Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=44938
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 6:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Paul McGrath
Posted By: drog addict
Subject: Paul McGrath
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 2:39pm
He is coming to Ashbourne for Ashbourne Uniteds opening of their new ground. Should be a great game against the Shamrocks with a few more ex LOI legends playing and maybe a few more ex internationals. It will be a great day out and ye might get a few pics with the man himself and if not get yer face painted with the kids. Also MrTayto is going to be there throwing padjets a crimps all over the shop. If ya want tickets pm me.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Replies:
Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:47am
Seemingly fallen off the wagon again, arrested on Saturday afternoon in Tullamore.........back in court on 17 July.

Sad news.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:49am
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mcgrath-due-in-court-over-alleged-public-order-offence-29387445.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mcgrath-due-in-court-over-alleged-public-order-offence-29387445.html

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:20am
Tullamore would do that to any man.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:22am
The red nose in the pic Embarrassed

He just cant seem to shake the demon drink no matter what. Awful sad. Hope he recovers.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 11:30am
Whenever I think Paul Mc Grath, I simultaneously think Phil Lynott. talented, down to earth, old school, decent, working class, black Dubliners. Two gentlemen, they command respect, admiration and genuine love even in those who only feel they know them. I hope a day comes when Paul can rid of himself of that horrible fcukin disease. 
Please your honour, go easy on him, he's one of ours.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Whenever I think Paul Mc Grath, I simultaneously think Phil Lynott. talented, down to earth, old school, decent, working class, black Dubliners. Two gentlemen, they command respect, admiration and genuine love even in those who only feel they know them. I hope a day comes when Paul can rid of himself of that horrible fcukin disease. 

back in the day I wrote a Cult Hero on McGrath and made the same comparisons to Phil Lynott.

I've a mate who is a dipso, he's been off the booze 1 1/2 years, but in that time he has had about 5 sessions. McGrath went a year and half, they will always have relapses. Lets hope Paul can get back on the wagon again soon.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: jinky
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:13pm
Irishman gets arrested after drinking binge shocker

-------------
tir gan teanga ,tir gan anam

Posted By: Yard of Pace
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:18pm

Yeah, the comparisons with Philo are eerily similar. Half the nation would bend over backwards for either man, yet Philo couldn't clean up and Paul is looking like he's the same. I guess some people just have an emptiness inside of them that no amount of adulation, love or achievement can fill. 

Posted By: AaronFever
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by jinky jinky wrote:

Irishman gets arrested after drinking binge shocker
In fairness, most of us can avoid getting arrested.

-------------
played three, won one, lost two, scored none

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:09pm
FFS it's making BBC world news now.

Such a non incident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23141182" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23141182

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:25pm
Sad to see he has fallen off the wagon again. Hope he recovers.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:35pm
So how many tickets do yis want each lads?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

It's happend to the best of us in Tullamore

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

It's happend to the best of us in Tullamore
Avoided arrest thoughCool

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

So how many tickets do yis want each lads?

Any Dubliners driving up to this? I'll go if I can get a lift.

I'm gonna get my face painted like Hooperman, wear a Rovers jersey and make a pig of myself.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 2:26pm
A list it is so.
1. Bob Hoskins

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 2:27pm
Keith Duffy who lives in the parish might be there too for all you boyzone fans.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 3:44pm

Two of my all time heroes Philo and PM. Cool

How bad was the vandalismn to Phils statue ? Shocked

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Don't think it was vandalism or at least intentional afterall. Lads were messing and somehow managed to do what they did. They came forward the next day.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I hear ya dude. And what a team they would have made... "....so just 8 minutes in and the Republic of Ireland continue to press forward here at the Neckarstadion....and now McGrath nods it down to Lynott,......and...Oh my word Jimmy Hill....would you look at that, just look at that....Peter Shilton was simply left holding his nuts"

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:22pm

A list it is so.
1. Bob Hoskins

Yeah great stuff lads, Paul is black and so is Philip and they are great n'alls. Now back on topic, €7 for adult and €3 for the sprogs and they can meet the legend himself Keith Duffy and maybe johnny Logan and mick Byrne. Bring the nippers to tayto park if ya want too. Get some nice fresh air into those smokey Dublin lungs of yers while ye are it. Mon ta fuq, support local football and get yisser names on the list.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:33pm

A list it is so.
1. Bob Hoskins

Yeah great stuff lads, Paul is black and so is Philip and they are great n'alls. Now back on topic, €7 for adult and €3 for the sprogs and they can meet the legend himself Keith Duffy and maybe johnny Logan and mick Byrne. Bring the nippers to tayto park if ya want too. Get some nice fresh air into those smokey Dublin lungs of yers while ye are it. Mon ta fuq, support local football and get yisser names on the list.

You're the one off topic ya ham sandwich!
Go back now like a good lad and look at the title of the thread will ya. We were all doing just lovely till you crow-barred in your propaganda to pay €7 during a recession to see a village idiots team water their new pitch and johnny logan having his face painted by linda martin. 

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 6:31pm

Keith Duffy who lives in the parish might be there too for all you boyzone fans.

This is too uncertain for me. If he is definitely there, i am too.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:06am

“Minor breaches of the Public Order Act”……sure if that was the case the Gards should arrest half the people out on the p1ss every night. I heard he was shouting etc.....god forbid!

Shame on the Gards down there. They could have just taken him away and let him sober up. Surely no need to arrest him; the whole country knows of his troubles FFS

-------------

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

“Minor breaches of the Public Order Act”……sure if that was the case the Gards should arrest half the people out on the p1ss every night. I heard he was shouting etc.....god forbid!

Shame on the Gards down there. They could have just taken him away and let him sober up. Surely no need to arrest him; the whole country knows of his troubles FFS

Agreed. Another bogger cop, trying to make a name and a story for when he is pissed down the pub on a Sunday evening.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: benboview
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 3:40am
f**k alcohol.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 4:39am
"He was taken into custody after complaints were made that a man was being loud and annoying others in the area"

If cops did that to us on away trips, we'd all be arrested and The Scientist would be behind bars at the end of every day. Tullamore Gards yis are an absolute disgrace Thumbs Down

-------------

Posted By: John W
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:52am
A tweet 14 mins ago from Paul - "I love Aston Villa and Im pissed soz :)"

Not good

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:59am
Unfortanley think Paul back on beer, few weird tweets coming from him.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:19am
Lads we don't know the facts, maybe Paul was warned to stop but didn't, maybe the guard asked him to leave but he wouldn't. It's so terribly sad he seems to be lapsing more often lately.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:30am
Maybe just maybe Paul wants to continue drinking and should be left to decide that for himself. All the "hope he beats his demons" comments while well intentioned could be adding pressure on a very vulnerable person.

If he is unable to stop, could he not be encouraged to drink in a more controlled way. If we are concerned for Paul, we should support him when he has the odd relapse and not wish for what we want for him instead of what he wants himself....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:36am

johnny logan having his face painted by linda martin. 

exactly , if it was johnny painting lindas face you might get a few quid more LOL

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Maybe just maybe Paul wants to continue drinking and should be left to decide that for himself. All the "hope he beats his demons" comments while well intentioned could be adding pressure on a very vulnerable person.

If he is unable to stop, could he not be encouraged to drink in a more controlled way. If we are concerned for Paul, we should support him when he has the odd relapse and not wish for what we want for him instead of what he wants himself....

I see your point Cabra, but Paul clearly can't drink in a controlled way.  I doubt he ever did. It's so fookin tragic.

-------------

Posted By: kenaneym
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:24am
I think he was arrested because he refused to leave the area....unconfirmed reports down here was it took 8 gards to arrest him

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:30am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

johnny logan having his face painted by linda martin. 

exactly , if it was johnny painting lindas face you might get a few quid more LOL

I can confirm that both Johhny and Keith will be painting Linda's face in a bukaki theme. How many tickets do ye want lads?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:38am

A list it is so.
1. Bob Hoskins

Go back now like a good lad and look at the title of the thread will ya. We were all doing just lovely till you crow-barred in your propaganda to pay €7 during a recession to see a village idiots team water their new pitch and johnny logan having his face painted by linda martin. 

I started this topic ye d'zope in order to get some lads to come to the game and honestly €7 for a ticket were you can come see the legend himself along with some other stars, free crimps, a game of ball between The shamrocks v Ashbourne Utd all stars and helping local football is a pretty good price. Take your recession talk to Joe Duffy or some other moany coont and get off the topic I started. Put ye down for two tickets so 1 adult and 1 child? Be a tenner chief Wink

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:42am
Good Work Drog..........hope it's a great day out and you get a scorcher. Will pop over to Ashbourne with the kids if free on the day

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 2:22pm
McGrath on Twitter -

Someone thinks its funny to hack my account. Im fine thanks

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:55pm
Some awful strange tweets from him this evening. Hope he is alright.

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:58pm
Best of luck Paul,keep the head up (irish fans are cheering for ye)

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:00pm
Hope his account is being hacked

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:02pm
In the last hour he has tweeted the following:

@Paulmcgrath5: Disresrplectful to goinn to court nice to know i can fall down : and twats cac get off scott free got bless lreland :-)

@Paulmcgrath5: Im sorry for being drunk forgive me :-

@Paulmcgrath5: Save me from myself please worrier ah jessas help¡ :-)

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 11:35pm

A list it is so.
1. Bob Hoskins

I started this topic ye d'zope in order to get some lads to come to the game and honestly €7 for a ticket were you can come see the legend himself along with some other stars, free crimps, a game of ball between The shamrocks v Ashbourne Utd all stars and helping local football is a pretty good price. Take your recession talk to Joe Duffy or some other moany coont and get off the topic I started. Put ye down for two tickets so 1 adult and 1 child? Be a tenner chief Wink

Don't be disingenous. You started a false thread with the title "Paul McGrath" to grab attention for some kids day out gimmick for which you already have another thread going on the forum. And then you're cheesed off that the other posters are actually discussing the thread title "Paul McGrath".  Don't set up a thread with the title "feel tits for free here lads" and then leave people heartbroken when it turns out to be about Paul Mc Shane.

Anyway, back on topic. I doubt very much those tweets came from Paul McGrath or he even knows what Twitters is. They read like pubescent text-speak . It will be a disgrace if he is convicted of a crime when you see the amount of drunken yahoos that wreck lives every weekend never face any trial.

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 12:58am

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font face="Calibri">“Minor breaches of the Public Order Act”……sure if that was
the case the Gards should arrest half the people out on the p1ss every night. I heard he was shouting etc.....god forbid!

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p><font size="3" face="Calibri"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" ="Msonormal"><font face="Calibri">Shame on the Gards down there. They could have just taken
him away and let him sober up. Surely no need to arrest him; the whole country
knows of his troubles FFS<o:p></o:p>

Bullsh*t. A violent drunk is a violent drunk, especially one as physically strong as McGrath. Just because he is a nice guy and a sporting legend doesn't give him a pass.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 10:01pm
Wish people would leave him alone and not even try to buy him drink.

He well knows the damage it causes to himself and needs help, as always.

Posted By: Brazil
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 10:29pm
Does he have much family in ireland does anyone know? He needs professional help as in the john of god in stillorgan or somewhere like that.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

That's the thing. His alcohol abuse is well documented at this stage. I doubt there's a person in the country that isn't aware of his addiction. And I also doubt there are many people in the country who don't realise the utter carnage that alcohol addiction creates within families. And then, while he is in the process of recovery you have people knowingly inviting him to events where drink permeates the entire occasion Confused 

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Brazil Brazil wrote:

Does he have much family in ireland does anyone know? He needs professional help as in the john of god in stillorgan or somewhere like that.

I read somewhere recently he has been living in Wexford for years ??? Maybe someone from that neck of the woods could confirm.

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 12:41am
Ye lives in wexford and has good people looking after him

Have been talking to said people in last few weeks about golf classic. Hopefully it wilk still go ahead in september

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 8:45am

I doubt very much those tweets came from Paul McGrath or he even knows what Twitters is. .

what the fcuk are you on about , he is on twitter the whole time talking to irish fans villa fans to norman whiteside and loads more.

no way his account was hacked , the fella was in a mess and took to twitter, he's not the first.

-------------

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Yep why in Ireland does everybody want to buy you a drink but never a meal?

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 6:00pm

I doubt very much those tweets came from Paul McGrath or he even knows what Twitters is. .

what the fcuk are you on about , he is on twitter the whole time talking to irish fans villa fans to norman whiteside and loads more.

no way his account was hacked , the fella was in a mess and took to twitter, he's not the first.

If Paul McGrath, a grown adult in his 50s and professional football legend is seeking attention in a juvenile way with ..."Save me from myself please worrier ah jessas help¡ :-)"  on the twits machine I'd be more disappointed in him than anything he done whilst on the piss. Jaysus, he really does need help and not just for alcohol Cry 

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 6:12pm

If Paul McGrath, a grown adult in his 50s and professional football legend is seeking attention in a juvenile way with ..."Save me from myself please worrier ah jessas help¡ :-)"  on the twits machine I'd be more disappointed in him than anything he done whilst on the piss. Jaysus, he really does need help and not just for alcohol Cry 

The man needs help not sympathy.

Why would you be disappointed in anyone who needs help?????????????????

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 7:06pm
Unfortunately Paul has been given/offered the best help that is available, and that hasnt workedCry

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 7:24pm
Still we should not give up, we the nation owe the man for what he has given us in his performances and pride in the shirt.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Still we should not give up, we the nation owe the man for what he has given us in his performances and pride in the shirt.

We give up?

It's his problem that can only be dealt with by him. I think he should be encouraged and supported.

In a way I see him a bit like Best - deep down he doesn't want to give it up\can't give it up.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:23pm

The man needs help not sympathy.

Why would you be disappointed in anyone who needs help?????????????????

It's been a long hot day Momma, so I won't go back & type it all out again. But I have boldened and even highlighted it for ya to make sure it's not confusing.
Of course one would feel disappointed. Think about it yourself pal. If someone you really admired got to this stage in their life, would you not be disappointed in them? That's only a natural reaction.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:04pm
Good stuff Paul has been given the benefit of the probation act and ordered to give one days training to a local soccer club in Tullamore.   

Best of luck of Paul and hopefully he can get back on track.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Brazil
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:07pm
Lads i know from family  experience there is only one man that can help him and thats himself, if he doesnt want to give up the drink he wont, he needs to decide himself to give it up and then check into rehab.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:15pm
Its not a matter of deciding himself.............. its a matter of accepting that he is powerless where drink is concerned and that his life is out of his control

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:15pm

Lads i know from family  experience there is only one man that can help him and thats himself, if he doesnt want to give up the drink he wont, he needs to decide himself to give it up and then check into rehab.

seen a few fellas do the same , they just decide themselves one day, no amount of pleading from family made them do it but then one day it clicked and they went in

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 2:57pm
Looking forward to meeting him on Sunday. Did I mention he will be in Ashbourne this Sunday.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:14pm
He is in court today ya...what happens to the weekend festivities if he gets remanded?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:20pm
He'll not be remanded in custody; it'll either be a plea of guilty and a fine, or else he'll be remanded on bail for about three weeks or a month to get a precis of the evidence agin' him.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:22pm
Ah SD I was only stirring...way to blow it!

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:22pm

seen a few fellas do the same , they just decide themselves one day, no amount of pleading from family made them do it but then one day it clicked and they went in

He's been in loads of times

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Ah SD I was only stirring...way to blow it!

Hell, even if he gets a three month prison sentence, he'll get out tomorrow or Friday (although I suppose in that instance, he's unlikely to rock up to the ybig yoke).

I've asked around to see if anyone I know was down in Tullamore DC today but nobody yet....

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:31pm

Looking forward to meeting him on Sunday. Did I mention he will be in Ashbourne this Sunday.
Where's Ashbourne and what's happening?

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:36pm
His punishment is a day coaching kids at Tullamore FC and the charges will be removed after 6 months if he stays out of trouble. 

Remanded in custodyLOL

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 3:39pm
Its already been decided lads. 

From the indo., 

Judge Mitchell, who revealed himself as a  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Leeds_United" rel="nofollow - Leeds United  fan, said he nonetheless would take into consideration McGrath's forthright apology to the  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Garda_Siochana" rel="nofollow - Garda  and hotel staff, as well as an "impressive" letter from his doctor handed in to the court.

"I am aware you are a national hero and considered one of the greatest soccer players in Ireland," he said.

"Growing up myself I would have watched many of the games.

"But I was not a supporter of many of the clubs you played with myself - I was a Leeds United supporter.

"I'm also aware, as a hero, people looked up to you, and still look up to you."

The judge also noted McGrath's charitable work for  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Cystic_Fibrosis" rel="nofollow - cystic fibrosis  and acquired  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Brain_Injury" rel="nofollow - brain injury  organisations.

Ordering the former footballer to return and give a full day's coaching to children of different age groups at Tullamore Town Soccer Club, Judge Mitchell said he would give him an unconditional discharge under the Probation of Offenders Act, providing McGrath stayed out of trouble.

The judge said it would benefit both the children of the town and McGrath himself.

"You were in Tullamore for a wedding, you will be coming back now to help young people," he said.

As McGrath left the crowded courtroom, a number of onlookers scurried after him into a side foyer of the building, where he stopped for a time, spoke with them and gave autographs.

Flanked by his agent, he refused to speak to reporters as he was led out a side door before he was bundled into a waiting black BMW with darkened windows and sped away.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 4:32pm
I see the Sun have a campaign to stop people buying/serving Gazza booze, which gazza is supporting. They should do the same for our Paul in the Irish sun!

But seriously it's up to himself if he doesn't want to drink. I know myself I tried to stop but deep down I didn't want to so now it's all about trying to make sure I don't go overboard but I know myself there is potential every time I go out that I will go overboard and potentially do something I regret

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 2:32am

Some shower of friends at that wedding, you would think they would make sure he wasn't served drink at it,

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 4:52am

Some shower of friends at that wedding, you would think they would make sure he wasn't served drink at it,

I was thinking the very same. Useless shower of idiots. Some "friends"....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 10:17am

I wonder how many times he can have a drinking session without going a mad one. Was reading gazza people do be on edge because he can either ha e a few drinks and be the life and soul of the party but other times he can get agressive etc. so it might not neccasarily mean McGrath always goes on a mad one when he drinks and can maybe enjoy himself like others. It's probably harder to stop or stop him when you know he can be great Craic on the booze and its only every so often he goes on a mad one. I'd put myself into that category sure

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 10:28am

Know where you are coming from lads but if someone wants to get drink they will get it.  As anyone who has dealt with a serious alcoholic will tell you, they become the most resourceful and come up with genius plans to get their hands on drink. This is the same with any addiction really. 

We do not know the ins and out of it 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 10:40am
very hard for people to stop paul mcgrath getting drink, the problem is the demand not the supply!

-------------

Posted By: garytwigg21
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 10:46am
If you are his friend and know he will go to anything to get his next drink, do you go out with him in the hope that you can keep an eye on him and assure he doesn't get into bother or do you say no and let him wander off anywhere to get alcohol and pray he isn't found in a ditch the next morning?

I know it's a hypothetical question but what would you do??

(Obviously the best thing as a friend would be to get him much-needed help that he needs to beat the addiction but failing that, what option do you have?) 

-------------
This time next year........

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 11:00am
Let's be honest here, if he wants to drink, nobody can stop him. It's purely up to him whether to drink or not. In regards to people not serving him drink, can anybody legally refuse to serve him alcohol simply because he is an alcoholic?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 4:24pm
5 page interview with the legend in the Sunday world today.

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

5 page interview with the legend in the Sunday world today.

Didn't think you were that big a fan of Roy Curtis

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 4:52pm
Had the pleasure of meeting the big man in courtown a couple of weeks ago, absolutely brilliant with my kids and others, total gent and defo a legend, how i wish he did not have his demons but what a man Clap

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 5:41pm
Is it me or is Roy Curtis articles impossible to read.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

His style of writing annoys the sh*t out of me. Don't read that paper anymore anyway.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

His style of writing annoys the sh*t out of me. Don't read that paper anymore anyway.

Usually wouldn't read what the t**ser says, but fact it about Paul McGrath, I said I would. Certainly wouldn't buy the paper. Read the fathers one.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 7:21pm
Paul showed up today and all I can say is that he is a lovely man. He played upfront for Ashbourne in the first have and even struck a volley that unfortunately did not hit the target. He stayed around for ages chatting to all of us and signing autographs and getting pictures. Great day had by all and I really hope for the best for Paul as he could not have been nicer to meself and all the other fans at the game.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:52pm
Currently in Murrays on O'Connell st with all the Villa fans.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:54pm
Hope to jaysus there's no gimps buying him drinks

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Garak
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:08pm
Paul saying on Twitter he would like to be involved in the new setup.

http://twitter.com/Paulmcgrath5/status/377846966279225345" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/Paulmcgrath5/status/377846966279225345

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 2:21pm
Dean Saunders was saying on that Fanatsy lg on sky that Paul was the best defender he had ever played with. He didnt train for 7 years just had 20 mins on the bike each day.

-------------

Posted By: sortitout
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 8:46pm
Legend........Imagine if he done the Tour De France.

Posted By: Vaux
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 9:35am
Greatest ever Ireland player Paul. Clap

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 8:55am
Just heard the Legend talking on Alan Brazils talk sport show.
Good to hear him sounding in top form  Cool he says Argentina will win the WC due to the Messi factor and that Louis Van Gaal is an inspired appointment for Man U.

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 9:50am
Inspired ?????

He's hardly a new kid on the block.

Well done Paul.

Posted By: doylerdave
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 1:35am
Met him a few year back pure gent

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 4:03pm
A new blog by Paul McGrath discussing Villa, Keane and Jack Grealish Thumbs Up

https://beanbagsports.com/#/user/877/Paul

McGrath will also be on a live chat forum tonight throughout the Stoke vs Newcastle game giving his reaction to the game via the following link Clap https://beanbagsports.com/#live/209507436  So if you have anything you want to ask him make sure to sign up for your own BeanBagSports profile. 

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:10pm
Don Hutchinson had PM in  skys Fantasy League team tonight saying that even though he didn't play many games for Sheff U he was different class.
DH went on to say that on the Friday before a game Paul would stand on the training pitch with a cup of tea as he was unable to train but the next day he would be the best player on the pitch by a million miles.
Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:35am

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/831622445?-17912:3335:0" rel="nofollow - Paul McGrath: Irish spirit can defy odds again  

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:13pm
On VM2 now - Lodging with Lucy

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 06 May 2021 at 11:17am
Interviewed Mark Bosnich this week who spoke very highly of Paul and he told me a brilliant McGrath story that was shared with him by Houghton from Euro 88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2rV3tj9I0&t=2s" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2rV3tj9I0&t=2s

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net