URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=47532
Printed Date: 01 May 2024 at 7:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Christy Moore
Posted By: Dino Baggio
Subject: Christy Moore
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:04pm

Anyone head to any of his recent gigs?

Going on the 23rd and can't wait, has he been in good form letting the crowd sing along or has he been a bit hormonal?

Seen him down in Portlaoise last year and he was outstanding

Replies:
Posted By: gary rowell
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Dino Baggio Dino Baggio wrote:

Going on the 23rd and can't wait, has he been in good form letting the crowd sing along or has he been a bit hormonal?

Love a bit of Christy me top man. Clap

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:07pm
Never been to see him but does he have a moan about the crowd singing along? Shocked

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Never been to see him but does he have a moan about the crowd singing along? Shocked

Its more the clapping along to certain songs. He used to be a proper moany hole but seems to have chilled out a bit in recent years.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:11pm
Went to see him just before the euro's and he was in great form. Sang Joxer and was having the craic. I love his concerts.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:12pm
saw him one time in frankfurt and you couldnt leave the hall only between songs LOL grumpy feckrLOL

but he did a brilliant show , that was with donal lunny , also saw them at that festival in north london last year, top notch stuff

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Dino Baggio
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Its more the clapping along to certain songs. He used to be a proper moany hole but seems to have chilled out a bit in recent years.

Ye he was fine the last time i seen him but have heard he could be liable to moan, i think he asks for the crowd to be quiet for certain songs, he's some performer, Declan Sinnott is great on the guitar too

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:14pm
saw him at the Feile down in Thurles, dont forget his brother Luca another great performer. 

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:17pm
sinnot i meant , not lunny , apologies Embarrassed

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:25pm
That's odd, you think he would love the crowd singing along

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:47pm
Seen him in London a couple of times in the last few years and going to see him in Vicar St on the 30th.

Some songs he doesn't like people making noise, some he encourages it, last time I saw him Damien Duff was there and he requested Joxer, Christy was happy to sing it and got the crowd clapping and singing along. Songs like Lisdoonvarna, Joxer, Viva La Quinta Brigada etc he's got no problem with the crowd getting into it, but quieter songs he tends to not like it.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:07pm
He can ram it . His fans pay his wages so they should be able to sing along if they want. Love his music but he's a grumpy coont.

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:44pm
You're a bit grumpy yourself this weather Babbs!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:46pm
I'm with Christy, I wanna hear him sing, if you wanna clap during a song, go to the zoo and we'll chuck you a fish.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I'm with Christy, I wanna hear him sing, if you wanna clap during a song, go to the zoo and we'll chuck you a fish.
LOL

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:55pm
I agree with you FW to a point. As someone else said when he's singing some of his slower songs certainly be quiet and listen however some of his stuff gets the crowd going and in his day that's what he loved. He was a great man for interacting with the crowd one time.

Imagine one of your gigs where ya didn't get a clap or bit of foot tapping. It wouldn't be one that would last too long in the memory.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

He can ram it . His fans pay his wages so they should be able to sing along if they want. Love his music but he's a grumpy coont.

what about the fans who pay to hear him sing not some out of tune gobsh*te who has no rhythm whatsoever.  

I like the fact that he does not want tuneless fcks runing the gig for others by singing out of tune, clapping out of time and getting the lyrics wrong.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

what about the fans who pay to hear him sing not some out of tune gobsh*te who has no rhythm whatsoever.  

I like the fact that he does not want tuneless fcks runing the gig for others by singing out of tune, clapping out of time and getting the lyrics wrong.  
Gonna get in before daScientist....

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Thumbs Up

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

You're a bit grumpy yourself this weather Babbs!

Your right redman . Festive cheer has deserted me this year ! Don't get me wrong , anytime I have gone to see him im glad to sit there in silence and let the man play . I just think its disrespectful to his paying customers to give them an earful . He's a musician . He's not handing out loaves and fishes up there .

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Dino Baggio Dino Baggio wrote:

I seen him last month there and he was in great form cracking jokes and telling stories between songs. You could see the crowd didn't know wether to sing or what but there were times when he told them to sing with him.

He did 2 hours straight with no nterval and the bar wasn't allowed to serve any drink whilst he was on

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 5:39pm
He's a self centred,selfish pr1ck.

One man doesnt drink so he closes the bar for everyone.

Over rated as well.

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 12:28pm
Top man Clap my mate wrote a few songs for him a few years ago and he is still living handsomely off the royalties over here Wink,seen him play in Swifts pub in Newbridge when i was a kid,he was amazing that night and was sinking pints to bate the band!

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:42pm
I'm going to see him tomorrow in Gormanston Co Meath first time seeing the man. What shall I expect no going to the bar or Toilet for duration of gigs. Anyone seen him recently any idea on his setlist these days? 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:44pm
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/02/21/christy-moore-opens-eyes-for-first-time-in-30-years-following-surgery/" rel="nofollow - http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/02/21/christy-moore-opens-eyes-for-first-time-in-30-years-following-surgery/

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:46pm
Good timing LOL

-------------

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

I'm going to see him tomorrow in Gormanston Co Meath first time seeing the man. What shall I expect no going to the bar or Toilet for duration of gigs. Anyone seen him recently any idea on his setlist these days? 
You pretty much have it covered there. Don’t start singing along to a song unless he encourages the audience to-learnt this the hard way

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:00pm
Crack open the tins front row.

-------------

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:59am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

You pretty much have it covered there. Don’t start singing along to a song unless he encourages the audience to-learnt this the hard way
Have seen him 6/7 times. Each time I go away thinking that’s a better performance than the last. He picks his songs depending on the venue so hard to say the set list. Usually for the first hour he goes off himself but for the second hour takes some requests. He’s not as strict as bogball says. Sing away like he loves the audience singing in tune but the only thing I’d advise is not to clap to certain songs as he will stop them. Would be very surprised if you are disappointed. Usually his gigs are for 8 so he will be on stage at about 8:10 and will go on until 10:30

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Have seen him 6/7 times. Each time I go away thinking that’s a better performance than the last. He picks his songs depending on the venue so hard to say the set list. Usually for the first hour he goes off himself but for the second hour takes some requests. He’s not as strict as bogball says. Sing away like he loves the audience singing in tune but the only thing I’d advise is not to clap to certain songs as he will stop them. Would be very surprised if you are disappointed. Usually his gigs are for 8 so he will be on stage at about 8:10 and will go on until 10:30
why would anybody pay to see such a t**ser? You'd swear he was doing people a favour the way he carries on. 

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:48am
I have seen him a few times.He's one moody ****,he asks for requests but gets thick if its not one he has played in a while,no clapping ,may or may not get pissed off if people sing along,no bar .

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:51am
your a bigger clown to be go see a washed up 73 year old money hungry f**knut 

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:55am
Went to his show in Vicar street. Bar closed. If you went to the jacks you just had to wait until whatever he was singing was finished. No issues with clapping or singing along at all from the off. Excellent performance

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:03am
Seen him in Naas a few weeks ago, He was in great form talking to the audience . No issue with clapping or singing along  

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:08am
What's the story with the no bar? Just doesn't want people to be coming and going during the show or something?

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

What's the story with the no bar? Just doesn't want people to be coming and going during the show or something?

Yea pretty much 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:59am

A lot of people who have given up the booze struggle with the fact that other people can handle it.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

why would anybody pay to see such a t**ser? You'd swear he was doing people a favour the way he carries on. 

LOL I know he's anti drinking due to him been a reformed alcholic, so I'd gibe him a bit of pass on that side of things. I didn't realise he was a total arsehole as well

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:06pm
Each time I’ve seen him, I’ve always loved it. He’s a fabulous musician.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:14pm
Seems like the vast majority of those who have posted here who have seen him really enjoyed the show.  So no issue here. 

For sit down gigs to have people more intrestes in the bar can be annoying for those who are actually there for the music.  So I am with Christy moore on that.  Regarding clapping he usually pulls the plug when gobsh*tes do the late late show clapping sh*te when it’s a song about domestic abuse and they have missed the point of the song. 

If you are going to see one of his gigs you won’t be disappointed unless you want to go to get pissed. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Each time I’ve seen him, I’ve always loved it. He’s a fabulous musician.
Only been at a Christy gig once and he was quality.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Leave Malachy out of this :) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:25pm

Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Leave Malachy out of this :) 

LOL

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

A lot of people who have given up the booze struggle with the fact that other people can handle it.
Yeah he's a bit of a f**king pre Madonna if you ask me. 

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 3:57pm

I've been told it's for VAT purposes.   He doesn't have to pay as much if there's no bar but I may be open to clarification/correction on that.

Bar or no bar, he is still an absolutely superb entertainer in concert.  A national treasure.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:02pm
Sorry couldn't resistLOL

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/02/21/christy-moore-opens-eyes-for-first-time-in-30-years-following-surgery/

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:10pm
Interesting that there has been three different answers given for that no bar question! I suspect PM's may be closest to the real reason but there's no doubt the other two also make sense.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:58pm
Seen him once at vicar street a couple of years ago and it was quality. He was in great form and had no issue with people clapping.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:47pm

Interesting that there has been three different answers given for that no bar question! I suspect PM's may be closest to the real reason but there's no doubt the other two also make sense.
I am not even sure if he uses AA, nor do I care, but his attitude would tie in with my experience of the organisation and I always thought it was that.

I have seen him a couple of times and met a couple of times and he is,as FW said, a national treasure. I have no idea if his shows are still as good, but it is worth having to forego a few pints to see him. As with any folk singer, it is the passion that matters and he seems to believes what he is singing, while possibly closing the bar to dodge tax!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:49pm
totally with him on the bar issue if it keeps the piss head gig collectors away, amount of gigs spoiled by mouthy drunks is massive.have a few before and after ffs.
Went to see rag n bone man in trinity last summer and one lass in front of us actually poured a pint all over herself looking at her watchLOL just beside her four locked Dublin girls singing along out of tune to every song, beside them six country lads shouting at the top of their voices about where the f**k their minibus home to waaaterford was parked, jaysus.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:49pm

I am not even sure if he uses AA, nor do I care, but his attitude 
I have seen him a couple of times and met a couple of times and he is,as FW said, a national treasure. I have no idea if his shows are still as good, but it is worth having to forego a few pints to see him. As with any folk singer, it is the passion that matters and he seems to believes what he is singing, while possibly closing the bar to dodge tax!

Any time I have seen him it’s only while he is performing that the bar is closed.  So it’s open pre and post gig.  Not sure of rules but I doubt it’s to avoid tax. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

totally with him on the bar issue if it keeps the puss head gig collectors away, amount of gigs spoiled by mouthy drunks is massive.have a few before and after ffs.
Went to see rag n bone man in trinity last summer and one lass in front of us actually poured a pint all over herself looking at her watchLOL just beside her four locked Dublin girls singing along out of tune to every song, beside them six country lads shouting at the top of their voices about where the f**k their minibus home to waaaterford was parked, jaysus.
I would have said that was acceptable behaviour at a gig like that!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:52pm

I am not even sure if he uses AA, nor do I care, but his attitude 

Any time I have seen him it’s only while he is performing that the bar is closed.  So it’s open pre and post gig.  Not sure of rules but I doubt it’s to avoid tax. 
I saw him twice in De Barra's in Clon, his nephew, who was a decent singer-songwriter himself, used to work there. You could nip out to the front bar at half-time, he gave ya ten minutes. It wasn't as regimented as made out.
I do agree with him about fellas singing along, I paid to hear him sing it!

-------------

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Seen him in Naas a few weeks ago, He was in great form talking to the audience . No issue with clapping or singing along  
Getting soft in his old age 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:57am
Loved the gig didn't find him cranky at all and no problem running to the Jacks during Songs also found him hilarious. All round legend hard to believe he's 73 and still at it 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net