Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=45036
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 6:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bitcoin, Crypto and Stocks
Posted By: fochie
Subject: Bitcoin, Crypto and Stocks
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 9:51am
A cyber currency with no banks at the helm that is being worked on by some of the worlds 
most ethical economists who are not bank/stock market affiliated.Eircoin is the Irish broker.Thumbs Up
http://https://www.weusecoins.com/en/" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.weusecoins.com/en/

Replies:
Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 11:39am
Interesting. The mining is intriguing. Could you get a heap of people to use their computers unused memory to mine into the one account? Do people make money out of this?

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 12:35pm
I've looked at a few things about this, still don't get it like most financial workings. It has it supporters and some detractors. Hope it works out though as the idea is great. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 12:40pm
Check out Darkmarket by Mischa Glenny (McMafia), interesting incite on cyber finance...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 1:27pm
it extemely volatile and its main purpose until very recently was to buy drugs online

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

it extemely volatile and its main purpose until very recently was to buy drugs online

True.Although the same can be said for the transactions of any illegal trade,If the Demand is there, 
the supply will follow regardless of the currency.
As for the volatility,It should settle as time passes imo.
Tis a 'we will see' scenario worth keeping an eye on.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Interesting. The mining is intriguing. Could you get a heap of people to use their computers unused memory to mine into the one account? Do people make money out of this?

http://startbitcoin.com" rel="nofollow - http://startbitcoin.com

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I've looked at a few things about this, still don't get it like most financial workings. It has it supporters and some detractors. Hope it works out though as the idea is great. 
To be honest Bob Im no guru on it myself,Keiser has been brought in to give ideas 
on stabilising it. Hes a big fan of it.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 10:17pm
Aye Foochie Max Kesiler has a about a million quid in Bitcoins. The big financial companies hate the idea, so as the article mentions at the end we'll hear stories that using bitcoin will fund Al Qaeda, and drugs and blah blah blah.

Interesting article here.

More Irish firms to accept virtual currency Bitcoin instead of euro

• http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/more-irish-firms-to-accept-virtual-currency-bitcoin-instead-of-euro-29881439.html" rel="nofollow - Email
  • http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/more-irish-firms-to-accept-virtual-currency-bitcoin-instead-of-euro-29881439.html" rel="nofollow - Print
  • http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/more-irish-firms-to-accept-virtual-currency-bitcoin-instead-of-euro-29881439.html" rel="nofollow - Font Size

bitcoin />
bitcoin

Sarah McCabe and Natasha Doff – 02 January 2014

WHAT do Offaly B&B The Ring, Dublin phone shop GSM Mobile and Wexford CCTV company Visiconnect have in commonn?

They are all on a growing list of Irish businesses who will accept virtual currency Bitcoin from customers instead of euro.

From Berlin record store Long Player to the Flower Lab, a florist in Santa Monica, California, more and more retailers are accepting Bitcoin as consumers increasingly buy into the currency, pushing up its value.

There are about 12.2million Bitcoins in circulation, bought and sold online and not controlled by any government or central bank. The cryptocurrency emerged in 2008, founded by an unknown programmer. As of Tuesday, one Bitcoin fetched about $757 (€550).

While online payments for everything from university tuition fees to gummy bears aren't unusual, over-the-counter transactions are just beginning to become popular.

Now the virtual currency can buy olive oil in Spain or vodka shots in Moscow as consumers seek ways to spend the digital money. In the past month, the number of businesses on CoinMap, a website showing physical companies and vendors accepting Bitcoin, has tripled to more than 2,100.

The Bitcoin Association of Ireland, which was set up in 2013 to promote awareness of the currency and the companies who accept it as a form of payment, currently lists nine businesses where Irish consumers can spend their Bitcoin. These include an electronic cigarette supplier and bedding company as well as the previously mentioned B&B, phone shop and CCTV centre.

While the non-profit organisation has no official regulatory role, it offers help and advice to Irish businesses interested in accepting Bitcoin and encourages the use of consumer-friendly codes of practice. In the UK, there are about 160 physical retailers who accept Bitcoins. Late last month, Reaney's Burger Bear became London's first street food vendor to accept the virtual currency. Within three weeks about 50 customers had used the facility, paying him by making a transfer with their smartphones.

RETAILERS

"I wasn't expecting all the fuss when I said I would accept Bitcoins, but a lot of people have jumped on it," Reaney said.

But government restrictions prevent UK retailers from adopting Bitcoins on a larger scale, according to Chris Skinner, director of the Financial Services Club and head of Balatro, a research firm in London. "Banks are running scared of money-laundering regulations and Bitcoin is primarily associated in the government's mind with avoidance of tax and potentially fuelling and funding terrorism and drug running," said Mr Skinner.

The European Banking Authority is now weighing whether to regulate virtual currencies, a decision that could make or break wider-scale use by retailers. The banking regulator warned on December 13 that users risk theft and lack protection from losses if their virtual exchange collapses.

Bitcoins have been known to lose or gain more than a quarter of their value in a single day.

Irish Independent

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 2:49pm
I can see more and more companies jumping on it,Maybe an Idea to invest in a few if you have the spare dosh "resting in your A/C".
Thumbs Up

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 3:07pm
sounds like cross between a south sea bubble and magic beans

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 4:38pm
We'd all be rich if only...

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:00pm
Sounds like a total scam. Cash is king.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:10pm
This threads is from a good few years ago, I wonder what bitcoin was worth back then Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:24pm
I think I will try going into Curry's tomorrow and buy a top of the range 52 inch telly and then buy a new BMW.  I presume they will accept Bitcoin?  No?  That's ok I prefer to deal in my own make believe money called TJ's.  I started selling them online and so far you can get 2 TJ's to the British Pound.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/what-is-bitcoin-and-how-does-it-work-1.3322973" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/what-is-bitcoin-and-how-does-it-work-1.3322973

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:46pm
I invested in some Iota coins last week. The next big thing so I'm told.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 11:20pm

This threads is from a good few years ago, I wonder what bitcoin was worth back then Cry

€550

Posted By: Reildogg
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The only people who use cash are money launderers and drug dealers

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

The only people who use cash are money launderers and drug dealers
Hummmm you know TJ then ?

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:44pm
Brother in law invested €50k in it at the start of the year (his life savings). Worth over €425k at the moment

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:50pm
Sell Sell Sell.......

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Brother in law invested €50k in it at the start of the year (his life savings). Worth over €425k at the moment
No risk no gain, would of took a lot of balls.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Sell Sell Sell.......

Absolutely, that's what my advice would be. Buy a gaf and be mortgage free for life. But he reckons he'll end up being a multi millionaire from this so is going to hang on to them.

I also advised him not to go near them back in January when he invested so he's probably taking my current advice with a pinch of salt LOL

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

No risk no gain, would of took a lot of balls.

Yeah exactly. I'd never have the cojonas to do something like that so fair play to him.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:56pm

Sell Sell Sell.......

Absolutely, that's what my advice would be. Buy a gaf and be mortgage free for life. But he reckons he'll end up being a multi millionaire from this so is going to hang on to them.

I also advised him not to go near them back in January when he invested so he's probably taking my current advice with a pinch of salt LOL

Millionaire Postie LOLClap

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:59pm

Surely the shot here is to cash out half the bitcoin now and let the rest mature. 

That way you have your initial outlay of €50k recouped plus €162,500 in profit and you still have €215k worth of bitcoin

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:01pm
Does your brother in law has a Revolut card though Gaz?  That is THE question.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Surely the shot here is to cash out half the bitcoin now and let the rest mature. 

That way you have your initial outlay of €50k recouped plus €162,500 in profit and you still have €215k worth of bitcoin

Yeah - his brain doesn't work like that. He reckons it will keep going up and up so why cash out now

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:03pm

Does your brother in law has a Revolut card though Gaz?  That is THE question.

Funnily enough TJ you can actually transfer your cash in to Bitcoin using the Revolut App now Clap

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:29pm
Would be worth at least getting his 50k back at least.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hey I would also HB, but then again I would have never have gambled my whole life savings .
 I would say yer man in in for the long haul .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hey I would also HB, but then again I would have never have gambled my whole life savings .
 I would say yer man in in for the long haul .

I doubt there will be a long haul.

Id probably take out 200K and clear it off the mortgage or if I didnt have one take out a similar amount and buy a gaff.Even in Dublin 200K towards a mortgage is a huge burden to have off your shoulders.

200K into long term more stable investments another option.Bitcoin is probably once in a life time investment ,hope he gets out with as much money as possible.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:47pm

Fair balls on that ladClap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:51pm

I think I will try going into Curry's tomorrow and buy a top of the range 52 inch telly and then buy a new BMW.  I presume they will accept Bitcoin?  No?  That's ok I prefer to deal in my own make believe money called TJ's.  I started selling them online and so far you can get 2 TJ's to the British Pound.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/what-is-bitcoin-and-how-does-it-work-1.3322973" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/what-is-bitcoin-and-how-does-it-work-1.3322973

the only thing that your posts shows is your own ignorance Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: randyrandolph
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Fair balls on that ladClap

i hope he has cashed out.

is he aware of the tax he'll pay on sale? 

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:53pm

Yeah - his brain doesn't work like that. He reckons it will keep going up and up so why cash out now

FFS, total gambler mentality LOL

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm
Does his Mrs know about this? Sounds like an outrageous risk to take with his life savings.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 4:48pm

the only thing that your posts shows is your own ignorance Embarrassed

So I am putting you down for 2,000 TJ's via Revolut?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:09pm
Throw in 1 x Mouth Wank and the deal is sealed

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:11pm
http://uk.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-pizza-10000-100-million-2017-11" rel="nofollow - http://uk.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-pizza-10000-100-million-2017-11

Someone in 2010 bought 2 pizzas with 10,000 bitcoins — which today would be worth $100 million

Crazy stuff

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:16pm

Throw in 1 x Mouth Wank and the deal is sealed

I'm a busy man.  You wan't these TJ coins or what?  2000 coins is going to cost you 4,000 euro now because in the time you were arsing about they grew in value 5000%  

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:28pm

Exactly. He can bank an absolutely tidy sum now on what is looking like a classic bubble: an asset of dubious intrinsic value being traded solely on the basis of its potential appreciation in value.

It's f**king Wolf of Wall Street stuff at the minute: he's definitely best advised to take some of that cash out. Were it me having held off this long, I'd definitely take €200k of it out now and, if it keeps going up, another €20k per month for the next few months.

I know the general advice has been that sticking is bad but the longer he sticks, the more he stands to lose rather than gain. This isn't a cash out from Paddypower for €60 on a €10 acca, it's genuine, life changing, mortgage clearing cash.

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Exactly. He can bank an absolutely tidy sum now on what is looking like a classic bubble: an asset of dubious intrinsic value being traded solely on the basis of its potential appreciation in value.

It's f**king Wolf of Wall Street stuff at the minute: he's definitely best advised to take some of that cash out. Were it me having held off this long, I'd definitely take €200k of it out now and, if it keeps going up, another €20k per month for the next few months.

I know the general advice has been that sticking is bad but the longer he sticks, the more he stands to lose rather than gain. This isn't a cash out from Paddypower for €60 on a €10 acca, it's genuine, life changing, mortgage clearing cash.

As a gambler I’d be getting out now. You have to have to know when to take a win. And as someone who’s watched bitcoin with interest I’d be getting out now too.
Fair play to your man tho, life changing decision & massive bollox to go n do it

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

As a gambler I’d be getting out now. You have to have to know when to take a win. And as someone who’s watched bitcoin with interest I’d be getting out now too.
Fair play to your man tho, life changing decision & massive bollox to go n do it

A gambler would be holding on to bigger gains!!
It all depends on your attitude to risk.
If it was me I would be selling out 50% of it but I wouldn't have put my live savings on it in the first place.

How do you know it wont go to $25K in the next month, or $50K next year.
What you dont want to be is the last person to buy it!!!

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 6:29pm
As the songs goes 

"You've got to know when to hold 'em 
Know when to fold 'em."

The smart move is to take some cash now,gambler or not.

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:50pm
It's a 15 or 25 year investment imo, by that stage we will all be using it Wink

the facebook of currency will devour every threat it sees LOL

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:53pm
How is it a currency. There is nothing to back it up.  Real currencies have gold etc to back it up.  Sounds like a total make believe story unlike my currency which has gone up in value again.

-------------

Posted By: Whelo79
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:56pm
If he invested €50k in January I'd guess he's worth closer to the €1m already. The price in Jan was between $750 and $1000 depending on when he bought. It's at $17k as of today. €50k might have bought around 60 bitcoin. Total now of $1,020,000.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:39am

I'm not a fan of the man but Jordan Belfort is speaking sense here. 

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2017/12/11/qmb-wolf-of-wall-street-jordan-belfort-warns-about-bitcoin.cnnmoney/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2017/12/11/qmb-wolf-of-wall-street-jordan-belfort-warns-about-bitcoin.cnnmoney/index.html

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:03am
Who regulates it?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:08am

Who regulates it?

It's an unregulated market at the moment afaik

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:10am
I read up a little on it over the last day or so.  The founder(s) of it are anonymous. Just a tad shady.  Why is that I wonder? 

How does one cash in their bitcoin for proper money like Euro?  From what Iread you have to find some other lad online to buy them off you.

Is it just me or is it like buying thin air that someone says has a value and that value is going up?

Also what the f**k is ''mining bitcoin''?Wacko

There are other cryptocurrencies like TJ Coins to invest in now too.

-------------

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Does his Mrs know about this? Sounds like an outrageous risk to take with his life savings.

A single fella I'd imagine, what attached man has 50k in life savings LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:32am

I read up a little on it over the last day or so.  The founder(s) of it are anonymous. Just a tad shady.  Why is that I wonder? 

How does one cash in their bitcoin for proper money like Euro?  From what Iread you have to find some other lad online to buy them off you.

Is it just me or is it like buying thin air that someone says has a value and that value is going up?

Bitcoin found a niche for allowing people to make transactions online which were difficult to trace. So if you wanted to buy/sell drugs, guns, whatever on the internet then you could do so relatively anonymously. There are ethical issues at play and I'd imagine that's why the founders are happy enough to fly under the radar. 

The thing that would concern me is that they are purposely not producing more Bitcoin. So you have a increasingly massive global interest in it (demand) set against a small and not growing supply. Obviously prices skyrocket under those conditions. And that leads to further demand but still no more supply. 

That's a bubble. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:36am

Bitcoin found a niche for allowing people to make transactions online which were difficult to trace. So if you wanted to buy/sell drugs, guns, whatever on the internet then you could do so relatively anonymously. There are ethical issues at play and I'd imagine that's why the founders are happy enough to fly under the radar. 

The thing that would concern me is that they are purposely not producing more Bitcoin. So you have a increasingly massive global interest in it (demand) set against a small and not growing supply. Obviously prices skyrocket under those conditions. And that leads to further demand but still no more supply. 

That's a bubble. 

But Bitcoin doesn't exist in any physical form so it's like buying a limited supply of thin air.  That's my interpretation of it anyway. 

It's confusing shady area imo.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:47am
"So you have a increasingly massive global interest in it (demand) set against a small and not growing supply" - From what I understand, this isn't quite true. There is a cap on the total number of Bitcoins that can exist (Think it might be 21 Million though could be wrong) but they have not all been mined yet.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:49am

I could well be wrong on that point alright Borussia. My understanding of the subject is mainly gleaned from pub talk with unreliable punters. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

"So you have a increasingly massive global interest in it (demand) set against a small and not growing supply" - From what I understand, this isn't quite true. There is a cap on the total number of Bitcoins that can exist (Think it might be 21 Million though could be wrong) but they have not all been mined yet.

Yes that's what I read.  Does this sound like Pokemon Go for investors?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:54am

I could well be wrong on that point alright Borussia. My understanding of the subject is mainly gleaned from pub talk with unreliable punters. 

Wouldn't call myself any sort of an expert either ! Somebody told me this morning they were considering buying Ripple : I obviously asked them if it was Strawberry or Raspberry. 

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:08pm
You can still mine bitcoin but the computing power needed to do so it crazy. People buy specialist mining rigs. The idea was it was easy to do in the beginning and the complexity and resource needed would grow and grow. I think at current rate the last one will be mined in 2147 or something.

Interesting this week that CBOE and CME are launching futures in this. Its an unprecedented 'Legitimacy' for want of a better word given to a Crypto. It means institutional investors can get involved and you can hedge against the bubble bursting. Which in theory would control crazy price rises.

Goldman Sachs appear a bit ahead of the game here ( or taking a massive gamble - based on your POV ) by setting up a specialist Crypto trading desk 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

You can still mine bitcoin but the computing power needed to do so it crazy. People buy specialist mining rigs. The idea was it was easy to do in the beginning and the complexity and resource needed would grow and grow. I think at current rate the last one will be mined in 2147 or something.

Interesting this week that CBOE and CME are launching futures in this. Its an unprecedented 'Legitimacy' for want of a better word given to a Crypto. It means institutional investors can get involved and you can hedge against the bubble bursting. Which in theory would control crazy price rises.

Goldman Sachs appear a bit ahead of the game here ( or taking a massive gamble - based on your POV ) by setting up a specialist Crypto trading desk 

They could have saved themselves a lot of hassle but just getting a Revolut card.

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm

That's a bubble. 

any currency by its nature has to be scarce and of finite supply.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:28pm
Some clarity on the bro in law:

- he's single yeah. No woman would let you gamble your life savings

- he has 30 bitcoins. He started buying them in Jan and has bought some after that. Total investment was 50 grand

- can't see him selling. He's adamant it will keep rising. I reckon it's gonna plummet in the near future but sure what do I know

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:59pm
Interesting thread on Reddit about this from september. This lad in the UK cashed out his 4 million in bitcoin all at once without getting any advice.Seems like it was a big mistake.He now has to pay 15% tax (£600,000) to the UK government.If he'd moved to other EU countries like the Netherlands or Germany for a while it would have only been 61,000 tax there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6w5c0v/i_have_sold_over_4m_worth_of_bitcoin_how_to/" rel="nofollow - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6w5c0v/i_have_sold_over_4m_worth_of_bitcoin_how_to/

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:19am

How is it a currency. There is nothing to back it up.  Real currencies have gold etc to back it up.  Sounds like a total make believe story unlike my currency which has gone up in value again.

There is nothing to back up any currency, only the belief we put in a piece of paper which is intrinsically worthless in itself. If that belief switches to bitcoin, or if enough people believe in the value of it, it's as good a currency as any of the rest of them. 

Gold as currency has always confused the fcuk out of me, that too, as a metal, while not completely useless (it's anti corrosive properties are useful in the electrical industry) is only worth anything because of a historical value ascribed to it by important people of the time, Kings and the like, who admired shiny stuff and it's relative rarity. As a metal, there are far more practical ones, so essentially, it has its value because we aren't all that far up the evolutionary chain from magpies, who also like shiny stuff. 

Back to barter after the revolution I suppose. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

There is nothing to back up any currency, only the belief we put in a piece of paper which is intrinsically worthless in itself. If that belief switches to bitcoin, or if enough people believe in the value of it, it's as good a currency as any of the rest of them. 

Gold as currency has always confused the fcuk out of me, that too, as a metal, while not completely useless (it's anti corrosive properties are useful in the electrical industry) is only worth anything because of a historical value ascribed to it by important people of the time, Kings and the like, who admired shiny stuff and it's relative rarity. As a metal, there are far more practical ones, so essentially, it has its value because we aren't all that far up the evolutionary chain from magpies, who also like shiny stuff. 

My understanding is that real currencies have Gold in the country's vaults to back up a certain amount of money.  Banks can then 'create' money on the basis that not all the money in the bank will be withdrawn at an one time and they can play around with that leeway.   But in a crisis they have a certain percentage of gold to fall back on which will always hold value like land.   Printing money doesn't work as far as I know to create wealth. 

Bitcoin has no physical essence at all.  Somebody made up something one day like TJ Coin and said these are valuable and people started buying them.   You can't even withdraw your money is that right?  You have to find someone to buy it off you.  There doesn't seem to be an institution.

It's like buying fairy dust.  I just don't get it at all.

P.S. I don't know why gold is precious either tbh.  But its at least something you can hold in your hand and barter with. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:51am
Gold has been decoupled from paper currency since the 60's or 70's I think, though you are right about the origins of the banks having to store some in vaults etc. That no longer applies, as far as I know. 

But tis still all the one really, as we have ascribed a value to gold which is arbitrary. In supply & demand terms, gold, like anything else, is worth whatever it is worth, but that's still only because there is a demand for it, 90% of which has zero practical value (10% is used in the electrical industry). If you aren't an electrical engineer, there isn't a hell of a lot you can do with gold only make jewelry out of it. 

Extreme, but in an apopalyptic scenario, where survivors of a worldwide flood or nuclear war are looking to build shelter for themselves, and jewelry is the last thing on their minds, what's gold worth in that scenario, in comparison to 10 tonnes of steel bars, or even a warehouse full of wooden logs ? Pretty much fcuk all, which means its intrinsic worth is pretty much fcuk all now as well. 

-------------

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:18am
Still one of the best conpiracy theories LOL

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/162186-strauss-kahn-framed-over-missing-fort-knox-gold.html

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:34am
Remember the movie The Big Short, Christian Bales character who predicted the property crash in the states using analytics, invested all the cash he made into water. Scary times ahead

-------------
Getting old and intolerant

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Sorry to piss on your grapes there Deise

Magpies don’t like shiny things

BY 
12:30PM, AUGUST 26, 2014
magpie

Magpies have a reputation for thievery and are supposedly fond of shiny things. A new study finds no evidence of that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbern/" rel="nofollow - STEFAN BERNDTSSON /FLICKR ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/" rel="nofollow - CC BY 2.0 )

Magpies deserve our apology. Apparently humans have been unnecessarily maligning the birds for centuries. They actually aren’t attracted to shiny things, and they’re probably not thieves, Toni Shephard and colleagues at the University of Exeter  http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10071-014-0794-4" rel="nofollow - report  in the August Animal Cognition.

The birds have a reputation for stealing jewelry and other bright objects. Look in the  https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=magpie" rel="nofollow - American Heritage Dictionary and you’ll find a definition of magpie that isn’t for the bird but for “one who compulsively collects or hoards small objects.” And Rossini even based an opera on the birds’ reputation for thievery: In  http://www.amazon.com/Rossini-Thieving-Magpie-Opera-English/dp/B00009V909" rel="nofollow - La gazza ladra , or “The Thieving Magpie,” a magpie takes several silver items and a maidservant gets executed for the crime.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:09pm
Fcukin hell Bob. That means our avian friends are better able to evaluate shiny metal than we are. That can't be good. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:15pm
Was some bloke on Prime Time talking about Bitcoin there. Missed nearly all of it so didn't hear what he said

-------------

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:51am

Was some bloke on Prime Time talking about Bitcoin there. Missed nearly all of it so didn't hear what he said

Watched it and he basically just talked absolute sh*te, was as if he was reading the Wikipedia page.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 1:22pm

Singapore sound alarm over bitcoin

Singapore’s financial watchdog has joined the chorus of concerns over cryptocurrencies.

Sopnendu Mohanty, the top fintech official at Singapore’s monetary authority ( http://www.mas.gov.sg/" rel="nofollow - The Telegraph’s Ambrose Evans-Pritchard has the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/bitcoin" rel="nofollow - once speculators discover how hard it can be to extricate their cash, Singapore’s financial watchdog has warned.

Sopnendu Mohanty, Fintech chief for Singapore’s monetary authority ( http://www.mas.gov.sg/" rel="nofollow - but what I want to know is how you convert it into fiat currency and realize that value. The risk comes at the moment of conversion,” he told the Daily Telegraph....

Is it true Bitcoin is difficult to convert into Euros, dollars etc. ?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
No, you just sell it to the next chump. It isn't that hard.

It's hard to spend directly at the minute, as there aren't that many places that accept it; that doesn't make it hard to sell, though.

Put it like this: could you buy a can of coke with a solid gold coin? Unlikely. But could you sell it for cash? Damned right you could.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:14pm
You can also quite easily link it to a credit card and spend as easily as you would with any other credit card bases on fiat. It's nowhere near as difficult as some people want to make out.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 8:31am
Had a chat with a couple of buddies working in finance who threw a few hundred euro into the cryptocurrency craic at the start of the year. One was showing me the app with charts of the various currencies he bought. Some of them increased in value at a steady rate and others were all over the shop. It appears to be a popular hobby amongst folk in the city of London.

It'll be interesting to see how this will pan out. Personally I'm staying well clear of it.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:47am
Dropping quicker than a Benburb Street brazzer at the moment..........

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

A lot of people selling for some extra money for Christmas perhaps

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 1:12pm
Most likely. Although it is the 5th time it's value has dropped by 30% or more this year so nothing major to worry about.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

A lot of people selling for some extra money for Christmas perhaps

No

Said people would probably hold 1% of the total market value of bitcoin.

Some of the big players are probably taking some money off the table.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:07pm
Bitcoin back up to $18K this week.... previous highs was around $19k and then dropped to below $4k in 2019.
It’s up over 40% in the last month as PayPal said it would use this currency in 2021.

If PayPal gets onto Bitcoin it could force others to do the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:21pm

- he has 30 bitcoins. He started buying them in Jan and has bought some after that. Total investment was 50 grand

- can't see him selling. He's adamant it will keep rising. I reckon it's gonna plummet in the near future but sure what do I know

What’s the latest Gaz? 
If this guy sold out near the top in Dec 2017 he did very well....

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Bitcoin back up to $18K this week.... previous highs was around $19k and then dropped to below $4k in 2019.
It’s up over 40% in the last month as PayPal said it would use this currency in 2021.

If PayPal gets onto Bitcoin it could force others to do the same.

Seems to be a lot more mainstream this time around, hearing every bank going and investment funds are buying it. Might be here to stay afterall

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:14pm
I have xrp. Went from 25c a coin to 47c a coin as of an hour ago. Serious jump. Have 166 coins bought when they were at 17c a coin. Handy little profit

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

I have xrp. Went from 25c a coin to 47c a coin as of an hour ago. Serious jump. Have 166 coins bought when they were at 17c a coin. Handy little profit

It’s up over 80% this week...
What’s driving it?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:47pm

What’s driving it?

Would love to know. Could be off the back of what's going on with bitcoin

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:49pm

What’s driving it?
It's speculation driving most of them at the moment. Bitcoin seem to have some established hands, but there's loads of spinoffs. I'm in Ethereum myself (as well as Bitcoin)

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:50pm
Bhobcoin up to record levels too

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:01pm

Paytoncoin in a state of unpredictable flux

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:15pm

Paytoncoin in a state of unpredictable flux

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:49am
Used the Revolut app to dip the toes into the Crypto world some months back. My inital outlay has just about doubled as of a few mins ago. Clap

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Used the Revolut app to dip the toes into the Crypto world some months back. My inital outlay has just about doubled as of a few mins ago. Clap

What are you going to spend the €2 on?

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:35am
One of my cryptos went up 32.6% yesterday Clap

Up 140% this week alone! Smile

Stellar Lumens abú!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

probably a can  of Guinness. Not decided for certain yet.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:53am

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

probably a can  of Guinness. Not decided for certain yet.

LOL

Decided to put a few quid into this too Sham. Went for bitcoin, Etherium, Ripple and Cardano.

think i'll start putting in £50 a month and see how i get on in a year. I think I'll concentrate on Etherium and Cardano.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:55am
I invest about £50 a month in petroleum. I tell ya. I am going places.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Just seen this from me, FFS if I had bought a bit coin that day and forgot about it until now, I'd have made about £14k. Dead

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:58am

I invest about £50 a month in petroleum. I tell ya. I am going places.

LOL

I've an extra £160 a month not driving to work.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:51pm

What’s the latest Gaz? 
If this guy sold out near the top in Dec 2017 he did very well....

yeah he sold some and re-invested. He has nearly 11 bitcoins at the moment which is worth almost €180k I think. If he cashed out now he would be making a profit of over €100k purely on bitcoins. He has other crypto currencies as well. Some man

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net