Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=47903
Printed Date: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gas and Electricity
Posted By: t_rAndy
Subject: Gas and Electricity
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 11:35am
I can't find the old thread. Does anyone know who are the cheapest at the moment for both gas and electricity?

Replies:
Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 11:37am
I used to be with Bord Gais but changed to Electric Ireland, not sure on exact figures but EI is working out cheaper.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 11:40am
I'm with flogas for gas and bord gais for electricity. I do an check every 6 months or so to ensure I'm with the cheapest. They're the cheapest standard around, however if you sign up to say Electricity Ireland for example they have a 10% discount for new customers.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 12:14pm
I run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and save €200 a year!

-------------

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

I run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and save €200 a year!

Was only a matter of time really LOL

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

I'm with flogas for gas and bord gais for electricity. I do an check every 6 months or so to ensure I'm with the cheapest. They're the cheapest standard around, however if you sign up to say Electricity Ireland for example they have a 10% discount for new customers.

That reminds me, I signed up to both of these around 18 months ago, so got all the best discounts but those offers will be ending soon.

Sham is that the best bit of info you have that Electric Ireland will give a 10% reduction, anything better surely??

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:05pm
Lads or lasse's just looking for a bit of info about electric Ireland, has anybody switched from pre power to electric Ireland and have they found it any cheaper ?

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:23pm
Switched to Energia the other day. Their standing charges are slightly higher but based on my last gas and electric bill, I'd still save.

With pre pay power the only benefit is PAYG Daithi and not getting a bill. Each supplier has a standard rate which is anything from 10%-17-% higher than the discounted rate depending on the supplier. Sign up to the likes of Energia/Bord Gais etc for a year and you get the discounted rate but your two monthly bill again. Pasted below an article from SIPTU on the issue. Overall it depends on what suits your personal circumstances really. Level pay from Bord Gais might suit you for example, whereby they work out your average bill for the last 12 months then you know what your paying. Upside is at times of high usage your not hit with whopper bills such as in the winter but then in the summer when you might use little or no gas, your still paying. I think they correct the balance twice yearly. So you may end up owing them or they owing you. I wrote a blog on it http://www.bangamidget.com" rel="nofollow - here

Pre-pay meters pushing up cost of Electricity
Date Released: 17 December 2013

Electricity consumers using prepay meters are spending significantly more than those paying the ESB and other suppliers through the traditional billing system.

Retired public service worker, Anne Dunleavy, has estimated that she is paying 75 cent per daymore for electricity since she installed a meter in her home in Raheny, north Dublin.

Based on a comparison with her final ESB bill, Ann Dunleavy has calculated that she is putting €4.25 per day into her meter whereas she was paying €3.50 per day on her ESB bill.

The private companies promoting and installing meters argue that they help customers to monitor and reduce their electricity consumption.

However, in the case of Ann Dunleavy and others contacted by Liberty, the cost of the service could mean customers paying in excess of €273.75 per year for their electricity and even more when the discounts regularly given to users by the ESB, Electric Ireland, Bord Gais and Airtricity are taken into account Ann and her husband Tony, who is also retired, had a Prepay Power meter installed in mid-November and closed their account with Electric Ireland.

In just20 days, from 14th November to 4th December, she fed €85 intothe meter, which beeps incessantly when the meter runs low. Comparing it with her closing bill she discovered that she was paying 75 cent per day more for the service. While installation of the meter was free, she is locked intoa 12-month contract.

“I find that I am constantly feeding the meter machine. We thought it would be a good way of monitoring usage but it has turned out to be significantly more expensive than the ESB service. People should be warned that pre-pay meters can add significantly to their electricity bill,” she said.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:32pm

-------------

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:41pm
Thanks for that Sham Thumbs Up, i am currently with pre pay power but the electric Ireland rep was around the doors today trying to convince me to go with their PAYG meter, he was saying that my current crowd stop 97c a day before you even use any electricty and that their offer is only 30c plus  tax which brings it to about 52c a day before usage, not jumping in until i find out the whole story off someone but going by that article you also posted might just go back to the bill pay lark as have said to mrs daithi that we seem to be just feeding the meter fairly regular, stupidly i have not kept track of thehow much we are putting in quarterly

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:02pm
Just had someone from airtricity at the door there offering me decent rates.
2 questions she couldn't answer.

1. Do I have to contact my current supplier to let them know I'm leaving? Not arsed having to spend time on hold.
2. I am currently paying the same direct debit each month for both elec and gas. Does any arrears have to be cleared before leaving or can I transfer that too?

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

1. Do I have to contact my current supplier to let them know I'm leaving? Not arsed having to spend time on hold. Once you're out of contract, you can switch to your new supplier online. No need to contact them. Can't believe yer wan didn't know that.
2. I am currently paying the same direct debit each month for both elec and gas. Does any arrears have to be cleared before leaving or can I transfer that too?
One direct debit for the 2 bills? I switched to Energia there (compare all rates before you switch btw) and I get two bills as the billing cycle of the Gas and leccy are different. Arrears have to be cleared although there is a small leeway I think. I'll check the letters I got.

€225 or more in arrears will raise a debt flag. That means when Airtricity cancel your current account, your present supplier will inform them if you have arrears of €225 or more

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

1. Do I have to contact my current supplier to let them know I'm leaving? Not arsed having to spend time on hold. Once you're out of contract, you can switch to your new supplier online. No need to contact them. Can't believe yer wan didn't know that.
One direct debit for the 2 bills? I switched to Energia there (compare all rates before you switch btw) and I get two bills as the billing cycle of the Gas and leccy are different. Arrears have to be cleared although there is a small leeway I think. I'll check the letters I got.

€225 or more in arrears will raise a debt flag. That means when Airtricity cancel your current account, your present supplier will inform them if you have arrears of €225 or more

Sound thanks. I pay the same DD for 12 months and then it's reviewed. Just means I don't have big bills in winter and catch up in the summer.
Would have closed the door on her for not knowing but she was a decent redhead

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 7:19pm
A reasonable enough reason to keep the door open.

You must be with Bord Gais so on the level pay plan? Don't think anybody else does that type of plan tbh. 

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 12:07am
Got a call off Bord Gais who do the electricity offering 10% discount off both gas and leccy. Now I have seen an ad on the forum from electric Ireland and they have a deal on prices, so it seems there's a price war -well a price scrap. So Sham what's your verdict?

Also lads sign up to http://www.onebigswitch.ie" rel="nofollow - www.onebigswitch.ie saved a few quid off my leccy last year and they are doing a deal with gas at the moment, just waiting to see what offer, they come up with. They had a €25 free taxi journey if you downloaded the uber app on to your phone, which was good.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 12:08am
Electric Ireland offer....

11% Discount
on Gas & 15%
Discount on
Electricity

plus

€30
Online Switching Bonus

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 6:50am
Generally the offers available on one big switch are the same that are open to everyone, cancelled my membership of it as when I checked it was no benefit. that may have changed recently however. I'm in a contract now so havent been checking prices Bob, however, when checking prices, it's handy to have a couple of recent bils. Check not only the unit price but the standing charge. Airtrcity had for example a higher standing charge than the others the last time I checked which unless you were using huge amounts of leccy/gas would actually mean higher bills even with their unit discount. It's a minefield out there lads....

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 8:11am
Try the price calculator on bonkers.ie it calculates all supplier prices based on your usage

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:29pm
https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow">One Big Switch

EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR

ONE BIG SWITCH MEMBER

https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow - CLICK HERE TO SEE THE OFFER

Congratulations Liam, with the help of you and 78,000 other Irish households, we've unlocked a new exclusive group discounted Energy offer from Bord Gáis Energy.

https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow">discount offer

https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow">offer https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow">Find out more

The offer is available to both new and existing Bord Gáis Energy customers so remember to please spread the word - anyone who joins by midnight May 22nd can still access the offer.

https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow">Good luck and good Switching

P.S. Got any questions?  https://interact.peoplepowergroup.com/pub/cc?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGtzaWH7BehmRWT1OGzdXzaavTrgNqF2nFpTLFLlVXtpKX%3DTRUDAY&_ei_=EjS5CWNLHV7_2L862fQhJb3KSnruGyRsyoswbHppXTy-_wqX0plD3t90Av6Hu5xx63gExGe2PpmmN75MYGyKeEYCHH1S2iEZmOfHeiydliQWAi5BDSQ4tdA." rel="nofollow - Read our full FAQs here

10% Discount T's & C's
10% discount off the Bord Gáis Energy standard gas and electricity unit rates in Year 1 and an ongoing 5% discount thereafter for continuing to choose Level Pay and paperless billing. You must continue to have both gas and electricity accounts active with Bord Gáis Energy and pay by Level Pay and Paperless Billing to receive these discounts.

€120 Cashback T's & C's
The €120 sign-up offer will be applied to a your electricity account whenever you wish to apply it within 12 months from date of sign-up. The credit must be applied within 12 months of date of the customer's sign-up or Bord Gáis Energy may withdraw the offer.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 1:29pm
what you think Sham?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 2:16pm
Nothing new really Bob, the discount is still applied to the standard unit rate, it doesnt appear, on quick glance, to be an extra discount on already discounted rates which every supplier is already offering. The €120 cash back is ok but spread over the term of the contract is €20 per bill. If their standing charges are slightly higher than others, then that can disappear very quickly. 

What I did prior to signing up to a contract was download the last few bills and calculate who would be cheapest for me including all charges and not just the per unit rate. At the time, Energia were the best for me and I signed up for a year. Not sure if they still are but they would be thereabouts. When my contract is coming to an end I'll do the same and check all suppliers.

Another note on comparison websites, they really should just have a very simple calculator where you can put in your supplier and usage, and they can then tell you the cheapest option based on your personal usage as opposed to a general overview of plans. 

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 5:37pm
Has anybody looked into changing from oil to gas. I see calor is offering a free boiler if ye switch over.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 5:58pm
We had an oil barrel when we moved in first, put €400 into it in November, it lasted till the end of February, it was fairly mild so we decided ah sure f**k it it'll be warm soon enough. 

Then it got cold, remember three years ago where it was freezing up till mid may. f**king froze the bollix of ourselves. The following year the landlord put in a new gas boiler top of the range, our bills are far cheaper now and no having to get a tankar in when you run out + we got rid of the horrible green oil container from the garden.

Oil Thumbs Down
Gas Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 10:17am
Any Electric Ireland customers waiting on their Gas bill? My latest bill was due on the 30th but not arrived yet. Playing havoc with my financial planning given its almost 2 weeks late. 

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:17pm
https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/

Free Ireland jersey of you switch to SSE Airtricity..................

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:43pm
Any electricians on here?

My fuse box just started tripping out last night.... whilst trying to watch the Bayern match.Angry

There is no new appliances being used and i've tried locating the problem (trying it with certain plugs out) but it keeps tripping.

Any ideas on what to do next?

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:15pm
Unplug everything that you can, and plug them back in one by one until you find the device that is tripping the switch.

Most likely to be the kettle or toaster. Could also be a fridge or dishwasher too.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 04 May 2016 at 2:29pm
Thanks HB

Will give it a go tonight.

Say if it is the kettle, does that mean the fuse in the kettle plug is busted?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:47pm
Gas bill arrived today and despite having not used any gas since the last bill it was €339.24. I submitted my reading the other day and this was the reading they used. Having not used any gas I was obviously a tad pissed off at such a bill. Before I rang to let loose, I decided to again check the meter to ensure i didnt submit the wrong reading or. When I checked, it had jumped from 3822 to 3855 in a couple of days and again no gas used at all. So I rang up and went through everything and they want me to take readings for three days in a row to ensure there is a fault, of which Im 100% certain there is.

The meter was only installed a few years back and is a digital one. Anyone had similar issues with these? Obviously ithere is a fault. I could have been overpaying for months now or it could be just a since the last bill which was abit more expensive than usual but not off the scale like this one.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Gas bill arrived today and despite having not used any gas since the last bill it was €339.24. I submitted my reading the other day and this was the reading they used. Having not used any gas I was obviously a tad pissed off at such a bill. Before I rang to let loose, I decided to again check the meter to ensure i didnt submit the wrong reading or. When I checked, it had jumped from 3822 to 3855 in a couple of days and again no gas used at all. So I rang up and went through everything and they want me to take readings for three days in a row to ensure there is a fault, of which Im 100% certain there is.

The meter was only installed a few years back and is a digital one. Anyone had similar issues with these? Obviously ithere is a fault. I could have been overpaying for months now or it could be just a since the last bill which was abit more expensive than usual but not off the scale like this one.

My gas and electricity is in around the above amount . In saying that it's a 4/5 (office) bed house with tumble dryer constantly on and she's always cooking . That heating the water aswell with kids baths . Defo something up

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 12:10am
The most any bill has been is €160 even in winter.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 11:51am
total f**k up - when it's not winter the gas is only used for the oven. So bills are very low. 

I've the new digital  meter as well

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 11:53am
So the second day today of the three they wanted me to check. The reading is higher today than yesterday and again, i have not had the gas on. Its always amazing that these things never work the other way...always the customer getting f**ked over

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 12:37pm
Is this one of these new fancy fandango smart meters? My own energy firm want to install them but as I'm a tenant and about to move I've not bothered. Plus I prefer to report my own readings*

*Doctoring them should I need to.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 2:45pm
No chance of a gas leak?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 2:58pm
Saw this thread coming up and thought:

"You said you have enough to be doing instead of filling that silly wagon with cake"

Heh.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No chance of a gas leak?
yeah im sure its possible alright. Ive had a sniff around and dont notice any gas smell. If it is a leak, its obviously after the meter so would be in the gaff somewhere is just fecking perfect

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:40am
So morning 3 and again the meter is higher than yesterday when i have not used any gas. So i ring in as requested and the cheeky chut im speaking to says well the readings (3855 / 3857 / 3859) are small and Show little or no has use so the meter is ok. Im now on hold after losing the plot saying im not using any gas at all and the meter is still rising and you expect me to pay for this? f**king clowns

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:56am
Am with Airtricity the last 2 years, on their budget plan, €45 per month every month so no surprises in winter etc & am very happy on it.
Says in their terms& conditions that my usage is evaluated every 4 months and price can be adjusted but in 24 months it never has.
Got an email this morning saying my plan is moving to €59 pm ****s putting it up by 33%
Anyone (Sham) know who’s cheapest or has the best offers at the min?
I wouldn’t have minded a 5er increase but they ask my balls for €15 per month

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:18pm
I'm with Energia I believe they are the cheapest, I rang this morning and got a 10% decrease on both gas and leccy.

https://www.onebigswitch.ie/" rel="nofollow - https://www.onebigswitch.ie/ Are also doing a new deal with Energia so you might get a better deal through them then going direct to Energia 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:40pm
I dont know how exactly (maybe because it's prepaid I don't use as much) but I find the prepaid gas meter as the best value I've got. I rented for a couple of years and was paying around 1000 per year for gas (sound about right?) just through the standard charge every 2 months for usage and that was with an electric cooker.
Moved into my new home nearly 3 years ago and it had a prepaid meter already. Again electric cooker (not gas). My two annual statements i have received to date have shown I have not put into the meter more than 600 in any given year over the course of the year.

No surprises each month and only pain in the hole is when you run out and have to run the shop and top up (but they do give you 5 Euro emergency which gets you easily through the night (even a few nights if it's not a cold month).

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
Just switched to energia. do it on their own website and get the best deal. Also credit on first bill.

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:37pm
WTF? I'm with Energia and I'm paying €170 per month for Gas & Electricity. Was paying over €200 per month with Airtricity before I switched over.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:54pm
Yeah Energia are chepaest. In general, once any contrcat is up for nay utiliy, similar to car insurance etc, you should shop around and see what offers are out there.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
So would 60 pm still be seen as decent value?

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
Was with Airtricity for both for the last year, but switched recently, 

Gas with Electric Ireland : 170 Euro credit + 5.5% discount

Electricity with Energia : 50 Euro credit + 29% discount

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

That's just the electricity though yeah? My electricity bill is working out about 60 a month, first 2 months were free. The going rate for a 3 bed house I'd reckon.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:40pm

Thats €720 per annum before any +/- afjustments. I prefer to pay my twice monthly bill as normal..ie generally 2 bills over winter that i would deem as high and then the other 4 would be lower. For me personally anything over €150 per high bill is high but then im not in the house a lot. I suppose the best thing for you is to check you usage/costs over the last 12 months and see. When adjusted periodically, did you owe them or did they credit you?

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
Work in the industry. Some tips. Change suppliers every 12 months for Electricity and Gas. Most companies operate at a loss for each customer with the discounts on year 1. They make their profits in the second year etc. (So you should sign 1 year deals and change when they expire)

In regards to what people pay per month or what is an average bill. It's all complete guess work. There's no such thing as an average bill as everybody uses Electricity and Gas differently. If Mrs X drinks tea, she uses the kettle more than Mrs Y who doesn't drink tea. If Mr X has a playstation and Mr Y doesn't etc etc etc. Your usage is your usage and it's pointless comparing it to anyone else

I would recommend reading your own meter at least every two months to avoid your bill being estimated. ESB Networks will try (sometimes they don't have access to the meter if it's apartments or in a locked garage) to read the meter between 1 and 4 times per year. Your supplier won't ever read it so it's a good idea to do it yourself.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:02pm

Thats €720 per annum before any +/- afjustments. I prefer to pay my twice monthly bill as normal..ie generally 2 bills over winter that i would deem as high and then the other 4 would be lower. For me personally anything over €150 per high bill is high but then im not in the house a lot. I suppose the best thing for you is to check you usage/costs over the last 12 months and see. When adjusted periodically, did you owe them or did they credit you?

Yeah it’s €180 a year increase. f**k it i’ll make the move, utilities company’s are ****s. No offence BoyZ and cheers for the advice

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Work in the industry. Some tips. Change suppliers every 12 months for Electricity and Gas. Most companies operate at a loss for each customer with the discounts on year 1. They make their profits in the second year etc. (So you should sign 1 year deals and change when they expire)

In regards to what people pay per month or what is an average bill. It's all complete guess work. There's no such thing as an average bill as everybody uses Electricity and Gas differently. If Mrs X drinks tea, she uses the kettle more than Mrs Y who doesn't drink tea. If Mr X has a playstation and Mr Y doesn't etc etc etc. Your usage is your usage and it's pointless comparing it to anyone else

I would recommend reading your own meter at least every two months to avoid your bill being estimated. ESB Networks will try (sometimes they don't have access to the meter if it's apartments or in a locked garage) to read the meter between 1 and 4 times per year. Your supplier won't ever read it so it's a good idea to do it yourself.

I always text that number on the the sorry we missed you note is in the door. It's a pain in the hoop when getting hit with a big bill. 

Once I actually met this mystical card deliverer, I'm not gonna lie it was a big disappointment. The old saying is true never meet your heroes  

-------------

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:47pm
Couldn't find a thread but looking to change from oil to gas.
The house I'll be moving into has oil and when we got the surveyor report it said we needed to fix the oil tanker as it was unbalanced and need a new boiler so just thinking of changing to gas.
Might have to do some digging in the garden to get it connected. Would this be a costly job? Anyone change over?

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:16pm
Would you not just buy a new boiler?
I'm guessing getting the oil tank sorted is a quick fix and there is a grant for new boilers.
Top of the range boiler be less than 2k and I think the grant was €700 but with some stipulations.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
Think if we have have to spend money on new stuff we might as well get new stuff for gas, and would just prefer gas anyway.
I take it I might be able to get one of those grants on a gas boiler too.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:27pm
We have gas , but i must say it's 50/50 on what you will save as all ups and downs on both from week to week .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
Build a proper airtight house and oil/gas doesn't really matter

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 3:10pm
Anyone get the Netatmo smart heating system with Energia yet? If so would you recommend?

I see they're offering new customers a free installation and set up worth €250. I'm with them 4 years now so hopefully they'll offer that to me, if not I'll switch to electric Ireland and get the hive system with them

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Anyone get the Netatmo smart heating system with Energia yet? If so would you recommend?

I see they're offering new customers a free installation and set up worth €250. I'm with them 4 years now so hopefully they'll offer that to me, if not I'll switch to electric Ireland and get the hive system with them
you shouldnt be with any utility for 4 years Gaz. Always money to be saved by swirching once your initial contract is up. And yes I know that has nothing to do with your actual question

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Haha I'm usually very good at switching but got lazy with the gas and electricity. I did call them after my initial year and ensure they switched me to the new customer offer but haven't done anything since that

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 4:55pm

you shouldnt be with any utility for 4 years Gaz. Always money to be saved by swirching once your initial contract is up. And yes I know that has nothing to do with your actual question

Forgive me Sham for I have sinned.
It was 3 months after my year deal had expired before I contacted them, they then offered me a new deal. It was the same with the business account too 

Sorry, how many hail Rory's do I need to say?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Are you in an air tight house Rossie ? And if so do ya have a heat recovery system installed ? A bit off topic but not worth it's own thread

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Are you in an air tight house Rossie ? And if so do ya have a heat recovery system installed ? A bit off topic but not worth it's own thread

I'm not but I was thinking of building a house soon so did a fair bit of research into it over the last year or 2. Seems like the best job even if the cost is high for construction, should make considerable savings over the lifetime of the house.

Once you hit a certain level of airtightness a HRV is needed for fresh air.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm

Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I'm not but I was thinking of building a house soon so did a fair bit of research into it over the last year or 2. Seems like the best job even if the cost is high for construction, should make considerable savings over the lifetime of the house.

Once you hit a certain level of airtightness a HRV is needed for fresh air.

Yup I've being reading and researching them the last year or so . The house I'm building is airtight and having a heat recovery fitted . They are suppose to be a great investment.   

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

It was 3 months after my year deal had expired before I contacted them, they then offered me a new deal. It was the same with the business account too 

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:28pm

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

One for every year you have been with that company

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 11:16pm
Recently got the nest installed into the home, great piece of kit I must say, works with Alexa too which is also handy.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Recently got the nest installed into the home, great piece of kit I must say, works with Alexa too which is also handy.

Admit you've talked filth to Alexa 

-------------

Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:20pm
Off topic but does any Dub remember the name of an electrical shop in Rialto in 80s I think. Beside the bird Flanagan pub.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Off topic but does any Dub remember the name of an electrical shop in Rialto in 80s I think. Beside the bird Flanagan pub.

LOL LOL slightly off topic alright 

FYI, there are still two electrical shops there, one is across the road from the Bird Flanagan the other beside the Centra

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 5:04pm
How was she exposed or embarrassed or torn to shreds?

Eh, he was quite clear about it being anonymous. No one knew who it was til she went public. Dozy attention seeker.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm

Eh, he was quite clear about it being anonymous. No one knew who it was til she went public. Dozy attention seeker.

have I missed something in this thread?

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm

have I missed something in this thread?
LOL am just thinking the same here

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 6:20pm
Superdave in been dunce shocker, sounds like a response in the social influencer thread?? 

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:11am
I see these companies now have a 50e or 100e exit penalty.

https://switcher.ie/gas-electricity/" rel="nofollow - https://switcher.ie/gas-electricity/

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:57am
Anybody care to share their electricity prices? Houses as opposed to apartments.

Think my meter reading is goosed and Bord Gais are spinning me a yarn.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:50pm
try not to use gas for a day or two, read the meter when you switch it off and then again the next say two mornings. I had my meter replaced a while back as it started to spin of its own accord. In fairness, there were no issues with either my then Supplier electric Ireland or Gas Networks Ireland who are responsible for the meter.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Anybody care to share their electricity prices? Houses as opposed to apartments.

Think my meter reading is goosed and Bord Gais are spinning me a yarn.
3 bed house, bout €65/month.

Bord Gais allow ya to see all the statements online if ya login.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 12:50pm
Need a new electricty supplier - who is best at the minute.

Thank you in advance Sham Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 1:04pm
I always use this for switching, they compare the options and you can fill out a form at the end, they cancel the old contract and signup for the new contract for ya
https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/dual-fuel/" rel="nofollow - https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/dual-fuel/

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 2:02pm
As Sheddy suggests above, try bonkers. Can help if you have your consumption for the last year. When i last changed the cheapest for the lectric was Bord Gais. 

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:02pm

As Sheddy suggests above, try bonkers. Can help if you have your consumption for the last year. When i last changed the cheapest for the lectric was Bord Gais. 
Same. Coming up on 12 months so will have a look around again but Bord Gais were best last year

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:03pm
I got a decent deal with Energia about seven months ago. I think it's a one year deal but I'm not sure. I'll have a look again around Easter and probably move, depending on the deals available at that time.

I know Energia were the cheapest at the time.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:11pm
Fr Purcell saved £200 by running the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Fr Purcell saved £200 by running the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity.

You're almost 6 years late with that one there Hetfield Wink

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

You’re right! Totally missed that!

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:02pm
Anyone use energia?

I've been with electric Ireland for years. Don't know why I get apprehensive about switching!

One big switch have a deal that apparently offers 41% off electricity and one of these thermostats that you can link to your smart phone.

Worth doing? 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Anyone use energia?

I've been with electric Ireland for years. Don't know why I get apprehensive about switching!

One big switch have a deal that apparently offers 41% off electricity and one of these thermostats that you can link to your smart phone.

Worth doing? 
Do the sums. Check a previous bill or two and calculate what it would cost with your new provider. Don't just use the unit rate, check also the standing charge as they differ. However, any discount in the 40s of percent certainly sounds attractive. The thermostat would certainly be very useful. If my current provider changes their tariffs then I will look around as I will then be able to break contract without penalty.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
oh and just to add, there is zero need to be apprehensive about changing, I do it regularly to ensure Im on the best package. With zero disrespect meant, I find it very strange as to why someone of your age etc would be apprehensive. Elderly folk I can understand but even then more and more elderly folk can navigate the internet, its hardly a new phenomenon. Its a very simple process and almost effortless bar a bit of shopping around, deciding which provider and signing up. The most difficult part is going to read your meter.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:32pm
YEah moving electric companies should be a given for everyone. I set a reminder in my phone for when my contract is up, and move again. Until the companies move away from this "introductory price" model, they are asking for us to move. And the switcher proess is desigened to make it easy (you can sign up for a new comapny and they will automatically close your previous account)

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:50pm
Thanks lads, getting on it today 👍

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net