Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=46143
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 10:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Schoolboy Match Roll Call
Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Subject: Schoolboy Match Roll Call
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 2:59pm
Was at my nephew's U14 NDSL game this morning, he is with Raheny United who are bottom and today they were playing Swords Celtic who are top. Before kick off Swords took it upon themselves to do a roll call on the Raheny players to make sure those players named were in fact who they said they were.

Is this where schoolboy clubs are going now where a top team are paranoid a struggling team will play bangers or pack a team? I thought this was appalling. Swords won 5-0 (harsh on our lads who battled gamely) but the pre-match sh*t really bugged me. When was this introduced and why is it tolerated?

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Replies:
Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:10pm
NDFL players all have ID cards
Not uncommon FW but your right it's bullsh*t
Any manager who players a banger in schoolboy football is a twat

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Sorry but I don't agree, firstly U14s is too results orientated instead of kids going out to play ball.

Off course all players should be properly registered but where teams are struggling to field teams is it better just to drop out of playing or throw in a banger to actually field a team.

I would far prefer to play a team with a couple of bangers than have a game called off

That's not condoning a team deliberately playing bangers / overage players etc when properly registered players are available

I know you need rules etc, but its taking things to extremes name checking players at U14

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: BoboDub
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:54pm
In all my years playing and involved in managing schoolboy football between the late 80s and 2002 I saw so many case of different kids of bangers it was unreal (I haven't been involved since then having become so disillusioned with how schoolboy football was run).

Sometimes they were bangers out of crisis (can't field a team unless players get in - usually but not always these players would be unattached and the right age level, but there would have been times older lads or lads registered with other clubs would have been played to ensure a fixture was sulfilled), sometimes they'd be out of desparation to get a result (either to win or to avoid a drubbing, usually this would involve older players), sometimes players would lie about their own age as they wanted the benefit of playing better at a younger level where they'd be more experienced and physically stronger.

It all always baffled me as those who did it would be the first to cry foul if they felt someone was doing it against them. 

The whole schoolboy schene (and probably the adult scene too) is riddled with this in my experience. 

I think an ID system is totally understandable in those circumstances.  All it takes for bad people to succeed is for good people to stand idly by.  The NDSL is an organised league, where people pay money in subscriptions and everyone expect fair play.  It's not like a kickaround in the park. 

While it is sad to have to resort to that, I don't think in the curcumstances it is extreme.  But I woul dbe saying the same room for everyone - the ref roll calls / ids all players for both teams pre-game.  Once everyone knows it's going to happen, there won't be anyone put off by it?

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by BoboDub BoboDub wrote:

In all my years playing and involved in managing schoolboy football between the late 80s and 2002 I saw so many case of different kids of bangers it was unreal (I haven't been involved since then having become so disillusioned with how schoolboy football was run).

Sometimes they were bangers out of crisis (can't field a team unless players get in - usually but not always these players would be unattached and the right age level, but there would have been times older lads or lads registered with other clubs would have been played to ensure a fixture was sulfilled), sometimes they'd be out of desparation to get a result (either to win or to avoid a drubbing, usually this would involve older players), sometimes players would lie about their own age as they wanted the benefit of playing better at a younger level where they'd be more experienced and physically stronger.

It all always baffled me as those who did it would be the first to cry foul if they felt someone was doing it against them. 

The whole schoolboy schene (and probably the adult scene too) is riddled with this in my experience. 

I think an ID system is totally understandable in those circumstances.  All it takes for bad people to succeed is for good people to stand idly by.  The NDSL is an organised league, where people pay money in subscriptions and everyone expect fair play.  It's not like a kickaround in the park. 

While it is sad to have to resort to that, I don't think in the curcumstances it is extreme.  But I woul dbe saying the same room for everyone - the ref roll calls / ids all players for both teams pre-game.  Once everyone knows it's going to happen, there won't be anyone put off by it?

Sorry but have to disagree, far too much emphasis put on winning at this age instead of continuing to improve ones skills etc.

At what age do you start ID and roll calls, U14, U12, U10?

Off course there should be no organised leagues below U14 in the first place.

IMO more important to get kids playing football for fun and learning skills than winning matches at U14.

-------------

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:07pm
as a parent id have been furious that my son in that squad had to be made line up and give his name on a roll call to an opposition manager/referee before a game.Talk about trying to intimidate a young ladd.Id have told the Swords manager he could f**k right off and we line out as selected.If he had any problem with that he could take it up with the league as all my players were registered.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:12pm
But if both teams had to do it every game it wouldn't be intimidating, it would just be part of the rules.  Having managed teams at a huge disadvantage because the opposition WAS playing bangers, and knowing how disenheartening a crushing defeat in those circumstances can be, I can see the beenfit to this.  If it was same rule for all I don't see the problem, particularly as, in my experience, there always was a huge amount of cheating and I assume there still is. 

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:21pm
Either the ref does it or nobody does it.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Sorry but I don't agree, firstly U14s is too results orientated instead of kids going out to play ball.

Off course all players should be properly registered but where teams are struggling to field teams is it better just to drop out of playing or throw in a banger to actually field a team.

I would far prefer to play a team with a couple of bangers than have a game called off

That's not condoning a team deliberately playing bangers / overage players etc when properly registered players are available

I know you need rules etc, but its taking things to extremes name checking players at U14

IMO competitive football should start at u14..nothing wrong with that
6-13 all about devolopment not results
So when do you think it should start being competitive ?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:32pm
15/16

Having managed at that level and often either struggle to get players or played teams struggling to get numbers Id prefer a game than no game....having said that I'd accept more stringent enforcement at the highest league levels but again if they were only starting competitive leagues at U14, you will have lopsided leagues unless you had some kind of preseason mini competitions to grade teams for the season.

Again there is also IMO a big difference between blatant cheating and trying to fulfil fixtures, and ive no answer what is the best way to enforce rules etc.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Either the ref does it or nobody does it.

This.

Opposition managers doing it will only serve further to imbue the youngsters with a totally counter-productive win at all costs mentality.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:36pm
I hear you GF
I think the ID roll call happens before most NDFL games
Open to correction but does the ref check all cards before game?
Have seen this before.

-------------

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:39pm
if its not a rule id get the raheny mgr to ring his swords counterpart to object if he hadn't already to his behaviour then id ring every other mgr of clubs in the league and ask them to say no to swords behaviour if they request that of any other team in future.
I remember the "big" schoolboy clubs always had subtle ways of trying to intimidate teams.This was a case in point imo.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 4:53pm
The Refs couldnt give a flying fcuk about bangers etc.
Its not in their remit.
Refs will openly tell you that they sent a player off one week and then Reffed the same player the following week under a different name.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm
Yeah it's up to the ref to line up the players and get them to show their ID's . Our 17's had to do it last week but didn't today. Don't see what the problem is wit doin it ....

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 5:33pm
Just to be clear its id-ing players I don't have a problem with. Absolutely the ref should be doing it, not opposition managers.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 5:51pm
I'm told Malahide did it to Raheny last week also. Doesn't happen every week. I'm sad schoolboy football is resorting to this paranoia and suspicion, particularly before a game even poxy starts.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 6:15pm
ID cards dont stop 14 year old Nigerians playing u11 with 'valid' birth certs !!!

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 6:32pm
Well I'm hoping Swords and Malahide will repeat this on a team that Raheny played elsewhere this season.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I'm told Malahide did it to Raheny last week also. Doesn't happen every week. I'm sad schoolboy football is resorting to this paranoia and suspicion, particularly before a game even poxy starts.

Do you think you might be underestimating how often cheating is happening?  I would be more worried about widespread cheating than validating people are legit, but I totally understand opposition managers should not be the people doing this.

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 7:57pm
While ye may feel aggrieved at this incident it surely doesn't make it a worthy of inclusion in the ROI section.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

While ye may feel aggrieved at this incident it surely doesn't make it a worthy of inclusion in the ROI section.

Why not? It happened in the Republic of Ireland! It concerns Irish Footballers who may one day play for the Republic of IrelandWink

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Why not? It happened in the Republic of Ireland! It concerns Irish Footballers who may one day play for the Republic of IrelandWink

that's what I call optimism LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:01pm
Makes a sh1te of the site opening threads all over the place.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:01pm

For Jaysus sake man, pedantic post of the year. Thumbs Down

Where the fook else can it go?

Bobodub, of course cheating is far more endemic and a worry, but today is the first time I've seen this and it just saddens me. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:05pm
It should go in rest of the world or whatever. This section is about the Irish international side. Who gives a fook if your nephew was asked his name in an u14 match ffs

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:13pm
If any manager told me he was taking a roll call of my team I'd tell him to go f**k himself.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

For Jaysus sake man, pedantic post of the yearThumbs Down

Where the fook else can it go?

Bobodub, of course cheating is far more endemic and a worry, but today is the first time I've seen this and it just saddens me. 

really ?LOL

Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Terracing is not permitted in internstionsl games. The 8reland fans in the lower tier in Cologne were sitting in what should have been the standing are if that males sense.

Amazingly, given the child like spelling and grammar, it does!

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If any manager told me he was taking a roll call of my team I'd tell him to go f**k himself.

Spot On MarkThumbs Up

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:18pm

It should go in rest of the world or whatever. This section is about the Irish international side. Who gives a fook if your nephew was asked his name in an u14 match ffs

Obviously all the posters who have responded. If you don't like it, don't read it Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:18pm

The mind truly boggles, contribute to the thread or say nothing.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:21pm
Spot on Gerk and FW, some lads have little to be moaning about.

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:39pm
Never knew this was introduced back home , player passes are the Norm here  picture and DOB passes are given to the ref before the match and He compares  them with the Team Sheets , The Ref and nobody else is allowed to Check these !Picture cant be tampered with as there are two rivets in the Pass .

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:41am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I coach U11s in NDSL and we have i.d. cards for each player. I generally couldnt give a sh*t and never ask for it to be done but some other managers do and some refs make us do it. 

You basically swap all the cads and say here have a look at this if you want. Players line up and you call out their name and they step forward. Ive yet to have one child come up to me and say I didnt enjoy that so whats the issue? Its a two minute process before the game. Its only a process that shows they are doing something to stop bangers paying etc. Be worse if they were doing nothing else. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:47am
If something like this is happening it hould be contolled by the respective leagues and administered by the refs imo. Opposition managers being able to call out players is ridiculous. This all stinks of yet another half arsed botch job to try and eradicate wrongdoing.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:51am
If I recall last year refs were payed an extra few Euro to do this aswell. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 3:24pm
Check out the size of the black kid in Herald Striker pg11
In Skerries team pic,monster u14!!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:41pm

Ha Ha one of the black lads on my team is 10 and is a size 7 in boots 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:54pm

He drives to/from matches.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:42pm
Putting aside the whole u14 competitive football thing for a second. Thumbs Down

It could be for insurance purposes that every player on the pitch needs to be who they say they are. I played in an Astro league and for one of the games a team had a player playing who wants registered with the squad. He got a pretty bad injury during the game and while the ambulance was coming the 999 person wanted to know his name for when he arrived at the hospital ... he refused to give his name when asked at first and people knew it didn't match the team sheet. He had to give his real name in the end of course but it got messy.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 9:57pm
Yeah, that's 100% correct Showgies. It's a reg/insurance issue. But you look after your own team. The other team is not your business.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net