Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=44083
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 10:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wedding Bands
Posted By: FiremanDan
Subject: Wedding Bands
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:38pm
Have been trying to do as little as possible in relation to organising the wedding but I have come to the conclusion that if I leave her to it entirely, it could end up a disaster with regard to the music. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on it but I reckon a really decent band is pretty important, I know everyone will be generally gee eyed by the time they play and even mediocre bands sound magnificent when everyone is pissed.

Anyway can anyone recommend a decent band? I've contacted a few and seen some of them and they all seem to be much of a muchness, identical playlists with all the usual wedding "favourites" (I use the word favourite very loosely. I know the masses need to be pleased but I'm looking for a band that might do something a bit different (and well) by playing some alternative stuff.

Any help either here or by PM would be welcome.

Thanks.

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Replies:
Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:43pm
If your into Irish trad, with some new stuff try the buachaills
http://http://m.thebuachaills.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Fabout%2Dus&fw_sig_tier=1&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_site=105174852&fw_sig_url=http://www.thebuachaills.com/&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_access_token=ad30770ebc36551f7ff04a03e535cdd4e95faed5&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig=7004e30e8ed8fc9bd16fcb0fdc8e9868&fw_sig_session_key=e9ebd4dbac76306e129bb5e24dc4635c9595e19a4a2523f531133f60272e0ef4-105174852&fw_sig_premium=1&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_time=1366580685553&fb_sig_network=fw#0210" rel="nofollow - http://m.thebuachaills.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Fabout%2Dus&fw_sig_tier=1&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_site=105174852&fw_sig_url=http://www.thebuachaills.com/&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_access_token=ad30770ebc36551f7ff04a03e535cdd4e95faed5&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig=7004e30e8ed8fc9bd16fcb0fdc8e9868&fw_sig_session_key=e9ebd4dbac76306e129bb5e24dc4635c9595e19a4a2523f531133f60272e0ef4-105174852&fw_sig_premium=1&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_time=1366580685553&fb_sig_network=fw#0210

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:46pm
Best Wedding band - Hard to Touch.
Im sure they have a website or FB page.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:54pm
Spring Break Thumbs Up

http://springbreak80s.com/meet-the-band/jan-van-couver/" rel="nofollow - http://springbreak80s.com/meet-the-band/jan-van-couver/

Been to two weddings where they played. Deadly craic and serious floor fillers.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Cheers for that. Saw them last night at a wedding (on the sly - but with the blessing of the Bride), the venue wasn't ideal but good to know they come recommended.

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Posted By: Lodger
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Spring Break Thumbs Up

http://springbreak80s.com/meet-the-band/jan-van-couver/" rel="nofollow - http://springbreak80s.com/meet-the-band/jan-van-couver/

Agreed. By far the best band I've seen at a wedding.

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Spring Break Thumbs Up

No Rock The Boat Thumbs Down but they do play the Top Gun Anthem Cool

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 11:04pm
Any band that does not play Rock The Boat have no place on a wedding stage

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 11:06pm
After Dark pretty good, seen them play at a couple of weddings.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 11:12pm
The seducers, best wedding band I have seen at around five weddings.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by FiremanDan FiremanDan wrote:

Cheers for that. Saw them last night at a wedding (on the sly - but with the blessing of the Bride), the venue wasn't ideal but good to know they come recommended.

They are quality. Saw them about 6 weeks ago. Recommend them bigtime

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:39am
Helped a mate out with the wedding band there last year, basically they all look crap on Youtube, but will be great after a day of drinking.

Spring Break are great, but expensive. We went with The Aristocrats in the end.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

My brother plays in After Dark. I'm glad you gave them a plug so I wouldn't have to.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:34am
Weightless Astronauts in Galway....

Great entertainers and recommended

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

My brother plays in After Dark. I'm glad you gave them a plug so I wouldn't have to.

Good band Darmack.

Ps you owe me €50

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

you book yours yet?

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 11:30am
Cool Breeze did my wedding. Top notch.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 11:38am
I've booked the wiseguys for mine.

Saw them at a few showcases and they were good. Different story with a few pints on board anyway.

Got a bit sick of going to watch bands before we picked one.

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 12:36pm
I've booked the Poor Boys for mine.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 2:59pm
[QUOTE=Funsize Crouchy]I've booked the wiseguys for mine.

Saw them at a few showcases and they were good. Different story with a few pints on board anyway.

Got a bit sick of going to watch bands before we picked one.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain! Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:06pm

I feel your pain! Dead

We went to see a quartet for Church music last Saturday. I told her they were great and we should book them.

I'm not going around churches for the next few weeks listening to classical sh*te.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:09pm
I read the title and thought this thread was about the rings  Embarrassed

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Don't get me started on the poxy rings...

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

I feel your pain! Dead

We went to see a quartet for Church music last Saturday. I told her they were great and we should book them.

I'm not going around churches for the next few weeks listening to classical sh*te.

One of the few good things about getting married in another country to where you live (I'm getting married in Dublin, live in London) is that I don't have to go to 50 strangers' weddings to listen to the band or the church musicians.
My wedding band are mates of my brother, saw them do a gig in a pub, pretty good, let's book them.

The church musician is just a guitarist, we've just gone by what's on his website.

This business of checking out loads of different bands is ridiculous, if you like the first one you see, then you like the first one you see, no need to go see a load of others. If you don't like them, then check out another one, if the first lot are too expensive, check out another one, I don't understand why people would keep looking if they've found someone they like and who are in budget.

If women want to waste their time looking for clothes in 10 shops before buying the first thing they saw then that's their business, but no way should they be allowed to bring that sort of rubbish into other aspects of life.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:42pm

So did I. In fairness, it was an easy mistake to make.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

I feel your pain! Dead

One of the few good things about getting married in another country to where you live (I'm getting married in Dublin, live in London) is that I don't have to go to 50 strangers' weddings to listen to the band or the church musicians.
My wedding band are mates of my brother, saw them do a gig in a pub, pretty good, let's book them.

The church musician is just a guitarist, we've just gone by what's on his website.

This business of checking out loads of different bands is ridiculous, if you like the first one you see, then you like the first one you see, no need to go see a load of others. If you don't like them, then check out another one, if the first lot are too expensive, check out another one, I don't understand why people would keep looking if they've found someone they like and who are in budget.

If women want to waste their time looking for clothes in 10 shops before buying the first thing they saw then that's their business, but no way should they be allowed to bring that sort of rubbish into other aspects of life.

God forbid you would be flexible or change even a little bit to accommodate the woman you are going to spend the rest of your life with....

-------------

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:19pm

I feel your pain! Dead

your an expert at this stage, must have seen every wedding band in Dublin!
Can guarantee you'll be looking at music again this weekend Thumbs Up

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I feel your pain! Dead

God forbid you would be flexible or change even a little bit to accommodate the woman you are going to spend the rest of your life with....
My lawyer has advised me to clarify that I was referring to women in general not to any specific woman.

It is, of course, very important to accomodate people, particularly if you plan to spend the rest of your life with them. I am simply pointing out that it is inefficient to expend extra energy on searching for an item or a service when you have already found one that meets your criteria, whether that is a band, either of the musical or the precious metal variety, a pair of jeans or anything else.
If your criteria change after the search has begun that is different, but if not why continue searching once you have found what you are searching for?

Posted By: Roll_It_There
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:58pm

+1

-------------
Twitter @roisin_ob

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

I feel your pain! Dead

your an expert at this stage, must have seen every wedding band in Dublin!
Can guarantee you'll be looking at music again this weekend Thumbs Up

Not this weekend. All music is now booked.

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 4:12am
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

you book yours yet?

Sure at his rate he's already married with 4 hairy ginger bogey kids, did you not hear?!

-------------

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:52pm
Bump

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:01am
Was at the cousins wedding there a couple of weeks ago and every concievable buffer wedding tune was belted out at it    . I think they play Sweet Caroline on a loop at Guantanamo Bay as its fcukin torture to listen,nevermind dance to it.
The cousin had good tunes on in the background during the meal but they have to cater for the elderly relatives I suppose.Its obligatory at any west of Ireland wedding to have at least two Neil Diamond tunes

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 11:38am
I foam at the mouth when Sweet Caroline starts up, fookin sh*ttest tune in history.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: MarkDev
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:14pm
Have a band called Free Beer playing at mine in October..very good

-------------
Limerick your a Lady!

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:21pm

I've booked the Poor Boys for mine.
These guys were (and presumably still are) excellent by the way. They can DJ and sort out church music too.

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:26pm
Fook the old fogies and go for a young band. If I was getting married id be getting Smash Hits. all the 90's dance music etc - deadly!!

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by MarkDev MarkDev wrote:

Have a band called Free Beer playing at mine in October..very good

TOP CLASS
used see these guys 3/4 nights a week while in college sound aul skins too often play in hotel i work in for wedding well worth it
they are sound out too 

Posted By: MarkDev
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 9:29pm
Ya they are good alright...have seen them loads of time...what hotel you working in?

-------------
Limerick your a Lady!

Posted By: GreenTribe
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 10:36pm
Men actually give in and go along to listen to loads of bands and church music?
Suckers. Sounds like torture. Do yis get forced to go to wedding fairs too? Nightmare.

-------------
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:15am
Booked Spring Break for mine Cool

80's hits all the way

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by MarkDev MarkDev wrote:

Ya they are good alright...have seen them loads of time...what hotel you working in?

Devon hotel out in templeglantine

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 2:20pm
My friend plays in a wedding band called SuperFly they are very good check out their Facebook page they do a mean version of Stevie Wonder's Superstition gets them out on the floor.

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 7:28pm

LOL

Posted By: shoggy
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 10:15pm
Anyone recommend any daycent wedding bands around Louth/Armagh/Down area?  Was going to book Sugar Town Road but they're already booked Angry

-------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 10:24pm
Electric Avenue from Drogheda. 
Saw them at a wedding a couple of years ago and they were excellent.

They're pretty pricey though, I was quoted €2200 when I enquired for my own wedding, at least I think that's pricey, didn't go with them in the end.

http://www.electricavenue.ie/" rel="nofollow - http://www.electricavenue.ie/

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 10:35pm
Was having a look on their website earlier, they look excellent but a bit pricey alrite for a 2 hour set

-------------

Posted By: Mick_G
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:40pm
Had the panoramics at mine.quality band if ya like the stones,doors,Beatles all that kinda stuff

Mrs says to yer man "so do ya play any West life or anything".yer man turns around says love if that's what your after were not for you.had the deposit in his hand before he could finish the sentence great band and floor was full all night

-------------
@mickgleeson82

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 3:32am

Electric Avenue from Drogheda. 
Saw them at a wedding a couple of years ago and they were excellent.

They're pretty pricey though, I was quoted €2200 when I enquired for my own wedding, at least I think that's pricey, didn't go with them in the end.

http://www.electricavenue.ie/" rel="nofollow - http://www.electricavenue.ie/

Who'd you end up going with Hoosay?

Got talking Electric Avenue's manager Alan during the week, sound oul skin and he quoted me 2200 as well, I told him it was above our budget and he asked what our budget was, I told him 1500, he was willing to drop the price to 1800 but wouldn't go any lower..shows ya if you don't agree right away they will drop the price! Ended up booking the Nooks from Contae an Dúin, heard them a few times in the Bot in Belfast and Canal Dort in Newry..told herself I was away with the lads to listen to them tonight in Dundalk, ended up feckin steamin an never left the local so downloaded a video of them from youtube for her..jaysus I'll get some brownie points for this wan  Hug Shoogy 1 - 0 Herself Heart

-------------

Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:05am
Anyone know what an average price would be for the band? Recently engaged and would love smash hits and just want to know how much above average they are.

Think I'd rather spend slightly less on a venue and more on band to make sure people have a good session.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:51am
My mate had Smash hits at his wedding a few months ago. Class band. Spent the whole time dancing. Some class 90's tunes.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:58am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

My mate had Smash hits at his wedding a few months ago. Class band. Spent the whole time dancing. Some class 90's tunes.

If you know ballpark how much they were would you mind sending me a PM?

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 9:05am
I paid €2,300 which included the DJ set

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 9:08am
Spring Break are far better than Smash Hits, think you can get them for similar coin

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

If you know ballpark how much they were would you mind sending me a PM?
I've no idea how much he paid and TBH, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking him.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 9:29am
Seen a band "the covers" at a wedding recently and they were absolutely brilliant. had the whole place rocking. Pal of mine booked them there and then for her own wedding next year.

Smash hits and Spring Break are excellent but hold ye by the balls with the cost because of their popularity. I'd shop around if on a budget.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Anyone know what an average price would be for the band? Recently engaged and would love smash hits and just want to know how much above average they are.

Think I'd rather spend slightly less on a venue and more on band to make sure people have a good session.
Sent you a PM there buddy.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 10:59am
Superfly are the best wedding band in Ireland.
http://www.superflycovers.com/video/higher_and_higher/higher_and_higher.php

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 12:42pm
The seducers, best wedding band around. Yer man goes apesh*t on stage. I would guess between€1500 and €2000 would be the cost.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:03am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

The seducers, best wedding band around. Yer man goes apesh*t on stage. I would guess between€1500 and €2000 would be the cost.
booked these lads for mine. They look unreal. Anyone see them lately?
Anyone ever price harlequin? Around 6k and a dj is €800

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:25am
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Here is me thinking you would hire myself, phillyk amd your mate along with you to do that westlife song like we did on an away trip before 😂😂😂

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:18am
We've skipped the 5 piece band for ours, same stuff at most weddings at in he end mostly forgettable. Went down the route of checking out bands in pubs and what bands got people having the craic. Was almost going to go for a trad band but the missus vetoed. We settled on who's eddie who are always great for getting people up on the dance floor and play songs we like and they are very reasonable priced compared to what some of me mates/family have spent on fairly generic 5 piece bands

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:41am
Cousin of mine got married just over a year ago and got a crooner fella with a backing track and a microphone as his "wedding band". As you can expect it was an absolute shambles of a wedding reception.

Take my advice, don't skimp on the cost of a band like he did!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

We settled on who's eddie who are always great for getting people up on the dance floor and play songs we like and they are very reasonable priced compared to what some of me mates/family have spent on fairly generic 5 piece bands
Absolute sh*te, fat kunts.

I would veto a wedding if they were on the bill.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:19am
A good band makes the night so its a decision that has to be got right

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:20am

We settled on who's eddie who are always great for getting people up on the dance floor and play songs we like and they are very reasonable priced compared to what some of me mates/family have spent on fairly generic 5 piece bands

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:22am

You won't be dissapointed. Saw a clip of them awhile ago of them doing killing in the name of by rage against the machine at a wedding.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:35am

You won't be dissapointed. Saw a clip of them awhile ago of them doing killing in the name of by rage against the machine at a wedding.
That's just maaaaaaaaaad! I don't think I will ever understand Ireland's bizarre obsession with weddings.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:36am

The 3 girls knock ye back Gaz in your younger days

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Bought the fat kunt a JD and coke aswell.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That's just maaaaaaaaaad! I don't think I will ever understand Ireland's bizarre obsession with weddings.

They do some Morrissey covers too that might cheer you up at a wedding

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:35am

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Bought the fat kunt a JD and coke aswell.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:50am

They do some Morrissey covers too that might cheer you up at a wedding

Haven't been able to listen to him since he devoted himself fully to the old racism. Anyway, nothing could cheer me up at an Irish wedding, bar an outbreak of food poisoning manifesting itself on the dance floor.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:19pm
Having worked in a hotel that does a lot of weddings, I can confirm that the majority of wedding bands are absolute sh*te. The ones that are good tend to cost a fair bit, but are a major improvement on the rest.

As for DJs, all of them are w*nk. No exceptions.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Having worked in a hotel that does a lot of weddings, I can confirm that the majority of wedding bands are absolute sh*te. The ones that are good tend to cost a fair bit, but are a major improvement on the rest.

Well I'm sure there are going to be no Tiesto's at irish weddings, but how hard is it to stick on a few songs to fill the dancefloor? Most are much of a muchness surely.
The bride and groom will tell them what songs to play a lot of the time

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Well I'm sure there are going to be no Tiesto's at irish weddings, but how hard is it to stick on a few songs to fill the dancefloor? Most are much of a muchness surely.

If they are the ones telling these DJs to play Thunderstruck, Living On A Prayer and that f*ckin Black Eyed Peas song on repeat all night, they need to be f*cked out the door

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:43pm
We had a band called Soul Purpose at ours. Thought they were great. The DJ was sh*te like every wedding.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:51pm
Most bands stay on for an hour or so after and do the DJ-ing themselves these days I thought

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 1:35pm

Most bands stay on for an hour or so after and do the DJ-ing themselves these days I thought
That's common enough now alright

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Cousin of mine got married just over a year ago and got a crooner fella with a backing track and a microphone as his "wedding band". As you can expect it was an absolute shambles of a wedding reception.

Take my advice, don't skimp on the cost of a band like he did!

LOL LOL 

It'll be the only thing anyone remembers as well 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 1:57pm

Exactly, they just have to play whatever keeps them happy 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:00pm
If you're a teenager of the 90's and have a decent wedge to spend then give Smash Hits a whirl 
http://www.smashhits.ie/" rel="nofollow - http://www.smashhits.ie/

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Why not make a playlist and hook it up to the speakers? Cheaper and you don't have some pollock doing a Ray Vaughan impersonation over every song.

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:23pm

Why not make a playlist and hook it up to the speakers? Cheaper and you don't have some pollock doing a Ray Vaughan impersonation over every song.

https://youtu.be/4qpoToJ2Au0" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/4qpoToJ2Au0

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:42pm
Always thought it was 'Ray Vaughan', thinking about it, that would only work with an Irish accent.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:51pm

If you're a teenager of the 90's and have a decent wedge to spend then give Smash Hits a whirl 
http://www.smashhits.ie/" rel="nofollow - http://www.smashhits.ie/

Saw them at Electric Picnic, they were good in fairness and the tent was packed
Saying that, I was fair full BeerLOL

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/01/10/5-things-all-best-men-should-put-in-every-wedding-speech/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article" rel="nofollow - http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/01/10/5-things-all-best-men-should-put-in-every-wedding-speech/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:44pm
2k for some wedding bands! f**k sake, madness paying that

-------------

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:34pm
Can never see the point in dj's playing at weddings....the bands normally struggle at the start to get people up after the dinner or until people are tanked then they play on for a bit longer than they should and most people are normally done at that stage....some sh*tbox dj comes out then to play muck music to a half empty dance floor....just get the band to play longer and skip the dj

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Can never see the point in dj's playing at weddings....the bands normally struggle at the start to get people up after the dinner or until people are tanked then they play on for a bit longer than they should and most people are normally done at that stage....some sh*tbox dj comes out then to play muck music to a half empty dance floor....just get the band to play longer and skip the dj
Either you've been at some really bad weddings or had a some really bad dj's

-------------

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:11am
Seamus Moore would do the job for me!

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Seamus Moore would do the job for me!
Fluthered on the moon. Clap

-------------

Posted By: CSCD
Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:21pm
Where'd my thread go? LOL
There were some great suggestions in it.Ouch

Posted By: nefarelo
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:18pm
If you're interested in hiring an irish band, check these - they slapped at our event  Big smile Seriously speaking, very professional and intelligent guys who love what they do; enjoyed their sound a lot.

Posted By: Jukebox
Date Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:59pm
Lads a lot of bitching about the DJ after the Band. 
But the DJ usually has a suggested list of songs from the Bride and Groom. 
In some instances I have had a list of music that would cover 10 hours to be played in 1-5 to 2 hours. 
What do you think is wrong with the mix of songs or what do you think makes DJ rubbish in your opinions.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:19pm
suppose you’ll have a mix who expect the usual type of wedding songs. I thought I could name some but when I started to actually think of it I could only think of 2, summer of 69 and 500 miles. 
And then others who want more current songs. 
By the time the DJ is on you’re probably well on by that stage anyway. 

As for wedding bands that’s my brothers profession and they’re fecked at the moment. Even when pubs reopen there won’t be any music and weddings cancelled all the way to October. 
A friend of his is a manager of a hotel and even then they don’t want music at weddings. Basically want people to have scaled back numbers, eat their dinner and then go home. 

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:28pm
The request of, playing of and dancing to of  'Summer of '69' should lead to many happy occasions: all of them funerals for those involved.

-------------

Posted By: cullenswood
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:54pm
I banned our wedding DJ from playing 500 miles.   I despise the song and I think it might also be the root of my hate for the Scottish accent.

Posted By: SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

suppose you’ll have a mix who expect the usual type of wedding songs. I thought I could name some but when I started to actually think of it I could only think of 2, summer of 69 and 500 miles. 
And then others who want more current songs. 
By the time the DJ is on you’re probably well on by that stage anyway. 

As for wedding bands that’s my brothers profession and they’re fecked at the moment. Even when pubs reopen there won’t be any music and weddings cancelled all the way to October. 
A friend of his is a manager of a hotel and even then they don’t want music at weddings. Basically want people to have scaled back numbers, eat their dinner and then go home. 

Its not that the hotels that don't want it its the government. 
Hotels will be pushing to have weddings as normal asap but likely won't be allowed, we've been able to serve alcohol to the frontline workers we have staying on days off etc and even then trying to get people to respect social distancing/ keep apart is almost impossible to enforce, can't see how small pubs could ever enforce it when they are going to have half the staff they had before 

As a hotel manager and also getting married this year can see it from both sides. Starting to think its not worth the wait until August to see how it goes and just postpone a year

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:07am
i banned the band and DJ at my wedding from playing Ed Shernan, the Beatles and other f**king muck. First 3 songs were from INXS, Thin Lizzy and Frank and the Walters  Clap

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net