Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43486
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 7:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cologne - 11th October 2013 - General Thread
Posted By: Baldrick
Subject: Cologne - 11th October 2013 - General Thread
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 2:57pm
Great city, headed there on the way to Mainz for the game against Georgia. Great brewery there too. 

Replies:
Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:01pm
Great venue , plenty squares for us !

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Great venue , plenty squares for us !

The area outside The Corkonian  would be ideal .Pedestrian street/square and all the pubs have outside seating.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:10pm

Would be ideal - I imagine there will prob be some sort of fan event in Neumarkt also.

Posted By: RonnieB
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:17pm
Oh christ ( I was born there - half german ;) ) will be awkward with the relatives!

*packs marker to write

Scheiß FC-Köln*

-------------
Not Metal Paul

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:21pm

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:22pm
Great news! About a 2hr drive for us from here (with a bit of speeding on the Autobahn) so easy trip and an absolutely great city too! Happy days

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:42pm
stebve -  schaje magik je foto?

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:45pm
Ronnie,
 save on ink

Scheiß FCB"

Posted By: RonnieB
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Ronnie,
 save on ink

Scheiß FCB"

Big smile

-------------
Not Metal Paul

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 4:16pm
Allianz got the game before (austria), would have loved to seen that but this seems perfect the more i look into it

edit - only 41,00 seats though - could be trouble there, is it 5% or 10%?

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 2:41am
you have a few bevvies before you typed that Tom? 'Schatje mag ik je foto'! I'll bring a cd with some of those classics for ya to Polkraine!Know you love 'Dr staat een paard in de gang!'

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:11am
Are many Swedes expected to travel to support their team in their qualifier away to Germany?  It's been scheduled for Berlin on the 16th of October next year.  I realise they are the second seeds in the group, but you'd think our match would have been at the Olympiastadion instead given the numbers for travelling support expected.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:25am

German efficiency how are you.  Brilliant.

Fabulous city stayed there before the Dutch game at Euro88.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:50am
only the Germans, happy days work with a lad from here and he's forever tellin me how great the place is. Will have to see for myself. mailto:%20 -

Posted By: sub of the day
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:54am

Snap gspain.....happy days.We went to the Denmark  V Italy game, which was on in Koln, but its a different stadium now, much better imo, no running track, real football ground.Spent a few hours in an emergency room too, thanks to an Ingerland bottle....sin sceal eile!

-------------
ED

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:56am
Great news, thats me sortd and wil b heading to koln

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:27am
Another 10,000 for this LOL. With the majority not going to Kazach or the Faroes, it will be the first away game for a lot of people since Euros, over a full year later. Demand will be mental

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: mouldymould
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:54am

the cathedral steps is a great drinking spot

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:14am
Originally posted by sub of the day sub of the day wrote:

Snap gspain.....happy days.We went to the Denmark  V Italy game, which was on in Koln, but its a different stadium now, much better imo, no running track, real football ground.Spent a few hours in an emergency room too, thanks to an Ingerland bottle....sin sceal eile!

Was in the Danish end that night.  Great stadium then even but raised to the ground since.  Haven't been in the new one.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:21am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Another 10,000 for this LOL. With the majority not going to Kazach or the Faroes, it will be the first away game for a lot of people since Euros, over a full year later. Demand will be mental  

sweden austria before that Minty

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:22am
back to where it all began.massive Irish crowd there in 1988 accom soret with lads we met then., brilliant city the dogs bollox lads get in there.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

sweden austria before that Minty

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
 Mucho apolagetico..........

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:43am

Unless we are in a 2 speed euro, and us with our mini euros can't afford to buy a drink in the lad of giant euros.  :)

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:22am
Ah back to my 2nd home in Germany i lived there for 12yrs Heart and its a great City,  new stadium is 1000 times better than  the old one (apart from the team that play in it )loads of watering holes 3 friends of mine have pubs there (Corkonian Altermarkt ,Charlies Kleine Büdengasse ,Jameson Friesenstrasse also have a mate of mine who has a Hotel im sure hed be DELIGHTED to put us all up Nuke as its a long way away think we should put this to bed for a while and look after POLKRAINE  first and when the time comes around feel free to PM me .

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:41am
Went on my school tour to Koln 8 years ago!Hope to go slightly more crazy this time!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:51am
hummmmmm was there about 26 years ago , I wonder what has changed since ?? 
To be honest I remember the first time I bought German black bread was there and they sold it by weight , never forgot the taste and loved it ever since .......

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

hummmmmm was there about 26 years ago , I wonder what has changed since ?? 
To be honest I remember the first time I bought German black bread was there and they sold it by weight , never forgot the taste and loved it ever since .......
Pumpernickel Thumbs Down

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
St Pauli - What years were in Koeln ? Just mentioning all the places I used to drink !

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

St Pauli - What years were in Koeln ? Just mentioning all the places I used to drink !
93 -2005 Best years of me life and i was also based there for Euro 88 and didnt see a lot of the place LOL Blamed it on the Kölsch !

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:43pm
Was there in summer 97 and Summer 98 ! Was briefly there in July, stopped in for a pint with Charlie !

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:15pm
Is this anywhere near the Octoberfest?

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:18pm

Was there in summer 97 and Summer 98 ! Was briefly there in July, stopped in for a pint with Charlie !
Ah Charlie good mate of mine hes looking for xtra Barstaff already LOL Es kütt wie es kütt Wink Mir losse der Dom in Kölle Wink Hows ure Kölsch ?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by St.Pauli Reloaded 2 St.Pauli Reloaded 2 wrote:

Ah Charlie good mate of mine hes looking for xtra Barstaff already LOL Es kütt wie es kütt Wink Mir losse der Dom in Kölle Wink Hows ure Kölsch ?
Saw that on facebook ! Once did a shift for Donie Mc in Paddy Murphys but don't think that qualifies !
Kolsch is rusty to say the least !

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:23pm
Why is it not in Cologne?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by mouldymould mouldymould wrote:

the cathedral steps is a great drinking spot
Are they the steps where the english fans went nuts throwing chairs in 2006?

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:30pm

Saw that on facebook ! Once did a shift for Donie Mc in Paddy Murphys but don't think that qualifies !

Ah Donie now back in Sligo some man !Used to play footie with him for the Cölshies (Irish Team in KÖLN )
Donie used to take socks off and clear the dressing room LOL so you probably know a lot of the same lads i knew ?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

Dont know the dates for 2013 but for 2012 its from 22.09 -07.10.2012 .

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:34pm

Ah Donie now back in Sligo some man !Used to play footie with him for the Cölshies (Irish Team in KÖLN )
Donie used to take socks off and clear the dressing room LOL so you probably know a lot of the same lads i knew ?
Was supposed to turn out for the Colschies loads of times - Had issues with getting out of bed on a Sunday morning ! Would know a few of the same lads I reckon.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 5:37am
Originally posted by trapped

Dont know the dates for 2013 but for 2012 its from 22.09 -07.10.2012 .

About 600km and as Pauli wrote there is no time overlap. The Oktoberfest runs over 3 weekends and finishes on the FIRST Sunday in October, unless the 3rd is a Monday (national holiday) (like this year) in which case it runs on the Monday as well.

In 2013 the Austrians will miss out and their game is in München.

Regards
BinM

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:07am
Why is thread title Koln instead of Cologne?
We speaking german on here now?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:10am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

cologne is french no ? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:33am
Dunno Rog but it's how I know it as
Next we will be taking about Munchen

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 7:02am

Next we will be taking about Munchen

no thanks , i've had my lunch already

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:46am

To be precise its Köln Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:02am
Yeah I know but me phone can't do them dot yokes

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:52am

Yeah I know but me phone can't do them dot yokes

Change the LingoLOL

-------------

Posted By: kessler
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:05pm
Lovely city, should be good craic for anyone who goes although obviously a long way away. Went for a UFC there a couple of years ago and thought it was a fantastic place. The cathedral is phenomenal and Jameson bar was a good spot. Dusseldorf was well handy on the train as it's not long and has a regular service (around every 20mins). I wouldn't but a train ticket either, nobody seems to check.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:06pm
BsM

You are allowed to add an e.. Koeln, Muenchen

BinM

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:08pm
Cologne

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by kessler kessler wrote:

Lovely city, should be good craic for anyone who goes although obviously a long way away. Went for a UFC there a couple of years ago and thought it was a fantastic place. The cathedral is phenomenal and Jameson bar was a good spot. Dusseldorf was well handy on the train as it's not long and has a regular service (around every 20mins). I wouldn't but a train ticket either, nobody seems to check.

Wouldnt be encouraging lads not to buy tickets dont nowhere you live, but HERE that is call ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR Clown

-------------

Posted By: danger here
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by kessler kessler wrote:

On the trams and ubahns maybe you could be lucky (and just because you didn't get checked doesn't mean they weren't checking the next carriage) but you will deffo get checked regulary between Cologne and Duesseldorf and if you get caught without a ticket in DB trains your looking at a standard €700 fine and the cops will be waiting at the next station. That's expensive for a 25 min train journey.

One of the flipsides of the system here is that if you abuse it there are no excuses and they generally come down hard, I know one guy who got caught a few times without tickets and he ended up doing time Confused. Anyway, you can travel on a 5 person all day group ticket in that area for around €25 so it's peanuts anyway.

Posted By: kessler
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by danger here danger here wrote:

On the trams and ubahns maybe you could be lucky (and just because you didn't get checked doesn't mean they weren't checking the next carriage) but you will deffo get checked regulary between Cologne and Duesseldorf and if you get caught without a ticket in DB trains your looking at a standard €700 fine and the cops will be waiting at the next station. That's expensive for a 25 min train journey.

One of the flipsides of the system here is that if you abuse it there are no excuses and they generally come down hard, I know one guy who got caught a few times without tickets and he ended up doing time Confused. Anyway, you can travel on a 5 person all day group ticket in that area for around €25 so it's peanuts anyway.

Fair enough, I suggest everyone pays then so nobody blames me! I only said it as any time I went on a train between Dusseldorf airport/Dusseldorf city/Cologne/Oberhausen I never had any bother. Not really worth the risk from what you're saying, but then I didn't really know that beforehand.

Posted By: rossi_eire
Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 10:29pm

really excited about this trip. Was at the Koln - Bayern game may bank holiday. Pre match atmosphere in the beerhouses and around the central station was amazing. 
Although locals fairly pissed off at final whistle as defeat relegated them!

as kessler says fly dusseldorf. ice train to cologne central station 30mins.great people, great kolsch.

see ye there 

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 11:12pm
how many are we expecting to travel to this one, surely they could of picked a bigger stadium to cope with us lot, love it if it was dortmund

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: jackshat
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

how many are we expecting to travel to this one, surely they could of picked a bigger stadium to cope with us lot, love it if it was dortmund

I would live it to be in Dortmund but shur aw well. I am all over this trip anyway, im not too bothered about tickets. Euro 2012 has taugh me that no matter what you will always get sorted if you look hard enough.

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: Andkend
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 8:55am
I spent a summer as a student in cologne- or Koln, great city, three Breweries - Kölsch.

when is it?

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

I spent a summer as a student in cologne- or Koln, great city, three Breweries - Kölsch.

when is it?
More than three - Nearer 25 !

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 1:38pm
Yeah probably right, good beer and very cheap... hotels are not cheap in Koln all year round -

Posted By: filthymcnasty
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 1:51pm
Could someone confirm for me the date of the home game against Germany? Heard a few different dates now. Thanks.

-------------
Going Green on November 14!!

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 1:56pm
Don't bother with using Taxis when over there.........hire a bike ....great exercise and good fun..

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 8:56am
THE German Football Federation has confirmed that their 2014 World Cup qualifying game against the Republic of Ireland will be played in the RheinEnergieStadion in Cologne on October 11th 2013.

It says it on the post - but it is so far away I was surprised people were talking about it .

after Germanys performance last night, i am glad its that far away, it gives us time to get ourselves together.

Posted By: CCCP
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 10:28am
What are the chances of getting tickets for this or the Sweden game ? I've been away with Ireland a few times but the old man hasn't.

Think it's on his bucket list LOL

-------------

12 September 1984, Landsdowne Road, Dublin

IRELAND 1 (Walsh 64') v USSR 0

McDonagh, Devine, Hughton, Lawrenson, O'Leary, Whelan, Brady, Grealish, Walsh, Robinson, Galvin

Attendance: 28,000

Posted By: philkildare
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 4:38pm
Isnt it Oktoberfest over there at that time? could push prices way up!! :(

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 4:53pm
Think it's a choice between either this trip or Vienna. A tough choice too. Thinking Vienna might be better. It is a month earlier so weather would be a tad bit better, plus never been to Vienna.

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think it's a choice between either this trip or Vienna. A tough choice too. Thinking Vienna might be better. It is a month earlier so weather would be a tad bit better, plus never been to Vienna.

depending on cash and time off work I could be the same

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:05pm
Ocktoberfest is the last week of september first two weeks of october, not sure if it going on outside of Munich tho, Berlin has z beer festival along karl Marx allée mid august.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Ocktoberfest is the last week of september first two weeks of october, not sure if it going on outside of Munich tho, Berlin has z beer festival along karl Marx allée mid august.

Oktoberfest is very much a Munich thing. Prices in Cologne won't be above normal. Also, it will (probably) be finished. This year's finishes on Sunday 7th October so presumably next year's will finish on the 6th, with our match in Cologne on the 11th. I really doubt there will be any price impact from it in Cologne.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 6:21pm
What's the average cost of things like alcohol, meals, taxis etc. in Koln? 

I imagine it would be similar to Dublin. 

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Oktoberfest is very much a Munich thing. Prices in Cologne won't be above normal. Also, it will (probably) be finished. This year's finishes on Sunday 7th October so presumably next year's will finish on the 6th, with our match in Cologne on the 11th. I really doubt there will be any price impact from it in Cologne.

If some German with a but of business sense and initiative could make an absolute killing if he threw together some sort of Ocktoberfest  in Cologne.

Probably 2/3 thousand thirsty fans heading over on the lash.Wacko

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Ya and there's every chance this will be a dead rubber. Choosing between the 2 I'll be going for Vienna.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Ya and there's every chance this will be a dead rubber. Choosing between the 2 I'll be going for Vienna.
Yeah the germans will surely be out by then after humiliating defeats to the Faroes and kazaghstanWink

Posted By: trapnoclue
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 8:32pm
thats a good call kerzy we could well be out of the running by the german game

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

What's the average cost of things like alcohol, meals, taxis etc. in Koln? 

I imagine it would be similar to Dublin. 
You imagined wrong Wink you will find it much cheaper youll get change out of a tenner for two drinks !

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 9:20pm

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: magnumpi
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:36am
only just noticed this now.  very disappointing to be in Koln.  was there for the mainz game, not a great city.

would've preferred Berlin, Munich, or Nurnberg.  still, will be cheap enough.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 11:38am
Cologne is a lovely city, spent a week there in 2006 and had a great time.

Also, the ex-West Germany Capital, Bonn, is 20mns away on the metro and has plenty of cheap accommodation as an alternative if things get pricy.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 2:36pm
As I've mentioned before, I've lived in Cologne and it's a great city and the perfect place for the game.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 2:38pm
Great city, stayed in it for a couple of nights before the game in Mainz.  

The small beer here is very popular as opposed to the big Steins in Southern Germany. 

More Pilsner than Weissebeer. 

Great place for the game.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Great city, stayed in it for a couple of nights before the game in Mainz.  

The small beer here is very popular as opposed to the big Steins in Southern Germany. 

More Pilsner than Weissebeer. 

Great place for the game.
Lived there for 12 years and the local beer is Kölsch 0,2 glasses Cool

-------------

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:47pm
Koln ??

we were only just above it when we got campervan in dusseldorf. Handy direct flight from Dubai  Tongue

Posted By: BigJ87
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 2:25pm
would have loved a trip to berlin, was there before Poznan but Koln looks a nice place from what im seeing online here

Posted By: farlz63
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:31pm
back to where it all started used that as base in 88 good city and kolsch was class

-------------
farlz63

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:31pm
New thread. Moving old posts in here.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:06am
Just need to bump this thread to make it easier to move posts into it..

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 10:22am
those trays of kolsch are the business 10 in a tray knock em back , order another tray , it will be messy

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 10:29am
German beer at german prices

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 10:32am

those trays of kolsch are the business 10 in a tray knock em back , order another tray , it will be messy

The Brauhaus looks deadly!Thumbs Up

http://www.google.at/search?hl=de&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=SBW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=603&q=Brauhaus%20Sion&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=7htUUc3SFITJtQbno4CADQ" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.at/search?hl=de&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=SBW&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=603&q=Brauhaus%20Sion&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=7htUUc3SFITJtQbno4CADQ

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 10:38am
Any nice squares in the old town that would suit our needs?

We could be doing with a nice big square...its been a while since we had a good square gathering.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Any nice squares in the old town that would suit our needs?

We could be doing with a nice big square...its been a while since we had a good square gathering.

You'll be wanting the Altermarkt in the old town - 5 mins walk from the train station and the Dom.
Couple of good Irish boozers on the square (Corkonian and Barney Vallelys) and also can shops very close by.

There is another square about a 10 minute walk away , Neumarkt, but that has less boozers around it and i imagine the will be some sort of organised fan event happening up there which will be a bit more formal etc.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 12:26pm
f**k the paddy pubs...I want bavarian style beer halls. Do they have those in western Germany? Is the brauhaus the best there is?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 12:30pm

f**k the paddy pubs...I want bavarian style beer halls. Do they have those in western Germany? Is the brauhaus the best there is?

you are not in bavaria now toto , cologne is the carnival town lots of small pubs , i mean loads of them , not too big on beer halls

havent been up there in a while but last tiem i was that corkonian square was a complete buliding site, is it any better now ?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 12:46pm

you are not in bavaria now toto , cologne is the carnival town lots of small pubs , i mean loads of them , not too big on beer halls

havent been up there in a while but last tiem i was that corkonian square was a complete buliding site, is it any better now ?

Milla is right - They don't go for beer halls , more what the native call "Lokal's" - Small local boozers.
You can go to the Brauhaus pubs but they are nothing out of the ordinary to be honest - Some of the samll Lokals can be a bit of craic with the native though.

I think the work outside the Corkonian was for the extension to the U-Bahn which is now open so should be ok.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:17pm

I hope that doesn't stick LOL

I know thery're not the norm in Western Germany hence the reason why I mentioned it. Will gladly settle for the "Lokal's" and enjoy the craic and hospitality.

Might fly back from Munich...can't be that far on the choo choo.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:19pm

I hope that doesn't stick LOL

I know thery're not the norm in Western Germany hence the reason why I mentioned it. Will gladly settle for the "Lokal's" and enjoy the craic and hospitality.

Might fly back from Munich...can't be that far on the choo choo.

long way , about an hour to frankfurt and then about 3 1/2 to munich and then out to munich airport coudl take you all day ,

best bet is cologne/bonn airport , then dusseldorf or frankfurt,  then hahn or weeze

-------------

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:21pm
Booked it there now with ryanair to Gatwick at €82 and from Gatwick to Cologne €85 all return.Thursday to SATURDAY.So €168 in all

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:22pm
Da owns a place in Munich might go there for a few days either side. Been once but didnt really enjoy it to much but I think I was just going to the wrong places.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Da owns a place in Munich might go there for a few days either side. Been once but didnt really enjoy it to much but I think I was just going to the wrong places.

munich is class SGB , but a fair distance to cologne

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:28pm
Brussels and Amsterdam are close eniugh by train. I booked cork -Amsterdam with aerlingus for €107

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:29pm
Might go on the way home or something. How far we talking distance wise? Went on a Saturday to Monday and tried to head out on the Sunday and everything was more or less closed Confused

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net