. I know there are cases where companies evade more but the garlic case was one of the highest ever in the state.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:47pm

Especially when it was reduced on appeal.

It was €5m of tax evasion, ffs. That is very serious and, for an individual, a very high amount of tax to evade. I know there are cases where companies evade more but the garlic case was one of the highest ever in the state.
Was it not closer to 2m evaded?

He ended up doing two years instead of 6 and paid all the sum due afaik.

Not sure what people thought Drumm would get sentenced, they were hardly going to give him life sentence. 

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:48pm
Oh yea, it was. Maybe he had to pay about €5m with all the interest and penalties.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:50pm

Oh yea, it was. Maybe he had to pay about €5m with all the interest and penalties.
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Perspective I would assume.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by horsebox<br><br>Perspective I would assume.<br><br><br>[/QUOTE horsebox

Perspective I would assume.

[/QUOTE wrote:

What perspective though?

What perspective though?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:42pm
In that one person that smuggles garlic in as onions gets a heavier sentence than somebody who bankrupts the country and is involved in collapsing a banking institute.

Or that rapists and child molesters gets suspended sentences, and that the courts see fit that over 500 people go to jail for not paying a TV license.

The perspective is that there is too much inconsistency in sentencing and dishing out justice.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
As far as I know nobody has ever been sent to jail for not paying their TV licence. Disregard of a court order in relation to a TV licence can result in jail time, but that is not about the TV licence itself.

As SD has said, the detail is very important in the garlic case. This was not about the reclassification, but the effect of it, which was a massive hole in the pockets of the public purse. It was a far more serious case than just about the reclassification of the item.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net