Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=45663
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 12:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How do you feel right now?
Posted By: Humpy Gussy
Subject: How do you feel right now?
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:13am
Just thought it'd be interesting to record how individual fans are feeling themselves in the aftermath of tonight and the last weekend.

Me; I've gone from nervous but eagerly optimistic on Friday afternoon, to anger post-match on Friday afternoon. Right now I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. I feel very  annoyed that this campaign has been what it has. I do have a slight sense of relief I guess at the prospect of something new but the negativity that surrounds the team at the minute is certainly contageous. Have to say, the trigger-happy statement from the FAI has pissed me off a bit. Waiting another 12 hours till morning would've done them no harm. Even though Trap certainly deserves to go, it stinks of the unsubtle 'distancing themselves' that the FAI did after Cyprus 2007 when Stan (again, deservedly) got the boot.

For me its more than just missing out on Rio - hugely disappointing and all that it is - its a whole lot more than the missed tournament. That seems slightly secondary at the minute, Although I don't prescribe to the Brady nonsense that we've no good players coming through, I think the next few years are going to be tough enough and Euro 2016 - which I personally thought would be straightforward enough for us to get to -  seems a bit further away right now.

Anyone else...

-------------
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM

Replies:
Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:16am
A strange combination of tired, pissed off, disappointed and horny.

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: thenewguyis back
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:18am
pretty much exactly how i feel you summed it up right there.

I didn't share your opinion about the trigger happy statement, part of me wondered would they keep him til june so i was actually pleased when i read it, but when you put it like that then yes another 12 hours would not have hurt anyone

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:20am
Sad...empty...but looking forward to a new era that might take five years...might take ten years

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:23am
What hurts the most is comparing our performance vs England to the games over the past 4 days.
The difference is night and day.

We knew from the start we had probably the 2nd hardest group out the lot (1st being the group which contains Spain and France) but we dropped 4 points against a team who we should be beating anyday.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:26am
Bad worse seeing all the people who want Martin O'Neill or Roy Keane to take over the job.   

Posted By: Spudgunn1980
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:32am
I didn't think we would qualify from this group from the start so not bitterly disappointed. Very pissed off with the way we went down without a fight though. Glad that it spells the end of the Trap era, albeit 12 months later than it should have ended. On the plus side, I've just come off the beach after a day of sunbathing and swimming in the Carribean Sea. Maybe that's after tempering some of my anger about our performances!!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:33am
I had made my peace the brazil adventure wont be happening over the weekend so feeling not too bad.
A change is needed and now it will come

Posted By: benboview
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:35am
Relieved.

The charlatan is nearly gone.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:36am
Tipsy.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Sick but not surprised.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Ginzo
hoping we dont appoint a new manager until after the campaign. imagine a new managers first game being an away game to germany without key players and then playing kazakstan in an empty aviva. no feel good factor,no momentum.  id put a caretaker in for those two games and then make an official appointment.

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:51am
I still held out hope to be honest even after the Sweden result came in. Tiny, sh*tty little bit of hope that I factor into too many aspects of my life. 

Decided to do an SHL data assessment test there now for a trainee train driver job that I really really really want and think i've probably ballsed that up as well, so I'm ina bad place right now. 

Think Ron Burgundy when he is stumbling through the streets of San Francisco swalling a lukewarm pint of milk after he lost his job, I'm that f**king low.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

I still held out hope to be honest even after the Sweden result came in. Tiny, sh*tty little bit of hope that I factor into too many aspects of my life. 

Decided to do an SHL data assessment test there now for a trainee train driver job that I really really really want and think i've probably ballsed that up as well, so I'm ina bad place right now

Think Ron Burgundy when he is stumbling through the streets of San Francisco swalling a lukewarm pint of milk after he lost his job, I'm that f**king low.

LOL Jaysus man. Think that's where the line between life and sport should probably be drawn.

Know the feeling though. I missed Paris 2009 because I had parent-teacher meetings all the next day (having book the trip before finding out the PT meeting schedules!). Not sure I was the most amiable chap the next day. Luckily I'm off tomorrow. Plan on spending the day recovering from a night of sh*te beer and on watching the aftermath of the WC campaign unfold on the internet. Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Il Trap Il Trap wrote:

Decided to do an SHL data assessment test there now for a trainee train driver job that I really really really want and think i've probably ballsed that up as well, so I'm ina bad place right now

LOL Jaysus man. Think that's where the line between life and sport should probably be drawn.

Know the feeling though. I missed Paris 2009 because I had parent-teacher meetings all the next day (having book the trip before finding out the PT meeting schedules!). Not sure I was the most amiable chap the next day. Luckily I'm off tomorrow. Plan on spending the day recovering from a night of sh*te beer and on watching the aftermath of the WC campaign unfold on the internet. Unhappy

I got asked to do the test on Friday and had always planned to do it tonight as I only got back from Ireland last night so the two aren't linked really. It was some online bollix, stage three (of five) in the application process. Just have a bad feeling about the thing although I'm probably down because of the football. Anyway they don't give you the results so hopefully my sense of doom is a football thing and i'll be driving city boys from deepest darkest Berkshire into Paddington and whistling the 'Rocky Road to Rio' before long......oh wait!!

Posted By: kelvin
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:24am
Not as disappointed as on Friday. That's the game that truly killed it off in my opinion. The players looked like they knew it was over after that and it was a proper kick in the nuts.

Hate the fact we've two (pretty much) pointless games coming up now. Can't work out all the time but I did figure we had a chance of doing a much better job than this.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:25am

Originally posted by Il Trap Il Trap wrote:

I got asked to do the test on Friday and had always planned to do it tonight as I only got back from Ireland last night so the two aren't linked really. It was some online bollix, stage three (of five) in the application process. Just have a bad feeling about the thing although I'm probably down because of the football. Anyway they don't give you the results so hopefully my sense of doom is a football thing and i'll be driving city boys from deepest darkest Berkshire into Paddington and whistling the 'Rocky Road to Rio' before long......oh wait!!

Well good luck with that anyway. Ireland games on the eve of an important day in the real world aren't generally ideal. Think we all find that out at some point. LOL

-------------

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:27am
was living on hope too, even after the Sweden game, was thinking if we beat Austria ya never know we could go to Germany and nick a famous win, lol.

just gutted right now. a year of meaningless games is depressing after the elation and hope of last year.

praying mon doesn't get the job

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

A strange combination of tired, pissed off, disappointed and horny.

so true!

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:45am
Nothing could equal the feeling in Paris 09 inside that stadium, the emotions were horrible, this is easier to take slightly as we have been sh*te all campaign and didnt get robbed by a stupid decision from the referee.

I do think that we would have struggled under any manager this campaign but possibly would have been closer to second spot than what we are, time to move on and put this campaign to forget behind us, too many lows.

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:58am
a bit p1ssed off actually , not least because I decided to wait until Cologne rather than Vienna.....Cologne will be a bit of a damp squib but it's all paid for now and the holidays have been requested so I'll go anyway . ...anyone having second thougths on going after thel ast 2 performances ?

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:03am
So depressed its unreal. Had been looking forward to the last weekfor last few months and we put in two shocking performances. Having 2nd thoughts on cologne as well only have outward journey booked

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:31am
Had given up on qualification long long ago

TBH, Im just glad this qualifying debacle is finally over

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:45am
Gutted for the fans who travelled to witness such clueless, shapeless sh*te.

Embarrassment at being associated with such primitive tactics.

Angry that players who might made a difference were omitted.

Sad that Trap's era is ending in rancor rather than respect.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: bananarepublic
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:00am
I have a feeling of "Meh"...after the euros I didnt expect us to get second in the group we had.
Our performances were all flat and lifeless and the trips to lansdowne were mostly big anticlimaxes.
Had resigned myself to watching the failure slowly unravel and the media circus that will follow.

As someone posted in another thread the other day..."Its the hope that kills you"

Thats all that was keeping me going..a glimmer of hope that messes you up and makes you think irrational thoughts like we could actually get wins against Sweden and Austria.

Now I just feel..ok its done..thanks and good luck Trap..who will we get next etc etc

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:09am
As early as the German thumping I never thought we would qualify
Felt little emotion watching that last night
Was all a bit,surreal..without getting too deep

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:11am
Feel grand.
Wasnt expecting much so wasnt too disappointed.
Both Sweden and Austria are muck but we are mucker with a clueless manager.

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:15am
It had for me the same felling as when we played Cyprus at home under Stan...everyone knew the game was up,players and fans pissed off and total confusion on and off the field.....with a manger desperately trying to keep some dignity....all in all a shambles really.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Felt little emotion watching that last night

Strangely enough I was the same, the inevitability of failure no matter what happened probably contributed.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:28am
Frustrated - the last year to 15 months has been a waste, in hindsight. Persisting with these prehistoric methods and joke of a 'system'. In hindsight again, this campaign should have been used as a rebuilding period

Hopeful - a new manager will mean a new start, hopefully putting pride back in the jersey, getting all players pulling in the right direction, putting our best XI on the pitch, get bigger crowds at matches with a better atmosphere as we'll surely be playing a better style of football, and hopefully making us hard to beat and capable of taking the odd big scalp (maybe being too hopeful here)

Slightly concerned - goalkeepeing situation. Age of our centre backs and standard of those who will replace them. No-one to replace Robbies goals. No quality partner for James McCarthy 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:33am
If i'm brutally honest i'm glad its come to an end.

I posted at the outset of qualifying that we'd finish 4th in the group and don't take any pleasure in being right. It was blatantly obvious that the man knew the writing was on the wall and was looking after his pension fund.

The FAI took a massive gamble in giving trap a new contract and it went pear shaped. Maybe the FAI might think again about allowing a private individual fund the national team managers salary.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:41am
Feel a good bit better after reading this,
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/euro-2016-qualifying-draw-seedings-see-pg-16_topic31785_page16.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/euro-2016-qualifying-draw-seedings-see-pg-16_topic31785_page16.html

Posted By: nice triangles
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:04am
Realistically we were finished after the home game to Germany. It wasn't just the three points lost but the way we lost that game, there is a right way to lose a game and a wrong way. If Germany wanted to they could have scored 7, 8 or 9 that night. Nothing was right in the squad and everything was wrong.
I was never more pessimistic going into the home Sweden game, we had been awful at home in this campaign and there was nothing to suggest that anything was going to change.
Last night was poor stuff, there was only one decent player on the field and he made the difference.
How do I feel?... relieved it is over but frustrated and disappointed that this has been a wasted campaign. We are not at the level of Germany but we definitely should be competing with the likes of Sweden and Austria. Dropping four points to each of these sides is playing way below the level of our players and the responsibility for this must fall at the feet of the management.
We should be going into these last two games fighting for second spot and then crossing the fingers for a half decent draw in the play offs. We are out with two games yet to play.
How do I feel now .... hopeful ...because there is always hope. A new campaign awaits in a little over a year.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:15am
The forum today feels like a bit of a self help group !
Knew last night was probably coming - Still gutted.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:41am
I think looking for someone to blame really !!! Discussed the recent plan to reduce the number of foreigners in the Premier League and the possible  effects it would have on the Irish national Team and I came to a conclusion that it may not be a bad thing if players stayed here (league of Ireland ) a bit longer it would make the league a bit stronger or if players moved to continental Europe to the likes of the Dutch and Belgian leagues they maybe develop in to better technical players. It is no coincidence that Wales, Scotland, NI and ourselves had abysmal world cup qualifying campaigns when we all depend so much on the English system. I honestly think our grassroots football isn't that bad but as players develop they are thrown into the English system of playing the game. If anyone saw the highlights of the England v Ukraine game last night they were muck to watch.  

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:51am
Sad to see him go in this manner...he brought us on some jouney...

Now the merrygoround of hope restarts wit da new manager

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:52am
Im of mixed emotions. Feel like an old relative has passed away or something. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:53am

EU employment rights guarantee freedom of movement between states so a cap on foreign players would be of limited effect.

From an Irish perspective the lack of Irish players with top clubs is worrying. We have four players at top six clubs in EPL (all at Everton) and only one player in the CL (Stokes).

The JM Bosman rule has totally transformed how clubs look at recruiting players and nowadays those clubs with academies have kids from all over the globe when previously it was usually kids from GB and I with the knock on effect for the development of young irish and british players.

The challange we have is how to maximise or perforances with the players at our disposal.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:53am
Houghton - Get left anything in the will ?

-------------

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Houghton - Get left anything in the will ?

Yes, unlimited access to Manuelas services

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm
hungover as fook. Bit of the horn as well. Ye know yourself 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:11pm
on the train back, hanging, gutted and dreading listening to the Austrians sl*gging us off for the next few months   

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:15pm
Disappointed that we wont get to play at another WC finals.
Not disappointed Trap's gone. Was tired of the excessive hoof ball tactic. When Robbie said last weekend that we've always played that way, it was not quite true, as previous encumbents since Charlton, have at least tried to that we keep the ball, albeit in a limited fashion. Watching us at home had become torturous.

However, I'm sad that we do not have the kind of quality that we've had in the past and no matter who the new manager is that comes in, it will take a little rebuilding to get us back competitive again. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net