Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=44226
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 5:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: GAA Football Championship 2013
Posted By: ringerbell
Subject: GAA Football Championship 2013
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:25am
Not long till this kicks off now. 1000 tickets for donegal vs Tyrone were available online today and were all gone insid 30 minutes so the first sell out of the year will happen early this year

Found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_s4c6ZNNJk
it gives a great review of the 2012 season. Here's hoping donegals good run in the championship continues and ive another long summer of travelling to and from games

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Replies:
Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:17am
I'm sorry that title would have bothered me all year

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:44am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I'm sorry that title would have bothered me all year

No bother mark cheers for sorting whatever was wrong with it . How you fancy mayos chances this year

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:36am
Clare for Munster

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:52am
Great craic at work here talking about the upcoming Connacht Classico in Pearse Stadium this month (only 17 days awayBig smile)

Mayo go into the game as clear favourites, no matter what MayoMark says LOL However, they have been picking up a number of injuries of late. Conroy, the two Morans, Varley just some examples of players struggling with injuries atm. Dillon has returned to club football but whether he is ready for a championship clash with Galway will remain to be seen.

Galway on the other hand, have come off the back of an indifferent league campaign in Division 2, to add to that terrible 2012 Championship. Pressure on Mulholland to deliver Championship football to Galway well into July at least. Squad yet to be finalised as of now, given the benefit we have of our U-21's in the All-Ireland final to come back which will give not only the team a boost but the supporters as well.

Some good footballers in that side but even if they beat Cork at the weekend, an All-Ireland U-21 title will not be the decisive factor in Galway bating Mayo, as demonstrated in the 2011 clash, the last between these tow sides which finished in a facile 6 point victory for Mayo at McHale Park.

Weather has been good of late in the West so all signs point to a scorcher at the seaside Cool. Not that weather is gonna have much impact on the game thanks to that **** of a wind factor at Salthill which will probably ruin game as a spectacle Angry  but I won't complain if we sneak a win!

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Not long till this kicks off now. 1000 tickets for donegal vs Tyrone were available online today and were all gone insid 30 minutes so the first sell out of the year will happen early this year

it gives a great review of the 2012 season. Here's hoping donegals good run in the championship continues and ive another long summer of travelling to and from games

Why are there any tickets on general sale when tickets are so scarce?

BTW Del Piero, I like that, the Connacht Classico ClapClap

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:03pm
We are f**ked ringer! Injury crisis is a feckin understatement

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:08pm
absolutely goosed, be lucky to get 15 out at this stage

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:14pm
Have you been called up yet Rog? Got a text off James there. Having a bit of bother with the old leg so not sure if I'll bother

-------------

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:21pm
Hopefully Mayo are knocked out early so we don't have to listen to another few months of this sh*te!

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:22pm

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Hopefully Mayo are knocked out early so we don't have to listen to another few months of this sh*te!

dead right trapped, dont fancy our chances at all, out in first round champo and out in first round qualifers would be my most optimistic prediction this year,

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

dead right trapped, dont fancy our chances at all, out in first round champo and out in first round qualifers would be my most optimistic prediction this year,

With a bit of luck Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:37pm

absolutely goosed, be lucky to get 15 out at this stage

The Junior B's of the intercounty scene.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Why are there any tickets on general sale when tickets are so scarce?

BTW Del Piero, I like that, the Connacht Classico ClapClap

Gaa have a contract with tickets.ie as far as I know. Local supervalue stores in donegal had tickets for sale today as well but had none left . As always confident il get my ticket from the club (missed 1 championship game in 15 years) but will be a lot of upset people. 20500 members in donegal and they are gonna get around 6500 tickets for this game

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:46pm
I think I may have said this before but... Why don't all these sad, desperate and heartbreakingly disappointed people just get a season ticket?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:53pm

I think I may have said this before but... Why don't all these sad, desperate and heartbreakingly disappointed people just get a season ticket?

I know what you saying mark but some people still like to get their tickets from their club myself included and some of these people will miss out.the main problem here in donegal is the rapid jump in club members last year we had roughly 7500 fully paid members this year it's around 20500. Personally I don't think tickets should be on general sale for this. My brothers pa just after telling me was two men in local supervalue today who bought 8 tickets each today. Can see a lot of touts floating about ballybofey on 26th may especially with the news that all other counties in ulster will get tickets for this game as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:55pm
Dunno ringer, seems daft. A very simple solution to a very simple problem!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:09pm

Dunno ringer, seems daft. A very simple solution to a very simple problem!

The season ticket is a great option totally agree but isn't their a maximum number of season tickets per county (could be wrong on that). As I said confident il get my ticket from the club as have always done and we as a family have done so as well even got 6 AI tickets from the club last year as well as the brothers 2 disabled ones. We all knew tickets were gonna be hard to get with it being in ballybofey. The bandwagon is out early this year

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:30pm

I know what you saying mark but some people still like to get their tickets from their club myself included and some of these people will miss out.the main problem here in donegal is the rapid jump in club members last year we had roughly 7500 fully paid members this year it's around 20500. Personally I don't think tickets should be on general sale for this. My brothers pa just after telling me was two men in local supervalue today who bought 8 tickets each today. Can see a lot of touts floating about ballybofey on 26th may especially with the news that all other counties in ulster will get tickets for this game as well.

Nothing to do with Donegal winning the All-Ireland last year I'm sure!

Think I'll avail of the Parnell Pass this year. Never been let down for a ticket before but the stress/hassle leading up to an AI until you have the ticket in your hand isn't worth it - you can't even think about the match cause you're worried about ticket sources falling through. Plus they're gone to 120 for the Hill.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:38pm
Joe still his usual bitter self in relation to Dublin

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/brolly-reckons-donegal-still-the-team-to-beat-1.1378181" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/brolly-reckons-donegal-still-the-team-to-beat-1.1378181  

I'm not saying that Dublin will win the AI this year but to say a team that will probably have  number of AI winners in it will wilt when the pressure comes on is laughable

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/brolly-reckons-donegal-still-the-team-to-beat-1.1378181" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/brolly-reckons-donegal-still-the-team-to-beat-1.1378181  

I'm not saying that Dublin will win the AI this year but to say a team that will probably have  number of AI winners in it will wilt when the pressure comes on is laughable

Brolly "You would have expected the Dubs to win by more, if they were really where they need to be. And they didn’t do that."

So if the team who wins the league aren't "really where they need to be" at this stage of the year, where does that leave the rest of the teams?

Never had time for Brolly anyway, don't know why so many people rate him as an analyst - he actually goes through my head.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:01am

Brolly "You would have expected the Dubs to win by more, if they were really where they need to be. And they didn’t do that."

So if the team who wins the league aren't "really where they need to be" at this stage of the year, where does that leave the rest of the teams?

Never had time for Brolly anyway, don't know why so many people rate him as an analyst - he actually goes through my head.

Sure if we had won by more he'd have probably come out with some bollocks along the line that Dublin weren't really tested etc.....

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: tirchonaill
Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 3:03am
an open draw for the All Ireland......no handy back door for teams...was any All Ireland harder won than beating....Cavan, Derry, Tyrone, Down, Kerry, Cork and Mayo....honestly, no......its usually Kerry beat Waterford, Clare, Cork, Ulster and then a decider against dubs......put Kerry into ulster for temporary 2 years, see how they don't qualify,,

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:58am

Nothing to do with Donegal winning the All-Ireland last year I'm sure!

Think I'll avail of the Parnell Pass this year. Never been let down for a ticket before but the stress/hassle leading up to an AI until you have the ticket in your hand isn't worth it - you can't even think about the match cause you're worried about ticket sources falling through. Plus they're gone to 120 for the Hill.

Club membership jumped so much because everyone seen club members all got tickets for the AI last year which won't be the case this year if we were to make it. Never have had a worry about tickets until last year when we looked for the usual number of them (6+2disabled) and received all from the club. Due to other circumstances only need 3 tickets for Tyrone along with the brothers disabled passes and confident will get them.

Will be some atmosphere in ballybofey on the 26th can't wait for it now have a great week of sport that week   

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by tirchonaill tirchonaill wrote:

an open draw for the All Ireland......no handy back door for teams...was any All Ireland harder won than beating....Cavan, Derry, Tyrone, Down, Kerry, Cork and Mayo....honestly, no......its usually Kerry beat Waterford, Clare, Cork, Ulster and then a decider against dubs......put Kerry into ulster for temporary 2 years, see how they don't qualify,,

Laois, Kildare, Wexford, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry was just as tough a run if not more so as Kerry are a different prospect when they get to a final compared to Mayo who, despite having good footballers, haven't shown the mental edge to win a final yet.

And your point about Kerry going to Ulster doesn't really make sense. They often get knocked out of Munster and go through the back door. If they were knocked out of Ulster they'd go through the exact same system facing the exact same teams.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:12am

Laois, Kildare, Wexford, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry was just as tough a run  

jaysis LOL how was that as tough a run , kildare do nothing in leinster , ever. wexford threw that final away as well, donegal had 4 games just to win their province , all handy teams too.

agree with all your other points though

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:36am

jaysis LOL how was that as tough a run , kildare do nothing in leinster , ever. wexford threw that final away as well, donegal had 4 games just to win their province , all handy teams too.

Well he mentioned Cavan and Derry. What's so great about them? In 2011 Cavan were hammered by Longford in the first round qualifier and Derry were beaten easily by Kildare. In 2012 Kildare hammered Cavan and Longford beat Derry - this is Longford who never do anything in Leinster. People automatically assume that every team in Ulster is strong every year but that's not the case.

Kildare are still a good team and Donegal were lucky to beat them in the quarter finals two years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:43am

Well he mentioned Cavan and Derry. What's so great about them? In 2011 Cavan were hammered by Longford in the first round qualifier and Derry were beaten easily by Kildare. In 2012 Kildare hammered Cavan and Longford beat Derry - this is Longford who never do anything in Leinster. People automatically assume that every team in Ulster is strong every year but that's not the case.

Kildare are still a good team and Donegal were lucky to beat them in the quarter finals two years ago.

ah take off the feckin blue glasses, massive difference , you actually said dublins coudl have been tougher LOLLOLLOL 

dublin had a great win that year and i have a feeling they will do it again this year but donegal had a very hard path to the final , easy enough final mind Cry 

-------------

Posted By: tirchonaill
Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:43am

Laois, Kildare, Wexford, Tyrone, Donegal and Kerry was just as tough a run if not more so as Kerry are a different prospect when they get to a final compared to Mayo who, despite having good footballers, haven't shown the mental edge to win a final yet.

And your point about Kerry going to Ulster doesn't really make sense. They often get knocked out of Munster and go through the back door. If they were knocked out of Ulster they'd go through the exact same system facing the exact same teams.

Often get knocked out of Munster by one team only, Cork and that's usually  the final(which puts them in last 12 of All Ireland series) or semis of Munster....very very rare, they will have to take the long road in back door from defeat in provincial 1st round(as tyrone/Donegal, derry/down and galway/mayo will be doing this year) or a prem round....

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:57am

Often get knocked out of Munster by one team only, Cork and that's usually  the final(which puts them in last 12 of All Ireland series) or semis of Munster....very very rare, they will have to take the long road in back door from defeat in provincial 1st round(as tyrone/Donegal, derry/down and galway/mayo will be doing this year) or a prem round....

I'm sure Kerry have met Cork in their first match plenty of times - it's the luck of the draw. Tyrone and Donegal would fancy their chances against any of the other teams in Ulster but so would Kerry. If Tyrone or Donegal moved to Muster there's a good chance they'd play Cork or Kerry in their first or second game.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:01am

Kildare are still a good team.  

Sorry but I'm not having that!! People give out about the Dubs building themselves up every year when Kildare have taken this to a new level in recent years and have done nothing.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:05am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Sorry but I'm not having that!! People give out about the Dubs building themselves up every year when Kildare have taken this to a new level in recent years and have done nothing.

They have decent footballers, but I admit you wouldn't consider them All-Ireland contenders, a bit like Mayo Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:08am

i actually think kildare are the victims here, the media build them up way too much , they have one excellent player and a fair few good players , i honestly cannot remember them beating anyone of note though since mcgeeny took over.

-------------

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:31am

Nonsense. We're sh*te every year!

*But somehow still better than GalwayBig smile

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:32am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Nonsense. We're sh*te every year!

not true , ye were good there one year LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:37am
Said it a lot last year that Ulster is overrated, but maybe this year it could be interesting

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Said it a lot last year that Ulster is overrated, but maybe this year it could be interesting

I think its as much that Leinster is dismissed as much as Ulster is overrated. Didn't Wicklow beat 3 Ulster teams in a row in the qualifiers a couple of years ago?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:52am

I think its as much that Leinster is dismissed as much as Ulster is overrated. Didn't Wicklow beat 3 Ulster teams in a row in the qualifiers a couple of years ago?

i remember them beating down alright but dont forget they had micko that time , some decent players too , that hannon fella was class..

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:58am

Don't see it being to interesting tbh think whoever wins on the 26th may will win ulster. The province used to be a lot better as all teams bar 1 or 2 were good enough to beat each other but a lot of these teams have faded away. The glory days of having upwards of 50000 travel to croke park for an ulster final are long gone

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 03 May 2013 at 1:29pm
Will be interesting to see how Donegal or Tyrone do in the qualifiers.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 6:03pm
All Ireland Under 21 final on this evening in Limerick, live on TG4

Galway and Cork meet in what can be defined as a sort of rivalry between the two sets of players. The two met each other in the 2010 All-Ireland Minor Semi-final and produced one of the best games of the year and probably in Minor history.

Galway led by 9 points at one stage in the second half, after scoring several quick fire goals. Cork however, slowly crept back into the game and levelled the game with 5 minutes to go. Shane Maughan scored a glorious point to edge Galway in front again but Cork got the last two points to prevail by a scoreline of 3-15 to 5-08. They would lose the final to Tyrone by one point.

A year later in Ennis, in the Under-21 All-Ireland semi-final, Cork went into the game as hot favourites to progress to the final. But Galway, much like this years semi-final vs Kildare, did not read the script and won by 2 points 1-11 to 0-12, they would go onto to easily defeat Cavan in the final by 10 points

Cork, the favourites, have finally reached the U-21 decider after two consectutive semi final defeats in 2011 and 2012. It could have been very easily been 3 in a row, after allowing Cavan to level the game in the final minutes after leading by 7 points early in the 2nd half. However, with 3 consecutive Munster U-21 titles, with no All-Ireland title to their name at either Minor or U-21 means there is a bit of pressure on the Leesiders to finally deliver on the big stage.

Galway have defied the experts in reaching their 2nd U-21 final in 3 years. 3 members of 2011 winning side are involved today, with Fintan O'Curraoin captaining the team. However, while they are talented side in their own right, luck has been on their side with their last two opponents guilty of kicking the game away. Roscommon in the Connacht final had the extra man and several good scoring oppurtunities to put the game away. I have had access to video analysis of that game and they had 51 scoring chances in the game, compared to Galways 34. The Tribesmen won the game in extra time.

Kildare also had their oppurtunities in the semi-final, but kicked 19 wides, some of them needlessly as Galway prevailed by 2-10 to 2-05

It has the makings of a good game I feel. If Cork are efficient in the final third against our defence, Galway may find themselves chasing the game early on. However, Cork failed to put the game away against Cavan, and Galway have already shown they are an ample threat in the final third. Midfield will be key to the winning of this game I feel

An All-Ireland Under 21 title will not decide whether we will beat Mayo or not in the Senior Championship 2 weeks time, but it will be great boost for all football followers in the county ahead of it

HON THE TRIBESMEN Big smile

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 6:08pm

All Ireland Under 21 final on this evening in Limerick, live on TG4

Galway and Cork meet in what can be defined as a sort of rivalry between the two sets of players. The two met each other in the 2010 All-Ireland Minor Semi-final and produced one of the best games of the year and probably in Minor history.

Galway led by 9 points at one stage in the second half, after scoring several quick fire goals. Cork however, slowly crept back into the game and levelled the game with 5 minutes to go. Shane Maughan scored a glorious point to edge Galway in front again but Cork got the last two points to prevail by a scoreline of 3-15 to 5-08. They would lose the final to Tyrone by one point.

A year later in Ennis, in the Under-21 All-Ireland semi-final, Cork went into the game as hot favourites to progress to the final. But Galway, much like this years semi-final vs Kildare, did not read the script and won by 2 points 1-11 to 0-12, they would go onto to easily defeat Cavan in the final by 10 points

Cork, the favourites, have finally reached the U-21 decider after two consectutive semi final defeats in 2011 and 2012. It could have been very easily been 3 in a row, after allowing Cavan to level the game in the final minutes after leading by 7 points early in the 2nd half. However, with 3 consecutive Munster U-21 titles, with no All-Ireland title to their name at either Minor or U-21 means there is a bit of pressure on the Leesiders to finally deliver on the big stage.

Galway have defied the experts in reaching their 2nd U-21 final in 3 years. 3 members of 2011 winning side are involved today, with Fintan O'Curraoin captaining the team. However, while they are talented side in their own right, luck has been on their side with their last two opponents guilty of kicking the game away. Roscommon in the Connacht final had the extra man and several good scoring oppurtunities to put the game away. I have had access to video analysis of that game and they had 51 scoring chances in the game, compared to Galways 34. The Tribesmen won the game in extra time.

Kildare also had their oppurtunities in the semi-final, but kicked 19 wides, some of them needlessly as Galway prevailed by 2-10 to 2-05

It has the makings of a good game I feel. If Cork are efficient in the final third against our defence, Galway may find themselves chasing the game early on. However, Cork failed to put the game away against Cavan, and Galway have already shown they are an ample threat in the final third. Midfield will be key to the winning of this game I feel

An All-Ireland Under 21 title will not decide whether we will beat Mayo or not in the Senior Championship 2 weeks time, but it will be great boost for all football followers in the county ahead of it

HON THE TRIBESMEN Big smile

Dead

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 6:14pm
Sorry to keep bringing it up Rossieman, I just saw that analysis the other day at work, says it all really.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:25pm
Championship starts tomorrow evening. New York v Leitrim in New York. I assume in the event that if New York were to win that they would have to cross the Atlantic for their 2nd game against Sligo or London. (As opposed to teams going over there)

-------------

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:43pm

Championship starts tomorrow evening. New York v Leitrim in New York. I assume in the event that if New York were to win that they would have to cross the Atlantic for their 2nd game against Sligo or London. (As opposed to teams going over there)

If they do have to cross the pond, they probably won't have a panel of players as a good number of them are illegal and therefore wouldn't get back into the States. I'm assuming if they ever were to win a Championship game, it could get messy

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

If they do have to cross the pond, they probably won't have a panel of players as a good number of them are illegal and therefore wouldn't get back into the States. I'm assuming if they ever were to win a Championship game, it could get messy

Yeah was thinking that. Would be interesting to see what would happen and given that it's Leitrim that they're playing it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

-------------

Posted By: Gaillimh Abu
Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:47pm
Final score in the U21 final was Galway 1-14 Cork 1-11. Great win for Galway this evening, was a very good performance all round. We raced into a 9 point lead early in the 2nd half but Cork with the aid of the elements came back at us strongly but we held on to record a fully deserved win, our 2nd  at this grade in the last 3 yrs Clap It is always nice to win an underage All Ireland but I guess the main aim is to see at least 6 or 7 of these lads lining out for the seniors in the next couple of years. Gaillimh abu Cool

-------------
To try and fail is understandable but to fail to try is inexcusable

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:49pm
did new york not have a game here a few years back when a load couldnt make it because of that??

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:56pm

Think that was the Ulster Hurling final when they unexpectedly won their semi final. Think that game as played in New York in October when Antrim went over IIRC even though the final should have been Casement.

-------------

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:57pm
Gaillimh Abu

Was nervy last 10 but they held out and were solid in defence.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:29pm

It happened few years back with their hurlers but surely the gas has some plan in place as it is only a matter of time till they do win a championship game ( game is getting bigger over their with a number of American born players in the squad 1 of which is cj Molly who's father is from donegal and is the urgent New York manager)

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:40pm
Great victory for Galway U-21's this evening in Limerick Big smile I genuinely wasn't sure if we could do it but delighted we have. All area's of the pitch we were superb. Some of the defending in the first half in particular was excellent. I know I highlighted our previous opponents wasted chances but some credit is due to our defence for their tenacity and relentless tackling Clap At the other end of the field, some superb scores this evening from our forwards. They have done all championship and saved some of the best for last

Fair play to Cork for not giving up when falling 8 points behind, their full forward, Hurley, kept them in it with some fine scores of his own, including a brilliant goal but ultimately wasn't enough.

I said the midfield battle was crucial in the outcome of the game and Fintan O'Curraoin had a great game tonight, some great fielding in the middle of the park. Maybe, just maybe, he may become an effective mainstay of the Galway midfield for years to come. It is badly needed

I have more faith in some of these lads making the grade than the 2011 lot and while this year may prove too soon, no doubt in years to come we'll be seeing some of these lads line out at Senior and hopefully grab another All-Ireland or two in the future.

Hon The Tribesmen Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 12:15pm

It happened few years back with their hurlers but surely the gas has some plan in place as it is only a matter of time till they do win a championship game ( game is getting bigger over their with a number of American born players in the squad 1 of which is cj Molly who's father is from donegal and is the urgent New York manager)

They brought Leitrim to extra time a few years and pushed Galway very, very close one. With about 10 minutes to go it was looking like Galway were going out apparently and I mean properly because there was some anomaly that if Gawaly lost that game there would have been no backdoor for them as it is just assumed New York will lose and there is no place in the backdoor for that picture. Dont know if they have changed it now but Im almost certain Galway would have been out of the Champinship if they had lost that.

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 12:16pm
Fair play to Gaway last night by the way Clap

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 10:56pm
We're underway. Handy win for Leitrim in the end

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:01pm

Ah balls would've been interesting to see what would have happend if New York had of won Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:22pm
Ah I remember the first I heard of that near scare Galway had, I got the bus to college for my exams on the Bank Holiday monday, friend of mine in my class was there waiting. I had completely forgotten they were playing New York and had been out the night before, so I assumed they won handy before I was shot down immediately saying they nearly lost, the look of terror and concern over his face convincing me that it wasn't a joke LOL

Leitrim vs. Sligo will now be a very interesting semi-final next month. Wonder how many people would have expected them to win by 24 points? the biggest margin in recent years if I'm not mistaken. Won the FBD league this year too. Leitrim also won the last meeting between the two in 2011, which was a fairly big shock as Sligo had reached the final year before. If the odds are favourable I'd be tempted to stick a fiver on them for the upset.

-------------

Posted By: skippy87
Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:26pm
leitrim are alway hard to beat in carrick. sligo mite struggle to get past londan

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:31pm

Carrick can be a very difficult place to go. Well done Leitrim

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:34pm
Embarrassed How could I forget they are playing London

They've almost pulled off 2 upsets in the last 2 years but I don't know if they can do enough to beat Sligo to be honest. Think they really missed a chance with Leitrim game last year, never mind Mayo the year before!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:36pm

London have a great chance seeing as they brought Mayo to Extra Time in recent years Wink

-------------

Posted By: skippy87
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:15am
Leitrim 16/1 to win connacht. surely worth a few quid ew sayin in the semi final already.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:46am
Mulligan scored 3-07 playing full forward. Some shooting regardless of the opposition. We have a very young team and have been helped by the return of a couple lads who had been away of taken a year out most notably Gary Reynolds and Mossy Beirne. We do rely on Mulligan for the majority of our scores and if he is not firing we struggle to get over 10-12 points. We had a great FBD league campaign and was hoping we'd kick on and get promotion from Division 4 but we flattered to deceive a bit.

I agree we are hard to beat in Carrick however inevitably we end up on the wrong end of a 1 or 2 point defeat. We've won one championship game in Carrick in about 10 years (Wicklow last year) and should have beaten Laois the week after but apart from the dreded Morale victories against the likes of Galway, Mayo, Donegal & Meath we have underperformed at home for years. Roscommon came to Carrick in 2011 after we unexpectadly beat Sligo in Sligo and they tore us to pieces.

We've beaten Sligo in our last two meetings, championship in 2011 and this year in the FBD league final interestingly both times in markievicz park. Sligo have to get over a tricky tie in London first of all but I think they will. Assuming they do it will be a very tight game in Carrick against two evenly matched teams, wouldn't expect more than a point or two in it and it honestly could go either way.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

Mulligan scored 3-07 playing full forward. Some shooting regardless of the opposition. We have a very young team and have been helped by the return of a couple lads who had been away of taken a year out most notably Gary Reynolds and Mossy Beirne. We do rely on Mulligan for the majority of our scores and if he is not firing we struggle to get over 10-12 points. We had a great FBD league campaign and was hoping we'd kick on and get promotion from Division 4 but we flattered to deceive a bit.

I agree we are hard to beat in Carrick however inevitably we end up on the wrong end of a 1 or 2 point defeat. We've won one championship game in Carrick in about 10 years (Wicklow last year) and should have beaten Laois the week after but apart from the dreded Morale victories against the likes of Galway, Mayo, Donegal & Meath we have underperformed at home for years. Roscommon came to Carrick in 2011 after we unexpectadly beat Sligo in Sligo and they tore us to pieces.

We've beaten Sligo in our last two meetings, championship in 2011 and this year in the FBD league final interestingly both times in markievicz park. Sligo have to get over a tricky tie in London first of all but I think they will. Assuming they do it will be a very tight game in Carrick against two evenly matched teams, wouldn't expect more than a point or two in it and it honestly could go either way.

I was in carrick that night yous played donegal and we were very lucky to gt out of their with the win after extra time. If memory serves me right didn't big Durcan save a penalty that day.

Donegal got some great news over the weekend with Karl Lacey playing a full 70 minutes in a friendly against Galway which was played behind closed doors in Sligo. From the small bit of information I've heard donegal won well with murphy,McFadden and mcbearty all scoring well and the few injuried players we had all returned to play a part. All is great news in the build up to te Tyrone game. Only 20 days to go

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:22pm

They've almost pulled off 2 upsets in the last 2 years but I don't know if they can do enough to beat Sligo to be honest. Think they really missed a chance with Leitrim game last year, never mind Mayo the year before!

i was at both london games, it was never really in doubt for leitrim , they always looked like they would win it. the game against mayo though... jaysis LOLEmbarrassedLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by skippy87 skippy87 wrote:

Leitrim 16/1 to win connacht. surely worth a few quid ew sayin in the semi final already.

that's win only

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:27pm

Donegal got some great news over the weekend with Karl Lacey playing a full 70 minutes in a friendly against Galway which was played behind closed doors in Sligo. From the small bit of information I've heard donegal won well with murphy,McFadden and mcbearty all scoring well and the few injuried players we had all returned to play a part. All is great news in the build up to te Tyrone game. Only 20 days to go

Galway also played Kildare in a challenge on Sunday. you sure it was us you played? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:15pm

Galway also played Kildare in a challenge on Sunday. you sure it was us you played? Wink

Yup I'm sure game was played Friday night in Sligo and from what I've been hearing donegal won easy enough with mcbearty playing very well but no score has been released for the game. A lot of our players are striking form at the right time especially the 3 men from the FF line who are putting up decent scores with their clubs. Another big boost from Fridays friendly was mark mchugh playing last 15 minutes when it was feared he was not gonna be fit for the Tyrone game

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:18pm

i was at both london games, it was never really in doubt for leitrim , they always looked like they would win it. the game against mayo though... jaysis LOLEmbarrassedLOL

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:48pm
When will RTE release the  All Ireland  tv listings?will be at a wedding in Mayo when Kildare play Offaly in the championship opener,would hate to miss it, Dublin play later on the same day.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:50pm

Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

I was in carrick that night yous played donegal and we were very lucky to gt out of their with the win after extra time. If memory serves me right didn't big Durcan save a penalty that day.

Yeah that's right he did. Michael Murphy made his championship debut that evening as a 17 year old IIRC and scored 1-03. We scored a last minute goal to force extra time. We made a great start and were about 5/6 points up when Durcan saved the penalty and Ye went up the field and Murphy rattled the net.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

When will RTE release the  All Ireland  tv listings?will be at a wedding in Mayo when Kildare play Offaly in the championship opener,would hate to miss it, Dublin play later on the same day.

Could also be on TV3 I'd have thought it will probably this week or start of next week at the lastest as the Championship starts properly on 26th May.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:42pm
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

I'd happily forgotten TV3 had rights to show Championship games Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:46pm

Yup I'm sure game was played Friday night in Sligo and from what I've been hearing donegal won easy enough with mcbearty playing very well but no score has been released for the game. A lot of our players are striking form at the right time especially the 3 men from the FF line who are putting up decent scores with their clubs. Another big boost from Fridays friendly was mark mchugh playing last 15 minutes when it was feared he was not gonna be fit for the Tyrone game

we would have two different and probably makeshift sides for the weekend so, and Mulholland and Co. were in Limerick on Saturday as well

Though I wouldn't take much heed from these challenge games to be honest. Remember in 2011 after a sh*te league campaign where we got relegated, we bet reigning AI champions Cork in a challenge game. That result coupled with Mayo scraping past London, I regained all lost hope ahead of the semi-final clash in McHale Park LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:29pm

we would have two different and probably makeshift sides for the weekend so, and Mulholland and Co. were in Limerick on Saturday as well

Though I wouldn't take much heed from these challenge games to be honest. Remember in 2011 after a sh*te league campaign where we got relegated, we bet reigning AI champions Cork in a challenge game. That result coupled with Mayo scraping past London, I regained all lost hope ahead of the semi-final clash in McHale Park LOL

Yeah it's hard to take results from friendlies seriously. From what I've heard both sides had strong team out but more than likely trying different things out. The biggest positive for us is Lacey playing a full 70 minutes that was his 1st game since picking up a hip injury in the club championship. He's a vital part of our set up and was badly missed in the league.

Seems from reports from the county leagues that all our players are returning from injuries at just the right time which is crucial for us as haven't got the strength in dept like other counties have. Having a clean run of injuries had a massive part to play in us winning the AI last year

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:55pm
Got more info on that friendly del-piero it ended up donegal 1-21 Galway 2-09 with both teams playing very strong sides donegal started 14 of the team that started the all Ireland final and ost of the scoring was done by the full forward line which is good news for the game against Tyrone

-------------

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 08 May 2013 at 10:16pm
Just back from our senior fotoball 1st round game against Boden and we f**kinh threw it awayAngry 4 point up going into injury time and we ended up losing by 6 after extra time.
O Conailghe on a side note destroyed mcauley and o mahony in midfield, mcauley as usual too busy talking sh*te to ref and trying to act the hradman

Date Posted: 09 May 2013 at 11:58am
Originally posted by The Big Club The Big Club wrote:

Just back from our senior fotoball 1st round game against Boden and we f**kinh threw it awayAngry 4 point up going into injury time and we ended up losing by 6 after extra time.
O Conailghe on a side note destroyed mcauley and o mahony in midfield, mcauley as usual too busy talking sh*te to ref and trying to act the hradman

Ballyboden Wanderers haven't played championship yet, you were beaten by Firhouse Rovers.

Try not to confuse us with that shower again Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 1:54pm
So it all starts today again. The big game in the west should be interesting but feel mayo will just have to much for Galway and will pull away in the last 10-15 minutes to win by a few points. Did a little accumulator with the money refunded by pp

Cavan minors 2/1
Cavan 15/8
Westmeath (-4) 1/2
Mayo (-1) 5/6

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:01pm
Comfortable wins for Armagh, Westmeath and Mayo.

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:02pm
Cavan keeper looks like a finely tuned athlete

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:02pm
It'll always be tight with us and galway. there seems to be way more mayo fans knocking around in salthill.id say mayo will outnumber galway in support today and hopefully in points as well.

ill have a great view from my prawn sandwich executive box in the stand   

One thing ill say for Galway, Pearse Stadium is a class ground.Way nicer than McHale Park

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:03pm
Givney in midfield for Cavan is a class act. Seen him against us in the league. Made a show of our midfield

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:04pm
Off to Cusack Park in a bit to see Westmeath play Carlow. We should win comfortably. There should be at least 6 or 7 points in it at the end.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:04pm
Galway would be a fantastic outside bet today if the odds were any bit above evens imo

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Off to Cusack Park in a bit to see Westmeath play Carlow. We should win comfortably. There should be at least 6 or 7 points in it at the end.

was living in Carlow for 4 years in college and I dont remember them winning anything at home so god knows what their away form is like

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Galway would be a fantastic outside bet today if the odds were any bit above evens imo

Nearly 2/1 for a reason, they are sh*te.

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:20pm
Galway will beat Mayo. Pearse stadium is a nice ground but its in a terrible area,pure **** getting in and out of there.

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:26pm
Would love if Galway could manage a win but I just cannot see that happening.

Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:33pm

Any idea where the Galway Mayo match will be streamed?

-------------
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:34pm
Fancy Galway to upset mayo today. Galway are due a big performance after the last couple of years and I think today could be the day. Hate Pearse Stadium myself, nightmare getting in and out of the area and it's a fairly open stadium so no matter how nice of a day it is the wind is also howling through it.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

Any idea where the Galway Mayo match will be streamed?

RTÉ player.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:35pm
Cavan well on top here. Clarke hasn't got a sniff of it

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

This is a really good Cavan team made up of the u21 sides from last 3 years. Armagh fully reliant on Jamie Clarke to get them scores

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:42pm

This is a really good Cavan team made up of the u21 sides from last 3 years. Armagh fully reliant on Jamie Clarke to get them scores
grimely is going to have to make some major changes at half time if armagh are to make any sort of game of it. Forker is shambolic today

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:48pm

grimely is going to have to make some major changes at half time if armagh are to make any sort of game of it. Forker is shambolic today

He's already used 2 subs trying to counteract cavans system and it hasn't helped at all. If Cavan were to take all their chances this game would be over. 15/8 was crazy odds for Cavan to win

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:49pm
Very easy to say that now ringer, still plenty of time left 5 points is not much.

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Very easy to say that now ringer, still plenty of time left 5 points is not much.

Yeah I agree sono plenty of time left but this a very poor Armagh team hence why I've Cavan backed in my accumulator. If Cavan took their chances the game would be over already and fancy if they can contain Clarke again in this half will win

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:58pm
I did Cavan + 2 .I saw Roscommon keep Clarke quiet last year and once they did that Armagh were sh*te.It took Roscommon most of the first half to get to grips with them but once they did they coasted.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net