Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43960
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 12:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: England match Lansdowne Road 1995 - Were you there
Posted By: Stephenpf
Subject: England match Lansdowne Road 1995 - Were you there
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:44am
Were you at the abandoned Ireland v England match at Lansdowne Road in 1995? I'm looking to speak to a fan who was there for a piece I'm writing for the BBC Sport website. Please get in contact if you're interested.

Replies:
Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:52am
I was there. Horrible night. Loads of posters on this forum were there.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:55am
yes

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:56am
I was there also, frightening enough experience as a 12 year old.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:56am
Yep

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:02am
Many thanks for your reply. Would be interested in speaking to you for the above mentioned feature. Please let me know if you are happy to speak.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:06am
Right lads, who wants to do an article with the BBC for their website?

Quick, before the usual media-whores get in on it!

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:08am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Right lads, who wants to do an article with the BBC for their website?

Quick, before the usual media-whores get in on it!

LOL

I wasn't there but let me know rolo if he wants it from a barstooler perspective Big smile

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:08am
I'd be happy to

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:11am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I'd be happy to

Thanks. Please let me know the best way to get in contact with you.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:12am
was 5 watching that at home on the tv, dad was at it, was too young to understand what was going on but dad has only been to three internationals since

I found out years later the kid with his dad on rte news was on my school and got the sh*t sl*gged out of him for it

edit@ stephen, i thanked you for ur three posts there, if someone else does same of you post one more comment you will be able to pm the lads above

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Stephenpf Stephenpf wrote:

I'd be happy to

I think stephenpf will not be able to send Private messages until he has 20 posts or sumthing.
But i think he can receive them so FHN maybe PM your email address to him?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:16am
I thanked him there. He has 20 points so can send PMs now.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:20am

I'd be happy to

I think stephenpf will not be able to send Private messages until he has 20 posts or sumthing.

But i think he can receive them so FHN maybe PM your email address to him?
I just sent it to him there.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Charlo
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:21am

Were you at the abandoned Ireland v England match at Lansdowne Road in 1995? I'm looking to speak to a fan who was there for a piece I'm writing for the BBC Sport website. Please get in contact if you're interested.

Was there too - remember it like it was only last week! Great night and victory :-)

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:21am

Thanks Rolo - just trying to PM now. Haven't used this forum before. How do I PM? Thanks.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:23am
if you have received his PM, you can just click the reply button below the message.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:23am

Thanks Rolo - just trying to PM now. Haven't used this forum before. How do I PM? Thanks.

He's just PM'd me so you can ignore that. Thanks again.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Charlo Charlo wrote:

Was there too - remember it like it was only last week! Great night and victory :-)

Terry Venables' first defeat ClapClap

-------------

Posted By: Charlo
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:27am

Originally posted by Charlo Charlo wrote:

Terry Venables' first defeat ClapClap

Matt Le Tissier being bummed up big time......I remember, and if the Irish could contain him :-)

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:38am
was there meself as an 11 year old with my dad, we were in the east stand terrace and since i was onle a wee fella i couldnt really see what was happening on the pitch, could see everything else though

a good few people left once the trouble started but i remember we waited around until the announcement was made that the game was been abandoned

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:46am
Could tell from the Minute we entered the ground there was going to be bother.Gardai and security let the enlish crowd away with everything including one clown conducting the Garda band.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:51am
Still the most frightening experience I ever had, as most kids I see my dad as a hero and invincible but that night even though he tried to put on a brave face I could tell he was really in fear of what might happen and getting his 12 year old home safe and sound.

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 11:27am
I was there as a 9 year old. Was on the north terrace which was more jammers than usual. I was panicking because I couldn't see the game but then some man sat me in the mettle bar in front of him while me dad stood in front. Best seat in the house I remember the man and my dad joking.
That was one of the first games where there was a giant tricolour being passed across the terrace and remember it passing over my head, the atmosphere was boiling.
Remember well the celebrations when Kelly scored and soon after the trouble started. From where I was there was a great view. I didn't know what was going on when the players were called off the pitch. Eventually the announcer confirmed the match was called off. Remember me dad being extra careful holding on to me as we left the stadium.
Remember the amount of blue sirons whizzung past us as we made our drive back to tallaght as guards obviously came in from all sides of the city for a bit of the action. Remember getting home and me mam being delighted we were ok. Remember that picture of the lost looking boy on the pitch the news kept highlighting. Finally remember the guards bating the sh*te out of the scum

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:14pm
Was on the North Terrace as well, there was also a small knot of English Fans on the NT fenced in on the right hand side. As soon as the trouble started  they charged down the back of the terrace and ran to the pitch and joined up the other lot in the WS. Some Irish fans let themselves down by spitting and throwing boots at them as they ran past.

All that afternoon before the game there was a serious air of malevolence around the town, lots of different small clusters of pissed up brits milling around being trailed by Guards. I was in The Harp on O'Connell Br. before the game and a crowd of Brits tried to get in and got a bit uppity when they were refused. We could see all sorts of little rows going on outside. There was actually 4 brits in the Harp at the time who were ok but got a bit nervous when the place filled up with Irish fans nearer the kick-off. They were politely asked to leave which they did.

A lot of Brits came in on the morning ferry and the guards were caught by surprised. The game in 1990 where it was an early afternoon Kick-off 1.00pm (?) so it gave the brits very little chance to get tanked up whereas in '95 they were drinking all day.

Ironically enough the atmosphere at the match was cracking until the sh*t hit the fan. And the rest is history.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:33pm
Was there also in the East Lower Stand but near the North Terrace end.  Just knew it was gonna kick off to be honest, I thought the whole thing was a stupid idea by the FAI.  A miralce nobody was killed.  Times have changed with English fans but that night really made my blood boil.

On the park we'd scored a magnificent team goal and Paul McGrath had already zipped up his pocket with Shearer inside it.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Was on the North Terrace as well, there was also a small knot of English Fans on the NT fenced in on the right hand side. As soon as the trouble started  they charged down the back of the terrace and ran to the pitch and joined up the other lot in the WS. Some Irish fans let themselves down by spitting and throwing boots at them as they ran past.

All that afternoon before the game there was a serious air of malevolence around the town, lots of different small clusters of pissed up brits milling around being trailed by Guards. I was in The Harp on O'Connell Br. before the game and a crowd of Brits tried to get in and got a bit uppity when they were refused. We could see all sorts of little rows going on outside. There was actually 4 brits in the Harp at the time who were ok but got a bit nervous when the place filled up with Irish fans nearer the kick-off. They were politely asked to leave which they did.

A lot of Brits came in on the morning ferry and the guards were caught by surprised. The game in 1990 where it was an early afternoon Kick-off 1.00pm (?) so it gave the brits very little chance to get tanked up whereas in '95 they were drinking all day.

Ironically en
ough the atmosphere at the match was cracking until the sh*t hit the fan. And the rest is history.

Good point about the evening kick-off, the 1990 game was a 3pm kick-off as Lansdowne Road didn't have floodlights then.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:55pm
Missed this and it still annoys the crap outa me. Had my tickets and all, but was in Transition year at the time. A trip had been arranged to Dublin to visit the Dail and see Brendan Behans Borstal Boy in the Gaiety. Watched the action unfold in the Dail restaurant. School told my mother I'd be suspended if I went to the match and missed the trip. We stayed in the Avalon House hostel on Aungier st. Few Brits staying in there. From what I remember they were alright but they were still Brits that night.

Posted By: Gaillimh Abu
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 12:59pm
Was on the South terrace myself. We were playing great stuff and took a deserved lead, think we would have added to it if those lunatics had behaved themselves. I remember we landed up in Dublin around 3pm that day, the minute we hit O'Connell Street one could feel the tension in the air which grew by the hour. After the match we couldn't even get into McDonalds as the shutters came down everywhere.

-------------
To try and fail is understandable but to fail to try is inexcusable

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:06pm

I could have swordnthe game in 1990 was an early kick-off..........1pm springs to mind

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:46pm

I could have swordnthe game in 1990 was an early kick-off..........1pm springs to mind

I'd have the match programme in my gaff, must dig it out, but I think you're right Cabra, that defo was an early start.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

I'd have the match programme in my gaff, must dig it out, but I think you're right Cabra, that defo was an early start.

Says 13:30 on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1992_qualifying_Group_7" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1992_qualifying_Group_7

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 1:59pm
Amazing to say you could get 46,000 for mid week game at 1pm back then. And they played Poland on Wednesday in May, at 2pm and they 48,000 at it crazy stuff.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 2:03pm
I remember the Poland game was an early kick off. My dad took me out of school at lunch time to go home and watch the game on TV ClapClap

He started bringing me to games then the following year (92) which meant a lot more half days from school Clap to travel up to Dublin to go to the games!

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 2:20pm

I remember the Poland game was an early kick off. My dad took me out of school at lunch time to go home and watch the game on TV ClapClap

He started bringing me to games then the following year (92) which meant a lot more half days from school Clap to travel up to Dublin to go to the games!

I remember us getting a half day off school for the Poland game - Hard to see a day where they would happen again !

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:41pm
we had north terrace tickets for the England game but the auld lad brought us into the South terrace so be closer to the away fans. don't know what was louder, the cheer for Kelly's goal or the cheer when the riot squad came in and started cracking skulls.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:50pm
Those 2 polish games costs dearly especially the 3-3 in Poznan, 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go. 86th minute equaliser. Had we held on for a win we would have won the group, instead England done us by a point. In the final group games we won 3-1 in Turkey and England (that smug bastard) got a late equaliser in Poland. Firmly believe Euro 1992 was our best chance of getting to the later stages of a competition and was there for the winning. As it was the Danes won it only by getting an entry because of the balkan war.

Imagine some 20 years later young irish lads would be doing much better at breaching tight polish defences.........

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I remember us getting a half day off school for the Poland game - Hard to see a day where they would happen again !

It is! Different era. Great days.

If Im ever a parent I'll make sure my son/daughter is allowed out of school to watch an Ireland match.

-------------

Posted By: irish boogie
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:07pm
Was there myself was mental, Was working up Parnell st at the time and remember the boss ringing saying close the shutters as the english fans were running amok on o connell st the day of the game. As a west ham fan i remember just before the crowd trouble kicked off Paul Ince went to take a corner and i was at the front of terrace and having the craic shouting at him when all of a sudden it went mad in the stands we eventually got out and walked back to our local the Hill 16 and just as we got to pub could hear a big roar and thought sh*t they mustve re -started the game but they were still showing on RTE and the roar was for the Gardai charging in to crowd with Batons LOL  Took loads of stick that night as a lot of the english had Hammers on their Union Jacks

-------------
Thank You Torun and Tyskie

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:22pm
South Terrace
Got off school the day before for the u21 game in Dallyer

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:33pm

Ironically enough the atmosphere at the match was cracking until the sh*t hit the fan. And the rest is history.

Yep, we couldn't get South Terrace tickets either so 4 of us were on the North. That group that came out of the right hand pen of the North after a steward opened it by mistake and ran under the terrace before bursting through didn't really get reported but there was a serious crush when they burst through the exit to get onto the pitch, I was lifted off my feet and carried back about 10 feet. The 4 of us were on yokes and all, total buzz kill after the high of the goal!

In 1990 all the trouble was on O'Connell St after the game, it was carnage up there. We got locked into the Daniel O'Connell by the guards after,suited us fine!

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Yep, we couldn't get South Terrace tickets either so 4 of us were on the North. That group that came out of the right hand pen of the North after a steward opened it by mistake and ran under the terrace before bursting through didn't really get reported but there was a serious crush when they burst through the exit to get onto the pitch, I was lifted off my feet and carried back about 10 feet. The 4 of us were on yokes and all, total buzz kill after the high of the goal!

In 1990 all the trouble was on O'Connell St after the game, it was carnage up there. We got locked into the Daniel O'Connell by the guards after,suited us fine!

Yeah I was in the same place, we seen the trouble and headed out the exit in the corner away from the pen then everyone started running towards us saying the english in the pen were let out and where running towards our exit to get onto the pitch. Some said they saw weapons swinging. Seen an aul lad jump on the ground and got trambled on. My dad lifted me up in a head lock type move and carried me from there to the exit in the East Stand. Dont think he put me down until we got to the car about a ten min walk from the stadium. 

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 5:15pm
It's mad that not long ago we were playing in so crowded terraces. I remember hearing of the crush in the north terrace. That could have easily been disaster

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It's mad that not long ago we were playing in so crowded terraces. I remember hearing of the crush in the north terrace. That could have easily been disaster

They burst through chanting "England! England!" swinging digs and boots at whoever was nearest them, I didn't actually have a problem with the few Irish fans on the edge giving a bit back, it was pure self defence and was literally only as they burst through. A lot of people showed incredible restraint that night....

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 6:34pm

They burst through chanting "England! England!" swinging digs and boots at whoever was nearest them, I didn't actually have a problem with the few Irish fans on the edge giving a bit back, it was pure self defence and was literally only as they burst through. A lot of people showed incredible restraint that night....

One of the lads that was at it was in the section beside them and he said the cops just stayed at the exits for awhile before subduing them. His father was roaring at them to do something. Obviously they were waiting for orders, getting into position but he said it took them ages to respond. He was 12 at the time he said this to me so bear that in mind. Did ye see anything like that?

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 7:13pm

My Dad was in the middle of the English fans as he bought a ticket for my cousin from the FAI that morning and let my cousin use his.  We were in the safety of the east stand but was sweating afterwards until we found him safe and sound.

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 7:20pm

T'was a bit obvious you expanded this post just to call the England fans "Brits" as many times as you could Embarrassed

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

One of the lads that was at it was in the section beside them and he said the cops just stayed at the exits for awhile before subduing them. His father was roaring at them to do something. Obviously they were waiting for orders, getting into position but he said it took them ages to respond. He was 12 at the time he said this to me so bear that in mind. Did ye see anything like that?

Where in the ground was he? The cops f**ked up big time that night. In 1990 the English fans were housed in the same area of the ground in the west stand but they were surrounded by uniformed Gardai and any time anyone got too rowdy the cops moved in to calm them down. Didn't stop a load of coins and lighters raining down when Cas scored but that was game ball, no one gave a bollix.

Difference was in 95 the peace process had kicked off and there was s feeling that the police presence should have been lower key. Problem was that to do that you needed to house the English fans in s different area of the ground. Instead they put them in the same area they'd contained them in 90 but had plain clothes guards rather than uniformed gardai around them. Coupled with the later kick off it was a recipe for disaster.

They had to wait till the riot squad was brought up there at least half an hour later before steaming in. I know for a fact they were given a free run without id numbers to steam in. Heard some funny stories about what happened with the English lads arrested when they were thrown in the joy after as well....

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 7:50pm
Remember it well, was 9. Oul fella couldn't get me a ticket for it (he won't admit it but I still think he did it purposely as he had a feeling something would kick off that night). Watched it all unfold on tv. Was horrible to watch. Read that kunt Jason Marriners (the Chelsea headhunter) book a few years ago and he talks about it saying how him and his boys spent the day walking around Dublin drinking and looking to start a fight with anyone who crossed their path. And that the minute they entered the stadium they started singing 'no surrender to the IRA'.

I still cant understand to this day how no one was killed that night.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Where in the ground was he? The cops f**ked up big time that night. In 1990 the English fans were housed in the same area of the ground in the west stand but they were surrounded by uniformed Gardai and any time anyone got too rowdy the cops moved in to calm them down. Didn't stop a load of coins and lighters raining down when Cas scored but that was game ball, no one gave a bollix.

Difference was in 95 the peace process had kicked off and there was s feeling that the police presence should have been lower key. Problem was that to do that you needed to house the English fans in s different area of the ground. Instead they put them in the same area they'd contained them in 90 but had plain clothes guards rather than uniformed gardai around them. Coupled with the later kick off it was a recipe for disaster.

They had to wait till the riot squad was brought up there at least half an hour later before steaming in. I know for a fact they were given a free run without id numbers to steam in. Heard some funny stories about what happened with the English lads arrested when they were thrown in the joy after as well....

Weren't the english fans in the upper west stand where the rte studio is now at the Aviva. THey were beside them so they'd ve been sitting where the press are now in the centre of the west stand

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

Remember it well, was 9. Oul fella couldn't get me a ticket for it (he won't admit it but I still think he did it purposely as he had a feeling something would kick off that night). Watched it all unfold on tv. Was horrible to watch. Read that kunt Jason Marriners (the Chelsea headhunter) book a few years ago and he talks about it saying how him and his boys spent the day walking around Dublin drinking and looking to start a fight with anyone who crossed their path. And that the minute they entered the stadium they started singing 'no surrender to the IRA'.

I still cant understand to this day how no one was killed that night.

And they'd sh*t their pants if they ever came face to face with them LOL

-------------

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:16pm
Watched it on telly as a young lad.Remember thinking the cops should have waded in and fcuked them  up.From what i saw and heard (only from one or two mates) the cops more or less backed down.Would love to hear tales to the contrary.

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1992_qualifying_Group_7" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1992_qualifying_Group_7

yea. i thought it was half 1..if i remember correctly mick mc carthy hit the bar from a free kick in our own halfClap

was on the south terrace in 95. we were walking down baggott street at the junction with lansdowne road and i got separated from me da...this irish fella came running up to me with the hand out to grab me and had his hand in the air to punch but then saw i was wearing a green hat. it was raining that day and i was wearng navy waterproof gear. then as cool as you like he says "sorry, i thought you were english"

the national anthem was sung very loud that night. on par with giants stadiumk in 94?..it was a well taken goal.

it was a time before we hade mobile phones so me ma saw everything on the news but didnt know  if we were ok until we got home.

was there any trouble in the 92 euro qualifier?

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:21pm

Those 2 polish games costs dearly especially the 3-3 in Poznan, 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go. 86th minute equaliser. Had we held on for a win we would have won the group, instead England done us by a point. In the final group games we won 3-1 in Turkey and England (that smug bastard) got a late equaliser in Poland. Firmly believe Euro 1992 was our best chance of getting to the later stages of a competition and was there for the winning. As it was the Danes won it only by getting an entry because of the balkan war.

Imagine some 20 years later young irish lads would be doing much better at breaching tight polish defences.........

it was. did aldo have a goal disallowed/peno shout in the home game and we should have closed the game out in poland but that draw in poland meant the they had an outside chance of qualifying going into that last game against england. i think if they won and we lost then they would go throu. it was going well until a lineker equaliser in last 10mins

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

yea. i thought it was half 1..if i remember correctly mick mc carthy hit the bar from a free kick in our own halfClap

was on the south terrace in 95. we were walking down baggott street at the junction with lansdowne road and i got separated from me da...this irish fella came running up to me with the hand out to grab me and had his hand in the air to punch but then saw i was wearing a green hat. it was raining that day and i was wearng navy waterproof gear. then as cool as you like he says "sorry, i thought you were english"

the national anthem was sung very loud that night. on par with giants stadiumk in 94?..it was a well taken goal.

it was a time before we hade mobile phones so me ma saw everything on the news but didnt know  if we were ok until we got home.

was there any trouble in the 92 euro qualifier?

LOL
Did he offer to pay for a new pair of underpants for ya? 

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Watched it on telly as a young lad.Remember thinking the cops should have waded in and fcuked them  up.From what i saw and heard (only from one or two mates) the cops more or less backed down.Would love to hear tales to the contrary.
The Gards far from backed down.I know someone in the Riot Squad that night and believe me he had a great time cracking heads that night all the way to Kingstown.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The Gards far from backed down.I know someone in the Riot Squad that night and believe me he had a great time cracking heads that night all the way to Kingstown.

They totally backed down. Did nothing until all our fans were out of the ground, waited about 30 mins to an hour until they got huge back up and then streamed in on all the Brit fans left in the ground and battered everyone. Most people had no beef with them doing that but there was no bravery whatsoever associated with it, they were hitting fish in a barrel by the time they moved in.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 1:59am

They totally backed down. Did nothing until all our fans were out of the ground, waited about 30 mins to an hour until they got huge back up and then streamed in on all the Brit fans left in the ground and battered everyone. Most people had no beef with them doing that but there was no bravery whatsoever associated with it, they were hitting fish in a barrel by the time they moved in.

And more power to them, they got everyone out of the ground safely and then gave the brits a hiding, what do you think they should have done????

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:30am
from the lad i was talking to, they were pissed off that the cops didn't react quicker.He said they were at the exits in the stand looking at the english fans rioting which again was because they were waiting for the go ahead from their superiors

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 8:46am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

And more power to them, they got everyone out of the ground safely and then gave the brits a hiding, what do you think they should have done????

Should have nipped it in the bud when it started. How often has a game got abandoned because of trouble in the ground? It's very very rare. The policing was a joke that night, they even f**ked up the evacuation of the ground by not supervising it properly leading to situations like the crush on the North terrace where the pen holding the English fans that end was opened in error as mentioned earlier. Pure luck no one was badly hurt or worse in that surge. Putting the England fans in that area of the ground and not policing it properly was ridiculous. Plus it was proven afterwards that they'd completely ignored information and warnings given to them by the UK police in the build up to the game. It was incompetence of the highest order.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 8:53am
So the Police were to blame ?
Did you blame Liverpool fans for Heysel or the Police ?
The Belgian Police ignored similar 'warnings' that you're talking about.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:14am

Obviously the English fans were to blame. That doesn't change the fact that the policing of the situation was a disaster, they're not mutually exclusive.

Hysel was ten years previous, an awful lot had been learned about crowd control in that period. The guards did a great job policing the game in 1990, they didn't in 1995, is there a problem with stating that fact?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:36am

Obviously the English fans were to blame. That doesn't change the fact that the policing of the situation was a disaster, they're not mutually exclusive.

Hysel was ten years previous, an awful lot had been learned about crowd control in that period. The guards did a great job policing the game in 1990, they didn't in 1995, is there a problem with stating that fact?

Not at all, just making sure you knew that and were not just Garda-bashing.

Alot of people nowadays comment in Heysel/Hillsborough who werent even born when these events happened let alone know what is was like attending a match in the 70s and 80s compared to now.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:41am
BTW I was working in London in 95 as an agent/ consultant to the FA.
Was in Lancaster Gate loads of times.

The FA and English football police (NCIS ?) were told by the Gards "ah sure it'll be grand" whfn told about Combat 18 were travelling.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:50am

Alot of people nowadays comment in Heysel/Hillsborough who werent even born when these events happened let alone know what is was like attending a match in the 70s and 80s compared to now.

No worries mate. My Da took me to my first game in 1979 and I was going into the schoolboy pen on the south terrace with mates or even on my own on occasion from the mid 80's, I remember well what it was like going to football back then. The policing was always fairly disorganised to be fair, mainly because the fans were well behaved in general. We were lucky that the lack of organisation didn't lead to a disaster on a couple of occasions, the Italy game in Dalymount in 85 springs to mind as well.

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/ireland-v-italy-1985-game_topic10908.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/ireland-v-italy-1985-game_topic10908.html

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 10:16am
40k at Dalyer that night.
World Champions.
Fiver at the gate.
Luvvely jubbely.

PS McGrath made his debut.

Posted By: Humpy Gussy
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 11:29am
Great video here from RTÉ News. Footage of the English fans at Dun Laoghaire, interviews with fans and FAI etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOhQp8ENmzs" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOhQp8ENmzs

-------------
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 11:47am

No worries mate. My Da took me to my first game in 1979 and I was going into the schoolboy pen on the south terrace with mates or even on my own on occasion from the mid 80's, I remember well what it was like going to football back then. The policing was always fairly disorganised to be fair, mainly because the fans were well behaved in general. We were lucky that the lack of organisation didn't lead to a disaster on a couple of occasions, the Italy game in Dalymount in 85 springs to mind as well.

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/ireland-v-italy-1985-game_topic10908.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/ireland-v-italy-1985-game_topic10908.html

Funny you mention Dalymount there
I remember the auld boy was telling me of a match against Italy I think at Dalymount in the early 70s where there was a crush in the ground.He said he remembers being thrown forward and his brother in law grabbing him to stop him falling. Wasn't anything made about it in the media at the time but said it was the scariest thing he went through

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 3:32pm

Should have nipped it in the bud when it started. How often has a game got abandoned because of trouble in the ground? It's very very rare. The policing was a joke that night, they even f**ked up the evacuation of the ground by not supervising it properly leading to situations like the crush on the North terrace where the pen holding the English fans that end was opened in error as mentioned earlier. Pure luck no one was badly hurt or worse in that surge. Putting the England fans in that area of the ground and not policing it properly was ridiculous. Plus it was proven afterwards that they'd completely ignored information and warnings given to them by the UK police in the build up to the game. It was incompetence of the highest order.

Sorry but IMO the gardai dealt with the situation very well, they safely evacuated the ground before giving the sum a hiding.

Yes they could have been better prepared but the bottom line is English thugs caused the game to be abandoned noone else.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 3:35pm

40k at Dalyer that night.
World Champions.
Fiver at the gate.
Luvvely jubbely.

PS McGrath made his debut.

Free in for some LOLLOLLOL

Very scary before the game, i and others ended up scaling a wall into a garden and then from the garden into the ground saving myself a fiver ..... miracle noone got killed, and if there was the same type of fencing as in hillsborough there would have been fatalities

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 4:16pm

Sorry but IMO the gardai dealt with the situation very well, they safely evacuated the ground before giving the sum a hiding.

Yes they could have been better prepared but the bottom line is English thugs caused the game to be abandoned noone else.

Safely evacuated the place apart from the incident on the North Terrace?  No offence but you couldn't be more wrong, were you there on the night?  It was chaos and very badly handled, the report into it afterwards backs that up.

Are you a guard yourself by any chance? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 4:19pm

BTW I was working in London in 95 as an agent/ consultant to the FA.
Was in Lancaster Gate loads of times.

i'd say that was interesting in the lead up to the hosting of euro 96-seeing work go on in the background. was it?

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Il Trap Il Trap wrote:

Great video here from RTÉ News. Footage of the English fans at Dun Laoghaire, interviews with fans and FAI etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOhQp8ENmzs" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOhQp8ENmzs

just wastched some of that clip.
what happened about getting them out of the country? did the gards get onto stena line and say get yer boats into dun laoghaire now and just fcuked the england fans out? was there a number of sailings that night?

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 6:47pm

Safely evacuated the place apart from the incident on the North Terrace?  No offence but you couldn't be more wrong, were you there on the night?  It was chaos and very badly handled, the report into it afterwards backs that up.

Definitley not a guard

Yes we were there, east stand down by the havelock square end.

To be honest never bothered reading any reports, and didnt notice any problem on the north terrace, probably as we were looking at the trouble in the west stand. From memory we left the stadium about 10/20 mins after the game was abandoned leaving from behind the east stand and out the gate nearest the dodder, then went through Marian college and up the lane to ballsbridge and back into Paddy Cullens where we stayed till closing.

Watched the scenes unfold in the pub as we celebrated another 1 0 victory over England Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 10:19pm

Definitley not a guard

To be honest never bothered reading any reports, and didnt notice any problem on the north terrace, probably as we were looking at the trouble in the west stand. From memory we left the stadium about 10/20 mins after the game was abandoned leaving from behind the east stand and out the gate nearest the dodder, then went through Marian college and up the lane to ballsbridge and back into Paddy Cullens where we stayed till closing.

Watched the scenes unfold in the pub as we celebrated another 1 0 victory over England Wink

Fair enough. I meant the official report rather than the news reports though. We were on the North terrace that night, it was a disaster police wise.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:27am
GF does look a bit like a Guard though

Wink

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Wink

as most guards are tall, fit and slim I'll take that as a fair comparison Wink 

-------------

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:41pm

Wink

Brendan Gleeson would be more apt imoWink

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Wink

Brendan Gleeson would be more apt imoWink

U need to go to specsavers LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Il Trap Il Trap wrote:

I'd forgotten about Jack out on the pitch with the cops, grabbing people, telling them to go home etc. wouldn't be surprised if he threw a few digs too.

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 4:14pm

Definitley not a guard

Fair enough. I meant the official report rather than the news reports though. We were on the North terrace that night, it was a disaster police wise.

We were on the North terrace that night. Bad English crowd in that pen area. Firing coins etc.. during the game.

There were still plenty of Ireland fans on the North terrace when the Guards took the England fans from that pen area & out of the ground. Nowhere near enough guards to shepherd them out & guys trying to leave with their kids, had to run back up the steps onto the terrace as the hooligans were taken out, swinging punches & trying to attack people.

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 4:21pm
was there aswell only 13. 

atmosphere off from the very beginning. id say 90% of the English at it were hooligans.

At least the Gards eventually stepped up and cracked a few heads although they were warned before to expect trouble and did not head it. Apparently there was a bigger hooligan mob the previous England home game but this time we were well prepared. SOme of you older lads might be able to confirm

the English hooligans would have got a shoeing if they were kept in Dublin that night. 

Posted By: Declanus
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 4:31pm
After we left the stadium that night we headed back into town. Gardai everywhere. We met 4 English blokes in their early 20's who weren't in with the crowd of rioters in the west stand. Poor blokes were terrified so we walked them back to their hotel.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 4:33pm
The game in 1990 passed off reasonably well from a trouble perspective, Guards were well resourced and more or less on top following a few incidents around town the night before the game. The early kick-off helped too. The bit of shaping and hand bags on O'Connell Bridge after the mach was the worst it got.

In 1995 the Guards may have been a bit complacent following a perceived good job in 1990. There was a lot of incidents that went on in the North between 1990 and 1995 which encouraged the C18/NF among the english to make a point in Dublin that evening. It was preplanned and started by a few who knew  the herd would join in.

-------------

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 6:53pm
I was in West Upper, in the English section thanks to the FAI distributing unsold English tickets to Irish fans.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:03pm

The game in 1990 passed off reasonably well from a trouble perspective, Guards were well resourced and more or less on top following a few incidents around town the night before the game. The early kick-off helped too. The bit of shaping and hand bags on O'Connell Bridge after the mach was the worst it got.

In 1995 the Guards may have been a bit complacent following a perceived good job in 1990. There was a lot of incidents that went on in the North between 1990 and 1995 which encouraged the C18/NF among the english to make a point in Dublin that evening. It was preplanned and started by a few who knew  the herd would join in.

That's fairly close to the mark.  I was on the South Terrace in 1990 and the police had a ring of uniformed guards around their support up in the top deck of the West Stand.  Anytime anyone got lairy the guards were all over them.  Didn't get any worse than a lot of lighters and coins being thrown down when we started giving it 'You'll never beat the Irish!' after Cas equalised.

There was definite complacency but as regards the incidents up North it was the fact that the IRA had called a ceasefire the previous August and there was an idea that in the spirit of that and to normalise relations to a degree that the police presence would be low key.  There were plenty of plain clothes guards on duty but that wasn't worth anything, it was a very misguided call.  You're dead right about the herd mentality as well. Some interesting points here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/irish-police-did-not-accept-help-1614349.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/irish-police-did-not-accept-help-1614349.html

"The judge went on to say that the assistance of a police intelligence co-ordinator from England, and of a number of English policemen who were acquainted with the appearance of likely troublemakers, would have helped to reduce the extent and level of the violence.

The judge discovered that such an offer had been made by the head of the national criminal intelligence service in Britain but had been declined by the Gardai. He said that the Gardai had received information in the run-up to the game about a flight containing 20 supporters wearing badges which were the insignia of Combat 18, a militant group of right-wing extremists with a reputation for initiating disorder in England.

"With hindsight, certain measures could have been taken by all concerned to contain the violence," the judge said."

A number of people that got arrested were brought down the Joy and thrown in with a very angry prison population who'd had their evening out of the cells to watch the match cut short when the game got abandoned.  I remember one lad who had a very decent job pleading with the judge the next day not to be sent back to the Joy and being sent down for another couple of days, pretty sure he was in tears being led away.....

-------------

Posted By: finbarrk
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 11:53am
North terrace for me that night. I left when the coins were whizzing overhead. Got to Gleesons I think it's called on Leeson St. Ended up in that place that was going well in Temple Bar around then. Can't think of the name of it now.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 11:57am

That's fairly close to the mark.  I was on the South Terrace in 1990 and the police had a ring of uniformed guards around their support up in the top deck of the West Stand.  Anytime anyone got lairy the guards were all over them.  Didn't get any worse than a lot of lighters and coins being thrown down when we started giving it 'You'll never beat the Irish!' after Cas equalised.

There was definite complacency but as regards the incidents up North it was the fact that the IRA had called a ceasefire the previous August and there was an idea that in the spirit of that and to normalise relations to a degree that the police presence would be low key.  There were plenty of plain clothes guards on duty but that wasn't worth anything, it was a very misguided call.  You're dead right about the herd mentality as well. Some interesting points here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/irish-police-did-not-accept-help-1614349.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/irish-police-did-not-accept-help-1614349.html

"The judge went on to say that the assistance of a police intelligence co-ordinator from England, and of a number of English policemen who were acquainted with the appearance of likely troublemakers, would have helped to reduce the extent and level of the violence.<p style="outline: medium none; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; : rgb255, 255, 255;">The judge discovered that such an offer had been made by the head of the national criminal intelligence service in Britain but had been declined by the Gardai. He said that the Gardai had received information in the run-up to the game about a flight containing 20 supporters wearing badges which were the insignia of Combat 18, a militant group of right-wing extremists with a reputation for initiating disorder in England.

<p style="outline: medium none; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; : rgb255, 255, 255;">"With hindsight, certain measures could have been taken by all concerned to contain the violence," the judge said."

A number of people that got arrested were brought down the Joy and thrown in with a very angry prison population who'd had their evening out of the cells to watch the match cut short when the game got abandoned.  I remember one lad who had a very decent job pleading with the judge the next day not to be sent back to the Joy and being sent down for another couple of days, pretty sure he was in tears being led away.....

I hope the prisoners kicked the sh*te in him

-------------

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 12:29am
Lived on Dorset street for a year about 10 years ago. I knew a few of the local lads to say hello to. Interesting characters. One lad, a real howaya, off his face most days told a great story of about 10 of his mates getting weapons out of the flats and legging it down O Connell st in the direction of Lansdowne . Not one of them made it over O Connell bridge. I assumed that they had been stopped by the gards. Ah no he said, none of us could run. We were f**ked from too much bad stuff in them days. 

However he did promise to be ready if they ever came over and played it in Croke Park

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 2:15pm
Just did the interview with Stephen from the BBC there. Will let you know when it's on the BBC website. Thumbs Up

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 2:27pm

Just did the interview with Stephen from the BBC there. Will let you know when it's on the BBC website. Thumbs Up

Clap

I hope you gave ybig a plug  Thumbs Up

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 3:10pm
Sure did

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Lived on Dorset street for a year about 10 years ago. I knew a few of the local lads to say hello to. Interesting characters. One lad, a real howaya, off his face most days told a great story of about 10 of his mates getting weapons out of the flats and legging it down O Connell st in the direction of Lansdowne . Not one of them made it over O Connell bridge. I assumed that they had been stopped by the gards. Ah no he said, none of us could run. We were f**ked from too much bad stuff in them days. 

However he did promise to be ready if they ever came over and played it in Croke Park

LOL

I was in UCD, watched the match on the big screen in the bar, when the trouble started some clown tried to organise a posse to head down to Landsdowne to give the cops a hand.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:17pm
This was my first senior international I attended, was doing a two week course in Cert in Amien street at the time, remember being in some pub in O'Connell street after the game ( could have been mc graths up stairs anyway ???) 4 roit cops came in and bate 4 English fans out the door. went up to the north star after that for a few peaceful pints.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Cookie Monster
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 1:44am
Yes, was there and was actually a steward that night. Was one of the first to notice the big yob in the centre of the West Upper England section starting to orchestrate the whole thing.
Frightening night and have no desire to ever be at another England game as a result. 

-------------
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster wrote:

Yes, was there and was actually a steward that night. Was one of the first to notice the big yob in the centre of the West Upper England section starting to orchestrate the whole thing.
Frightening night and have no desire to ever be at another England game as a result. 
Did the cops let you have a go with their batons?

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:44pm
33:40 mins in.

Date Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:28pm
What a lying bastard your man on that video is. He's saying that for 20 minutes Irish fans were throwing cans of urine at the English fans. Trying to justify what they did. Pure fookin scum.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:18am
when is this article going up on the BBC ?

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:08am
Your man e-mailed me on Tuesday to say the article will be on the website next week. I'm also doing a TV interview for BBC news with Dan Roan about the 1995 match in Lansdowne Road tomorrow.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net