Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43880
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World War 3 USSR v USA/Ukraine
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: World War 3 USSR v USA/Ukraine
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:58pm
Will Sham Productions be covering this in a pay per view extravaganza?  

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:59pm
WW3 me bollixs

Posted By: Dear Leader Junior
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:02am
Yu vil agh dy. 

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 1:18am
All this messing around is annoying, they should just get on with it.

sh*t or get off the pot Kim (if you're reading this).

Posted By: Kim Wilde Boy
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Dear Leader Junior Dear Leader Junior wrote:

Yu vil agh dy. 

Fack you you imposter. Ay bet its Arec Badwin or Crint Eastwood.

I am Kim but I also rike to boogie down 80's styre.

''We're re kids in America''

Posted By: NewrycityonTour
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:10am
Wouldn't be a world war. The Russians and Chinese want nothing to do with it and those North Koreans would get a. hammering by the Americans. If this keeps going the way of conflict we will see a united Korea.

-------------
Oh angry nordies, we used to be British but were O'Irish now.

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:04am
Are the left wing wierdos protesting outside the US Embassy yet? Its one thing getting rid of Saddam or The Taliban but an attack on their beloved communism Shocked

Posted By: c90
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Are the left wing wierdos protesting outside the US Embassy yet? Its one thing getting rid of Saddam or The Taliban but an attack on their beloved communism Shocked
Not democratic so not communism.
why wouldnt the left wing weirdos want to get rid of an authoritarian government that has half the country starving ? Confused

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:33am
In all fairness no Communist regime is democratic, unfortunately.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

In all fairness no 'Communist' regime has been democratic
there has never been a proper communist state introduced. 

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by c90 c90 wrote:

why wouldnt the left wing weirdos want to get rid of an authoritarian government that has half the country starving ? Confused

They didnt want to get rid of the Taliban 

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:42am

Don't think there ever will be either. Utopian idea, just like a pure capitalist state.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:00am

yes they did Confused 
in the same way the wanted Mubarak out. and the current set up there now or at least its constitution

-------------

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:14am

Who is "they"?

Most left wing weirdos supported the invasion of Afghanistan and getting rid of the Taliban.

The vast majority of left wing weirdos supported getting rid of Saddam, they supported it back in the 80's when the very same right wing weirdos who put the plan together to overthrown him were busy propping him up, they supported it when he invaded Kuwait and msny of the same right wing weirdos decded to leave him in power.

The people who protested against the war were protesting because it was illegal and because the US and UK governments were lying about why they were invading, and because they didn't wanted the job in Afghanistan finshed first, they weren't protesting because they supported Saddam (there are of course exceptions, George Galloway being one).

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Who is "they"?

People that stand outside embassy's protesting. The Richard Boyd-Barretts of the world Thumbs Up 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:41am

Who is "they"?

People that stand outside embassy's protesting. The Richard Boyd-Barretts of the world Thumbs Up 

Clap 

I'm still awaiting to see his protests outside the Russian embassy in relation to Syria wouldn't be holding my breath though given the likes of him only seem to protest if there's US involvment.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Who is "they"?

Clap 

I'm still awaiting to see his protests outside the Russian embassy in relation to Syria wouldn't be holding my breath though given the likes of him only seem to protest if there's US involvment.

Exactly. I fcukin hate those kind of people. The sisters ex boyfriend would always be giving off about the US and have all these left wing books on how the US are pricks but nothing about Russia and China who are equally as bad as them.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:52am
The Chinese and Russians believe in a policy that whatever happens inside one state has nothing to do with another. They believe that as long as the North Koreas don't attack first, they are doing nothing wrong.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:56am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

The Chinese and Russians believe in a policy that whatever happens inside one state has nothing to do with another. They believe that as long as the North Koreas don't attack first, they are doing nothing wrong.

Ukraine

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:07pm

Ukraine

+1

Have you ever heard of the terms "Iron Curtain" and "puppet governments". Pity the Russians didnt have that policy when they were communist. Under Putin they're as bad as they ever were, they're just a bit more sly about it these days

-------------

Posted By: Dukla
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:26pm
A guy I know is in a Tibet Solidarity group & they have organised dozens of protests outside the Chinese Embassy. Remember hearing about one or two protests being held outside the Russian Embassy during the war with Georgia in 2008 & the Pussy Riot case last year. There's probably been more stuff I didn't hear about.

Even if you forget about all of that it's kind of hypocritical to go around saying 'Lefties will only criticise what the USA do they don't care about Russia or China' when all the Conservaties do is criticise Russia, China, etc & turn a blind eye to atrocities committed by the USA.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 2:45pm

Don't think there ever will be either. Utopian idea, just like a pure capitalist state.

Well, current Somalia is doing a good job at a pure capitalist state (that is, no taxation and no government). It's a libertarian wet dream.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Will Sham Productions be covering this in a pay per view extravaganza?  

Freeview for existing customers. We can boast an expert team based in North Korea with close links to the military.

On a side note, for those worried about a nuclear fall out from this inevitable war, then visit www.shamshelters.ie where you can our extensive range of nuclear bomb shelters, starting from as little as €3,999.

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 4:34pm
Last time this contest ended in a draw. Stopped the dreaded domino effect. North Korea just throwing shapes now.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 4:43pm

Who is "they"?

You're a mong.

LOL

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Well, current Somalia is doing a good job at a pure capitalist state (that is, no taxation and no government). It's a libertarian wet dream.

Don't know enough about the country to comment but just looking over GDP per cap there doesn't seem to be to much of a trickle down effect.

Posted By: Tippbiffo
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 4:53pm
I hope this dosent kick off....i want to go to rio next year

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:11pm

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:20pm
The USA will kick their ass if they start anyway Cool

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:44pm

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

LOL Brilliant! Where did you find that?

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:27pm

That's quality

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:06pm
Thing is, it's not far off the truth.

Most analysts are saying that any bomb that they have so far has only half the yield of the Hiroshima bomb and it'd take 4 years minimum to be able to put it on top of a rocket that'd have any ICB capabilities or accuracy.

They're just dick-swinging although they could f**k Seoul up rightly.Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ukraine

+1

Have you ever heard of the terms "Iron Curtain" and "puppet governments". Pity the Russians didnt have that policy when they were communist. Under Putin they're as bad as they ever were, they're just a bit more sly about it these days

Russia and the USSR are not the same country. Russia and China do not want regime change under any circumstances.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:24pm

Most analysts are saying that any bomb that they have so far has only half the yield of the Hiroshima bomb and it'd take 4 years minimum to be able to put it on top of a rocket that'd have any ICB capabilities or accuracy.

How do you reckon they could get at Seoul?
Highly advanced missile interception systems in place.More on the way in the shape of US navy.
About 100,000 US troops in immediate area and one Major aircraft carrier there permanently ( probably more with the heightened tensions) and can have more again in no time.
No chance of a ground assault as the DMZ is 4 km wide and full of landmines,plus they'd be crushed at the border anyway.A marine landing? google the capabilities of their landing craft they photo shopped (so bad it's funny)

Everyone of my mates in Korea on fb today laughing at the sensationalist coverage this is getting in the west (except one or two clowns who want to make it look like they are living in a warzone)

I said this before on this thread but it's like this,
Every year the US and Korean forces do joint military drills at this time.Every year the North threatens all sorts of sh*te.This year it gets a bit more attention as its the young lads first year in charge and he's flexing his muscles.End of.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:56pm
All you need to know,short and well informed.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3727471.htm

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:05pm

Brilliant!! 

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Every year the US and Korean forces do joint military drills at this time.Every year the North threatens all sorts of sh*te.This year it gets a bit more attention as its the young lads first year in charge and he's flexing his muscles.End of.

Says Kimbap from the safety of his nuclear bomb shelter.......

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:38pm
Dont know if i said it on here or twitter but Kim Jong-Un is pissed in that gif. There is a distinct possibility that after his aul lads death and not having a real mother he has hit the booze straight after. He is 28/29, there is no way somebody of that age can lead a country without it effecting him. I think he has gone all King Joffrey on it.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:06am

How do you reckon they could get at Seoul?
Highly advanced missile interception systems in place.More on the way in the shape of US navy.
About 100,000 US troops in immediate area and one Major aircraft carrier there permanently ( probably more with the heightened tensions) and can have more again in no time.
No chance of a ground assault as the DMZ is 4 km wide and full of landmines,plus they'd be crushed at the border anyway.A marine landing? google the capabilities of their landing craft they photo shopped (so bad it's funny)

Everyone of my mates in Korea on fb today laughing at the sensationalist coverage this is getting in the west (except one or two clowns who want to make it look like they are living in a warzone)

Just that no missile defense system is impenetrable, at least not SK's own PATRIOT system. The yank ones there now are top notch apparently though.

I agree completely. Just the young'fla doin a bit of rattling.

-------------

Posted By: jinky
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 12:10pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY
time lapse of every nuclear explosion since 1945

-------------
tir gan teanga ,tir gan anam

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 6:05pm

Ukraine

+1

Russia and the USSR are not the same country. Russia and China do not want regime change under any circumstances.

As another poster said. Ukraine? Putin is a bad bastard. Awhile ago the founder of a newspaper that criticized the government was blasted to death outside his office in Moscow. Whether it's the U.S., Russia or China they're equally as bad as each other imo

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 6:06pm
They have a sphere of influence but they don't enter countries like the yanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 6:11pm

would agree with ya there. They're more hidden about it. Tbh corkery any superpower like those 3 will always have interests all over the world. George Galloway hits the nail on the head about this kind of stuff

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 6:17pm
The fact is it would be impossible to stop an artillery bombardment on Seoul. The north could fire literally thousands of bombs at Seoul without any great difficulty and there is no way they could be stopped. It would be completely scattergun but it would cause a LOT of damage. They could even lob an aul nuke if they wanted to.

-------------

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:09pm

Only disputed territory's and to "assist" one side Tongue but your point stands that they would rather watch from a position of influence and protect their own interests rather than direct involvement

-------------

Posted By: Polcia
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:01pm

The fact is it would be impossible to stop an artillery bombardment on Seoul. The north could fire literally thousands of bombs at Seoul without any great difficulty and there is no way they could be stopped. It would be completely scattergun but it would cause a LOT of damage. They could even lob an aul nuke if they wanted to.

Where are you getting this from?
One move like that from the North and there would be pinpoint airstrikes in seconds from the S Koreans (who have seriously advanced air power) as well as the US who have the best.They have two major air bases in Korea (Osan and Kunsan) Also have three  Air Forces Bases in Japan in Misawa,Yokota and a massive one in Kadena.Not to mention the carriers in the area.And that just the reaction from the air which really would be a matter on less than 5 mins.
         The North are well aware of all this and know that any thing from them would be the end of their country.They are not stupid.The same generals are around that were around when Kim Jung Ill was running the show.The younger Kim is showing to his people that he is tough and not a fat baby faced 30 year old.There is always high tensions at this time of year on the Korean peninsula.It doesn't always get this kind of coverage,they've ramped it up a bit this year and the media has gone berserk.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:12pm

Ukraine

+1

As another poster said. Ukraine? Putin is a bad bastard. Awhile ago the founder of a newspaper that criticized the government was blasted to death outside his office in Moscow. Whether it's the U.S., Russia or China they're equally as bad as each other imo

In what way?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:16pm

One move like that from the North and there would be pinpoint airstrikes in seconds from the S Koreans (who have seriously advanced air power) as well as the US who have the best.They have two major air bases in Korea (Osan and Kunsan) Also have three  Air Forces Bases in Japan in Misawa,Yokota and a massive one in Kadena.Not to mention the carriers in the area.And that just the reaction from the air which really would be a matter on less than 5 mins.
         The North are well aware of all this and know that any thing from them would be the end of their country.They are not stupid.The same generals are around that were around when Kim Jung Ill was running the show.The younger Kim is showing to his people that he is tough and not a fat baby faced 30 year old.There is always high tensions at this time of year on the Korean peninsula.It doesn't always get this kind of coverage,they've ramped it up a bit this year and the media has gone berserk.

I'm not disagreeing with the consequences. North Korea would be mental to try anything as it would result in immediate massive death but they could bomb the sh*t out of Seoul if they wanted to.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:36pm

I'm not disagreeing with the consequences. North Korea would be mental to try anything as it would result in immediate massive death but they could bomb the sh*t out of Seoul if they wanted to.

SuperDave,

I respect your opinion on here,you're defo one of the better posters and seem to know what you're talking about.But you're simply wrong here.Do you think the citizens of Seoul (backed by the might of the US military) go about their business everyday since 1953 knowing that they could be wiped out on the whim of a mad man (or a group of his generals) at any time?
           I'm basing this on facts.Living as a teacher in Seoul you get some idea what going on.For example i taught a S Korea fighter pilot (about late 30's so coming to the end of his fighter pilot days,ie not full of bravado) who,once i got to know him told me all sorts.Very interesting stuff.
            However I learnt and heard a lot more having worked in both Japan and Korea (as well as bases in Guam and Hawaii which i have also heard mention of as potential targets) over another fives years.The military are anal in general.If you think regulations and health and safety is bad here you should deal with them for a while.My point is they over react rather than under react,over estimate rather than underestimate and they don't take the North Korean's as the massive threat we here are lead to believe.
            I've been speaking with mates (Korean and Irish) the last few days and they are bemused and bewildered by the attention this is getting.The rhetoric and sabre rattling are an annual thing.The only difference is a few missiles have been moved to the East coast of North Korea.They may even have done this in the previous years but it may not have been reported.
            If the Kim or his general fire one shot on Seoul it would be the same a pulling the trigger on themselves.They know this,I presume they don't want mass suicide.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:56pm

Ukraine

+1

In what way?

Ive already explained this in a post to corkery but for your benefit ill post it again. All those superpowers are as bad as each other because they all have interests over the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:59pm

SuperDave,

I respect your opinion on here,you're defo one of the better posters and seem to know what you're talking about.But you're simply wrong here.Do you think the citizens of Seoul (backed by the might of the US military) go about their business everyday since 1953 knowing that they could be wiped out on the whim of a mad man (or a group of his generals) at any time?
           I'm basing this on facts.Living as a teacher in Seoul you get some idea what going on.For example i taught a S Korea fighter pilot (about late 30's so coming to the end of his fighter pilot days,ie not full of bravado) who,once i got to know him told me all sorts.Very interesting stuff.
            However I learnt and heard a lot more having worked in both Japan and Korea (as well as bases in Guam and Hawaii which i have also heard mention of as potential targets) over another fives years.The military are anal in general.If you think regulations and health and safety is bad here you should deal with them for a while.My point is they over react rather than under react,over estimate rather than underestimate and they don't take the North Korean's as the massive threat we here are lead to believe.
            I've been speaking with mates (Korean and Irish) the last few days and they are bemused and bewildered by the attention this is getting.The rhetoric and sabre rattling are an annual thing.The only difference is a few missiles have been moved to the East coast of North Korea.They may even have done this in the previous years but it may not have been reported.
            If the Kim or his general fire one shot on Seoul it would be the same a pulling the trigger on themselves.They know this,I presume they don't want mass suicide.

Okay, it wouldn't flatten the city but they could clearly cause a lot of damage if they wanted to.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/north-korea-and-flattening-seoul" rel="nofollow - http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/north-korea-and-flattening-seoul

I appreciate that was about three years ago but the central premise holds true. It wouldn't be a high precision bombing (like I mentioned before, it would be scattergun) but if North Korea wanted to, they could cause serious damage in Seoul. The nuke point might be wrong (well, it would likely be intercepted by missile defence systems but would probably still explode) but they could definitely launch a bombing strike on Seoul which would cause mass damage and casualties.

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:05pm

Ukraine

+1

In what way?

Ive already explained this in a post to corkery but for your benefit ill post it again. All those superpowers are as bad as each other because they all have interests over the world.

What are they interested in?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Ukraine

+1

In what way?

ffs are for you real?!
There's alot of factors but one of the obvious ones is raw materials. That'd be a common interest superpowers would share.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:11pm
Also, see here:

http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Digital-Library/Articles/Detail/?id=158779" rel="nofollow - http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Digital-Library/Articles/Detail/?id=158779

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Peoples_Army#Capabilities" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Army#Capabilities

http://www.iiss.org/publications/strategic-dossiers/north-korean-dossier/north-koreas-weapons-programmes-a-net-asses/the-conventional-military-balance-on-the-kore/" rel="nofollow - http://www.iiss.org/publications/strategic-dossiers/north-korean-dossier/north-koreas-weapons-programmes-a-net-asses/the-conventional-military-balance-on-the-kore/

Quote Nonetheless, despite shortages of spare parts, fuel and training time, North Korea’s conventional capabilities pose a significant threat to allied forces and South Korea’s population. For example, North Korea’s artillery capability does not require sophisticated tactics nor modes of operation to pose a threat to Seoul. In any conflict, North Korean artillery, firing from fortified positions near the DMZ, could initially deliver a heavy bombardment on the South Korean capital. Allied counter-battery fire and air strikes would eventually reduce North Korea’s artillery capability, but not before significant damage and high casualties had been inflicted on Seoul. Similarly, the North Korean air force could launch surprise attacks against military and civilian targets throughout South Korea before allied air superiority was established. The potential delivery of chemical or biological weapons by artillery, short-range missiles and aerial bombs is an additional threat – especially to unprotected civilians.

That said, the last paragraph of the third article basically sums up the situation:

Conclusion
The combination of North Korea’s long economic decline and enhanced US and South Korean military capabilities has diminshed the threat of a North Korean invasion of South Korea. Nonetheless, North Korea retains the ability to inflict heavy casualties and collateral damage, largely through the use of massed artillery. In effect, Pyongyang has more of a threat to devastate Seoul than to seize and hold it. North Korea’s conventional threat is also sufficient to make an allied pre-emptive invasion to overthrow the North Korean regime a highly unattractive option. In theory, US forces could carry out pre-emptive attacks to destroy known North Korean nuclear facilities and missile emplacements, but such attacks could provoke North Korean retaliation and trigger a general conflict.

North Korea cannot invade the South without inviting a fatal counter-attack from the US and South Korea, while Washington and Seoul cannot overthrow the North Korean regime by force or destroy its strategic military assets without risking devastating losses in the process. In this respect, the balance of forces that emerged from the Korean War, and which helped in maintaining the armistice for 50 years, remains in place. None of the principal parties want to fight a war although they are prepared to fight if necessary. In this respect, the balance of forces creates certain vulnerabilities since it places a high premium on carrying out a pre-emptive strike if one side or the other believes that an attack is imminent. The danger is that war will begin out of miscalculation, misperception and escalation, rather than design. As a consequence, reduction of political tensions and conventional confidence-building measures can help to reduce the risk of war.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:17pm

Ukraine

+1

In what way?

ffs are for you real?!
There's alot of factors but one of the obvious ones is raw materials. That'd be a common interest superpowers would share.

Mad for the coal are they?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:24pm

Also, see here:

http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Digital-Library/Articles/Detail/?id=158779" rel="nofollow - http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Digital-Library/Articles/Detail/?id=158779

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Peoples_Army#Capabilities" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Army#Capabilities

http://www.iiss.org/publications/strategic-dossiers/north-korean-dossier/north-koreas-weapons-programmes-a-net-asses/the-conventional-military-balance-on-the-kore/" rel="nofollow - http://www.iiss.org/publications/strategic-dossiers/north-korean-dossier/north-koreas-weapons-programmes-a-net-asses/the-conventional-military-balance-on-the-kore/

Quote Nonetheless, despite shortages of spare parts, fuel and training time, North Korea’s conventional capabilities pose a significant threat to allied forces and South Korea’s population. For example, North Korea’s artillery capability does not require sophisticated tactics nor modes of operation to pose a threat to Seoul. In any conflict, North Korean artillery, firing from fortified positions near the DMZ, could initially deliver a heavy bombardment on the South Korean capital. Allied counter-battery fire and air strikes would eventually reduce North Korea’s artillery capability, but not before significant damage and high casualties had been inflicted on Seoul. Similarly, the North Korean air force could launch surprise attacks against military and civilian targets throughout South Korea before allied air superiority was established. The potential delivery of chemical or biological weapons by artillery, short-range missiles and aerial bombs is an additional threat – especially to unprotected civilians.

That said, the last paragraph of the third article basically sums up the situation:

Conclusion
The combination of North Korea’s long economic decline and enhanced US and South Korean military capabilities has diminshed the threat of a North Korean invasion of South Korea. Nonetheless, North Korea retains the ability to inflict heavy casualties and collateral damage, largely through the use of massed artillery. In effect, Pyongyang has more of a threat to devastate Seoul than to seize and hold it. North Korea’s conventional threat is also sufficient to make an allied pre-emptive invasion to overthrow the North Korean regime a highly unattractive option. In theory, US forces could carry out pre-emptive attacks to destroy known North Korean nuclear facilities and missile emplacements, but such attacks could provoke North Korean retaliation and trigger a general conflict.

North Korea cannot invade the South without inviting a fatal counter-attack from the US and South Korea, while Washington and Seoul cannot overthrow the North Korean regime by force or destroy its strategic military assets without risking devastating losses in the process. In this respect, the balance of forces that emerged from the Korean War, and which helped in maintaining the armistice for 50 years, remains in place. None of the principal parties want to fight a war although they are prepared to fight if necessary. In this respect, the balance of forces creates certain vulnerabilities since it places a high premium on carrying out a pre-emptive strike if one side or the other believes that an attack is imminent. The danger is that war will begin out of miscalculation, misperception and escalation, rather than design. As a consequence, reduction of political tensions and conventional confidence-building measures can help to reduce the risk of war.

Heading out the door for scoops so can really get into it but whilst most of that is correct imo i'd disagree with parts of it.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:27pm
@ drogaddict

If that's the kind of sarcastic rubbish you want to come with, then we'll leave it at that. Funny thing is about your "mad for the coal comment" do yourself a favour and look up the coal mines in south america they're (China) are buying up.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:48pm

@ drogaddict

If that's the kind of sarcastic rubbish you want to come with, then we'll leave it at that. Funny thing is about your "mad for the coal comment" do yourself a favour and look up the coal mines in south america they're (China) are buying up.

You in bad form today chief?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:18am

@ drogaddict

You in bad form today chief?

I was a bit loaded yesterday. drinking all day in Galway. I'll be in better form this day 2 weeks smashing in backdoors in Warsaw

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 11:15am

Ukraine

+1

In what way?

ffs are for you real?!

You're actually making less sense there than usual chief.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 11:35am
@heighwaytoheaven

I think you've misunderstood what im saying. Russia, China and the U.S. have massive influence all over the world. I thought that was common knowledge.Interfering with developing country's political process i.e. installing puppet governments, exploiting them for their raw materials such as oil and benefiting from cheap labour It's what superpowers do

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 2:30pm

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 4:33pm

only a day late kimbag ( its on the previous page)
surprised there wasnt a load of old newspapers posted

-------------

Posted By: Jason Kelly
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by NewrycityonTour NewrycityonTour wrote:

Wouldn't be a world war. The Russians and Chinese want nothing to do with it and those North Koreans would get a. hammering by the Americans. If this keeps going the way of conflict we will see a united Korea.

The last time the Yanks went to war with Communists it was the Yanks that took a hiding. And that was effectively a guerilla army they were fighting too.  I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Koreas ability to defend itself. 

America is big enough to have somewhere to hold military drills, why do they need to go to the Korean peninsula to do it Confused

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

The last time the Yanks went to war with Communists it was the Yanks that took a hiding. And that was effectively a guerilla army they were fighting too.  I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Koreas ability to defend itself. 

America is big enough to have somewhere to hold military drills, why do they need to go to the Korean peninsula to do it Confused
are they not drills specifically for defending a north korean attack ?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:04pm

only a day late kimbag ( its on the previous page)
surprised there wasnt a load of old newspapers posted

Embarrassed

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm

exactly. no point in them doing the drills in the backarse of mayo

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Are the US claiming the Korean peninsula to be a US State now or something?

Again, why not have these drills in America , why go within earshot of Pyongyang? 

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:12pm

ConfusedConfusedConfused

Again, why not have these drills in America , why go within earshot of Pyongyang? 

they are drills specifically for defending a north korean attack on south korea ( and others).
if the north attacks the south the US will intervene. 

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:12pm

Why would they do drills aimed to help south korea defends itself against attack anywhere but south koreaConfused

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:21pm

ConfusedConfusedConfused

they are drills specifically for defending a north korean attack on south korea ( and others).
if the north attacks the south the US will intervene. 

So, what your basically saying is the US has colonial interests in the region? Why else would they intervene Confused

The only country to wage a nuclear war in that area of the world(or any part of the world) is the United States. Koreas concern is justified imo.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 6:08pm
http://joe.ie/home/pic-of-the-day/some-impressive-kim-jong-un-doctor-evil-graffiti-in-smithfield-0036393-1" rel="nofollow - http://joe.ie/home/pic-of-the-day/some-impressive-kim-jong-un-doctor-evil-graffiti-in-smithfield-0036393-1

Brilliant!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 6:22pm
2 minute read for anyone that wants to know what's really going on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/opinion/stay-cool-call-north-koreas-bluff.html?_r=0

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:02am
Panorama programme tonight at 8:30. Three undercover journalists accompany a group of students from London school of economics to north Korea. Only problem is they told the students only 1 journalist was going and it wasn't apparently undercover...erm even one journalist goes is it not an issue as in aren't all journos banned in north Korea ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22144667" rel="nofollow - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22144667

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:15am
Will watch this tonight. Seen a programe from a few years ago the other night. Mad country and wouldn't put anything past them after viewing that programe. Tonight's update should be interesting

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Panorama programme tonight at 8:30. Three undercover journalists accompany a group of students from London school of economics to north Korea. Only problem is they told the students only 1 journalist was going and it wasn't apparently undercover...erm even one journalist goes is it not an issue as in aren't all journos banned in north Korea ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22144667" rel="nofollow - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22144667

Just read about it, looks interesting. Students complained about it saying they were pit under acceptable risks by the broadcaster but BBC are still going to air it!

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:03pm
Anyone else watch this?

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:05pm

Anyone else watch this?

Ya, wasn't as good as the National Geographic one on blind people.

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:24pm

Anyone else watch this?

Only watched that the other night (not sure if it only came out recently?). Was chilling hearing about your man that was the 2nd escapee and he got electrocuted to death crossing the border. 

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:32pm
Pretty interesting. How on earth did the North Korean tour guides not figure out he was a journalist Ermm.

Thought the 'Hospital' was a bit funny "So where are all the patients?"..................."They are gone home, they were here earlier" LOL

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:54pm
any links lads

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Anyone else watch this?

Only watched that the other night (not sure if it only came out recently?). Was chilling hearing about your man that was the 2nd escapee and he got electrocuted to death crossing the border. 

That one is a few years old. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Dukla Dukla wrote:

Pretty interesting. How on earth did the North Korean tour guides not figure out he was a journalist
Ermm.

Thought the 'Hospital' was a bit funny "So where are all the patients?"..................."They are gone home, they were here earlier"
LOL

That's some health service they have. No sick people in the entire country

-------------

Posted By: reder
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Dukla Dukla wrote:

Pretty interesting. How on earth did the North Korean tour guides not figure out he was a journalist Ermm.

Thought the 'Hospital' was a bit funny "So where are all the patients?"..................."They are gone home, they were here earlier" LOL

I thought he was done for when he told the doctor that he wasn't a fool about their being no patients in the hospital. Amazing that he got so much footage. The country must be on it's last legs judging by the constant power cuts and lack of activity in Pyongyang. Feel so sorry for the joe soap NK people.

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:14am
There's a deadly vice documentary on YouTube on North Korea, took them a year and a half to get in to the place. The most bizarre place in the world without a doubt....

%20" rel="nofollow - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=24R8JObNNQ4

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:17am
Dunno whether the above link is workin, just search vice North Korea in YouTube, it's an hr long divided into 3 parts...

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:41am
Great little doc. I'd give a ball to have Shane Smith's job.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:26am
The part about power going out is the most worrying. If they did go to war I'm not sure if they would be able to tend to their wounded given the condtion of their hospitals. It seems to be more of a right wing state than communist one.

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 2:05pm
I'm visiting friends in Seoul in June.  They tell me that the atmosphere there is blase and unchanged.  North Korea have cried wolf too many times to take the threats too seriously, however they fear the Americans might over react. 

But surely they won't?  The North Korean nuclear arsenal is presently non-existent.  And when have the Americans ever gone to war over non-existant weap... Ah. 

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

I'm visiting friends in Seoul in June.  They tell me that the atmosphere there is blase and unchanged.  North Korea have cried wolf too many times to take the threats too seriously, however they fear the Americans might over react. 

But surely they won't?  The North Korean nuclear arsenal is presently non-existent.  And when have the Americans ever gone to war over non-existant weap... Ah. 

You've nothing to worry about.Listen to your mates in Seoul,they will know the score.

The Yanks are not taking this as seriously as you'd be lead to believe.

You'll have a mental time in Seoul,especially if you have someone to show you around.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 8:19pm

You've nothing to worry about.Listen to your mates in Seoul,they will know the score.

You'll have a mental time in Seoul,especially if you have someone to show you around.

No, I'm no worried, that was just a poor attempt at a joke Confused

Yes I will indeed have a great time in Seoul.  Will be there at the same time South Korea play their last two World Cup qualifyers at home against Uzbekistan and Iran and plan to go to both.  This also means I will be there when Ireland play Spain in New York.  Can you recommend an Irish pub in Seoul which might be showing the game, kimbap?

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 8:28pm

Yes I will indeed have a great time in Seoul.  Will be there at the same time South Korea play their last two World Cup qualifyers at home against Uzbekistan and Iran and plan to go to both.  This also means I will be there when Ireland play Spain in New York.  Can you recommend an Irish pub in Seoul which might be showing the game, kimbap?

You'll be doing most of your boozing in Itaewon i reckon and thats where the best Irish Pub in Korea is,The Wolfhound.They show GAA,Rugby and football but its through the computer and onto the big screen so maybe go in before and ask one of the lads will they be showing it.If they can find it they will.

Actually scratch that,just saw the times for the match there and it will be on around 9am in Seoul.You'll be doing well to find a pub that will show it at that time.My advice would be to get a few beers and head to an internet cafe with your mates (they wont mind you boozing in there and will most likely even have beer for sale) and get a stream that way.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 8:50pm
Plus the streams there are grand, unlike here. They have some of the fastest internet in the world in South Korea.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:02pm

Plus the streams there are grand, unlike here. They have some of the fastest internet in the world in South Korea.

Yep,they're dead proud of it too!
Apparently its the fastest in the world,i would well believe that.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 9:13pm

Probably thanks to america, but dont tell eire77 that LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 11:16pm

You'll be doing most of your boozing in Itaewon i reckon and thats where the best Irish Pub in Korea is,The Wolfhound.They show GAA,Rugby and football but its through the computer and onto the big screen so maybe go in before and ask one of the lads will they be showing it.If they can find it they will.

Actually scratch that,just saw the times for the match there and it will be on around 9am in Seoul.You'll be doing well to find a pub that will show it at that time.My advice would be to get a few beers and head to an internet cafe with your mates (they wont mind you boozing in there and will most likely even have beer for sale) and get a stream that way.

No chance of seeing the match in a pub at 9am then?  Unhappy

If I have to see the match on an internet stream, won't need to go to an internet cafe.  My hotel has a PC in every room apparently!

Back to the topic of the thread, watching Arirang TV report now on how they perceive foreign TV in Seoul as exaggerating the North Korean threat.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:47pm
BBC4 had an interesting documentary on last night about a few American soldiers that defected to North Korea called Crossing the Line. One of them is still living in Pyongyang today, Very unusual but well worth a watch.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net